PDA

View Full Version : Backbreaker 2: Vengeance - Summer 2011 (XBLA)

cdj
04-12-2011, 10:55 PM
Joystiq has posted an article discussing a new image posted in the BackBreaker forums that suggest a follow-up to BackBreaker may be coming.

It could be a console sequel to Backbreaker, either original or adapted from the iOS Backbreaker 2: Vengeance (which makes sense given the tagline on the image), but the forumites all arrived pretty quickly at the idea that it could be an Xbox Live Arcade/PSN title based on the "Tackle Alley" mode, which tasks players with getting past a line of defenders.

When NaturalMotion is ready to tackle an official announcement, it said, it'll do so on the Backbreaker Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/Backbreakergame).

Courtesy: Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/12/naturalmotion-teases-new-backbreaker-game/)

I OU a Beatn
04-12-2011, 11:57 PM
I'd be down for that. Tackle Alley was the only good part of the game.

JBHuskers
04-13-2011, 06:51 AM
Yep that was a fun mode.

cdj
04-15-2011, 10:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1muwbnQnkM&feature=feedu

Now the Oxford, England and San Francisco-based company is teasing a Backbreaker Xbox Live Arcade sequel, dubbed Backbreaker Vengeance on the game's official Facebook page. The sequel is slated for a summer release.

Paakaa10
06-22-2011, 10:39 PM
Good to see that NaturalMotion is sticking to its guns in terms of screwing over American PlayStation 3 owners:

Link: http://www.pastapadre.com/2011/06/22/backbreaker-vengeance-arrives-next-week

Today NaturalMotion announced that Backbreaker: Vengeance is set to release Wednesday June 29th on Xbox Live Arcade. A timed exclusive for the Xbox 360 it will follow for the PS3 sometime this summer. Despite the release news and being only a week away the company did not reveal the price.

Based on the ‘Tackle Alley’ mini-game and popular mobile version of the same name that introduced a defensive mode and obstacles, Backbreaker: Vengeance features three modes with 70 challenges that will total 350 waves. Tackle Alley, Vengeance (defense), and Supremacy (obstacles) but unfortunately there is no form of online play to go along with that.

Update: Natural Motion has released an updated statement that will be no US release for the PS3 contradicting their previous statements.

“Backbreaker Vengeance will be available in PAL territories on PSN and XBLA however, in North America the game will only be available on XBLA. This is very unfortunate, but it is beyond our control and we would have liked for the PlayStation version to be available worldwide.”

I really can't dream up a set of circumstances which would have allowed for the game to be released on PSN in Europe but not in America. But after the PS3 demo for the original Backbreaker was delayed three weeks after the Xbox 360 demo came out--and European gamers got the demo a week earlier than US gamers--I guess it's not surprising.

At a decent price point, I might have given this a shot; oh well.

steelerfan
06-23-2011, 02:30 AM
I like to take a nice Natural Motion after a big breakfast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

cdj
06-23-2011, 06:54 AM
Good to see that NaturalMotion is sticking to its guns in terms of screwing over American PlayStation 3 owners:

I really can't dream up a set of circumstances which would have allowed for the game to be released on PSN in Europe but not in America. But after the PS3 demo for the original Backbreaker was delayed three weeks after the Xbox 360 demo came out--and European gamers got the demo a week earlier than US gamers--I guess it's not surprising.

At a decent price point, I might have given this a shot; oh well.

One of the BB devs posted this on twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/torstenreil/status/83860919108648960):

BB Vengeance on PS3: we'd love to bring you the game in the US, but it’s down to SCEA. Nothing to do with money or exclusivity.

It sounds like they are putting some pressure (blame?) on Sony for whatever the circumstances are.

Paakaa10
06-23-2011, 08:00 AM
It sounds like they are putting some pressure (blame?) on Sony for whatever the circumstances are.

It just doesn't make any sense to me. Sure, Backbreaker didn't light up the charts in the US on PS3; I'm sure it did even worse in Europe, however. I'm just finding it really hard to conceptualize the scenario where a game based on the sport of American football gets the green light in PAL territories--where the sport is almost universally derided--and doesn't get the go-ahead in the country where the sport is king amongst the professional and collegiate landscape.

I'd say maybe the PSN outage was a problem and contributed, but since the PSN issue was worldwide it doesn't explain why the game would still be available to PAL gamers.

Just can't imagine why SCEA would turn down the game when they presumably make decent bank on games downloaded through the service.

cdj
06-23-2011, 08:47 AM
All I can think is that this is Sony's way of sticking it to NM for wanting to do a timed exclusive deal with Microsoft.

JBHuskers
06-23-2011, 08:56 AM
So what are they getting Vengeance for? Putting out a shitty game :D

I'll get this because like others have said...Tackle Alley was the only cool thing about this game.

I might have to try to get a European PSN card again, or just get it on PS3....haven't decided yet.

I OU a Beatn
06-23-2011, 10:14 AM
BB was so bad. I can't believe I put in the time and effort to get the platinum on that. Looks like not too many other people did, only 6% of the people who played it got the platinum. (http://www.ps3trophies.com/trophy/Backbreaker/Platinum-Trophy) :D

JBHuskers
06-23-2011, 10:19 AM
BB was so bad. I can't believe I put in the time and effort to get the platinum on that. Looks like not too many other people did, only 6% of the people who played it got the platinum. (http://www.ps3trophies.com/trophy/Backbreaker/Platinum-Trophy) :D

I got it for $10 on Target clearance...only played it once. May come back to it some day to whore some trophies...won't ever plat it though.

AustinWolv
06-23-2011, 10:25 AM
I played the demo and then deleted it shortly thereafter.

I OU a Beatn
06-23-2011, 10:37 AM
I got it for $10 on Target clearance...only played it once. May come back to it some day to whore some trophies...won't ever plat it though.

If you want the platinum, you better get to it soon. There's a trophy for winning 20 online games. I boosted that with one of the other 8 guys that has the platinum the day after it came out. :D

I tried it legitimately, and after 5 games of getting up big only to watch my opponent quit(which means the game doesn't count), I realized it was impossible to get it legitimately. A terribly developed game is a terribly developed game, what else can you say?

JBHuskers
06-23-2011, 10:50 AM
I remember all the EA haters saying this game was going to put them out of business :fp: :D :deadhorse:

I OU a Beatn
06-23-2011, 11:39 AM
Yeah, I had a hard laugh at that. There's STILL people that say it's better than NCAA/Madden. Now, don't get me wrong here, I haven't been a fan of a single NCAA Football game this generation yet. I loved Madden 11, but that's the only Madden I've enjoyed so far. However, while NCAA this generation would be about a 6 or a 7, IMO, Backbreaker may be one of the worst games of not only this generation, but of all time. An utterly horrible excuse for a game as far as I'm concerned. I literally can not say enough negative things about it. The camera is laughably stupid, the AI is horrendous, the lack of plays is insulting, no announcing(we want players to feel like they're in the game...LOL...no, you just didn't want to put it in there), etc...

Honestly, it IS the worst game I've ever played, even more so than Terminator Salvation and WET.

JBHuskers
06-23-2011, 11:40 AM
Honestly, it IS the worst game I've ever played, even more so than Terminator Salvation.

That game sucked :D but I plat'd that.

AustinWolv
06-23-2011, 11:41 AM
Man, I thought there were far worse games than T: Salvation.

I OU a Beatn
06-23-2011, 11:47 AM
Man, I thought there were far worse games than T: Salvation.

There are, WET and BackBreaker. :D

JBHuskers
06-23-2011, 11:48 AM
Never played WET, was going to try it sometime.

NatureBoy
06-23-2011, 12:21 PM
I remember all the EA haters saying this game was going to put them out of business :fp: :D :deadhorse::D I remember we had all kinds of trolls on the Madden forum starting thread after thread on how BB was going to be a Madden killer. I wonder where those guys are now? lol

I tried playing the demo when it was released but it was pure crap. Any idea how many points the new game is going to cost? I might bite if the cost is low.

I OU a Beatn
06-23-2011, 12:25 PM
It'll be 800 or 1200MSP, guaranteed.

I'm sure it'll be on PSN eventually. I'm in no rush. Tackle Alley was fun, but I still have bad memories of trying to beat the last 10 or so waves on the original game. Nightmare.

JBHuskers
06-23-2011, 12:27 PM

I'm sure it'll be on PSN eventually. I'm in no rush. Tackle Alley was fun, but I still have bad memories of trying to beat the last 10 or so waves on the original game. Nightmare.

Bet it's $15 (1200 points)

NatureBoy
06-23-2011, 12:28 PM

I'm sure it'll be on PSN eventually. I'm in no rush. Tackle Alley was fun, but I still have bad memories of trying to beat the last 10 or so waves on the original game. Nightmare. I bet you are right about the price. I won't pay that much for it though.

JBHuskers
06-24-2011, 04:19 PM
From Pasta - It'll be $15 (http://www.pastapadre.com/2011/06/24/backbreaker-vengeance-carries-hefty-price)

I OU a Beatn
06-24-2011, 04:31 PM
There's no way anyone in their right mind is going to pay $15 for that.

Paakaa10
06-24-2011, 04:41 PM
That price point is way too high for a collection of mini-games; if you could also play 11-on-11 for that $15 charge--and you could buy it on an American PS3--I'd say it was about right for me.

I'd hazard a guess that the Backbreaker developers didn't think it would go this poorly for them on consoles when they first started developing the game. They've made a ton through their mobile versions of the game, but the console versions have been unmitigated failures both critically and financially.

NatureBoy
06-24-2011, 05:46 PM
From Pasta - It'll be $15 (http://www.pastapadre.com/2011/06/24/backbreaker-vengeance-carries-hefty-price):D I'm out! There's no way I would pay 15 bucks for this game.

JeffHCross
06-25-2011, 09:46 PM
That price point is way too high for a collection of mini-games; if you could also play 11-on-11 for that $15 charge--and you could buy it on an American PS3I'll double check once it's released, but I'm pretty certain that there's an easy way to get around that ...

Paakaa10
06-25-2011, 10:08 PM
I'll double check once it's released, but I'm pretty certain that there's an easy way to get around that ...

Creating a European account and adding funds or getting a UK PSN card? I know there are work-arounds. At $15 for three mini-games, it's not worth the extra trouble.

Even if it was coming out for the US PSN, $15 is too much for what you get in return. Especially when you consider that you can get Backbreaker--which has 11-on-11 football plus Tackle Alley--as a new copy for under $15 now.

I OU a Beatn
06-26-2011, 12:07 AM
It'll come to the US eventually. I'll wait until that happens and then it goes on sale for under $10. I bought BB launch day and I'll never do that again.

JeffHCross
06-26-2011, 12:35 AM
Creating a European account and adding funds or getting a UK PSN card? I know there are work-arounds. At $15 for three mini-games, it's not worth the extra trouble.True. But since I already have one, it might be worth it for me, lol.

And yeah, until reading up some more on it today, I didn't realize it was only a spruced up Tackle Alley. That's utterly ridiculous for $15.

I OU a Beatn
06-26-2011, 08:57 AM
I have my doubts that the original full game of BB would be worth $15.

JBHuskers
06-27-2011, 10:51 AM
:D :D :D

So I just said on Twitter than there is no way I'm paying $15 for this game when the same version on iPhone is $1.....guess what Backbreaker @ replied me on Twitter even though I didn't even @ reply them on my message saying:

Actually it's not the same thing, engine runs in real time, multiplayer, 4 times more waves and a new rival system :)

:D :D :D they are searching Twitter for any mention of them and replying

I OU a Beatn
06-27-2011, 11:24 AM
Ask 'em what their excuse was for charging $50 for BB.

JBHuskers
06-27-2011, 11:25 AM

I responded back telling them there is no way I'll pay $15 for it and that's the general consensus.

AustinWolv
06-27-2011, 01:13 PM

A better question would be what their excuse was putting out a piss-poor game regardless of price.

JBHuskers
06-27-2011, 01:21 PM
Yeah at least I only paid $9.99 for my copy brand new at Target. I think it was maybe four-five months after release that I got it at that price too :D

I OU a Beatn
06-28-2011, 08:54 PM
Ended up getting a free 4000MSP card today, so I might actually get this tomorrow since I'm now going to have over 10,000MSP on my account.

JBHuskers
06-28-2011, 08:54 PM
I have 5400 in mine and am still not paying 1200 for it :D

I OU a Beatn
06-28-2011, 09:01 PM
Yeah, I may have a hard time when it comes to the confirmation screen. The only chance it has it as an impulse. Too bad you can't account share on Live. I'd share the wealth. :D

JBHuskers
06-28-2011, 09:01 PM
Yeah, I may have a hard time when it comes to the confirmation screen. The only chance it has it as an impulse. Too bad you can't account share on Live. I'd share the wealth. :D

I appreciate the sentiment :)

I OU a Beatn
06-28-2011, 09:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDMPh0xrKRo

Hmm, this may require a second thought.

JBHuskers
06-28-2011, 09:15 PM
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s159/jbennett98/Smiley-Snoring.gif

Paakaa10
06-28-2011, 09:19 PM
I bet 505 Games and Natural Motion were thrilled to have consented to that live demo and then have the Gamespot guys saying that the "only" thing wrong with the first game was "the football."

JBHuskers
06-28-2011, 09:20 PM
The price is going to drop quick on this bad boy just like the first Backbreaker.

JBHuskers
07-11-2011, 08:53 AM
Just read the IGN review (http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/118/1180119p1.html) (4.5) on this :D

The best part:

This isn't football; this is a football-themed obstacle course.

I OU a Beatn
07-11-2011, 11:43 AM
So true. I downloaded the trial, played it for 30 seconds, and deleted it. They got my $50 last time like a sucker, they're not getting $15 more.