PDA

View Full Version : Help: No Picture on PS3 via HDMI?

CLW
04-12-2011, 02:26 PM
So I got home from my trip and I setup my PS3 and it fired up fine as usual. I go back to the CPU for a bit and push the source button on my monitor to switch back to HDMI and all I get is a black screen.

I'm on the phone with an HP rep and so far he is of ZERO help. He keeps trying to say my CPU graphics card needs to be updated. I keep telling him I see my CPU fine through DVI its when I try to switch to HDMI that I get a black screen.

I thought it might be my HDMI cord went and bought a new one same issue.

I checked my PS3 and I get a picture of it in SD through my component connection so I don't think its a PS3 issue.

If anyone knows anything about this stuff hit me up on AIM (clw22580).

CLW
04-12-2011, 04:12 PM
UPDATE: So I call back and Indian guy #2 was even less help than Indian guy #1. So I said wtf I'm going to power down and unplug everything and see what happens and what do you know it works. Not sure why/how what I did solved the issue but I am now back up and running.

Final Score

2 Indian Tech guys: 0

CLW: 1

:nod:

gschwendt
04-12-2011, 04:15 PM
That's pretty much the first step in troubleshooting just about anything... power down and back up.

CLW
04-12-2011, 04:17 PM
That's pretty much the first step in troubleshooting just about anything... power down and back up.

Yeah we joke at the office before calling IT with any issues that the solution must always be Control Alt Delete/Power Down/Power Back Up. That seems to resolve way too many issues.

morsdraconis
04-12-2011, 04:18 PM
More than likely a heat issue. Anytime there's something funky going on with the HDMI (be it sound or video) it's almost always a heat issue.

CLW
04-12-2011, 04:27 PM
More than likely a heat issue. Anytime there's something funky going on with the HDMI (be it sound or video) it's almost always a heat issue.

Now that you mention it the PS3 did feel much hotter than normal but maybe I'm wrong.

morsdraconis
04-12-2011, 05:04 PM
With it getting hotter around the country, it's definitely something to keep an eye on. Lord knows it's the biggest thing to keep an eye on with computers so a PS3 or 360 shouldn't be any different.

Easiest thing to do is make sure it's sitting somewhere that gets lots of ventilation and isn't sitting on top of another piece of electronics. Other than that, I'd just keep an eye on it. If it keeps getting hot, then I'd definitely worry about it (maybe find a box fan or something to stick next to it to help with heat distribution and make sure the ventilation for the system isn't stopped up with dust), but, otherwise, it's probably just a freak occurrence.

Marlowe
04-13-2011, 10:20 AM
Sounds like a settings switch caused your black screen. If you hold the power button down for about 5 seconds or so you'll hear two beeps. The ps3 will auto detect your current setting and you should get a screen asking if you want to switch. Since you were able to see the screen on SD, the video settings switch was probably the culprit.

skipwondah33
04-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Power Down/Power Back Up. That seems to resolve way too many issues.

That is my first solution to any problem I get called with. "Did you power it down for about a minute, then power it back up?". They say yes all the time before I can even finish the sentence but say it still doesn't work, then when I go to their office to do just that it magically works all of a sudden. I love when they ask what happened..if I'm on edge I'll dive into the most complex off the wall stuff on computing. If I'm feeling nice I'll just say gremlins :D

I'll make note that I work with 97% females in the company

CLW
05-02-2011, 03:46 PM
WTF it's doing it again. :smh: Going to attempt power down and back up and see if I can avoid HP's Indians today.

Perhaps some of you techies can explain the issue to me. I think I know the issue but no clue what is causing it.

DVI works fine. When I go to switch the source to HDMI it says active but the Box says:

Current Settings = 31.4KHz V=59Hz

Recommended Settings = 1920 x 1080

CLW
05-02-2011, 03:59 PM
UPDATE: Yep turning power off and powering back up fixed the issue and the PS3 works now. Oddly, it did that HDMI thing to confirm my PS3 is using a HDMI/1080P connection. I clicked yes and boom works like normal now.

If any of you guys have ANY clue what could be causing the settings on my monitor to change let me know. I didn't have the PS3 on at all today (it worked fine last night). I have been using my CPU most of the day on DVI searching for jobs. It's just a pain in the ass to unplug which apparently causes my color settings to reset to the factory default.