PDA

View Full Version : NBA Jam: On Fire Edition (PSN & XBLA)

JBHuskers
04-05-2011, 04:05 PM
From ESPN's Jon Robinson: (http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/videogames/blog/_/name/thegamer/id/6297114/ea-sports-makes-two-major-announcements-regarding-their-nba-video-game-franchises)

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0729/vg_nbajam_5_576.jpg

EA Sports announced today that they are in development of "NBA Jam: On Fire Edition," a new version of the classic series that will be available this October via Xbox Live Arcade and the PlayStation Network.

According to the game's press release, the new edition will feature:

REAL AI: Featuring the ground-breaking AI system used in the Fight Night franchise that learns your tendencies and throws them back in your face.

JAM Arena: Play solo, or team up with friends and take on the world in a new, dynamic online competition.

Road Trip: A cooperative online campaign where you can team up with friends and compete in a series of white-knuckle challenges against the current superstars and timeless legends from each of the 30 NBA Teams.

Tag Mode and Team Fire return: Swap players "on the fly" and ignite your entire team by performing consecutive cooperative moves.

More NBA JAM Hotness: Online roster updates, more NBA superstars, legendary NBA players, over-the-top animations, JAM challenges, secret teams and unlockable characters than ever before.

In addition, EA Sports also announced that their next NBA simulation game won't be released until fall 2012. The title is being created by a new development team at EA Tiburon, and according to EA Sports president Peter Moore, the extra time is needed to get the engine done right.

Said Moore: "As planned, our next NBA simulation title is in development at our Tiburon Studio in Orlando. We have top talent on the game, and we're giving the new development team time to deliver a superior experience. We're making great strides and looking forward to launching a new game next year."

Hear that noise? It's the people at 2K Sports celebrating another year without competition.

cdj
04-05-2011, 11:06 PM
I love that they are going to put out another edition and the features sound great, but I do wish they would have provided more support for the disc version of NBA Jam. Maybe the game wasn't coded to allow it, but even a roster update and minor bug fixes would have been huge. Some people are upset (understandably so) that they spent $50 for the disc version last fall that had little support and the next version will be PSN/XBL & likely significantly cheaper.

JBHuskers
04-06-2011, 08:16 AM
Online roster updates :nod:

cdj
07-19-2011, 09:28 PM
First Look from ESPN Video Games (http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/videogames/blog/_/name/thegamer/id/6784402/fire-edition-first-look?readmore=fullstory):

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0708/vg_jam_9_576.jpg

Dirk Nowitzki hits four three pointers in a row, rips the ball out of D-Wade's hands and pulls up to the arc. But before busting another triple in LeBron's face, digital Dirk does something, well, that you'd only see in a game like "NBA Jam" -- Dirk starts doing the "Dougie."

That's right, Dirk's doing the "Dougie" right there in the middle of the game just to taunt the Heat, then he goes ahead and hits his fifth three granny style to add even more insult to injury.

These are just some of the crazy things gamers will experience in EA's upcoming "NBA Jam: On Fire Edition," a download-only title that will be available for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 this fall for just $15 and will include all new showboating Razzle Dazzle moves along with the ability to tag between ballers (the single biggest request after last year's game), enabling you to switch back and forth to control either player on your team.

Other gameplay additions include the ability to call for alley-oops, the ability to call for shoves (which can be used like picks on offense), as well as team fire that triggers after three consecutive alley-oops.

"We found online that when people were playing, nobody was talking," says the game's creative director Trey Smith. "So we wanted to add some more trash talking elements like team fire into the game, we wanted to add more showboating so if you're ahead of somebody by 10 points, you shoot a granny shot just to rub it in a little bit. You can even stop to tie your shoes if you want. We just want to give people the ability to express yourself in the game."

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0708/vg_jam_6_576.jpg
When it's time to talk trash, bust a three while taking a seat.

On top of those slick new elements, the "Jam" team has really focused on improving the core 2-on-2 gameplay, ditching the boss battles and Remix levels in favor of providing some of the best basketball A.I. the series has ever seen.

"We're actually using the same Real A.I. technology that was in 'Fight Night Champion' and there are so many things that this technology is doing for us," explains Smith. "Instead of just the old-school way of players reacting to the way the program is written, now we are actually able to play the game, record that gameplay, and have the A.I. play exactly how we want them to play. It's a much more organic way of playing because we are able to link together all of these amazing sequences and the players out on the court just play so much better than they ever have before.

"The other thing Real A.I. does is called a Mirror Match. Here, the game records the way you play and analyzes how you play, and then you can play against yourself. So every time you play, the A.I. is getting better and better and better. Then when you play someone else online, you're A.I. merges with their A.I. to make an Uber A.I. and it turns into this viral phenomenon."

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0708/vg_jam_5_576.jpg
Dirk dominates the Heat in video games, too.

But that's not all as also new online will be co-op campaign mode and an online tournament called Arena where you're able to take on the best "Jam" gamers from across the world.

Smith even promises more teams and players than any "NBA Jam" game to date, including the return of some retro players that didn't make it into last year's re-launch.

"There's one surprise NBA team that people are going to love," says Smith. "We tried to get these guys in the game last year, but finally the NBA was down and they're in this year's game. I can't say who it is, but trust me, it's going to be a great surprise."

SmoothPancakes
07-19-2011, 09:31 PM
I realize this is a pure arcade game and whatnot, but my god, what is up with the bobblehead size heads? Who made that decision?

cdj
07-19-2011, 09:54 PM
I realize this is a pure arcade game and whatnot, but my god, what is up with the bobblehead size heads? Who made that decision?

They had those in last year's version as well. It looks goofy at first, but you get used to it and it adds to the arcade feel of the game (in a good way).

JBHuskers
07-20-2011, 09:04 AM
Wonder who the mystery team is.....Jordan and Pippen? The '92 Dream Team?

NatureBoy
07-20-2011, 06:25 PM
I really didn't enjoy last year's game but for $15 bucks, I will download this one on release day.

JBHuskers
07-20-2011, 06:45 PM
I really didn't enjoy last year's game but for $15 bucks, I will download this one on release day.

I really loved it...still play it from time to time. Brought me back.

cdj
07-26-2011, 10:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWwmsUd667Q

cdj
08-04-2011, 02:45 PM
A new game blog discussing the addition of team & players as well as player archetypes (http://www.ea.com/nba-jam-on-fire/blog/whats-cooking).

http://web-vassets.ea.com/Assets/Richmedia/Image/NewsArticle/jhud17-image13_656x369.jpg?cb=1312484248

Wanted to give ya’ll some more details on what we’ve got cooking in JAMLAND. With the On Fire Edition of NBA JAM, the goal was to add lots of new ingredients to the mix without screwing up the tried and true recipe we’ve all come to know and love. Here is some more info on some of the things you guys and gals have been asking about.

New Secret Characters, Players, and Teams – Yup, we’ve got LOTS of them. In fact, I do believe we have the most teams and players that have ever been feature in an NBA JAM game. Take that Sega Genesis version! Just kiddin’, love my old school versions. Anyway, we circled back around and scooped up many of the current stars that didn’t make the cut last year, for whatever reasons, and have done a better job of evening things out for each team. We’ve also added a handful of NEW legends that were missing last year. Hopefully, you’ve already seen Dikembe Mutombo rocking the retro Nuggets jersey. He’s a MONSTER dunker and blocker by the way. And there are many more legendary Jammers in the hopper. Also, based on surveys and online telemetry data we’ve collected from players of last year’s version, we’ve noticed that there are many JAM Fans out there that are Gamers first and basketball fans second. A good chunk of the Secret players and teams we ran with last year are back and have been cleaned up, but there are a BUNCH more. We’ve added more “gamer-centric” teams and players this go around. I wish I could spill the beans on them to you guys right now but the “powers that be” have told me I have to wait. I will however, give you a hint. Let’s just say there is going to be a lot more fur flying on the court this go around. And for the “hardcore” gamers out there, you know who you are, we’ve got some of your favorite video game characters making an appearance in NBA JAM this year. Very cool stuff and we’ve even created some special dunks for some of them. Okay, I’ve probably said too much already, but just wanted to let you know that there are Players and Teams for every gamer out there, even non basketball fans.

http://web-vassets.ea.com/Assets/Richmedia/jhud17-image24blog.jpg

New Player archetypes – This was a big one for us. Just as in real life, players have a role to play on the NBA JAM court based on their inherent abilities and weaknesses. Checking out your player and team stats is critical when playing competitively because you want make sure you can match up against the players your opponent is putting on the floor. From a competitive gameplay perspective, NBA JAM has always been a 2 vs. 2 fighting game. If you don’t know how to play your characters you’re just asking for a spanking. Basically, based on their real stats, we’ve assigned every player (Current Star, Legend, and Secret player) an Archetype. Those archetypes are as follows.

Point Guard

Examples: Jason Kidd, Rajon Rondo

Strengths – Speed, Passing, Mid-range shooting, Ball handling, Steals

Weaknesses – Blocks, Shoves, and Dunks

Shooting Guard

Examples: Steve Nash, Ray Allen

Strengths – Outside Shooting, Passing

Weaknesses – Dunks, Blocks, Shoves

Big Man

Examples: Dwight Howard, Shaquille O’Neil

Strengths – Blocks, Dunks, Rebounds

Weaknesses – Speed, Ball handling, Outside Shooting

Forward

Examples: Chris Bosh, Zach Randolph

Strengths – Mid-range Shooting, Shoves, Rebounds

Weaknesses – Steals, Pass, Speed

All-Rounder

Examples: Kobe Bryant, Dirk Nowitzki

Strengths – Balanced

Weaknesses – Balanced

Most are pretty self explanatory, but there are big differences in each archetype and it’s integral that you are familiar with each archetype’s strengths and weaknesses if you want to be able to roll with every team. There is also a juicy XP BONUS in NBA JAM: On Fire Edition for players that hit the “Random Team” button before entering a game. This feature was implemented to encourage people to play with ALL the teams on the roster because anyone can win with The Heat but it takes a true Jammer to pull off a W with some of the other franchises that are well…. in the process of “rebuilding.” J

And lastly, we’ve been getting lots of questions about “REAL AI” and how it makes NBA JAM better. Well, I could tell you myself, but I thought it would be even better for you guys to hear it from the man that is directly responsible for it, our Lead AI Engineer, Mr. Fraser Lott. Fraze is knee deep in a tuning pass right now, but some day very soon, he will be right HERE dropping some REAL AI knowledge, exclusively on our website. Be sure to keep an eye out for it.

Until next time, thanks again for stopping by and we hope to see you again real soon.

JBHuskers
08-04-2011, 03:12 PM
I can't wait for this!

cdj
08-22-2011, 08:30 PM
NBA Jam: On Fire Edition will feature the return of the Seattle Supersonics with Shawn Kemp, Gary Payton and Detlef Schrempf.

So when EA Sports announced the return of "NBA Jam" to consoles last year, old school gamers like myself couldn't wait to get our hands back on "Glove" and "Reign Man" for one last leap through the rafters.

Only problem was, due to licensing issues, Kemp and Payton weren't included as legends in the game, causing much frustration and outrage among all the die-hard Sonic fans out there.

Thankfully for gamers (and everyone else out there looking for more alleys and less oops), EA Sports and the NBA worked out their differences, and the team of Gary Payton and Shawn Kemp will be included in the upcoming downloadable title, "NBA Jam: On Fire Edition" for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

"This is an important day for 'Jam' fans," says "NBA Jam's" creative director, Trey Smith. "We tried to get this Sonics team last year but it didn't quite pan out. And this is something the fans were screaming for. This was at the top of their list, and that's a big deal to us. When we were creating 'NBA Jam: On Fire Edition' we wanted to listen to the fans, and everyone who played the game last year had one question: Where are the Sonics.

The game also features some new online modes:

"Let's be honest, the online experience really wasn't there last year," admits Smith. "It's something we scratched the surface with, but with 'On Fire Edition,' we tried to create the most seamless online and offline experience that we could. And for online, we have three modes. The first is Jam Now. Here you can bring up to four players into a game and you can mix and match between your buddies on the couch and your buddies online. This is for unranked play where you can screw around with things like Big Head mode and one-shot fire and some of that fun stuff."

The second mode is called Road Trip, and this is a co-op online campaign. "This is something else fans have been asking for," says Smith. "We had co-op campaign that was local, but this time we're bringing it online. This allows both players to play on the same team and they both get credit and experience as they progress through each stop. This mode is all about traveling to all 30 NBA locations and completing a series of challenges that become more difficult as you go." Road Trip is also a mix and match of players for each franchise as the bronze challenge might be the third and fourth player on a team, but by the time you get to the gold and platinum challenges, you're going up against the legends and the best two players on the court.

The final online mode is set to scratch that competitive itch for gamers looking to see their names on top of the 'NBA Jam' leaderboard.

"The third mode is called Arena, and this is different because it's a dynamic online tournament that gets progressively more difficult as you go," explains Smith. "It has a seven day clock on it and it's ticking '24' style on the screen. So the goal is to win as many games as you can before that clock expires.

"Everybody starts out in the same pool, but as you win and climb that ladder, your opponents get more and more difficult. Then, if you win enough, you make it to the diamond ring, and here you play the best of the best online."

Gamers even have the ability to play Arena cooperatively, and every seven days, all the rankings get wiped in order to constantly crown a new "NBA Jam" king.

"Hardcore sports fans are also going to appreciate all of the new kicks we have in the game," adds Smith. "Last year we had generic shoes, but this year, sneaker heads will get a kick out of seeing some of the funny old shoes we have in 'Jam' like the Robinson Pumps.

Courtesy: ESPN Video Games (http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/videogames/blog/_/name/thegamer/id/6885614/boomshakalaka-payton-kemp-return-nba-jam?readmore=fullstory)

JBHuskers
08-22-2011, 09:33 PM
NBA Jam: On Fire Edition will feature the return of the Seattle Supersonics with Shawn Kemp, Gary Payton and Detlef Schrempf.

I balled with that team quite often back in the day....and surprisingly didn't get anyone pregnant!

bdoughty
08-22-2011, 10:15 PM
I balled with that team quite often back in the day....and surprisingly didn't get anyone pregnant!

:D (http://instantrimshot.com/index.php?sound=rimshot)

cdj
08-23-2011, 08:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auIhZ6l5-DI

cdj
08-25-2011, 08:42 AM
New blog on R.E.A.L. AI (http://www.ea.com/nba-jam-on-fire/blog/what-is-real-ai)

I’m Fraser, AI Lead for NBA JAM: On Fire Edition. As Trey mentioned in last week’s JAM update, http://www.ea.com/nba-jam-on-fire/blog/whats-cooking, I wanted to follow up on the R.E.A.L AI feature that we brought in for this year’s game. You guys deserve a clear explanation of the tech, and why we felt it was a good fit for JAM.

The Name: You can’t create good tech and not give it a name; given that the name sounds like a contradiction, let’s start there. Over time, the tech has come to be named Real AI. Initially though, it was R.E.A.L. AI, the acronym being Record, Evaluate, Adapt, Learn. That pretty much sums up what the system does.

The Tech: Players of different skill levels play the game. The system records them playing, cuts their play session into up into what we call ‘sequences’, and then records what the defense was doing during each of these sequences. We then take those sequences, run them through various processes, and the AI can then use them when they see the defense doing something similar to the recording.

This system was initially in Fight Night, but we’ve added a number of features to make it what it is today. One of my personal favorite additions is the ability of the system to record YOUR sequences, and then play them back against you on the highest difficulty. What’s even cooler is that when you go online, it takes the best of your sequences, and the best of your teammate/opponents, and merges them. That means the more you play online, the tougher the highest difficulty will be for you.

Archetypes: The system categorizes each sequence to fit specific player archetypes. In other words, a sequence that has a cross-over step back shot at the elbow won’t be playing for Dwight Howard, whereas a spin to dunk won’t be playing for Steve Nash. This only really becomes apparent over time, but really shines when you play the online co-op Road Trip mode (more to come). This also means that the guys with a balanced game are the toughest competitors as they are much harder to read as to their next move.

Difficulty: Game difficulty was something that I looked closely at over the course of the year, ensuring that it was balanced, ramped up smoothly, and most importantly was fun at all levels. Real AI played a big part in achieving the right balance for us. Essentially, during development we took stock of every sequence played, and what the outcome was. For example, say a sequence with a 3pt shot played 300 times over the course of the year. It was blocked 250 times, missed 40, and only went in 10 times. The system would then peg that as an easy sequence, and it would only then show up in the easiest difficulty. Similarly, if it went in 250 times, missed 40 and was only blocked 10 times, then it might show up in the hardest difficulty.

Smooth Game-play: This can’t be understated. I’ve worked in AI and game-play for many years, and it is very difficult to write code that makes AI look human. This system takes a different approach, assessing the situation, and then playing back actual human input. The result is such that without the indicators, there are times when you’re hard pressed to tell whether you’re playing against someone online, or against the AI.

Until next time, thanks again for stopping by and we hope to see you again real soon.

cdj
08-31-2011, 07:28 AM
Four Euroleague teams will be in NBA JAM: On Fire Edition

Electronic Arts and Euroleague Basketball are pleased to announce their licensing partnership that makes the leading global interactive entertainment software company an official partner under the video gaming category. Under this agreement EA SPORTS will include Turkish Airlines Euroleague players in the upcoming release of the mythical arcade game NBA Jam: On Fire Edition.

http://www.euroleague.net/rs/33713/2e901457-cc65-4a5f-8d15-da9440dc8a03/bc1/filename/image-madrid.jpg

This is the first time that European clubs will be officially represented in the NBA JAM franchise, one of the most successful video games in sports history. All fans will be able to choose any of the four participating teams in the last Turkish Airlines Euroleague Final Four. Dimitris Diamantidis and Mike Batiste of Panathinaikos Athens, Lior Eliyahu and Sofoklis Schortsanitis of Maccabi Electra Tel Aviv, Bo McCalebb and Ksistof Lavrinovic of Montepaschi Siena, Sergio Llull and Carlos Suarez of Real Madrid will be amongst the players representing the four Euroleague teams in the 2–on–2 basketball games.

Link (http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/87317/180/euroleague-basketball-announces-licensing-partnership-with-ea-sports)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VMci30MMUM

cdj
09-08-2011, 05:16 PM
NBA JAM: On Fire Edition will be out on PSN Oct. 4, XBL Oct. 5.

cdj
09-15-2011, 07:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_AKcf-P8Gc

JBHuskers
09-15-2011, 07:51 PM
LOL I dunno why but those badgers crack me up.

cdj
09-15-2011, 11:14 PM
Here's a blog detailing online features in NBA JAM: OFE. (http://www.ea.com/nba-jam-on-fire/blog/howdy-there-jammers)

JBHuskers
09-15-2011, 11:15 PM
This is going to be a steal for $15.

cdj
09-20-2011, 08:46 PM
New video from GameTrailers discussing Online Progression in NBA JAM:On Fire Edition (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-advanced-nba-jam-on/721157)

JBHuskers
09-21-2011, 12:00 AM
This game keeps looking better and better.

cdj
09-27-2011, 04:49 PM
NBA JAM: On Fire Edition preview from GamerTag Radio (http://www.gamertagradio.com/new/2011/09/preview-nba-jam-on-fire-edition/)

ESPN Video Games: NBA Street Characters Invade NBA JAM (http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/videogames/blog/_/name/thegamer/id/7026786/nba-street-characters-invade-jam?readmore=fullstory)

cdj
09-28-2011, 06:33 PM
SSX Characters in NBA JAM: On Fire Edition (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/sports/nba-jam-on-fire-edition/video/6336932/nba-jam-on-fire-edition--ssx-unlockables-exclusive-trailer)

GamesRadar Preview (http://www.gamesradar.com/nba-jam-fire-edition-hands-preview/)

cdj
10-01-2011, 04:56 PM
Blog detailing the unlock system in NBA JAM: OFE (http://www.ea.com/nba-jam-on-fire/blog/unlocking-the-unlocks). It sounds like a nice improvement over last year's game.

So who else is picking this up on Tuesday?

JBHuskers
10-03-2011, 11:12 AM
First review is out 9.0 from IGN (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/119/1197452p1.html)

cdj
10-05-2011, 07:24 AM
Played two games last night....pretty fun.

- Played on Easy (default) and CPU is more effective on jump shots.
- You get 10,000 JAM Bucks if you played last year's NBA JAM.

Anyone else getting this on PS3? I'd like to see more action from friends on JAMnet to compete against.

I OU a Beatn
10-05-2011, 08:12 AM
I may be getting it on 360 depending on how everyone thinks of it. I wasn't a big fan of last year's Jam, but it was alright. What did you think of it, CDJ?

JBHuskers
10-05-2011, 08:38 AM
Played two games last night....pretty fun.

- Played on Easy (default) and CPU is more effective on jump shots.
- You get 10,000 JAM Bucks if you played last year's NBA JAM.

Anyone else getting this on PS3? I'd like to see more action from friends on JAMnet to compete against.

Did you start out at Level 10 too for playing last year?

I really liked it. Only had time to get one game in last night. Did a Jam Now game with Celtics v. Wizards. A couple of my money moves in the old Jam didn't always work, so I can tell the AI is a little better.

cdj
10-05-2011, 09:35 PM
I may be getting it on 360 depending on how everyone thinks of it. I wasn't a big fan of last year's Jam, but it was alright. What did you think of it, CDJ?

It's NBA Jam....:D...what were your issues with last year's game?

This year seems better with the ability to unlock whatever you want and the online stuff seems pretty cool, but I have only played two games so I haven't run into any issues yet. For that matter, the two games I played were on Easy as I got my bearings back under me after not having played JAM in a month or so (and the controls seem slightly different).

Violator
10-05-2011, 10:22 PM
I bought it cause I was a huge fan of the game on arcade. But holy hell. sometimes the game is so cheap its not funny. i told JB one of the games i was playing they had like 30 blocks in a game. i scored 8 points. yeeeeeaaaahhhh a bit stupid

I OU a Beatn
10-06-2011, 07:34 AM
It's NBA Jam....:D...what were your issues with last year's game?

This year seems better with the ability to unlock whatever you want and the online stuff seems pretty cool, but I have only played two games so I haven't run into any issues yet. For that matter, the two games I played were on Easy as I got my bearings back under me after not having played JAM in a month or so (and the controls seem slightly different).

My issue with the one last year was the horrid controls. It didn't even feel like it was designed to be played with a controller and everything felt really clunky. I didn't like the $50 price tag, either, but that obviously isn't a problem with this one.

JBHuskers
10-06-2011, 08:39 AM
I bought it cause I was a huge fan of the game on arcade. But holy hell. sometimes the game is so cheap its not funny. i told JB one of the games i was playing they had like 30 blocks in a game. i scored 8 points. yeeeeeaaaahhhh a bit stupid

It's been programmed to be cheap since 1992 :D

That's why it's called the NBA Jam comeback....when you have a huge lead.

But yeah in your case there, that was kinda ridiculous.

JBHuskers
10-06-2011, 08:39 AM
My issue with the one last year was the horrid controls. It didn't even feel like it was designed to be played with a controller and everything felt really clunky. I didn't like the $50 price tag, either, but that obviously isn't a problem with this one.

Hmmmm. Guessing you didn't play the original then. It plays like the original EXACTLY.....that's one of the main reasons I love it.

Violator
10-06-2011, 02:46 PM
It's been programmed to be cheap since 1992 :D

That's why it's called the NBA Jam comeback....when you have a huge lead.

But yeah in your case there, that was kinda ridiculous.

so true. Didnt realize blake was that dominant. funny thing is i played a couple games after the Cards game last night and just demolished them. My question is where is Jordan? I couldve swore he was on the arcade version and I know Reggie Miller was cause i used to rock him and rik smits

JBHuskers
10-06-2011, 03:00 PM
so true. Didnt realize blake was that dominant. funny thing is i played a couple games after the Cards game last night and just demolished them. My question is where is Jordan? I couldve swore he was on the arcade version and I know Reggie Miller was cause i used to rock him and rik smits

Jordan has never been on Jam. Neither has Shaq (except for maybe last year's game).

I OU a Beatn
10-06-2011, 04:06 PM
Hmmmm. Guessing you didn't play the original then. It plays like the original EXACTLY.....that's one of the main reasons I love it.

I meant last year's NBA Jam. I haven't tried this year's version. The two reviews I've read so far say the game controls much better, so that definitely alleviates my biggest concern.

Violator
10-06-2011, 04:11 PM
Jordan has never been on Jam. Neither has Shaq (except for maybe last year's game).

he wasnt on the arcade version? the old stand up one circa mid 90's id say
i couldve sworn it was jordan and pippen on it.

JBHuskers
10-06-2011, 04:13 PM
he wasnt on the arcade version? the old stand up one circa mid 90's id say
i couldve sworn it was jordan and pippen on it.

Nope.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Jam

JBHuskers
10-06-2011, 04:14 PM
More on Shaq: Shaquille O'Neal appears only in the arcade version because his likeness was no longer licensed by the NBA by the time the home console versions were developed, and the cost was too high to include him in the game (much like Michael Jordan).

And he was on the 2010 game.

JBHuskers
10-06-2011, 04:17 PM
I want.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nice-NBA-Jam-commercial-coin-op-basketball-arcade-game-/170707003253?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27beee2775

Violator
10-06-2011, 05:11 PM
man i thought jordan was on it. though i was stoned 99.9% of that decade so the memory is fuzzy. i do remeber sir charles and dan marlje on it and dunking with chuck and shooting 3's with dan

Violator
10-06-2011, 05:13 PM
I want.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nice-NBA-Jam-commercial-coin-op-basketball-arcade-game-/170707003253?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27beee2775

yep thats the game. man i wasted thousands on that game. you know i dont like nba basketball but for some reason love this game. think its just the boom shakalakas

JBHuskers
10-06-2011, 06:16 PM
man i thought jordan was on it. though i was stoned 99.9% of that decade so the memory is fuzzy. i do remeber sir charles and dan marlje on it and dunking with chuck and shooting 3's with dan

Thunder Dan was a BEAST from 3.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Violator
10-06-2011, 10:42 PM
yeah he was. a buddy of mine and me would play that and just destroy it. the game is a blast, we need to get together and do some online

cdj
10-07-2011, 08:53 PM
I meant last year's NBA Jam. I haven't tried this year's version. The two reviews I've read so far say the game controls much better, so that definitely alleviates my biggest concern.

They changed up the controller layout some. Last year I think they ported from the Wii, this seems like it was designed for PS3/360.

I OU a Beatn
10-12-2011, 01:50 AM
Holy shit, this is way better than last year's game. I only tried the trial game, but it's going to be really hard for me not to fork over the points for it. It seems like the ultimate time killer game.

JBHuskers
10-19-2011, 09:58 AM
Unlocking the Unlocks.... (http://www.ea.com/nba-jam-on-fire/blog/unlocking-the-unlocks)

JBHuskers
01-31-2012, 11:50 AM
Roster update is now live. I'll post the update once it is on the website.

NatureBoy
02-01-2012, 08:19 AM
:( For the Lakers, the only roster move moving Lamar Odom to the Mavs. No new players were added.

JBHuskers
02-01-2012, 08:27 AM
Yeah it looks like no new players were put in, just updated rosters from guys already in the game.

cdj
04-13-2012, 02:58 PM
Rosters updated and the following players added:

- Kyrie Irving
- Jimmer Fredette
- Jeremy Lin
- Derrick Williams
- Tristan Thompson
- Brandon Knight
- Kemba Walker
- MarShon Brooks
- Nene
- DeAndre Jordan
- Darren Collison
- Aaron Afflalo
- Roy Hibbert
- Kyle Lowry

cdj
01-24-2013, 05:10 PM
No details yet, but a new roster update for NBA JAM: On Fire Edition is now available.

CLW
01-24-2013, 05:34 PM
No details yet, but a new roster update for NBA JAM: On Fire Edition is now available.

This game is pretty fun but the lag online makes it almost unplayable. I went through the offline mode and got most of the trophies with the exception of the online one where you basically have to win like 50 games.

JBHuskers
01-24-2013, 09:29 PM
Rosters are completely updated. Rookies like Kidd-Gilchrist and Anthony Davis are in. Harden on the Rockets...basically anything even semi-major is updated. I can imagine everyone using the Lakers with Kobe and Dwight :D

NatureBoy
01-25-2013, 08:13 AM
:up: It's pretty cool to get a roster update after all this time. Talk about out of the blue. It was after midnight when I saw this posted. I barely got the roster update finished when the internet went out. Dwight and Kobe are unstoppable. If only they played that well together in real life.

cdj
01-25-2013, 03:16 PM
It looks like they put up a new roster file since the old one had Kidd on the Mavs and Knicks. Now he is only in NY.