PDA

View Full Version : Machinima Sports: NCAA Football 12 Interview - Visuals & Pylon Physics

cdj
03-24-2011, 09:02 AM
http://thegamingtailgate.com/images/NCAA12/NCAA12Pylon.png

Machinima Sports (http://www.youtube.com/user/MachinimaSports) has posted a Skype interview NCAA Football 12 Art Director Jean Adams and Producer Ben Haumiller. The interview reviews the previous announced visual improvements, but also discloses a new small, but authentic addition to the game: Pylon Physics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AunRxw8WZiA

Image and video courtesy Machinima.com (http://www.machinima.com/).

psusnoop
03-24-2011, 09:08 AM
Interesting, nice little touch. Something small but yet something real, I like it.

CLW
03-24-2011, 09:22 AM
Its no wind socks but I've been clamoring for pylons that obey the laws of physics. Who cares if the players do not obey the laws of physics. :nod:

cdj
03-24-2011, 09:42 AM
Looks like a pretty cool touch. I'm interested in seeing how many ways there are in 'reaching out' or 'hitting' the pylon to score. With a close defender, will players run towards the pylon and hope to hit it as being brought down so as to get the score versus being down at the 1 or 2? It could also make for some cool scores (and screenshots) on breakaway scores, as in the Machinima shot. The game does need more excitement/action down the goalline and this could be good start.

JBHuskers
03-24-2011, 10:05 AM
It'll be cool if there are plays where the player is reaching for the pylon, and it prompts an instant replay as to if he gets the touchdown or not.

oweb26
03-24-2011, 10:31 AM
I can see the "I got robbed of a TD" threads already, or maybe thats another site. :bang:

I have seen some questionable Instant replay calls in my games already.

morsdraconis
03-24-2011, 10:39 AM
I can see the "I got robbed of a TD" threads already, or maybe thats another site. :bang:

I have seen some questionable Instant replay calls in my games already.

Just imitating real life man. ;)

jaymo76
03-24-2011, 10:42 AM
:up: Nice addition as one of those little things. In truth it doesn't do much for me but whatever. A visual improvement is a visual improvement.

MCdonnieG
03-24-2011, 11:06 AM
Boy O boy they're inching out the details bit by bit!!:P Pylon physics is definitely a subtle touch that'll be appreciated further down the line. Knowing that EA SPORTS is paying attention to the smallest details makes me wonder what else we're in store for!:drool: Sorry...excuse my drool!

Jayrah
03-24-2011, 05:25 PM
Little touch will make a real impact in how the goalline game feels for me. I've always been bothered by sliding through the digi-pylons. Every little thing helps. Like some have said, reaching out to get to it would be a really sweet touch!

steelerfan
03-24-2011, 07:23 PM
What's up with the UGA player's shoes? It looks like he's wearing two different styles, lol.

The pylons have been a bother for years, I'm glad to see this. The grass looks so good, i can't say that enough!

gschwendt
03-24-2011, 07:26 PM
What's up with the UGA player's shoes? It looks like he's wearing two different styles, lol.
Well, you can do that in the player edit screen... though on NCAA11, it's only mid/low/generic I believe.

baseballplyrmvp
03-24-2011, 08:15 PM
What's up with the UGA player's shoes? It looks like he's wearing two different styles, lol.maybe he's the kicker? http://www.w54.biz/images/smilies/dunno.gif

Jayrah
03-25-2011, 03:44 AM
So far the football has been well proportioned. If you'll remember last year, we were worried because in every single shot the ball was a different size. Also, the helmets are looking SO AMAZING this season. They must have made the facemasks smaller cause it finally fits players' faces.

On the subject of extracurricular physics. With the grass coming into play (again hopefully only on real grass fields, and then on the field turf hopefully we get the rubber pellets), and now the Pylons, I am hoping for extra follow through sideline play. For example a defender running a ball carrier out of bounds, and late hits from low awareness defenders, etc. It may not seem like the same arena but the idea of momentum affecting things "outside the actual play itself" falls under the same umbrella. And if something like chain gangs is added, I would want to see that type of a thing interact with the chains, with players jumping over, the chain gang dropping the yard markers, etc. That, along with the other 2 additions, would add tremendously to the realism factor of the game.

skipwondah33
03-25-2011, 08:10 AM
Wasn't this already in the game several versions ago before then it was taken away?

steelerfan
03-25-2011, 12:55 PM
Jayrah, I'm under the impression that late hits wouldn't be allowed, by the NCAA, to be in the game. I wish they were though. The game needs more penalties and more penalty variety.

cdj
03-25-2011, 01:06 PM
Wasn't this already in the game several versions ago before then it was taken away?

I can't remember. I think on PS2 you may have been able to run into the pylons and make them slide across the field. I can't remember if hitting them triggered a score though or if there were any 'physics' behind it. (May have been a destructible object for lack of a better term.:P)

skipwondah33
03-25-2011, 01:29 PM
Yeah it was PS2. No I don't think hitting them validated a score but I know they moved when you hit either of them (the one in the back of the endzone and the goal line) Hell I would just like to see them move again lol

JBHuskers
03-25-2011, 02:15 PM
I can't remember. I think on PS2 you may have been able to run into the pylons and make them slide across the field. I can't remember if hitting them triggered a score though or if there were any 'physics' behind it. (May have been a destructible object for lack of a better term.:P)

Those things had rockets underneath them... :D

steelerfan
03-25-2011, 03:44 PM
Those things had rockets underneath them... :D

No kidding, lol. I actually used to get annoyed at frequency of running into the chain gang. Those bastards were blind! Get outta my way!!

Jayrah
03-25-2011, 08:50 PM
double post...

Jayrah
03-25-2011, 08:54 PM
Jayrah, I'm under the impression that late hits wouldn't be allowed, by the NCAA, to be in the game. I wish they were though. The game needs more penalties and more penalty variety.

Fans rushing the field, team fights....Not allowed.

New animations and accurate representation of the rules in place for a penalty.... yes it is allowed. *see Facemasks, Roughing the Kicker/Passer/Punt Returner.

A BLATENT spear or jump on the pile after the play is over... maybe not. But a momentum play accurately (judgment call included so not ALWAYS a penalty) enforced on the sideline would be acceptable.

EDIT: Srry for 2x post. I didn't see the first one pop up ever. Until after this one was done.

JeffHCross
03-25-2011, 09:16 PM
No kidding, lol. I actually used to get annoyed at frequency of running into the chain gang. Those bastards were blind! Get outta my way!!Hahahaha. I'd forgotten about this. I used to get a big laugh of how they'd fall all over you if you just touched them.

steelerfan
03-25-2011, 09:24 PM
Fans rushing the field, team fights....Not allowed.

New animations and accurate representation of the rules in place for a penalty.... yes it is allowed. *see Facemasks, Roughing the Kicker/Passer/Punt Returner.

A BLATENT spear or jump on the pile after the play is over... maybe not. But a momentum play accurately (judgment call included so not ALWAYS a penalty) enforced on the sideline would be acceptable.

EDIT: Srry for 2x post. I didn't see the first one pop up ever. Until after this one was done.

I know the rules. I'm just saying that I don't think the NCAA wants late hits in the game. Kind of like the NHL doesn't want blood in EA's NHL series and the NFL insists on a complete right of veto over Madden content.

And I know there were late hits in the game years ago, btw.

Jayrah
03-26-2011, 06:21 AM
Yeah my point was that it's a 'violent' game. Ncaa hasn't taken out or regulated late hits to certain players or injuries. Late hits are a part of the game. I don't think late hits and blood fall under the same category as far as the regulators are concerned. You might be right. I just don't see why that would be the case.

JeffHCross
03-26-2011, 09:53 AM
Because while Late Hits are part of the game, the NCAA doesn't encourage them. So if you'd give them the choice between allowing late hits and not allowing late hits, they're going to always take the latter.

steelerfan
03-26-2011, 12:00 PM
Because while Late Hits are part of the game, the NCAA doesn't encourage them. So if you'd give them the choice between allowing late hits and not allowing late hits, they're going to always take the latter.

Well said.

Jayrah
03-26-2011, 02:53 PM
Anything that there is a penalty for is something they don't "encourage". That's why there are rules in the game. I am pretty sure hitting the qb after the throw isn't "encouraged", and they've made that clear. Yet it's a part of the game. I am not looking for "dirty" plays, such as defenseless receivers being crushed or a Nick Farely play with a blatent late hit in the middle of the field, or anything like that. Just a momentum play on the sidelines where I (or cpu, depending on awareness different players would be more apt to make a mistake and hit someone out there) would have to be smart on the sticks to avoid a penalty, just like any real life defender would. Basically anything that constitutes a clean football play but isn't allowed because it is outside of the boundaries. As far as the game is concerned, it would give another aspect to players defensively that you'd have to consider when putting them in the game. How apt are they to take a penalty due to their awareness factor.

JBHuskers
03-26-2011, 04:47 PM
Hahahaha. I'd forgotten about this. I used to get a big laugh of how they'd fall all over you if you just touched them.

I always LOVED that when you'd plow the hell out of the chain gang....same with the coach.

JeffHCross
03-26-2011, 06:38 PM
I always LOVED that when you'd plow the hell out of the chain gang....same with the coach.I enjoyed it when it was a full speed run over, 'cause it worked then. But there were other times when my player would be on the ground, the chain gang would come jogging up, they'd collide and the chain gang would fall over like they'd been attacked.

steelerfan
03-26-2011, 10:07 PM
Anything that there is a penalty for is something they don't "encourage". That's why there are rules in the game. I am pretty sure hitting the qb after the throw isn't "encouraged", and they've made that clear. Yet it's a part of the game. I am not looking for "dirty" plays, such as defenseless receivers being crushed or a Nick Farely play with a blatent late hit in the middle of the field, or anything like that. Just a momentum play on the sidelines where I (or cpu, depending on awareness different players would be more apt to make a mistake and hit someone out there) would have to be smart on the sticks to avoid a penalty, just like any real life defender would. Basically anything that constitutes a clean football play but isn't allowed because it is outside of the boundaries. As far as the game is concerned, it would give another aspect to players defensively that you'd have to consider when putting them in the game. How apt are they to take a penalty due to their awareness factor.

I know what you're asking for, and I couldn't agree more. I would love to see that in the game. I'm just saying I'm almost certain that late hits out-of-bounds were removed at the request of the NCAA. If they don't want it in, it's not going in.

Jayrah
03-27-2011, 03:04 PM
Gotcha. :smh: