PDA

View Full Version : Madden NFL 12 Cover Athlete Voted on by the Fans - Winner: Peyton Hillis

cdj
03-21-2011, 08:39 AM
Madden NFL 12 Cover Athlete Voted on by the Fans

Campaign Puts Power into the Hands of the Fans;

All 32 NFL Teams Represented in Cover Athlete Vote Exclusively Through ESPN.com

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s159/jbennett98/MaddenBracket.jpg

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS) announced today that football fans across the country will have the opportunity to select the next cover athlete for the award-winning Madden NFL franchise. Beginning today and continuing through April 27, fans can participate in a bracket-style voting campaign on www.ESPN.com/MaddenVote and choose among 32 candidates (one representative from every NFL team) to appear on the cover of Madden NFL 12. Fans’ votes will determine which NFL players advance through the seeded bracket, culminating in the reveal of the Madden NFL 12 cover athlete on ESPN’s “SportsNation” on April 27.*

“So this year we’re handing the keys over to the public. ESPN continues to be a tremendous partner of the Madden NFL franchise, and it makes perfect sense for ‘SportsNation’ to be the platform that gives fans the ultimate say in who graces the cover of Madden NFL 12.”

Green Bay Packers quarterback and Super Bowl XLV MVP Aaron Rodgers, former Madden NFL cover athletes Drew Brees (quarterback, New Orleans Saints) and a wave of NFL stars including Michael Vick (quarterback, Philadelphia Eagles), Maurice Jones-Drew (running back, Jacksonville Jaguars), Adrian Peterson (running back, Minnesota Vikings) and Julius Peppers (defensive end, Chicago Bears) are among the 32 candidates.

Tune in to ESPN’s “SportsNation” today (March 21) at 4pm Eastern Time to see the full Madden NFL 12 cover athlete bracket.

“Whether it be from fans, media, agents, or even the players themselves, there’s never a shortage of opinions when it comes to the annual selection of the Madden NFL cover athlete,” said Anthony Stevenson, Senior Product Manager of EA SPORTS. “So this year we’re handing the keys over to the public. ESPN continues to be a tremendous partner of the Madden NFL franchise, and it makes perfect sense for ‘SportsNation’ to be the platform that gives fans the ultimate say in who graces the cover of Madden NFL 12.”

From March 21 – April 27, fans can log on to www.ESPN.com/MaddenVote to vote daily for their favorite cover athlete candidate. Every Monday throughout the campaign, fans can tune in to ESPN’s “SportsNation” at 4pm Eastern Time for the latest voting results and see who will advance to the next round. Fans can also visit the Madden NFL Facebook page www.facebook.com/EASPORTSMaddenNFL) to fill out their own Madden NFL 12 cover athlete bracket to compete against their friends and co-workers for the chance to win a variety of prizes including Super Bowl tickets and copies of Madden NFL 12. Visit www.facebook.com/EASPORTSMaddenNFL for Official Rules.

“ESPN is proud to continue its tradition of serving fans by collaborating with EA SPORTS and putting the cover vote of Madden NFL 12 in their hands,” said Raphael Poplock, Vice President, Games & Digital Partnerships, ESPN. “We believe ESPN provides the perfect platform for fans to be heard, and encourage everyone to support their favorite representative in this bracket-style vote.”

Candidates from each NFL team were selected and seeded based on a variety of criteria including on-the-field performance during the 2010 NFL season, their visibility within their franchise and community, and their personal career journey.

The Madden NFL 12 cover vote marks the second-consecutive year that EA SPORTS has asked fans to help shape the face of the Madden NFL franchise through a cover athlete voting campaign. Last year, New Orleans quarterback Drew Brees, fresh off a Super Bowl XLIV MVP award, won the fans vote to appear on Madden NFL 11, beating out Indianapolis Colts wide receiver Reggie Wayne and Minnesota Vikings defensive end Jared Allen.

morsdraconis
03-21-2011, 08:42 AM
Yeah, so espn.com/maddenvote isn't working yet apparently...

steelerfan
03-21-2011, 08:45 AM
Just give it to Rodgers and be done with it, lol.

Tommy, it's time for you to make 32 more of those "I Want" tags. ;)

JBHuskers
03-21-2011, 08:46 AM
Wonder if a "Cinderella" cover athlete will make it ....

gschwendt
03-21-2011, 08:51 AM
Tommy, it's time for you to make 32 more of those "I Want" tags. ;)
That's what avatars are for. Besides, nobody plays Madden do they? :)

steelerfan
03-21-2011, 08:56 AM
That's what avatars are for.

I guess the ;) didn't make it an obvious joke. My bad.

JBHuskers
03-21-2011, 08:58 AM
From @EA_SPORTS_Rob Just to clarify - voting and the full bracket of 32 selections for the #Madden 12 campaign will be revealed at 4pm ET on SportsNation.

(assuming the site won't be live til then...)

morsdraconis
03-21-2011, 08:59 AM
I'm just hoping they didn't choose Donovan McNabb for the Redskins... Boy that would be awkward when we trade his useless ass the minute the CBA is reinstated.

morsdraconis
03-21-2011, 08:59 AM
Just to clarify - voting and the full bracket of 32 selections for the #Madden 12 campaign will be revealed at 4pm ET on SportsNation.

(assuming the site won't be live til then...)

Yeah, after re-reading it, I figured that would be the case.

gschwendt
03-21-2011, 09:00 AM
I guess the ;) didn't make it an obvious joke. My bad.Nah... I knew it was a joke, I was just making sure I didn't volunteer myself for it.

steelerfan
03-21-2011, 09:03 AM
I was just making sure I didn't volunteer myself for it.

You volunteered yourself by doing the NCAA ones. :D

gschwendt
03-21-2011, 09:03 AM
I'm just hoping they didn't choose Donovan McNabb for the Redskins... Boy that would be awkward when we trade his useless ass the minute the CBA is reinstated.I'm sure they'll be wise enough to select Rex Grossman instead.

steelerfan
03-21-2011, 09:06 AM
I'm sure they'll be wise enough to select Rex Grossman instead.

:D

Wake up on the wrong side of the bed, G? Lol!

morsdraconis
03-21-2011, 09:10 AM
Truthfully, hopefully they choose LaRon Landry or Brian Oriakpo. Or at least go with Chris Cooley.

gschwendt
03-21-2011, 10:35 AM
Bracket is live
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/feature/madden2012cover

JBHuskers
03-21-2011, 10:40 AM
First post updated with bracket....

JBHuskers
03-21-2011, 10:46 AM
I voted for:

Suh
McFadden
Bradford
Peppers
Orakpo
Sanchez
Woodhead
Freeman
Freeney
Vick
Charles
A. Johnson
Hillis
12th Man
Gross
Dunlap

morsdraconis
03-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Oh good. They did go with Orakpo.

skipwondah33
03-21-2011, 12:12 PM
Rodgers or Rivers will likely win it. I voted for both

And my wildcard is Vick

jaymo76
03-21-2011, 01:47 PM
The 12th man????????????????? How exactly would that look on a video game cover???

steelerfan
03-21-2011, 02:19 PM
The 12th man????????????????? How exactly would that look on a video game cover???

What is the other option in Seattle? :dunno:

Kwizzy
03-21-2011, 02:26 PM
I voted for most of the defensive players and Jake Long but I'm not optimistic that the masses will as well... I'm pulling for Suh and Woodhead! (shocked that Woodhead got a 4 seed!)

skipwondah33
03-21-2011, 02:27 PM
What is the other option in Seattle? :dunno:
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/09w54pmbn82VM/439x.jpg

JeffHCross
03-21-2011, 06:54 PM
Rodgers or Rivers will likely win it.No, see, that's logical.

There's no way a fan vote follows logic. Especially if some website out there gets the idea to throw all of their votes to, say, Jordan Gross.

SmoothPancakes
03-21-2011, 07:30 PM
No, see, that's logical.

There's no way a fan vote follows logic. Especially if some website out there gets the idea to throw all of their votes to, say, Jordan Gross.

Which is why I hate fan votes for stuff. This is going to become the online/video game version of the NBA All-Star game and Yao Ming being voted as a starter thanks to China. It's not who actually deserves to be on the cover. It's who people can get votes whored out for.

skipwondah33
03-21-2011, 07:58 PM
lol I know or Danny Woodhead winning it like I posted in another thread.

Paakaa10
03-21-2011, 08:19 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/09w54pmbn82VM/439x.jpg

In the event that The 12th Man wins the cover vote, I want all of the fans chosen for the cover to re-enact that pose.

Details
03-21-2011, 08:57 PM
Does anyone think EA would let Drew Brees have the cover again?

This has to be somewhat controlled.

JBHuskers
03-21-2011, 11:27 PM
For Seattle I'd argue against Lynch because he has been there one year....on the same token I kinda :smh: at Peppers representing Da Bears, as much as I like him and he's a phenomenal player...I could name Forte, Urlacher, Briggs, Kruetz as better choices.

steelerfan
03-21-2011, 11:52 PM
Lynch likely has a longer rap sheet than EA wants to deal with. He's not personable and lacks a lot of "spokesman" qualities.

ram29jackson
03-22-2011, 07:57 PM
Lynch likely has a longer rap sheet than EA wants to deal with. He's not personable and lacks a lot of "spokesman" qualities.

you mean like a brain or IQ ?

like i said ,the 12th man idea might link to some new thing in the game about the crowd/fans.

plus- Seattle got in with a losing record, thats not cover worthy

JBHuskers
03-23-2011, 03:25 PM
Would you believe this???? From Jon Robinson's Twitter:

Tim Tebow losing @EAMaddenNFL 12 cover vote to Jamaal Charles, 65% to 34.9% I'm shocked at this one. What do you think @EASPORTS fans?

steelerfan
03-23-2011, 03:29 PM
I voted for Charles. This is Madden, not NCAA. Wtf has Tebow done in the NFL? Backups don't belong on the cover.

JBHuskers
03-23-2011, 03:36 PM
I voted for Charles. This is Madden, not NCAA. Wtf has Tebow done in the NFL? Backups don't belong on the cover.

No kidding, I voted for Charles, but in the pick'em contest on Facebook, I had Tebow going to the finals LOL cuz I honestly thought he was going to get voted :smh:

morsdraconis
03-23-2011, 03:52 PM
So, can you vote more than once or just once?

steelerfan
03-23-2011, 03:56 PM
No kidding, I voted for Charles, but in the pick'em contest on Facebook, I had Tebow going to the finals LOL cuz I honestly thought he was going to get voted :smh:

It's a popularity contest. Half of the equation is how many people don't like Tebow. Outside of The Swamp, Denver, and some church houses, I'd guess A LOT. And 90% of it isn't his fault, it's the media gushing, lol.

JeffHCross
03-23-2011, 07:24 PM
So, can you vote more than once or just once?Just once ... at least once per day. I haven't tried to go back and vote again. But some of the individual votes took 4 or 5 tries to be recorded.

MCdonnieG
03-24-2011, 08:57 AM
I predicted Suh and Vick in the Finals...Vick getting the win. Sorry he's one of my all-time favorite athletes! I would love to see a Defensive player make it (Suh,Orakpo) but I highly doubt that they'll pull it off. My wild card is Chris Johnson.....and what the heck is so cool about the 12th man?!? Shoot they stole their name from Texas A&M anyway!!:whoa: WHOOP!!

morsdraconis
03-24-2011, 09:16 AM
If Vick's sick ass wins this shit, I'll boycott Madden on principle.

jaymo76
03-24-2011, 10:50 AM

Charles is one hell of a player and deserves huge recognition for his role in making the Cheifs a contender this past season. Tebow was the man in college but IMO he is approaching his 15 minutes of NFL fame...

jaymo76
03-24-2011, 10:52 AM
For Seattle I'd argue against Lynch because he has been there one year....on the same token I kinda :smh: at Peppers representing Da Bears, as much as I like him and he's a phenomenal player...I could name Forte, Urlacher, Briggs, Kruetz as better choices.

Personally for the Hawks I would have went with Trufant for D or Hasselbeck for O. For the Bears I agree. It has to be Forte or Briggs.

MCdonnieG
03-24-2011, 11:33 AM
If Vick's sick ass wins this shit, I'll boycott Madden on principle.

Man I felt the hatred come off of your comment! I take it you feel the same way about Rothlisberger?!? Forgive and let go bud!! Can't deny his ability, I'm a Die-Hard Redskin fan and find it hard to root for him now due to the Division Rivalry...but yep been a fan since V-Tech....if he doesn't win I'll still pick up the game, no one person will ever stop me from playing Madden...

JBHuskers
03-24-2011, 12:14 PM
Looks like the 12th Man is getting beat as well...

jaymo76
03-25-2011, 05:42 PM
Looks like the 12th Man is getting beat as well...

This has to be included for a reason as there are far better selections. I'm going on record and saying that HOMEFIELD ADVANTAGE will be a huge part of Madden 12.

steelerfan
03-25-2011, 06:55 PM
Perhaps Mr. Madden should put his old boss on the cover. :nod:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_bCh-gAJte7Y/TTgM0hKqpOI/AAAAAAAAbXg/Cp_RXP7ap74/s1600/Al%2BDavis%2BWiki%2B%2B5.jpg

Warning: The following link contains a picture of Al Davis so frightening, I did not want to post it here.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/19/ten-more-highlights-from-the-epic-al-davis-press-conference/

jaymo76
03-25-2011, 07:23 PM
Perhaps Mr. Madden should put his old boss on the cover. :nod:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_bCh-gAJte7Y/TTgM0hKqpOI/AAAAAAAAbXg/Cp_RXP7ap74/s1600/Al%2BDavis%2BWiki%2B%2B5.jpg

Warning: The following link contains a picture of Al Davis so frightening, I did not want to post it here.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/19/ten-more-highlights-from-the-epic-al-davis-press-conference/

Um yeah, this cover may stop me from buying Madden 12. The really makes you think about what it means to be the Raiders in OWNER MODE... yikes!

cdj
03-28-2011, 11:33 AM
I'm seeing on Twitter that New England's Danny Woodhead has advanced past the first round.

gschwendt
03-28-2011, 11:36 AM
I'm seeing on Twitter that New England's Danny Woodhead has advanced past the first round.
The matchups are updated

JBHuskers
03-28-2011, 11:37 AM
For those that want to see the results on TV, it'll be on Sportsnation today.

JBHuskers
03-28-2011, 11:39 AM
The matchups are updated

Woodhead will get by Nicks easily, but then has Rodgers.

SmoothPancakes
03-28-2011, 01:42 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why they went with Drew Brees for the Saints. EA will never let Brees be on back to back Madden covers.

JBHuskers
03-28-2011, 02:47 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why they went with Drew Brees for the Saints. EA will never let Brees be on back to back Madden covers.

They've addressed that and will put him in if he wins the vote.

CLW
03-28-2011, 03:12 PM
Tebow must win! PETA protests would be funny though should Vick grace the cover. I'm rooting for one of those two.

SmoothPancakes
03-28-2011, 03:12 PM
They've addressed that and will put him in if he wins the vote.

Damn. In that case, I'm still wondering why they went with him after he was just on the cover, and didn't find someone else on the Saints to go with.

CLW
03-28-2011, 07:11 PM
Rooting for Willis at this point.

ram29jackson
03-28-2011, 08:46 PM
I still think Favre should have been in the running-the greatest stat leader of all time- why not?

ram29jackson
03-28-2011, 08:55 PM
it was dumb in the beginning putting distinct favorites against distinct underdogs Brees should go against Rodgers first round while Bradford should go against Freeman etc

ram29jackson
03-28-2011, 08:58 PM
Putting Suh against Rodgers was Dumb. It also proves most of the voters dont know crap about football and are just popularity whores because Suh only got a 28% of the vote = I was a Suh voter haha

Woodhead beating Steve Johnson is disgusting

JBHuskers
03-30-2011, 03:19 PM
From ESPN's Jon Robinson....

Michael Vick might be one of the most polarizing athletes of our time, but when it comes to the "Madden" audience, they treat him for who he is in their world: The greatest video game quarterback ever created. And because of Vick's continued dominance in the franchise, it looks like he could be unstoppable in the "Madden NFL 12" cover vote as he has already jumped out to a commanding 61% to 39% lead over Andre Johnson.

But those aren't the only numbers I've been able to get my hands on as thanks to the editors over at SportsNation, I have a new update on some of the other Round 2 results so far.

One of the more intriguing names in the tournament is Danny Woodhead. Here we have a guy who gets cut by the Jets on "Hard Knocks" and turns out to be one of the most popular players in the league upon joining the Patriots. And if the fans keep turning out to vote for him like they have the first two rounds of the "Madden" vote, his new nickname might just be "The People's Champ." Woodhead is beating Hakeem Nicks, 58% to 42 % and shows no signs of slowing down. Could he be the sleeper pick to win it all?

In other running back news, Peyton Hillis leads Matt Ryan by less than 1,000 votes in their match-up, while Jamaal Charles has also taken a slight lead over Maurice Jones-Drew after they were tied in votes just yesterday.

Meanwhile, Drew Brees is dominating Mark Sanchez by a 61% to 39% margin in the battle of quarterbacks who have already appeared on the cover of an EA Sports product. Can Brees really avoid the curse two years in a row? We might just find out if his fans keep voting so passionately.

skipwondah33
03-30-2011, 03:32 PM
Wow if Woodhead wins

JBHuskers
03-30-2011, 03:51 PM
Wow if Woodhead wins

He's who I'm rooting for to win...if he goes up against Vick in the finals, I bet there will be enough negative against Vick to push him in, but he'd have to get by Aaron Rodgers first, which will not be a gimme by any means.

morsdraconis
03-30-2011, 04:00 PM
Anyone but the criminal is fine with me.

JeffHCross
03-30-2011, 07:38 PM
Wow if Woodhead winsLet's be honest -- lots of people are voting for him because "He-heh ... Wood ... Head ... He-heh

gschwendt
04-04-2011, 11:35 AM
Next round is up for voting

CLW
04-04-2011, 01:53 PM
Next round is up for voting

Someone needs to contact those loons at PETA and get them to vote for my boy Willis.

JBHuskers
04-04-2011, 04:10 PM
This round I went:

Woodhead
Hillis
Brees
Willis

CLW
04-04-2011, 04:22 PM
This round I went:

Woodhead
Hillis
Brees
Willis

I saw you looking at me when I voted. Cheater! :smh:

JeffHCross
04-04-2011, 08:25 PM
Same here. At this point I just hope it's not Vick.

ram29jackson
04-04-2011, 09:12 PM
haha if Vick was so hated he would have been eliminated by now .

At this point for Madden freaks he is a clear favorite. Woodhead is a scrub and shouldn't even be in the vote

steelerfan
04-04-2011, 09:17 PM
Voted Rodgers, Charles, Peterson, Willis.

JeffHCross
04-04-2011, 09:40 PM
haha if Vick was so hated he would have been eliminated by now .At this point for Madden freaks he is a clear favorite.Well, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. Vick is a major favorite with the Madden fans -- yet disliked by a sizable portion of the general public. Since Madden fans are likely to be the majority of the voters in this, it's probably going to lean that way, even though it is a public vote.

There's also the possibility some people are voting the "Wouldn't it be hilarious if Vick got the cover?" route.

morsdraconis
04-04-2011, 10:27 PM
I vehemently hate that fuckin' criminal and I can't believe people are willing to give him the damn cover... Jesus christ, do we need to show pictures of the TERRIBLE things that Vick did to animals (and knowingly fuckin' allowed to happen to them) before people get the idea the dude isn't "cured" and is magically a better person. He's still a fuckin' moron that willingly allowed innocent animals to be TORTURED. Jesus fuckin' christ...

CLW
04-05-2011, 09:07 AM
I vehemently hate that fuckin' criminal and I can't believe people are willing to give him the damn cover... Jesus christ, do we need to show pictures of the TERRIBLE things that Vick did to animals (and knowingly fuckin' allowed to happen to them) before people get the idea the dude isn't "cured" and is magically a better person. He's still a fuckin' moron that willingly allowed innocent animals to be TORTURED. Jesus fuckin' christ...

Yep. I'm am by no means a "PETA type". However, I am a dog/cat/domestic animal lover. What Vick (and his posse) did to those dogs is HEINOUS. He will NEVER receive my forgiveness and I regularly root for him to get destroyed on the field leaving him paralyzed for the rest of his life or better yet dead.

I will NOT buy the game with him on the cover. I don't care if it is the greatest video game ever made. I will not support someone that murdered dogs in mass for fun EVER.

skipwondah33
04-05-2011, 01:29 PM
I honestly wouldn't care if he won but thats just me.

I have a question why exactly do states or towns ban Pit Bulls?

steelerfan
04-05-2011, 02:16 PM
There are guys in the NFL who have killed PEOPLE, I'm not that worried about some damn dogs. The guys who killed PEOPLE got a slap on the wrist, while Vick went to the Federal Pen for what he did. Vick served his time.

That being said, I don't like him. And, there are at least 12 QBs I'd rather have under center for me. He is overrated. He's all hype, with mild production. He's a "SportsCenter Quarterback" -- he looks amazing for enough plays to make a 30 second highlight film and that's about it.

I don't want him on the cover simply because he's been there before. No one should make it twice. If someone does make it twice, there are a ton of players more deserving.

morsdraconis
04-05-2011, 02:42 PM
I know who you're talking about and, unfortunately, they couldn't prove that he killed anyone. But, I definitely don't like him either and never have, but, at least, he's a damn good football player.

I don't like Roethlisberger either for what he did (though some of that was crazy bitches trying to make money off of lies).

Vick's lucky that they only got him for accessory cause if he would have got what his "bros" got, he'd be in jail for life, like they are.

steelerfan
04-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Actually, I'm only referring to convicted guys. Like Leonard Little and Donte Stallworth.

skipwondah33
04-05-2011, 03:13 PM
There are guys in the NFL who have killed PEOPLE, I'm not that worried about some damn dogs. The guys who killed PEOPLE got a slap on the wrist, while Vick went to the Federal Pen for what he did. Vick served his time.

Ditto..Animals sometimes have better rights than humans even though pit bulls are in my experiences by nature aggressive animals.

I agree that I wouldn't like seeing the same people on but for the love of Madden covers, Danny Woodhead!!?

I know who you're talking about and, unfortunately, they couldn't prove that he killed anyone. But, I definitely don't like him either and never have, but, at least, he's a damn good football player.

I don't like Roethlisberger either for what he did (though some of that was crazy bitches trying to make money off of lies).

Vick's lucky that they only got him for accessory cause if he would have got what his "bros" got, he'd be in jail for life, like they are.

He's talking about Ray Lewis. Still being accused of it and even caught up in it still isn't good.

I'm a Steeler fan and I still don't care for Roethlisberger for even being involved in the situation. I too agree that money may have been an issue but still shouldn't have been caught up with that, plus I've heard in the past that he was an ass hole but I don't know him personally so I won't pass that judgment.

Anyway back to Madden. I'd like to see Rivers or Rodgers on.

steelerfan
04-05-2011, 03:16 PM
Again, I wasn't talking about Ray Lewis.

ryby6969
04-05-2011, 03:19 PM
Don't be hating on Ray damnit! ;)

CLW
04-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Note: I would NOT buy the game with Little; Stallworth etc... on the cover either. Both of those guys deserved FAR more time behind bars than they got. Our justice system is a COMPLETE TOTAL JOKE.

steelerfan
04-05-2011, 03:24 PM
Note: I would NOT buy the game with Little; Stallworth etc... on the cover either. Both of those guys deserved FAR more time behind bars than they got. Our justice system is a COMPLETE TOTAL JOKE.

It's a system that panders to special interests. Like PETA. Federal Pen for killing dogs. 90-days in county for killing people. Sheesh.

ryby6969
04-05-2011, 03:33 PM

Aren't you a lawyer?

morsdraconis
04-05-2011, 03:42 PM
Well, you do realize that he got the federal pen because he lied to Feds about it right? Like I said, everything that he got was because they couldn't directly connect him to what happened. Sadly, owning the place and being there QUITE often wasn't enough to pin the whole thing on him as well (unlike the guys that they did pin it on).

As for killing one person to killing a BUNCH of animals (even if they were pit bulls, which I completely disagree about them being aggressive animals - it's all about how they're treated, not about them being naturally aggressive; that's some serious bullshit), I think it had more to do with the heinous acts performed. If that were people being tortured like those dogs were, then I can guarantee you that they would have gotten life for that as well.

Yes, it is bullshit that guys like Little and Stallworth can practically get away with murder along with god only knows who else in professional sports, but, sadly, we've made them able to do just that. We've allowed TV to elevate them to this untouchable status that makes them feel invincible. I mean, christ, look at all the other entertainment stars (movie stars, TV stars, etc) that do the exact same shit and get by without much of anything happening to them as well.

Our legal system is totally screwed because we have infallible people making the decisions that effect the outcome because society, as a whole, is totally fucked in the head.

CLW
04-05-2011, 04:19 PM
It's a system that panders to special interests. Like PETA. Federal Pen for killing dogs. 90-days in county for killing people. Sheesh.

The argument (not that I agree/buy it) is that drunk driving that results in the death of another was not intentional where as Vick et al. intentionally masacred those dogs.

Personally, I believe ALL DUIs need to be reclassified as FELONIES. That way when someone kills someone while driving drunk they can be prosecuted for murder under the Felony-Murder rule.

Of course they could/should also prosecute the DUI/killer under a "Depraved Heart Murder" statute - an unintentional killing resulting from conduct involving a wanton indifference to human life and a conscious disregard of an unreasonable risk of death or serious bodily injury.

If driving drunk doesnt show "wanton indifference to human life and a conscious disregard of an unreasonable risk of death or serious bodily injury" I don't know what does.

steelerfan
04-05-2011, 05:57 PM
I agree with both of you. I understand Vick went to the Pen for lying to Feds. I just disagree with a system that says lying to certain people is worse than killing others. That sounds like the Gestapo.

Speaking of which, part 2 of a series about the Gestapo is about to start on History International. :nod:

jaymo76
04-05-2011, 07:48 PM
I vehemently hate that f' criminal and I can't believe people are willing to give him the damn cover... , do we need to show pictures of the TERRIBLE things that Vick did to animals (and knowingly fn' allowed to happen to them) before people get the idea the dude isn't "cured" and is magically a better person. He's still a moron that willingly allowed innocent animals to be TORTURED.

+1

SmoothPancakes
04-06-2011, 09:21 AM
From SportsNation on Facebook:

Aaron Rodgers is beating Danny Woodhead in the Madden Cover Vote Contest.

:up:

skipwondah33
04-06-2011, 02:41 PM
Good to hear that lol

ram29jackson
04-06-2011, 08:39 PM
Actually, the last 2 standing should be on the cover. They dont have to interact, just be on opposite sides of an EA logo or something ?

JBHuskers
04-07-2011, 11:42 AM
From Darren Rovell .... Bodog is taking bets.

Bodog's Madden '12 cover odds: Rodgers (2/3), Vick (3/2), Peterson (12/1), J. Charles (12/1), Hillis (12/1), Woodhead (14/1)

cdj
04-07-2011, 02:41 PM
To build on JBs post:

Who will be on the Cover of Madden 2012? Courtesy bodog.com

Aaron Rodgers 2/3
Michael Vick 3/2
Adrian Peterson 12/1
Jamaal Charles 12/1
Peyton Hillis 12/1
Danny Woodhead 14/1
Drew Brees 25/1
Patrick Willis 30/1

gschwendt
04-07-2011, 04:10 PM
http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/videogames/blog/_/name/thegamer/id/6305283/drew-brees-losing-big-madden-vote
Peterson beating Brees; Vick beating Willis

ram29jackson
04-08-2011, 07:57 PM
the people who vote are less then 10 % of the amount of people who buy the game...

JBHuskers
04-11-2011, 11:54 AM
The Final Four:

Rodgers vs. Hillis
Vick vs. Peterson

morsdraconis
04-11-2011, 12:12 PM
:smh:

Rodgers vs criminal for the cover with criminal winning it...

:fp:

JBHuskers
04-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Yeah I was hoping for Woodhead to pull this one out. I guess I'll go for Rodgers now for Curse purposes ;)

CLW
04-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Wow I think Vick is going to win this which is going to save me $60. I know he paid his time but I'm not going to support Vick or any company that wants him to endorse their product.

steelerfan
04-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Wow I think Vick is going to win this which is going to save me $60. I know he paid his time but I'm not going to support Vick or any company that wants him to endorse their product.

Wow. It will actually save you more than $60. To actually live by your word, you won't be able to buy NCAA or any other EA product either. ;)

jaymo76
04-11-2011, 04:37 PM
Ea is doing quite well this year.
1. Tiger Woods...
2. Mike Vick...

You would think marketing might suggest a different direction... :(

JeffHCross
04-11-2011, 11:16 PM
Led by an online campaign that includes front-page treatment on ClevelandBrowns.com, as well as ongoing Twitter and Facebook campaigns by his team, Peyton Hillis has jumped out to a shockingly large lead over Aaron Rodgers in the "Madden NFL 12" cover vote.

This would be the biggest upset of the tournament by far, as we have a running back who not too long ago was unwanted by the Denver Broncos (a team in desperate need of a back), going up against the reigning Super Bowl MVP..

morsdraconis
04-12-2011, 03:20 AM
Awesome! Go Browns fans!

skipwondah33
04-12-2011, 09:50 AM
EA did make a smart move by making Agusta its main draw which couldn't have hurt sales

CLW
04-12-2011, 10:34 AM
Wow. It will actually save you more than $60. To actually live by your word, you won't be able to buy NCAA or any other EA product either. ;)

Thats a good point. I might have to consider bowing out of NCAA 12 too. I just really have a hard time understanding EA's logic with continuing with TW and allowing for the potential for Vick to be on the cover. Just not smart PR.

ram29jackson
04-14-2011, 08:05 PM
Hillis is a no name- this is just wrong ..

answer (B) People in Ohio have computers ?

jaymo76
04-16-2011, 12:55 AM
I would love to see Hillis take the cover. He's a great story and I wish him the best of luck.

JBHuskers
04-18-2011, 11:10 AM
Hillis vs. Vick in the finals.

http://www.pastapadre.com/2011/04/18/madden-nfl-12-cover-tournament-finals-michael-vick-vs-peyton-hillis

ram29jackson
04-18-2011, 06:29 PM
ok....I voted for Hillis. Purely so the Clevelnd helmet and uniform will be on the cover- pseudo old school style

ram29jackson
04-18-2011, 06:32 PM
ya' know..I am a little upset that the champion Packers- - Rodgers, wont be on the cover

CLW
04-18-2011, 07:38 PM
Hillis. I will NOT even consider buying Madden with that SOB on the cover.

JeffHCross
04-18-2011, 07:45 PM
From an IGN op/ed piece today:

EA made a fatal error in preparation of the Madden cover vote. The person voted to be on the cover only hurts or helps EA. It doesn't impact a Madden fan's sponsorship opportunities. It doesn't affect a gamer's promotion plans. No one voting stops and thinks, "Man, I better not let Vick win or EA will have a tough time doing a media tour." Don't think for a moment that EA ever would willingly put Peyton Hillis or Mike Vick on the cover of Madden. They expected the voters to do the right thing for EA. That's not how popularity contests work.

The lesson here: never, ever, give people the option to affect your product unless it's something you can live with. The 32 players in the Madden voting bracket needed to be 32 players EA would gladly have on the cover. Because, as we can see with the final round in this contest, online voters aren't predictable. Never assume they have the same priorities or business sensibilities of a publicly traded corporation. The public loses nothing by turning on EA and biting them in the ass.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

ram29jackson
04-18-2011, 08:09 PM
I dont think the IGN op/ed piece is that valid, just an angle he took.

Most who like football and football gaming wont give a damn who is on the cover. The cover athlete wont hurt sales.

and if you want to take the Vick (his past) angle into it. Football fans vastly outnumber animal rights activists and animal rights activists dont care about the game anyway. Heck, put a Redskin on the cover so we can hear about the whole Indian mascot thing again haha.

hey, Vick did his time, his jersey sells big, people are stupid when it comes to voting. Aside from the fact that the majority of votes are from the internet and the people who are constantly on the internet are the minority of the total of people who buy the game.
...but when you let people vote, you end up with things like...Arnold Schwarzenegger as a Governor...

that being said, the possible winner of the NCAA cover has a father in prison....just sayin' :)

JeffHCross
04-18-2011, 08:16 PM
Football fans vastly outnumber animal rights activists and animal rights activists dont care about the game anyway. Heck, put a Redskin on the cover so we can hear about the whole Indian mascot thing again haha.Doesn't matter at all. It's a PR nightmare for EA if they have to go head-to-head with PETA. Numbers don't matter ... vocality does. And PETA, and similar groups, have very vocal supporters. Besides, to say that it's just "animal rights activists" is missing the point. Vick has the potential to be polarizing to every dog owner or dog lover in America. And there are a lot of those.

And getting back to the central point anyway ... giving the public the power to negatively impact your product is a very, very bad idea. No matter what, they should have made sure that all 32 choices were ones that they could live with. Maybe EA's fine with Peyton Hillis. If so, good for them if he wins. I can't imagine they're fine with Vick though.

On the upside, Hillis definitely has the advantage going into the final round. There were ~335k votes cast for him against Rodgers, and only ~225k for Vick against Peterson.

ram29jackson
04-18-2011, 08:37 PM
i'm thinking of getting an Asian knock off, Vick jersey.. it'll upset two sects of people at the
same time :D

morsdraconis
04-18-2011, 08:39 PM
Hillis better win or EA is going to see a MAJOR backlash from animal rights activists and pretty much anyone that was outraged by what Vick did/allowed to happen.

Not that I was going to buy the game anyway, but I definitely wouldn't buy it with that criminal on the cover.

jaymo76
04-18-2011, 09:00 PM
Hillis better win or EA is going to see a MAJOR backlash from animal rights activists and pretty much anyone that was outraged by what Vick did/allowed to happen.

Not that I was going to buy the game anyway, but I definitely wouldn't buy it with that criminal on the cover.

Oh please, please, please... Hillis. Honestly, based on principle I cannot buy Madden 12 if Vick is on the cover. Everytime I look at the family pets... I just can't do it. Vote Hillis!

skipwondah33
04-18-2011, 09:35 PM
ya' know..I am a little upset that the champion Packers- - Rodgers, wont be on the cover
Serisouly Rodgers should have made it. Thats who I kept voting for.

My vote is for Vick and I'm buying the game regardless. I always said he was my wildcard to win it if Rodgers didn't win it outright. Plus I based my vote on his play... Very shocked Hillis made it

morsdraconis
04-19-2011, 01:23 AM
On Vick's play? :rolleyes:

You've got to be kidding me.

His stats were absolutely nothing special compared to Rogers, and Hillis most definitely deserves to be in the race.

His stats?

His 1177 yards is only the second most by a Cleveland Brown in a season since 2007 when Jamal Lewis had that ridiculous 1304 yard season but he's the 3rd most by a Brown RB since 1983 when Mike Pruitt had 1184 yards.

His 11 TDs is the most by a Cleveland Brown RB in a season since Leroy Kelly has 16 in 1968. Yup, you read that right, first Cleveland Brown RB to have more than 10 rushing TDs in a season in 43 years. I'd say that's a means for celebrating his abilities, don't you?

steelerfan
04-19-2011, 05:30 AM
Sure Hillis numbers look good compared to those of other Browns. Hillis being here is a joke. So is Vick being here. At least this gives the Cleveland sports fan a reason to think one of their team's is good at something.

Yay Cleveland! You don't even get the fact that all non-Browns fans that are voting for this meatball are doing so as a mockery. :D :D :D

SmoothPancakes
04-19-2011, 07:02 AM
Sure Hillis numbers look good compared to those of other Browns. Hillis being here is a joke. So is Vick being here. At least this gives the Cleveland sports fan a reason to think one of their team's is good at something.

Yay Cleveland! You don't even get the fact that all non-Browns fans that are voting for this meatball are doing so as a mockery. :D :D :D

My thoughts exactly. Yes, Hillis has done good compared to other/past Browns players. But he is in no way deserving of being on the Madden cover. There were a bunch of players in this hack of a "tournament" that were much more deserving. One of the worst decisions EA has ever made concerning covers of their games.

skipwondah33
04-19-2011, 08:52 AM
On Vick's play? :rolleyes:

You've got to be kidding me.

His stats were absolutely nothing special compared to Rogers, and Hillis most definitely deserves to be in the race.

His stats?

His 1177 yards is only the second most by a Cleveland Brown in a season since 2007 when Jamal Lewis had that ridiculous 1304 yard season but he's the 3rd most by a Brown RB since 1983 when Mike Pruitt had 1184 yards.

His 11 TDs is the most by a Cleveland Brown RB in a season since Leroy Kelly has 16 in 1968. Yup, you read that right, first Cleveland Brown RB to have more than 10 rushing TDs in a season in 43 years. I'd say that's a means for celebrating his abilities, don't you?

Yep..Vick had a very solid and exciting season. Led his team to the playoffs but lost to the Super Bowl Champion. Kolb wouldn't have led that same team to the playoffs. Hillis did no such thing. I said my vote was for Rodgers this entire competition BUT since he is no longer in the running for it, my vote is for Vick. This isn't a moral competition or better person contest, it is for the cover of a video game. I am not disgusted by or hold any anger towards the man. He served his time so it doesn't bother me.

And since we're on stats.

Vick threw for more yardage than any other part of his career with 3,018, more throwing TD's with 21, higher completion percentage 62.6% and ran for more TD's with 9. He also had the 4th highest QB rating..only behind Rodgers, Rivers and Brady. All of this while playing only 12 games this past season.

But if it were only about stats then Brady (if he were in it) or Rivers would have ran away with the thing. Unfortunately this is a popularity contest thus the reason we are where we're at now.

morsdraconis
04-19-2011, 12:32 PM
Well, obviously it's a popularity contest. That was completely obvious from the beginning.

I was simply pointing out, going by what they did (getting a player from each team) Hillis was most definitely deserving of being the Browns representation.

ram29jackson
04-19-2011, 02:54 PM
I really dont think EA is suprised or worried about this.

Last year, the choice was a couple players or 3 or what ever? This year they decided to represent the NFL as a whole to the fans
And they decided who the popular names by region would be. They arent worried about a PR nightmare with Vick.
If they were, they would have used the WR/PR whos name I forget?

Iron Dragon
04-19-2011, 06:30 PM
I'd rather see Hillis win but I really don't care.

cdj
04-24-2011, 01:05 PM
From Darren Rovell:

Sources: If vote ended today, Peyton Hillis would be on the cover of Madden '12. Cover will be announced Wednesday.

Flav
04-24-2011, 01:08 PM
In a way I want Hillis on the cover, but deep down a part of me wants Vick to repeat.

skipwondah33
04-24-2011, 06:46 PM
From Darren Rovell:

Yeah figured he would get the majority of vote because who is going up against. Contest was a joke to begin with

morsdraconis
04-25-2011, 10:12 PM
Yeah figured he would get the majority of vote because who is going up against. Contest was a joke to begin with

How was it a joke to begin with? Internet popularity contests NEVER go the way that people/companies think they'll go. That's what's great about the internet; it's incredibly unpredictable.

skipwondah33
04-25-2011, 10:19 PM
It was a joke because guys like Danny Woodhead, Tim Tebow and Steve Johnson were even in the contest. It should have been only candidates likely to win. Popularity contests are a joke, hell Hillis isn't even popular IMO.

Favre
Fitzgerald
Polamalu
Brees
Hillis?

souljahbill
04-25-2011, 10:52 PM
I REALLY wish the 12th man had won. Best. Cover. Ever.

morsdraconis
04-25-2011, 11:00 PM
It was a joke because guys like Danny Woodhead, Tim Tebow and Steve Johnson were even in the contest. It should have been only candidates likely to win. Popularity contests are a joke, hell Hillis isn't even popular IMO.

Favre
Fitzgerald
Polamalu
Brees
Hillis?

So what? I mean, really, what does the cover for the game even mean anymore? Absolutely nothing. It's all a publicity stunt by EA to drive up interest in the game by giving fans for all of the teams a reason to keep talking about the game well before it is scheduled to come out.

And guess what? It's worked marvelously. I couldn't possibly care any less about it, yet I paid attention to it because of my hate for the criminal. Hell, they couldn't have planned it any better and probably had a good feeling that the criminal was going to get far anyway because of how retarded casual Madden fans are for him (for some ungodly reason).

Great marketing plan if you ask me.

steelerfan
04-26-2011, 01:11 AM
Hillis isn't even popular

Wha???

He's only the greatest Cleveland back in the last 30 years! That's a list that inludes:....wait a minute! Yeah! Who the hell is Peyton Hillis again?

skipwondah33
04-26-2011, 07:56 AM
So what? I mean, really, what does the cover for the game even mean anymore?

Not a damn thing really other than the player chosen has been a marque player in the Super Bowl the prior year (last 2 covers). All in all though it means nothing and that is why it doesn't matter who wins it. I don't even look at the case after I buy the game.

I do think a features or gameplay additions tourney would have been better but that could have actually ended terribly. I can see it now, Madden cards would have won over actual gameplay fixes like improved zone coverage, etc :D

gschwendt
04-27-2011, 04:00 PM
Rest easy PETA fans... the boy from Conway, AR is on the cover of Madden NFL 12.

SmoothPancakes
04-27-2011, 04:16 PM
Congrats to Hillis, though in my opinion he is in no way deserving of the cover.

ram29jackson
04-27-2011, 04:20 PM
....I wonder which Bengal will be on the cover next year ......?

zacattak
04-27-2011, 07:54 PM
I disagree, As Breese brought so much to New Orleans lasy year on the super bowl vistory.(i think it should have been Breese and Peyton on the cover). Hillis has brought alot to a struggling Browns Team. Look at that division alone. by far the toughest for an offense(Steelers and Ravens) i dont think any other Division has 2 top 5 defenses. Hillis was a work horse last year. on a team with a good O line yes, but not so great QB play. Teams knew they were running alot. not to mention Hillis had those numbers in what 12 games?

jaymo76
04-27-2011, 08:24 PM
Congrats to Hillis, though in my opinion he is in no way deserving of the cover.

Actually, I disagree. He is symbolic of what NFL athletes should be. He works hard game in and game out. He's not a superstar who thinks he's bigger than the team or bigger than the league. He goes out and let's his gameplay trash talk for him. Plus, he comes closest to the everyday working man comparison... overall an excellent choice.

skipwondah33
04-27-2011, 09:02 PM
Not everyone in the league thinks that way or doesn't work hard. Hell if it were up to that Peyton Manning would win it by a landslide.

The entire state of Ohio voted for him, then all of the Vick haters in world voted for him and other Cleveland fans.

May be a collector's item for Browns fans though.

Oh well its finally over and no one has to boycott the game lol

CLW
04-28-2011, 06:14 AM
I like Hillis and from what I have read/seen out of him he seems like a good guy. Now that Vick is not on the cover, EA just needs to convince me that Madden is worth $60.

steelerfan
04-28-2011, 08:50 AM
....I wonder which Bengal will be on the cover next year ......?

:D :D :D

ram29jackson
04-28-2011, 12:45 PM
Actually, I disagree. He is symbolic of what NFL athletes should be. He works hard game in and game out. He's not a superstar who thinks he's bigger than the team or bigger than the league. He goes out and let's his gameplay trash talk for him. Plus, he comes closest to the everyday working man comparison... overall an excellent choice.

ultimately , I dont care. But for the sake of argument, I'll say this. He is just another player who got in because of a mob internet vote. No star quality name here. Rodgers should have won, or just been primarily picked in the first place.

I dont mind a trully old school uni on the cover though

ram29jackson
04-28-2011, 12:48 PM
:D :D :D

thank you everybody, I'll be here all week, drive home safe, next show's at 9:00 pm