PDA

View Full Version : 25 New Plays Coming to NCAA Football 12 (Defense)

cdj
03-15-2011, 08:24 AM
http://thegamingtailgate.com/images/NCAA12/vg_ncaa12_1_576.jpg

DEFENSE:

Nickel Normal Cover 6 (Play Art (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/images/NCAA12/Nickel%20Normal%20Cover%206.png)) - Cover 6 is a split field coverage concept that has the secondary playing Cover 2 on one side of the field and Cover 4 on the other side. Add 2 plus 4 and you get 6, thus the name Cover 6.

4-2-5 Over Thunder Zero Cop (Play Art (http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s159/jbennett98/4-2-5OverThunderZeroCop.jpg)) – A new addition to the 4-2-5 defensive playbook, Thunder Zero Cop is an aggressive pressure scheme that calls for both inside linebackers and the strong side safety to blitz. The unique aspect of the scheme is the term “Cop”, which tells the defensive end to play man coverage, usually on a tight end.

3-3-5 Okie NCAA Blitz 3 (Play Art (http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab14/thegamingtailgate/NCAA%20Football%2012/3-3-5OkieNCAABlitz3.jpg)) - The 3-3-5 Okie formation is new to NCAA Football 12. This formation allows teams that base out of the 3-3-5 defense to get into a more rational “3-4 Normal” look. A widely used scheme from this look is the NCAA Blitz 3 which is a three deep, three under fire zone scheme.

Quarters Normal Dbl Loop 3 (Play Art (http://thegamingtailgate.com/images/NCAA12/25NewPlays/20110324-Quarters%20Normal%20DblLoop3.png)) - With the ever increasing popularity of spread style offenses in NCAA Football, we made the decision to add the Quarters Normal formation to the game. The Quarters normal formation features three down linemen, one linebacker, and seven defensive backs. DBL Loop 3 is an overload fire zone concept that’s used to bring pressure to the weak side of the offense.

Nickel 2-4-5 Slant Zone 2 (Play Art (http://thegamingtailgate.com/images/NCAA12/25NewPlays/20110329%20-%20Nickel%202-4-5%20Slant%20Zone%202.png)) – Nickel 2-4-5 Slant Zone 2 from a coverage standpoint is a standard 2 deep, 4 under fire zone pressure. The play calls for the two inside linebackers in the 2-4-5 formation to move to each side of the formation to show blitz. Combined with the pre-snap movement of the nickel cornerback, remaining linebackers, and both defensive tackles, the play gives the look of an “exotic” blitz scheme in which any combination of the players could blitz.

Nickel 2-4-5 Cover 3 Bluff (Play Art (http://thegamingtailgate.com/images/NCAA12/25NewPlays/20110331%20-%20Nickel%202-4-5%20Cover%203%20Bluff.png)) – The complimentary play to the Nickel 2-4-5 Slant Zone 2, the Nickel 2-4-5 Cover 3 Bluff uses the exact same pre-snap movement by the linebackers, defensive tackles, and nickel cornerback. This scheme falls in line with what’s known as an “illusion” defense. The defense gives the offense the appearance of an all out blitz with the exotic look, but in reality it’s a basic 3 deep, 4 under zone coverage.

Dime 3-2-6 Spinner Buck Dog 1 (Play Art (http://thegamingtailgate.com/images/NCAA12/25NewPlays/20110405%20-%20Dime%203-2-6%20Spinner%20Buck%20Dog%201.jpg)) – An aggressive blitz pressure scheme that’s used by teams such as LSU and Nebraska, Dime 3-2-6 Spinner Buck Dog 1 is a good play to use in passing situations. The play uses a six man pass rush which includes the right cornerback. This concept along with reference material was provided to us through community feedback.

3-4 Predator Cover 2 Sink (Play Art (http://thegamingtailgate.com/images/NCAA12/25NewPlays/20110407%20-%203-4%20Predator%20Cover%202%20Sink.jpg)) – The 3-4 Predator is a defensive set that calls for the right outside linebacker to align in a three point stance. This gives teams that base out of the 3-4 the ability to get into a 4-3 look. Cover 2 Sink has both corners getting depth on their zone drops in order to take away the natural void in Cover 2 between the safeties and cornerbacks.

4-2-5 Under Slide Rover Wk Dog (Play Art (http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5067/5612737715_57cbe066c9_z.jpg)) – 4-2-5 Under Slide is a new defensive formation for NCAA Football 12. This defensive look from the 4-2-5 calls for the secondary to align in a two deep look with one cornerback aligned tight and the other aligned in a loose technique. Rover Wk Dog is a pressure scheme that allows the defense to rush four defenders at the weak side of the offense.

NEW! 4-2-5 Okie Across Bullets Dbl A (Play Art (http://thegamingtailgate.com/images/NCAA12/25NewPlays/20110414%20-%204-2-5%20Okie%20Across%20Bullets%20Dbl%20A.jpg)) – 4-2-5 Okie Across places the five defensive backs in the formation in a loose alignment of about 8 to 10 yards. In addition to the alignment of the defensive backs, the right defensive end aligns in a two point stance similar to that of an outside linebacker. Bullets Dbl A sends both linebackers in the formation on blitzes in each A gap.

steelerfan
03-15-2011, 08:48 AM
Cover 6! Good to see new coverages and not just new blitz packages. Woo-hoo!

gschwendt
03-15-2011, 09:32 AM
Great addition... I use a 3-3-5 defense with a hot route that winds up being nearly identical (just cover 3 instead of cover 6). Hopefully the zone defense works well enough that a play like this is put to good use.

Kwizzy
03-15-2011, 09:41 AM
Cover 6! Good to see new coverages and not just new blitz packages. Woo-hoo!

Agree completely Steelerfan. Like the look of the new play and excited to see more.

AustinWolv
03-15-2011, 10:34 AM
Agree completely Steelerfan. Like the look of the new play and excited to see more.

Agreed.

psusnoop
03-15-2011, 10:59 AM
Great addition... I use a 3-3-5 defense with a hot route that winds up being nearly identical (just cover 3 instead of cover 6). Hopefully the zone defense works well enough that a play like this is put to good use.

I agree G, lets hope the zone packages are working better this year.

CLW
03-15-2011, 11:04 AM
Like the Cover 6 play. Of course it is all for not if the zone coverage doesn't work.

JeffHCross
03-15-2011, 06:53 PM
I agree G, lets hope the zone packages are working better this year.

Like the Cover 6 play. Of course it is all for not if the zone coverage doesn't work.Being logical about it ... is there any way that Tiburon could convince themselves, or the guys in charge of their purse strings, to let them spend the time to add more zone plays on defense if zone is still fundamentally broken?

AustinWolv
03-15-2011, 08:09 PM
Jeff, you know the answer is yes. :)

JeffHCross
03-15-2011, 10:21 PM
Jeff, you know the answer is yes. :)Actually, having been in a few budget battles of my own lately ... no, not actually.

Jayrah
03-16-2011, 01:32 AM
I like the look of cover 6 for the simple fact that I can shut off 1 deep side of the field now (in theory taking away a speedster on the outside) and still cover more underneath territory. Flats can be hot routed if need be. Also, it will be interesting to see from a offensive perspective, cause you may read cover 2 and end up throwing into double coverage, or reading cover 4 and throw something underneath with a defender just waiting on it.

I believe the defensive awareness is mostly to blame for blown coverages in this game. It starts too low imo on average, and ends up leaving a lot of guys open in zone defense concepts.

Jayrah
03-16-2011, 01:36 AM
Being logical about it ... is there any way that Tiburon could convince themselves, or the guys in charge of their purse strings, to let them spend the time to add more zone plays on defense if zone is still fundamentally broken?

Yes they could. The masses are screaming for them. New plays could calm them, even if still conceptually broken.

Do I think they left zone coverage "unbroken"? No I don't. Defense was the up and coming thing this year so they will at least work on the aspect that was the biggest issue the past few seasons. At least I believe that.

JBHuskers
03-17-2011, 08:55 AM
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s159/jbennett98/4-2-5OverThunderZeroCop.jpg

4-2-5 Over Thunder Zero Cop –A new addition to the 4-2-5 defensive playbook, Thunder Zero Cop is an aggressive pressure scheme that calls for both inside linebackers and the strong side safety to blitz. The unique aspect of the scheme is the term “Cop”, which tells the defensive end to play man coverage, usually on a tight end.

Do you see yourself running the 4-2-5 Over Thunder Zero Cop in NCAA Football 12? Which teams do you think are best equipped to run this play?

Kwizzy
03-17-2011, 09:28 AM
LOVE that play! I'm proceeding on the assumption that they have made significant adjustments to the coverage. If the coverage has not been overhauled I'll be sticking with my Cover 2 Man. :bang:

CLW
03-17-2011, 09:30 AM
It looks nice but I dont think I have EVER ran a 4-2-5. I usually stick with a 3-4 or 4-3.

steelerfan
03-17-2011, 11:44 AM
Yeah, I'm a 4-3 guy for the most part. But this could be interesting. If that blitz doesn't hit, you've got a DE on a TE with no help. Cool to see this. :nod:

Kwizzy
03-17-2011, 12:44 PM
Shouldnt this be in the defensive thread?

gschwendt
03-17-2011, 12:57 PM
Shouldnt this be in the defensive thread?
You'll have to pardon JB... his defense is so offensive that he didn't put it in the right thread.

Kwizzy
03-17-2011, 01:58 PM
You'll have to pardon JB... his defense is so offensive that he didn't put it in the right thread.

Oh Snap! :whoa:

JBHuskers
03-17-2011, 02:01 PM

:D

Didn't realize there were two threads....that image isn't showing up now though.

JBHuskers
03-17-2011, 02:03 PM
There I fixed it...not sure what was wrong with it.

morsdraconis
03-17-2011, 03:25 PM
Did they fix the man coverage bug in the 4-2-5? If not, that's a steaming pile of shit play....

gschwendt
03-17-2011, 04:07 PM
Did they fix the man coverage bug in the 4-2-5? If not, that's a steaming pile of shit play....
Actually that particular play would work just fine... just flip it depending on where the slot is. I agree though, if they didn't fix the 335/425 SS man align issues, then I'll be frustrated since the 335 is my defense.

morsdraconis
03-17-2011, 04:16 PM
Yeah, but that doesn't help against Twin or Trips sets at all. I'd hate to once again not be able to use the 4-2-5 against I-Form Twins, Ace Big Twins, etc because of that stupid bug.

Kwizzy
03-17-2011, 05:04 PM
What bug is that? I'm not familiar with the 4-2-5 & its issues.

morsdraconis
03-17-2011, 06:11 PM

Man Coverage alignment is totally screwed. The CBs don't go over to the other side of the formation like they're supposed to when playing man and so on. Go into practice mode and choose any 4-2-5 Man Coverage play against I-Form Twins and you'll see what we mean. It's terrible and pretty much begs for them to run the ball that direction.

JeffHCross
03-17-2011, 08:31 PM
This:

Both 4-2-5 and 3-3-5 (base formations) have issues with man coverage lineup. In both formations, the #2 SS (left, as facing the defense) will be assigned the slot receiver, even if the slot is on the right side of the offensive formation. This causes the #2 SS to lineup in the middle of the field, between the LBs. This is how it appears pre-snap, but post-snap the players often cover the closest receiver, regardless of pre-snap assignment (but not always).

morsdraconis
03-17-2011, 08:38 PM
Oh yeah, there's that too. Totally forgot about that issue (mainly because I never use those formations because of the stupid bug).

Keontez
03-17-2011, 09:34 PM
Man coverage is screwed altogether. LBs in man coverage should take the back coming out to his side, He shouldnt have to run all the way across the field to the flats

JeffHCross
03-17-2011, 09:40 PM
Oh yeah, there's that too. Totally forgot about that issue (mainly because I never use those formations because of the stupid bug).What you're saying about I-Form Twins is ... debatable, at best. The problem is that different teams use different strategies when it comes to dealing with Twins. I see a lot of people comment on forums that the CB should go to the other side of the field ... but when I watch real games, I don't see that happen very often. More often, the CB stays on the open side and covers the first receiver to his side, at least from my eyes.

Jayrah
03-18-2011, 12:03 AM
What you're saying about I-Form Twins is ... debatable, at best. The problem is that different teams use different strategies when it comes to dealing with Twins. I see a lot of people comment on forums that the CB should go to the other side of the field ... but when I watch real games, I don't see that happen very often. More often, the CB stays on the open side and covers the first receiver to his side, at least from my eyes.

I see this quite a bit as well. LB with a S over the top and the cb stays open side of the field. If a cb DOES go over, normally the SS comes up to play in the corner slot on the open side, instead of over the top, and the FS is a cover 1 over the top. I see that a lot too.

JeffHCross
03-18-2011, 09:58 PM
I think that having CBs cover both Twins receivers is more commonly a NFL setup. Not sure though. At whatever level, putting both cornerbacks on the same side of the field is such a blatant giveaway of man coverage that I can't imagine many coaches do it, unless they're primarily a man defense.

The funny part is when you Google search something like that, over 50% of the results are NCAA/Madden. Very few actual coaching discussions on that topic, surprisingly.

CLW
03-19-2011, 10:35 AM
Good points. How cool would it be if you could pick and choose whether you wanted your CB to come over or stay in his normal spot to mix up the coverages.

JeffHCross
03-19-2011, 10:44 AM
Good points. How cool would it be if you could pick and choose whether you wanted your CB to come over or stay in his normal spot to mix up the coverages.Ideally, I think that's what stuff like "Man Align" is supposed to do, but it doesn't function to that extent.

Kwizzy
03-19-2011, 11:29 AM
Ideally, I think that's what stuff like "Man Align" is supposed to do, but it doesn't function to that extent.
Does Man Align currently do anything? I haven't noticed if it does.

JeffHCross
03-19-2011, 11:57 AM
Does Man Align currently do anything? I haven't noticed if it does.It does. For example, on 3-4 Normal Strong Blitz, where both LBs on the right side of the screen are blitzing, if there's an extra receiver on the right side (for example, Twin TE), then the left ILB will shift over and go basically heads-up.

You also see instances where, in zone, a linebacker will split the middle between the offensive line and the receiver. In both cases, if you switch off Man Align (it appears it's automatically on for every play, so you switch it off via the coverage audible), the linebackers will return to their default position.

Off the top of my head, I don't know if it has any influence on, for example, nickelbacks switching to the other side of the field to cover a Twins receiver.

gschwendt
03-19-2011, 11:57 AM
Does Man Align currently do anything? I haven't noticed if it does.
I think it mainly applies to safeties currently. If you have a strong safety assigned to either a slot or a tight end, you can man align him and he'll actually line up over the top of him. As well, in the 425/335, I use it all of the time because if the FS is man coverage, he'll give it away by creeping up to the line if I don't turn off his man align. By default, it's always on and you have to turn it off each play, though you can do so quickly enough before everyone is set.

JeffHCross
03-19-2011, 12:03 PM
I use it all of the time because if the FS is man coverage, he'll give it away by creeping up to the line if I don't turn off his man align.I've had safeties in zone creep up to the line enough times that I don't have a clue why it happens, lol.

CLW
03-19-2011, 12:12 PM
Ideally, I think that's what stuff like "Man Align" is supposed to do, but it doesn't function to that extent.

Yeah that was my thought process of tying it into Man Align

Keontez
03-19-2011, 06:06 PM
I think it mainly applies to safeties currently. If you have a strong safety assigned to either a slot or a tight end, you can man align him and he'll actually line up over the top of him. As well, in the 425/335, I use it all of the time because if the FS is man coverage, he'll give it away by creeping up to the line if I don't turn off his man align. By default, it's always on and you have to turn it off each play, though you can do so quickly enough before everyone is set.

Call more press plays, My theory is that the press plays that the defense watches for the run more than they would in any other play call, IE 2 Man vs 2 Man Press or Cover 3 vs Cover 3 Press. My experience is that they react better to the run.

Jayrah
03-21-2011, 12:55 AM
Although it seems an outside run is more likely to bust wide open on press plays because your cbs get blocked better, being closer to the wr.

Kwizzy
03-22-2011, 08:30 AM
Today's play is up if someone wants to post it here... I can only get to it on my phone while at work. It's a new 3-3-5 formation & play that looks pretty nice. Never really used the 3-3-5 before so I'll defer to gschwendt on this one.

gschwendt
03-22-2011, 08:47 AM
http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab14/thegamingtailgate/NCAA%20Football%2012/3-3-5OkieNCAABlitz3.jpg

3-3-5 Okie NCAA Blitz 3- The 3-3-5 Okie formation is new to NCAA Football 12. This formation allows teams that base out of the 3-3-5 defense to get into a more rational “3-4 Normal” look. A widely used scheme from this look is the NCAA Blitz 3 which is a three deep, three under fire zone scheme.

gschwendt
03-22-2011, 08:52 AM
I love that they're adding new formations to the 3-3-5! This formation looks like it would be great against 3WR sets as one SS is already deep and the other is up on the line. Would love to be able to browse the rest of the formation to see what else it has. Personally though I would rarely (if ever) run this play as I hate 3-under zone defenses.

psusnoop
03-22-2011, 10:07 AM
Interesting, I'm with you G as I never really run a 3 under defense. Just doesn't work for me I guess.

I like that there is a "new" formation in the 3-3-5 as well. Very cool.

Jayrah
03-22-2011, 10:49 AM
so far both offensively and defensively the plays they are rolling out are showing a lot of versatility. I am happy to see a concept like this that gives one formation a little more flavor in the way it lines up and attacks the offense. This is not an every down play, but gives a little bit of a different look to the offense. I would imagine there will be at least another play from the 'okie' look, probably a man concept, so that it can't be completely diagnosed from just the way the D lines up.

CLW
03-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Never really ran the 3-3-5 but that formation looks solid and depending on the plays in it could have me itching to try something different.

xMrHitStickx904
03-22-2011, 01:32 PM
wonder if i show blitz how will the blitz angles will be, but i like the diversity in plays.

JeffHCross
03-22-2011, 05:52 PM
Personally though I would rarely (if ever) run this play as I hate 3-under zone defenses.

Interesting, I'm with you G as I never really run a 3 under defense. Just doesn't work for me I guess.As you two probably both know from playing me so many times, I love under defenses. So I'd certainly be willing to add it to the repertoire. At the very least, having a Cover 3 shell gives me some versatility over the Cover 2 looks.

baseballplyrmvp
03-22-2011, 07:30 PM
The 3-3-5 Okie formation is new to NCAA Football 12.hopefully this new formation gets a ton of other plays with it, that arent gonna be shown in the release of the 25 new plays.

JeffHCross
03-22-2011, 07:40 PM
that arent gonna be shown in the release of the 25 new plays.JDewiel said on PastaPadre that there are more than 25 plays, they're just advertising these specific 25.

baseballplyrmvp
03-22-2011, 07:46 PM
JDewiel said on PastaPadre that there are more than 25 plays, they're just only advertising these 25.
well thats some good news!

cdj
03-24-2011, 08:39 AM
http://thegamingtailgate.com/images/NCAA12/25NewPlays/20110324-Quarters%20Normal%20DblLoop3.png

Quarters Normal Dbl Loop 3 - With the ever increasing popularity of spread style offenses in NCAA Football, we made the decision to add the Quarters Normal formation to the game. The Quarters normal formation features three down linemen, one linebacker, and seven defensive backs. DBL Loop 3 is an overload fire zone concept that’s used to bring pressure to the weak side of the offense.

CLW
03-24-2011, 08:40 AM
wooo a Quarters normal. Hopefully, it can at least slow down the spread passing attacks some.

baseballplyrmvp
03-24-2011, 08:45 AM
this must mean there's another quarters defensive alignment if they gave it the "normal" designation. right?

gschwendt
03-24-2011, 08:55 AM
this must mean there's another quarters defensive alignment if they gave it the "normal" designation. right?I'm sure they kept the 3-deep Quarters that is in NCAA11.

psusnoop
03-24-2011, 09:01 AM
I like this. Not a bad thing, be interesting to see how this play looks in action. With so much pressure on the interior I hope guys can bat a few balls down.

baseballplyrmvp
03-24-2011, 09:28 AM
I'm sure they kept the 3-deep Quarters that is in NCAA11.

ya, i'm sure of it too. why would they take it out? i meant like if they added the dollar formation thats been in madden the past couple of years or something like that

JeffHCross
03-24-2011, 08:35 PM
this must mean there's another quarters defensive alignment if they gave it the "normal" designation. right?Yeah, NCAA has had 3-deep for a while, while Madden's had both Quarters Normal and Quarters 3-Deep depending on your playbook.

jaymo76
03-25-2011, 09:57 PM
http://thegamingtailgate.com/images/NCAA12/25NewPlays/20110324-Quarters%20Normal%20DblLoop3.png

Quarters Normal Dbl Loop 3 - With the ever increasing popularity of spread style offenses in NCAA Football, we made the decision to add the Quarters Normal formation to the game. The Quarters normal formation features three down linemen, one linebacker, and seven defensive backs. DBL Loop 3 is an overload fire zone concept that’s used to bring pressure to the weak side of the offense.

I like this! Well done EA! Now let's just hope that ZONE D is fixed for 12 or all of this is for not...

Jayrah
03-27-2011, 07:08 PM
New formations always welcome. Hopefully offense is not running a flat route when you call this play...

JeffHCross
03-27-2011, 07:10 PM
New formations always welcome. Hopefully offense is not running a flat route when you call this play...Would rather the offense call a flat route when I'm playing 3+-Under than call a post when I'm playing 2-Deep :)

AustinWolv
03-27-2011, 09:11 PM
I like this! Well done EA! Now let's just hope that ZONE D is fixed for 12 or all of this is for not...

No kidding. Finally something with some pressure hopefully while keeping open routes underneath the coverage on long downs.

gschwendt
03-29-2011, 09:44 AM
http://thegamingtailgate.com/images/NCAA12/25NewPlays/20110329%20-%20Nickel%202-4-5%20Slant%20Zone%202.png

Nickel 2-4-5 Slant Zone 2 – Nickel 2-4-5 Slant Zone 2 from a coverage standpoint is a standard 2 deep, 4 under fire zone pressure. The play calls for the two inside linebackers in the 2-4-5 formation to move to each side of the formation to show blitz. Combined with the pre-snap movement of the nickel cornerback, remaining linebackers, and both defensive tackles, the play gives the look of an “exotic” blitz scheme in which any combination of the players could blitz.

ryby6969
03-29-2011, 09:50 AM
I don't like the fact the middle of the field will be open for a few seconds waiting for people to get into their zones. Quick routes over the middle look like they will destroy this play. Have to wait and see.

gschwendt
03-29-2011, 09:52 AM
I don't like the fact the middle of the field will be open for a few seconds waiting for people to get into their zones. Quick routes over the middle look like they will destroy this play. Have to wait and see.
Unless they have some sort of new animation or trigger that says "sprint to" for them to get to their spot in the zone. I'll be interested in seeing this play in action and curious if they have other plays in this or other formations that have similar fake blitz coverage.

ryby6969
03-29-2011, 09:56 AM
It won't help if a TE lines up to the right side of the formation and runs a streak though. Especially if he has any quickness at all. It also looks like a run to the right might be money also. Like you said though, maybe they did other things to make plays like this work. I really wish they would bring back delayed blitzes.

CLW
03-29-2011, 10:05 AM
I actually like this play. It would be really good in 3rd and long/medium situations. Of course, slants by slot receivers and routes by the tight end across the middle could really hurt this defense. I just LOVE that the defense is gettin' some LOVE this year. Hopefully, the AI is improved as well as all of this is for not if zone coverage still completely sucks.

xMrHitStickx904
03-29-2011, 10:08 AM
Wish the corner was in a purple zone, but I can adjust to that. I like the look of it, definitely want to see how the alignment will be when I show blitz.

Kwizzy
03-29-2011, 12:46 PM
Love anything new on defense. Like any of the plays they've released, a lot depends on the changes made/not made to gameplay.

steelerfan
03-29-2011, 01:09 PM
I think a big part of this play will be the pre-snap look. As stated above, if you know it's coming, the middle will be open momentarily. How "momentarily" remains to be seen. I'm with Kwizzy on this one.

Jayrah
03-29-2011, 05:14 PM
:) New "exotic" blitzes and more presnap movement in general are going to be welcome, especially from this particular formation imo. I think the key to the play will be calling it in the right situation and "setting it up" correctly. All blitzes have openings in them. My only fear vs the cpu is that the cpu will snap the ball too quick for the presnap movement to take place, leaving the user players out of position when they make their moves to their zones.

steelerfan
03-29-2011, 05:19 PM
All blitzes have openings in them.

Bingo!

JeffHCross
03-29-2011, 10:06 PM
It won't help if a TE lines up to the right side of the formation and runs a streak though. Especially if he has any quickness at all.However, if you're not expecting this play (I'm hoping the pre-snap movement doesn't telegraph it), then you'll have to hope you have the right play called.

cdj
03-31-2011, 09:46 AM
http://thegamingtailgate.com/images/NCAA12/25NewPlays/20110331%20-%20Nickel%202-4-5%20Cover%203%20Bluff.png

Nickel 2-4-5 Cover 3 Bluff - The complimentary play to the Nickel 2-4-5 Slant Zone 2, the Nickel 2-4-5 Cover 3 Bluff uses the exact same pre-snap movement by the linebackers, defensive tackles, and nickel cornerback. This scheme falls in line with what’s known as an “illusion” defense. The defense gives the offense the appearance of an all out blitz with the exotic look, but in reality it’s a basic 3 deep, 4 under zone coverage.

Kwizzy
03-31-2011, 10:04 AM
Nice! Welp this at least shows that they recognize the need to provide similar looks for different plays. Lets hope this theme has carried throughout all of the plays in the game.

CLW
03-31-2011, 10:36 AM
loving these defensive looks and the variations that will keep people guessing. perhaps the game will be a little more balanced than in years past.

xRomo9
03-31-2011, 10:44 AM
loving these defensive looks and the variations that will keep people guessing. perhaps the game will be a little more balanced than in years past.

True! People have seen the same play for 5yrs now with no real change so when you line up they know what D your in and the have a counter for it. casual players have no chance!. lol

CLW
03-31-2011, 11:05 AM
True! People have seen the same play for 5yrs now with no real change so when you line up they know what D your in and the have a counter for it. casual players have no chance!. lol

Shizzle your right. I take it back then. Bring back no knowledge required NCAA Football. :nod:

steelerfan
03-31-2011, 01:39 PM
Nice! Welp this at least shows that they recognize the need to provide similar looks for different plays. Lets hope this theme has carried throughout all of the plays in the game.

Couldn't agree more. I like what I'm seeing so far. :nod:

Jayrah
03-31-2011, 04:48 PM
Good stuff

gschwendt
04-05-2011, 09:18 AM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5103/5592388622_bf7e40af51_z.jpg

Dime 3-2-6 Spinner Buck Dog 1 – An aggressive blitz pressure scheme that’s used by teams such as LSU and Nebraska, Dime 3-2-6 Spinner Buck Dog 1 is a good play to use in passing situations. The play uses a six man pass rush which includes the right cornerback. This concept along with reference material was provided to us through community feedback

Kwizzy
04-05-2011, 09:21 AM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5103/5592388622_bf7e40af51_z.jpg

Dime 3-2-6 Spinner Buck Dog 1 – An aggressive blitz pressure scheme that’s used by teams such as LSU and Nebraska, Dime 3-2-6 Spinner Buck Dog 1 is a good play to use in passing situations. The play uses a six man pass rush which includes the right cornerback. This concept along with reference material was provided to us through community feedback

So badass! Nebraska destroyed Missouri with this "spinner" package last year. Word out of spring practice says they're working on a version of this for the big 10 too that's more like a 3-4 (50 front) defense. Can't wait to try this out!

EDIT* After re-reading my post, I realize what a filthy hypocrite I am for what I said about the Auburn play released last week. To each his own I guess... :D

morsdraconis
04-05-2011, 11:27 AM
Interesting. I wonder why the change in play art for the safety playing man coverage? Is that a late coverage assignment where the safety fakes playing high and then flies over?

psusnoop
04-05-2011, 11:30 AM
Interesting. I wonder why the change in play art for the safety playing man coverage? Is that a late coverage assignment where the safety fakes playing high and then flies over?

That is kinda what I get, be interesting to see this if it is true and I'd assume there would more plays like that as well (play art that is)

steelerfan
04-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Hmm. Looks like man disguised as zone. Is that what we're seeing Kwizzy? Very promising for the defensive side of the ball!

CLW
04-05-2011, 03:15 PM
I generally don't like blitz calls where one guy (of the 5 potential receivers) is left totally uncovered. I suppose you could manually control the safety and pick up the wide open receiver but unless its 3rd and long and the only person uncovered is a back and/or te running out in the flat this could be risky.

gschwendt
04-05-2011, 03:19 PM
I generally don't like blitz calls where one guy (of the 5 potential receivers) is left totally uncovered. I suppose you could manually control the safety and pick up the wide open receiver but unless its 3rd and long and the only person uncovered is a back and/or te running out in the flat this could be risky.I often just control the MLB in a situation like this and read the HB... if he goes out for a pass, I cover him, if he blocks, I blitz or play a hook zone.

steelerfan
04-05-2011, 03:21 PM
I generally don't like blitz calls where one guy (of the 5 potential receivers) is left totally uncovered. I suppose you could manually control the safety and pick up the wide open receiver but unless its 3rd and long and the only person uncovered is a back and/or te running out in the flat this could be risky.

I only play Dime against 4 WR, so at least for me, it'd be a back that's uncovered. I'm more excited by seeing new playart (thus, a new scheme) than I am by the particular play.

Kwizzy
04-05-2011, 06:54 PM
My guess would be that the red play art indicates that the FS is coming up fast to press the WR but that's just a guess, perhaps the dotted does mean pre-snap but IRL I don't believe they show this blitz too early.

Couple of things about this play....
1) This is definitely not a play you would call if you're worried about the offense getting 5 yards. This is a 3rd and long play that gets the defense off the field. The basic idea is to make the QB get the ball out early. If the QB reads the corner blitz and gets the ball out hot to the WR, the FS either jumps the route for a pick or simply makes the tackle before the sticks forcing the punt.

2) I know that IRL, some of Pelini's blitzes utilize a "peel" technique where the outside blitzer on each side will cover the RB if they run a route to his side or continue the blitz if not. Unfortunately I doubt the game has that built in but like gschwendt said, it can be done manually.

3) I have seen Pelini run this corner blitz action in a simple Cover 1 Defense against some power running teams (K-State this past year) to limit cutbacks & force the RB to hit the hole rather than wait for his blocks to develop. In the game in the past I have done this by using a Double X or Z defense and hot routing the CB to blitz.

Any way you cut it, it's a really neat concept.

Jayrah
04-05-2011, 07:53 PM
Very nice concept.This looks also like a play that you would run the corner from the short side of the field to give the safety less field to cover. This is one of the plays that makes the ratings for zone and man coverage from safety really stick. It will now matter even more if you want to sub a fast and good safety package in for man coverage on just this type of play. Thank God it's not a zone. I'm getting sick of "this is great, but if zone defense isn't fixed it's all for not blah blah"

psusnoop
04-06-2011, 08:56 AM
My guess would be that the red play art indicates that the FS is coming up fast to press the WR but that's just a guess, perhaps the dotted does mean pre-snap but IRL I don't believe they show this blitz too early.

Couple of things about this play....
1) This is definitely not a play you would call if you're worried about the offense getting 5 yards. This is a 3rd and long play that gets the defense off the field. The basic idea is to make the QB get the ball out early. If the QB reads the corner blitz and gets the ball out hot to the WR, the FS either jumps the route for a pick or simply makes the tackle before the sticks forcing the punt.

2) I know that IRL, some of Pelini's blitzes utilize a "peel" technique where the outside blitzer on each side will cover the RB if they run a route to his side or continue the blitz if not. Unfortunately I doubt the game has that built in but like gschwendt said, it can be done manually.

3) I have seen Pelini run this corner blitz action in a simple Cover 1 Defense against some power running teams (K-State this past year) to limit cutbacks & force the RB to hit the hole rather than wait for his blocks to develop. In the game in the past I have done this by using a Double X or Z defense and hot routing the CB to blitz.

Any way you cut it, it's a really neat concept.

:up:

gschwendt
04-07-2011, 09:13 AM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5026/5597521269_77d8712e19_z.jpg
3-4 Predator Cover 2 Sink – The 3-4 Predator is a defensive set that calls for the right outside linebacker to align in a three point stance. This gives teams that base out of the 3-4 the ability to get into a 4-3 look. Cover 2 Sink has both corners getting depth on their zone drops in order to take away the natural void in Cover 2 between the safeties and cornerbacks.

morsdraconis
04-07-2011, 09:41 AM
Yay! The Predator look. About god damn time! Now flesh it out and make it an actual formation (instead of only 6-10 plays) and I'll be happy.

Kwizzy
04-07-2011, 10:00 AM
Looks really nice. I hear ya Mors, hopefully all of the new formations and playbooks have been fleshed out.

Jayrah
04-07-2011, 10:08 AM
Yay! The Predator look. Now flesh it out and make it an actual formation (instead of only 6-10 plays) and I'll be happy.

THIS!

CLW
04-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Yep you guys above have covered it. Nice play but the formation/package needs SEVERAL more plays to make it a viable staple of a team's defense.

JeffHCross
04-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Yay! The Predator look. About god damn time!+1,000,000.

gschwendt
04-12-2011, 08:39 AM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5067/5612737715_57cbe066c9_z.jpg

4-2-5 Under Slide Rover Wk Dog – 4-2-5 Under Slide is a new defensive formation for NCAA Football 12. This defensive look from the 4-2-5 calls for the secondary to align in a two deep look with one cornerback aligned tight and the other aligned in a loose technique. Rover Wk Dog is a pressure scheme that allows the defense to rush four defenders at the weak side of the offense.

Kwizzy
04-12-2011, 08:49 AM
Very nice! Eventually I would like to see an overhauled presnap adjustment system, especially on defense, that would allow these types of adjustments (CB's in press/off, etc... ) to be made on the fly to any play quickly. Very nice concept though.

CLW
04-12-2011, 10:32 AM
Liking the new formations/packages. Just hoping they are more than 6 plays or so deep.

Jayrah
04-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Liking the new formations/packages. Just hoping they are more than 6 plays or so deep.

Even at 6 plays deep these are going to add a tremendous amount of extra looks and support. I really like the concepts of the pressure packs right now!

cdj
04-12-2011, 12:43 PM

It sounds (from the description) that this will be an entirely new formation, so I'm guessing/hoping it will be rather fleshed out.

Jayrah
04-12-2011, 11:57 PM
It sounds (from the description) that this will be an entirely new formation, so I'm guessing/hoping it will be rather fleshed out.

Sure hope thats the case!

cdj
04-14-2011, 09:51 AM
http://thegamingtailgate.com/images/NCAA12/25NewPlays/20110414%20-%204-2-5%20Okie%20Across%20Bullets%20Dbl%20A.jpg

‎4-2-5 Okie Across Bullets Dbl A – 4-2-5 Okie Across places the five defensive backs in the formation in a loose alignment of about 8 to 10 yards. In addition to the alignment of the defensive backs, the right defensive end aligns in a two point stance similar to that of an outside linebacker. Bullets Dbl A sends both linebackers in the formation on blitzes in each A gap.

CLW
04-14-2011, 10:15 AM
Nice! Looks like allot of new/additional blitz packages this year. If coverage is fixed/improved could this be the year of Defense?

ryby6969
04-14-2011, 10:34 AM
Nice! Looks like allot of new/additional blitz packages this year. If coverage is fixed/improved could this be the year of Defense?

God I hope so. I hate the fact that it is nearly impossible to have a defensive battle in the game.

morsdraconis
04-14-2011, 10:52 AM
I just can't see these plays working as intended... Unless they make man coverage work as intended, I just don't see these cover 0 plays ever really being used.

ryby6969
04-14-2011, 11:40 AM
I just can't see these plays working as intended... Unless they make man coverage work as intended, I just don't see these cover 0 plays ever really being used.

I think it is more about pressure getting to the QB like it is intended. Most of these blitzes are designed to fool the o-line and that just doesn't happen on a consistent enough basis.(if ever) If the QB has 3 to 4 seconds to find a receiver with these cover 0 plays, then yes they will rarely get used.(by me at least)

Jayrah
04-14-2011, 04:28 PM

Wait....

I thought last week you were saying man was over powered and works too well???

Im also a bit confused on why some of you refuse to see the positives in new plays as JUST NEW FREAKING PLAYS, even though its the first time this gen that defense has been even touched.

"Zone doesnt work, so it's worthless!" "Man doesnt work so its pointless!" .... "Nobody can use cover 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 or 6, so nobody will play defense cause its hopeless!" We get it dudes... You're wasting your money and EA is wasting their time because nothing works like it does IRL!!!

These are pictures! They are being shown to us for play sake only. Wait till you see something, anything in action. Then you can say specifically WHY you think something wont work with some logistics and in game flaws and we'll all break it down together. Until then idk why you can't enjoy that they have given us new plays and multiple new formations to work with, and solely judge the play from a strategy and playart basis. Even if they end up not working perfectly like they're drawn up, its nice to have new looks.

morsdraconis
04-14-2011, 04:55 PM
Wait....

I thought last week you were saying man was over powered and works too well???

Im also a bit confused on why some of you refuse to see the positives in new plays as JUST NEW FREAKING PLAYS, even though its the first time this gen that defense has been even touched.

"Zone doesnt work, so it's worthless!" "Man doesnt work so its pointless!" .... "Nobody can use cover 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 or 6, so nobody will play defense cause its hopeless!" We get it dudes... You're wasting your money and EA is wasting their time because nothing works like it does IRL!!!

Wow, fix your gasket man cause it's blown.

Man coverage doesn't work like it does in real life (where the corners play on one side of their man based on what the coverage is) but it's definitely FAR too effective right now. But, it's only far too effective right now because the coverage man runs the route before the receiver does most of the time (unless the coverage guy sucks or your receiver is ridiculously talented at route running). Cover 0 is rarely used outside of short yardage situations and goalline.

But, if man coverage worked as intended (in a cover 0 situation, the corner would give up the underneath stuff all day but NEVER let the receiver get past them on deep stuff and would most definitely NEVER bite on a run fake or out 'n up - but none of that is the case with the way man coverage works as of right now) you'd see this play used more often than in short yardage situations. Teams in real life use Cover 0 far more often than just short yardage situations, but, as of how man coverage is circa '11, it's pretty much useless and just asking for a huge play to happen against you.

morsdraconis
04-14-2011, 04:56 PM
Until then idk why you can't enjoy that they have given us new plays and multiple new formations to work with, and solely judge the play from a strategy and playart basis. Even if they end up not working perfectly like they're drawn up, its nice to have new looks.

I am looking at it from a strategy standpoint, but a strategy standpoint based in the context of the game. In the game, that play is unfortunately not as useful as it would be in real life because of how I noted man coverage works/doesn't work when compared to how it should work in real life.

JeffHCross
04-14-2011, 06:44 PM
I just can't see these plays working as intended... Unless they make man coverage work as intended, I just don't see these cover 0 plays ever really being used.You call Cover 0 at the right time and the right situation, even in NCAA 11 it's useful. We have no idea how man coverage is going to work in 12, so saying it will/won't work is crazy talk at this point.

Nice! Looks like allot of new/additional blitz packages this year. If coverage is fixed/improved could this be the year of Defense?:nod:
(Emphasis on could)

morsdraconis
04-14-2011, 07:50 PM
You call Cover 0 at the right time and the right situation, even in NCAA 11 it's useful. We have no idea how man coverage is going to work in 12, so saying it will/won't work is crazy talk at this point.

I'm sorry, but it's not crazy talk. Crazy talk is acting like, all of a sudden, the guys working on the game actually know football.

Man coverage hasn't been even remotely correct since the PS2 days (and the only reason why it was even close to being correct there was because they actually gave use the ability to decide which side of the man we wanted our coverage to play). Call me cynical, but I just don't see the magical fix coming to fix man coverage (aka, having the setups for every single defensive play in the game actually be correct when it comes to how man coverage should work for that particular play).

Hell, I liked '11. I liked it so much, I bought it twice (once for the 360 and then for the PS3 when I switched over), but it's one thing to enjoy the game for what it is and it's a completely different thing to hope and pray that, sooner or later, it's going to be as good as it was 8 years ago.

You'll have to excuse me if I've given up hope for this generation of the game to ever be anything more than a solid football game that's got flaws that are hard to look past sometimes.

Jayrah
04-14-2011, 09:12 PM
I guess Im just sayin.... You've given up hope.... Oh wait you just said that. ;)

Gasket is not blown, just hissing :). I just dont understand why you are still complaining about every play that comes out. We all know you dont think anything is going to work. And we all know there are coverage flaws. We know that. But lord have mercy the plays are well done as far as the variety of concepts go. This thunder cop for example, great implementation that we lacked before. It's so nice to finally have more plays and formations defensively. You dont think they'll work! Great! Wait till you can show us why because of gameplay footage. Thats all Im saying.

Jayrah
04-15-2011, 12:51 AM
So I have a couple questions for you mors. Obviously we all hope that the new formations give us a plethora of new plays from those formations and are fleshed out and all that, so that is a given hope.

1. What do you want to see from the defensive playbooks that you haven't seen yet? Regardless of gameplay, it could be a particular missing formation, or a play style or a specific play type. For me I know blitzes are going to make the games "show me" list, cause we all want to know what the pressure packages look like. But I want to see some stand up blitz packs (gosh dang it can't remember what it's called now, but it's out of dime and dime 3-2-6) that include bluff blitzes. Currently if the D-ends are standing you know some sort of overload blitz is coming and all you have to do is check out. I want either a 3 or 4 man rush option defensively (well, multiple looks obviously). That would be really nice and effective without me having to hot route 2 defenders.

2. In cover 0, ignoring the gameplay issues, defensively what is the spot on the field you would use this concept? Your particular complaint about the way man is construed leads me to believe you would use this at any point on the field, but I don't necessarily agree that it is a good play for anywhere. What would be the situation for you?

JeffHCross
04-15-2011, 06:54 AM
I'm sorry, but it's not crazy talk. Crazy talk is acting like, all of a sudden, the guys working on the game actually know football.Note that I said "saying it will/won't work". Either one is crazy talk because we have no idea what the team's been focusing on. Especially since they announced earlier in the year that Defense was the major focus for the year, I have to imagine that something will be different this year.

Deciding that anything will or won't work in NCAA 12, based on no evidence what-so-ever, is crazy talk.

cdj
04-15-2011, 07:02 AM
I'm sorry, but it's not crazy talk. Crazy talk is acting like, all of a sudden, the guys working on the game actually know football.

I think the problem is translating football knowledge from the chalkboard to coding isn't an easy job. Osborne, Paterno, Bowden, and the ghost of Bear Bryant could get employed by EA, 2K, or 505 tomorrow and while that'd give that staff the greatest football knowledge in history, it would do nothing to help with coding and/or game design.

As for opinions on plays & the game, it is their $60 that has to get spent on it so if anyone is unsure or unpleased then I don't blame them. Those not satisfied should definitely give the demo a big run and/or rent the game before a purchase. I'm optimistic that they wouldn't be showing some of these plays if they didn't put some serious work in on particular aspects.

morsdraconis
04-15-2011, 10:01 AM
1. What do you want to see from the defensive playbooks that you haven't seen yet? Regardless of gameplay, it could be a particular missing formation, or a play style or a specific play type. For me I know blitzes are going to make the games "show me" list, cause we all want to know what the pressure packages look like. But I want to see some stand up blitz packs (gosh dang it can't remember what it's called now, but it's out of dime and dime 3-2-6) that include bluff blitzes. Currently if the D-ends are standing you know some sort of overload blitz is coming and all you have to do is check out. I want either a 3 or 4 man rush option defensively (well, multiple looks obviously). That would be really nice and effective without me having to hot route 2 defenders.

From the defensive playbooks, I'm pretty much seeing what I'd like to see already, somewhat. I'm a 3-4 defense guy all the way. Rarely, if ever, use anything else. You won't ever see nickle formation from me against 3 WR sets. That's giving the offense exactly what they want (less men in the box to therefore have a better chance of running the ball against you). I hate having to us the Dime 3-2-6 formation, but I will.

So, long story short, I want a full 16-20 plays from the 3-4 Predator look where some of the blitzes and coverage match up (like they showed for the with the two Nickle 2-4-5 plays) and for that to carry throughout the other formations of the 3-4. That would be quite nice.

2. In cover 0, ignoring the gameplay issues, defensively what is the spot on the field you would use this concept? Your particular complaint about the way man is construed leads me to believe you would use this at any point on the field, but I don't necessarily agree that it is a good play for anywhere. What would be the situation for you?

Cover 0 isn't an anywhere play, but it's definitely not a short yardage only situation. It depends on matchups though to determine it's true usefulness (something else, sadly, that isn't as much of a factor as it should be in NCAA).

If I can (be that, my corners are talented or up against not so talented receivers), I have no problem putting them on an island to get extra pressure early (usually on 1st down towards their side of the field). But, I'd only do that if I was able to make sure that my corners played inside and loose (aka, giving up the sidelines but not the deep route).

My main issue with the play in question is the type of blitz that it is with Cover 0 behind it. Based on the play art (and scheme), that's a delayed blitz up the middle to get the extra man free. With Cover 0 behind it, a delayed blitz is definitely the last thing you want to do. That type of blitz is better used for zone coverage (usually some type of exotic look that's a combination of Cover 2 and Cover 3) where you have the extra time to get to the QB.

Note that I said "saying it will/won't work". Either one is crazy talk because we have no idea what the team's been focusing on. Especially since they announced earlier in the year that Defense was the major focus for the year, I have to imagine that something will be different this year.

Deciding that anything will or won't work in NCAA 12, based on no evidence what-so-ever, is crazy talk.

Hey man, I really do hope something is different this year with defense. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that the only thing that's going to be different is zone defense is going to be "better". I say "better" because I'm positive it still won't work how it should. Why do I think that? Because zone defense has never worked how it should. Not even in the PS2 days has it worked as it should.

In the end, I'm basing my feelings on how the core gameplay has progressed in just the last 3-4 years of the game (since this team has been working on it). We've gotten a lot of presentation and graphics additions. The game is definitely prettier than it has ever been and it's definitely got the presentation looking very nice (making it feel more like watching a game on TV than ever before on the next gen console).

But, gameplay wise, it hasn't changed much since '09. Defense has been terrible since jumping to next gen. Offense still don't have fundamental blocking schemes down (like actual pass protection). Zone blocking is still not where it should be because of the lack of cut blocking and crack-back blocking.

I think the problem is translating football knowledge from the chalkboard to coding isn't an easy job. Osborne, Paterno, Bowden, and the ghost of Bear Bryant could get employed by EA, 2K, or 505 tomorrow and while that'd give that staff the greatest football knowledge in history, it would do nothing to help with coding and/or game design.

I'd actually have to disagree with that. I think their entire problem is not enough football knowledge. I think what could benefit them more than anything is getting guys that have actual input on the game to go to coaching seminars. There's plenty of them out there during the winter-spring period and that alone would increase their knowledge of the game by quite a bit.

As for opinions on plays & the game, it is their $60 that has to get spent on it so if anyone is unsure or unpleased then I don't blame them. Those not satisfied should definitely give the demo a big run and/or rent the game before a purchase. I'm optimistic that they wouldn't be showing some of these plays if they didn't put some serious work in on particular aspects.

I hope so Chris. I really do. But, I won't find out because I'm not buying the game this year (unless I decide to get my 360 fixed for the third freakin' time).

cdj
04-15-2011, 10:38 AM
I'd actually have to disagree with that. I think their entire problem is not enough football knowledge. I think what could benefit them more than anything is getting guys that have actual input on the game to go to coaching seminars. There's plenty of them out there during the winter-spring period and that alone would increase their knowledge of the game by quite a bit.

If I read and heard correctly, it was announced the Madden team will be doubling in the future. Indirectly, that should assume more people added to the Central Gameplay team which would only help both Madden NFL and NCAA Football.

Jayrah
04-15-2011, 11:04 AM
If I read and heard correctly, it was announced the Madden team will be doubling in the future. Indirectly, that should assume more people added to the Central Gameplay team which would only help both Madden NFL and NCAA Football.

That is awesome! I hope its the very near future, cause I know we've all wondered why there were so few guys on the team as far as per development aspect. Might also be to help them get ready for the next gen too, splitting them up at some point.

Jayrah
04-15-2011, 12:56 PM
So, long story short, I want a full 16-20 plays from the 3-4 Predator look where some of the blitzes and coverage match up (like they showed for the with the two Nickle 2-4-5 plays) and for that to carry throughout the other formations of the 3-4. That would be quite nice.

I tried 3-4 for the first time in extended action this year in the Big 12 dynasty I am in at TSO (TF). I really liked what it did for me but I had 2 major problems, especially in user games.

(1) I had to recruit faster LBs to keep up with the spread offenses in the Big 12. The first 2 years I had big strong guys that really got after the run and played downhill, but I soon found out that we couldn't stay with any TE's or even FBs in the passing game and it was murdering me. This meant I did not (could not because of necessity really) recruit bigger run stopping LBs that you need to hold down more run worthy teams. Now, partially this is because there are not enough different player types available, that would allow you to really go after a 3 star run stopping LB as opposed to a 4 star fast guy, for just the sake of filling that role in your LB rotation. And there also are not enough player types at the same level. AKA two or three or four 5 star LB's that are all really good, but have totally different attributes to their games. Certain types of ratings (speed and agility especially) are necessary to accomplish certain star power players, and I would really like to see that change where a slow guy can still be a star player out of HS, but his attributes are in run stopping/reading plays/block shedding.

(2) Second issue was that rotating was difficult to accomplish, especially at my DE spot because I had too many of the same player type, but just at different skill levels. So I could rotate, but I feel like I'm just losing attributes for no apparent reason. Of course, rotation is key to any defense, but especially a 3-4, because different situations call for those different player types. A look like the predator actually allows the true rotation of a solid 4 DE's if you've got them (3 DE's and the Hybrid guy) because you get the 2 starters for the 3-4 normal, a 3rd to rotate into the solid formation, and the hybrid on one side with a starter or rotating starters on the other side of the predator. And of course that gives you a guy that you can recruit strictly for the predator role, which will add a fun wrinkle to recruiting and form subs.

Cover 0 isn't an anywhere play, but it's definitely not a short yardage only situation. It depends on matchups though to determine it's true usefulness (something else, sadly, that isn't as much of a factor as it should be in NCAA). If I can (be that, my corners are talented or up against not so talented receivers), I have no problem putting them on an island to get extra pressure early (usually on 1st down towards their side of the field). But, I'd only do that if I was able to make sure that my corners played inside and loose (aka, giving up the sidelines but not the deep route).

I don't think cover 0 is a good short yardage play either. It (in theory of real life defense) gives up too much easy stuff. Washington State has used a ton of cover 0 the past few years in short yardage situations, and it's "move-the-chains-baby!" for the other team. Matchups in the game are most definitely not as much of a factor as they should be. I think it's a direct carry-over from animations not allowing different player types to make different plays on the ball, and of course not enough pronounced player types being available defensively from the CB and Safety positions. Big hitters are generally slower, coverage guys are generally faster, balanced guys don't really have great skills anywhere. There's Patrick Peterson's that do it all and then there's all the rest. There aren't really enough difference makers in multiple, different phases that are just solid 3 star players.

My main issue with the play in question is the type of blitz that it is with Cover 0 behind it. Based on the play art (and scheme), that's a delayed blitz up the middle to get the extra man free. With Cover 0 behind it, a delayed blitz is definitely the last thing you want to do. That type of blitz is better used for zone coverage (usually some type of exotic look that's a combination of Cover 2 and Cover 3) where you have the extra time to get to the QB.

I think occasional use of it in the open field is ok, and I agree with you I would like to see a zone look out of this blitz package as well. I don't think we will, but it would be nice to give the same blitz look with different coverages behind it. That's also one thing that I would really like to see more of in the defensive playbook.

Gameplay wise, it hasn't changed much since '09. Defense has been terrible since jumping to next gen. Offense still don't have fundamental blocking schemes down (like actual pass protection). Zone blocking is still not where it should be because of the lack of cut blocking and crack-back blocking.

Those blocks would be really nice additions. They are kind of dangerous though, and if the ncaa would not allow late hits into the ncaa series (as has been argued), these are blocks that will never make the game. Sadly in that case, zone blocking would never work like it should.

And HERE is where I agree with you quite a bit. Now, Chris may have a legitimate gripe for EA based on the fact that he's had the opportunity to actually talk to them and find out their level of football savvy, which may or may not indeed be decently high. However, it's obvious that before the last 2 years (with the additions of an old college qb to the EA team and a knowledgeable college football junkie to the helm of the team) the guys had no idea they were off base on some of the very basic concepts of football, ALA, football 101. I tried to think (as Chris is suggesting) for the longest time, that coding was the sole issue, and it still is a major one. But I think it was 3 years ago that I changed my thinking, when 09 was being worked on (before my blogging days began) and certain aspects of the game just didn't make sense. And then while 10 was in progress Ben H confirmed my thinking and mentioned something about blocking and interactions during a video for pass protection that just made NO sense what-so-ever, to simply promote the robotic (at the time) movements of the linemen and obvious suction blocking, as true football technique. And then of course recently the past 2 seasons it's been the formation of a pocket that's been promised and shown and promoted as true football technique, but not implemented at all correctly. Is it better? Somewhat yes, but not because of football technique knowledge. Along with major coverage flaws, which aren't easy to get right by any stretch, but as you eluded to here Mors, it's not even just the technique. It's the entire coverage system. And then last season the team promised a patch that would allow LB's to help out over the deep middle by getting the correct depth, and even said "LB's will now get the correct depth in their drops" and it did not even come close to happening.

Promoting your game is great and necessary. But this has been an ongoing theme of approaching certain and all aspects of the game, as it pertains solely to football. These are football junkies, in the fan sense of the game, and they are around football 24-7-365, so saying it's not getting better and can never be right is a lie for sure. But I think the average super-fan doesn't understand why techniques are how they are. They just understand the end results of the big picture, which is the way NCAA and Madden previously approached the game. In fact for Madden 10, the theme by the team was "If you see it on Sundays..." and last season it was "Be the Coach". That right there is how they approached the game, big picture. That's fine except the fine points of football that make 11 on 11 football function the way it does IRL are not being addressed in a manner that shows up in the game.

The addition of football savvy to the team has been a priority, as has been using the community for football feedback. And obviously with the jump last year of the way the offense operates, I have immense faith that the defense can be fixed (if it is indeed a priority) to function in a respectable and semi-appropriate manner. I gotta say, I have had some defensive wars on 11, but eventually the offenses get going, because the flaws in the game allow offenses the benefit. Nothing has to be perfect defensively, but it would be nice to get a game where for example, if a lot of man is called with help over the top, you have to either find your playmakers in good matchups, or throw underneath to your TE's and RB's, and just take what you can get. Then the defense comes up and makes stops. If a lot of cover 0 is going on, you have to take advantage of underneath routes and hit them consistently and just be patient, and you can't throw it deep to beat the coverage unless it's busted or you get the occasional play by your superstar WR, but otherwise it's picked or knocked down or overthrown. Basically it would be nice to have to play to the weaknesses of certain defenses, rather than to the strengths of your offense or just certain routes all the time. In this way a good, talented defense could really slow down a weaker opponent offensively and you could get some really good defensive games without anything being perfect.

SJSUSpartans10
04-18-2011, 01:01 PM
If you're lazy to click through each photo on the NCAA facebook page, here's a video of all 25 plays with descriptions of each play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV5WrPXcUaE

Cipher 8
04-24-2011, 12:10 PM
At first I didn't think much of these new plays cuz of the bad zone coverage of the past but now I can actually see myself running these. Every now and then in 2011 I would run zone just because I like zone blitzes more then man coverage but in 2012 it might be all that i run now.