PDA

View Full Version : Homefront (360, PS3, PC)

I OU a Beatn
03-15-2011, 07:23 PM
Anyone get this? I've put in about 15 games online so far and the shit is ballin'. Absolutely love it. The graphics are a little underwhelming(think of MAG), but the game play is polished as hell. It's probably what MAG should have been.

cdj
03-15-2011, 09:05 PM
I thought it looked pretty solid & interesting from the little I saw. I might have to pick it up down the line. How is the single-player?

morsdraconis
03-15-2011, 09:07 PM
Interesting. Played any of the singleplayer stuff? It sounded like it was going to be interesting.

I might pick it up (going to have ~$100 in Amazon Gift Card monies here in a few days and nothing to really buy with them).

EDIT: and Chris read's my mind...

gschwendt
03-15-2011, 09:12 PM
Every review I've read said that the single player is poorly formed and rather short but that the multiplayer is good if that's your cup of tea.

I OU a Beatn
03-15-2011, 09:17 PM
I only played about a chapter and a half, but I thought it was immensely interesting. Considering I completed that in approximately 45 minutes and there's only 6 chapters, I'd definitely say it's around 5 or 6 hours on normal depending on how good you are. It has a very nice story and atmosphere to it.

However, the multiplayer just blows it out of the water. I was surprised at how good it was. It plays a lot like MAG, but the battle points system works so well, the guns have a unique feel to them, the maps are very nice, everything is balanced. It's just a great, great multiplayer experience. I'm loving every second of it so far.

JeffHCross
03-15-2011, 10:19 PM
Every review I've read said that the single player is poorly formed and rather short but that the multiplayer is good if that's your cup of tea.What's "poorly formed" mean?

The IGN review said that the story was immersing and well done, with the downside being that the single-player is relatively short.

I'm confident I'll pick it up, but probably not for a while (until it's cheap). Multiplayer is not my cup of tea, so I'd just be paying for a short single-player experience.

morsdraconis
03-15-2011, 10:26 PM
Everything I've seen (NUMEROUS Multiplayer videos of the game on youtube) makes me REALLY want to play it. Reminds me a lot of MAG + Battlefield 2 which is awesome (hopefully it doesn't have MAG's issues of people progressing so far that starting from scratch is instant death town all game for the people that get into the game "late" or it just taking FOREVER to go up the first few levels to get a decent gun).

The battlepoints system looks pretty damn cool (instantly being able to buy some different items is a pretty neat idea) and the drones are some of the coolest ideas I've ever seen (the recon drone is very cool).

I will definitely be purchasing this game now that I've looked at the multiplayer. I just hope it doesn't become complete bullshit like COD always does after a few weeks (or less)...

JeffHCross
03-15-2011, 10:29 PM
This is what made me decide I'd get it eventually -- as soon as I saw it back during E3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5yyWZ2Z6Ps

gschwendt
03-15-2011, 11:00 PM
What's "poorly formed" mean?

The IGN review said that the story was immersing and well done, with the downside being that the single-player is relatively short.

I'm confident I'll pick it up, but probably not for a while (until it's cheap). Multiplayer is not my cup of tea, so I'd just be paying for a short single-player experience.
From what I read, it sounded like the story wasn't very well put together and it didn't give you a true sense of "Red Dawn" type atmosphere where you're fighting for something rather than just shooting people that stood across from you.

Like you, I'll eventually try it, most likely in December when Steam has their Christmas sale.

I OU a Beatn
03-15-2011, 11:17 PM
Everything I've seen (NUMEROUS Multiplayer videos of the game on youtube) makes me REALLY want to play it. Reminds me a lot of MAG + Battlefield 2 which is awesome (hopefully it doesn't have MAG's issues of people progressing so far that starting from scratch is instant death town all game for the people that get into the game "late" or it just taking FOREVER to go up the first few levels to get a decent gun).

The battlepoints system looks pretty damn cool (instantly being able to buy some different items is a pretty neat idea) and the drones are some of the coolest ideas I've ever seen (the recon drone is very cool).

I will definitely be purchasing this game now that I've looked at the multiplayer. I just hope it doesn't become complete bullshit like COD always does after a few weeks (or less)...

Game play wise, it's pretty much a clone of MAG. The animations look like MAG, the graphics look like MAG, the details on the guns look like MAG, etc..so yeah, it feels a LOT like MAG. However, it's a more refined experience. The gun play is heavier and more realistic, the difference between a level 75 and 1 isn't as great, and with the battle points system it adds a strategic element to the game. "Do I use my points now for a ground drone or do I save up for an Apache attack chopper?" I absolutely love it.

Having played it so much today, EVERYTHING has a counter to it. Everything. My opponent wants to drive around in a tank? Alright, I'll throw down an EMP grenade(temporarily disables vehicles and drones) and then blow his ass to kingdom come with an RPG. You want to camp for kills? Ok, you get more than 2 kills in a row and you get two people assigned to you to hunt your ass down. The more you kill, the more people get your general area on their screen. You want to snipe on your side of the map? Sounds good, I'll just mark you and then drop a hell-fire bomb on your ass. :D

I mean, it's truly great in that sense. It's the most strategic FPS I've ever played, and so much of the game play revolves around little cat and mouse games.

SmoothPancakes
03-15-2011, 11:47 PM
What's "poorly formed" mean?

Yeah, this game just came up on my radar in the past month or two. Definitely going to look into buying this sometime down the road, maybe during the summer when the slowdown of games that I'm interested in comes around. Just wish they'd release a demo so I could get a feel for it.

oweb26
03-16-2011, 08:13 AM
Everything you have said is relatively correct I am still not enjoying it for some reason. I think BBC2 was a more polished game, granted I do think its better that COD (but I generally dont like COD, so there might be a little bias there). I think the player movement is killing it for me , players move entirely too slow, the maps arent as big as everyone keeps saying they are they just arent COD small, and they arent BBC2 big either. I am generally not that impressed but I think that's moreso of old age and just not as dedicated to games as I once was.

On that note IOU you are alwasy in love with shooters , I dont think I have ever seen you not like a shooter, even KZ2 you were boycotting on principle more than on substance. I guess you really disliked COD though.

JBHuskers
03-16-2011, 09:06 AM
Those counters definitely sound interesting to me.

I OU a Beatn
03-16-2011, 09:30 AM
There's plenty of shooters I do not like. Medal of Honor was a huge disappointment, as was Bad Company 1 and 2. Call of Duty MW2 and Black Ops were both huge disappointments. KZ3 is a huge disappointment(as it is - we'll see how it is in a few weeks). I think MAG was the last one that I actually liked, and that was released well over a year ago. :D

morsdraconis
03-16-2011, 09:39 AM
MAG looked great in principle, but it was shit to get into after such a long time of it being around. It takes ages to go up levels and you are nothing more than a sitting duck for people to blow off the face of the world because of how under equipped you are compared to them (lvl 2-3 vs lvl 60+).

Everything I saw looked like it was pretty easy to go up the first few initial levels (ALWAYS a good thing) and the first few guns looked ok (the SCAR is always a nice weapon) and, as I said before, the battlepoints system is some seriously cool shit. I want to play this game so bad now, it's killing me...

I OU a Beatn
03-16-2011, 09:46 AM
I don't like the SCAR on this game, simply because it's a 3 round burst weapon. I've been using the ACR(which you unlock within the first hour of game play) and it's an absolute wrecking machine.

As for MAG, you would have probably liked it if you played it before all the major changes they made in patches, which completely destroyed the game and made the number of players playing it go from 15,000 at once, down to less than 2,000. It's a perfect example of why not to severely fuck with your game after it's been released.

morsdraconis
03-16-2011, 09:56 AM
That's probably true, but, really, that's the case with any console FPS after a good year of it being out. The number of players is going to always drastically drop as new stuff comes out.

Just be glad you're not playing Homefront on the PC where there are already people cheating:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9ynL6zIYu4

oweb26
03-16-2011, 10:03 AM
There's plenty of shooters I do not like. Medal of Honor was a huge disappointment, as was Bad Company 1 and 2. Call of Duty MW2 and Black Ops were both huge disappointments. KZ3 is a huge disappointment(as it is - we'll see how it is in a few weeks). I think MAG was the last one that I actually liked, and that was released well over a year ago. :D

We can probably agree on MOH, I saw what they were trying to do but didnt quite accomplish. BBC1 was ok at best to me, BBC2 I have really enjoyed alot, I dont agree with some of the calss setups and the team squad thing was utter BS (if you own BBC2 on xbox, join me and my friends I bet you will have a blast), in total agreeance with MW2 and black ops (utter shit would be the phrase I would use).

I still havent even opened KZ2 I did enejoy MAG up until I fell behind in rank, I was still able to hold my own but it was much less enjoyable becasue I basically had to get alot of clean up kills or stay at my distance and pray I got lucky.

But for the life of me I cannot figure out why I am not enjoying myself on this game that much, Its not the graphics, just something about it I cant pinpoint. Looking at metacritic I am not the only one having that problem, everyone is saying the same thing and most are giving it not good scores, but the reviews themselves are actually ok.

I OU a Beatn
03-16-2011, 10:12 AM
Wow, that's ridiculous...hacking on the first day. :D

I OU a Beatn
03-16-2011, 11:56 AM
Just try and not jump all over this deal:

Homefront for $41.96 PLUS $15 credit through Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003Q55YCU/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20)

Go ahead, try not to. :D

morsdraconis
03-16-2011, 11:58 AM
GAH! Why isn't my Gift Card credits there yet!?! GAH! :D

JBHuskers
03-16-2011, 12:39 PM
Interested, but not sure how much I'd play online. With such a short campaign, I'll probably wait til I can get it for $20. If it is already $41.96 on Amazon....that may not take that long.

morsdraconis
03-17-2011, 08:47 AM
Still feeling it after another day of playing?

I'm SO tempted to just buy it instead of waiting for my Amazon Trade-in Money...

I OU a Beatn
03-17-2011, 09:49 AM
Yeah, I'm still playing it. I got a 5 star threat yesterday running around like a maniac with my SMG. That shit was exhilarating.

oweb26
03-17-2011, 10:36 AM
I can see where you compare it to MAG its pretty much like MAG, though I did like MAG, and I am not to fond of this one. I can already see where people are going to get good and absolutely own with those fast choppergunner thingy. I was in one match and three were up at one time it was actually quite funny, though Im sure my teammates would disagree.

Though I will say overall I can see where people like the game, I just dont for some reason.

JBHuskers
03-17-2011, 02:36 PM
Interesting, from THQ via Joystiq:

Amazon and Wal-Mart.com have raised the prices back up and it was a one day play to gain market share on the biggest title in the industry right now. THQ did not support this in any way, shape, or form.

UGA14
03-19-2011, 09:32 AM
You guys are actually able to play? I would get it but there's SO many reports of freezing and lockups on the PS3 that there's no way I would give them $60 for a coaster right now.

I OU a Beatn
03-19-2011, 11:19 AM
I've played about 50 games and haven't had a single freeze or lock up, so I have no idea.

UGA14
03-20-2011, 03:20 PM
Well bought the game on PC through Steam (mistake). Hope they will give me my money back, but I doubt it. Terrible. Runs like absolute garbage on a computer that far exceeds every spec is recommends. What a joke...

morsdraconis
03-27-2011, 09:36 PM
Still playing this IOU? I'll have my copy tomorrow (finally). I'm excited. First time I've been excited for a FPS in a long time.

I OU a Beatn
03-27-2011, 11:34 PM
I've stopped playing until they patch it, but not because I'm not enjoying. I'm clear up to a level 49 and there's a reset bug that randomly resets you back to 1, and it's such a long way back up...that I decided to just wait until it's patched. I've been itching to play it really bad, though, so hopefully it's patched up soon.

JBHuskers
03-28-2011, 12:00 AM
I almost pulled the trigger on this for $35 on eBay, but realized there is an Online Pass.

morsdraconis
03-28-2011, 09:17 PM
Wow, is the PS3 version of this game really THAT far behind everyone else? The lag is HORRENDOUS (and not only for me). WTF? And here I was really looking forward to playing this game but what's the point when the lag is so bad I get killed by guys before I even seen them show up in front of me...

I OU a Beatn
03-28-2011, 10:47 PM
No idea. I never once experienced any lag whatsoever, and I already have a good 30 hours into the game. The lack of lag is the one immediate thing that makes me enjoy the game. I'd check your connection and make sure you're either NAT 1 or NAT 2.

morsdraconis
03-28-2011, 11:03 PM
It's not just me man. It's pretty much everyone. The lag is horrendous and the game is just pissing me off. Apparently, barely anyone plays the fuckin' PS3 version of this game and the only match type that they play is the shitty one that's only 16 players and switches between TDM and GC.

My disappointment of this game is so beyond anything thing that I expected...

I OU a Beatn
03-28-2011, 11:28 PM
It's not everyone, I have the PS3 version and I've yet to experience any lag. Granted I haven't been playing as much as I don't want my rank to reset since I'm so high up, but I played 2 games last night and it was as smooth as butter just like it was before.

As for the numbers, I'm sure tons of people play it. They've been having issues with their matchmaking since this last patch, and you're probably going to have long waits in the matchmaking until they get the upcoming patch out, which is supposed to be either this week or next. I only had to wait for about 2 minutes last night to get into a full game of Battle Commander Ground Control, but I have read a bunch of people having trouble getting a full game.

cdj
06-13-2011, 12:23 PM
Homefront studio shut down, Series creation shifting to Montreal

The New York City-based developer of Homefront, Kaos Studios, has been shut down, according to a source close to the studio. It's not clear if the shutdown was due to the performance of the game, the high cost of operating a studio or some combination of factors. We've reached out to THQ for official confirmation.

UPDATE: Describing it as "a strategic realignment within its internal studio structure," THQ confirmed in an e-mailed statement that Kaos and the company's UK studio have been shuttered. THQ's Montreal studio "will take over product development and overall creative management for the Homefront franchise," the company noted. While declining to answer direct questions from Kotaku about whether the cost of living in New York or the quality of the first Homefront were factors, the company did not that it is hiring for its Montreal, Vancouver and Austin, Texas studios. Plus: "THQ's UK studio and KAOS employees will have the opportunity to interview for open positions with the company globally."

Courtesy: Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/5811346/homefront-studio-shut-down)

morsdraconis
06-13-2011, 03:04 PM
Wow. The game wasn't great, but I didn't think it was THAT bad. Damn.

I OU a Beatn
06-13-2011, 03:15 PM
It had nothing to do with the game. They shut down the studios because the cost of running a studio in New York...much like everything else, is super expensive. They moved the development to their Montreal studio where they already confirmed they're developing Homefront 2...which I personally can't wait for.

JBHuskers
06-13-2011, 03:20 PM
Hopefully that will drop the price of the game, I wanna give it a try, but not for anymore than $20 or so.

JBHuskers
09-06-2011, 12:40 PM
Hopefully that will drop the price of the game, I wanna give it a try, but not for anymore than $20 or so.

Nearly 3 months after I post this, I finally scored a basically new copy of it for $17. I'll just fly through the single player and put it back up.

I OU a Beatn
09-06-2011, 01:56 PM
Pro tip: don't play on the hardest difficulty.

Homefront was one of those games that had one or two little nagging issues that prevented me from loving it, and then they just never fixed it, which is a pity. It had a ton of potential online but they were just way too slow to react to the issues and fix them while releasing DLC. If they release a gigantic map pack, I will pick it back up, though. I had a lot of fun playing it.

JBHuskers
09-06-2011, 02:04 PM
Pro tip: don't play on the hardest difficulty.

Homefront was one of those games that had one or two little nagging issues that prevented me from loving it, and then they just never fixed it, which is a pity. It had a ton of potential online but they were just way too slow to react to the issues and fix them while releasing DLC. If they release a gigantic map pack, I will pick it back up, though. I had a lot of fun playing it.

Does it have the Online Pass thing?

I OU a Beatn
09-06-2011, 04:41 PM
Yep.

cdj
09-20-2011, 07:30 AM
Legendary FPS developer set to take THQ’s successful original IP to new heights... (http://www.thq.com/uk/gamenews/show/15994/5404/)

THQ today announced that the next title in its Homefront® franchise will be developed by multi-award winning FPS veterans Crytek.

"Selecting Crytek to take Homefront forward underscores our strategy of working with the industry's best talent," said Danny Bilson, EVP Core Games, THQ.

"Homefront's unique setting and storyline captivated gamers the world over. With Crytek’s industry leading technology and legendary experience in the FPS genre, we’re supremely confident that the next Homefront will deliver that AAA-quality experience that players demand."

"We see Homefront as a really strong universe that has a lot of potential and that has been expertly created and marketed by THQ," said Cevat Yerli, Founder, CEO and President of Crytek. "We believe that bringing our level of quality, creativity and production values to the next Homefront title, creates an opportunity for both THQ and Crytek to deliver a truly blockbuster game. It's really important to us that THQ has the faith in giving us a lot of creative freedom over one of its most important properties to allow us to bring the Homefront world to life in a new and innovative way."

The first Homefront title was released in March 2011, and proved to be a commercial success for THQ. The yet to be named sequel is scheduled for release in THQ's fiscal year 2014 on console and PC platforms.

I OU a Beatn
09-20-2011, 07:44 AM
Very interesting. I'll definitely keep an eye out for it.

morsdraconis
09-20-2011, 09:47 AM
Meh. It's just gonna be boring like all the others. The reason why Homefront sucked was because the multiplayer was horrible because the hit detection was atrocious. This game will turn into a clone of Crysis 2, which sucked, and thus be another FPS I don't play at all.

I OU a Beatn
09-20-2011, 01:29 PM
I thought the hit detection was fine. I stopped playing because of all the server issues during the first month. It took them way too long to fix it.