PDA

View Full Version : Redbox is Now Testing Game Rental Program

JBHuskers
05-27-2010, 07:25 PM
Anyone around Orlando, Wilmington, or Reno, let us know how it is.

From Joystiq:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2010/02/redboxkiosk02172010.jpg

As a staff with a statistically high number of social phobias, we're big fans of automated rental kiosk company Redbox. Renting movies at 2 a.m. from outside the local Kroger is not only convenient, it's also strangely illicit, like the robotic equivalent of perusing the stolen watches in a street vendor's furtively opened trench coat. Replace "stolen watches" with "copies of Valentine's Day" and the metaphor totally works, we promise.

Sadly, if you'd like a similar way to anonymously rent games, you're out of luck ... unless you live in Reno, Nev., Wilmington, N.C. or -- now -- Orlando, Fla., where Redbox's video game rental program is being currently being tested. If you've got a spare $2 per night, why not hike to your local Winn-Dixie, 7-Eleven or Walgreen's and let us know what it's like living in the future?

JBHuskers
05-28-2010, 01:20 AM
I could get a decent feel for a game if I gave it one good night. $2 would be a good price to pay to see if the game is worth getting or not.

steelerfan
05-28-2010, 01:26 AM
I agree, I'd do this from time to time for a "test run".

UGA14
05-28-2010, 09:36 AM
Well too bad I live in Charlotte. Though my video store gets new games and rents them for that or less per night. Game rentals are kind of going away with demos though.

JBHuskers
06-18-2011, 01:58 AM
Forgot I had a thread for this when it broke initially....

Obviously got Duke Nukem Forever:

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s159/jbennett98/2011-06-17_17-01-00_765.jpg

Overall I'm pleased with it so far. I'm going to get a good value for $2 say if I get a game at 5PM and not have to take it back til before 9PM the next night, especially on a weekend.

JBHuskers
06-18-2011, 09:47 PM
So I went to return Duke Nukem Forever....there is not much of a selection at all in the machine, but it is all newer games like Brink, Infamous 2....still a nice deal for trophy whoring ;)

gschwendt
06-18-2011, 09:51 PM
So I went to return Duke Nukem Forever....there is not much of a selection at all in the machine, but it is all newer games like Brink, Infamous 2....still a nice deal for trophy whoring ;)
Yeah, I'm sure they're still testing to determine how much of a push there will be for games, as well how well each location will do. I'll rent some from time to time but it will be throw-away titles (like Duke Nukem, Black Ops, etc.)

I OU a Beatn
06-19-2011, 05:42 PM
I thought games in Redbox went National? I checked mine and none of them had 'em. :(

gschwendt
06-19-2011, 05:46 PM
I thought games in Redbox went National? I checked mine and none of them had 'em. :(
You checked online? Did you switch to the Games tab at the top? I'm fairly sure they're covering most of the nation... I would assume if the Redbox near me has them, a large majority will have them.

I OU a Beatn
06-19-2011, 06:00 PM
I didn't even check online, I just happened to stop by. I read on Joystiq that it was a nationwide rollout, so I just assumed mine would have them. Neither of the ones near me had them as far as I could tell.

JBHuskers
06-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Almost every Walgreen's in town here has them.

SmoothPancakes
06-20-2011, 02:16 AM
None of the three here in town have game, yet. Bryan, about a 20-25 minute drive to my north has games in the Redboxes in town, but I can't say I'd be up for taking an hour, and using up the gas, just to drive up and rent a game and drive back. I'll most likely just wait until sometime in the future when they, hopefully, start showing up here in town.

JBHuskers
06-26-2011, 01:05 PM
In true trophy whore fashion, I wanted to continue to support this so they continue it....and I got Cars 2 for PS3 :D

SmoothPancakes
06-26-2011, 01:14 PM
Well, games are finally starting to show up at one of the Redboxes in town. Still a very limited selection though. Only games that are available are:

Cars 2
Transformers: Dark of the Moon
Brink
Lego Pirates of the Caribbean
Red Faction Armageddon
You Don't Know Jack

JBHuskers
06-26-2011, 03:10 PM
Cars 2 is pretty fun. Basically Mario Kart.

CLW
06-26-2011, 08:30 PM
Rented a couple of movies from a Kroger redbox here in Houston and noticed they had some PS3 games to rent too but I am sans PS3 until 6/30 so I didn't really pay attention to what was available.

morsdraconis
06-26-2011, 09:03 PM
Supposedly, the ones around here have some but I'm really just not that interested in renting anything from them. I pretty much have all the 360 games I could want to play at the moment (until NCAA '12 comes out).

Iron Dragon
06-27-2011, 07:12 AM
According to their website, we have an entire three games in our redbox. Would really like to go try L.A. Noire because that's in there supposedly.

JBHuskers
06-27-2011, 08:30 AM
According to their website, we have an entire three games in our redbox. Would really like to go try L.A. Noire because that's in there supposedly.

Three including those that are already rented out? It should show games that they have but are rented.

JBHuskers
06-27-2011, 09:42 PM
(guess this is worth posting in this thread too....)

Redbox is REAL nice, they have their clocks 7 or 8 minutes slow :D :D :D it was 9:02 or 9:03 when I returned the disc....

Your copy of "Cars 2 PS3" was successfully returned on 6/27/2011 8:55:22 PM. You kept "Cars 2 PS3" for 1 day(s).

You paid for "Cars 2 PS3" when you picked up your disc and will not receive any additional charges.

JBHuskers
07-04-2011, 02:30 PM
If you sign up for texts you'll get promo codes sent to you every so often. Just chatted with support, and they're basically a $1 off coupon. A regular DVD rental is free, blu-ray would be $0.50, and games would be $1. I just got one for today.