PDA

View Full Version : GDC: 72% of Players Finished Heavy Rain. Here's why that's incredibly impressive.

JBHuskers
03-04-2011, 10:36 AM
GDC: 72 Percent of Players Finished Heavy Rain. Here's why that's incredibly impressive. (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/115/1153279p1.html)

When you first see a statistic like "72 percent of players who started Heavy Rain finished it", it can be difficult to determine what that means. After all, data needs context. Sure, that number seems high – but in high school that'd be the equivalent of a C, which is average. However, if you compare it to the industry average completion rate, which is 20-25 percent, it's downright astounding.

David Cage, president of Quantic Dream (the company behind the title), revealed this information today at a panel during the Game Developers Conference.

To add in some extra perspective I thought I'd compare Heavy Rain's statistics to another extremely popular title, Mass Effect 2. IGN's overall Game of the Year for 2010, Mass Effect 2 only boasted a 50 percent completion rate despite receiving more critical acclaim. Heavy Rain garnered an 87 average on Metacritic.com, while Mass Effect 2 secured an almost perfect score of 96.

Are you part of the 72 percent that finished the game? If so, sound off in the comments and let us know what you thought.

CLW
03-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Finished this bad boy. The game is simply outstanding. I cannot recall having more fun with a video game than Heavy Rain in a long time. The only real "complaint" I have is the story starts a little slow but that gives you time to learn the controls. Would LOVE for Sony to make another title like this.

morsdraconis
03-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Finished this bad boy. The game is simply outstanding. I cannot recall having more fun with a video game than Heavy Rain in a long time. The only real "complaint" I have is the story starts a little slow but that gives you time to learn the controls. Would LOVE for Sony to make another title like this.

This plus a million (minus the fact that I didn't 100% it but I just don't have the patience to do that with any game, much less one like Heavy Rain where it's exactly the same minus when people die early or you fail certain things too quickly).

CLW
03-04-2011, 11:51 AM
This plus a million (minus the fact that I didn't 100% it but I just don't have the patience to do that with any game, much less one like Heavy Rain where it's exactly the same minus when people die early or you fail certain things too quickly).

It's really not a hard Platinum. Once you get the Perfect Crime trophy you only have to restart towards the very end to get the remainder of the endings.

I personally played through the game on my own with no help once and then used the PS3 Trophies.org guide to get the rest of the trophies.

Basically that just required me to play through completely twice and then "mop up".

JeffHCross
03-05-2011, 11:31 AM
( I think we should just turn this into a general GDC thread )

http://guidesmedia.ign.com/visualhistory/pacmans/PacMan_Kilobytes.jpg

JeffHCross
03-05-2011, 11:53 AM
A very ... interesting ... article, now. Not sure what to think of it. GDC: StarCraft II is Like NFL Football (http://pc.ign.com/articles/115/1153819p1.html)

Okay, now I'm just jealous. GDC: Peter Molyneux's Accidental Gaming Career (http://pc.ign.com/articles/115/1153587p1.html)

Before Peter Molyneux was a famous game developer, he was just a man living in England. To generate income, his girlfriend's father convinced him to start a company that shipped baked beans to the Middle East. He innocently named his company Taurus, not knowing that the name would be his key into the gaming industry.

After shipping beans for some time, Molyneux received a call from Commodore. Slightly confused but eager to see what this inquiry was all about, Molyneux obliged their invitation to visit the company's offices. Commodore presented him with the Amiga 1000 and asked him to create a software program for it – not a game. It dawned on Peter that Commodore had mistaken his bean-shipping company with a legitimate software company named Torus, but he didn't correct them. The following week, Commodore shipped him several Amigas and Peter's first programming adventure had begun.