PDA

View Full Version : Forum Feedback - March 2011

cdj
03-01-2011, 02:38 PM
We'll have a new one each month, open for all to give feedback.

If we missed something in the previous month's thread, post again here. Feedback can be anything, ranging from smilies to new content idea, etc. Feel free to PM if you don't want to post an idea publicly.

JeffHCross
03-01-2011, 06:05 PM
A thought ...

All of our emotions are between colons:

:popcorn: :mad: :sick: :check:

Except the recruiting ones:

[espnu150] [6star] [5star]

Consistency would be :check::check:

I think the Community Wishlist forums, for NCAA and Madden (when it's done), should get archived off somewhere so they're still easily found. I know how to find them, but others might want to drop by and check them out.

:nod:

SmoothPancakes
03-01-2011, 06:13 PM
I concur on both counts.

steelerfan
03-01-2011, 06:45 PM
More emoticons. See the forums at covers.com :)

cdj
03-03-2011, 10:45 AM
- All smiles now enclosed with :

- Tourneys: What do you guys recommend? A new category/forum called "Wish List Tournaments" with NCAA, Madden, etc. in it and each year archived?

oweb26
03-03-2011, 11:36 AM
I like that idea that way we can eaily go back and find old tourneys without scrolling 50 pages of different threads.

I was thinking like
Tourneys Folder>Madden>2011
Tourneys Folder > NCAA>2011

I hope that made sense basically one folder, then having two seperate folders (madden and NCAA) Then having each year in a folder with all the tourneys. You could also incorpate differnent years realease date information in it.

JeffHCross
03-03-2011, 08:47 PM
Chris: I like either the idea of a master WishList forum like oweb suggested, or just moving the WishList forums into the General Discussion / Madden 12 forums. Either or would work for me.

Hell, just a sticky with a link would be enough for me. The key is to make them accessible without us having to know to look for them.

gschwendt
03-03-2011, 09:25 PM
In the vote for the NCAA 12 cover athlete, show off who you want to the rest of the forum. Edit your profile and at the bottom, you'll see an option to select who you want. That will add a tag to your quick-profile to the left of your posts. Let us know any feedback but it's just a little something I whipped up.

JBHuskers
03-03-2011, 09:28 PM
In the vote for the NCAA 12 cover athlete, show off who you want to the rest of the forum. Edit your profile and at the bottom, you'll see an option to select who you want. That will add a tag to your quick-profile to the left of your posts. Let us know any feedback but it's just a little something I whipped up.

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

I OU a Beatn
03-04-2011, 09:41 AM
Question about an idea that clw brought to my attention:

Would it be possible and if so, hard hard would it be, to implement icons for our post bit? He brought up the idea of possibly getting a little trophy or something there each time you're awarded the whore of the month, which I think is a great idea. It would even go as far as adding a little extra competition and motivation to get in there and do some work.

It could apply to other things to. Like 1k, 5, 10k, 20k, or whatever post count. If someone is constantly making informative or helpful posts, they could get an award for that to display. Obviously, you'd have to cap it off at a certain number per user so the postbit isn't 5 miles long, but I thought it was a good idea.

Is that something you guys would be up for? I don't care so much about the other stuff, but I thought the whore of the month icons were a fabulous idea. I know it would probably be a bit of a strain on the server and would probably be a pain for someone to design the icons, but just throwing that idea out there.

psuexv
03-04-2011, 12:04 PM

Would it be possible and if so, hard hard would it be, to implement icons for our post bit? He brought up the idea of possibly getting a little trophy or something there each time you're awarded the whore of the month, which I think is a great idea. It would even go as far as adding a little extra competition and motivation to get in there and do some work.

It could apply to other things to. Like 1k, 5, 10k, 20k, or whatever post count. If someone is constantly making informative or helpful posts, they could get an award for that to display. Obviously, you'd have to cap it off at a certain number per user so the postbit isn't 5 miles long, but I thought it was a good idea.

Is that something you guys would be up for? I don't care so much about the other stuff, but I thought the whore of the month icons were a fabulous idea. I know it would probably be a bit of a strain on the server and would probably be a pain for someone to design the icons, but just throwing that idea out there.

So something like this for the Whore of the Month.

http://www.notaddicted.com/files/blogimages/cristie-kerr-trophy-kiss.jpg

CLW
03-04-2011, 12:06 PM

I like the idea (obviously). I know some forums do "awards" (little icons where our Gamer Ids are currently) for post counts; OD championships; Fantasy Championships; etc... However, they can go "overboard" with a ton of awards that get "recognized" for "silly" things (see VSNDaily as an example)

Possibility to limit this would be to only have ONE Trophy Whore "award" and treat it like a wrestling title. Each month the winner gets the award on his profile but could lose it to whoever wins the award the next month. This could be done for any other "awards" (Poster of the Month; New guy of the Month; Most Helpful; etc....) if you guys wanted to go the "award" route.

psuexv
03-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Or you could nickname the awards after specific posters like the Big Ten just did with it's awards..... whore of the month could be referred to as the JB Whore of the Month award.

I OU a Beatn
03-04-2011, 12:30 PM
I was thinking it would be accumulative, that way we could end up tracking it for like..the full year, and see who had the most awards for the year. I mean, I don't think anyone would acquire that many that it would become a problem. 12 months in a year, reset once the new year rolls around, and there's no way the same person is going to win 12 times, so I think it would be better to be accumulative so you can kind of show it off. But I'm open to anything really, it was an awesome idea on your part. Hopefully it's something that's not going to be too hard to too demanding to implement. I'd love to get some feedback on the idea from cdj/jb/gschwednt as to whether that would work.

For example:

Violator wins 4 months, I won 3 months, JB won 3 months, and cdj won 2 months. Since V had the most, he'd get the whore of the year award for 2011. Monthly ones would start over fresh but he'll always be able to keep the yearly one. That way we can kind of make a competition out of it.

gschwendt
03-04-2011, 12:50 PM
I will say that it is feasible to do either a single image for the reigning whore or to do multiple months... though what might be better is instead of having four different images, have an image of four trophies stacked on top of each other and have the mouse-over say something like "JBHuskers is a #winner for March, July, and October."

I also agree with CLW that too many awards tags, etc. could easily get overboard.

CLW
03-04-2011, 01:31 PM
I will say that it is feasible to do either a single image for the reigning whore or to do multiple months... though what might be better is instead of having four different images, have an image of four trophies stacked on top of each other and have the mouse-over say something like "JBHuskers is a #winner for March, July, and October."

I also agree with CLW that too many awards tags, etc. could easily get overboard.

Yeah it's DEFINITELY one of those "I'll know it when I see it" in re: going with too many awards. However, if we use your idea on the multiple trophies in one image that would certainly keep the "clutter" down.

Perhaps limiting awards to only a certain number of categories would help also.

Most forums that I have seen go this route usually have:

#1 Post Count awards; 1K, 3K, 5k, 10K, etc... (you only get to "keep" one award i.e. someone with 5K+ posts only has one 5K award image)

#2 League/Dynasty Championships: Usually there is an award/trophy if someone wins a National/League championship in a dynasty/league that is being hosted on the forums. Here a little image of the BCS trophy could be used for any OD Champions we have. Tiger award for the #1 ranked player here at TGT could also be a possibility.

-- At Tradition they also used to give awards to members for #1 Recruiting Classes; Conference Championships and maybe a few other things that slip my mind

#3 Poster/New Comer of the Month - usually the forum has the powers that be nominate X number of members they deem worthy and puts it to a private vote OR the powers that be just declare people the poster/new comer of the month.

#4 Donator Awards - Instead of our color system (which I've seen sites use too) usually some sort of $ sign award is given to those who have donated to the site.

gschwendt
03-04-2011, 01:52 PM
One possibility, and I'm just spit-balling at this point, is that we could actually have a separate forum theme for each OD that we host and in each theme, we could turn on the OD specific ones so that you only see them when browsing that OD's forum. We could still show the BCS winners and stuff like that on the public ones, but the #1 class, conference championship, etc. would only show in the OD's forums. The only problem there is that it obviously starts to become a lot of maintenance depending on how many ODs we have.

cdj & I will discuss the options and see what we can come up with.

HawkFan
03-04-2011, 03:27 PM
I would like to see more community wide tournaments like we did for the holidays when playing NCAA. It does not even have to be NCAA but any game that recently came out or a lot of the members play.

steelerfan
03-04-2011, 07:23 PM
JB is a whore.

He would have the trophy permanently. Seems pointless/futile.

JBHuskers
03-04-2011, 10:05 PM
JB is a whore.

He would have the trophy permanently. Seems pointless/futile.

:up:

cdj
03-05-2011, 05:37 PM
I like the idea of earned icons as well and we'll be exploring possibilities. Gschwendt and I talked about it briefly when he was adding the Vote icons and we agree that we don't want you guys to have a ton of badges; you're forum members, not Girl Scouts. :P Keep any ideas coming.

Also agree with Hawkfan, I'd like more tourneys and events as well. We will try and make it a goal to have a monthly event once NCAA 12 comes out and the Tailgate Golf Association will give us weekly events for Tiger 12 starting at the end of this month.

JeffHCross
03-05-2011, 08:51 PM
Never mind -- user error.

gschwendt
03-07-2011, 01:29 PM
We need to add this to the site:
http://www.nakedpassword.com/ (moderately safe for work)

HawkFan
03-07-2011, 04:33 PM
That is definitely one way to get people to make stronger passwords. But I could also see the chance that people who make a hard password or even impossible one and not be able to remember it because their mind would be on other things.

Flav
03-12-2011, 10:00 AM
Is there a way to just give donators red names, and people who haven't donated a different color? :)

cdj
03-12-2011, 11:07 AM
Is there a way to just give donators red names, and people who haven't donated a different color? :)

Yeah, I think that should be pretty easy to do. I'll make that change tonight or tomorrow. Good idea.

I OU a Beatn
03-12-2011, 11:31 AM
I don't think anyone's name should be red because it confuses the hell out of me. Out of all the forums I've been on, the admins are the only ones that have a red name, so I've grown quite accustomed to that. Personally, I think admins should be red, moderators(do we even have those? :D) should be another color(let's say...blue?), donators should be another color(I've always loved gold for 'premium members' idea), and then regular members should be plain ol' black.

Flav
03-12-2011, 11:39 AM
idea-

admins = red name
donators = bolded black name
others = black name

:)

I OU a Beatn
03-12-2011, 09:31 PM
That's much better. Good call on the colors, cdj and great suggestion, BigBlue. I've thought it for a long time but never got around to posting.

CLW
03-15-2011, 12:33 PM
Now where is my Trophy Whore of the Month Award?

JBHuskers
03-15-2011, 12:39 PM

"it's in the mail"

SmoothPancakes
03-15-2011, 01:07 PM

"it's in the mail"

And you owe $12.95 in shipping and handling charges. Unless you prefer the free shipping route. In that case, it'll be there in 4-8 weeks.

JBHuskers
03-16-2011, 12:40 PM
I do like the gold color for the donators....

steelerfan
03-16-2011, 12:47 PM
I do like the gold color for the donators....

It helps you guys count those stacks of cash. :D

JBHuskers
03-16-2011, 12:55 PM
It helps you guys count those stacks of cash. :D

I don't have access to the Swiss bank account yet :dunno:

CLW
03-16-2011, 02:52 PM
"it's in the mail"

Sweet b/c I got that little playbook thingy after the photo contest! I'll keep checking the mail box. :nod:

steelerfan
03-16-2011, 03:28 PM
I don't have access to the Swiss bank account yet :dunno:

Someone must not want you risking their retirement on BetUS. :P

HawkFan
03-16-2011, 03:34 PM

Or buying everything he's ever wanted on Amazon.

JBHuskers
03-16-2011, 03:48 PM

Or buying everything he's ever wanted on Amazon.

Know me too well :smh:

CLW
03-23-2011, 07:13 AM
Another emotion icon idea would be for the individual, conference and bowl trophies. This could be used for dynasty reporting next season.

JeffHCross
03-23-2011, 06:52 PM
Did you guys make a change to the RSS feed for the front news page? It went from readable to a disaster this week. It looks like all the <>'s are getting removed from the stream. Could be something in my Reader (especially since when I look at the RSS directly it looks fine), but Pasta's RSS, and other feeds I read that have HTML embedded, appear unaffected.

JeffHCross
03-23-2011, 09:44 PM
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101554

morsdraconis
03-23-2011, 10:28 PM
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101554

+1 billion

cdj
03-24-2011, 01:14 PM
Did you guys make a change to the RSS feed for the front news page? It went from readable to a disaster this week. It looks like all the <>'s are getting removed from the stream. Could be something in my Reader (especially since when I look at the RSS directly it looks fine), but Pasta's RSS, and other feeds I read that have HTML embedded, appear unaffected.

It is working perfectly in Outlook Express for me. We haven't made any changes to the feed.

JeffHCross
03-24-2011, 08:32 PM
Weird, must be something Google changed. I just looked back through past things in the feed, and it's only certain items that are giving me problems. But whatever happened, it's affecting the entire feed, even history. Which is very weird.