PDA

View Full Version : Punt Returns

hillbill
02-28-2011, 03:37 PM
Anyone have any advice on punt returns? In my off-line dynasty I'm awful. I've yet to return a punt for a TD on this years game as well. Is it strictly about accelaration? It seems as though the gunners are ALWAYS right in my face. I've thought about trying my O Linemen and have them try to block the gunners and see if that helps...? :P:(

morsdraconis
02-28-2011, 03:57 PM
Go with Punt Return Middle as your punt return play.

Hope they punt towards the middle of the field (if they don't you're not very likely to pull this off).

If they do, take control of one of the blockers on the gunners and hope you can get them in place to pancake the gunner. If you can, you're on your way. From there, it's just hoping you can get enough blocks to get around the corner.

It's been the only way I've ever been able to pull it off, and 9 times out of 10, it's against a shitty team or a FCS school.

JeffHCross
02-28-2011, 07:55 PM
Grab the end guy on one side of the line (not the gunners) and move him back as basically a personal protector for your returner. Get a returner with high AGI and high ACC. Put all that together and you have your best shot.

But, keep in mind, there's a large gap between "I'm awful" and "I've yet to return a punt for a TD". Returning a punt for a TD takes a lot of luck, more than anything else, and some major talent in the return game. I've returned a few, but only against inferior talent or with superstars toting the rock. If you just want to improve, the big things are what I outlined above + CAR and CTH. CTH to make sure they field it cleanly, and CAR to make sure they can keep hold of it when they inevitably take a hit.

Marlowe
02-28-2011, 10:47 PM
this wasn't a return for a TD but it's the only one I have that the PS3 didn't cut off...setup is the way morsdraconis described it above, punt return middle, etc.

Return man ratings: Spd: 98, Agi: 96, Acc: 86, Ret: 99

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/68518879

Amish
07-28-2011, 11:09 AM
I dont know if this is frowned upon but i got with punt block return 90% of the time and bring one dlineman back for extra blocking on the gunners. this forces the cpu to to have more player blocking for the punter giving you more open field when your guy receives. If he is fast enough he should be able to get to the corner. An added plus is ive gotten really close to punt blocks too.

kywildcat
08-01-2011, 04:03 PM
I dont know if this is frowned upon but i got with punt block return 90% of the time and bring one dlineman back for extra blocking on the gunners. this forces the cpu to to have more player blocking for the punter giving you more open field when your guy receives. If he is fast enough he should be able to get to the corner. An added plus is ive gotten really close to punt blocks too.
That seems to be about the best I've found for best chance at getting TD's but it also forces the punter to punt faster and he sometimes doesn't punt it very far leading to guys already being at your returner when he fields the punt. Basically it's 95% luck and 5% skill, you HAVE to have the luck of getting blocks mixed with the punt going to the perfect part of the field and giving you room to field the ball and have some room to run, if all these are in place then it takes the skill to be able to juke a guy and find the corner, you may even need a lucky break tackle. They don't happen very often so let your guys celebrate when the stars eventually align :)