PDA

View Full Version : LG vs. Sony (Blu-Ray Copyright Battle)

JBHuskers
02-28-2011, 02:21 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2011/02/lg-sony-fight.jpg

Looks like LG got a small victory :smh: (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/28/ps3-shipments-blocked-in-europe-as-lg-wins-preliminary-injunctio/)

The struggle between hardware manufacturing juggernauts Sony and LG -- the latter of which claims that the PS3 infringes on a number of its patents relating to Blu-ray technology -- has finally drawn some blood. The civil court of justice in the Hague has granted LG a preliminary injunction for customs to seize and confiscate all PS3s coming into Europe (from manufacturing plants, etc.) for up to ten days. The Guardian reports that the collected consoles are temporarily being kept in Dutch warehouses until the case moves forward.

According to the Guardian, retailers are expected to have enough PS3s to last two to three weeks. Sony has the right to file an appeal to the patents office -- but far more than some boxed-up consoles collecting dust is on the line. Should the court ultimately rule in favor of LG, the console maker would be forced to compensate the company for every single PS3 sold around the world. We've contacted Sony for a comment.

steelerfan
02-28-2011, 02:28 PM
Eww. This could be really bad for Sony.

CLW
02-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Meh Sony and LG are trading lawsuits left and right right now. I know Sony sued LG for the same thing with phones I believe it was. I suspect the lawsuits will magically disappear and Sony and LG will head their separate ways.

EDIT: In other words, the only people that are going to "win" in this legal battle are the lawyers representing LG and Sony.

Despite this fact you non-lawyers keep running to us screaming bloody murder about every little slight (both real and perceived). :smh: Oh well keeps me gainfully employed.

morsdraconis
02-28-2011, 02:49 PM
Holy cow. That's gonna be quite a bit of money coming from Sony's pockets.

JBHuskers
02-28-2011, 03:36 PM
meh sony and lg are trading lawsuits left and right right now. I know sony sued lg for the same thing with phones i believe it was. I suspect the lawsuits will magically disappear and sony and lg will head their separate ways.

Edit: In other words, the only people that are going to "win" in this legal battle are the lawyers representing lg and sony.

Despite this fact you non-lawyers keep running to us screaming bloody murder about every little slight (both real and perceived). :smh: Oh well keeps me gainfully employed.

:D :D

JeffHCross
02-28-2011, 07:39 PM
This is why I despise the entire system of patents.