PDA

View Full Version : NBA 2K11 Thread

I OU a Beatn
05-26-2010, 04:58 PM
If rumors are true, current Charlotte Bobcats owner, Michael Jordan, will be gracing the cover of NBA 2k11. ESPN has claimed multiple sources have confirmed the rumor. If it is true, one would be hard pressed to argue against this choice. Even years after retirement, Michael Jordan is perhaps arguably the most iconic figure in the game. His name recognition alone is sure to stir up buzz.

Back in the day, everyone wanted to “be like Mike.” However, with so many current superstars rising through the basketball ranks, will gamers still connect with Michael? Why not choose Lebron, who many see as a potential successor to Jordan, seeing as both will carry a hefty price tag to sign. Specifically, since Lebron’s upcoming free agency will stir up on heck of a publicity storm with the media.

A lot of decisions go into picking a prospective cover athlete for the game. Not only should they be recognizable for their on the court accomplishments, but they need to be able to be an ambassador to the game off the court. Cover athletes become the games spokesperson in a sense. This is why companies chose players who are not just talented and successful but also well spoken. There is a reason why Larry Fitzgerald, Troy Polamalu and Drew Brees have made it onto the cover before equally talented, but less polished speakers like Chris Johnson.

Source (http://www.wiredfans.com/rumor-michael-jordan-to-grace-nba-2k11-cover-920.html)

Hopefully it's true. If it is, I'll buy the game no matter what. Michael Jordan is my all time favorite sports player. So many memories of watching him make everyone look silly.

JBHuskers
05-26-2010, 06:23 PM
I asked Pasta Padre this but is it going to be the Michael Jordan who won championships in the 90's or the Michael Jordan at the craps table with a stogie in his mouth? If it is the latter, I'm all over it.

I OU a Beatn
05-26-2010, 07:08 PM
:D I'm assuming it's the first option.

cdj
05-26-2010, 07:18 PM
This info getting leaked today pretty much confirms the Live/Elite info if people were still doubting it.

Very cool to see MJ on the cover. My favorite player of all-time as well, so I may have to get this one down the line.

Jayrah
05-26-2010, 11:50 PM
I asked Pasta Padre this but is it going to be the Michael Jordan who won championships in the 90's or the Michael Jordan at the craps table with a stogie in his mouth? If it is the latter, I'm all over it.

HAHA. I wonder who's b-ball cap he'll be sportin'? If he wears a Bulls cap, and Lebron goes over to Chicago, would that be ok? And then Lebron on the cover for 12, that would be an EPIC 3-some from 10-12. Kobe, Micheal, Lebron. Maybe it'll be a Bulls player/Bobcat owner mixtape cover. :D

JBHuskers
05-27-2010, 09:57 AM
I've never owned an NBA 2K game...might see if I can get 2K10 cheap just to do some comparison.

UGA14
05-27-2010, 10:03 AM
Then 2k should be fun to you. The 2k series has pretty much become stale to me if you play it every year. The gameplay seems to never make any advances. The presentation in 2k10 is top-notch though and by far the best I've seen in a game, specifically the commentary.

JBHuskers
05-28-2010, 01:16 AM
Yep just got it for $26 on eBay. One of my auctions for a game I sold ended tonight and so basically I paid about $5 out of pocket. Gonna give it a whirl for a few weeks, and then prob sell it back.

morsdraconis
05-28-2010, 09:31 AM
Yep just got it for $26 on eBay. One of my auctions for a game I sold ended tonight and so basically I paid about $5 out of pocket. Gonna give it a whirl for a few weeks, and then prob sell it back.

It's definitely fun but it has some flaws. Goaltending is called WAY too often (had a three get counted because the CPU air balled it and it was grabbed out of the air next to the rim) and a player making any type of dribble move actually MOVES the defender out of the way, which is incredibly stupid and unrealistic.

And, of course, they've ruined being elite at shooting the ball at a certain distance (except for the CPU and the fuckin' 3 ball) where players like Kobe, Lebron, and Wade will miss wide open medium range jumpers, despite being 90+ rated at shooting the ball at that distance. And it's not just the occasional miss, it's worst night of shooting in their lives miss all the time type crap.

But, if you can do the dribble move stuff, you can destroy this game.

champ195797
06-01-2010, 12:54 AM
i've never owned 2k i've always been a live guy but almost went with 2k this year because of my player mode but stuck with live because i still loved the game if live or should I say elite brings out this analog stick crap im gonna get 2k because of that and plus MJ is the G.O.A.T

Jayrah
06-02-2010, 12:04 AM
It's definitely fun but it has some flaws. Goaltending is called WAY too often (had a three get counted because the CPU air balled it and it was grabbed out of the air next to the rim) and a player making any type of dribble move actually MOVES the defender out of the way, which is incredibly stupid and unrealistic.

And, of course, they've ruined being elite at shooting the ball at a certain distance (except for the CPU and the fuckin' 3 ball) where players like Kobe, Lebron, and Wade will miss wide open medium range jumpers, despite being 90+ rated at shooting the ball at that distance. And it's not just the occasional miss, it's worst night of shooting in their lives miss all the time type crap.

But, if you can do the dribble move stuff, you can destroy this game.

I've never had that experience with shooting with elite players in 2k. hmmmm. Not saying you're wrong, but I've just never noticed it unless they are dead tired.

JBHuskers
06-02-2010, 12:11 AM
2K10 came today. It was fun. They definitely do a lot of things well. I ran a quick half of a 5-min game. Then ran a 12-min game to grab some achievements.

JBHuskers
06-02-2010, 12:52 PM
It was confirmed today...Jordan will be on the cover. http://www.cnbc.com/id/37471683

skipwondah33
06-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Its a done deal for me..gotta get 2K now even though I think their player models and uni's on said player models look attrocious.

champ195797
06-02-2010, 09:52 PM
i'm a sneaker freak so i hope they add his serious of jordans it shouldnt be hard at all

I OU a Beatn
06-02-2010, 09:55 PM
This would be the sweetest cover ever:

http://thebestten.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/michael-jordan-last-shot-anniversary-1.jpg

Just thinking about that shot sends chills down my body. Easily the most amazing moment in sports I've ever witnessed.

cdj
06-02-2010, 10:49 PM
Kotaku article on how 2K has been trying to get Jordan for years (http://kotaku.com/5553947/nba-2k-was-trying-to-get-jordan-in+game-for-years). They also mention Mark Cuban as a playable character...I assume it's a joke based on MJ being an owner, but the way they brought it up in the article wasn't the smoothest segue.

JBHuskers
06-03-2010, 01:59 AM
This would be the sweetest cover ever:

http://thebestten.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/michael-jordan-last-shot-anniversary-1.jpg

Just thinking about that shot sends chills down my body. Easily the most amazing moment in sports I've ever witnessed.

Oh you mean when he pushed off ;)

Something like that would make a great cover....I think taking off at the FT line with Jordan in color and everything else in B&W would be sweet.

cdj
06-03-2010, 08:15 AM
There's a lot of potential for game features with MJ in the game. Perhaps a mode where you relive/replay his greatest moments.

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
06-03-2010, 09:02 AM
ill have to admit... this forum titled "other video games" usually doesnt exist to me since i dont own anything other than the college series... but i will post on this, just b/c of my childhood days of running around on our basketball court at the house pretending i was big mike... although i couldnt jump, was short, way too white, and could shoot fairly well... i think i pulled off a pretty good impersonation =)

and i may have to buy this game if he is the cover guy for it, just for that nostalgic feeling in the pit of my stomach... =\

"E"

JBHuskers
06-03-2010, 11:10 AM
ill have to admit... this forum titled "other video games" usually doesnt exist to me since i dont own anything other than the college series... but i will post on this, just b/c of my childhood days of running around on our basketball court at the house pretending i was big mike... although i couldnt jump, was short, way too white, and could shoot fairly well... i think i pulled off a pretty good impersonation =)

and i may have to buy this game if he is the cover guy for it, just for that nostalgic feeling in the pit of my stomach... =\

"E"

Get your money ready then .... he was officially announced yesterday. :)

I OU a Beatn
07-07-2010, 10:07 AM
http://image3.examiner.com/images/blog/replicate/EXID28759/slideshows/NBA2K11_PS3_wAmary_FoB.JPG

JBHuskers
07-07-2010, 10:10 AM
The tongue on the cover scares me.

Flav
07-07-2010, 11:53 AM
http://www.pastapadre.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/nba2k11cover.jpg

morsdraconis
07-07-2010, 01:44 PM
Wow, what a wasted cover choice...

Kingpin32
07-07-2010, 02:16 PM
Thats a ugly cover. I hope the gameplay is a whole lot better than last year, or else I won't be getting this one.

I OU a Beatn
07-07-2010, 10:52 PM
I like it. I think the 360 version is ugly as hell, though. What were they thinking with the case redesign for 360 games? It's ugly as shit.

cdj
07-22-2010, 08:20 AM
Video game players finally get their shot to "be like Mike." (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2010/07/nba-2k11-issues-the-jordan-challenge/1)

http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/game-hunters/2010/07/21/jordan2x-large.jpg

Pro basketball simulation NBA 2K11 will feature a new game mode where players can relive legendary moments from the career of Michael Jordan.

The Jordan Challenge will focus on 10 games from the Chicago Bulls legend's playing days. Each game will include a series of statistical goals players must complete as his Airness.

"(Players) will get a chance to feel how hard it was to actually achieve what he did," says Jason Argent, vice president of marketing for game publisher 2K Sports.

http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/game-hunters/2010/07/21/jordanx-large.jpg

Gamers will not only control Jordan, but some of the classic Bulls teams of the '80s and '90s. The games have been recreated to authentically mirror the appearance of arenas and players from that era.

Among the Jordan highlights featured:

-- 1990 vs. Cleveland Cavaliers. Jordan scored a career high 69 points in an 117-113 overtime win.

-- 1992 NBA Finals. In Game 1 against the Portland Trail Blazers, Jordan scored 35 points in the first half, draining a record six 3-pointers.

-- 1997 NBA Finals. Battling a stomach virus, Jordan scored 38 points in a pivotal Game 5 victory against the Utah Jazz.

Argent says additional features integrating Jordan will be revealed closer to the game's release. NBA 2K11, which also features Jordan as the cover star, hits stores on October 5 for multiple platforms.

skipwondah33
07-22-2010, 08:26 AM
I've always hated 2K's player models, I know its a WIP but looks to me like Jordan added a few pounds. His shoulders look like Lebron's

They pretty much nailed it with his face.

cdj
07-22-2010, 08:27 AM
I thought the same thing, Skip. Is that Kukoc & Russell in the backdrop of the second pic? Kukoc looks buff with a beer belly.

The mode sounds cool, but I hope there's more variety than just putting up huge point totals.

skipwondah33
07-22-2010, 09:01 AM
I thought the same thing, Skip. Is that Kukoc & Russell in the backdrop of the second pic? Kukoc looks buff with a beer belly.

The mode sounds cool, but I hope there's more variety than just putting up huge point totals.

Its either Kukoc or Longley, either way he looks abnormally buff. May be Russell or Eisley.

Yeah I feel the same way, otherwise its not much to that mode really

cdj
07-22-2010, 10:54 AM
Full list of the Jordan Challenges:

1. The Arrival
When: April 20, 1986. Game 2, 1st round playoffs vs. Celtics
Goal 1: Score 63+ points
Goal 2: Shoot 50%+ from the field
One-liner: Jordan made his mark with this 63 point playoff game against a heavily favored Celtics team.

2. 69 Points
When: March 28, 1990. Regular season game vs. Cavs
Goal 1: Score 69+ points
Goal 2: Shoot 50%+ from the field
Goal 3: Win the game
One-liner: This time Jordan gets the win by dropping 69 points and putting a dent in the Cavaliers’ playoff plans.

3. Shootout
When: Any date in 1990. Regular season game vs. Hawks
Goal 1: Outscore Dominique
Goal 2: Hold Dominique under 25 Points
One-liner: Jordan and Dominique Wilkins face off in some of the all-time greatest scoring performances of the era.

4. Bad Boys
When: May 26, 1990. Game 3, Eastern Conference Finals vs. Pistons
Goal 1: Score 47+ points
Goal 2: Win the game
One-liner: Jordan showed the Pistons and the world that no defensive strategy could stop him for long.

5. 1991 NBA Finals
When: June 2 thru June 12, 1991 vs. Lakers
Goal 1: Average 31.0+ points
Goal 2: Shoot 55%+ from the field
Goal 3: Win the series
One-liner: Jordan silenced the doubters by coming back from a game one embarrassment to thrash the Lakers in these Finals.

6. The Shrug
When: June 3, 1992. Game 1, 1st round playoffs vs. Blazers
Goal 1: Score 35+ points in the first half
Goal 2: Make 6+ threes in the first half make 6+ threes in the 1st half
Goal 2: Hold Drexler to under 20 points
Goal 3: Win the Game
One-liner: Just to prove a point, Jordan sets the tone for the series by dominating the first half of this first Finals game.

7. Double Nickel
When: March 18, 1995. Regular season game vs. Knicks
Goal 1: Score 55+ points
Goal 2: Shoot 55%+ from the field
One-liner: After a stint with the bat, Jordan returns to New York to tear up the Knicks for 55 points and an unforgettable pass.

8. Father’s Day Victory
When: June 16, 1996. Game 6, 1996 Finals (last game of series as Bulls won 4-2) vs. Sonics
Goal 1: Score 22+ points
Goal 2: Grab 9+ rebounds
One-liner: Michael ran the table over the entire league but this fourth title would prove to be just as special as his first.

9. The Flu Game
When: June 11, 1997. Game 6, 1997 Finals (not the last game of the series as it went to 7) vs. Jazz
Goal 1: Score 38+ points
Goal 2: Grab 7+ rebounds
One-liner: A very ill Jordan still manages to both dominate the game and hit the winning shot in the last seconds of the game.

10. Michael’s Last Dance
When: June 14, 1998. Game 6, 1998 Finals vs. Jazz
Goal 1: Score 45+ points
Goal 2: Get 4+ steals
One-liner: With one final resounding shot, Jordan seals both his legacy and the fate of the Jazz’s championship hopes.

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/firstcuts/entry/view/72277/2k_sports_issues_the_jordan_challenge;_play_with_1 0_versions_of_michael_jordan#ixzz0uQXJxu8s

skipwondah33
07-22-2010, 12:10 PM
Just reading about those games gives me chills because I can remember watching them (except in the 80's).

cdj
07-29-2010, 09:57 PM
NBA 2K11 Preview & Screens from IGN (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/110/1109517p1.html)

morsdraconis
07-29-2010, 10:30 PM
Interesting preview. I've never been one to get into all the crazy moves and stuff that people can do but I think the most important thing is whether or not all of those moves that you can do can also be defended. When the game purposely moves you player out of the way when the person with the ball does a fake or something, you have some serious defensive meltdowns that cause the game to not be fun.

cdj
08-08-2010, 03:48 PM
Here's a pretty lengthy blog from Mike Wang (http://community.2ksports.com/community/insights/index.cfm?aid=2796112&l=11) on some changes coming to 2K11.

cdj
08-11-2010, 02:16 PM
Sounds like a pretty cool feature, not sure I like that it has to be 'unlocked' at first though.

2K announces MJ: Creating a Legend mode

What if Portland drafted Michael Jordan instead of Sam Bowie? It's the question that has been keeping Blazer fans up at night for decades, but "NBA 2K11" is finally going to let you see what life is like with His Airness in the City of Roses. In fact, any NBA fan who ever dreamed of Being Like Mike, or at least having Air Jordan leading their franchise to a title is sure to be intrigued by the game's new MJ: Creating a Legend mode.

"This is a brand new experience that we're delivering to our users this year, and it's a mode that's not immediately available when you purchase the game," explains "NBA 2K11" producer Erick Boenisch.

Gamers will first need to complete all ten of the classic match-ups in "2K11's" Jordan Challenge by recreating moments like the night MJ dropped 69 on the Cavs or reliving his rivalry against the Bad Boys of Detroit.

Then once The Jordan Challenge is beat in its entirety, the single-player, offline-only Creating a Legend mode unlocks.

"The idea behind MJ: Creating a Legend is that you're going to step into today's NBA with a rookie Michael Jordan," says Boenisch. "He is rated a 79 overall, which gives you plenty of room to improve, but he has all of the physical tools of Michael as a rookie -- the fast speed, the high jumping, the quickness -- but he lacks a lot of the shooting skills and the offensive and defensive awareness. So you're playing with a raw prospect who can do just about anything, but can't deliver in the clutch just yet.

Rest of story (http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/videogames/blog/_/name/thegamer/id/5455549/creating-legend-mode?readmore=fullstory)

Rookie MJ:
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0811/vg_jordan_1_200.jpg

morsdraconis
08-11-2010, 03:51 PM
Is that seriously what 2K's Be A Pro thing is going to be now? :(

That's really crappy... I don't wanna play as Jordan...

cdj
08-13-2010, 04:17 PM
Trailer for the game (http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/64504/nba-2k11/videos/nba2k11_trl_dev_premiere_trailer_81210.html), shows off a lot of former players & teams in the game

cdj
08-13-2010, 06:55 PM
The FLU game:
http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/111/1112344/nba-2k11-20100813024125887-000.jpg

Jayrah
08-13-2010, 10:09 PM
"Oh, and the cheerleaders have seen a visual upgrade as well. I'm not kidding; the Lakers girls actually did look quite nice."

LOL hahahahahahhahahaha, awesome!

Jayrah
08-13-2010, 10:17 PM
Trailer for the game (http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/64504/nba-2k11/videos/nba2k11_trl_dev_premiere_trailer_81210.html), shows off a lot of former players & teams in the game

OH MY GOD!!!!!! That is the sickest thing I've ever seen from a game trailer! Those dunks were fantastic! I have always loved 2k basketball, and I think it just got better! ..... Just watched it again! Oh man. I'm pumped for Oct 5! Whew!

Jayrah
08-13-2010, 10:19 PM

Wait....What? :dunno: Everybody wants to play as Jordan. :nod: Who are you that you wouldn't want to play as Jordan? :D JK

But.....Seriously?!

gschwendt
08-13-2010, 11:26 PM
I have to say, that's the era of the NBA that I enjoyed... Jordan, Malone, Stockton, Drexler, Kemp, Payton, ending careers of Bird & Johnson, etc. I haven't followed the NBA much at all since Jordan's first retirement.

morsdraconis
08-14-2010, 10:03 AM
Wait....What? :dunno: Everybody wants to play as Jordan. :nod: Who are you that you wouldn't want to play as Jordan? :D JK

But.....Seriously?!

I don't think a video game of that would be very fun. Fun to watch? Abso-fuckin'-lutely! But I don't think it would be fun to play. It may be though. We'll find out.

cdj
08-14-2010, 10:30 AM

I think the regular created player mode is back in. Didn't they confirm that the Draft Combine game would be on disc as compared to pre-launch DLC like last year?

morsdraconis
08-16-2010, 01:40 PM
I think the regular created player mode is back in. Didn't they confirm that the Draft Combine game would be on disc as compared to pre-launch DLC like last year?

I really hope so cause I'd much rather do that. Starting from scratch was fun (albeit VERY difficult). Starting with Jordan would be like cheating and getting a bunch of stats to start out with. I can't be very difficult to just start as rookie Jordan since he was probably one of the best players coming out of college, much less a few years down the road.

JBHuskers
08-16-2010, 02:35 PM
NBA 2K11 devs drop 'approximately 30 positions' (http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/16/nba-2k11-devs-drop-approximately-30-positions/)

From Joystiq:

Take-Two Interactive sports game developer Visual Concepts recently let go of 30 employees, according to a statement issued by the publisher. VP of corporate communications and public affairs at Take-Two Alan Lewis told Industry Gamers, "In order to properly align its resources with its current and future goals, and to continue to develop games as efficiently as possible, 2K Sports has eliminated approximately 30 positions at its Visual Concepts studio." When contacted by Joystiq, Take-Two refused to provide further information.

The next game due from Visual Concepts is NBA 2K11 on October 5, which is said to be unaffected by the layoffs. "These reductions will not affect 2K Sports' ability to create and deliver AAA titles, including its upcoming release of NBA 2K11," the statement from Take-Two claims. As always, we wish those affected the best in the future.

cdj
08-16-2010, 04:43 PM
People are speculating (and it makes sense) that the cuts mean the end of the NHL 2K, which was a Wii title only this year anyways, and may also be from MLB 2K. Pastapadre states that MLB 2K10 lost $35-40M this year, which is almost unbelievable.

JBHuskers
08-16-2010, 06:41 PM
People are speculating (and it makes sense) that the cuts mean the end of the NHL 2K, which was a Wii title only this year anyways, and may also be from MLB 2K. Pastapadre states that MLB 2K10 lost $35-40M this year, which is almost unbelievable.

Maybe EA can pick up the MLB license then. I had a LOT of fun with the college baseball games. Once they got away from Triple Play, they started to make strides.

cdj
08-17-2010, 01:39 PM
Courtesy Operation Sports (http://www.operationsports.com/newspost.php?id=436730):

It has been confirmed that all NBA 2K11 online games (http://www.2ksports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3244506&postcount=202), including ranked, will be set on the simulation gamestyle.

If you've kept up with the NBA 2K11 Developer Insights (http://community.2ksports.com/community/insights/) at 2K Sports, you'd know that they are offering a new feature called "Gamestyles" (http://www.operationsports.com/newspost.php?id=433285). Gamestyles are preset settings that cater to the specific slider. This was also a great feature in NHL 2K8, and it's nice that Visual Concepts is finally adding it to NBA 2K11.

This goes far beyond just selecting a difficulty level like in past NBA 2K's. The simulation gamestyle is a set of dedicated settings that should reflect a realistic game. For instance, the Insight pointed out that it should be nearly impossible to abuse the baseline when using the simulation gamestyle.

cdj
08-17-2010, 04:31 PM
A new blog on creating MJ in the game. (http://community.2ksports.com/community/insights/)

I OU a Beatn
08-17-2010, 06:38 PM
This might not turn out to be half bad. I thought 2k10 was brutally bad judging from the demo, so I'm approaching the one cautiously. The fact that is has Jordan on the cover alone almost makes it a worthy purchase.

Papa LoneStar
08-17-2010, 11:49 PM
CAN NOT wait!

Jayrah
08-17-2010, 11:53 PM
This might not turn out to be half bad. I thought 2k10 was brutally bad judging from the demo, so I'm approaching the one cautiously. The fact that is has Jordan on the cover alone almost makes it a worthy purchase.

:) I actually enjoyed the 2k10 game, I play it still and have a lot of fun with it. 2k11 is going to go above and beyond as far as gameplay from their previous titles though looks like. I'm hoping the stadiums are updated, and the crowd is better. At times I was really hoping the crowd would get pumped up and it wouldn't happen. It does affect your mood as you play. I didn't get a chance at live because of $$$ restrictions, but the progressive crowd throughout games and season's was something that SUPER-INTERESTED me. However the overall presentation of progressive announcing and stat overlays/pregame presentation etc. was worth the 2k10 purchase. It just keeps you involved all the time. If Jordan is in AND I can get my Sonics back on the court in place of the god opposed, OKC Thunder, 2K11 will ROCK MY SOCKS regardless!

cdj
08-29-2010, 11:13 PM
Here's a link to a video showing off the controls in 2K11: http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/27/nba-2k11-trailer-shows-us-how-to-be-proper-ballers/

cdj
08-30-2010, 04:52 PM
A new blog at ESPN Video Games on Jordan in 2K11 (http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/videogames/blog/_/name/thegamer/id/5513054/play-mike?readmore=fullstory). It sounds pretty impressive:

Play Like Mike

Has dunking the ball in a video game lost its luster? We've all probably done it millions of times by now. Just another move. But when I dunk the ball as Michael Jordan in "NBA 2K11", tongue out as he throws down a tomahawk jam over Patrick Ewing, knocking the Knicks star to the ground as I watch MJ swing on the rim, I can't wipe the smile off my face. The shine is back.

Next time down the floor, I pass the ball to Michael and as I pump fake, he holds the ball up with one hand in John Starks' face. Starks takes a swipe at the rock then is left looking like a fool as MJ drives baseline for the reverse. Magic.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0830/vg_jordan_2_200.jpg
2K Sports has done an awesome job capturing MJ's moves.

Playing as the old-school Bulls, I battled everyone from the Bad Boys in Detroit to Bird, Ainge, McHale, and Parish on the Celtics. I got dunked on by Shawn Kemp, swatted Isiah's jumper, and was roughed up by the Pistons D.

As a basketball fan (or more accurately, a self-diagnosed hoops nut), these moments are amazing and really make "NBA 2K11" a must-own. I played the game for a couple of hours, first playing the classic match-ups in The Jordan Challenge, then drafting Michael to the Heat in MJ: Creating a Legend mode (MJ, LeBron, and Wade ... oh my!), and I have to say, I haven't had this much fun playing a basketball game in years.

Highlights of my virtual time with Mike include:

Went up for a right-handed dunk and switched mid-air to the left-handed layup that MJ made famous against the Lakers.
Scottie Pippen actually helps MJ off the court after his famous flu game.
Patrick Ewing threw down some nasty dunks for the Knicks, and Starks caught fire for four three-pointers in a row (where's Reggie Miller when you need him?).
The roster of historic players is deeper than I initially thought as 2K went out and got just about every big-name player (and the not-so-big names) into the game.
Disappointing that the Bulls/Suns match-up isn't in the Jordan Challenge, but Barkley is one of the few players that didn't want to be in the game (what, is he still bitter about "Shut Up and Jam"?).
With all the talk about Michael, don't forget about Dominique Wilkins being in the game. The Human Highlight Film is a player meant for video games, and in "2K11" some of the dunks he throws down are just sick.
Nine of the Jordan Challenges are single-game events, but one challenge actually has you play every game of the 1991 NBA Finals against Magic Johnson and the Lakers.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0830/vg_jordan_1_200.jpg
2K Sports
Air Jordan is back thanks to "NBA 2K11".

Flu game is handled in "2K11" by decreasing Michael's stamina rating.
Funny to see the evolution of Dennis Rodman as he first appears on the Pistons with no tats and no colored hair. Then you see him on the Bulls and it's a much different story (although still a great player).
Commentary is time-specific, so when you play in the NBA Finals against the Lakers, the announcers will talk about how Los Angeles played against the Blazers earlier in the playoffs.
Alley-oop controls changed to LT+B this year (was LT+A) to help avoid accidental tosses while running with turbo and simply trying to pass.
When you play against the Jazz, get ready for Pick and Roll 101. Stockton and Malone will simply take you to school with this move.
Jordan Challenge controls are just like any game, where you control the entire team, but MJ: Creating a Legend mode is more like My Player where you are locked on Jordan for the entire game. That means when MJ is sent to the bench, you watch the game while riding pine.
Jordan Challenge quarter length is 8 minutes.
Michael's calf sleeve is a new accessory in the game.
Classic teams are all available to play as in Exhibition games right out of the box. You don't need to beat them in Jordan Challenge in order to play as them.
"NBA 2K11" features team specific plays for every team in the game, including the classic squads. The count is up to 800 actual plays that the real NBA teams run, including specific plays for certain stars on each team.
There are NBA-approved hard fouls in the game. No fighting, but players will get dragged down as the defender tries to prevent you from getting your shot off.
The short shorts in the game crack me up. Can't believe that was the style.
I can't remember a character in a sports video game whose likeness has been better captured than MJ in "2K11". From his shoes to his signature animations, if you saw Mike do it in real life, you're going to see him do it in the game, and I'm loving every minute of it so far.

skipwondah33
08-30-2010, 05:27 PM
Wow I know the XI's have been in the Live series before but those look absolutely beautiful in the game

morsdraconis
08-30-2010, 05:41 PM
Wow, I didn't realize there were going to be so many past teams. That's AWESOME! Definitely going to get this game just for that if nothing else (though the MJ challenge thing is starting to sound more and more awesome as well).

WhoIsDo
08-30-2010, 07:58 PM
This game just keeps looking better and better, wow. I just want to use Pippen, forget Jordan. :P

JeffHCross
08-31-2010, 08:18 AM
Per Pasta: NBA 2k11 'My Player' mode will now have Post-Game Press Conferences (http://www.pastapadre.com/2010/08/30/nba-2k11-my-player-adds-press-conferences)

Now, this might not be a big deal to any of you (honestly, it isn't really a big deal to me). However ... not more than a month ago I was thinking about ways EA could spice up Dynasty Mode and turn it into a NFL Head Coach-style coach mode. One thing I thought of is post-game press conferences, where your answers influence your Fan Base ratings, HFA, and maybe your Coach Prestige. You could also do some interesting playing up of your opponent, a la Lou Holtz.

Pretty cool to see 2k adding something that's slightly outside the box to their Career mode. 2k's consistently had the best feature sets, I think, in sports games. It's the polish that's often lacking from their titles (and, per the previous discussion, that's one reason MLB 2k lost so much money this year).

morsdraconis
08-31-2010, 12:01 PM
Very interesting.

cdj
08-31-2010, 04:11 PM
The latest My Player feature:

If you're gonna Become The Greatest, you gotta have your own signature shoe. Dominate in this year's version of My Player mode and you'll see your customized kicks on the feet of other guys in the league. What's your signature shoe gonna be called?

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs160.ash2/41352_10150270379205305_221292025304_14323335_3722 001_n.jpg

JBHuskers
08-31-2010, 06:24 PM
Very nice....I can see myself getting this for cheaper down the road.

cdj
09-03-2010, 07:22 AM
More from My Player:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doG1i_IYP84&feature=sub

morsdraconis
09-03-2010, 10:56 AM
More from My Player:

That's pretty damn cool. Taking the shitty stuff that they do in Madden's Superstar Mode and REALLY stepping it up to the next level. That's some good stuff. More and more, this game looks like the winner to me. I don't even care that the game looks the same. I just hope they fix the warping of defenders in the paint. That shit basically makes playing 2k10 impossible for me because of how bad it is.

JeffHCross
09-03-2010, 10:37 PM
I like the Press Conference, though that video was just weird. Blurring out the other players on the podium ... why the hell did they bother to do that?

Again, though, 2k's looking like it just lacks polish. The press conference feature is cool, but the audio is decent in most parts but dreadful in others, and the entire presentation looks boring. Maybe if the player was more zoomed in or there was some stuff going on ... it just looks boring. And like the old Greg Gumbel presentation in College Hoops, the lip-syncing is okay at best.

It is pretty much exactly what I was envisioning for an NCAA Head Coach mode though ... Fan Support, Team Loyalty and Leauge-Wide Popularity being affected by what the player says on the mic. Very good design.

cdj
09-03-2010, 10:47 PM
They said mid-week they had a video they wanted to post but were waiting for NBA approval. Maybe the NBA asked for them to be blurred out? Their blog says they will not be blurred out when actually playing the game.

I can't find any real info on it, but in My Player mode the better you perform, you will appear on magazine covers.

morsdraconis
09-04-2010, 10:31 PM
Again, though, 2k's looking like it just lacks polish. The press conference feature is cool, but the audio is decent in most parts but dreadful in others, and the entire presentation looks boring. Maybe if the player was more zoomed in or there was some stuff going on ... it just looks boring. And like the old Greg Gumbel presentation in College Hoops, the lip-syncing is okay at best.

This is definitely where I differ from most people (or at least, for sports games) but the presentation seriously doesn't matter to me at all.

NCAA football for example - I couldn't have cared any less about team entrances/special shows/etc

If I want to feel like I'm watching football, I'm going to watch it. I want to play a game and if you're forcing me to watch all these cut scenes and crap every 20 seconds (looking at you again 2k), I get really annoyed by that shit. Great for the people that want it, but PLEASE make it able to be skipped or something for god's sake.

JeffHCross
09-05-2010, 12:45 AM
For most presentation aspects (i.e. the ESPN branding in NCAA this year), I agree with you mors.

But I've seen feature upon feature from 2k that shows they're taking a risk ... but it always lacks polish. The March Madness Selection Show and CBS Weekend Updates were two examples of this dating back to the CH series.

2k, as a whole, just lacks polish. So much that it's become a sticking point for me with their games. Injury bugs that only affect the user team (and pretty much break franchise mode) and other little things here and there.

Overall, I don't particularly care about the quality of their press conference mode. But if they're going to play it up like a big deal (and a 2.5 minute trailer devoted to it implies that) ... I'm unimpressed by the polish.

Rudy
09-05-2010, 12:02 PM
I love presentation. I used to love 2K5's weekly wrap up show. It would be awesome to see that in any video game again and it would be great if the NCAA team did that for any Top 25 matchup. Show fake video highlights and tie them in to the stat engine. They used to hide how many replays they had by showing them in multiple camera angles but I loved it. Got a PS2 HDD just to have video highlights.

JeffHCross
09-05-2010, 01:21 PM
I always laughed at the old College Hoops highlights. Even when you played a game, the highlights would be generated by the sim engine, so you'd be viewing highlights that had never occurred in the game you just played.

I OU a Beatn
09-08-2010, 01:55 PM
PS3 version >>>>> 360 version:

Hi guys! Ronnie here from 2K Sports. I am the Community Manager here and the point person for our fans. Have feedback on a feature for NBA 2K11? Want to get an idea in the game? You have my ear and can always reach me on Twitter. Drop me a line anytime!

You probably remember me from my PlayStation.Blog posts on NBA 2K10 last year. This year, we decided to blow all the doors off and introduce MICHAEL JORDAN to the 2K Sports family as the cover athlete for NBA 2K11 (in stores everywhere 10/5/2010). Like most of you basketball fans, Michael Jordan is my idol and synonymous with basketball greatness. You can read about how you will get the chance to relive his career in 10 of his most iconic games in The Jordan Challenge.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4110/4969264597_c62c8c6042.jpg

In MJ: Creating a Legend, you can put Michael Jordan on any modern team you want! Kobe and MJ on the Lakers? Teaming him with Wade and LeBron on the Heat? Putting him on the current Bulls with my buddy Derrick Rose? You can build his abilities (the killer instinct that came later in his career over his always brilliant athletic ability) as well as the chemistry with that team in this mode.

But NBA 2K11 also has an exclusive PS3-related feature and that is, of course, the use of the PlayStation Move motion controller. Recently, I got the chance to interview one of our engineers, Mark Horsley, to provide some exclusive info to those that follow the PlayStation Blog. Mark was influential in getting this feature to be a thing of beauty for the game and in no other game is PlayStation Move as fitting. After Mark gives you some background on the use of PlayStation Move, I will share some other features to be unveiled in NBA 2K11. So without further ado, here are highlights from our conversation:

Slam Dunk Contest with PlayStation Move

Mark Horsley, Gameplay Engineer, NBA 2K11: It was critical for us to showcase the full range of abilities of the PlayStation Move motion controller, so we started with the Slam Dunk Contest. The dunk contest input interface was significantly revamped for PlayStation Move, allowing the ability to pull off dunks much easier than in years past. When you get your hands on this mode with the PlayStation Move, start by pulling and holding the T button to pick up a ball from the ball rack. As your player runs towards the basket, start the gestures for the dunk you wish to perform. For analog-stick-based controllers, the input is done by twirling the stick. The stick commands translated naturally to gestures using the Move controller. A counter-clockwise circle on the stick translates to moving your hand in a counter-clockwise circle, and similarly translates for other commands. By completing a gesture while running towards the basket, and then quickly completing another gesture prior to takeoff, you choose which dunk you wish to perform. To complete the dunk, simply release the T button to time the release of the ball. Props are placed on the court by pressing the Triangle button on the Move controller, just like in years past with the standard controllers.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4129/4969876288_35fd1657e2.jpg

Gameplay with PlayStation Move

For regular gameplay, we started with the single most important aspect in basketball: shooting. Our goal was for fast, responsive shooting, with no lag. All of the different types of jumps are in there: drifters, leaners, and fade-aways. Based on how your player is moving, simply flick the PlayStation Move motion controller up and you’ll spot up and shoot the appropriate jump shot. Similar controls are done for dunks and layups. Running towards the basket while holding the T button results in a dunk, as opposed to a layup if the T button isn’t pulled. Unlike the analog-stick-based controllers, you get flashy or power moves based on what is happening. Kobe running free on a breakaway? Pull up on the Move controller and witness an amazing flashy dunk. Garnett in the paint? Flick the PlayStation Move motion controller up and unleash a crushing dunk.

Here is the breakdown in more detail:

With the T button pulled, flick the PlayStation Move…

* Up = Smart Dunk
* Right = Power Dunk
* Left = Flashy Dunk
* Down = Reverse Dunk

Without pulling the T button, flick the PlayStation Move…

* Up = Smart Layup
* Right = Hop Step Layup Right
* Left = Hop Step Layup Left
* Down = Spin Layup

For Passing, we wanted to make sure the gesture was as intuitive as possible for the sophistication of the PlayStation Move motion controller. Pressing the large Move button, in conjunction with pressing the left stick in the direction of the intended receiver, will result in a quick pass. Holding both L2 and the T button while passing will throw a devastating alley-oop pass. You will find that passing is quick and accurate with this method.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4130/4969382401_795e4804f3.jpg

Dribbling using the PlayStation Move falls into two categories: standing and moving. Holding the L2 button, flick the PlayStation Move to perform many different dribble moves to blow past a defender. If standing, you will receive a variety of Sizeup moves, based on the direction of the motion. If dribbling, here is breakdown:

While dribbling towards the basket, hold L2 and Flick the PlayStation Move…

* Up = Behind-the-back dribble move
* Right = Crossover if ball is in right hand, an In-n-Out Move if ball is in left hand
* Left = Crossover if ball is in left hand, an In-n-Out Move if ball is in right hand
* Down = Stepback

Successful defense relies on quick, decisive action, and so the PlayStation Move defensive controls were designed for quick, simple motions. Flick the PlayStation Move up for a block; flick it right or left for a steal. Player swap is an important aspect of defense, and the Move button is perfectly positioned for this. Setting a pick is assigned to the Circle button: it’s easy to access but not something that you’ll press by accident, making it perfect for picks.

I want to thank Mark Horsley for taking the time out of an insane amount of game engineering to give us insight on how to get the most out of using the PlayStation Move motion controller. I gave it a whirl last week and I had a great time playing with PlayStation Move. It worked smoothly and seemed to do whatever I wanted it to in the game.

Now I do want to mention a few other features that are making waves in the gaming industry. I discussed the use of Michael Jordan in our game at the beginning of the blog and there are many features (a few still undiscussed) that will be a great showcase for the world’s best player. In the meantime, here are some other things to look out for when the game hits stores October 5th (make sure to click the links for even more information):

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4108/4969876214_018be26ca3.jpg

My Career Mode – Live the entire life of an NBA star. Get drafted into the NBA, fight for a roster spot, work to get minutes, fit into the team, and emerge as a starter, perhaps even a player that will go down as one of the greats. This year, however, your accolades go beyond the court. Participate in Press Conferences, sign Endorsements, be on the cover of magazines, and create Signature Shoes that can be worn as kicks by other players in the league.

Historic Chicago Bulls Teams – Ever wondered how the Lakers of today might fare against the Michael Jordan led Chicago Bulls? Get the chance to play as some of the greatest teams in NBA history like the 1985-86, 1989-90, 1990-91, 1991-92, 1994-95, 1995-96, 1996-97, and 1997-98 Chicago Bulls squads. These teams along with several other historic teams, are put at your fingertips in Quick Game mode.

ALL-NEW IsoMotion Dribbling Controls and Shot Control – Delivering the most realistic feeling and reacting dribbling system to date with seamless transitions between ankle breaking moves coupled with an all-new gesturing system allows users to intuitively translate thought to motion and dominate, like Michael Jordan, from the perimeter to the paint. Take your offensive game to the next level with an unprecedented amount of control via the enhanced Shot Stick. Dozens of new shot types, from layups to jumpshots to dunks and everything in between, are completely under the user’s control with the flick of a stick. The new Shot Branching system also allows the adjustment of shots on the fly in mid-air.

Look for more news soon about great enhancements coming to other core features like Online Mode, Blacktop, Association mode, as well as one of my favorite modes from last year, NBA Today. In this mode, audio was given context to real-world NBA happenings. All of these features packed along with the NBA 2K realistic simulation that you all love.

Well, I have probably gone on way past my time! I want to thank the people at PlayStation for giving me this time to tell you about NBA 2K11. Let me remind you to follow us on Facebook to see what’s the most new and exclusive info on the NBA 2K Franchise. As an added treat for you Sony fans, I would like to announce that the demo release date will be announced on the FB page tomorrow! So look forward to that! Until then, feel free to drop me a line below or on Twitter and I’ll do my best to get back to you ASAP. Thanks for reading!

Playstation Blog (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/09/08/nba-2k11-ps3-playstation-move/#more-35849)

This game looks absolutely sick. Can not wait to get my hands on it.

morsdraconis
09-09-2010, 11:05 PM
I just don't see how Elite is going to compete with this stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWeOUzZagf0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkXrWrbLVjo

morsdraconis
09-09-2010, 11:19 PM
And now it's just been confirmed that there's going to be a halftime show:

http://www.operationsports.com/newspost.php?id=442173

2K Sports just confirmed NBA 2K11 (http://twitter.com/2KSports/status/24061093597) will feature a half-time show presented by Damon Bruce.

http://media.operationsports.com/shots/400/11495.jpg

"Shout-out to our Half-Time Show presented by awesome @KNBR Host @DamonBruce. You'll see a great halftime presentation next week."

Who is Damon Bruce (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damon_Bruce)?

"Damon Bruce is the host of San Francisco-based KNBR's "The Damon Bruce Show", on KNBR 1050, broadcast live from KNBR's downtown studio. The show airs from 12-noon to 4:00pm, M-F on KNBR 1050. Pacific Time.

Bruce joined KNBR in October 2005 as the host of, Sportsphone 680. Along with his hosting duties on Sportsphone 680, Damon Bruce also served as the post-game host of the San Francisco Giants, San Francisco 49ers and the Golden State Warriors. It is believed Damon will continue to host 49ers post-game even though he's departed Sportsphone 680 for his own midday show."

I OU a Beatn
09-10-2010, 12:16 AM
I just don't see how Elite is going to compete with this stuff:

Easy: they're not.

Kingpin32
09-10-2010, 12:22 AM
I think I've been resold on 2K now. I wasn't just "amped" about it, but I think now I'll be getting it sooner than later.

morsdraconis
09-10-2010, 11:11 AM
2K11 Demo Set for September 14th - (Lakers vs Celtics) one 5 minute quarter
(http://www.operationsports.com/newspost.php?id=442041)

JeffHCross
09-11-2010, 07:41 PM
2k is definitely the king of features this year. They're going all out on the 2k11 title.

morsdraconis
09-11-2010, 10:08 PM
2k is definitely the king of features this year. They're going all out on the 2k11 title.

Kinda has me worried about how well done these features are going to be...

cdj
09-11-2010, 10:37 PM

They definitely won't get ripped for not adding in features, that's for sure. mors does bring up a good point - hopefully they didn't bite off more than they can chew. Though, my guess is that most of the scrutiny will be on online play. For some reason, EA, 2K, & Sony seem to have troubles as it relates to online connectivity and play in their sports titles; more so than the average next-gen game. Get that up to speed and people will be really happy.

JeffHCross
09-11-2010, 10:49 PM
Well, I've made it clear in my previous posts that I find that 2k always has rich feature sets but lack the polish (meaning bugs and incomplete-ness) of other titles. I am confident that NBA won't suffer the same as some of my other 2k buys have, but I also wouldn't be surprised if some game-killing problems were found early.

The worst part of my 2k experience in the past is that they're never game-killers that stop gameplay or your can house rule around. It's things like the User team having excessive day-to-day injuries that require changing your starting lineup between every game ... things that are just too annoying to deal with.

It'll be interesting to see if they covered themselves admirably on NBA 2k11. In terms of feature set, it's certainly a contender for SGotY. Whether or not they reach that level will be determined by how well those new features were done.

Rudy
09-14-2010, 06:20 AM
People on OS are loving the demo which is out today (later today for PS3). Game looks sweet enough to even get me to buy it I think. Will check out the demo later. I think this game is going to destroy Elite. EA may just give up on basketball entirely if the sales are garbage. So many people are pissed with the direction they are going and NBA 2K11 is looking better than ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buSoB7ZrXCg

cdj
09-14-2010, 07:43 AM
More gameplay video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a06U1BfIgGM&feature=player_embedded

I OU a Beatn
09-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Demo out on 360. Feels a lot like NBA '10 to be perfectly honest. Still controls way too stiffly for a basketball game. Hopefully that's resolved in the retail release. They also need to do something about the ability to pull of moves with the ball. It's way too clunky to do it with the current system.

Rudy
09-16-2010, 05:31 AM
I played one game last night finally. Why does 2K cheap out and not include commentary in their demo? They had commentary in the MLB 2K9 demo (one of the strong points of the title) and then removed it from MLB 2K10. They don't have any commentary in NBA 2K11 either. I find it very boring to play like that. I'm big on presentation.

As for the game, I was lost on the controls. I didn't know how to icon pass, how to dunk with the r-stick and I couldn't figure out how to post up. Isn't it L2 and R2 from what I read? I guess when you haven't played a 2K basketball game in 5 years you need more time lol. I'll have to play some more. Could be a Christmas gift.

Papa LoneStar
09-16-2010, 08:04 AM
I heard commentary when I played last night.

Rudy
09-16-2010, 09:33 AM
Seriously? Are you talking about the PA announcer or the actual play by play team?

Papa LoneStar
09-16-2010, 10:29 AM
Oh....nevermind....I'm trippin'....I watched a gameplay video yesterday afternoon....went to work....and played the demo for the first time last night. Sorry about that....

morsdraconis
09-16-2010, 01:46 PM
Demo is fun, but I just want the real game. Demo isn't going to help me any.

Papa LoneStar
09-16-2010, 01:56 PM
Last year....I played more My Player more than I played regular games. I see the same thing this year along with the Jordan Challenges/Jordan "My Player."

morsdraconis
09-16-2010, 02:25 PM
Last year....I played more My Player more than I played regular games. I see the same thing this year along with the Jordan Challenges/Jordan "My Player."

Same here though play calls actually meaning something has me really excited.

skipwondah33
09-18-2010, 12:40 AM
I have to admit, after not really being a fan of 2K I'm really enjoying the demo. Still don't care for their player models or the funny way the jerseys look but the game seems to play great.

I haven't bought a basketball game in 3-4 years but I'm looking to pick this up. Was mostly going to anyway simply because Jordan was going to be on the cover

JeffHCross
09-18-2010, 01:04 AM
I played one game last night finally. Why does 2K cheap out and not include commentary in their demo? They had commentary in the MLB 2K9 demo (one of the strong points of the title) and then removed it from MLB 2K10. They don't have any commentary in NBA 2K11 either. I find it very boring to play like that. I'm big on presentation.If I had to guess, they're trying to reduce the size of the demo. Some titles are developed in such a way that they can't easily cut down on the audio, so it's all or nothing.

Just a guess though.

morsdraconis
09-18-2010, 01:50 AM
If I had to guess, they're trying to reduce the size of the demo. Some titles are developed in such a way that they can't easily cut down on the audio, so it's all or nothing.

Just a guess though.

That would be my guess as well.

I personally don't have a problem with the demo being skimpy. It's a demo after all and you're getting it for completely free. Not sure what more people expect.

Rudy
09-18-2010, 05:21 AM
I think the demo was only 700 MB or something like that. EA always has commentary in their demos and I prefer it that way. I've seen some demos go over 1.5 GB.

morsdraconis
09-18-2010, 10:06 AM
I think the demo was only 700 MB or something like that. EA always has commentary in their demos and I prefer it that way. I've seen some demos go over 1.5 GB.

But why are you worried about presentation in a demo? I mean, NCAA 11's demo had commentary which was COMPLETELY jacked up on the 360 (with repeating shit OVER AND OVER AND OVER again and crap) but it was utterly meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

Demo is to get a feel for the game. Presentation is just the cherry on top. The presentation could be the worst most boring shit ever as long as the gameplay is A+, I don't care.

skipwondah33
09-18-2010, 03:15 PM
That would be my guess as well.

I personally don't have a problem with the demo being skimpy. It's a demo after all and you're getting it for completely free. Not sure what more people expect.

You know us picky gamers, we want demos to play perfectly and have no problems at all. You know it is suppose to make us want to buy the game lol

j/k I know, I prefferably dont mind it all

JeffHCross
09-18-2010, 07:13 PM
I agree that demos should be representative of the final title, and it's pretty foolish for the 2k11 demo to not include commentary.

That said, I'll take a 700 MB demo over a 1.5 GB demo any day.

Rudy
09-19-2010, 04:32 AM
Presentation is just big for me. And I'm not a big basketball guy anymore so I was hoping the demo would suck me in more but it didn't.

MLB 2K10 had a few areas that were better than the Show (and many negatives). One of the best areas of the game is the commentary. For them not to include it made no sense to me. The sales absolutely tanked this year. Plus the demo was out after release on the PS3 although my conspiracy theory Spidey-sense told me that Sony did that intentionally. :)

JeffHCross
09-19-2010, 08:50 AM
Rudy, you may be interested in this gameplay vid that Pasta posted: http://www.pastapadre.com/2010/09/15/nba-2k11-gameplay-vid-with-halftime-show

Halftime show begins at 5:00 mark in the video.

I'm always surprised when I hear commentary that actually knows what a team did last season, or who's in the game. I really shouldn't be surprised (i.e. that should be the norm rather than an exception), but I am.

morsdraconis
09-19-2010, 09:45 AM
Rudy, you may be interested in this gameplay vid that Pasta posted: http://www.pastapadre.com/2010/09/15/nba-2k11-gameplay-vid-with-halftime-show

Halftime show begins at 5:00 mark in the video.

I'm always surprised when I hear commentary that actually knows what a team did last season, or who's in the game. I really shouldn't be surprised (i.e. that should be the norm rather than an exception), but I am.

See, the thing is, 2k's NBA game has been great about that for years (since like 2k8 I think it was) and their commentary is always good (though I don't like it cause it goes on tangents too much with stories about the players that I don't care about and, in general, is just too much crap to listen to when all I want to play is a game of basketball).

The halftime show wasn't much of anything (though apparently it's not ALL of the actual halftime show) and, again, it's something I'm going to just be skipping anyway so whatever.

UGA14
09-19-2010, 10:29 AM
Last year 2k introduced the commentary that is aware and ever-changing. Forgot what they called it but it was in last year's NBA game and was fantastic... It was also in this year's MLB 2k10 game and actually made that game worth playing to me.

cdj
09-19-2010, 11:40 AM
New blog on presentation (http://community.2ksports.com/community/insights/).

JeffHCross
09-19-2010, 02:34 PM
See, the thing is, 2k's NBA game has been great about that for years (since like 2k8 I think it was) and their commentary is always good (though I don't like it cause it goes on tangents too much with stories about the players that I don't care about and, in general, is just too much crap to listen to when all I want to play is a game of basketball).What's interesting to me, though ... is that's actually pretty realistic. NBA commentary goes horribly off-tangent on a regular basis.

morsdraconis
09-19-2010, 04:06 PM
What's interesting to me, though ... is that's actually pretty realistic. NBA commentary goes horribly off-tangent on a regular basis.

Oh, absolutely and it drives me crazy watching a game as well.

JeffHCross
09-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Oh, absolutely and it drives me crazy watching a game as well.Oh, me too. But it's pretty cool that they put that level of detail in that the commentary can go on tangents.

skipwondah33
09-19-2010, 09:40 PM
I mean they have what sounds like a great game. All the details pretty much when I think of what I'd like in a game.

I know I keep mentioning this but just can't get over the horrible facial representations of the players. Kobe looks like a crackhead in the game. The way the jersey's are makes Jordan look chunky lol.

Rudy
09-20-2010, 04:39 AM
I think the graphics are pretty good. I do think the players are too thick in the chest. Kobe almost looks like Karl Malone.

skipwondah33
09-20-2010, 08:30 AM
Yeah the graphics are great, its just the player models. I never did think their player models looked all that great and the bouncing jersey's was nice all for about one year.

cdj
09-20-2010, 08:54 PM
NBA 2K11 joins Madden NFL 11 in featuring White House visit for champs

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs702.snc4/62222_10150285224300305_221292025304_14667149_7713 058_n.jpg

skipwondah33
09-21-2010, 12:01 AM
I love the photo-shop pic of the Clippers with President Obama lol....you know seeing as how they wouldn't win a title

JBHuskers
09-21-2010, 09:47 AM
The trophy looks like a cardboard cut out :D

morsdraconis
09-21-2010, 03:36 PM
Just played the heck out of the demo for a solid hour and half and I gotta say, I'm LOVING 2k11. They seem to have fixed all the major issues I had with the game. The new signature moves (with the Triangle/Y button) are VERY cool (Kobe's are disgusting) but, as always, I have issues with getting some of the more complicated dribble moves to work with the default control scheme.

skipwondah33
09-21-2010, 08:00 PM
Definitely the way I feel Mors...The controls feel a little stiff but ive only played about 4 qtrs

JeffHCross
09-21-2010, 09:41 PM
NBA 2K11 joins Madden NFL 11 in featuring White House visit for champsThe timing of that is interesting. That almost ... almost ... seems like something they might have been able to slide in after Madden announced it ... but probably not. Very interesting to see them both have it, and be from completely different devs.

morsdraconis
09-22-2010, 08:45 PM
Developers Insights: Association (http://community.2ksports.com/community/insights/index.cfm?aid=2965928&l=112k11)

LOTS of great information on the additions to The Association in this blog

JeffHCross
09-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Wow. Incredibly well organized and well written.

morsdraconis
09-22-2010, 09:32 PM
I gotta say more and more I'm VERY excited about this game. Gotta temper it some because of how they've said they're fixing some of the Association stuff before and they haven't or it hasn't worked like they said it would so gotta temper it some, but, in the end, it's looking and sounding more and more amazing and more and more like a REAL basketball game.

cdj
09-25-2010, 04:14 PM
Another halftime vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3TsVrbDOyI&feature=player_embedded

JeffHCross
09-25-2010, 07:10 PM
Highlighting Monta Ellis, then showing Stephen Curry in the 1st half comparison is weird ... but otherwise, it's a neat feature. Not something I would normally watch, but something I could see people letting play out while they went to grab a bite or just listening to during halftime. Personally, I'd be much more likely to pay attention to a post-game show, or a weekly recap.

cdj
09-26-2010, 10:57 AM
Maybe there's a vid out already of it and I missed it, but I'd like to see one of these halftime shows at some point deep into the season. With records, close divisional races, etc. it is probably really cool.

morsdraconis
09-27-2010, 08:19 PM
Lovin' that 2k11 is playing like real basketball, but FUCK is it hard. My Player has become VERY difficult without basically nitch playing (aka rebounding center or something equally easy) until you get enough points to develop your other aspects. There's no easy driving to the basketball with an athletic point guard and getting the easy slam whenever you need it or anything.

And holy hell are the Jordan Challenges tough. Makes you really respect even more how talented that man was...

(yes, I have the game early, in case you didn't get that yet ;) )

cdj
09-27-2010, 08:27 PM
Free ground shipping on the game at EB Games/GameStop (http://www.ebgames.com/gs/thedeal/?loc=homedeal).

cdj
09-29-2010, 06:38 AM
New Community Insights on NBA Today 2.0/Audio (http://community.2ksports.com/community/insights/).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sso0IbITKJw&feature=sub

Following up on the introduction of NBA Today in NBA2K10, we wanted to expand the feature this year and add more detail. For starters, a new halftime show featuring highlights and analysis of your current game and an NBA Today segment with “Around the League” updates, where we show and discuss completed games, games in-progress, or upcoming games on any given day of the NBA Season. Damon Bruce is the host, and he brings a lot of unbiased enthusiasm to the discussion of key players' performances, and the breakdown of how various aspects of a team’s strategy is being executed. For Around the League analysis, you'll find out about the leading scorers, team winning and losing streaks, division and conference rankings, and their context within the season- all the way to the playoff race. You can see some examples of Around the League dialogue and presentation in the Audio Trailer here above.

This stuff is really cool. If it works half as well as the blog & video describe it, a similar feature needs to be in all sports games.

JBHuskers
09-29-2010, 11:38 AM
Guess I better get the demo since I'm getting the game Tuesday now :D

skipwondah33
09-30-2010, 12:15 PM
New Community Insights on NBA Today 2.0/Audio (http://community.2ksports.com/community/insights/).

Following up on the introduction of NBA Today in NBA2K10, we wanted to expand the feature this year and add more detail. For starters, a new halftime show featuring highlights and analysis of your current game and an NBA Today segment with “Around the League” updates, where we show and discuss completed games, games in-progress, or upcoming games on any given day of the NBA Season. Damon Bruce is the host, and he brings a lot of unbiased enthusiasm to the discussion of key players' performances, and the breakdown of how various aspects of a team’s strategy is being executed. For Around the League analysis, you'll find out about the leading scorers, team winning and losing streaks, division and conference rankings, and their context within the season- all the way to the playoff race. You can see some examples of Around the League dialogue and presentation in the Audio Trailer here above.

This stuff is really cool. If it works half as well as the blog & video describe it, a similar feature needs to be in all sports games.

Wow :))

This game is sounding absolutely amazing to me.

JBHuskers
09-30-2010, 12:33 PM
Wow :))

This game is sounding absolutely amazing to me.

We'll have to battle next week.

morsdraconis
09-30-2010, 03:11 PM

:( Not getting it for the 360?

morsdraconis
09-30-2010, 03:24 PM
Also, be prepared to be blown the fuck away when you pop the game in. If you're a Chicago Bulls fan at all, it's the most amazing, jaw dropping thing, ever. I felt like a kid again, watching MJ play...

skipwondah33
09-30-2010, 03:59 PM

Definitely

Also, be prepared to be blown the fuck away when you pop the game in. If you're a Chicago Bulls fan at all, it's the most amazing, jaw dropping thing, ever. I felt like a kid again, watching MJ play...

Awesome!!, I'm getting that anxious feeling in my body like I'm a kid.

cdj
09-30-2010, 10:27 PM

Can't wait!

Can you drop the difficulty on those difficult Jordan Moments?

morsdraconis
10-01-2010, 06:17 AM
Can't wait!

Can you drop the difficulty on those difficult Jordan Moments?

Yup. You can change the difficulty, but not the minutes per quarter (so far, it's been 8 minute quarters).

I'm going to have to drop the difficulty because the first one is fuckin' hard to pull off with only 8 minute quarters. Was so pissed cause the last time I tried it, I was one fuckin' point away... (first one is drop 63+ on the 1986 Celtics while shooting 50% and getting 6+ assists - harder than you would think it would be but considering that early in Jordan's career he can't hit a 3 pointer if his life depended on it, it's a bit tough...)

JeffHCross
10-01-2010, 10:24 PM
IGN Review is out: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/112/1124875p1.html 9.5

This is one of the most incredible year-over-year improvements of a game imaginable. Madden, EA's NHL series, MLB 2K, and just about everyone else has been served notice. There are no more excuses for half-assed annual updates. Bring it every year or you will get booed out of the building.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su2wSWdOUo0

I OU a Beatn
10-02-2010, 07:16 AM
I read the review last night. I haven't seen such a glowing review about a sports game in my life. Very impressive. Day one buy.

morsdraconis
10-02-2010, 10:49 AM
Just for some negative reviewing of the game:

The animations in this game are fucking terrible. Playing down in the box is impossible because of the retarded animation of getting pushed around by the defender all the time pretty much just makes you a useless distraction for anywhere from 3-8 seconds. The animation kicks in when you're just trying fight your way from one side of the paint to the other (can't tell you how many times I've gotten offensive 3 second calls because I was stuck in the fuckin' animation and couldn't get out of it).

The issue of being in the paint and trying to fight for position against the CPU bug is still there where you'll be in the animation of fighting for position (leaning up against one another) and then the CPU will go to pass the player the ball and all of a sudden, he'll break the animation, stand straight up with you stuck in the other animation, and then he'll just move right past you for the score, all while you're still holding the button to body up on him.

Then, because of the improved man defense by the CPU, you'll run into the CPU and have to pick up your dribble a lot more (way unrealistic) but, again, it's one of those animations that you can't stop once it happens, and it happens quite frequently because you'll be trying to cross the CPU over or something and they'll just teleport back in front of your player again (super man defense crap from previous iterations).

So, they definitely didn't fix EVERYTHING that's wrong with the game and expect to have some frustrating situations arise, especially if you aren't very good at all the dribble moves (I still suck at them and look at some of the crazy shit people do and wonder how the hell they do that in the heat of the moment...) cause the animations in this game are still steaming piles of shit sometimes...

JBHuskers
10-02-2010, 04:05 PM
I'm ready.

JeffHCross
10-02-2010, 04:40 PM
I read the review last night. I haven't seen such a glowing review about a sports game in my life. Very impressive. Day one buy.Yep. I think NHL 11 has a competitor for SGotY. Good. Competition, new features, all that is always good for the genre and the industry. If anybody from EA looks at 2k11 and says "Hey, we could do something like that for ____", the consumer wins.

skipwondah33
10-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Picking up my copy after work..prett excited to actually get to know the controls and feel of the game

JBHuskers
10-05-2010, 12:55 PM
C'mon 4:30....

I OU a Beatn
10-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Played one game so far. Great game for sure. The animations are fucked up though. There's nothing I hate more than an animation continuation knocking my player out of bounds.

skipwondah33
10-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Yeah that pisses me off too

tko27
10-05-2010, 04:57 PM
Does the game have an Online Franchise mode? Online Co-Op? Please fill me in on the online options.

morsdraconis
10-05-2010, 05:13 PM
Does the game have an Online Franchise mode? Online Co-Op? Please fill me in on the online options.

Just versus as far as I know (but I don't really mess around with the online stuff very often).

CLW
10-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Out of curiosity can you turn trade logic off (at least temporarily) in franchise mode?

I'm craving a hoops game but I HATE the NBA.

The only way I'd consider buying this game is if I could run a franchise with only "my" Duke Blue Devils on a team.

skipwondah33
10-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Whoa

If you grew up watching the Bulls and been a fan of MJ since the gold rope chain, the opening of this game will give you alot of emotions. I cant explain it but I had goose bumps and was ready to go play basketball. Brings back memories for sure. I know Mors touched on it and the video was posted but seeing on my TV was just wild.

Just wrapped up a tight game with one of my friends (Knicks) vs Hawks (Me). Went down to the wire with me winning by 1 after Marvin Williams hit a 30-footer off the in bounds pass.

For me the game will take a little more to get use to. The controls feel tight and sluggish but I haven't been playing this series at all. I'm sure once I get use to it, it will be ok.

morsdraconis
10-05-2010, 10:42 PM
Whoa

If you grew up watching the Bulls and been a fan of MJ since the gold rope chain, the opening of this game will give you alot of emotions. I cant explain it but I had goose bumps and was ready to go play basketball. Brings back memories for sure. I know Mors touched on it and the video was posted but seeing on my TV was just wild.

I told ya man. It's like being a kid and watching the Bulls all over again. It totally blew me away how well they did it and then to get to play against my favorite player of all time (Larry Byrd) in the first of the Jordan Challenges was REALLY awesome as well (really hurt to have to beat them though Larry was amazing with 35 points himself and some AMAZING passes).

I just wish the animations weren't so terrible especially when trying to play the My Player stuff cause there are some REALLY awesome sounding things later on in the My Player section that I really want to get to, but jesus christ is playing through the begin a pain in the ass...

skipwondah33
10-06-2010, 01:31 AM
Yeah the animations are terrible. I really can't stand the "bump lose ball" animation and goodness there are alot of tip/swatted passes. I often feel out of control when I'm trying to make a move then go to the basket.

I played the 1st challenge and came close to getting it. I had 58 points, 4 assists with 49% shooting. It was my 3rd game since buying the game, so the more I play I think I can get it.

JBHuskers
10-07-2010, 03:07 PM
ESPN features 2K11 on the main headlines today:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5658787

morsdraconis
10-07-2010, 04:06 PM
I gotta say, I'm getting really disenchanted with NBA 2k11... The animations are just fuckin' killin' me... They didn't do shit about them (and, in fact, just made them worse)...

JBHuskers
10-12-2010, 01:32 AM
Pretty much addicted to My Player right now. 10 games in, I'm the 6th man. Averaging about 5 points per game right now. Had a chance for a buzzer beater to go to OT, but missed it. Right now the Pacers are as expected, towards the bottom of the East. I think they're 3-7 right now.

morsdraconis
10-12-2010, 01:44 AM
Yeah, finally got over the hump myself with My Player. Playing as an athletic Small Forward. Got drafted by the Grizzlies and I'm working my way through training camp right now.

JBHuskers
10-12-2010, 08:23 AM
Somehow the 76ers are 9-1 :D

skipwondah33
10-12-2010, 09:52 AM
I've been wrapped in my player as well, its taking away from me actually playing games as I've only played 4 against an opponent.

I created a 6-9 Power Forward (all-around), had a pretty solid pre-draft camp and summer circuit. Think I averaged 9 and 7 even with ball hog Mario Chalmers not passing the damn ball majority of the games. I set alot of picks for that bum too, and never called for the ball. Ended up getting drafted #3 in the 2nd round....to of all places the Miami Heat http://ncaastrategies.com/utopia/public/style_emoticons/default/ikonBoard/laugh.gif. I'm getting 12-16 minutes a game at the #7 spot in the rotation. I gotta say its pretty cool playing with Lebron, he will likely always pass the ball to you if your open or he doesn't have a path to the basket lol

JBHuskers
10-12-2010, 10:17 AM
I was predicted to go to the Heat before my last pre-draft game. Then I got bumped up three spots to the Pacers :(

One thing I learned, don't consistantly call for the pass, I was thinking it wasn't working and then it f'n stacks all the button hits :D I dropped from a B- teammate grade to a D+ just like that. :smh:

skipwondah33
10-12-2010, 11:42 AM
I never call for the pass, my first game in the pre-draft camp I didn't really know what was going on so I got a F teammate grade for always calling for the ball, I didn't realize that I was calling for it. Then I didn't really know what to do. There on out I got the game down and started setting screens and posting up.

morsdraconis
10-13-2010, 01:37 AM
(sigh) Just had the game freeze on me after having played like 4 games in a row in my season of My Player (with the Grizzlies as my athletic SF) without having saved since like the 3rd or 4th game...

Got injured in the last game and it simmed to the end of the game and I left to go back to the main My Player section and it froze loading my game. My be a glitch but I'm not sure. Kinda pissed that I just wasted like 2 1/2 hours playing this game and because I forgot to save my freakin' game (had the auto-save feature turned off because the game fuckin' LOVES to screw you out of points when doing the drills and I got fed up with getting screwed out of points by my player doing things that I didn't even tell him to do [like miss mid-range jumpers with 90 in Medium shot and a perfect release (rolls eyes)]).

But My Player is DEFINITELY more enjoyable once you power through the shitty Summer League and Training Camp games.

Still really pissed that there's no way for me to change the on the court settings to see the plays called. Why the fucked that up between now and the last version of the game I don't know (cause it worked just fine once you got into the normal NBA season games but now the coach settings option isn't even available in the menus).

morsdraconis
10-17-2010, 01:23 PM
Motherfucker, it just locked up on me again. This time after a HUGE game by My Player where I had the most points I'd scored with him (16 points in 20 minutes). Pretty pissed about it... If it continues to do this, 2k11 has been ruined for me... I still can't believe they haven't released an update to fix the Associations shit yet (CPU makes ZERO trades after year 2 or 3, no matter what you do to the rosters or incoming rookies).

skipwondah33
10-18-2010, 02:00 PM
That sucks

I've been playing more actual games, I started up a season just picking a random team in the Pacers. The computer is waxing me right now on Superstar difficulty for the most part, its insane the amount of passes they deflect/intercept, not to mention they shoot a a damn good percentage.

Playing actual games has made me realize how solid this game is. The animations are great, aside from the contact animation and a few others. The controls are still a pain to get use to as far as dribble moves and player movement in general.

I'm loving this game though

morsdraconis
10-18-2010, 10:05 PM
Well, I got two games in without it fuckin' up so it may have just been a momentary thing. REALLY liking the My Player aspect now that I'm in the NBA season. It's interesting how the inconsistency of my player (ratings wise) is reflected in the game. Go from a marvelous 16 point 12 rebound (+50% shooting) double double game to a pedestrian 8 point 4 rebound (-40% shooting) game against similar teams. Playing for the Grizzlies is A LOT of fun though. They're a talented team that has a few pieces missing and with multiple multi-position talented players on the team (Rudy ***, OJ Mayo, Marc Gasol) it's allowed me to really start getting minutes (up to 27 now) without the team suffering.

Just now started playing with 12 minutes quarters (meant to change it from 8 minutes once I hit the NBA games, but I forgot to until this past game) and man, the Grizzlies are scoring machines.

Only playing on All-Pro (or whatever the one below Superstar is) but I suck so it's good enough for me.

Papa LoneStar
10-19-2010, 01:37 AM
I love My Player (played it a TON on 2K10....I created my son (currently 9 months) as a 7'0" 304 athletic center on all-star. Got drafted 10th overall by the Pacers....currently rated 55 and averaging 12, 12, and 1 after 5 games....but we are 1-4....after dropping 20 points and 19 boards....I was pulled for the final 7 seconds against the Nuggets down 2....only to watch Darren Collison dribble at the top of the key and shoot a contested 3 that clanked. I really wanted to bring the Pacers back....but immediately after that game....I went to request a trade to the Mavericks or Thunder after seeing the Thunder was interested....that's where I saved and I look forward to the fan reaction and where he might end up.

morsdraconis
10-20-2010, 09:16 PM
(sigh) again...

Apparently it keeps locking up when it goes to load the interview portion after you play a game of My Player. Not sure what the hell is the problem is. I have the game installed on my harddrive and everything. Maybe I should delete the install of it and try either reinstalling it or just loading it from the disk all the time (god the load times are atrocious...).

Either way, just wasted an amazing game where I scored 22 points 12 rebounds and 3 block shots (with a player that's basically just a pure athletic shooter from inside the three point line) against Boston where it came down to Ray Allen missing a 3 pointer to either win or lose the game for the Celtics (and, unfortunately, I wasn't guarding him at the time). He missed the shot and we (Memphis) pulled off an amazing home victory over the mighty Celtics, but, sadly, it was all for not...

JeffHCross
10-20-2010, 09:19 PM
mors, I have seen other places reporting lock ups with My Player. So I don't think you're alone.

cdj
10-20-2010, 09:37 PM
mors - At what point are you at in My Player? I saw a YouTube comment (very reliable, I know) even before the game was officially released saying that some issue emerged in the mode once you hit 20-30 games in.

JeffHCross
10-20-2010, 10:05 PM
Pasta was saying there was a "major issue" with freezing discovered shortly after release. Didn't provide any details on where or how it's induced, just that it was in My Player.

cdj
10-20-2010, 11:10 PM
NBA 2K11 Sales 'Up Significantly,' says Analyst (http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/nba-2k11-sales-up-significantly-says-analyst/)

Who knows when we'll find out how NBA 2K11 is actually selling since NPD doesn't provide units anymore, but according to Lazard Capital Markets analyst Colin Sebastian, the 2K Sports title is off to a great start this fall. He noted that his channel checks indicate that initial sell-through of NBA 2K11 is "up significantly vs. last year."

The game has clearly been benefiting from the presence of the legendary Michael Jordan (on the cover and in-game), and the fact that competitor EA Sports moved NBA Elite 11 into 2011 no doubt gave the title another boost at retail. It's also once again doing quite well critically with a score of 90 on Metacritic.

Sterne Agee analyst Arvind Bhatia noted at the time of the delay that NBA 2K11 would probably see a unit sales jump of around 500,000 thanks to Elite being shifted into next year.

morsdraconis
10-21-2010, 03:59 PM
mors - At what point are you at in My Player? I saw a YouTube comment (very reliable, I know) even before the game was officially released saying that some issue emerged in the mode once you hit 20-30 games in.

I'm only 8 or 9 games in.

Man, with 2k, it's always fuckin' somethin'....

Glad I'm not alone in this issue though. Hopefully they get around to fixing it, along with fixing Association (which they supposedly fixed, but didn't at all).

JBHuskers
10-21-2010, 05:09 PM
I'm only 8 or 9 games in.

Man, with 2k, it's always fuckin' somethin'....

Glad I'm not alone in this issue though. Hopefully they get around to fixing it, along with fixing Association (which they supposedly fixed, but didn't at all).

I wonder if deleting 2K system files will help or not?

morsdraconis
10-21-2010, 06:40 PM
I wonder if deleting 2K system files will help or not?

I'm going to go through and delete everything that's not the save file for My Player and see if it still does it.

Rudy
10-21-2010, 06:44 PM
Ronnie 2K tweeted today that they just fixed all the freezing issues with My Player. I guess you will see if it is true or not.

JeffHCross
10-21-2010, 06:52 PM
Man, with 2k, it's always fuckin' somethin'....This was exactly my point in all the discussion about 2k vs EA. 2k manages to find a way to break their game more often than not, despite all the good they do with their features.

morsdraconis
10-21-2010, 09:27 PM
Ronnie 2K tweeted today that they just fixed all the freezing issues with My Player. I guess you will see if it is true or not.

When is this coming out? They need to hurry the fuck up or I'm just going to move on to playing something else (you know, something that doesn't fuckin' waste an hour of my time because it fuckin' freezes!) cause the fuckin' game just did it to me again, after I deleted everything but the My Player file. And, of fucking course, it happens right when I have my best game of my career (again, for the third god damn time...).

Rudy
10-22-2010, 05:21 AM
Based on his tweet I was assuming it was effective immediately (sometime yesterday).

morsdraconis
10-22-2010, 04:59 PM
Based on his tweet I was assuming it was effective immediately (sometime yesterday).

Man, I hope so. This shit is getting hella frustrating...

JBHuskers
10-25-2010, 02:08 PM
http://www.pastapadre.com/2010/10/25/first-nba-2k11-patch-arriving

First patch coming this week....the My Player freezing patch, later in November it seems.

From Pasta...

morsdraconis
10-25-2010, 07:37 PM
At least they are going to do something about it soon. I`ve been lucky the last few times I`ve played as it`s worked ok.

cdj
11-14-2010, 09:23 PM
Just started playing this one, but have only done a couple Jordan Challenges. Though, I have to say the commentary is very, very impressive. I'm anxious to hear it in the midst of a season.

morsdraconis
11-14-2010, 11:25 PM
Though, I have to say the commentary is very, very impressive. I'm anxious to hear it in the midst of a season.

It can be a bit repetitive if you continue to really excel at a certain aspect of the game (like defensive points per game), but, other than that, it's pretty damn good. Talking about how well players are playing, stopping in the middle of the sentence to exclaim when someone throws down a monster dunk, and things like that are just really great stuff that EA hasn't even come close to with their commentary (oh how vivid is the NCAA Football commentary being 10 seconds behind the action of me scoring a TD and it actually just skipping the commentary for it altogether).

JBHuskers
11-15-2010, 09:46 AM
I haven't played in a while...kinda worried about the freezing issues like what Mors had until the next patch drops...which should be soon so I will probably hold off from playing til then.

morsdraconis
11-15-2010, 11:07 AM
I haven't played in a while...kinda worried about the freezing issues like what Mors had until the next patch drops...which should be soon so I will probably hold off from playing til then.

I actually haven't had any issues at all with freezing lately (knock on wood) so I wouldn't worry about it. I've played 26 games in the season now and haven't had any trouble for a good 10 or 15 games now.

JBHuskers
11-15-2010, 11:36 AM
I actually haven't had any issues at all with freezing lately (knock on wood) so I wouldn't worry about it. I've played 26 games in the season now and haven't had any trouble for a good 10 or 15 games now.

Sweet...I'm 13 or so in, I got hooked on My Player so much I haven't even dug into Jordan moments yet :D

morsdraconis
11-15-2010, 12:07 PM
Sweet...I'm 13 or so in, I got hooked on My Player so much I haven't even dug into Jordan moments yet :D

Me neither man. I've been playing nothing but My Player. Got away from it some there for a while, but been playing it more again. It is SO much fun, especially once you get into the meat of the season and really start building your skills. Really makes you feel like an up and coming NBA star.

JBHuskers
11-15-2010, 12:18 PM
Me neither man. I've been playing nothing but My Player. Got away from it some there for a while, but been playing it more again. It is SO much fun, especially once you get into the meat of the season and really start building your skills. Really makes you feel like an up and coming NBA star.

Yeah I started out 7th and now I'm the 6th man. On the Pacers though LOL

morsdraconis
11-15-2010, 01:48 PM
Yeah I started out 7th and now I'm the 6th man. On the Pacers though LOL

Yeah, I started out 7th or 8th on Memphis and I'm the 6th man right now as well at 64 overall. I've got a mean inside/medium range game and I can take them to the hole occasionally but I'm just disgusting when it comes to spot shooting inside 20 feet; give me an open look and I'm going to nail it.

Being a 6'8" SF on Memphis is certainly interesting. I basically complement Rudy *** in that we'll switch between him being the SG and me being the SF to me being the SG and him being the SF to sometimes me being the PF.

I'm up to averaging 18 ppg with 6.5 rpg 3 or 4 apg (REALLY hard to get assists when they really don't run plays and even with Floor General, I can't get them to run plays - I REALLY hope they fix that soon) and 1.5 bpg. Just played a game against the freakin' Bobcats and my team did everything they could to lose to them and I just couldn't pull them out of it. Scored 28 points and had a few rebounds and assists but turned the ball over 5 freakin' times...

We're still only half a game behind San Antonio for 1st place in the West though so all is not lost.

JBHuskers
11-24-2010, 08:17 AM
Looks like the patch is here....

http://www.gamefocus.ca/?nav=new&nid=11920

morsdraconis
11-24-2010, 12:43 PM
Wow, and, immediately, people are bitching about My Player mode having the correct playcalling for your team. God forbid you don't score 30 points a game every game (I've yet to not score 30 points a game with someone that probably shouldn't be mainly because of being able to screen the defender on the PG and get wide open for a medium range shot/3 pointer when they switch on the screen). It's about time that you play like you should be playing instead of putting up Kobe numbers with a 60 overall player.

JBHuskers
11-24-2010, 01:26 PM
No shit LOL

JBHuskers
12-21-2010, 10:15 AM
I have dove back into My Player again the past couple of nights and am now 20 games into my season. I'm just going with the default 5:00 quarters, but thankfully the rest of the league's stats match what you're doing. I'm averaging 7.7 points a game, tops among rookies....Kobe is leading the league at about 15.5.

The Pacers are a putrid 6-14 through 20 games. I went into the ask for a trade feature....but am kinda conflicted as to whether or not I wanna ask for one. I am wondering if there will be consequences...but when I went into the screen for the first time, it shows you teams interested in dealing for you and Dallas is the only team showing up on the list....and they're #1 in the West through 20 games....so I'm very tempted. I'm just tired of the Pacers sucking :D I'm second on the team in scoring behind Granger.

morsdraconis
12-21-2010, 12:03 PM
There are some negative things that happen at the beginning but once you get traded (which they supposedly fixed to have happen faster than before) and play a few games with the new team, it's really no big deal.

JBHuskers
12-21-2010, 12:08 PM
There are some negative things that happen at the beginning but once you get traded (which they supposedly fixed to have happen faster than before) and play a few games with the new team, it's really no big deal.

Can't get much more negative than playing with the Pacers :D

cdj
02-13-2011, 11:51 AM
From pastapadre (http://www.pastapadre.com/2011/02/12/nba-2k11-all-star-jerseys-unlocked):

2K Sports has released this year’s All-Star Game uniforms in NBA 2K11. As with the last set of additional jerseys provided they have been unlocked with the latest “Living Rosters” update.
There is also a way to add them manually. For those who want to activate the jerseys in Association mode or that don’t have the console connected online the following code can be input in the Features-Extras-Codes area of the menu: wydololoh

morsdraconis
02-13-2011, 12:06 PM
Cool. I need to play more, but getting NCAA and Black Ops again has really taken up what gaming time I have.

cdj
02-13-2011, 12:11 PM
I'm the same way. Enjoying 2K11, but haven't played as much as I have liked.

cdj
03-11-2011, 08:00 AM
NBA 2K11 (PS3 & 360) currently $36.96 at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dvideogames&field-keywords=nba+2k11&x=0&y=0)

Courtesy: Operation Sports (http://twitter.com/#!/operationsports/status/46005252138340352)

morsdraconis
03-11-2011, 09:46 AM
WELL worth it (as I've said numerous times).

Just started playing it again using the My Player mode (by FAR, my favorite) and it's still enjoyable after several months.

Making a Yao Ming clone at the moment (7'1" 250ish with a SWEET midrange jumper) and it's the most fun I've had. Got drafted by the Bulls (hell yes!) and currently working through Summer Drills. Can't wait to get on the court with D Rose and Boozer at the same time and reek some havoc.

SmoothPancakes
05-09-2011, 03:09 PM
So I bought this and it just arrived on Friday, along with AC: Brotherhood, and while I am enjoying it and know I will spend a lot of time in Association, My Player is starting to slowly piss me off. I'm currently playing the second game during the Draft Combine, after having an easy A+ Teammate Grade performance in the first game. This game, I cannot get above C+ because this goddamn game can't decide who the fuck my player should be guarding.

I'm spending a good portion of the time guarding John Wall, but every couple plays, when a bunch of people get moving around, my matchup for that play keeps changing to different players, fucking me out of my teammate grade since it changes constantly to players who just happen to be in a great position to score while I'm on the other side of the basket guarding someone else. It is really starting to annoy the fuck out of me. If I'm matching up with John Wall at the time, and I'm sticking right on him the entire time we're on defense, then stop switching it to other players I'm nowhere close to so they can score and fuck my teammate grade.

HWill
05-09-2011, 04:10 PM
So I bought this and it just arrived on Friday, along with AC: Brotherhood, and while I am enjoying it and know I will spend a lot of time in Association, My Player is starting to slowly piss me off. I'm currently playing the second game during the Draft Combine, after having an easy A+ Teammate Grade performance in the first game. This game, I cannot get above C+ because this goddamn game can't decide who the fuck my player should be guarding.

I'm spending a good portion of the time guarding John Wall, but every couple plays, when a bunch of people get moving around, my matchup for that play keeps changing to different players, fucking me out of my teammate grade since it changes constantly to players who just happen to be in a great position to score while I'm on the other side of the basket guarding someone else. It is really starting to annoy the fuck out of me. If I'm matching up with John Wall at the time, and I'm sticking right on him the entire time we're on defense, then stop switching it to other players I'm nowhere close to so they can score and fuck my teammate grade.

I attempted to do my player, but quickly realized I didn't have the patience for it.

morsdraconis
05-09-2011, 04:16 PM
Just power through the very beginning of the game and follow this guide (http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/995393-nba-2k11/faqs/61966) for a GREAT way to have an impact early on. Once you actually get on the team, that's when the REAL fun with the game starts.

The Draft Combine and Summer League crap is just there to help you build up your attributes a little bit. Don't fret if you don't get an A+ or finish all of the requirements. I just turn the minutes per quarter down to 5 for the Draft Combine section since it's basically meaningless how well/poor you do during that time. After that, I put the minutes to 8 for the Summer League stuff post-draft and then once the season actually starts, that's when I pump it up to 12 minute quarters (if you're only getting 15-25 minutes a game, it'll take anywhere from 30-45 minutes to play a full game and you'll get pretty decent to great stats for your time until you build up your attributes enough to become a starter and really start to light up the stat sheets).

Don't let the Draft Combine and Summer League frustrate you man. It did me at first as well, but once you get past those initial stages of the game, you'll REALLY fall in love with your team (or hate them for not giving you the ball more and demand a trade) and just enjoy the game.

It's got some quirks that can be annoying (dribble moves are VERY hard to do, in my opinion, and the rebounding is a bit sketchy at times) but, overall, it's the best basketball game I've ever played, even if Association is kinda bleh because of how poor the trade logic can be sometimes.

SmoothPancakes
05-09-2011, 04:28 PM
Alright, sounds good man. I figured the Draft Combine stuff was at least somewhat important, so I've been trying to do my absolute best on it and it can definitely get frustrating at times. I got so frustrated earlier that I just completely quit out of the second combine game and went and did something else. Came back and did a lot better. Actually was able to score, held Wall to 9 points, and finished with an A rating (had an A+ until I got a 3 seconds call with 4.9 seconds left).

Now that I know it's not something I need to worry much at all about (besides trying to get some quick points), I should be able to blow through it pretty quick now and not let piss me off left and right.

SmoothPancakes
05-09-2011, 04:56 PM
They really need to work on animations. I'm playing the third draft combine game right now, and I've had two three second violations called on me, only halfway through the 1st quarter, because I got stuck in a box out animation. Really annoying.

morsdraconis
05-09-2011, 05:35 PM
They really need to work on animations. I'm playing the third draft combine game right now, and I've had two three second violations called on me, only halfway through the 1st quarter, because I got stuck in a box out animation. Really annoying.

Yeah, that's definitely a pain in the ass.

Oh, and on your thing about not knowing who to cover because it keeps switching, don't pay attention to that. ALWAYS cover your guy. The small amount you lose for allowing someone to score isn't nearly as bad as allowing your matchup to have a great game. I can't tell you how many times I say to the game, "No, that's not my guy, my guy is over here." If you stick with your guy, sooner or later, your teammate will switch over to the guy that's uncovered by them switching onto your guy.

I basically always make sure I know who my matchup actually is (can't always go by who plays you on defense either because sometimes they'll have someone else play defense against you because they're a better matchup for your player than the guy they have at the position you're playing). I make sure to pay attention right as your opponent goes to inbound the ball because that's when the matchup indicator underneath your player will actually show who you're matchup actually is and not who your stupid teammates want you to rotate to and play.

The biggest thing early though is to do the little things. Get rebounds, play solid defense, set screens for your teammates, etc. In the Draft Combine, it's basically street ball where your team doesn't run plays (don't know why they never fixed that) so it's basically pick and roll situations over and over again or one on one with you against whoever. The biggest thing is taking good shots and knowing your player's limitations, which is why upping your medium shot ability ASAP (unless you're a PF or C) is very important to helping you score. With a medium shot ability in the high 70s to low 80s (easily achievable from the start) you're quite deadly from medium range as long as you take shots when you are at least semi-open.

SmoothPancakes
05-09-2011, 09:00 PM
Alright, I'll keep that in mind. That was getting so annoying, having the game switch who I should be covering in the middle of the play, then that guy goes and gets the ball and scores and screws my teammate grade. It had me running around like a headless chicken. And yeah, I do nothing but the little things. In my first two games at the combine, I've averaged 7-10 rebounds, 5-7 assists, managed to get 2 points in game one and 5 points in game two, I am CONSTANTLY setting screens every single chance I can, etc. I just have to cut down on bad passes (averaging probably 7-10 bad passes each game due to stupid risks/attempts), getting burned a couple times per game on defense, etc.

Yeah, I've got my medium shot up to 80 or 82 right now. I can hit shots, especially when doing the shooting drill, but I still suck with my shot timing. A lot of times I'm either releasing too late or too early. If I can get my timing perfect on a shot, I am deadly inside the 3-point line, just got to get my timing better overall to make more shots.

morsdraconis
05-09-2011, 09:20 PM
Alright, I'll keep that in mind. That was getting so annoying, having the game switch who I should be covering in the middle of the play, then that guy goes and gets the ball and scores and screws my teammate grade. It had me running around like a headless chicken. And yeah, I do nothing but the little things. In my first two games at the combine, I've averaged 7-10 rebounds, 5-7 assists, managed to get 2 points in game one and 5 points in game two, I am CONSTANTLY setting screens every single chance I can, etc. I just have to cut down on bad passes (averaging probably 7-10 bad passes each game due to stupid risks/attempts), getting burned a couple times per game on defense, etc.

Yeah, I've got my medium shot up to 80 or 82 right now. I can hit shots, especially when doing the shooting drill, but I still suck with my shot timing. A lot of times I'm either releasing too late or too early. If I can get my timing perfect on a shot, I am deadly inside the 3-point line, just got to get my timing better overall to make more shots.

Yeah, it can be a pain for that as well. What I normally do is go with a shot that's pretty close to what I'm used to (releasing the ball at the top of their jump at a relatively long shot time like Joe Alexander, Basic, or the Default one). I got really used to Kobe's jump shot, so I used that one for the longest time until they fixed it where it's more like his actual shot instead of what they had before so I had to find a different one because the shot timing was all messed up then for me. The best thing I can suggest for you is find a shot type you like and then go into the scrimmage thing where you play for 5 minutes against really shitty players (with no fatigue and your teammates always pass the ball to you when you ask for it) and just work on getting used to the shot you chose. If you haven't already, turn on the indicator under presentation to show the shot timing thing in the upper left-hand corner. It's invaluable in trying to figure out what the timing should be for the shot.

SmoothPancakes
05-09-2011, 09:55 PM
Yeah, it can be a pain for that as well. What I normally do is go with a shot that's pretty close to what I'm used to (releasing the ball at the top of their jump at a relatively long shot time like Joe Alexander, Basic, or the Default one). I got really used to Kobe's jump shot, so I used that one for the longest time until they fixed it where it's more like his actual shot instead of what they had before so I had to find a different one because the shot timing was all messed up then for me. The best thing I can suggest for you is find a shot type you like and then go into the scrimmage thing where you play for 5 minutes against really shitty players (with no fatigue and your teammates always pass the ball to you when you ask for it) and just work on getting used to the shot you chose. If you haven't already, turn on the indicator under presentation to show the shot timing thing in the upper left-hand corner. It's invaluable in trying to figure out what the timing should be for the shot.

Oh yeah, I've kept that indicator on the entire time since I first started up the game. It has helped a lot. Right now I think I'm on default for my shot, so I probably will go through and find some that I might be more comfortable with. I would usually have no problem getting gold in the shooting drill at the combine, being able to sink a bunch of shots, but for some reason, in the full speed of a game, my timing is just horrible. About the only shots I can get with relative ease/certainty is the short jumpers right around the basket and put backs. Anything else, I'm currently at the mercy of my timing as to whether it goes in or not.

But, even with frustrations now and then in My Player, and the issues with some animations, I am definitely loving this game and much like the Assassin's Creed series, wondering what the hell took me so long to finally buy it. :D

SmoothPancakes
05-09-2011, 10:56 PM
My what a difference some extra points makes. I played some My Player pick up games on Live to get some practice against real people as well as pick up some extra skills points. Boosted my vertical to help me get some more air and grab rebounds, a great choice to do so. After having to quit at halftime of the 3rd combine game due to being forced logged off of Xbox Live due to a beta update, I just hit halftime in the second attempt to play it. At the half, I have 6 points, 11 rebounds (both surpassing my previous highs in just a single half, while the highs were totals after entire games), 3 assists, 3 or 4 tipped passes, only a single turnover, and have forced my matchup to commit two turnovers so far, giving me an A+ Teammate grade by the half.

Between getting a ton more rebounds, including multiple offensive rebounds now that I can actually jump as high as my opponents thanks to improving my vertical, and being able to actually completely shut down my matchup, this is finally getting fun and no longer frustrating. I think My Player may just become a main mode of play for me after all.

morsdraconis
05-09-2011, 11:21 PM
Oh yeah man. I pretty much just play My Player mode. I've just gotten back into it on the PC so I'm back to starting over again, but I'm back to playing the position I love to play (tall Center with monster rebound, block, and jamming abilities). Forces me to play fundamentally sound basketball because I can't take people off the dribble at all and it's satisfying as hell to get an offensive rebound and jam it down like Shaquille O'Neal used to do back in the day.

I wish it was easier to make a big man that can drain the 3 pointer and medium range stuff like Dirk can cause that's really my favorite way to play, but it's so damn difficult to make a PF that can play like that compared to just making a guy that's good enough to occasionally make the 10-15 footer but mainly just does post stuff around the rim, rebounds the hell out of the ball, and swats anybody that comes close to the lane. When you can easily make a player that can achieve 20 points, 20 rebounds, and 5-10 blocks a game, it's hard not to just coast by with that. ;)

SmoothPancakes
05-09-2011, 11:30 PM
Oh yes, so much better! Finished the game with 10 points (double my previous best), 14 rebounds (previous best was 10), 8 assists (my previous best was 7, and damn, just shy of a triple double), 1 steal (my first ever steal), forced my matchup to commit 4 turnovers, only had a single turnover myself all game, and finished with a completely maxed out A+ Teammate grade (best I had done was a quarter filled A+ in my first game). By far my absolute best game on My Player. And this was also my first game out of the three that my team actually won the damn game, as opposed to losing by anywhere from 5-10 in the previous two, so I was able to get the 100 skill point bonus for winning. I can't wait to see what it gets like once you get into the NBA and actually start improving and rounding out your stats en masse.

Now if only I can get a good draft spot. Going into game three, I was projected to go 27th overall to the Nets. After my dominating performance in the third game, I'm now projected at 23rd overall to the Timberwolves. Neither team I'm particularly excited at the potential of playing for. There are easily a dozen+ teams I would love to play for, from Charlotte or the Clippers, to Atlanta, Memphis, even Sacramento. But The Timberwolves and Nets don't catch my interest. I'd much rather get drafted onto a team I'd like to play for than have to go through trying to get traded sometime after I break into the NBA.

And yeah, once I get into the NBA and start really have some fun, I might be tempted to eventually start up a second My Player and try out some different positions and different skill sets. Definitely can have some fun there.

morsdraconis
05-09-2011, 11:46 PM
Well, you don't have to wait long for you to get traded (I got drafted by the Clippers as a Center, but their PG play is atrocious in the game and Kamen takes some of the most annoying shots I've ever seen; not to mention how often they jack up 3s when the play breaks down at all) as I got traded either 4 or 5 games after I asked for a trade and was even traded to my #1 team (Boston, where I make the complete package and we are now called the Unstoppable Five).

It's not even a guarantee that the team you're projected to will draft you there either. I was projected to go like 5th or something (being 7'5" 300lbs and absolutely dominating everything at the Draft Combine had a ginormous effect on that) but dropped to 8th where the Clippers picked me. Unfortunately, you'll never get picked higher than your projection, but you have a great chance of dropping a bit further. Before I got rid of my PS3, I made a 3 point shooting SF that was lights out for behind the arc but he dropped significantly in the draft (like 10 spots or something) yet I got drafted by the Bulls and was QUITE happy with the results. Needless to say, I was deadly from out there and scored numerous 30 point games because Derrick Rose would break down his man and force a double team from my guy, leaving me wide open for the 3 pointer. :)

SmoothPancakes
05-09-2011, 11:54 PM
Yeah, I was hoping to drop a little bit. Had a chance at getting picked up by the Bulls or Thunder, but the Timberwolves went ahead and picked me at 23 overall as projected. I'll give them their fair shake and try it out. Maybe playing alongside Michael Beasley and Kevin Love for a couple games will grow on me. Though if I do decide to ask for a trade, it's only going to be if one of the teams I really want to be on are interested, namely Denver, Memphis, OKC, or Atlanta. Now if a team like Miami, or the Lakers, or Boston, or some top team were to actually have an interest in me, I certainly wouldn't decline going and playing for them, but Denver and the other three are my main targets if I try for a trade.

And playing in my first summer circuit game, I gotta get used to this. I was used to playing every second of all three games at the combine. Here in this first summer circuit game, I've been sitting on the bench for the last minute or so of the 1st quarter and the entire 2nd quarter. Not doing too bad though. I've got two points and four rebounds and assists each for essentially only 6 minutes of play. Just need to get back in so I can get my B Teammate grade up to an A+ before game's end.

morsdraconis
05-10-2011, 01:59 AM
Yeah, I was hoping to drop a little bit. Had a chance at getting picked up by the Bulls or Thunder, but the Timberwolves went ahead and picked me at 23 overall as projected. I'll give them their fair shake and try it out. Maybe playing alongside Michael Beasley and Kevin Love for a couple games will grow on me. Though if I do decide to ask for a trade, it's only going to be if one of the teams I really want to be on are interested, namely Denver, Memphis, OKC, or Atlanta. Now if a team like Miami, or the Lakers, or Boston, or some top team were to actually have an interest in me, I certainly wouldn't decline going and playing for them, but Denver and the other three are my main targets if I try for a trade.

And playing in my first summer circuit game, I gotta get used to this. I was used to playing every second of all three games at the combine. Here in this first summer circuit game, I've been sitting on the bench for the last minute or so of the 1st quarter and the entire 2nd quarter. Not doing too bad though. I've got two points and four rebounds and assists each for essentially only 6 minutes of play. Just need to get back in so I can get my B Teammate grade up to an A+ before game's end.

Well, when it comes to trades, the teams really don't even have to be interested in you. Boston wasn't interested in my Center in the slightest if I remember correctly, but I kept playing amazingly well even with a horrible passing team that likes to jack up 3s so they're interest in me grew (and I was a position of need for them since they really don't have a competent Center outside of an ancient Shaquille O'Neal).

Yeah, the Summer League games is where you start to not play every minute and it's also why I bump up the minutes to 8-10 so that I have a fair chance of achieving what they want me to achieve as well as showcasing my player's abilities. Even still, doing at least decent in the Summer League will land you on the roster and then you can just work your way up from there.

If you do decide to ask for a trade, you have to play 5 games with your team before you can (not sure if that's a NBA rule or an arbitrary rule that they made), but you can simply sim all the games until they trade you if you like.

Once you get into being on a NBA team, make sure you try to time your milestones with games that are considered "Key Games" (which are indicated at the beginning of the game after showing you the things you need to achieve in that game). All points that you gather from those games are doubled so when you get a milestone like your first start in the NBA or your first triple double in a game, those 1000 or 1500 points you earn from those milestones get doubled as well and they can REALLY add up. It's quite easy to get 10,000+ points from a monster game if you time getting 30 points, 20 rebounds, 10 blocks, your first NBA start, 100 career points, 100 career rebounds, and 3 steals in a game combined with an A+ game, getting the offensive and defensive keys for the game, winning the game, and getting good extra points from dunks and such with a Key Game. And that's just one example of getting ~10k points by timing milestones with Key Games.

skipwondah33
05-10-2011, 10:57 AM
I think I'm going to get back to playing this. I haven't played in a months I know. I need to play the MJ challenge some more then I think I'll start over on My Player. I've been testing it out since the release of the game just never stuck with it.

SmoothPancakes
05-10-2011, 04:39 PM
Yeah, I'm getting the hell off of Minnesota. Every damn game, this stupid team keeps putting me in the game as a shooting guard for every single minute I get to play, when my player is a point guard, and his skills have been set up as a dominant mid-range point guard. Trying to run plays as a shooting guard instead of point guard is screwing me out of rebounds, and my teammates can't shoot for shit, screwing me constantly out of assists. I've really begun to enjoy playing alongside Beasley and Love, and had warmed up to the thought of making a career alongside those two, but I just can't take this coaching anymore. I gotta get the hell out of this place. Unfortunately I have to suck it through three games before I can request my trade.

morsdraconis
05-10-2011, 05:29 PM
Yeah, I'm getting the hell off of Minnesota. Every damn game, this stupid team keeps putting me in the game as a shooting guard for every single minute I get to play, when my player is a point guard, and his skills have been set up as a dominant mid-range point guard. Trying to run plays as a shooting guard instead of point guard is screwing me out of rebounds, and my teammates can't shoot for shit, screwing me constantly out of assists. I've really begun to enjoy playing alongside Beasley and Love, and had warmed up to the thought of making a career alongside those two, but I just can't take this coaching anymore. I gotta get the hell out of this place. Unfortunately I have to suck it through three games before I can request my trade.

Give it time man. Get about 15 games in and you'll get the starting role as the main PG. I had a PG on that team at one point as well and was really making the most of it with KLove and Beasley before I got bored of being the PG (that and I messed up how I wanted to create him).

SmoothPancakes
05-10-2011, 07:13 PM
Give it time man. Get about 15 games in and you'll get the starting role as the main PG. I had a PG on that team at one point as well and was really making the most of it with KLove and Beasley before I got bored of being the PG (that and I messed up how I wanted to create him).

Alright, I'll do that. As long as I eventually stop getting constantly put in the game as a shooting guard as I get deeper into the beginning of the season and actually play point guard like my player is set as. I'm taking a break from it for now and working on some other games, but I'll get back into it later tonight or tomorrow.

Kingpin32
05-16-2011, 04:56 PM
I just got 2K11 not too long ago. Got me a 6'7 SF playing for the Hawks right now.

morsdraconis
05-16-2011, 07:29 PM
I just got 2K11 not too long ago. Got me a 6'7 SF playing for the Hawks right now.

:up:

It's some of the most rewarding Create-A-Player aspects I've ever seen. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Kingpin32
05-16-2011, 09:10 PM

It's some of the most rewarding Create-A-Player aspects I've ever seen. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

I'm loving it. It's a lot of grinding now, but it's the fun type of grinding. I'm about 9 games in, we started slow but now got a nice little win streak going.

JBHuskers
05-16-2011, 09:20 PM

The only thing that bothers me is after year one, there isn't much incentive to come back as I was able to start for the Celtics with a much lower rating than Rondo.

But everything leading up to the end of the first year is some great stuff.

Kingpin32
05-16-2011, 10:55 PM
I always seem to have the most fun by creating a player, and then starting an Association around him.

morsdraconis
06-10-2011, 12:25 AM
Well, I started a My Player that's pretty much an exact clone of Dirk. So far, I can drain anything from medium range (gotta work on getting my consistency up more) and I'm fairly decent behind the 3 point line as well. Working on getting my guy's other stuff up right now (post abilities, blocking, passing, and rebounding) and I've got the workings of a Dirk clone. Interestingly enough, I got drafted by the Nets and, so far, it's actually fun on their team. They run plays that give me opportunities and they run plenty of stuff to keep my involved (screens and such) so I get my game points for setting those screens and such as well. I might actually stick with them. Having Deron Williams on the team is definitely a HUGE plus and they're bad enough to were I might actually feel obligated to get the team chemistry up enough to where they'll smartly ask me who to go after.

SmoothPancakes
06-20-2011, 10:28 AM
Well, after the caddy in Tiger Woods 12 pissed me off enough that I have shelved that game for at least the entire rest of this week, I've gotten back into NBA 2K11. Playing my second My Player game of the day against Miami, was just on the receiving end of my first ever alley-oop. It was a pretty sweet moment when it happened. I am also currently hating Kevin Love. I have four rebounds right now with 7:30 left in the fourth quarter, and that bastard has stolen at least 3 potential others from me.

And these animations are still pissing me off. I went to drive in to get in position for a potential offensive rebound, and one of the defenders for the Heat just suddenly warps into position in front of me and sucks me right into a blocking out animation, even though the bastard was nowhere near to being in position to even hope to slow me down on my move into the paint.

morsdraconis
06-20-2011, 08:18 PM
And these animations are still pissing me off. I went to drive in to get in position for a potential offensive rebound, and one of the defenders for the Heat just suddenly warps into position in front of me and sucks me right into a blocking out animation, even though the bastard was nowhere near to being in position to even hope to slow me down on my move into the paint.

I completely agree man. The animations REALLY piss me off in this game as well and shit like being in position to actually contest a shot in real life, but, in the game, because I timed my stuff differently than what they'd like, I get nothing for it besides bad team play because the opponent drains the shot like there was no contesting at all.

SmoothPancakes
06-21-2011, 07:07 AM
I completely agree man. The animations REALLY piss me off in this game as well and shit like being in position to actually contest a shot in real life, but, in the game, because I timed my stuff differently than what they'd like, I get nothing for it besides bad team play because the opponent drains the shot like there was no contesting at all.

Yeah, those box out animations annoy the hell out of me. In that Miami game, there was a person and a half wide open space between me and that defender. I was coming off a pick and sprinting full speed into the lane to get into position for a rebound as my teammate was starting to put up a shot from the right wing. All of a sudden, this guy suddenly warps/slides over, despite being currently locked up with one of my teammates, to right in front of me and stops my player cold on a dime. If that was real life, either that guy never even gets over in time as my player goes sprinting past, or he ends up planting his face into the court as I plow over and flatten his ass while running to the basket at full speed.

And just now, playing an Association game against New Orleans, Emeka Okafor catches a pass beneath the basket and slams it down on me, starting up a Moment of the Game animation and cut scene. After it ends, the game shows Okafor slowly back peddling into position on defense, meanwhile I'm pressing every button on my controller to end it all and just get back to the action. Then as soon as it cuts back to the normal camera, I'm whistled for a 5 second call on the inbound, despite repeatedly pressing buttons left and right trying to get past the cut scenes/animations and get back to the game. Never end had a single chance to try and inbound the ball thanks to the game and it's constant highlights cut scenes.

A completely unnecessary turnover that never should have happened. Now, I do love this game. This my first NBA game since NBA Live 2006 back on PS2. So I am enjoying the hell out of it and wished I had bought this game sooner than just at the beginning of last month. I would have played the hell out of this game all winter and spring long if I had bought it back last year between when it came out and Christmas. However, it does have a lot of issues that while not necessarily game killers, are annoying as hell and can ruin individual games during My Player and Association Mode.

morsdraconis
06-21-2011, 07:39 AM
And just now, playing an Association game against New Orleans, Emeka Okafor catches a pass beneath the basket and slams it down on me, starting up a Moment of the Game animation and cut scene. After it ends, the game shows Okafor slowly back peddling into position on defense, meanwhile I'm pressing every button on my controller to end it all and just get back to the action. Then as soon as it cuts back to the normal camera, I'm whistled for a 5 second call on the inbound, despite repeatedly pressing buttons left and right trying to get past the cut scenes/animations and get back to the game. Never end had a single chance to try and inbound the ball thanks to the game and it's constant highlights cut scenes.

That's why I go into the presentation section in the options and turn all that shit off. It's annoying as hell to me anyway and it does have a tendency to cause stuff like that to happen.

I had one the other night where I was playing my Center My Player and fouled Dwight Howard but somehow it said that he fouled me instead (even though it was clearly on me) and it gave him the foul plus me free throws to shoot. It was really weird.

SmoothPancakes
06-21-2011, 07:55 AM
That's why I go into the presentation section in the options and turn all that shit off. It's annoying as hell to me anyway and it does have a tendency to cause stuff like that to happen.

I had one the other night where I was playing my Center My Player and fouled Dwight Howard but somehow it said that he fouled me instead (even though it was clearly on me) and it gave him the foul plus me free throws to shoot. It was really weird.

Yeah, that's most likely what I'm going to do. I've left it all on for now all this time, though set to only occasionally happen in the options, since I have had some really sick dunks and shots in Association mode and it's nice to see Moment of the Game and such pop up after an exceptionally great shot. But when it's causing me to have turnovers that should never happen in the first place, I think it's time to kill it.

And that's one thing I've noticed about 2K's games, at least in sports. Lots of little bugs and glitches that you normally wouldn't see happen in other games and just plain shouldn't see in general. I haven't owned a ton of 2K Sports games. Just NBA 2K11, MLB 2K9 and 2K10 and Top Spin 3 on the 360, and I only owned NHL 2K7 and 2K9 back in the PS2 days. So compared to EA and such for sports, my 2K experience is definitely less. But I have noticed a ton of bugs and glitches and other minor issues in 2K's games a lot more than you'd see in EA or other sports game producers.