PDA

View Full Version : Why don't more games have Online Career Mode?

psuexv
02-24-2011, 09:42 AM
Obviously NCAA does and has had it for a couple of years. Madden just got it this year.

But I know games like Tiger Woods and NHL don't have it, any particular reasons? Also are there other games that do have it? Nascar, MLB?

psuexv
02-24-2011, 09:43 AM
I do think one thing with games like NHL where there are a lot of games and multiple in a week, advances might be a little tricky since advancing after everyday would be cumbersome, but surely they could figure something out.

JBHuskers
02-24-2011, 10:04 AM
You're exactly right....tuning it for a weekly advance is easier than sports with a daily scheudle.

psuexv
02-24-2011, 10:42 AM
You're exactly right....tuning it for a weekly advance is easier than sports with a daily scheudle.

Yeah they could still do a weekly advance and everyone just has to play that weeks games.....the only thing would injuries or trades and I think that is probably a huge reason why. Now for a game like Nascar or TW, I don't see why it couldn't be done.

I've really wished they'd do a NCAA Basketball one but with that series pretty much dead I don't ever see that happening.

JBHuskers
02-24-2011, 10:44 AM
Another major reason is each dev cycle, you have a certain amount of cost that you have to implement and tune and make changes. The addition of this would be at a high cost.

steelerfan
02-24-2011, 12:19 PM
I wouldn't mess with online Be a GM on NHL unless it was with 1 or 2 close friends. Otherwise, it seems like an incredible headache.

JBHuskers
02-24-2011, 12:27 PM
Yeah I sure as hell don't want to be in a 32-team league like Madden. I would rather be in one with maybe 6-8 at the most, for both NHL and NBA.

psuexv
02-24-2011, 12:33 PM
Oh yeah, no way you could do every team. But 6-8 or 12 people like the NCAA dynasties would be awesome.

Edit - Especially in the playoffs... that would be awesome to battle through the playoffs.

I think the one I really, really want is TW. I'd love to play in tourneys especially the US Open or the Masters against people I know and climb the leaderboards for the #1 spot.

psusnoop
02-24-2011, 12:38 PM
I would like to see it done, be cool for NHL, NCAA Hoops and TW

steelerfan
02-24-2011, 12:51 PM
Injuries would be a problem and I, personally, don't want to play without them.

gschwendt
02-24-2011, 03:08 PM
Injuries would be a problem and I, personally, don't want to play without them.
Not necessarily... you would just have to be required to play the games in the order they are scheduled.

psuexv
02-24-2011, 03:11 PM
Not necessarily... you would just have to be required to play the games in the order they are scheduled.

Right but that would mean an advance after every day, which could be very long and cumbersome. If they did a weekly advance and everyone just had to get that weeks games in and then you could advance then injuries would be an issue.

JBHuskers
02-24-2011, 03:24 PM
Yeah I don't think a weekly advance would work within the NHL and NBA game infrastructure. Even in golf since there are multiple rounds, but that might be easier.

gschwendt
02-24-2011, 03:33 PM
Right but that would mean an advance after every day, which could be very long and cumbersome. If they did a weekly advance and everyone just had to get that weeks games in and then you could advance then injuries would be an issue.
Not necessarily. Let's say I've got the following schedule in a College Basketball game:

Monday vs HUMa opponent
Wednesday vs CPU opponent
Saturday vs HUMb opponent

In the above case, I would have to play HUMa opponent before playing either other game.
After that game, when I go to play my CPU game, it would check to see if the CPU team had an HUM opponents prior to playing me in that week. If the CPU team only had CPU opponents, it would use my console to sim all of that CPU team's games up to that point in the week and save the results. Then I would play against the CPU team. If the CPU team had HUM opponents, it would tell me I would have to wait until the CPU's HUM opponent game had been played and I could be notified when it's ready for me.
Then I could play my HUMb opponent assuming he had played all of his games for the week upto that point.

At the end of the week, the commissioner would advance and any games that weren't played would be simmed.

psuexv
02-24-2011, 03:51 PM
Not necessarily. Let's say I've got the following schedule in a College Basketball game:

Monday vs HUMa opponent

In the above case, I would have to play HUMa opponent before playing either other game.
After that game, when I go to play my CPU game, it would check to see if the CPU team had an HUM opponents prior to playing me in that week. If the CPU team only had CPU opponents, it would use my console to sim all of that CPU team's games up to that point in the week and save the results. Then I would play against the CPU team. If the CPU team had HUM opponents, it would tell me I would have to wait until the CPU's HUM opponent game had been played and I could be notified when it's ready for me.
Then I could play my HUMb opponent assuming he had played all of his games for the week upto that point.

At the end of the week, the commissioner would advance and any games that weren't played would be simmed.

Having read that I feel like Austin Powers explaining time travel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8w95xIdH4o

psuexv
02-24-2011, 04:03 PM

Monday vs HUMa opponent

I like it, not sure if they can program it though.

One thing I just thought of you almost have to consider CPU opponents that play each other and both teams play a human opponent as well. Say I'm the Celts and I play the Bulls on a Wednesday(in game day). You are Miami and have to play Orlando(CPU) on Monday. What if Orlando and the Bulls play each other in that week also but say Tuesday. If I played my game before you, that Bulls Magic game would get simmed and say Howard went down. That game should have technically been played after your game so Howard should be playing in your game.

Does this even make any sense.

gschwendt
02-24-2011, 04:20 PM
I like it, not sure if they can program it though.

One thing I just thought of you almost have to consider CPU opponents that play each other and both teams play a human opponent as well. Say I'm the Celts and I play the Bulls on a Wednesday(in game day). You are Miami and have to play Orlando(CPU) on Monday. What if Orlando and the Bulls play each other in that week also but say Tuesday. If I played my game before you, that Bulls Magic game would get simmed and say Howard went down. That game should have technically been played after your game so Howard should be playing in your game.

Does this even make any sense.
No, in your scenario, you wouldn't be able to play until after I've already played my game versus Orlando. After I've played it, you would start your game and it would sim the Orlando vs Chicago game.

It would suck because it would slow you down when you're wanting to play but that's about the only way you could do it.

psuexv
02-24-2011, 04:24 PM
No, in your scenario, you wouldn't be able to play until after I've already played my game versus Orlando. After I've played it, you would start your game and it would sim the Orlando vs Chicago game.

It would suck because it would slow you down when you're wanting to play but that's about the only way you could do it.

Right, so the system would have to scan all games CPU vs CPU, HUM vs HUM, and HUM vs CPU and look for commonalities and tell you if you can play. You start adding a bunch of teams and you're going to be really slow. The programming for it would be nuts.

I'd love it if they can make it happen though.

morsdraconis
02-24-2011, 04:36 PM
Right, so the system would have to scan all games CPU vs CPU, HUM vs HUM, and HUM vs CPU and look for commonalities and tell you if you can play. You start adding a bunch of teams and you're going to be really slow. The programming for it would be nuts.

I'd love it if they can make it happen though.

I don't think it would be that bad. G's explanation of how to get it to work sounds fine to me. It would just require the games to go back to a central hub that houses the Online Dynasty and constantly keep that centralized hub up to date (being updated anytime someone played a game against the CPU, a human player, or the commish advanced the week).

It's really no different than what NCAA's ODs do, just having to do it more often with people playing multiple games.

I think 2k could very easily pull it off with great success (if they can ever get their Online servers working properly to begin with).

JeffHCross
02-24-2011, 08:09 PM
Why don't more games have Online Career Mode?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ All of this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

steelerfan
02-25-2011, 03:29 AM
So, Tommy, let's say we're playing NHL. We both have 3 games in a given week. My 1st game is against NJD (Monday), and your 3rd game (Friday) is against NJD. You play your 3 before I do. When I play against NJD, Kovalchuck breaks his leg (on Monday) yet, as it played out, he played on Friday against you. How is that not a problem?

steelerfan
02-25-2011, 03:33 AM

If this is your answer to my question (now that I'm sorta read-up on previous posts), that's a PITA and I'm drunk.

gschwendt
02-25-2011, 08:33 AM
If this is your answer to my question (now that I'm sorta read-up on previous posts), that's a PITA and I'm drunk.
Yeah, that would be my answer. It's a PITA but that's about the only way you could do it.

SmoothPancakes
02-25-2011, 09:41 AM
Yeah, no matter how you try to do it, you're looking at pretty much a PITA. It would be fun to do a league in NHL, get some of us who have been playing NHL 11 teamed up in a league or something, but no matter how you try to shake it, it'll still seemingly be a logistical nightmare compared to NCAA or Madden, which unfortunately for me, working in radio with my hours always being completely different from one week to the next due to sports or various remotes, would kill any chance of every being able to successfully stick around in a league like that.

JBHuskers
02-25-2011, 09:45 AM
I'd definitely play NHL more if that was the case.

cdj
02-25-2011, 09:48 AM
One of the NCAA Basketball devs also mentioned that while they realized Online Dynasty would be welcomed by the community, the logistics of it were a big hang-up.

I also agree that while it would be a pain, they'd almost have to allow games to be played out of order in the one week schedule in long season sports leagues.

JBHuskers
02-25-2011, 10:02 AM
Depends on how easy it is to sync the out of order games.

gschwendt
02-25-2011, 10:07 AM
One of the NCAA Basketball devs also mentioned that while they realized Online Dynasty would be welcomed by the community, the logistics of it were a big hang-up.

I also agree that while it would be a pain, they'd almost have to allow games to be played out of order in the one week schedule in long season sports leagues.Maybe design it to be optional per online league. You could either take the PITA or deal with inaccurate injuries.

psuexv
02-25-2011, 10:13 AM
Maybe design it to be optional per online league. You could either take the PITA or deal with inaccurate injuries.

Or turn injuries off, which would stink but an easy way around all the logistics of it. It would be a start at least.

cdj
02-25-2011, 10:14 AM
Maybe design it to be optional per online league. You could either take the PITA or deal with inaccurate injuries.

Depending on the game/sport, some Online Dynasties/Franchises might shut injuries off just to avoid the issue. (EA Canada's NCAA Basketball & NBA Live/Elite never had injuries in user-controlled games anyway, only in simulated.)

steelerfan
02-25-2011, 02:59 PM
I can't imagine an 82-game season with no injuries. I may as well just play the games offline, have someone else play theirs (as Play Now) and keep the stats in a notebook.

JBHuskers
02-25-2011, 03:05 PM
I can't imagine an 82-game season with no injuries. I may as well just play the games offline, have someone else play theirs (as Play Now) and keep the stats in a notebook.

Imagine the NBA game the past few years :D

steelerfan
02-25-2011, 03:08 PM
Imagine the NBA game the past few years :D

That blows.

morsdraconis
02-26-2011, 06:22 AM
How is waiting for someone to play a game anymore of a PITA that way than having to wait for your bye week in Ncaa? It's not THAT big of a deal and there would be plenty of weeks where everyone wasn't playing the same teams and stuff.

JeffHCross
02-26-2011, 11:12 AM
How is waiting for someone to play a game anymore of a PITA that way than having to wait for your bye week in Ncaa?82 game season versus 12 game season is what comes to mind for me. Powerhouse is one of the faster moving Online Dynasties in my eyes, and we're currently in Season 6. That means we've completed roughly 60 regular season games so far. It takes us around a week every season to get through all of the post-season and off-season stuff, so maybe you subtract a month from today. The dynasty started on August 1 ... so you're talking roughly 6 months for 60 games. That means an 82 game season, at that speed, would take 8 months for one season.

morsdraconis
02-26-2011, 01:46 PM
82 game season versus 12 game season is what comes to mind for me. Powerhouse is one of the faster moving Online Dynasties in my eyes, and we're currently in Season 6. That means we've completed roughly 60 regular season games so far. It takes us around a week every season to get through all of the post-season and off-season stuff, so maybe you subtract a month from today. The dynasty started on August 1 ... so you're talking roughly 6 months for 60 games. That means an 82 game season, at that speed, would take 8 months for one season.

Yes, but, in my mind, it would be like for Madden's Online Franchise stuff, you're better served to get 5-6 people instead of 7-12 (or more) so that it's less likely to revolve around having to wait for other people to play games and such.

Really, I think the idea of going with this type of thing for College Basketball would work MUCH better than for NBA (and I REALLY hope someone brings a College Basketball game back next season). You have ~32 games a season to play and most of the time you are playing 2-3 games a week (sometimes more if you're in one of the big in-season tournaments) plus March Madness at the end of the year. At most, it would probably be about as long as a normal season of NCAA Football takes most ODs to do and, the epicness of meeting up in March Madness at the end of the year would make for some seriously intense basketball to culminate in a true champion among the people playing in the dynasty.

For the NBA season, yes, an OD wouldn't work very well with an 82 game season, but it would work great for a 52 game season (or whatever the downsized number of games is that you can do). They could do the scheduling still 2-3 games a week to keep the advances in the 15-20 week range just like it normally is with NCAA Football after you deal with all the offseason stuff and such and it would be plenty of games to make most of them matter for playoffs standings and such without it being horrible if people have to occasionally have a CPU game or two simmed.

JeffHCross
02-26-2011, 02:43 PM
Right, but if you look at some of the posts above, there's a headache involved with advancing "weekly" (which, I believe, was the PITA that steelerfan was talking about). Injuries and the like would basically necessitate advancing after every game. Blech.

steelerfan
02-26-2011, 03:09 PM
Maybe a daily advance wouldn't be too bad if the game would auto-advance. In other words, when the last User game is done, the game automatically skips to the next day with User games. The Commish could still push an advance to offset slackers (every OD has one).

I think I'd prefer this to a weekly advance and I KNOW I'd prefer it to any system that eliminates injuries. This would keep things moving pretty nicely, I think.

psuexv
02-28-2011, 10:24 AM
Maybe a daily advance wouldn't be too bad if the game would auto-advance. In other words, when the last User game is done, the game automatically skips to the next day with User games. The Commish could still push an advance to offset slackers (every OD has one).

I think I'd prefer this to a weekly advance and I KNOW I'd prefer it to any system that eliminates injuries. This would keep things moving pretty nicely, I think.

That's actually a nice idea, an automated advance.

steelerfan
02-28-2011, 10:35 AM
That's actually a nice idea, an automated advance.

Yeah. I think we get caught up in the way NCAA does things. It can be done differently, particularly in a professional league (no recruiting). Scouting and trade offers etc. could be done whenever you login. There's no need to have everyone say they are ready to advance. When they games are done, the advance should be automatic. Maybe give the commish the ability to stop auto-advance too, like around the trade deadline, to give everyone a few days to get deals done.

psuexv
02-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Yeah or for a game like Tiger Woods, you have registration period for tournaments. You can sign up for a tourney a month before the tourney takes place, once it auto advances to that day the registration is over and once all players played their rounds it auto advanced.

psuexv
12-09-2011, 04:18 PM
So I'm bumping this since I've heard the NBA2K seems to have it and a bunch of guys on here are in a league. Thoughts? Is it feasible for other games? What needs to change, etc......

JBHuskers
12-09-2011, 04:24 PM
Yeah it's definitely feasible. Especially when it allows you to play ahead.

JeffHCross
12-10-2011, 11:34 AM
So I'm bumping this since I've heard the NBA2K seems to have it and a bunch of guys on here are in a league. Thoughts? Is it feasible for other games? What needs to change, etc......I haven't played it, of course, but based on some of the comments I've heard about NBA 2k, it seems like 1) 2k didn't do a very good job of making it obvious what is going on / how to change things / etc, and communication is KEY in an Online Career Mode; and 2) There seem to be, to me, a lot of openings for easy ways to game the system, especially injuries. I may be wrong, though.