PDA

View Full Version : NHL 11 Thread

Pages : [1] 2

steelerfan
05-26-2010, 12:58 PM
I don't know if anyone here is keeping up with this title, but for me it is the only "must have" game every year along with NCAA.

Well, a few days ago, the Canadian Hockey League (CHL) was confirmed to be in the game. The CHL is comprised of 60 teams from the WHL, OHL and QMJHL (Western Hockey League, Ontario Hockey League and Quebec Major Junior Hockey League). EA reached a 4 year agreement that allows them to use all the team names, logos, league structures and player likenesses (16-20 year olds compete in this developmental league).

All I can say is WOW! This is going to add more depth to Be a GM Mode (and Be a Pro) than has ever been in any sports title. I can't wait!

JBHuskers
05-27-2010, 10:34 AM
Pastapadre just posted this:

http://www.pastapadre.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/ncaahockeylg.jpg

EA Sports and the NCAA could be close to announcing a licensing agreement that would introduce college hockey into the NHL series. Paul Kelly of College Hockey Inc. has stated that the NCAA has been in talks with EA Sports for some time now and are close to reaching that agreement. Along with college teams a deal would also include Canadian major junior teams.

Recently the inclusion of the CHL was announced for NHL 11. It is unclear whether adding an NCAA component would be possible in the time remaining for NHL 11’s development. So while a deal looks to be likely it could be that college teams end up debuting in NHL 12.

This would be f'n awesome. Start your Be A Pro in college, try to make the Frozen Four, then get drafted and head to the minors to try to make the pros. That would be absolute money.

UGA14
05-27-2010, 10:36 AM
Holy cow NHL is getting better each year.

JBHuskers
05-27-2010, 10:41 AM
It's not sure if it will be in NHL 11. But if it is....DAMN. I think it is definitely in the realm, considering the community was just last week. It definitely could have been one of the wow additions for the year.

steelerfan
05-27-2010, 10:46 AM
This would be f'n awesome. Start your Be A Pro in college, try to make the Frozen Four, then get drafted and head to the minors to try to make the pros. That would be absolute money.

DAMN! I had heard speculation on this recently but didn't believe anything would be announced so soon or this year at all. Wow!

And, actually, in BAP you'd start as a 16 yr old playing Juniors. Then, at 18, either continue playing Junior, college, minor or straight to the NHL depending on what's available to you. That is nuts, good find JB. Thanks!

JBHuskers
05-27-2010, 10:47 AM
Yeah Be A Pro and EASHL are the two biggest things I play, and this made me drool.

steelerfan
05-27-2010, 10:53 AM
I won't complain at all if the CHL is all that's added this year, but if they do get NCAA in to this will far-and-away be the most complete sports game ever. Just imagining the possibilities for BAP and BAGM is making me feel like an anuerysm is coming on. WOW!!!!

Kev5890
06-12-2010, 08:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI4CDCyF53o&feature=player_embedded

JBHuskers
06-12-2010, 02:15 PM
Day one buy for me. Faceoffs sound AWESOME....so do the broken sticks. That is very cool that you'll have to go to the bench to grab another.

steelerfan
06-13-2010, 02:13 PM
NHL is my all-time favorite series. NCAA held that torch during the dark days of NHL several years ago. I have more fun playing NHL year-in and year-out than any other game. I can't wait for September!

Kingpin32
06-13-2010, 02:17 PM
I've never played a NHL game since the 90s, but I think I'll be buying this when it comes out.

steelerfan
06-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Apparently, video goal reviews will be in 11. Nice add...

cdj
06-14-2010, 01:07 AM
Wow, that looks really good.

cdj
06-14-2010, 07:28 PM
It appears the Blackhawks' Jonathan Toews is the NHL 11 cover athlete: http://www.operationsports.com/newspost.php?id=419679

steelerfan
06-15-2010, 12:46 AM
It appears the Blackhawks' Jonathan Toews is the NHL 11 cover athlete: http://www.operationsports.com/newspost.php?id=419679

Not that it really matters, but I'm surprised they'd put a Blackhawk on the cover 2 years in a row.

KidShowtime
06-21-2010, 11:14 PM
Cover announcement and new Trailer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhlnL7Aqk2A

steelerfan
06-21-2010, 11:35 PM
Thanks for posting that, Kid. It's time for NCAA to release already so I can focus on something other than NHL for awhile.

;)

JBHuskers
06-22-2010, 12:27 AM
I'm excited to get my hands on that new faceoff system. Which I'll probably get owned on for a couple months :(

jaymo76
06-22-2010, 12:47 AM
Great trailer! Perhaps I will throw my hat back into NHL gaming this year.

SmoothPancakes
06-23-2010, 06:26 AM
Great trailer! Perhaps I will throw my hat back into NHL gaming this year.

Same here. I haven't played NHL since 2006 or something, it's been at least a good 4 or 5 years. So from reading and watching about this year's game, I think it's time to add NHL to my yearly buys along with NCAA, starting with this year.

cdj
06-23-2010, 05:50 PM
Live NHL 11 dev chat in 10 minutes: http://nhl.easports.com/livechat.action

steelerfan
06-23-2010, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the head's up, cdj. I got in but didn't get any of my questions answered. Not much I hadn't heard already.

cdj
06-29-2010, 12:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsFhhMdDVXI

jaymo76
07-24-2010, 10:46 PM
I have been reading up on NHL 11 today and I think this is a day one purchase for me. I haven't bought a hockey game since 2k7 and I haven't owned an EA Hockey game since NHL 94 (greatest NHL game of its time). However, this game just looks amazing. Now I hear the hot rumour that RFA's are in the game making the free agency situation very realistic. Combine that with real time physics, the addition of the CHL, awesome stanley cup celebrations, and a whole bunch of little gameplay additions, this may well be the sports game of 2010.

I think what I am most looking forward to though is that I haven't played this series in years so everything will be fresh, new, and exciting.

JeffHCross
07-24-2010, 11:51 PM
NHL 11 should be amazing. I'm not sure if it will be a Day One purchase for me ... depends on how deep our Dynasty is going by that point. Last year I enjoyed it but couldn't get into it long-term.

steelerfan
07-25-2010, 12:36 PM
NHL is always a release day purchase for me. For several years I have basically stopped playing NCAA in September when NHL drops. This year, I think NCAA will stay in the fold much longer than it has recently. That's not to say that NHL won't be great, it will. I'm sure it will win several more SGotY awards. But I'm enjoying NCAA more, so far, than I have since probably '05.

JeffHCross
08-01-2010, 12:42 AM
Freaking awesome. And incredibly creative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu3tP-87zmU

jaymo76
08-01-2010, 01:05 AM
No Madden for me means a lot more NCAA and NHL!

jaymo76
08-02-2010, 11:37 PM
Rumour of the day is that this week will be the release date for all of the upgrades to BE A GM MODE/FRANCHISE MODE. I am really looking forward to this...

steelerfan
08-02-2010, 11:39 PM
You and me both, Jaymo. :nod:

jaymo76
08-03-2010, 10:02 PM
Saw these screens for NHL ULtimate team... Notice TEAM & LINE CHEMISTRY.... could we see this transfer over to Be a GM Mode???

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/111/1110238/nhl-11-20100803050354870.jpg

JeffHCross
08-03-2010, 11:21 PM
Oh geez, I hope not. Every time Chemistry gets involved, I don't enjoy it ...

jaymo76
08-03-2010, 11:48 PM
Oh geez, I hope not. Every time Chemistry gets involved, I don't enjoy it ...

Really? I thought that 2k8 did an excellent job with its implementation and it forced me to change things up to try and get my 3rd/4th line guys going. I still remember with Ottawa I had a 19 or 20 game strtch where Alfredsson had zero points. He was a line killer and I actually had him on my 4th line for awhile. If EA could do it like 2k did I would find this a welcome addition... though I would hope you could turn it off as an option.

JeffHCross
08-03-2010, 11:52 PM
I don't believe I played 2k8. To put it simply, I've played a handful of games that tried to represent Team Chemistry, and I've yet to see it done well. I'm sure it could be (and maybe 2k8 did it), but I've never been a fan.

jaymo76
08-04-2010, 12:28 AM
I don't believe I played 2k8. To put it simply, I've played a handful of games that tried to represent Team Chemistry, and I've yet to see it done well. I'm sure it could be (and maybe 2k8 did it), but I've never been a fan.

I really liked 2k8 with regards to franchise. Now only if it didn't freeze at the 60 game mark it may well have been a truly excellent hockey title. I guess hockey chemistry is very much like NCAA discipline. Some like it, some don't. This is why OPTIONAL is crucial for games. Give people like you and I the option of playing with it or not. :)

steelerfan
08-04-2010, 12:44 AM
EA's series had chemistry on last gen. I think it can be great for franchise. It's hard to replicate what happens in hockey. As it is now, there's no reason to ever put your slower, less skilled checking line on the ice against a talented scoring line. Maybe this would lend itself to building a team and not just grabbing all the skill guys and scorers you can get your hands on.

jaymo76
08-04-2010, 03:13 AM
EA's series had chemistry on last gen. I think it can be great for franchise. It's hard to replicate what happens in hockey. As it is now, there's no reason to ever put your slower, less skilled checking line on the ice against a talented scoring line. Maybe this would lend itself to building a team and not just grabbing all the skill guys and scorers you can get your hands on.

That's a really good point.

steelerfan
08-04-2010, 06:19 AM
That's a really good point.

Thanks.

To expand on that, you see NHL coaches put their "energy line" out to maintain or change momentum. As a Penguins fan, I can attest to the fact that the 3rd and 4th lines were pivitol in the '09 Final. The little things matter so much in hockey. A timely hit, getting under the oppositions skin, winning battles in the corner, blocking shots, going to the net, wreaking havoc on the opposing netminder, drawing penalties and so on.

I'm not saying chemistry will make all those things relevant, but it may be a step in the right direction. In videogameland, having fire power is everything. Look no further than the Capitals for evidence that the postseason is about so much more. I'd love to think that I'd be better off with a 4th line grinder who is content with his role than a 3rd line goal scorer who is upset he's not on the top 2 lines. Make me build a team whose whole is greater than the sum of it's parts.

If they can accomplish that and make me want my heavy hitters on the ice at certain crucial moments, I'd be on cloud nine.

jaymo76
08-04-2010, 10:22 PM
Here's some more info for online dynasty.

http://www.easports.com/blogs/inthecrease/post/slug/eauhl-the-biggest-online-dynasty-ever

The last line of that blog has me very excited!!! A major Be a GM announcement coming soon...

steelerfan
08-05-2010, 01:24 AM
Thanks for posting that, Jaymo. I doubt I'd play in the EAUHL, but who knows? I, too, am excited about Be A GM.

jaymo76
08-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Thanks for posting that, Jaymo. I doubt I'd play in the EAUHL, but who knows? I, too, am excited about Be A GM.

Yeah zero interest in the EAUHL... I don't do online at all. I guess I am a dinosaur on that one but I don't want the stress and hastle of playing online. I jst want to fire up the game and play.

cdj
08-05-2010, 07:53 PM
A new blog from today: An In-Depth Look at the EA SPORTS Ultimate Hockey League (http://www.easports.com/blogs/inthecrease/post/slug/an-in-depth-look-at-the-ea-sports-ultimate-hockey-league)

cdj
08-06-2010, 04:21 PM
The NHL 2K11 release date has been pushed to August 24 (http://twitter.com/Ronnie2K/status/20498095488) according to the 2K Community Manager....I wonder if that means the same for NHL 11.

jaymo76
08-06-2010, 04:32 PM
The NHL 2K11 release date has been pushed to August 24 (http://twitter.com/Ronnie2K/status/20498095488) according to the 2K Community Manager....I wonder if that means the same for NHL 11.

I don't know if they would want to bite into Madden sales... especially since a good chink of people have stated they plan to pass on Madden 11...??? Plus, 2k is only for Wii so I don't think EA is too concerned about that console.

steelerfan
08-06-2010, 08:01 PM
2k has never even been on my radar. In any year.

cdj
08-06-2010, 08:39 PM
I don't know if they would want to bite into Madden sales... especially since a good chink of people have stated they plan to pass on Madden 11...??? Plus, 2k is only for Wii so I don't think EA is too concerned about that console.

I forgot that it is Wii only this year! Still surprised that they were able to move up release though. IIRC, the other sports leagues like MLB & the NBA say their games can come up on a certain date and that applies to all licensees.

JeffHCross
08-06-2010, 09:47 PM
I'm fairly sure the NHL is just decently happy to get licensees and wouldn't be foolish enough to dictate terms.

jaymo76
08-07-2010, 12:14 AM
I'm fairly sure the NHL is just decently happy to get licensees and wouldn't be foolish enough to dictate terms.

Ah you would be refering to the "quality" leadership of Commissioner Gary Bettman I presume...

JeffHCross
08-07-2010, 12:56 AM
Ah you would be refering to the "quality" leadership of Commissioner Gary Bettman I presume...I honestly don't feel one way or another about Bettman. He's doesn't seem like a commanding presence, and he's surely not respected by the fans. But I see the exact same thing from Stern and Selig. The only commissioner I even respect right now is Roger Goodell, and that's because he's had the cojones to stand up to his players.

Bettman's in a lose-lose situation, honestly. It's been the 4th-most popular sport, if that, for a very long time, and the league is still really recovering from the strike, even though that seems forever ago. The deal with Versus hasn't helped matters either, as practically no one knows where to watch games anymore.

That said, I thought this year was one of the best years the NHL has had in a long time. The Olympics helped the popularity of the league, and then a great Cup playoffs on top of that ...

JeffHCross
08-07-2010, 10:48 AM
For those playing NHL 11, keep an eye on this site. I used his rosters last year, and they were very impressive. Even more impressive was his collection of Stadium music, including specific goal and entrance songs for every team. It's a pain in the ass to setup, but it's great to use when it's done.

http://sites.google.com/site/nhlrosters/

jaymo76
08-07-2010, 06:48 PM
By the way JeffH... I've been meaning to ask, what's a guy from Virginia doing liking hockey? LOL. I have no choice, as I'm Canadian, but what's your excuse? I wouldn't think your area isn't much of a hockey hotbed is it?

JeffHCross
08-07-2010, 08:38 PM
By the way JeffH... I've been meaning to ask, what's a guy from Virginia doing liking hockey? LOL. I have no choice, as I'm Canadian, but what's your excuse? I wouldn't think your area isn't much of a hockey hotbed is it?Actually, it is, thanks to the Caps. At least, Northern Virginia is.

But my hockey love goes all the way back to when I was young, which was in Ohio. I saw a Bowling Green hockey game as a kid, a guy got checked into the boards just as I was walking by, and I got hooked. Wanted to play roller hockey as a kid, but never got a chance. Worked for a United Hockey League team during college, which just sold the love even more.

jaymo76
08-10-2010, 08:12 PM
Here's a new "blog" and I use that term lightly, about some new equipment.

http://www.easports.com/blogs/inthecrease/post/slug/goalie-gear-with-gurn-brians

Some of the stuff looks pretty authentic.

ram29jackson
08-10-2010, 08:16 PM
freaking September 7th ????

Blackhawks just won the Stanley - Football starts soon- hockey not till october for crying out loud

JeffHCross
08-10-2010, 08:23 PM
September 21st are the first games, actually.

steelerfan
08-10-2010, 08:34 PM
Thanks for posting that Jaymo.

This game has always shipped in September. It's no different than Madden shipping in August and it's certainly less ridiculous than NCAA shipping in July.

ram29jackson
08-10-2010, 08:37 PM
September 21st are the first games, actually.

:P that doesnt make me wrong, it just makes me 9-10 days off:P

hockeys not on my radar till like November- I live in California anyway haha

steelerfan
08-10-2010, 08:43 PM
Ha, I live in Texas and consider every day without hockey a waste.

ram29jackson
08-10-2010, 08:50 PM
Ha, I live in Texas and consider every day without hockey a waste.

ok, lets do the math people....mmm... A Steeler fan who loves hockey and lives in Texas, where football is king... and the Steelers own the 2 out of 3 head to head series in football Super Bowl history.........mmm

steelerfan
08-10-2010, 09:58 PM
ok, lets do the math people....mmm... A Steeler fan who loves hockey and lives in Texas, where football is king... and the Steelers own the 2 out of 3 head to head series in football Super Bowl history.........mmm

Yep. I've spent 31 of my 36 years in Houston. Ages 0-2 and 11-13 were in Cleveland. Ha!

jaymo76
08-10-2010, 11:31 PM
Not related to 11 but it's too good to pass on: Okay so get this... I was just listening to sports talk radio and apparently Florida is so desperate to have people in the stands that they are doing a "priceline-esque" season ticket policy. You find the tickets you want in the building and then you submit an an online offer. Within 24 hours you get your response and there is NO PRICE BOTTOM!!! You could potentially get season tix for like $400. I can't take my family to a Vancouver Canucks game for that price (good seat for ONE GAME is about $120.00). Throw in food and parking and well, you get the idea.

Gary B... the dream is over buddy. It's time to cut loose NHL hockey in Florida. Most of these deep south markets just aren't working out. Now I hear that the NHL is really pushing to have the first pro team in Vegas... (shakes head slowly...)...

JeffHCross
08-11-2010, 10:03 PM
To be fair, none of the sports do very well in Florida, it seems like. Obviously most Florida teams are doing better than the NHL teams are, but across the board it's pretty bad.

jaymo76
08-12-2010, 04:34 PM
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/nhl-11/achievements/

This is huge. Check out the 360 achievements. Specifically "POACHED." Yes sir, we have RFA's in Be A GM Mode for NHL 11. Finally.... Madden 12, looking at you kid!!!

cdj
08-12-2010, 04:48 PM
Dev chat in 10 minutes (http://nhl.easports.com/livechat.action) covering Hockey Ultimate Team and demo details

jaymo76
08-12-2010, 07:02 PM
August 17th demo. I look forward to playing this one. Philly vs Chicago in Battle of for Cup mode should really showcase the new physics engine.

JeffHCross
08-12-2010, 08:54 PM
Battle for the Cup Mode needs to be copied, at least for demos, by every other EA Sports team. Such a good mode for the demo.

cdj
08-17-2010, 08:18 AM
Demo is out now on 360, later today for PS3. Anyone try it yet?

jaymo76
08-17-2010, 11:31 AM
Have PS3 so not until later but I am really looking forward to seeing how it plays. All this talk about real-time physics sounds very exciting.

steelerfan
08-17-2010, 12:03 PM
Same here. PS3. I'm sure I'll play the demo over and over tonight!

SmoothPancakes
08-17-2010, 12:13 PM
Damn, I didn't even realize the demo was out today. Going to be downloading it RIGHT now.

SmoothPancakes
08-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Definitely loving Battle for the Cup mode right now. I've played two series so far, won Game 7 6-3 (was 4-3 when I got in game at the start of the 3rd quarter and scored two to get some much needed breathing room), and then won Game 7 in the second go with a 1-0 victory. Something tells me I'm probably going to end up playing this most of the night.

steelerfan
08-17-2010, 04:55 PM
Downloading PS3 Demo now!!

jaymo76
08-17-2010, 05:21 PM
Downloading PS3 Demo now!!

right behind you brother! Can't wait...

steelerfan
08-17-2010, 05:29 PM
right behind you brother! Can't wait...

65%.... Come on already!!! Lol!

I OU a Beatn
08-17-2010, 06:36 PM
Currently downloading. Never played an NHL game on PS3 before, but this will probably be my first. I've always loved watching hockey, just never got into it gaming wise. Perhaps that will change.

jaymo76
08-17-2010, 09:22 PM
I've only played one game BUT I was thoroughly impressed. In truth all the talk of physics... didn't feel too different to me BUT the hitting and physics is another story. One word about physics and hitting into the board: AWESOME!!! Pronger absolutely destroyed Kane into the side.... I could literally feel the hit. Though I only played the demo last year I think this will be a no-brainer purchase for me. This game is so deep and plays so well. I'm really impressed... the biggest challenge... my NHL skills sure are not on par with my NCAA skills (I had zero goals and only 7 shots + 2 penalties).

Only thing I don't like.... ALL EA SPORTS (Madden, NHL, etc.) games now start with logging on to EAsports.com.... just let me play the game...

Kingpin32
08-17-2010, 09:28 PM
I've played one game and won it in OT. It took me most of the period to learn how to shoot. I still got to figure out the defense, such as stealing the puck, and on offense how to do the fancy moves.

But I will say that I'm very impressed with the game, and I will definitely consider purchasing it when it comes out.

steelerfan
08-17-2010, 09:45 PM
I went into the HELP menu. The only thing it mentioned that hadn't been rumored or confirmed (to my knowledge) was the ability to trade draft picks 6 years into the future. Can't wait for 9/7!!

jaymo76
08-17-2010, 10:17 PM
I went into the HELP menu. The only thing it mentioned that hadn't been rumored or confirmed (to my knowledge) was the ability to trade draft picks 6 years into the future. Can't wait for 9/7!!

Combine that with the RFA's announcement and the Be A GM mode is looking excellent.

steelerfan
08-17-2010, 11:08 PM
Combine that with the RFA's announcement and the Be A GM mode is looking excellent.

Yep. And it specifically mentions RFAs and draft pick compensation in the HELP menu.

SmoothPancakes
08-18-2010, 04:46 AM

Definitely. Now I am 100% certain, after playing the demo and everything going on with Be A GM mode, putting in a preorder for this game back in June was the best decision I made.

steelerfan
08-18-2010, 09:38 AM
Surprisingly, I'm having fun with HUT on the demo. I still doubt I'll mess with it much once the game drops, but I can now see how it could be fun. It'll probably be ruined by cheese though.

jaymo76
08-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Definitely. Now I am 100% certain, after playing the demo and everything going on with Be A GM mode, putting in a preorder for this game back in June was the best decision I made.

Yeah everyday this game looks better and better. With Steelerfan mentioning the multi-year draft picks/trads this will be the deepest NEXT GEN franchise ever!

psusnoop
08-18-2010, 12:03 PM
I'm pumped to download this tonight, didn't get a chance to download it this last night.

jaymo76
08-18-2010, 02:25 PM
Okay... after playing the demo a bunch of times today I am just going to say it: this game SHOULD win Sports game of the year hands down. It won't win... bias judging will give it to Madden but I am just amazed by this game. It is so compelling to play.

1. Action cam~ best camera in sports IMO
2. Depth of on the fly strat pad
3. Excellent intros
4. Amazing stanley cup presentation
5. Big hits via physics
6. Crisp passing
7. 1 million and one sliders
8. Excellent stat overlays
9. Realistic face-off mechanism

This may be the most excited I am for a release (didn't buy a hockey game last year and haven't bought an EA game for a decade). The learning curve on this game will be a challenge for those new to the genre but I think you will love it if you give it a chance.

steelerfan
08-18-2010, 03:44 PM
I will be 20 for 20 on versions of the NHL series I have purchased when NHL 11 drops. I have seen it all. The last 3 years have been fantastic. There is so much to do in this game. I don't play BAP or EASHL much but I can understand why those modes are big draws. This series has won 22 SGotY awards in the last few years and they don't look to be complacent at all.

The HUT looks like it's done very well and I'll give it a look this year.

Usually, since they added the AHL, I start a BAGM with Minnesota as soon as I get the game. I use the Wild because their affiliate is the Houston Aeros. I'll go through and play an entire season with the Aeros using that time to adjust sliders.

After a year with Houston, I'll start a new BAGM with Pittsburgh and play an entire season with the Penguins.

I'm extremely excited about the addition of the entire CHL (OHL, WHL and QMJHL) to NHL 11. With the AHL and several Euro Leagues already in place and negotiations ongoing with the NCAA for 12, this game just keeps getting deeper. I'm curious to see how the CHL is implemented into BAGM and I may have to add a season with a CHL team to my to do list. I've never heard any talk of adding the KHL and I wonder, quite frankly, if the NHL would poo-poo on that possibility. If they ever added the KHL and the USHL (along with the expected add of the NCAA), I may never leave the house!

I would like to see the Euro Leagues meshed into BAGM so you could let draft picks "stay home" to develop (particularly those who aren't CHL eligible) and so that top Euro players would be under contract overseas and not be available as FAs.

Physics are big for checking along with allowing EA to properly implement broken and dropped sticks. I can see a difference in the puck physics too and the new faceoff system is deep, realistic and fun. I'm also noticing that the dump-and-chase looks like it will finally be worth using this year. I've had much more success getting to a puck in the corner after a dump than last year.

For those who are new to the series or haven't played in a long time or who generally struggle to score, I have two suggestions. When the retail version becomes available, try setting Shot Aim to AUTO. I've played this game for 20 years and I still use it most of the time because I don't like having my player skate in the direction I'm aiming after he shoots. Sometimes it takes him out of position for a rebound. Also, don't underestimate the importance of shooting from the point. Between deflections and rebounds, it's a very effective way to bolster your attack. When the game drops, I'd strongly recommend creating plays too. Everyone I know that doesn't play the game because they "can't score" doesn't use this feature.

Kingpin32
08-18-2010, 03:58 PM
After playing it more, the more I like this game. I think if I get it, I'll most likely start a GM mode with the Stars, since they're in Dallas and it's really the only hockey team I keep up with.

jaymo76
08-18-2010, 04:11 PM
I will be 20 for 20 on versions of the NHL series I have purchased when NHL 11 drops. I have seen it all. The last 3 years have been fantastic. There is so much to do in this game. I don't play BAP or EASHL much but I can understand why those modes are big draws. This series has won 22 SGotY awards in the last few years and they don't look to be complacent at all.

Usually, since they added the AHL, I start a BAGM with Minnesota as soon as I get the game. I use the Wild because their affiliate is the Houston Aeros. I'll go through and play an entire season with the Aeros using that time to adjust sliders.

After a year with Houston, I'll start a new BAGM with Pittsburgh and play an entire season with the Penguins.

I'm extremely excited about the addition of the entire CHL (OHL, WHL and QMJHL) to NHL 11. With the AHL and several Euro Leagues already in place and negotiations ongoing with the NCAA for 12, this game just keeps getting deeper. I'm curious to see how the CHL is implemented into BAGM and I may have to add a season with a CHL team to my to do list. I've never heard any talk of adding the KHL and I wonder, quite frankly, if the NHL would poo-poo on that possibility. If they ever added the KHL and the USHL (along with the expected add of the NCAA), I may never leave the house!

I would like to see the Euro Leagues meshed into BAGM so you could let draft picks "stay home" to develop (particularly those who aren't CHL eligible) and so that top Euro players would be under contract overseas and not be available as FAs.

Physics are big for checking along with allowing EA to properly implement broken and dropped sticks. I can see a difference in the puck physics too and the new faceoff system is deep, realistic and fun. I'm also noticing that the dump-and-chase looks like it will finally be worth using this year. I've had much more success getting to a puck in the corner after a dump than last year.

For those who are new to the series or haven't played in a long time or who generally struggle to score, I have two suggestions. When the retail version becomes available, try setting Shot Aim to AUTO. I've played this game for 20 years and I still use it most of the time because I don't like having my player skate in the direction I'm aiming after he shoots. Sometimes it takes him out of position for a rebound. Also, don't underestimate the importance of shooting from the point. Between deflections and rebounds, it's a very effective way to bolster your attack. When the game drops, I'd strongly recommend creating plays too. Everyone I know that doesn't play the game because they "can't score" doesn't use this feature.

I'm gonna do the homer thing this year and be a GM for Vancouver. My first priority is to figure out a way to acquire Sharpe from the Blackhawks without imploding my team.

cdj
08-18-2010, 06:23 PM
New blog on goalie gear (http://www.easports.com/blogs/inthecrease/post/slug/goalie-gear-with-gurn-tps-sher-wood-and-warrior).

cdj
08-18-2010, 06:26 PM

I'll keep that in mind. If I had any kind of offense, I'd probably be into the franchise more. Offense has always been my weakness on NHL.

steelerfan
08-19-2010, 01:13 PM
A few other things that that have trickled out for NHL 11:

* 7 Round draft for BAP (presumably for BAGM also)
* improved trade logic to limit the movement of star players
* up to 5 players-per-team in trades (logical add with having 6 years of draft picks at your disposal)
* decreased liklihood of good players sitting in FA pool too long
* more player movement at the minor league level
* cap conscious teams more likely to move first-liners that are pending UFAs

Sounds good to me! This is from Game Informer's September issue, btw.

steelerfan
08-19-2010, 05:03 PM
I'm gonna do the homer thing this year and be a GM for Vancouver. My first priority is to figure out a way to acquire Sharpe from the Blackhawks without imploding my team.

I thought about this off and on since I first read it. Now, I just have to ask.

What is making you want to target Patrick Sharp so badly? Don't get me wrong, he's a good player. Just kind of an odd guy to target as 'the guy'.

Kingpin32
08-19-2010, 09:42 PM
After watching a replay of the Red Wings and Penguins 2009 Stanley Cup Final, I really want to play this game now.

jaymo76
08-20-2010, 01:01 AM
I thought about this off and on since I first read it. Now, I just have to ask.

What is making you want to target Patrick Sharp so badly? Don't get me wrong, he's a good player. Just kind of an odd guy to target as 'the guy'.

Good question... not a great answer on my part I suspect: I just really like the guy. He a proven, soldid 25-35 goal scorer with untapped potential, has decent speed, is a strong defensive presence and is a frequent short-handed goal threat, is a strong power play specialist,etc. Plus, over the last two seasons he has really come into his own as a player and a leader. I really got to appreciate him watching the 2008 IIHF championship (silver with Canada). I like his hustle and his committment to the play (7 short handed goals, 5 PP goals, etc).

My "goal" of you pardon the pun is to make him the Captain and be LW on my top line (Sharp, Kessler, Samuellson) which would free up the Sedins for my second line. I want to see if Ican develop him into an NHL elite. Plus his salary right now is pretty managable so unlike with some players, it wouldn't bankrupt my team.

steelerfan
08-20-2010, 02:49 PM
I can see that, Jaymo. Sometimes there are players who grab your attention and endear (for lack of a better word) themselves to you. The Sedins on your 2nd line would be quite a luxury.

jaymo76
08-21-2010, 01:13 AM
I can see that, Jaymo. Sometimes there are players who grab your attention and endear (for lack of a better word) themselves to you. The Sedins on your 2nd line would be quite a luxury.

Running a chise with your Pens... That's a pretty solid lineup... no trades needed first year I'm guessing?

jaymo76
08-21-2010, 01:18 AM

Physics are big for checking along with allowing EA to properly implement broken and dropped sticks. I can see a difference in the puck physics too and the new faceoff smystem is deep, realistic and fun. I'm also noticing that the dump-and-chase looks like it will finally be worth using this year. I've had much more success getting to a puck in the corner after a dump than last year.

That "shot aim auto" is gold. I put the game settings to casual (no line changes and shot aim auto) and it makes a HUGE difference on offense. It really has made the game that much moe enjoyable (I admit I struggle with offense (I'm left handed and the shot/skill stick using my right is brutal). I played on rookie, pro and all pro and in the rookie game I won 14-2 (scored 11 goals in the third... three hatricks!). It was great to see goals. Even on pro I did really well. On all pro I was brutal but I enjoy the challenge.

I am so impressed with the million and one slider options to this game. NCAA could learn a valuable lesson from NHL.

steelerfan
08-21-2010, 08:08 AM
Running a chise with your Pens... That's a pretty solid lineup... no trades needed first year I'm guessing?

I rarely make moves in year 1. If I do, it'd likely be the Pens annual deadline deal to try to get a winger who can score, lol. Pittsburgh has gotten deeper and tougher on the blue line and more physical overall (added Asham yesterday). It's still gonna be a bit of a mixed bag on the flanks.

Yes, Auto shot aim is gold, lol.

jaymo76
08-24-2010, 02:41 PM
http://www.easports.com/blogs/inthecrease/post/slug/restricted-and-unrestricted-free-agency-its-in-the-game

Read this blog on FREE AGENCY.... I have been waiting to see this in sports gaming for a long time. Day one purchase for anyone who likes in-depth franchise mode!!!

jaymo76
08-24-2010, 02:46 PM
All I can think after reading this blog is that the EA Canada teams gets it! It's not about dumbing down the game or making it simpler... it's about recreating the NHL experience to be the most authentic video game ever made. Now why do the Madden devs not see this? That ESPN video yesterday where Phil Frazier talked about RFA's not being "fun." Are you serious Phil? Looking at this NHL blog I can only imagine how amazing Madden could be if they had this type of innovation. props to NHL 11 and EA Canada... a team that "gets it."

steelerfan
08-24-2010, 03:41 PM
Yep, the removal of RFA from Madden is one of many things wrong with it's Franchise Mode. The 3 things that annoy me most about Madden are 1) no RFAs or Exclusive Rights FAs (therefore boatloads of 1, 2 and 3 year players on the open market), 2) placing a player on IR frees up money but not a roster spot, 3) CPU teams maintain 'minimum' rosters (ie 2 QBs).

Telling me RFA is not fun, tells me you don't know/care how the NFL works. You just care about being able to score 40 points in 5 minute quarters. Lame. Madden doesn't get it.

NHL will, once again, be SGotY. Great job, EA Canada!

jaymo76
08-27-2010, 07:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yZ50t0bRBM[video]

steelerfan
08-27-2010, 07:49 PM
No new info really, but I thought it was kinda cool that Litty is blogging on THN....

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/34868-David-Littmans-Blog-Whats-New-in-EA-Sports-NHL-11.html

Btw, if you have a smart phone, the THN App kicks ass.

JeffHCross
08-27-2010, 09:34 PM
Anybody remember if you can, fairly easily, use existing minor league teams in Create-A-Team mode? If I get NHL 11, I'd probably want to make the Hitmen an NHL team (branding wise, not roster wise) and run with them in Be A GM.

steelerfan
08-27-2010, 10:20 PM
Anybody remember if you can, fairly easily, use existing minor league teams in Create-A-Team mode? If I get NHL 11, I'd probably want to make the Hitmen an NHL team (branding wise, not roster wise) and run with them in Be A GM.

Hmm, I never use CAT. You could definitely put them in BAGM and use them with a Fantasy Draft or trade the players you want to them before you start (may have to temporarily make that your default roster to get it to BAGM that way).

EDIT: This is assuming you can add/remove teams in BAGM, I can't remember for sure since I've never done it.

steelerfan
08-28-2010, 03:35 AM
Just read over some of the adds for BAGM that came out of the dev chat. They're all relatively small, but wow! Lotta good stuff in there.

SmoothPancakes
08-28-2010, 09:51 AM
Just read over some of the adds for BAGM that came out of the dev chat. They're all relatively small, but wow! Lotta good stuff in there.

I'm drooling. God I can't wait until the 7th.

JeffHCross
08-28-2010, 12:32 PM
The one thing I really miss about old NHL games was the ability to shorten a season. I miss this from baseball and basketball games too. It's really strange to me that it hasn't returned (at least that I haven't noticed). An 82 game season is great as a fan, but if I'm playing BAGM, I don't really want to play 82 games before the playoffs.

And yes, I'm one of those that has a problem letting the CPU sim games just to make the season go faster. Might be what I end up doing this year though ... simming the regular season and then playing the playoffs. If I get NHL, that is.

steelerfan
08-28-2010, 05:51 PM
The one thing I really miss about old NHL games was the ability to shorten a season. I miss this from baseball and basketball games too. It's really strange to me that it hasn't returned (at least that I haven't noticed). An 82 game season is great as a fan, but if I'm playing BAGM, I don't really want to play 82 games before the playoffs.

And yes, I'm one of those that has a problem letting the CPU sim games just to make the season go faster. Might be what I end up doing this year though ... simming the regular season and then playing the playoffs. If I get NHL, that is.

It doesn't bother me, but I certainly understand why it bothers some. I just play all 82 (with the Pens and the Aeros). After a season, I'll usually sim several more and just play key playoff games. For me, I'd rather sim games than have a short season because of realism and statistics. I'm surprised this hasn't become an option though.

steelerfan
08-28-2010, 05:57 PM
I'm drooling. God I can't wait until the 7th.

I'm with ya, buddy.

I love the fact that future draft picks that have changed hands IRL, will be reflected that way in the game. I also love having the option to not sign your picks who are under 20 but retaining their rights. Being able to trade the rights to unsigned picks is awesome too. I've always been annoyed with all the young talent available as UFAs. Player Rights and RFA should really clean that up and add a lot to BAGM.

SmoothPancakes
08-28-2010, 06:39 PM
I'm with ya, buddy.

I love the fact that future draft picks that have changed hands IRL, will be reflected that way in the game. I also love having the option to not sign your picks who are under 20 but retaining their rights. Being able to trade the rights to unsigned picks is awesome too. I've always been annoyed with all the young talent available as UFAs. Player Rights and RFA should really clean that up and add a lot to BAGM.

Agreed on all counts. I love everything they've done to deepen and further improve BAGM. So many other sports games could take a page from EA Canada's playbook with NHL 11 and BAGM and drastically improve their franchise modes along the lines that EA Canada went to, looking at the NHL CBA and adding on to BAGM essentially right from the CBA. The UFAs/RFAs, the retaining rights of under 20 picks, the trade rights, the 6 years into the future of draft picks (when you only get that very next year in Madden), etc. In my opinion, nothing in the next year or two or possibly more is going to touch NHL 11 and BAGM.

JeffHCross
08-28-2010, 11:11 PM
EA Canada is continuing to set the bar in terms of features.

Of course, they also have the best on-field/ice/court product around, so they can spend a lot more time on the "extras" (admittedly, things like RFA are bonus/extra features). Having a stable base sure does go a long way.

cdj
08-29-2010, 08:13 AM
On Tuesday between 2-4 PM ET EA SPORTS will be streaming the NHL 11 Rookie Challenge and they will be giving away copies of the game: http://www.ustream.tv/EASPORTSLive

steelerfan
09-01-2010, 08:27 AM
More mention of NHL 11 on THN in this Taylor Hall article....

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/34916-Taylor-Hall-has-done-all-he-can-but-knows-nothing-really-prepares-him-for-NHL.html

SmoothPancakes
09-07-2010, 06:07 AM
3 more hours to go here in Ohio. It feels almost like NCAA 11 and the anticipation of the wait. :D

steelerfan
09-07-2010, 10:26 AM
Just got home with NHL 11. Woo-hoo!!!

JBHuskers
09-07-2010, 10:26 AM
I think I'll be getting mine next week. Only getting it for 360 though this year.

SmoothPancakes
09-07-2010, 10:29 AM
Just got home with NHL 11. Woo-hoo!!!

Same here. Installing it to my hard drive right now and then it's NHL time.

steelerfan
09-07-2010, 01:18 PM
Messed around with HUT. Played 3 games of a tourney and lost to Finland in the Semis. Game plays wonderfully, the puck is much more a loose object than in the past. Lots of new sliders, Pass Reception slider is awesome. Gonna be fun to build a team in HUT. I only have 2 NHLers (N. Boynton and J. Jokinen) despite getting 3 free packs, lol. I have around 850 pucks right now, but I'm gonna save up to buy a 2500 puck pack.

steelerfan
09-07-2010, 09:40 PM
Had a sweet goal in UHL.

Snapped my stick on a point shot and, of course, it was going wide. It deflected in, 5 hole, of a D man's skate.

I'm loving this game!

On a side note, I purchased a Standard Pack (2500 pucks) in HUT and didn't get any more NHLers. A few prospects (Cohen among them), a few contract and training cards, and a head coach (+2 Def).

JeffHCross
09-07-2010, 10:37 PM
Heh. The real UHL (it doesn't exist anymore) was a hockey league that I worked for a team in. Took me a few reads of your post to figure out what you were saying.

Steeler, if you have 5 seconds check out Create-A-Team and see if there's a decently simple way to create a team using existing logos from the WHL or other minor leagues. Or let me know if there's a way to use a minor league team as an NHL team in Be A GM.

steelerfan
09-07-2010, 10:48 PM
I'll check right now.

EDIT: Unfortunately for you, no. In BAGM, you can only sub in pro teams (no Juniors). In CAT, you are limited to certain nicknames (no Hitmen) and the logos are current and classic NHL logos and a bunch of generics. It appears that the only way to use the Hitmen is in Season Mode in the WHL.

steelerfan
09-08-2010, 11:35 AM
I'm REALLY surprised at how fun HUT is. I didn't think (when I read about it) that I'd give it a serious run, but I'm really having fun. I've only played 2 online games with it so far, and i thought online would be the killer for me (re: cheese). There are TONS of things to do offline. The trading/auction features are really great. This mode works very well in NHL because of all of the leagues and players (over 4000).

steelerfan
09-08-2010, 02:59 PM
This is that broken stick goal i mentioned last night...

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/34907275

SmoothPancakes
09-08-2010, 08:59 PM
I'm REALLY surprised at how fun HUT is. I didn't think (when I read about it) that I'd give it a serious run, but I'm really having fun. I've only played 2 online games with it so far, and i thought online would be the killer for me (re: cheese). There are TONS of things to do offline. The trading/auction features are really great. This mode works very well in NHL because of all of the leagues and players (over 4000).

Definitely. I played Madden Ultimate Team last year on Madden 10 and while it was alright, after about an hour or two I just didn't really care for it as much as the other modes. HUT? I think I'm going to be spending a ton of time on it along with BAP and BAGM.

Also, damn. I started up a BAP, won the Memorial Cup, and managed to play myself, according to my agent, to a Top 3 draft pick. I'm a Colorado Avalanche fan in real life. The Avalanche had the third overall pick. I ended up getting drafted first overall by the LA Kings. Now I have to wait and hope the Avs think I'm worth the price in the future or wait until I'm an UFA before trying to get over to Colorado.

As well, this game is really going to put my NCAA playing time in jeopardy. I already have 12 or so games that I'm trying to at least get in a little bit of playing time on every now and then. Then yesterday I go and add NHL 11 and R.U.S.E. that I both had preordered.

steelerfan
09-08-2010, 10:21 PM
My only issue with HUT is that if you disconnect from the EA Servers, you get a loss. Even during a single player game. I'm 11-10 overall and half of those losses were disconnects. I didn't lose connection with the PSN either. I understand if you're losing or even tied, but giving a L (not to mention lowering your puck-earning multipliers and charging you with a game played on your player contracts) is harsh. I wish, if you were winning, they'd consider it a wash.

steelerfan
09-10-2010, 11:12 AM
Here is a list of the new sliders in NHL 11. Mostly posting this for JHC. Jeff, I know we discussed devs adding sliders and the potential challenges it presents. I just thought I'd share this with you so you'd know that they didn't simply add sliders for new features (ie broken sticks).

CPU Aid
Broken Stick Frequency
CPU Difficulty Adjustment (not 100% sure this is new)
CPU/BAP/HUM Strategy Adjustment
Manual Passing (On/Off) (not a new toggle, but it's function is different)
CPU/HUM Pass Reception Ease
Hitting Assistance (I think this was in 10, but I listed it in case I'm wrong)

SmoothPancakes
09-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Hey steeler, have you seen anything around the interweb about what all was done in the live tuning package was that was released yesterday? I haven't noticed anything in terms of major changes, but I haven't been able to find anything listing exactly what was edited in it.

steelerfan
09-10-2010, 01:04 PM
Hey steeler, have you seen anything around the interweb about what all was done in the live tuning package was that was released yesterday? I haven't noticed anything in terms of major changes, but I haven't been able to find anything listing exactly what was edited in it.

Reduced effectiveness of sharp angle shots, slap shots from in close and push puck, all of which were being used as exploits online.

I OU a Beatn
09-10-2010, 03:28 PM
Picked this up today. I'm going to get endless hours of enjoyment out of it for sure.

steelerfan
09-14-2010, 10:52 PM
New Tuner Set addresses the following per Redshirt (EA NHL Dev) at OS:

Sept 15 (gameplay balance) *Scheduled to deployed at 2am PST / 5 am EST on Sept 15th.The primary goal of this update is to increase goal scoring and decrease the advantages of solo, dangler style play in favor of more passing.

The specific changes are:
-Increase shot accuracy overall.
-Increases to shot power in some situations.
-Increase friction on dive.
-Increase poke check effectiveness.
-Face-off tuning, primarily to help CPU in certain situations.
-Decrease fatigue rate during odd man situations (when clock is scaled and you are limited to two lines).
-Decrease teamplay penalty for missed pass attempts.
-Small increase to pass receptions (online games and HUT, offline can adjust using slider).
-Small decrease to puck control (online games and HUT, offline can adjust using slider).
-Narrowed the range of the agility effect.

As usual we will be monitoring the effects of the changes and will continue to make adjustments to balance gameplay. For offline players these changes are on Tuner V1.02 (except those noted as online/HUT only).

SmoothPancakes
09-15-2010, 09:09 AM
Sweet. I saw the announcement last night they had up about the new tuner set being released this morning while playing BAP and EASHL games. Didn't get a chance to go look for what was in it though.

steelerfan
09-15-2010, 02:35 PM
Started a BAGM with the Wild (just playing Aeros games) last week. Last night, I played my 6th game and tinkered with the sliders to help the CPU get moe attack time. This morning, I fired it up (with the Tuner Set) and started game 7 (home vs Lake Erie). Well, the Tuner Set and my slider adjustments had me down 4-0 early in the 2nd, so I quit. Back to the drawing board....

SmoothPancakes
09-15-2010, 05:34 PM
Yeah, I'm going to have to do some toying around with my sliders as well.

I will say one thing, NHL has brought out a side of me that NCAA, Madden, and FIFA have completely failed to do in the past. I cannot get enough of the EASHL.

I haven't joined on with any teams yet, but I have been playing a ton of drop in games as a either a defensive defenseman or a stand-up goalie. I have two offline BAP's going, a playmaker center and a hybrid goalie, so the defenseman and the stand-up goalie are a nice change when playing against real people online. That, and I can score goals pretty much to my heart's content in my offline BAP. But when I go online, there's just something I love about knocking people on their asses left and right and knocking away pucks as a defenseman.

Usually any other game, I avoid multi-player like the devil (with the exception of the COD games, when/if I actually still play them) and stick to usually only single player. But this game, with the EASHL, I just can't get enough of it. I'm literally just sitting here going directly from the end of one drop-in game to the start of another, over and over.

steelerfan
09-15-2010, 06:21 PM
Ha! That's cool, SP.

I've never gotten too involved with BAP or EASHL. That's cool that you're finding them fun.

I played an offline HUT tourney game against Rochester today and got smoked! I have 9 NHLers on my squad now, so I'm not too bad. But my goalie (Osgood - 80 OVR) allowed 6 goals on 19 shots. I'm a bit concerned that the boosts in the latest LTP are gonna force me out of HUT and to BAGM only.

SmoothPancakes
09-15-2010, 07:02 PM
Yeah, EASHL has been pretty fun. I actually just completed my first game playing as goalie. Made a wrong move early in the first period, giving up an easy goal on their first shot attempt with about 16 minutes left in the period. After that, I shut them out the rest of the game, ending the game with 24 straight saves, en route to our team winning 2-1 in overtime.

It definitely is a whole 'nother ballgame when playing as the goalie rather than a defenseman. You have that "holy crap, I have to stop every single one of these shots somehow, pulling saves out of my ass left and right" feeling the entire game. Power plays for the other team are horrible, as you have that many less people to intercept the puck before they get to you for a shot. Even worse was when we managed to finally score and tie it up halfway through the 3rd period and ended up going into overtime. Then you really do have to stop every single shot or it's game over.

So much pressure playing as the goalie in EASHL, especially when you end up on a team with 5 other teammates who actually play well, pass the puck around for shots, and do a great job keeping control of the puck and intercepting the puck a lot, because you don't want to be the one who screwed it all up and cost your entire team the game, no matter how great they played.

Yeah, BAP and EASHL are a nice change of pace from BAGM and HUT. I generally jump around constantly between BAP, BAGM and HUT each time I play, changing it up every now and then for the different perspectives. And now you have me worried about HUT. I haven't played HUT at all since last night, so I have yet to play any with the new LTP. My offense and defense are great, sitting at 87 and 84, but my goalie is Tampa Bay's Mike Smith, who is currently only an 82 because I don't have any goalie consumables to try and boost to his potential of 88. And my back up is Garon from Columbus, who is only an 81 right now, with only a potential of 83. So if that game wasn't just a fluke for Osgood, that worries me as my goalies are in the same ratings ranges as Osgood.

steelerfan
09-15-2010, 07:20 PM
Definitely, report back. I'm interested to see what your HUT experience is like (and any CPU games for that matter) since the LTP. Maybe a fluke, but I allowed 10 goals in just over 4 periods today to the CPU. Many of those were roofers from the high slot.

steelerfan
09-16-2010, 06:47 PM
Maybe it was a fluke. Just got a 4-1 win in HUT over the CPU (Charlotte). I've tweaked my sliders alot offline and am back to having good games.

There is a special in the HUT store in 15 minutes. Too bad I only have 1466 pucks.

ram29jackson
09-17-2010, 12:44 AM
I wish I could get this game

JeffHCross
09-18-2010, 07:03 PM
That, and I can score goals pretty much to my heart's content in my offline BAP.I wish I had this problem. I suuuuuuuccccccckkkkkkk at scoring goals in BAP ... at least I did last year.

jaymo76
09-19-2010, 02:09 AM
I wish I could get this game

Me too. This was a first day purchase for me but finding out we have another child on the way has reduced my entertainment budget to zero. The wife says maybe for Christmas so I will keep my fingers crossed but priority #1 is always family.

steelerfan
09-19-2010, 04:20 AM
Me too. This was a first day purchase for me but finding out we have another child on the way has reduced my entertainment budget to zero. The wife says maybe for Christmas so I will keep my fingers crossed but priority #1 is always family.

Wow, congratulations jaymo! :))

jaymo76
09-19-2010, 03:01 PM
Wow, congratulations jaymo! :))

Thankks steelerfan! Yeah it's exciting (and expensive) but it's totally worth it.

steelerfan
09-22-2010, 12:23 AM
Another LTP is slated for tonight. This is from Redshirt_EA at OS...

Sept 22 (gameplay balance) *Scheduled to be deployed at 2am PDT / 5 am EDT on Sept 22th.

-Increase maximum speed when hustling (L3).
-Easier to generate/maintain speed doing forward crossover turns.
-Decrease goalie acceleration.
-Increase chance of penalty when a stick lift breaks a stick.
-Decrease chance of stick lift causing a dropped stick.
-Increase to slap shot power
-Increase non-puck carrier acceleration and agility and decrease puck carrier acceleration and agility.
-Weaken shots in certain situations that were leading to goals with too high a frequency when cutting across the middle of the ice.
-Increase chance of losing balance when carrying the puck (online/HUT only).
-Increase chance of losing the puck when deking or turning sharply (online/HUT only).
-Increase chance of tripping on a poke check (undoing previous change that affected online/HUT).

For offline players these changes are on Tuner V1.03 (except those noted as online/HUT only).

EDIT: Redshirt_EA also said there will be another tuner set next week and spoke a little about a patch. He also said he can see the need for a tuner mechanism that would allow the user to mix parts of different LTPs together. That would be awesome! Though, if it happens, I'm sure it wouldn't be for 11.

UGA14
09-23-2010, 08:52 AM
The last tuner set must have really changed the game up, as now on my EASHL team the CPU players are down right stupid. They have no ability to pass the puck it seems and in fact, unless you call for it sometimes they'll just stand in the corner for a good 2 minutes hanging out, sipping tea, etc.

steelerfan
09-23-2010, 09:55 AM
The last tuner set must have really changed the game up, as now on my EASHL team the CPU players are down right stupid. They have no ability to pass the puck it seems and in fact, unless you call for it sometimes they'll just stand in the corner for a good 2 minutes hanging out, sipping tea, etc.

Haven't played any EASHL, just 2 drop-in games. I know EA has done as much as reasonable to get teams to use 6 humans (ie not allowing a club to have multiple games going at once for point whoring). Perhaps this is another part of that push. I'll keep my eyes peeled for similar reports.

JeffHCross
09-25-2010, 12:21 AM
I can completely understand wanting to incentivize 6-man teams ... but making CPU players non-competitive is taking it way, way too far.

steelerfan
09-28-2010, 06:53 AM
There was another tuner update last night. Here's what Redshirt_EA had to say at OS...

Have not received confirmation about when the changes are going up yet, but here's the the unofficial release notes.

-Increase post-whistle penalties when the post-whistle rules are set to Authentic.
-Small increase in goalie acceleration (part way between previous tuner and original values).
-Increase CPU player fatigue when hustling to correspond with human players.
-Increase effect of the shot accuracy slider at the bottom end (offline games only).
-Stop CPU goalie from passing the puck out sometimes even when nobody was calling for it. (OTP/EASHL only).
-Reduce tendency for aggressive goalies to skate out to play the puck in dangerous situations (HUT and Versus only)

The last change will probably be brought to offline later.

JBHuskers
09-28-2010, 09:14 AM
After various back and forths with FedEx, I FINALLY have NHL 11. Will get to dig into it tonight.

steelerfan
09-28-2010, 10:28 AM
After various back and forths with FedEx, I FINALLY have NHL 11. Will get to dig into it tonight.

360, right?

JBHuskers
09-28-2010, 10:59 AM
360, right?

Yep got it for 360.

steelerfan
09-28-2010, 08:10 PM
Yep got it for 360.

Well, that's a f'n' shame.... :P

JBHuskers
09-28-2010, 09:37 PM
Well, that's a f'n' shame.... :P

Maybe both systems sometime down the road....LOL

steelerfan
09-28-2010, 09:54 PM
Maybe both systems sometime down the road....LOL

Have you "dug in" yet?

JBHuskers
09-28-2010, 11:38 PM
Have you "dug in" yet?

Nope ... going to here in a bit, just finished my fantasy football vid for the week. I got on earlier and set up my ultimate team and bought a couple packs.

steelerfan
09-29-2010, 01:53 AM
If by "bought packs", you mean with pucks, cool. If you mean with $, let me help you out of that trap.

Everytime I log into HUT, I use all my pucks to bid on 150 puck 25, 30 and 35 game contract cards. I turn around and sell those cards for a 200 minimum. I usually don't set a BUY NOW on these unless the auction will not be ending during peak hours. If I set a BUY NOW, it's reasonable (300-500). Those cards NEVER make it through auction without being purchased.

I also bid on NHL team jerseys and logos for 150. I target original 6 teams, throwbacks and Canadian teams. I usually set a BUY NOW of 500 on these and many of them are bought NOW. I've had a little trouble moving NYR gear though.

If something doesn't sell, keep offering it until it does. If you sit on it a long time, offer it at 150 with a low BUY NOW to get rid of it. This has worked very well for me. A week ago, I was down to 450 pucks or so. I haven't played any HUT since. But, every time I turn the game on, I check my auctions, resell any I won, and rebid with the pucks I earned or lost bids with. Now, I have around 4000 pucks and haven't played a game in a week.

steelerfan
09-30-2010, 03:29 AM
Jeez, I've turned into Overstock.com, lol.

I spent a lot of time yesterday flipping cards in HUT. I now have 10-20 k in contracts, jerseys and pucks. I have a full board of auctions going (30 is the max) and I'm bidding on another 30 or so cards while currently sitting on a half dozen or so cards that I don't have space to put up for auction yet. I think I'm addicted to this process, lol.

Anyway, I've moved several jerseys at Buy Nows of up to 950. I'm paying between 150 and 350 (rarely) for them. I've also gotten a much better grasp on which ones are worth overpaying for (Leafs, Canadiens and Hawks are gold, particularly throwbacks).

If you need pucks, this is the way to go!

JeffHCross
10-01-2010, 10:13 PM
I can legitimately say that doesn't interest me in the least.

steelerfan
10-02-2010, 09:29 AM
I can legitimately say that doesn't interest me in the least.

:))

JeffHCross
10-02-2010, 04:48 PM
:D I guess the reason I posted that is because there are rarely features, at least in sports games, that I have absolutely no interest in. MUT and HUT (so glad they didn't mistakingly call it NUT) are one of those few features.

steelerfan
10-18-2010, 11:42 PM
Another tuning update is scheduled for tonight.

Here is what Redshirt_EA had to say about it at OS....

Tuning Update unofficial notes for ~2am PT, Oct 19 release.

All modes:
-Human puck carriers can be hit immediately when they acquire the puck now (there was a short period where they couldn't be hit previously). *
-Goalie more careful about dropping the puck from his glove to his stick when there is pressure. *
-Slap shot effectiveness with partial windup reduced.
-Hitting from behind and boarding called more strictly.
-Fewer elbowing penalties.
-Decrease CPU post-whistle penalties.

Offline only (V1.05):
-Goalies less aggressive going after loose pucks (same change that online modes got last tuning update).
-Goalies less aggressive passing the puck out

OTP/EASHL Only:
-Goalies now will not throw the puck out when in glove standing unless pass is called for.
-Increase the effect of shot accuracy attributes.
-Changed CPU base attributes to make them a bit better defensively and a bit weaker on offense.

*: applies retroactively to all offline tuning sets (V1.00 - V1.05), these are considered bug fixes, not tuning.

steelerfan
10-18-2010, 11:44 PM
Also, there is still supposed to be a patch coming soon and a roster update should be available in the next 10 days or so.

steelerfan
10-23-2010, 12:17 PM
Officially, the roster update is due out next week and will be MASSIVE. EA says they are adding over 500 players to the CHL. Good stuff!

I need to get moving with my AHL BAGM (Aeros) so I can get my NHL one (Penguins) fired up after the update. I'm 57 games in (29-20-8). I still think I may play a season with a CHL team, too. It just depends on how long these 2 BAGM seasons take me.

One thing that is not new this year that doesn't get enough props is the fans' ability to "remember" in NHL. For those who are unaware, if a player injures another the fans' of the injured player's team will boo the assailant anytime that player touches the puck. This will continue everytime the 2 teams meet at the injured player's team's arena for the entire duration of the injury. Just a cool touch.

jaymo76
10-23-2010, 10:40 PM
Steelerfan, I have seen on a few other sites that there are a lot of major issues with BAGM Mode. Have you seen this as well or is this truly to be considered a great game? Sorry if you have already commented on this... my internet has been down off and on for the last month (ISP issues with new lines, etc.).

steelerfan
10-23-2010, 11:30 PM
There are some things about BAGM that are not perfect. I have yet to see anything that ruins it for me. Much of the bitching I've seen has to do with things that tie back to the initial rosters. People fail to realize that teams that are over the cap are forced to make moves to become compliant. There are things that need to better organized (players in Juniors, for example) and leave you wanting. But there isn't anything that I've come across, personally, that is a killer. Much of the cap/transaction issues that have been reported are really a result of people not understanding the way things are done in real life. Also, this game has not been patched at all. A patch is coming soon and, knowing the EA NHL team, it will be solid. This game is worth $60 for anyone who loves the sport or is willing to play it in order to play a great sports title.

If you want to ask about any specific things you've read about, I'll be glad to answer them.

jaymo76
10-24-2010, 01:07 PM
There are some things about BAGM that are not perfect. I have yet to see anything that ruins it for me. Much of the bitching I've seen has to do with things that tie back to the initial rosters. People fail to realize that teams that are over the cap are forced to make moves to become compliant. There are things that need to better organized (players in Juniors, for example) and leave you wanting. But there isn't anything that I've come across, personally, that is a killer. Much of the cap/transaction issues that have been reported are really a result of people not understanding the way things are done in real life. Also, this game has not been patched at all. A patch is coming soon and, knowing the EA NHL team, it will be solid. This game is worth $60 for anyone who loves the sport or is willing to play it in order to play a great sports title.

If you want to ask about any specific things you've read about, I'll be glad to answer them.

I think the number one issue I have heard is based around trade logic. Specifically it is too hard to make fair trade OR acquire young players without destroying your team. Also I heard that re-signing avg players for realistic amounts is way off. Have you seen these issues or is this more just people who don't know hockey well complaining???

steelerfan
10-25-2010, 04:08 AM
I think the number one issue I have heard is based around trade logic. Specifically it is too hard to make fair trade OR acquire young players without destroying your team. Also I heard that re-signing avg players for realistic amounts is way off. Have you seen these issues or is this more just people who don't know hockey well complaining???

Honestly, I rarely attempt trades unless the CPU offers them. Also, I haven't made it to the offseason to attempt to re-sign anyone. I'll sim and report back after trying these.

jaymo76
10-25-2010, 09:25 PM
Honestly, I rarely attempt trades unless the CPU offers them. Also, I haven't made it to the offseason to attempt to re-sign anyone. I'll sim and report back after trying these.

Sounds good! I look forward to your report.

steelerfan
10-28-2010, 02:06 PM
http://stars.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=541319&navid=DL|DAL|home

:D:D:D:D:D

steelerfan
10-28-2010, 02:34 PM
OK, jaymo, here's what I had a chance to try so far.

I took over Pittsburgh and attempted to send Brooks Orpik and Eric Tangradi to Edmonton for Taylor Hall and Steve MacIntyre (Edmonton's lowest trade valued player).

I tried this in Season Mode and Edmonton jumped on it. I tried this again in BAGM (on the hardest difficulty) and it was rejected.

This suggests what I thought. In BAGM, the CPU has an eye on the future. Part of BAGM is building relationships with other GMs. Mine with Edmonton was "Nuetral". Had it been good, maybe they take that offer, idk. Like it or not, it's part of BAGM that people don't consider when they complain.

If there's a specific trade you'd like tested, let me know.

Later, I'll jot down the current salaries and ratings of my upcoming FAs and try to re-sign them and see what happens.

jaymo76
10-28-2010, 09:24 PM
OK, jaymo, here's what I had a chance to try so far.

I took over Pittsburgh and attempted to send Brooks Orpik and Eric Tangradi to Edmonton for Taylor Hall and Steve MacIntyre (Edmonton's lowest trade valued player).

I tried this in Season Mode and Edmonton jumped on it. I tried this again in BAGM (on the hardest difficulty) and it was rejected.

This suggests what I thought. In BAGM, the CPU has an eye on the future. Part of BAGM is building relationships with other GMs. Mine with Edmonton was "Nuetral". Had it been good, maybe they take that offer, idk. Like it or not, it's part of BAGM that people don't consider when they complain.

If there's a specific trade you'd like tested, let me know.

Later, I'll jot down the current salaries and ratings of my upcoming FAs and try to re-sign them and see what happens.

Thanks Steelerfan. Its intewresting to see the different logic in season vs. BAGM. I have no problem with the cpu holding in to their youth to build for the future.

JeffHCross
10-28-2010, 10:07 PM
Thanks Steelerfan. Its intewresting to see the different logic in season vs. BAGM. I have no problem with the cpu holding in to their youth to build for the future.That's actually something they mentioned last year in the dev blog was a major difference with BAGM, and had been a significant focus for them. Similarly, if you do a fantasy draft in BAGM, the young superstars are the ones that get drafted early, even superstars-to-be, rather than the current highest OVR players.

steelerfan
10-28-2010, 10:21 PM
That's actually something they mentioned last year in the dev blog was a major difference with BAGM, and had been a significant focus for them. Similarly, if you do a fantasy draft in BAGM, the young superstars are the ones that get drafted early, even superstars-to-be, rather than the current highest OVR players.

I haven't tried a fantasy draft, but some others have said they've seen some teams load up on youth while others take a "win now" approach. Kinda cool.

JeffHCross
10-28-2010, 10:59 PM
Here's the blog I was remembering: http://blogs.ign.com/EA_NHL/2009/07/27/125648/ It's a good read.

JeffHCross
10-29-2010, 08:51 PM
http://stars.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=541319&navid=DL|DAL|home

:D:D:D:D:DFinally had a chance to listen to it with sound ... awesome. Hilariously awesome.

jaymo76
10-29-2010, 08:51 PM
Really hope I can scrape the money together to pick this game up at some point. Maybe the wife will pick me up a copy for xmas??? The BAGM mode sounds like a fun challenge. Too bad there aren't custom seasons though.

cdj
11-12-2010, 08:19 AM
A couple of podcasts from the dev team:

Podcast #1 - Game Updates (http://www.easports.com/blogs/inthecrease/post/slug/nhl-11-podcast-1-give-me-the-updates)
Podcast #2 - How Ratings Work (http://www.easports.com/blogs/inthecrease/post/slug/nhl-11-podcast-2-how-ratings-work)

steelerfan
11-19-2010, 10:49 PM
Sorry it's taken so long to report, jaymo. I've been through about 10 offseasons now and I can honestly say that I believe the amount of money players try to get is realistic. In fact, there are always a few veteran UFAs who are aging stars that can be had for like 700 to 900 thousand. Guys between 35 and 40. I've been able to add pieces for cheap, when needed, that way.

The only players who seem to ask for huge raises are young studs who are RFAs. But, that's realistic. The whole RFA is done very well. Players will lower their asking price if they've received a qualifying offer (but not signed it) once the season starts. When 12/1 hits, they're ineligible so they want to get something done as that day approaches. Note, it's only top RFAs who want big $, 97% of them just sign the tender and move on.

cdj
11-29-2010, 08:38 PM
With all NHL teams now releasing their alternate jerseys, here is the code that will unlock the NHL alternates in NHL 11: bcxkg8fkx3h4m3p5 (http://www.easports.com/blogs/inthecrease/post/slug/nhl-11-jersey-code)

steelerfan
11-29-2010, 10:05 PM
With all NHL teams now releasing their alternate jerseys, here is the code that will unlock the NHL alternates in NHL 11: bcxkg8fkx3h4m3p5 (http://www.easports.com/blogs/inthecrease/post/slug/nhl-11-jersey-code)

Thanks, Chris. I knew to keep my eyes peeled this week, but I didn't think we'd get this on Monday.

jaymo76
11-30-2010, 08:40 PM
Sorry it's taken so long to report, jaymo. I've been through about 10 offseasons now and I can honestly say that I believe the amount of money players try to get is realistic. In fact, there are always a few veteran UFAs who are aging stars that can be had for like 700 to 900 thousand. Guys between 35 and 40. I've been able to add pieces for cheap, when needed, that way.

The only players who seem to ask for huge raises are young studs who are RFAs. But, that's realistic. The whole RFA is done very well. Players will lower their asking price if they've received a qualifying offer (but not signed it) once the season starts. When 12/1 hits, they're ineligible so they want to get something done as that day approaches. Note, it's only top RFAs who want big $, 97% of them just sign the tender and move on.

That's great to hear. It sounds as though they have finally got the "realistic" feel to negotiations.

jaymo76
12-26-2010, 12:21 AM
The wife picked NHL 11 up for me for Christmas. I only had a chance to play for a hour or so (kids take priority today) but in that time I created a few players, re-created the Winnipeg Jets, played an exhibition game, tinkered with 1000+ sliders, and played around a little with BE A GM before starting a chise wityh VCR. All I can say in the short time I have had the game is WOW! Now let me say first that I have not owned an EA SPORTS hockey game since NHL 94 (best ever!) so I have not seen the progress the game has taken. However, IMO this game should get serious consideration for game of the year. I love NCAA 11 but just based on what I have seen thus far it will be impossible to put this game down. Once the wife gets to bed the NHL marathon begins!

steelerfan
12-26-2010, 10:36 AM
The wife picked NHL 11 up for me for Christmas.

:)):)):))

Congrats, buddy! I thought about you last evening when I was playing NHL. I wondered if you got it for Christmas, I remembered you saying you hoped to. Glad to hear you got it. Merry Christmas!

jaymo76
12-26-2010, 02:32 PM
:)):)):))

Congrats, buddy! I thought about you last evening when I was playing NHL. I wondered if you got it for Christmas, I remembered you saying you hoped to. Glad to hear you got it. Merry Christmas!

Thanks dude! Yeah last night was a good night. Total contrasts from game to game. The Canucks are stacked with a 90 ovr and I punished the Kings and the Panthers. However, the Manitboa Moose farm team are awful and I have dropped both games as them. Gameplay is very solid but I will need to tweak a few sliders. Also, I am really into the BE A GM thing right now. However, I will say that it is tough take make trades for young players. I'm trying to move either Bieksa or Salo but nobody will take them and most GM's are choked with me if I try to get youth, even if they aren't that good. Right now I am on a personal crusade to land D Peterangelo from St Louis's far team. I have been trumped with every attempt... I don't even like the guy that much I just want to see if I can do it... now it's personal lol.

Steeler... how many cups have you hoisted as your mighty Pens this year???

steelerfan
12-26-2010, 04:40 PM
Steeler... how many cups have you hoisted as your mighty Pens this year???

Actually, I haven't started a BAGM with the Pens yet. Each year I follow the same routine. When the game drops, I start a BAGM with the Wild and I do one season running the front office by doing what's best for the big club but only playing the AHL games with Houston. That season with the Aeros allows me to get accustomed to the new game, adjust sliders (though I have to re-adjust for the NHL), and wade through all the tuner updates. It also allows time for rosters to get squared away. This year, when I finished the Aeros season, the AHL rosters still hadn't been completely updated (not all teams had had the chance to sign PHPA waivers) so I switched back to NCAA.

Currently, I'm in year 3 with SDSU in NCAA. I wanna do at least 4 years because I'm having a blast with Ronnie Hillman. Soon, I'll start with the Pens. I haven't checked at OS to see if the 12/21 roster update has all the AHL updated yet. If it does, I'll start ASAP!

jaymo76
12-26-2010, 08:36 PM
Okay serves me right for bragging earlier. After blowing out the kings 7-3 and putting up 4 on Florida my offensive skills have become annorexic. Currently my offense is classified as cold and in the last three games I am averaging a goal a game. Doesn't matter what I do, my shot totals are down and I can't buy a goal. I use auto setting for shooting as the manual is a bit too complex for my skills at this time. Also, my pass completion % is taking a beating.

Does anyone know:
1. Are there hot/cold streaks in this game that impact play?
2. Does changing the line-up impact the play of the team overall during a rough patch?
3. What is the best forecheck style? I am currently going with a 3-2 format...

This is a great game but I really suck right now at passing and scoring.

steelerfan
12-27-2010, 01:22 PM
Jaymo, I use 1-2-2 Low, but I will go aggressive when I'm on the PP and conservative when I'm SH. Try cranking the HUM Strategy Adjustment slider. If you do this, the CPU will control your strategies and make constant adjustments. Many more adjustments than you could ever make manually.

jaymo76
12-28-2010, 03:02 PM
Jaymo, I use 1-2-2 Low, but I will go aggressive when I'm on the PP and conservative when I'm SH. Try cranking the HUM Strategy Adjustment slider. If you do this, the CPU will control your strategies and make constant adjustments. Many more adjustments than you could ever make manually.

Thanks steeler. Changing the cpu aid to casual makes A HUGE iumprovement to positional play from my forwards and defenders. It is somewhat humbling to set sections to "casual" but my hockey abilities clearly are well behind my football ones... wow... did a Canadian just admit that??? :)

jaymo76
12-31-2010, 05:44 PM
I love playing the AHL in this game. Currently I am in fourth with Vcr in the NHL. However, my Manitoba Moose farm team is an absolute blast to play with because the AHL game is so wide open and unpredictable. One game I am blown out, the next is a D struggle anf the next is an eight goal scorefest. We are working our way up from last place. I have picked up a few free agents and that has changed the flow of things. My only complaint with the AHL... the goalies are absolutely, awful!

jaymo76
01-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Anyone who has this game... how do you feel about the INJURIES and PENALTIES situation? I have all three penalty sliders maxed and I have the injury slider maxed. However, in an avg game there will be 1-3 penalties. Some games zero penalties will be called. At OS some people were saying you need to up AGGRESSION to 6. I tried this but didn't notice any difference. Same situation with injuries. I just don't see any regularity to injuries. Currently I have two guys out... both for 2-3 weeks. On my Manitoba farm team I have had ZERO injuries all year. Throughout the league at the 25 game mark there are only about 15-25 players in total who are or who have been injured. Is this just an anomally or is it an aspect of the game that I will have to deal with??? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

steelerfan
01-03-2011, 01:04 AM
Jaymo, I will post the sliders I'm using if you'd like. At the least, I will post the injury and penalty sliders I have. I haven't had any problems in either area.

After you asked about me and a Pens BAGM, I finally started one. I've seen injuries to Dupuis (broken nose), Kunitz (broken rib), Asham(fractured jaw), Cooke (hamstring), Goligoski (broken wrist), Orpik (lacerated arm), Michalek (fractured elbow) and maybe a couple others and I'm only 19 games in.

I play with 10 minute periods to give you perspective. I'm guessing that shorter periods would produce incrementally fewer results.

jaymo76
03-25-2011, 07:18 PM
Anyone playing this game anymore? Damn season is so long but I am in the home stretch. Looks like the Canucks will be drinking from Lord Stanley's mug this year. I pulled off a huge deal at the deadline to pick up Peterangelo from Stl. He has been a beast on D.

steelerfan
03-25-2011, 07:31 PM
I'm still playing. Up 2-0 in the East Semis vs NYR. Tempted to play another season, but I'll probably pass since I got MLB The Show and intend to play a full season with that.

psusnoop
03-28-2011, 12:10 PM
I think I'm going to stop today after work and pick this up. I've been a HUGE HUGE SLACKER.

psusnoop
03-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Steelerfan, can you post your sliders? I'd like to start a season pretty much ASAP and can't wait to tinker with the sliders.

SmoothPancakes
03-28-2011, 01:38 PM
Yeah, I need to get going on NHL 11 again. I played another game of my BAGM season, but I have hardly touched NHL 11 in past months. Too many other games to play. I may have to toss it in this afternoon sometime, after I work a little bit more on my NCAA Basketball 09 VCU dynasty that I started last night.

jaymo76
03-28-2011, 01:40 PM
Yeah, I need to get going on NHL 11 again. I played another game of my BAGM season, but I have hardly touched NHL 11 in past months. Too many other games to play. I may have to toss it in this afternoon sometime, after I work a little bit more on my NCAA Basketball 09 VCU dynasty that I started last night.

It's a great game but I sure wish they had custom season length. The 82 games plus best of seven playoff series makes for an incredibly long season.

SmoothPancakes
03-28-2011, 01:45 PM
It's a great game but I sure wish they had custom season length. The 82 games plus best of seven playoff series makes for an incredibly long season.

Yeah, that has been killing me. I can play a couple games at a time, but then I have to move on to something else for a while because it just gets repetitive otherwise. So it takes months for me just to complete one season.

steelerfan
03-28-2011, 03:01 PM
Steelerfan, can you post your sliders? I'd like to start a season pretty much ASAP and can't wait to tinker with the sliders.

Yeah, I can post em a little later today.

EDIT: Text me when you get home with the game (be sure and fire it up and run through the start up tutorial and download the patches, latest tuner, and rosters first). I'll call you and walk you through the sliders. There's like a million of them and I'm too lazy to post, lol.

Kingpin32
04-23-2011, 12:17 PM
Is the online stuff worth it in this game? I wanna buy it used, but I feel I'll be missing out on a lot of stuff.

SmoothPancakes
04-23-2011, 12:42 PM
Is the online stuff worth it in this game? I wanna buy it used, but I feel I'll be missing out on a lot of stuff.

Honestly, you could go either way with it. I know I spend 95% of my time in the game playing Be a Pro and Be a GM modes. The Hockey Ultimate Team is alright, but the novelty sort of wears off after a while. When I first got the game, I played HUT a lot but then started playing it less and less within the month or two after. As for the other online modes, it depends on how much you would possibly want to get involved in them. Me, I personally love jumping on and playing some Online Team Play games with other human players. Get a full 6 on 6 human game, and there is a LOT of fun involved. EA Sports Hockey League and Online League (think online dynasty/franchise) I really have not touched at all so I can't comment on those two.

So really it's up to you as to how much you would want to get involved in. If you are only slightly interested in it, you could probably do without the online pass as you'll be able to stay pretty occupied with BAP and BAGM modes. If you are someone who does love to play some online action, then in my opinion, based on what personal experience I have with it, definitely worth it my opinion.

jaymo76
04-23-2011, 11:21 PM
I only play offline Be a GM. Overall, if you LIKE hockey, it's a great game. The presentation still leaves a lot to be desired but it's a fun, good playing game of hockey. If you like the sport you will like the game. The cpu gives a good challenge with the right slider tweaks. You don't missing anything if you are not playing online.

Kingpin32
04-25-2011, 05:52 PM
I ended up getting it new, but I am definitely enjoying it right now, and I haven't even started a GM mode yet. My first hockey game since NHL 90 something. I think it was 95 but I'm not sure.

SmoothPancakes
04-25-2011, 06:08 PM
I ended up getting it new, but I am definitely enjoying it right now, and I haven't even started a GM mode yet. My first hockey game since NHL 90 something. I think it was 95 but I'm not sure.

That's great to hear! Glad you're enjoying it! 11 is definitely a fun game that I am going to spend hours upon hours on for months to come. I honestly could be happy if I were to end up skipping NHL 12 and just keep going with 11. While I don't know anything about new features in 12, I'm enjoying 11 enough that I would be tempted to stay with 11 for another year or two.

Kingpin32
04-25-2011, 06:16 PM
That's great to hear! Glad you're enjoying it! 11 is definitely a fun game that I am going to spend hours upon hours on for months to come. I honestly could be happy if I were to end up skipping NHL 12 and just keep going with 11. While I don't know anything about new features in 12, I'm enjoying 11 enough that I would be tempted to stay with 11 for another year or two.

I'm afraid to see what happens once I get into GM mode. I'm trying to wait until PSN gets back up so I can get updated rosters and tuner sets, but it's no telling when it's gonna come back up.

SmoothPancakes
04-25-2011, 06:19 PM
I'm afraid to see what happens once I get into GM mode. I'm trying to wait until PSN gets back up so I can get updated rosters and tuner sets, but it's no telling when it's gonna come back up.

Oh, GM is so much fun. Especially with the 7 years in advance of draft picks that you can trade away or trade for, restricted and unrestricted free agents, and other goodies you could only hope to dream of in Madden and other games. I love the trading block and the offseason in GM mode, as much, if not much much more than the actual games and action during the season. There is so much you can do from the standpoint of the front office.

Kingpin32
04-25-2011, 06:24 PM
Oh, GM is so much fun. Especially with the 7 years in advance of draft picks that you can trade away or trade for, restricted and unrestricted free agents, and other goodies you could only hope to dream of in Madden and other games. I love the trading block and the offseason in GM mode, as much, if not much much more than the actual games and action during the season. There is so much you can do from the standpoint of the front office.

What team are you using? I'm thinking of just getting my home team Dallas Stars and trying to win the Stanley Cup again.

jaymo76
04-25-2011, 07:05 PM

Yeah, but sometimes trades for "fair deals" are almost impossible. I really wish NHL 11 had a trade override function like on the 2k games where if you wanted the trade to go through you could.

steelerfan
04-25-2011, 10:11 PM
Yeah, but sometimes trades for "fair deals" are almost impossible. I really wish NHL 11 had a trade override function like on the 2k games where if you wanted the trade to go through you could.

Me too. The game is too smart to trade Neal and Niskanen for Goligoski. The Stars, on the other hand, are not. (Sorry Kingpin, I had to).

I'll start an NHL 12 thread as soon as news starts becoming available. Should be very, very soon.

SmoothPancakes
04-26-2011, 02:44 AM
What team are you using? I'm thinking of just getting my home team Dallas Stars and trying to win the Stanley Cup again.

I'm currently going with the Colorado Avalanche since I'm an Avs fan, but I may start up a new BAGM after I go through and do some research. I want to find the absolute worst team to run. Horrible NHL team with a horrible AHL team, no good up and coming youth in the farm system, no great or outstanding players on the NHL roster, maybe more older and close to retirement players than other teams, etc. Make it a true challenge to take a team with absolutely no future in terms of players and try to build them up into an annual contender for the Cup via free agency, trades, and the draft.

Well, that is true. There have been a couple trades I have made in the past were I basically had to bend over and spread to get the CPU to accept.

steelerfan
04-26-2011, 08:54 AM
Smooth, the Sens, Isles, and Panthers are the first to pop into my head under the type of team you're looking for. Maybe the Flames or Thrashers. The Panthers are likely the worst, though I wouldn't be stunned if it were the Flames.

psusnoop
04-26-2011, 09:01 AM
Me too. The game is too smart to trade Neal and Niskanen for Goligoski. The Stars, on the other hand, are not. (Sorry Kingpin, I had to).

I'll start an NHL 12 thread as soon as news starts becoming available. Should be very, very soon.

I had to rethink going after Neal and Niskanen because the CPU wanted to ass rape me. I'm still considering going down that path, but it certainly is a "scaaarrrry one".

I agree though, I wish there was an override function because the deals I've tried are good but at times I don't think the CPU is smart enough to see a declining aging guy unless he is on your team. haha

I really love this game, I just got it at the end of March (terrible I know) but I'm sitting at 22-20-5 right now and really starting to turn things around after starting 0-8-3. I take too many silly penalties though and it just kills me at times.

steelerfan
04-26-2011, 09:06 AM
I haven't touched NHL in a month. I'm still in the East Semis, but The Show is occupying all my time. 56 games down, 106 to go, lol. I'm trying to finish my Astros season before NCAA 12 arrives. Sheesh.

psusnoop
04-26-2011, 09:09 AM
I've been playing Tiger Woods like crazy to build up my guy so I can compete a little better.

It has been about 4 or 5 days since I last played NHL 11, which means I'm going to get smacked around the next couple of games till I get back into the swing of things.

psusnoop
04-26-2011, 09:10 AM
Only 106 more, hahaha you have a long trip ahead of you there. What is your record?

steelerfan
04-26-2011, 09:17 AM
What is your record?

24-32. The Show is the best sports game, hands down! And baseball is a diiiiiiiistant 3rd behind football and hockey for me.

psusnoop
04-26-2011, 09:33 AM
I may have to give this a whirl at some point then since your speaking so highly of it. Baseball is a very distant 3rd for me. I'm almost starting to like the NBA and NCAA hoops more then baseball (only because I took a ton of action on games this year).

steelerfan
04-26-2011, 09:44 AM
It's a fantastic game. The presentation (particularly during a season) is unrivaled.

Call me when you're ready for sliders. :D

psusnoop
04-26-2011, 09:49 AM
Hahaha I just might have to take you up on that.

SmoothPancakes
04-26-2011, 10:04 AM
Smooth, the Sens, Isles, and Panthers are the first to pop into my head under the type of team you're looking for. Maybe the Flames or Thrashers. The Panthers are likely the worst, though I wouldn't be stunned if it were the Flames.

Nice, I'll look into those teams. That's become sort of a favorite hobby of mine in sports games, find the absolute worst, dog awful team known to man in the game, and play with them and try and work them up to a championship contender, whereas in the past, I would just play with my favorite teams and that would be that.

SmoothPancakes
04-30-2011, 06:45 PM
Now that I have beaten Assassin's Creed 2 and got 1000/1000 gamerscore on it, I am finally ready to go for the suck in NHL 11 (while sharing time with TW PGA Tour 12).

After going through all the teams you mentioned steelerfan, I have made the decision to become the next GM of the Atlanta Thrashers. They have the lowest overall rating of the teams looked at, tied with the Islanders for worst offense rating, second-lowest defense rating, tied with Ottawa for the lowest goalie rating. Highest rated player was right winger Dustin Byfuglien at 84, highest goalie was Chris Mason at 82.

So definitely a bare cupboard when it comes to ratings and skill of current talent on the team. Granted, they're the youngest team I looked at, averaging 27.1 years of age and they have almost $18.50 million in cap space, the second most amount of cap space of looked at teams. So also some positives that could go a long way in a quick turn around.

This should be fun!

steelerfan
04-30-2011, 09:15 PM
:nod:

jaymo76
05-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Now that I have beaten Assassin's Creed 2 and got 1000/1000 gamerscore on it, I am finally ready to go for the suck in NHL 11 (while sharing time with TW PGA Tour 12).

After going through all the teams you mentioned steelerfan, I have made the decision to become the next GM of the Atlanta Thrashers. They have the lowest overall rating of the teams looked at, tied with the Islanders for worst offense rating, second-lowest defense rating, tied with Ottawa for the lowest goalie rating. Highest rated player was right winger Dustin Byfuglien at 84, highest goalie was Chris Mason at 82.

So definitely a bare cupboard when it comes to ratings and skill of current talent on the team. Granted, they're the youngest team I looked at, averaging 27.1 years of age and they have almost $18.50 million in cap space, the second most amount of cap space of looked at teams. So also some positives that could go a long way in a quick turn around.

This should be fun!

If you want it to be a real-life franchise experience maybe you should move your team to Winnipeg before the start of the season If it's not Phoenix it will be Atlanta.

Kingpin32
05-01-2011, 05:39 PM
Do you guys still play the Be a Pro mode?

SmoothPancakes
05-01-2011, 05:44 PM

I do. I've got two going in fact. I have a center BAP going with the Los Angeles Kings, and a goalie BAP going with the Boston Bruins. I originally started just the center one when I first got the game, but after playing goalie a number of times in Online Team Play, it was such a blast protecting and trying to protect the net against multiple human opponents, that I went and created the goalie one not long after.

jaymo76
05-01-2011, 05:51 PM

Downside of the mode is when you get drafted by a team you don't like. I was drafted by Tampa Bay and made the team as a 4th line centre. I played about 10 games and then stopped as the gsame just wasn't fun for me at that point. However, the CHL playoffs and the draft process were awesome!

SmoothPancakes
05-01-2011, 06:47 PM
If you want it to be a real-life franchise experience maybe you should move your team to Winnipeg before the start of the season If it's not Phoenix it will be Atlanta.

Well, unfortunately a little late to make that move. Just wrapped up preseason. After an offseason of some wheeling and dealing, Atlanta could be a decent team as early as this first year, maybe getting lucky and seeing the playoffs as a 5-8 seed. Had some very favorable positioning in the draft to pick up some quality future talent, was able to steal Jussi Jokinen and Sergei Samsonov from Carolina in a grand theft indictable trade that the Hurricanes offered me during the draft, instantly boosting my roster of left wingers, and was able to pick up three good players, a 78 OVR goalie and two 81 OVR right wingers, in free agency.

I was able to go 2-0-2 in the preseason, picking up 1 goal wins in my first two games against Washington and Tampa Bay, before losing my final two in a shootout to Florida and in overtime to New Jersey and I am now about to start the regular season, coincidentally enough, once again taking on Washington and Tampa Bay in my first two games of the season. Here's to trying to achieve my owner's goal of 41 wins this season.

steelerfan
05-01-2011, 08:14 PM
Played my first game in about 6 weeks tonight, beating NYR, 5-3, to take a 3-0 series lead in the East semis. Just gotta get through these playoffs, and I'll shelve 11 and wait for 12.

Kingpin32
05-02-2011, 09:23 PM
Is there a good set of sliders online? I'm fairly confident in my game now to where I'm willing to play it a bit tougher now.

jaymo76
05-03-2011, 12:24 AM
Played my first game in about 6 weeks tonight, beating NYR, 5-3, to take a 3-0 series lead in the East semis. Just gotta get through these playoffs, and I'll shelve 11 and wait for 12.

I'm almost at the playoffs with vcr. Funny thing... if the season ended right now I would be playing Chicago in the first round.

JBHuskers
05-03-2011, 12:37 AM
Just sold NHL 11 on eBay today (got $36 for it) I just did not play it much this year. Maybe it was because I had it on 360, not sure. Planning on getting it for PS3 at least this year.

jaymo76
05-03-2011, 01:01 AM
I really hope that for 12 they work on atmosphere and addressing the issue a lot of people have raised~ the feeling of being alone in dynasty mode.

Kingpin32
05-03-2011, 01:19 AM
I really hope that for 12 they work on atmosphere and addressing the issue a lot of people have raised~ the feeling of being alone in dynasty mode.

And maybe make it a bit less confusing. To me at least they seem to have gotten the Playoff atmosphere right.

steelerfan
05-03-2011, 05:55 AM
And maybe make it a bit less confusing. To me at least they seem to have gotten the Playoff atmosphere right.

Agree on the playoff atmosphere.

What confuses you?

Kingpin32
05-03-2011, 08:30 AM
Agree on the playoff atmosphere.

What confuses you?

The whole resigning of players. I'm starting to get it now, but at first I was extremely confused by the layout of it.

steelerfan
05-03-2011, 09:50 AM
The whole resigning of players. I'm starting to get it now, but at first I was extremely confused by the layout of it.

Gotcha.

psusnoop
05-03-2011, 10:11 AM
I gotta get back to the grind to get through this first season. Man I've been slacking. I've got something like 30 games remaining in the regular season so the push has to start soon or I'm not going to get it finished.

steelerfan
05-03-2011, 10:41 AM
I gotta get back to the grind to get through this first season. Man I've been slacking. I've got something like 30 games remaining in the regular season so the push has to start soon or I'm not going to get it finished.

Don't feel bad, snoop. I still have 94 games left on The Show. :smh: :D

jaymo76
05-04-2011, 12:09 AM

Down the stretch I started to simulate the 1st and 2nd period just to speed things up. I would never do this in football/basketball but without custom seasons, this game is just so long.

steelerfan
05-04-2011, 12:11 AM
Down the stretch I started to simulate the 1st and 2nd period just to speed things up.

:smh:

jaymo76
05-04-2011, 12:38 AM
:smh:

I know, I'm embarrased too...

psusnoop
05-04-2011, 01:58 PM
YOU SHOULD BE, hahah just kidding. I simmed a couple of games but stopped once I lost them both. Figure the CPU has it in for me and will do anything to screw me out of a playoff spot.

jaymo76
05-04-2011, 11:48 PM
YOU SHOULD BE, hahah just kidding. I simmed a couple of games but stopped once I lost them both. Figure the CPU has it in for me and will do anything to screw me out of a playoff spot.

Yeah I think when you sim the cpu tends to defeat your team. I have the highest skill ranking in the league yet the few games I fully simmed, I lost and to lower ranked teams.

jaymo76
05-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Just started the playoffs. I am number 1 overall... finished the regular season with 108 points. The trade deadline was interesting. I made one deal for a 6th rounder in 2012. It only cost me Nolan Baumgartner. First up will be the Kings. As I start the playoofs I notice some weird things.

Eastern Conference top seeds:

1. New York Islanders???
2. Flordia Panthers???
3. Boston Bruins

Western Conference top seeds:

1. Vancouver
2. St. Louis???
3. Dallas???

teams that stand out in 4-8: EDMONTON, CALGARY, TORONTO
teams missing: Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Anaheim, Montreal, Detroit
worst team in the league: BUFFALO

First round begins tonight after the kids go to bed.

steelerfan
05-08-2011, 05:43 PM
The sim engine in NHL has been far below standard for years.

jaymo76
05-08-2011, 09:22 PM

Agreed! I just didn't see it during the season but now that I'm in the playoffs I am pretty shocked and not in a good way. Where is the sim engine logic??? All things being equal I should be playing for the cup in a week or two.

JeffHCross
05-08-2011, 10:06 PM
The sim engine in a lot of sports games has been substandard for years.

psusnoop
05-09-2011, 06:43 AM

The Islanders were 24-7-2 in my season at one point. They have cooled alittle but I thought this was quite the stretch, Geez.

steelerfan
05-09-2011, 07:43 AM
The Islanders were 24-7-2 in my season at one point. They have cooled alittle but I thought this was quite the stretch, Geez.

That's interesting, in my season they missed the playoffs by a lot.

jaymo76
05-10-2011, 01:04 AM
Finished off the Kings tonight in the first round. It was a five game series and every game was entirely different.

1 5-2 VCR (total VCR domination)
2 5-2 LA (4 LA goals in the third)
3. 5-4 VCR in DOUBLE OT
4. 3-0 VCR (Luongo wirth the shutout)
5. 5-2 VCR (ugly, ugly game)

Next up is Calgary. Didn't play wellagainst them in the season series. Plus Calgary's keeper has a 1.08 GAA in the playoffs. Will this be a tough round??? Have to give EA CANADA props for the atmosphere and presentation in the playoffs thus far. It is truly well done.