PDA

View Full Version : NBA Elite 11 - (Cancelled)

Pages : [1] 2

Solidice
05-26-2010, 12:18 PM
on NCAA's facebook they posted this:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4067469&id=90440037279&fbid=398081567279

wonder what they could be?

JBHuskers
05-26-2010, 12:18 PM
http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs608.snc3/31987_395848581650_47151801650_4640804_2238792_n.j pg

EA Sports is asking this....find the answer later this week.

Follow EA Sports on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/#!/easports

cdj
05-26-2010, 12:20 PM
on NCAA's facebook they posted this:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4067469&id=90440037279&fbid=398081567279

wonder what they could be?

It's also been posted on the FB pages for all EA Sports games. I have no clue what this is.

pastapadre originally saw it on the NBA Live product page and thought the game was being rebranded NBA Elite 11. Pretty sure that's not the case, but I am not sure what to guess on this one.

cdj
05-26-2010, 12:21 PM
No clue what this is. The pic has been posted in all of the EA Sports game pages on Facebook.

I OU a Beatn
05-26-2010, 12:23 PM
If I had to guess, I'd say it's something to do with their supposed ultra amazing online play in their sports games they've been bragging up in Madden and MMA. If not, then I have no idea. I am interested to hear more about their plan to "change the way we play sports online."

JBHuskers
05-26-2010, 12:24 PM
Didn't realize this was being talked about :) I created a thread bout it in the other video games thread.

morsdraconis
It's also been posted on the FB pages for all EA Sports games. I have no clue what this is.

pastapadre originally saw it on the NBA Live product page and thought the game was being rebranded NBA Elite 11. Pretty sure that's not the case, but I am not sure what to guess on this one.

An interesting way of doing viral advertising maybe?

Solidice

yeah, just notice it was on all EA Sports titles. probably something to do with online for all EA Sports games?

JBHuskers
05-26-2010, 12:25 PM
I wonder if the NBA Elite thing is a right guess by Pasta.

xRomo9
05-26-2010, 12:27 PM
Maybe has to deal with the Elite gamer status purchase in Madden 10 . Maybe it is expanding to a bigger picture. Hmm . Now I'm curious.. :)

Solidice
05-26-2010, 12:27 PM
since it's on all EA Sports games it seems, I would guess it's something to do with online.

I OU a Beatn
05-26-2010, 12:29 PM
I wonder if the NBA Elite thing is a right guess by Pasta.

What's that?

Maybe has to deal with the Elite gamer status purchase in Madden 10 . Maybe it is expanding to a bigger picture. Hmm . Now I'm curious.. :)

What's that?

:D I'm curious with this stuff. If they make drastic improvements to the online portion of their sports games, I'll cream my pants. 99% of my game time with sports games is spent online vs other people.

cdj
05-26-2010, 12:29 PM
since it's on all EA Sports games it seems, I would guess it's something to do with online.

My guess as well.

Not sure why pasta guessed a name change for Live at first. I suppose that could be it and they are looking to get the name out as quickly as possible by posting it on all product pages. IIRC, last year both NBA 2K and NBA Live announced their cover athlete during the NBA Finals and we're almost there.

I'm guessing some sort of premier status for EA gamers or online players like romo said. I really have no clue though.

cdj
05-26-2010, 12:35 PM
Pastapadre believes it is new branding for NBA Live (http://www.pastapadre.com/2010/05/26/nba-live-being-renamed-nba-elite):

The NBA Live name is no more. This year’s NBA title from EA Sports will be called NBA Elite 11. According to OXM (via drules2) the game will be heavy on analog controls with Skate and Fight Night the two titles garnering comparisons in that regard. I’m hoping to get some additional details soon.

Oftentimes a series name change can be attributed to a stigma having been built and the desire to have a fresh start. Maybe the best example of that is when EA went from Triple Play to MVP. We are probably seeing similar thinking implemented here with the company hoping to build a new brand that can either compete with NBA 2K or can find its own base of consumers who want something different. While NBA Live 10 showed great improvement over prior iterations it actually fell in sales from the previous year.

JBHuskers
Pasta I guess has a source that it is NBA Elite 11...who knows.

http://www.pastapadre.com/2010/05/26/nba-live-being-renamed-nba-elite

JBHuskers
HAHHAHA we posted that at the same time.

Solidice
05-26-2010, 12:45 PM
if that really is it, I don't see why they would promote that on the other Sports titles pages. I don't think I've seen any other cross title info like that(I don't follow the NCAA facebook that closely, so I could easily be wrong)

JBHuskers
05-26-2010, 12:46 PM
if that really is it, I don't see why they would promote that on the other Sports titles pages. I don't think I've seen any other cross title info like that(I don't follow the NCAA facebook that closely, so I could easily be wrong)

Good point.

I OU a Beatn
05-26-2010, 12:49 PM
NBA Elite 11? Am I the only one that thinks that sounds like a retarded name for a basketball game? :D

cdj
05-26-2010, 01:09 PM
NBA Elite 11? Am I the only one that thinks that sounds like a retarded name for a basketball game? :D

'Elite 11' is the name of the top HS QB camp that EA sponsors (http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/photofeature.asp?SID=880&fid=33065). I'm guessing they'd drop the year from the title and just be 'NBA Elite,' if this is true.

xRomo9
05-26-2010, 04:25 PM
Well if it was to rename the NBA Live why would they be posting it on all the facebook pages ?
I think it has to do with the online play on all the major sports games. I guess we will see soon enough.... :)

gschwendt
05-26-2010, 05:05 PM
According to OXM, It is in fact NBA Elite 11 and it includes real time physics.
http://www.pastapadre.com/2010/05/26/nba-elite-11-getting-real-time-physics

steelerfan
05-26-2010, 05:09 PM

Real time physics is slated for NHL 11 also. Not too sure what that means yet other than some obvious positives.

Btw, I'm not a big NBA guy, but isn't LeBron wearing the wrong uni for this?;)

xRomo9
05-26-2010, 05:10 PM
Pastapadre

"It was just last week we learned that EA Sports is introducing real-time physics in the NHL series. Both games are developed out of the EA Canada studio. Continue on to check out a scan of the entire article which includes some images and leave your thoughts in the comments"...

I thought NBA Live was produced out of Orlando...."scratches head"

I OU a Beatn
05-26-2010, 05:11 PM
Sweet. I can't wait to try out real time physics in NCAA Football '12. :p

steelerfan
05-26-2010, 05:17 PM
Pastapadre

"It was just last week we learned that EA Sports is introducing real-time physics in the NHL series. Both games are developed out of the EA Canada studio. Continue on to check out a scan of the entire article which includes some images and leave your thoughts in the comments"...

I don't know anything about Live (haven't played since 97 or so) but they mentioned David Littman. He is also over the NHL series.

Solidice
05-26-2010, 05:29 PM

it seems it could be for NBA. still confusing as to why it's on every EA Sports facebook page. I don't care about the NBA, keep that off the NCAA FB page. :p

Deuce
05-26-2010, 05:41 PM

Stupid question...what does that really mean? How will that differ from locomotion?

morsdraconis
05-26-2010, 05:43 PM
Stupid question...what does that really mean? How will that differ from locomotion?

HOPEFULLY, that means that they get locomotion in NBA Live 11. If so, that'll be a HUGE step toward them surpassing the NBA 2k series.

JBHuskers
05-26-2010, 06:25 PM
Pastapadre

Nope NBA Live is produced at EAC.

UGA14
05-26-2010, 06:30 PM
Does locomotion still have pre-canned animations, etc? Wouldn't real-time infer that everything happening will be, just that, in real-time occurring right there... giving each move an individuality not before seen? That would be my guess.

cdj
05-26-2010, 07:09 PM
From Stick Skills (http://stickskills.com/news/923/nba-elite-11-details-emerge/):

In the July issue of the Official Xbox Magazine, Mitch Dyer unveils the following details on the upcoming NBA Elite 11:
"First, canned moves are being phased out in favor of real-time physics. This addresses a major concern for both critics and the development team. Where you used to be committed to an action's entire animation as soon as you punched a button, NBA Elite 11 gives you the ability to interrupt and intertwine actions on a whim. If you're driving toward the basket and a defender cuts you off, you won't awkwardly run into or around him; you can slow your roll and interrupt your movie with a flick of the left stick."
The rest of the article goes on to details that the left stick acts moreso as your body, and the right stick as your hands and the ball. Shots are now mapped to the right stick as well, taking awhile the "rolling of dice" when taking a shot and leaving it entirely up to skill.

Creative director for NBA Elite 11 David Littman, who has made the NHL series at EA a huge success, said that, "Now, if someone makes a shot from half court, you can't get mad because it's entirely skill-based."

Shooting works simply by pushing up on the right stick and letting go to send the ball toward the goal. Though the mechanic is rather simplistic, the accuracy of how straight you push the stick up determines the accuracy of your release. The game's realistic physics system can also be used to aim to the side to hit a bank shot, or even allowing you to toss the ball between your hands to outsmart a defender on a layup or dunk.

So this confirms it - and now David Littman is the new Creative Director for the franchise. Very, very interesting.

This whole 'canned animations,' 'physics engine' stuff is pretty confusing, but here's something I wrote a while back elsewhere that helps me try and keep it clear. Most of the info is straight from Ian Cummings and a blog he posted on OS:

A few weeks ago, Madden 10 lead designer Ian Cummings referred to BackBreaker as utilizing a "physics based engine" in this blog (http://www.operationsports.com/Ian_Cummings_EA/blog/769-can-people-please-stop-asking-for-a-new-engine/), but the guys at BB were quick to let him know through twitter that "euphoria isn't a physics engine - it's animation technology that creates unique game moments" and linked to their site explaining more (http://naturalmotion.com/euphoria.htm). Check out the chart in the eupohoria:core section after reading the paragraph below.

Reading through the Cummings blog linked above, he mentions that Madden utilizes four main engines in game:

- Animation Engine - It's called ANT (ANimation Toolkit), and it's shared technology among nearly all of the EA Sports games. ANT provides two things: 1.) a 'tool' which allows us to prepare our raw animations for the game (i.e. tagging when a player is down or what injury impact a tackle has on which body part), and 2.) in-game technology to actually execute all these animations. Anything custom to our game (and NCAA) is built as a plug-in to ANT...so it's actually not part of the low level animation engine. This includes things like IK Foot Pinning, Multi-Character Alignment (for tackles, blocks, etc), Catching, etc
- Physics Engine - Though obviously we don't have a rag-doll solution, we do have physics in our game to handle collision (or else players would just pass through each other and the ball would pass through the ground). This engine is proprietary and custom to Madden only. Havok Physics (by Havok) would be another example of a physics engine.
- Rendering Engine - We have a proprietary rendering engine called RNA that is also used in many other EA games. This handles the 'drawing' of everything in our game to the screen. Another rendering engine example would be 'Gemini', which is the rendering section of Unreal Engine 3.
- AI / Assignment Engine - Another proprietary system, since this is obviously specific to football. The game runs on a multitude of different assignments that a player is in with hundreds & thousands of parameters; things like "deep zone" or "ballcarrier pursuit" or "move to catch" or "get fumble". Some of this is driven directly by the design of the plays (i.e. a run route assignment), and much of the other stuff is dynamic AI (i.e. pursuit).

I don't understand the whole engine or game dev process completely, but it sounds like BB may utilize several in-game engines as well (like Madden), but sub out the top 'Animation Engine' and insert euphoria. BackBreaker's success and long-term football reputation (like Madden, NCAA, & All-Pro Football before it) will still boil down to the AI/Assignment engine or whatever they call their system (Game Logic & Behaviours).

It gives cool player-to-player physical interaction, but the actual AI still has to be coded and programmed in.

NatureBoy
05-26-2010, 08:16 PM
I'm not sure I like the idea of analog controls in basketball games. It might just be NBA 2K11 for me this year.

Deuce
05-26-2010, 08:45 PM
From Stick Skills (http://stickskills.com/news/923/nba-elite-11-details-emerge/):

In the July issue of the Official Xbox Magazine, Mitch Dyer unveils the following details on the upcoming NBA Elite 11:
"First, canned moves are being phased out in favor of real-time physics. This addresses a major concern for both critics and the development team. Where you used to be committed to an action's entire animation as soon as you punched a button, NBA Elite 11 gives you the ability to interrupt and intertwine actions on a whim. If you're driving toward the basket and a defender cuts you off, you won't awkwardly run into or around him; you can slow your roll and interrupt your movie with a flick of the left stick."
The rest of the article goes on to details that the left stick acts moreso as your body, and the right stick as your hands and the ball. Shots are now mapped to the right stick as well, taking awhile the "rolling of dice" when taking a shot and leaving it entirely up to skill.

Creative director for NBA Elite 11 David Littman, who has made the NHL series at EA a huge success, said that, "Now, if someone makes a shot from half court, you can't get mad because it's entirely skill-based."

Shooting works simply by pushing up on the right stick and letting go to send the ball toward the goal. Though the mechanic is rather simplistic, the accuracy of how straight you push the stick up determines the accuracy of your release. The game's realistic physics system can also be used to aim to the side to hit a bank shot, or even allowing you to toss the ball between your hands to outsmart a defender on a layup or dunk.

So this confirms it - and now David Littman is the new Creative Director for the franchise. Very, very interesting.

This whole 'canned animations,' 'physics engine' stuff is pretty confusing, but here's something I wrote a while back elsewhere that helps me try and keep it clear. Most of the info is straight from Ian Cummings and a blog he posted on OS:

A few weeks ago, Madden 10 lead designer Ian Cummings referred to BackBreaker as utilizing a "physics based engine" in this blog (http://www.operationsports.com/Ian_Cummings_EA/blog/769-can-people-please-stop-asking-for-a-new-engine/), but the guys at BB were quick to let him know through twitter that "euphoria isn't a physics engine - it's animation technology that creates unique game moments" and linked to their site explaining more (http://naturalmotion.com/euphoria.htm). Check out the chart in the eupohoria:core section after reading the paragraph below.

Reading through the Cummings blog linked above, he mentions that Madden utilizes four main engines in game:

- Animation Engine - It's called ANT (ANimation Toolkit), and it's shared technology among nearly all of the EA Sports games. ANT provides two things: 1.) a 'tool' which allows us to prepare our raw animations for the game (i.e. tagging when a player is down or what injury impact a tackle has on which body part), and 2.) in-game technology to actually execute all these animations. Anything custom to our game (and NCAA) is built as a plug-in to ANT...so it's actually not part of the low level animation engine. This includes things like IK Foot Pinning, Multi-Character Alignment (for tackles, blocks, etc), Catching, etc
- Physics Engine - Though obviously we don't have a rag-doll solution, we do have physics in our game to handle collision (or else players would just pass through each other and the ball would pass through the ground). This engine is proprietary and custom to Madden only. Havok Physics (by Havok) would be another example of a physics engine.
- Rendering Engine - We have a proprietary rendering engine called RNA that is also used in many other EA games. This handles the 'drawing' of everything in our game to the screen. Another rendering engine example would be 'Gemini', which is the rendering section of Unreal Engine 3.
- AI / Assignment Engine - Another proprietary system, since this is obviously specific to football. The game runs on a multitude of different assignments that a player is in with hundreds & thousands of parameters; things like "deep zone" or "ballcarrier pursuit" or "move to catch" or "get fumble". Some of this is driven directly by the design of the plays (i.e. a run route assignment), and much of the other stuff is dynamic AI (i.e. pursuit).

I don't understand the whole engine or game dev process completely, but it sounds like BB may utilize several in-game engines as well (like Madden), but sub out the top 'Animation Engine' and insert euphoria. BackBreaker's success and long-term football reputation (like Madden, NCAA, & All-Pro Football before it) will still boil down to the AI/Assignment engine or whatever they call their system (Game Logic & Behaviours).

It gives cool player-to-player physical interaction, but the actual AI still has to be coded and programmed in.

Good info there...

..thx CDJ

Jayrah
05-27-2010, 12:11 AM
HOPEFULLY, that means that they get locomotion in NBA Live 11. If so, that'll be a HUGE step toward them surpassing the NBA 2k series.

What? Why would they need locomotion with real time physics? I'm totally happy with 2k, it's never let me down for basketball. And like Nature Boy this does NOT look intriguing to me with the analog sticks. We'll have to see what else comes with it though I suppose.

JBHuskers
05-27-2010, 01:27 AM
I'm part excited and part cautious at the same time. I really liked the strides that NBA Live 10 took, but at the same time, sales lacked. I think the hype engine though for NBA Elite 11 is off to the right foot. Is it a good foot though? We'll see this winter.

Rudy
05-27-2010, 05:13 AM
I bought NBA Live 09 and had fun with it for awhile. I used to play basketball games a lot more but that was the first one I bought in years (since CHOOPS 2K6). Not sure why they did the name change though. It worked for MVP baseball but they completely redid that game.

JBHuskers
05-27-2010, 12:38 PM
More ELITE viral goodness:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs548.ash1/31987_396124471650_47151801650_4646152_2409444_n.j pg

UGA14
05-27-2010, 12:45 PM
At least now you can pretty much 100% confirm it's basketball related.

JBHuskers
05-27-2010, 12:51 PM
At least now you can pretty much 100% confirm it's basketball related.

Yep, I think after a few news stories came out, that forced their hand.

skipwondah33
05-27-2010, 05:08 PM
They put Jordan on 2K11 and I'm automatically getting it regardless BUT it will be nice to see some details about this later on. I've been a live fan since the series first started, then they started to fall a little ever since.

cdj
05-28-2010, 12:48 AM
They put Jordan on 2K11 and I'm automatically getting it regardless BUT it will be nice to see some details about this later on. I've been a live fan since the series first started, then they started to fall a little ever since.

That's kind of the way I was. Liked it on PS2 up until the final couple years until I felt they didn't make the changes necessary to avoid it being an arcade game - drive to the hoop and dunk every play or shoot 3s every play. I quit buying it (& March Madness) for a few years even though it once was my second fave sports franchise behind NCAA FB.

I picked up Live 09 and 10 and really like the direction they are headed, but there were things in 10 that drove me nuts. I'm optimistic the real-time physics will aid in improving the action in the paint which will help a lot.

cdj
05-28-2010, 01:35 AM
Joystiq was able to get this statement from an EA sports rep (http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/27/report-ea-retiring-nba-live-name-replacing-it-with-nba-elite/):

"We knew it was time to leave the past behind. We have exciting and significant changes coming to our NBA game this year that will usher in the future of basketball videogames. We look forward to releasing information on exactly how we'll be doing that over the next few months."

skipwondah33
05-28-2010, 09:49 AM
Sounds promosing, I miss playing basketball games really. I didn't get a chance to pick up 10, I did play 08 and 09 though. Didn't really care for either of those, alot of things drove me crazy with them.

I can remember back on Live 95 a cheat code I figured out (mind you I didn't have internet or read gamer mags for cheat codes). It was the one where you could "freeze" the game except the player you were controlling, run around shoot the ball and everything. I discovered it by accident a couple days after having the game then I played with every button until I figured the combination of it. Man I loved that game.

morsdraconis
05-28-2010, 09:58 AM
Sounds very promising, to say the least.

JBHuskers
05-28-2010, 12:35 PM
http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs608.snc3/31987_396387791650_47151801650_4652693_3226041_n.j pg

cdj
06-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Today's ELITE 'tease':

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs557.ash1/32437_397501661650_47151801650_4689244_4930337_n.j pg

I'd be surprised if we didn't get some legit game info before the NBA Finals end...which will only be about three weeks from now. :p

cdj
06-02-2010, 08:50 AM
OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE

EA Changes the Game, Announces NBA ELITE 11

EA SPORTS Set to Re-invent the Basketball Simulation Videogame Experience This Fall

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Electronic Arts Inc. (Nasdaq:ERTS) announced today that NBA ELITE will be the new moniker of the long running EA SPORTS™ NBA videogame franchise. NBA ELITE 11 will revolutionize the way basketball simulation games are played, with an all-new technology base, a new control scheme and a real-time physics system. Currently in development for the PLAYSTATION®3 and the XBOX™ 360, NBA ELITE 11 will be available in retail stores this October.

“NBA ELITE 11 will give gamers the same skill set that a pro basketball player has at his disposal”

“We plan to profoundly evolve the interactive basketball experience in a way that the category has not seen for a decade,” says Peter Moore, President, EA SPORTS. “In NBA ELITE 11, we’ll introduce a gameplay experience that gives fans the control on the court that they have been begging for in a basketball game for years.”

Using the design principles from some of EA SPORTS top rated franchises, NBA ELITE 11 introduces several significant gameplay changes that center around user control. The new ‘Hands-On Control’ scheme allows for one-to-one responsiveness of a player’s movement and actions on the court, as opposed to traditional predetermined animations that require users to wait while a scenario played out before making the next move. Hands-on Control applies to everything within a player’s offensive and defensive arsenal, including: dribble moves, dunks, drives to the basket, fadeaways, mid-air adjustments, blocks, steals and more.

The new real-time physics system in NBA ELITE 11 allows each player on the court to move independently of one another, removing the two-man interactions that have long taken the user control out of basketball simulation videogames. In addition, a new skill-based shooting system requires accurate user input, based on a player’s position on the court, versus the randomly generated dice rolls that have driven shooting in basketball videogames in the past.

“NBA ELITE 11 will give gamers the same skill set that a pro basketball player has at his disposal,” said David Littman, Creative Director, NBA ELITE 11. “This is the first basketball simulation videogame where you are controlling every movement, dribble move, shot, dunk, lay-up, steal and block in real time with one-to-one control. You’re no longer going to push a button and watch the computer generate a long animation sequence. It is like being on a basketball court with an amazing set of skills. This is going to change what people have come to expect from a basketball simulation videogame.”

“From the first day of development on this product, it was clear that we intended to pioneer a groundbreaking change in the basketball videogame segment,” said Jordan Edelstein, VP Marketing, EA SPORTS. “It’s a whole new game that warranted a brand new name to fully capture the transformation we intend to deliver in NBA ELITE.”

Electronic Arts has been releasing basketball videogames since 1983. The first game, titled One on One: Dr. J vs. Larry Bird, was one of the first basketball games to feature real NBA players. The franchise was rebranded to become NBA LIVE with the release of NBA LIVE 95, a brand that has carried on for 16 years culminating in last year’s NBA LIVE 10. EA’s NBA-licensed franchises have sold more than 25 million units since 1995*.

NBA ELITE 11 will be available for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system with an MSRP of $59.99. It is developed by EA Canada in Burnaby, B.C. The game has not yet been rated by the ESRB or PEGI.

EA SPORTS™ is one of the leading sports entertainment brands in the world, with top-selling videogame franchises, award-winning interactive technology, global videogame competitions and breakthrough digital experiences. EA SPORTS delivers personal access to the emotion of sports through industry-leading sports simulation videogames, including Madden NFL football, FIFA Soccer, NHL® hockey, NBA LIVE basketball, NCAA® Football and NCAA Basketball, Fight Night boxing, EA SPORTS MMA and Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® golf, and EA SPORTS Active.

For more information about EA SPORTS, including news, video, blogs, forums and game apps, please visit www.easports.com to connect, share and compete.

JBHuskers
06-02-2010, 08:58 AM
Sounds very interesting. Going to be interesting to see how this plays. That dude the flip flopped back and forth from 2K to EA to 2K probably was more comfortable with no change, from what I gather is basically the NBA 2K franchise. As fun as it is, it seems like they have done little to evolve over the years. With where the NBA Live franchise was, granted 10 was a good game, this is a gamble worth taking IMO.

cdj
06-02-2010, 08:40 PM
GameSpot has posted the first screens of NBA Elite 11.

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2010/152/988961_20100602_790screen001.jpg

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2010/152/988961_20100602_790screen002.jpg

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2010/152/988961_20100602_790screen003.jpg

I OU a Beatn
06-02-2010, 10:53 PM
Very impressive.

cdj
06-02-2010, 11:02 PM
GameSpot Q&A with creative director David Littman (http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/sports/nbalive11/news.html?sid=6264429&om_act=convert&om_clk=newsfeatures&tag=topslot;img;1). Pretty good read.

Over 200 gameplay improvements, builds on NBA Live 10, new/improved feature set, and can use button controls if you prefer. It also explains how the dual stick controls work. Personally, it alleviated some of my concerns, but will probably have to be played to be understood.

JBHuskers
06-03-2010, 01:57 AM
Being so against b-ball games until College Hoops 2k7 and on forward.....This has gotten me excited. I am having fun with hoops games again, and really can't wait to see what is in store for the debut of a new franchise.

NatureBoy
06-03-2010, 04:47 PM
EA Sports has released a a series of bullet points going deeper into describing the right analog stick usage dubbed “Hands-On Control” and the addition of real-time physics in NBA Elite 11. In doing so they have broken down many of the different ways in which the stick will be used from dribbling, to shooting, to defensively. I’ve also added the first three screenshots released for the game to the gallery.

The Game is in Your Hands—For the first time in a basketball video game, dribbling, shooting, passing, and defense are based on skill, fundamentally changing the entire NBA basketball experience. With complete hands-on control outcomes are no longer predetermined, and you become the deciding factor between game-winning shots and momentum-changing blocks.

Enhanced Dribbling System—The right analog stick controls your hand movements like never before, allowing you to dribble with one-to-one movement unique to NBA ELITE 11. Control the floor with all-new hesitations, spins, behind-the-back dribbles, and much more.

Call Your Shot—The days of predetermined outcomes based on a random push of the button are gone forever, as the result of every play is based on skill. Each player has a ‘sweet-spot’ and the ability to hit a shot is based on their skill set, defensive pressure, and proximity to the net. It’s up to you to put everything together and hit the shot.

The Drive to Win—The ability to drive to the net has never been so true to the game of basketball. Independent control of your hands and feet allows you to maneuver and dribble with precision, making the drive down the lane based on skill instead of a scripted defensive reaction.

Defense Matters—Independent hand controls also allow you to be more strategic on defense as you use the right analog stick to make steal attempts and game-changing blocks.

Feel the Game Like Never Before—Radically improved game physics rid the days of locked animated sequences leaving you in control of the player at all times. When you drive aggressively to the net and go up with authority, you can be sure that whoever is standing in your way is going to be knocked to the ground.

Still no mention of whether Freestyle Passing which was introduced last year will remain as a feature though. Despite some quirks that worked pretty well for making quick passes when on the run. Passing in general actually hasn’t been discussed at all which is an odd omission considering all the other things they have brought up in relation to the right stick. Frustrations with the various passing systems has probably been one of the most difficult things to deal with in both of the NBA games. Hopefully this has been addressed in some manner.

In addition to this info Gamespot has posted up an extensive interview with creative director David Littman which goes deeper into the philosophy behind the changes and the development team and how all of it will work. You can check that out in full here. As expected EA is not going to repeat the mistake made with Fight Night Round 4 and will be including standard control options.

Clearly the news of Michael Jordan being on the cover of NBA 2K11 and his inclusion in the game overshadowed what EA Sports was trying to do in launching the new take on the series. A serious shift has taken place with EA attempting to differentiate themselves from the competition through the controls and physics. It is a bold move, arguably born out of desperation, but one that seems justified due to the circumstances. Despite that I’d have to say I’m very tentative about buying into anything that is being said about it right now. There seem to be too many variables involved to have any idea how it is all going to come together.

Link to the story. (http://www.pastapadre.com/2010/06/03/further-details-on-the-nba-elite-11-enhancements-and-first-screenshots#more-22866)

I might give it a try down the road since standard control options will be included. Still, NBA 2K11 will be my first choice.

Kev5890
06-08-2010, 03:05 PM
http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs608.snc3/31987_396387791650_47151801650_4652693_3226041_n.j pg

My player mode possibly??

skipwondah33
06-08-2010, 03:28 PM
What sucks is that I will undoubtly want this when I hear more and more but it will be a must for me to purchase NBA 2K11 off principle/collection alone...I mean MJ is going to be on the cover!! lol

cdj
06-08-2010, 08:49 PM
New announce crew: Mike Breen, Jeff Van Gundy and Mark Jackson (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hvEMEA6T7EOk_GJ1KzF9rsJGBb5QD9G7B7F80)

They replace Marv Albert and Steve Kerr.

JBHuskers
06-08-2010, 09:52 PM
New announce crew: Mike Breen, Jeff Van Gundy and Mark Jackson (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hvEMEA6T7EOk_GJ1KzF9rsJGBb5QD9G7B7F80)

They replace Marv Albert and Steve Kerr.

Two thumbs up on that for me.

cdj
06-09-2010, 09:32 PM
GameTrailers has posted a video with Creative Director David Littman on the vision for the game (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-nba-elite-11/101105).

I OU a Beatn
06-09-2010, 09:54 PM
Wow, that looks absolutely amazing. Can't wait to get my hands on this. First time I've been excited about a basketball game since the PS2 days.

morsdraconis
06-10-2010, 12:01 AM
Wow. Pretty cool stuff. Might be the first time I ever actually play more than the demo of EA's NBA Basketball game for a change.

JBHuskers
06-15-2010, 07:44 PM
New commercial just debuted in the pregame for the NBA Finals.

Kingpin32
06-16-2010, 12:22 AM
Kotaku's Impressions of the game: http://kotaku.com/5564637/nba-elite-11-impressions-its-got-a-good-shot

cdj
06-16-2010, 09:48 AM
My conspiracy theory of the month was that NBA 2K knew what EA was going to do with NBA ELITE and that is what led to Jordan getting the 2K cover. Personally, I believe the name ELITE goes hand in hand with legends and great players and a departing Mike Wang knew that and went to 2K with it.

Well, a video from EA SPORTS showing NBA JAM discloses legends being in the game - Rodman, Drexler, Hakeem, McHale, & more - and my guess is that they will likely be in ELITE as well in some way, shape or form.

JBHuskers
06-16-2010, 09:58 AM
My conspiracy theory of the month was that NBA 2K knew what EA was going to do with NBA ELITE and that is what led to Jordan getting the 2K cover. Personally, I believe the name ELITE goes hand in hand with legends and great players and a departing Mike Wang knew that and went to 2K with it.

Well, a video from EA SPORTS showing NBA JAM discloses legends being in the game - Rodman, Drexler, Hakeem, McHale, & more - and my guess is that they will likely be in ELITE as well in some way, shape or form.

That's probably the truth since Wang knew what was going on.

cdj
06-17-2010, 11:51 AM
ELITE to feature Be A Pro AND EASBA - a five-on-five online league (http://forums.nba-live.com/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=73585). (Basically an OTP league.)

JBHuskers
06-17-2010, 12:13 PM
ELITE to feature Be A Pro AND EASBA - a five-on-five online league (http://forums.nba-live.com/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=73585). (Basically an OTP league.)

NICE!

cdj
06-17-2010, 04:47 PM
That GI article also mentions a new camera - NHL-based North/South view. I wonder if we'll have options on that one.

cdj
06-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Kevin Durant named cover athlete for NBA ELITE 11 (http://news.ea.com/portal/site/ea/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&ndmConfigId=1012492&newsId=20100622005705&newsLang=en)

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS) announced today that Oklahoma City Thunder small forward, Kevin Durant, will be the cover athlete for NBA ELITE 11. A 2010 NBA All-Star, Durant became the youngest player in NBA history to lead the league in scoring this past season, and he helped lead the Thunder to an impressive 50 win season and an NBA Playoffs berth. NBA ELITE 11 is currently in development under the EA SPORTS™ brand by EA Canada in Vancouver, B.C. and will be available worldwide this October.

“This has been an exciting year for me and the team, and capping it off with being on the cover of NBA ELITE 11 is cool.” - Durant

NBA ELITE 11 introduces significant gameplay changes that promise to revolutionize the basketball videogame experience. Hands-On Control is an innovative new control scheme that allows for one-to-one responsiveness of a player’s movement and actions on the court, as opposed to predetermined animations from the past that require users to wait while a scenario played out before making the next move. Hands-On Control is unique to NBA ELITE 11 and it is used to manage everything within a player’s offensive and defensive arsenal, including: dribble moves, dunks, drives to the basket, fadeaways, mid-air adjustments, blocks, steals and more.

“I’ve always been a fan of EA SPORTS,” said Durant. “This has been an exciting year for me and the team, and capping it off with being on the cover of NBA ELITE 11 is cool.”

“Durant is a game changer,” said Jordan Edelstein, VP Marketing, EA SPORTS. “There has never been a player his size with his skill set, and there has never before been a basketball videogame like NBA ELITE. Just like we see Durant as the future of the NBA, NBA ELITE 11 represents the future of basketball videogames by providing a gameplay experience you simply won’t find anywhere else on the market.”

Picked second overall in the 2007 NBA Entry Draft, Durant has accumulated an impressive list of accomplishments in his short professional career, including being named the 2008 T-Mobile NBA Rookie of the Year. Additionally, he will be representing the USA in the 2010 FIBA World Championships this summer in Turkey.

Durant is only the third player in EA SPORTS history to be featured both on the pack of an NCAA and an NBA licensed product. Durant was featured on the cover of NCAA March Madness 08.

JBHuskers
06-22-2010, 11:48 AM
Definitely a good choice.

morsdraconis
06-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Awesome!

Oklahoma City has become my favorite team. Durant is so quiet but he's a monster and once Westbrook truly works on his midrange jumper, he'll be a VERY good player. They have the potential to be a very good team next year.

cdj
06-22-2010, 03:52 PM
Gamespot has a Hands-On Preview of the game from E3 (http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6266744/nba-elite-11-first-hands-on).

cdj
06-24-2010, 08:51 PM
Here's a great video from GameSpot at E3 showing off ELITE and the control system (http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6266812/). Probably the best game media/info to date.

morsdraconis
06-24-2010, 09:12 PM
Here's a great video from GameSpot at E3 showing off ELITE and the control system (http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6266812/). Probably the best game media/info to date.

I completely agree. That's an amazing video.

Did NBA Live have something like The Association from the 2k series? Or did they happen to have the create a player and play through your career mode like the 2k series? Both modes were the big selling points for me and the 2k series (especially 2k10 and the play through your career mode).

cdj
06-24-2010, 09:14 PM
All but confirmed, ELITE will finally see something like that with Be A Pro but there's no details on how it will work. There was no Association or Career Mode in Live 09 or 10, at least.

morsdraconis
06-24-2010, 11:21 PM
All but confirmed, ELITE will finally see something like that with Be A Pro but there's no details on how it will work. There was no Association or Career Mode in Live 09 or 10, at least.

Cool. Hopefully they have a Association mode or something like it. Those modes are what really give these games staying power (especially if they have the draft truly be deep and not just be a bunch of crappy players and like 3 good/decent players).

cdj
07-13-2010, 08:55 PM
Another look at the shooting controls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHAfGCJBQGw

With the free agent frenzy, I'm more anxious for an NBA game than I've been in a long time. That excitement will probably end when everyone online is using Miami.

Kingpin32
07-13-2010, 09:10 PM
Thats why I never play basketball games online.

cdj
07-13-2010, 09:12 PM
Thats why I never play basketball games online.

It'll probably be Miami, Lakers, Bulls, Celtics, Magic and that's it unless some team has a couple 3-point shooters they can routinely hit 40-50% with.

cdj
07-28-2010, 07:29 PM
The first ELITE blog is supposed to be out sometime this week.

'hotwater10' has posted a facial comparison of Brandon Jennings from Live 10 to ELITE.

http://imgur.com/BeoIA.png
Courtesy: NBA Live Series Center (http://forums.nba-live.com/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=74222)

JBHuskers
07-28-2010, 07:51 PM
Hope he doesn't get in "hot water" for posting it :D :D :D

Kingpin32
07-28-2010, 09:03 PM
Hope he doesn't get in "hot water" for posting it :D :D :D

:smh::smh::smh: sooo corny!:D:smh:

cdj
07-31-2010, 03:08 AM
Two pieces of info on Friday about the game. The dev blog talks about the real-time physics in some detail, but neither disclosed any unannounced items. It sounds like the next item out will be a video and there's also an announcement of some sort coming on Tuesday.

- Real Physics in NBA Elite 11 (http://nbaelite.easports.com/update.action?updateId=update-6.xml) by Software Engineer Geoff Harrower

- A new hands-on preview (http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/110/1109702p1.html) from IGN's Nate Ahearn

JeffHCross
07-31-2010, 12:41 PM
As soon you remove the two player animations from NBA LIVE, there is a very glaring hole in defense which makes it completely ineffective. It became clear that the gameplay engine was relying on the these two player animations to prevent the ball carrier from getting to the rim. We realized that we’d have to start from scratch and rebuild the defensive systems in the game from the ground up.Awesome. Now ... if we could see the same words somewhere else ...

JBHuskers
07-31-2010, 05:46 PM
Awesome. Now ... if we could see the same words somewhere else ...

Where? ;)

JeffHCross
07-31-2010, 07:47 PM
Ass :P

cdj
08-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Awesome. Now ... if we could see the same words somewhere else ...

Where? ;)

When NBA 2K11 posts more of their features, we'll share that in the proper thread, JHC. :)

JeffHCross
08-01-2010, 01:53 PM
When NBA 2K11 posts more of their features, we'll share that in the proper thread, JHC. :):D That post had nothing to do with 2k11, or any NBA game, actually.

cdj
08-01-2010, 10:32 PM
:D That post had nothing to do with 2k11, or any NBA game, actually.

I know...was just being a smart aleck. :P

Another screen of Brandon Jennings and some big game info is supposed to be out on Tuesday.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs173.snc4/37981_433043202304_80296042304_4426039_6431925_n.j pg

JeffHCross
08-01-2010, 10:36 PM
The funniest thing about the Brandon Jennings face comparison pic the other day was that I have no idea which is which. Which makes the comparison either great or absolutely ugly.

Kingpin32
08-01-2010, 10:37 PM
The funniest thing about the Brandon Jennings face comparison pic the other day was that I have no idea which is which. Which makes the comparison either great or absolutely ugly.

I think the one on the left is from Live, and the one on the right is Elite.

JeffHCross
08-01-2010, 10:47 PM
That was my assumption as well, and frankly I think the Live pic (or left one, whichever game it is) looks considerably better. Now, I don't particularly know what Brandon Jennings looks like in real life, but the right pic looks fairly inhuman.

EDIT: Scratch that. After finding a real pic it looks pretty accurate. He does have an unusual facial structure.

UGA14
08-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Tats, he looks darker in the right image as well, and the latest image shown.

cdj
08-03-2010, 02:07 PM
In addition to Jam coming with all new copies of the game, pre-ordering the game from EB Games/Gamestop also give this bonus:

Reserve NBA Elite 11 and receive a GameStop exclusive Jordan Brand Boost Pack. The boost pack unlocks a pair of Jordan XI shoes and valuable experience points that give you an immediate head start in the all-new Become Legendary Mode! Available online and in-store while supplies last.

I'm guessing Become Legendary Mode is their new Be A Pro mode.

morsdraconis
08-03-2010, 05:09 PM
In addition to Jam coming with all new copies of the game, pre-ordering the game from EB Games/Gamestop also give this bonus:

Reserve NBA Elite 11 and receive a GameStop exclusive Jordan Brand Boost Pack. The boost pack unlocks a pair of Jordan XI shoes and valuable experience points that give you an immediate head start in the all-new Become Legendary Mode! Available online and in-store while supplies last.

I'm guessing Become Legendary Mode is their new Be A Pro mode.

Interesting. Glad to see they are doing the Be A Pro Mode thing as well. That was one thing I was worried about since with most pro games, that is the thing I'm going to play most often.

Just not that interested though. They're REALLY going to have to step up their game for me not to just get NBA 2k11...

JBHuskers
08-04-2010, 09:30 AM
Go about 30 seconds in and you'll notice the ESPN presentation for NBA Elite 11.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPyYbOn24dg

cdj
08-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Sounds like there won't be an NBA Elite blog or info this week, but a blog and more next week.

cdj
08-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Well, no waiting for next week. Three short clips of some game highlights.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=452605657447&ref=mf

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=452607357447&ref=mf

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=452609827447&ref=mf

JBHuskers
08-06-2010, 12:19 PM
So ready for this game!

Kingpin32
08-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Although 2K has Jordan, Elite is looking pretty good right now. Its up in the air for me out of Elite and 2K.

I OU a Beatn
08-07-2010, 02:56 PM
I'll probably get both. I'll DEFINITELY play the demo and read the reviews of both before I do, though. Both demos of '10 and 2k10 were terrible, especially 2k10. I haven't bought a basketball game in years, though, so I might have to suck it up and buy them even if they aren't very good. I don't like shooting with the sticks, so hopefully there's a way to turn that off.

cdj
08-07-2010, 03:08 PM
I'll probably get both. I'll DEFINITELY play the demo and read the reviews of both before I do, though. Both demos of '10 and 2k10 were terrible, especially 2k10. I haven't bought a basketball game in years, though, so I might have to suck it up and buy them even if they aren't very good. I don't like shooting with the sticks, so hopefully there's a way to turn that off.

I'm pretty sure ELITE has said there will be an option to use button controls, trying to get ahead of and avoid the outrage that ensued with FNR4.

I OU a Beatn
08-07-2010, 03:30 PM
Yeah, I'm hoping at least. I really don't like having to use the sticks for things like shooting or throwing a ball. Just seems awkward to me.

JeffHCross
08-07-2010, 03:32 PM
I like it for hockey and baseball, but it doesn't work nearly as well in basketball. And whichever game it was that used the SixAxis for shooting free throws ... I guess that was CH2k8. That was horrible.

morsdraconis
08-07-2010, 03:39 PM
I REALLY like the quick passing thing that EA did in NCAA Basketball 10 with the right stick. Makes running breaks WAY easier. I hope they include that ability in Elite as well.

cdj
08-10-2010, 09:28 AM
A teaser trailer for Become Legendary mode (Be a Pro)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtQ6aJMo7rs&feature=player_embedded

Two more quick dev vids:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=453706167447&ref=mf

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=453709802447

cdj
08-10-2010, 10:33 PM
IGN preview of Become Legendary mode (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/111/1111534p1.html).

Based on the article, I get the impression they planned on getting Jordan involved with their game & this mode, but were beaten to the punch by 2K. The feature does sound pretty interesting and I'm not usually a guy who is big on 'Superstar'/'Be a Pro' modes (except for NHL).

WhoIsDo
08-10-2010, 10:46 PM
Definitely looking forward to Elite, especially since I had a good bit of hands on time with it so far. NBA Jam is a plus, but wish it had the Remix tour.

cdj
08-10-2010, 10:54 PM
Hey Doug! Glad to see you on-board! I'm anxious to hear your thoughts on the final version of the game as compared to when you played it during development.

cdj
08-12-2010, 11:15 AM
New blog on Post Play from Gameplay Producer Novell Thomas (http://nbaelite.easports.com/update.action?updateId=update-8.xml).

http://ll.assets.ea.com/nawp/na/u/f/GPO/easports/nbaelite/nbaelite11/Misc/Blog%20Screens/ryan_s-image_640x360.jpg

http://ll.assets.ea.com/nawp/na/u/f/GPO/easports/nbaelite/nbaelite11/Misc/Blog%20Screens/ryan_s-image_450x856.jpg

cdj
08-17-2010, 10:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28OU9-9b27U

morsdraconis
08-17-2010, 10:55 PM
I gotta say, they are certainly talking the talk. I just hope their game actually walks the walk cause I'm pretty sure 2k11 isn't going to do much to improve their engine.

cdj
08-25-2010, 04:54 PM
Here's a lengthy ESPN Video Games preview (http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/videogames/blog/_/name/thegamer/id/5497388/breaking-nba-elites-become-legendary-easba-modes?readmore=fullstory) of the Become Legendary and EASBA Modes in NBA ELITE:

BECOME LEGENDARY

In its first year, can "NBA Elite" really contend with the juggernaut that is "NBA 2K11"? If EA Sports hopes to make a dent, they need multiple gameplay modes to really breakthrough and become hits, both online and offline.

Luckily for EA, the producer of "Elite" think they have those hits (and the gameplay to match) with online leagues known as the EASBA (EA Sports Basketball Association) and an offline single-player experience called Become Legendary.

"The whole concept behind Become Legendary is that you take a unique path in order to become a unique type of NBA legend," explains producer Sean Campbell. "We're trying to capture the feeling of working your way into the NBA and being able to create your own type of legendary NBA career, not based on expectation of tradition. If you're a point guard, you don't necessarily have to play like a traditional point guard. You don't have to get assists, steals, and be a good free throw shooter to progress through the mode. If you want to be a legendary point guard who wins the scoring title and rebounding title, you can do that. If you want to be a center who focuses on three-point shooting, offensive rebounding, and steals, you can do that. It's the idea of becoming a legend in your own way."

The mode starts out in a game called The Jordan Brand Draft Showcase where your created character gets to play alongside and against some of this years best rookies. It's a single-game event, and based on your performance, you're given an ESPN projected mock draft position. This game will also be available in "Elite's" demo, and if you play the demo, you will be able to carry over your draft position and your created character into "Elite" once you purchase the game.

"Based on your performance, you're drafted into the NBA, then you start out playing as a rookie in the league," says Campbell. "It's full customization from your face, tattoos, accessories, and shoes to your jump shot style and dunk package. And the one thing to mention with the shoes is you start off only being able to use the generic version, but as you progress through the mode, there are 23 legend levels that you progress through, and there are three levels that let you unlock packages of Jordan shoes. Level 5, for example, you become a member of the Brand Jordan team and are given some shoes. As you progress through the mode, you unlock more of the classic Jordan shoes that you can then put on your character."

As you play through the mode, your character is rated every game on his offense, defense, and team play. Adds Campbell: "So while you're free to play whatever style you want, like a shoot-first point guard, the team play grade holds you accountable to your team and forces you to play good basketball. Then every time you reach a specific statistical threshold, like collect 10 assists, you gain a statistical level. So you can try to be the next Dennis Rodman and try to fill out all of your rebounding levels if you want, or you can spread out your stats and try to be more versatile. Hopefully this encourages users to create their own type of player as nothing is based purely by position. There are also points given for awards like end of season championships and winning stat categories as well as individual game performance like a triple double (this is called leaving your fingerprints on the game). For example, to reach Level 22, you're going to need around 2,000 award points. So if you want to be like Allen Iverson and win the scoring title but not win any championships, you can do that. Or you can be the role player who just hits threes but wins nine championships and still become a legend. The idea is you can combine your statistics and your awards in infinite ways in order to progress through the mode."

The mode enables you to play up to 25 seasons as you try to attain legendary status (and shoes), but it shouldn't take that long in order to become a top star (besides, who wants to be the old man of the NBA). After each season, your player will go through the offseason, and there will be trade offers as well as contract signings. "We've also added bounce backs and setbacks into the mode," adds Campbell. "If you have a bad game and maybe shoot only 33-percent from the field and commit 9 turnovers, in your next game, you get a bounce back objective that says: Shoot 45-percent and commit less than 5 turnovers. If you do that, you're given bounce back points that help grow your character. We just feel like these are true to life components of life and basketball and trying to become a legend. You can't let bad performances get you down and you can't erase them. This is your chance to grow."

EASBA

Aside from Become Legendary mode, "NBA Elite" also offers the exciting EASBA online league where you create a separate character outside of your single-player legend, and play alongside other gamers similar to the Be a Pro mode in EA's "NHL" series.

"We separated it into two modes in order to keep gamers from creating these monsters offline and then bringing them online," Campbell explains. "We don't want any cheesing."

The EASBA is an online league where you create a player, but this time EA starts you off in the 70-range. Throughout the mode, you work your way up the 23 levels similar to Become Legendary, but according to producer Garreth Reeder, characters in the EASBA will be capped around the 90 area in order to keep games competitive. "That way, no matter how high you get, it's not like player skill will jump from a rookie with a 30 rating to somebody who has maxed out his character at 99," he explains.

"After creating your player, if you don't know anybody online, you can play pickup games with your player and try to level him up," Reeder continues. "At the same time, you will be scouted by other players and teams who might see your stats and grades on the leaderboards. Then, once you get on a team, or create your own team, it's up to you to show up to your games. Games can be played with as few as 2 users up to playing with 5 users per team, and once you get on a team, it's all about increasing your pro level through grades, games played, and wins. After each level, you gain XP to build your character."

On a team level, your squad starts off in a little high-school sized gym with not much fan support, but then the more wins you get, you start getting more fan support and you move up into bigger and better arenas. "There are four arenas total that you unlock as you get better," adds Reeder, "then whatever team is the home team during that battle, you get to see their court.

"It's really cool when you start off because you don't have commentary and you have maybe 50-percent fan support and a tiny gym. But if I match up against a really good team, you're going to hear the ESPN commentating crew talking about the EA Sports Basketball Association, and you're going to be playing in a nice gym. It's a great way to make it feel like the progression of your team actually means something."

The other big thing associated with the EASBA is the addition of seasonal play and playoffs to the mode. "Each season is a month, and there will be three divisions -- Elite, Pro, and Amateur," Reeder explains. "So as you play your games throughout the month, you're trying to get into the best division you can. Then once the season ends, we start the playoffs and whatever division you qualify for at the end of the season, you enter that playoff bracket."

Playoffs are a 16 team knockout tournament. Think March Madness on a smaller scale.

Adds Reeder: "You need to win four in a row to essentially win your playoff, then we have a ton of awards and trophies for teams that finish with a good regular season record and win the playoffs. Just a lot of cool stuff to showoff how good your squad is.

"Then the next month, it's another free-for-all as everyone tries to qualify for the next set of playoffs. We've been having a blast playing and watching each other create characters. Some people like to create the slow seven-footer who can rebound and other guys like to create point guards and move the ball. There's a lot of yelling and screaming and passing the ball around as everyone is working to get those good grades. Gamers are really going to have a lot of fun with this."

As we learned with "NHL's" Be a Pro, it's one thing to score the game-winner against the computer, but it's something entirely different when you're the one who elevates your team of friends to that next level of greatness.

And that's what being an elite player is truly all about.

morsdraconis
08-25-2010, 06:30 PM
VERY cool sounding.

Wish my internet wasn't so shitty cause the EASBA sounds pretty damn cool.

cdj
08-28-2010, 08:07 AM
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=460648927447

JeffHCross
08-29-2010, 12:56 AM
Become Lengendary definitely sounds like a good copy/borrow/steal of Be A Pro. Still waiting on something on the football field to match up.

What I'm really waiting for is more details on the next Fight Night's single-player mode. They're touting it as "something people won't expect from an EA Sports game". As a guy interesting in game design, I love the idea of something that breaks the mold.

Rudy
08-29-2010, 05:30 AM
Pastapadre released some videos and I guess this game is getting hammered on OS. I bought and enjoyed NBA Live two years ago (NBA Live 09?) but if I get a basketball game this year I can only see myself getting NBA 2K11.

Seriously. I watch this 2K11 video and I think I'm watching a real game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHblY7Sx5P0

Granted, this Elite video doesn't look bad but it doesn't look as good as 2K11 and the people playing it apparently find it hard to just pick up and play. 2K10 beat Live 10 pretty badly last year and it could be worse this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-APBRcktTs&feature=player_embedded#!

cdj
08-29-2010, 08:08 AM
I've only watched a few bits and pieces (slow loading vids), but the guys playing the game aren't helping but hopefully the final version plays better than what the thoughts on OS are saying. The game does seem very fast in the little I've seen, but the guys playing are pushing the ball up every play and making lots of cross-court passes for turnovers.

On Live 10, the lower the difficulty the more of a dunkfest the game became - including dunking from the FT line like Boozer in vid 'elite 13'. :eek: In these vids, it does seem dunk heavy so I wonder what setting they have it on. IIRC, default on Live 10 was the second lowest difficulty and I think most people (hardcore basketball gamers) bumped it up a level and it wasn't quite so easy there. The lower difficulties were basically arcade mode with the higher difficulty levels being a lot more realistic.

On vid 'elite 16', Gasol is a beast. :D The ESPN stuff looks nice and I like the pre-game actual ESPN graphics for "NBA Tuesday," etc. That's stuff I'd like to see all other sports games emulate.

JeffHCross
08-29-2010, 10:43 AM
Damn Rudy, you weren't kidding. If it wasn't for the markers saying who was being controlled, I would have said that 2k11 vid is a real vid.

I believe it was "Elite 13" that has Carlos Boozer dunking from the free-throw line ... over/through somebody. That's ridiculous.

I OU a Beatn
08-29-2010, 11:48 AM
2k11 looks absolutely amazing while Elite looks like complete garbage. Hopefully things improve by the time it releases or it wont even be a decision for me.

gschwendt
08-29-2010, 01:39 PM
I believe it was "Elite 13" that has Carlos Boozer dunking from the free-throw line ... over/through somebody. That's ridiculous.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEihrYZjrws#t=0m42s

JeffHCross
08-29-2010, 03:25 PM
Yeah, that. Ridiculous.

morsdraconis
08-29-2010, 07:20 PM
Yeah, that. Ridiculous.

That's just disgusting. Once again, EA just doesn't know...

skipwondah33
08-29-2010, 09:32 PM
The camera recording for Elite makes it hard to watch.

Why does 2K's jersey and player models look so funny? It always looks like their jersey has a starched-stuck in air look, like it doesn't fall on the shoulders its like an inch away

cdj
08-29-2010, 11:07 PM
One of the game's devs has been posting at OS and he weighed in on the videos. Long posts, so click Spoiler to read. He says there will be extended 5 on 5 gameplay vids this week with experienced players so hopefully it looks better than the vids from this weekend.

Man, I think it took an hour to read through this thread

Where to start...

It has been quite obvious to everyone on the dev team that when you give the user more and more control, they have the freedom to make the game look really bad.

I agree with whoever said it here, that it's unfortunate that these videos are the first impression a lot of people are getting simply because it's inexperienced users playing an unfinished product.

But at the same time, this does give you an idea of what our focus was for the year. Control and a realistic and balanced gameplay experience. And more than anything else, a fun game to play.

Through all the negative responses to the videos, what stands out to me is that the people who played the game enjoyed it, and that means we succeeded in our goal.

We've been saying it all along that the game is not going to sell itself through videos, but rather through people getting their hands on the demo. The fact that the guys who went to the event wanted more time with the game is a good sin to me.

Now, onto some specifics that stood out to me...

-the game speed seemed weird in the videos. I'm not trying to make excuses, but what I saw in the videos doesn't really match what I see when I play the game in person. I have no explanation for that, and even the gys who were at the event made similar comments. I'd be worried if I were a fan seeing these videos as a first impression, but this doesn't worry me at all because I know for a fact the game doesn't feel or look as fast as these videos. It kind of feels like the framerate of the recording is causing some kind of illusion, but I really don't get it. Not worried other than the impression people are getting

-the guy who hit all his shots with Kobe doesn't worry me. I'm sure that was on default difficulty which is quite forgiving, especially with good shooters. I don't expect anyone on this board to play at that difficulty level, nor would I recommend it except for your first few games while you get used to the controls

-the boozer dunk everyone is talking about...yeah that looked horrible. Totally agree. It looked extra weird though, and again I kind of want to blame the recording...same as the game speed. But the distance he took off from...since I haven't been in the office I can't say if it's been fixed or not, but it was discussed after the reaction to the Artest video so I know it was on the table. Not sure when this build was from, so that one may be fixed in the final game.

-the ugly jumping on blocks and ugly collisions people are talking about...the jumping is intentional and that's what the final product will look like. That was one of the tradeoffs we made where we choose gameplay and responsiveness over pretty animations. Feel free to disagree with the choice, but the height and time it takes to get off the ground was deliberately chosen for specific reasons. The collisions however were being improved right to the very end. Not sure what build this was so I can't say if those improvements were in or not, but they were likely still being improved.

-the overall "spastic" play...I blame that on the users. Feel free to be skeptical about that, but when we release our 5v5 footage next week I'm expecting it to be a video of Connor playing against Novell. It some sense it's going to be good that you guys see both sets of videos so you can see what a massive difference a skilled and basketball savvy player makes to the look of the game. When you do realize that, you'll understand to what degree we are giving up control to the user.

I don't really want to make excuses, what you saw in these videos is Elite 11 no question about it. But because of the control the users have the game can look really bad. But it can also look brilliant. However it always feels good and that's the most important thing.

I'm thrilled the people who got a chance to play it had fun. That's good news for us and makes me even more excited for when the demo drops. I think we're going to win a lot of people over with it.

I want to say thanks to the guys who gave their impressions. You were very fair, honest and insightful with your comments and appreciate that.

It's unfortunate that people are focusing more on the visuals in the videos, but once people get their hands on it and have time to learn how to play I think people will enjoy it.

Looking forward to our 5v5 footage that will come out next week

[Discussing Game Speed]
That's the thing that's really confusing me. It looks so wrong in the videos, but I'm glad you liked it. We slowed it down 3 times in the last month and I really liked where we ended up with it. It felt pretty realistic to me.

But it looks so wrong in the videos.

Strange.

[On long range dunks]
Tuning that distance is probably one of the easiest things we can do. I can't say what was done to it in the last 2 weeks and what was in the build these guys played, but if that's the biggest problem people have with the game we're in a pretty good place.

Rudy
08-30-2010, 05:31 AM
When do the demos come out for Elite and NBA2K11?

I have to say these two games are starting to look like MLB the Show (2K11) vs. Elite (MLB 2K10). The champion is the favourite as well as the prettiest looking game with great animations. But maybe Elite wins some fans over by the controls. MLB 2K10 won me over just because I was tired of the Show (it hasn't changed a whole lot in 5 years) and the new controls made it appealing to me. That said, the Show slaughtered MLB 2K10 in the sales department.

JBHuskers
08-30-2010, 09:51 AM
So let me get this straight, do we know the difficulty on these videos everyone was blowing their load on? Also it's a whole new scheme that these kids have never seen. No need to throw grenades just yet.

skipwondah33
08-30-2010, 10:56 AM
You know the video game world....when it doubt...trash it

morsdraconis
08-30-2010, 11:12 AM
I'm going to check both games out anyway. Hopefully 2k changes things enough to were it's appealing again (and they get rid of the shitty animations) but if not, it'll be Elite instead and I'm fine with that (as long as it doesn't play like a complete pile of trash).

cdj
08-30-2010, 12:45 PM
When do the demos come out for Elite and NBA2K11?

I have to say these two games are starting to look like MLB the Show (2K11) vs. Elite (MLB 2K10). The champion is the favourite as well as the prettiest looking game with great animations. But maybe Elite wins some fans over by the controls. MLB 2K10 won me over just because I was tired of the Show (it hasn't changed a whole lot in 5 years) and the new controls made it appealing to me. That said, the Show slaughtered MLB 2K10 in the sales department.

No definitive dates yet for the demos, just sometime in September.

Your example is probably pretty comparable. I expect ELITE to be rough around the edges, but am expecting the controls (possibly along with difficulty levels and sliders) to help make the game pretty enjoyable. "Become Legendary" and the EASBA sound like two great features.

2K does a great job with their bball game and save for the player models, it does look very realistic. They have added a lot of animations over the years, which I find funny since online gamers have shifted to ripping on animation heavy games the last few years. It seems like NBA 2K usually gets ripped for their online connectivity & features. There has been more people saying they feel the game is the same the past few editions, but why would they completely change a winning formula? Until EA gets their NBA game at a level to challenge NBA 2K, 2K doesn't have to reinvent the wheel.

Sales-wise, NBA 2K will defeat ELITE - there is no doubt in my mind. My personal guess is that EA is hoping packaging JAM will give them a boost in sales and are also hoping the controls will provide such a unique experience that many people will give it a try at some point (and hopefully enjoy it).

cdj
08-30-2010, 12:55 PM
So let me get this straight, do we know the difficulty on these videos everyone was blowing their load on? Also it's a whole new scheme that these kids have never seen. No need to throw grenades just yet.

It's funny - anyone who played Live 10 on the easiest (and maybe even the second lowest - default) knows that you could pull off a lot of dunks and some from pretty far away. I can understand a random community member not knowing as most didn't play Live, but people running major sports gaming sites should have half a clue before putting the Boozer dunk on the cross. It's the equivalent of watching NCAA FB vids on Freshman and Varsity. Broken tackles run wild (especially on FR), but not so much on AA/Heisman.

Personally, I found the vids useless in determining anything significant about the game. Is the CPU AI better when running the 2-3, is the off-ball AI better on double-teams and defensive pressure, and will being in the shooter's face drop their percentage on long-range shots? Those are some of the issues that really hurt Live 10 and the vids from this past weekend were chaotic. A few of the guys who played actually posted at OS and said they had a lot of fun despite not picking up the controls as quickly as they would have liked. The controls are probably relatively easy to pick up, but it likely takes hours or a day - not one game or two.

What kills me is that people say they want competition in sports titles, but then you read the train wreck at OS re: ELITE vids vs 2K and it's clear that the competition only breeds huge bias and people looking to troll while hoping the competitor of their preferred title fails. I'm preaching to the choir here as I get the perception the community here wants both games to be great, but there's a lot of nasty and ignorant comments getting thrown around about each title out there. Some of the stuff in threads & comments at OS, pastapadre, and the EA Forums are just loyal fans of each franchise attacking each other.

JBHuskers
08-30-2010, 01:37 PM
I think it's mostly people like to act overdramatic at every tidbit that seems to be negative and blow it up like you're disgusted and never touching the product ever again (see Microsoft's XBL Rate Increase (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?871-XBOX-Live-Subscription-Price-Increase-Coming-November-2010&p=21096#post21096)).

morsdraconis
08-30-2010, 01:38 PM
What kills me is that people say they want competition in sports titles, but then you read the train wreck at OS re: ELITE vids vs 2K and it's clear that the competition only breeds huge bias and people looking to troll while hoping the competitor of their preferred title fails. I'm preaching to the choir here as I get the perception the community here wants both games to be great, but there's a lot of nasty and ignorant comments getting thrown around about each title out there. Some of the stuff in threads & comments at OS, pastapadre, and the EA Forums are just loyal fans of each franchise attacking each other.

Oh absolutely. It's the dumbest shit I've ever seen and a reason why I stay away from forums like that to begin with. I'm not a fan of either game diehard style like NCAA. I enjoy playing NBA basketball games (especially the start from scratch becoming a pro stuff) and I'm fairly decent at them but not anywhere close to NCAA or football in general.

I just want a game that doesn't look like trash, lag really bad when it pulls back from the court and shows the fans (I'm looking at you 2K), plays decently enough where I can get in the middle as a center and feel like I have a freakin' prayer of playing the position correctly without weird ass warping and shit, and in general is just fun to play. Do that, and I'll love your game no matter who makes the damn thing.

morsdraconis
08-30-2010, 01:45 PM
I think it's mostly people like to act overdramatic at every tidbit that seems to be negative and blow it up like you're disgusted and never touching the product ever again (see Microsoft's XBL Rate Increase (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?871-XBOX-Live-Subscription-Price-Increase-Coming-November-2010&p=21096#post21096)).

That's directed at what I said and it's the principle of the thing. During a time where the economy is only getting worse, $60 for a year of service that's really nothing special, is pretty damn ridiculous. Sure, there are places to get it cheaper (and in more than 12 month cards) but it's going to increase in price for those as well. Instead of $35 for 12 months from Amazon, it's going to end up increasing to freakin' $45 from them which makes it still an increase of $10 no matter what (and I'll be EXTREMELY surprised if it doesn't increase on places like Amazon as well).

JBHuskers
08-30-2010, 02:32 PM
No it's directed at a TON of hate (e)mail that Major Nelson received today which equals in comparison to blow-ups with NBA Elite at OS and Pasta's sites. The whole "sky is falling" mentality.

morsdraconis
08-30-2010, 02:44 PM
No it's directed at a TON of hate (e)mail that Major Nelson received today which equals in comparison to blow-ups with NBA Elite at OS and Pasta's sites. The whole "sky is falling" mentality.

Sadly man, that's the internet for you.

It's always "the sky is falling" mentality over every little thing. OS isn't even half as bad as other sites I've seen. At least threads there stay on topic for more than the first page (or the first few posts).

cdj
09-01-2010, 06:20 AM
OS will be posting an exclusive 5 minute gameplay video later today.

morsdraconis
09-01-2010, 12:41 PM
OS will be posting an exclusive 5 minute gameplay video later today.

Well, that's good. Hopefully it'll actually look good and won't have weird warping stuff happening.

cdj
09-01-2010, 12:46 PM
Well, that's good. Hopefully it'll actually look good and won't have weird warping stuff happening.

I'm not sure what the OS video will be, but the community manager stated that sometime this week there will be gameplay video with two of the producers playing each other. Hopefully that shows off some of the AI more than the craziness we saw last week from the event in CA.

cdj
09-01-2010, 06:56 PM
Some new screens:

http://ll.assets.ea.com/nawp/na/u/f/GPO/easports/nbaelite/nbaelite11/976x549/Elite_DrivetoWin_976x549.jpg

http://ll.assets.ea.com/nawp/na/u/f/GPO/easports/nbaelite/nbaelite11/976x549/Real_Physics_976x549.jpg

http://ll.assets.ea.com/nawp/na/u/f/GPO/easports/nbaelite/nbaelite11/976x549/Elite_GameinyourHands_976x549.jpg

http://ll.assets.ea.com/nawp/na/u/f/GPO/easports/nbaelite/nbaelite11/976x549/ELITE_Lebronsizeshisman_976x549.jpg

http://ll.assets.ea.com/nawp/na/u/f/GPO/easports/nbaelite/nbaelite11/976x549/ELITE_Durant3ptplay_976x549.jpg

The official website has been updated with some additional details on features. This one sounds familiar:

You’re the ultimate star in the all-new Become Legendary - Be a Pro mode. Pick up the demo and start your career in the Jordan Draft Showcase to get drafted into the NBA! Once you land on your new NBA team, work your way through the 23 Legend Levels creating your own unique career, making ESPN headlines and gaining endorsement deals on your way to becoming legendary.

cdj
09-01-2010, 11:01 PM
5 minute gameplay video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPzYEoZqN1U&feature=sub

- Deliberately slower compared to vids posted last week.

Description of video:
NBA ELITE 11 is back with the first of two gameplay videos featuring 5 on 5 action. This video is a user vs. user matchup with NBA ELITE Gameplay Producer Novell Thomas taking on NBA Community Manager Yaw Obiri-Yeboah (also known as blackflash83 on the forums) . The game is being played on a Pre-final build with some tuning left to do but it provides a good representation of how the game will play once you developed your skills with the new Hands-On control.

Be sure to check out some of the quick plays being called during half court offensive sequences (press X on the 360 to begin a quick play or the Square button on PS3) and the importance of playing the passing lanes as balls can get deflected. You have complete control this year in NBA ELITE 11.

morsdraconis
09-01-2010, 11:07 PM
Just came over to post that.

Not sure what to think. On the one hand, it looks WAY smoother, but I just don't know. Probably going to have to be one of those games where I play the demo and then truly make up my mind.

cdj
09-01-2010, 11:15 PM
Not sure what to think. On the one hand, it looks WAY smoother, but I just don't know. Probably going to have to be one of those games where I play the demo and then truly make up my mind.

That's how I feel as well. I wish we knew what difficulty it was on as that may be why the game seemed forgiving on some shots I thought shouldn't have gone in. Some of the movement/animations are stiff, but that's somewhat understandable with the new engine IMO. I'd like to see a User vs. CPU game, but realize I probably won't see if my issues with Live 10 were addressed until I get to play the demo. It does look a lot better with these two guys playing versus the randoms from last week, so they were definitely correct on that aspect.

JeffHCross
09-02-2010, 12:00 AM
It's funny - anyone who played Live 10 on the easiest (and maybe even the second lowest - default) knows that you could pull off a lot of dunks and some from pretty far away. I can understand a random community member not knowing as most didn't play Live, but people running major sports gaming sites should have half a clue before putting the Boozer dunk on the cross. It's the equivalent of watching NCAA FB vids on Freshman and Varsity. Broken tackles run wild (especially on FR), but not so much on AA/Heisman.Well, to me that goes to design as much as everything else. Yes, Varsity is considerably easier than AA or Heisman ... but it doesn't defy physics. Dunks from the free-throw line shouldn't be possible, no matter the difficulty.

cdj
09-02-2010, 07:56 AM
Well, to me that goes to design as much as everything else. Yes, Varsity is considerably easier than AA or Heisman ... but it doesn't defy physics. Dunks from the free-throw line shouldn't be possible, no matter the difficulty.

Unless their initials are MJ. ;) I agree in that it shouldn't happen, but on the very lowest difficulty I don't have a huge issue with it. Some people just want to have the league & team license and that's all the "sim" or realism they want...beyond that, they want to win every game and take every shot with their favorite/best player. Though, I'm pretty sure the vids were on a low - but not the lowest - difficulty, so I understand why people are upset.

The ELITE community manager posted on OS & the EA Forums yesterday that the team is going to address the issue, so hopefully it's all but gone in retail.

skipwondah33
09-02-2010, 08:44 AM
The hell is Bradon Roy doing while his teammate gets dunked on? lol

Those are some pretty nice looking shots...the one of Lebron is spot on IMO

JeffHCross
09-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Though, I'm pretty sure the vids were on a low - but not the lowest - difficulty, so I understand why people are upset.That's another thing that bothers me about it, actually. Okay, so this is on the NBA equivalent of "Varsity". I get that. I get that it's not the expected difficulty level for OS or TGT players.

But it's the default.

I really think the default difficulty should provide a realistic enough experience that things like this shouldn't happen. Make it easy to make shots, sure, I can agree with that. But dunks from the free throw line ... no.

And yes, I guess what I really meant is "Carlos Boozer shouldn't be able to dunk from the free-throw line", and certainly not in anything other than a dunk contest. I mean, he went through/over a guy too ... even MJ never did that.

cdj
09-02-2010, 04:33 PM
I agree, JHC. I can live with glorified arcade stuff on the easiest difficulty, but on default it's not good for the image of the game. Though, hopefully it will be eradicated completely.

Vid #2 - OKC at DET (User vs. AI) - This vid is on All-Star (equivalent to AA in NCAA FB)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYB7j9HE-sQ

Our second NBA ELITE 11 gameplay video features more 5 on 5 action with NBA ELITE Gameplay Producer Novell Thomas taking on a CPU controlled Oklahoma City Thunder. The game is played on a pre-final build on All Star difficulty. Check out REAL AI in action as Kevin Durant attacks the basket with sequences that he recorded himself. You will be seeing more of these videos leading up to the demo.

morsdraconis
09-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Boy, they really aren't doing themselves a favor with these videos... Animations look good, but man there are some pretty serious flaws.

I'm still going to check out the demo, but if it plays like that, I definitely don't think I'll be getting Elite.

JeffHCross
09-02-2010, 10:26 PM
Not impressed. The pacing seems all wrong.

Rudy
09-03-2010, 06:20 AM
Those videos look better although I'd like to see a side scrolling video. The first video looked like the two producers were deliberately trying to make the game look sim. Many times they could have driven the lane but they chose to just pass it around to appear more sim. That and trying to showcase all the dribble moves. The second video against the cpu seemed better but it still seemed too arcadish. Too many shots going in or getting blocked vs. just misses. A lot of dunks and it seems the path to the basket was on the easy side. I definitely think this game will be geared for the casual gamer and not the sim crowd although sliders could help that.

Who knows - this may actually appeal to me. A lot of people complain that 2K11 hasn't changed much (just like MLB the Show) but since I haven't played 2K basketball since 2K6 College Hoops that won't be a detriment for me. I did buy NBA Live 09 and had fun with that but the gameplay got repetitive and after 25 games of my Pistons season I got bored with it. Either way I won't be buying a basketball game at launch but maybe Christmas. The demos will have a huge influence as to what game I would buy, if any.

cdj
09-03-2010, 12:55 PM
New GameTrailers video on Exclusive Match-ups in Become Legendary: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-matchups-nba-elite-11/703977

morsdraconis
09-03-2010, 01:17 PM
New GameTrailers video on Exclusive Match-ups in Become Legendary: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-matchups-nba-elite-11/703977

Not sure if I like the fact that not only I have to beat my man, but I have to score ridiculous points/assists/rebounds to beat out their best player as well. Someone up and coming isn't going to be compared to fuckin' Dwight Howard or Dwayne Wade.

I mean, going by what they're probably going to do, someone that's even 65 overall has no prayer of being as good as one of those stars that have the complete package. That's just silly.

That's going in the wrong direction, especially if winning the game is so important as well.

Rudy
09-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Am I the only person around who doesn't care about the individual modes like "Be a Legend", "Be a Pro" or whatever else they are called? I always play as the full team.

morsdraconis
09-03-2010, 09:10 PM
Am I the only person around who doesn't care about the individual modes like "Be a Legend", "Be a Pro" or whatever else they are called? I always play as the full team.

I get bored with that too easily. Playing as the superstars against the computer is boring as hell unless I'm playing with my friend. By myself, I play the Be a _ mode.

cdj
09-03-2010, 10:23 PM
Not sure if I like the fact that not only I have to beat my man, but I have to score ridiculous points/assists/rebounds to beat out their best player as well. Someone up and coming isn't going to be compared to fuckin' Dwight Howard or Dwayne Wade.

I mean, going by what they're probably going to do, someone that's even 65 overall has no prayer of being as good as one of those stars that have the complete package. That's just silly.

That's going in the wrong direction, especially if winning the game is so important as well.

I just rewatched the vid and it only says that you will lose points if you lose a match-up to someone lower rated than you. Now this video doesn't explain the whole story of the mode, but that should mean that you won't have to outduel Kobe as a 65 rated rookie.

Their grading scale may not be solely (or even heavily) on points. If it grades like they have in the past in OTP, then you will be benefited by guarding your man effectively, rebounding, etc.

EDIT - Also, watching the vid very closely it shows Durant averaging 11 PPG, so it must factor in the quarter length for more realistic and manageable numbers.

JeffHCross
09-03-2010, 10:27 PM
Not sure if I like the fact that not only I have to beat my man, but I have to score ridiculous points/assists/rebounds to beat out their best player as well. Someone up and coming isn't going to be compared to fuckin' Dwight Howard or Dwayne Wade.In the articles I've read, they specifically said that you're put in competition against someone who is comparable. You won't be compared to Kobe or Howard until your superstar status justifies it.

morsdraconis
09-04-2010, 10:26 PM
Well, that's good. For some reason, I got the impression that not only did you have to outplay your positional opponent but also out play the superstar on the team.

cdj
09-04-2010, 11:18 PM
Another OS exclusive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_5grom1jCw&feature=player_embedded

"Via David Littman.

Hey guys...we will be putting out more and more videos as we drive to finish the game. Next week's videos will be direct capture, because these videos look a bit fast when just filmed with a camera in front of a TV. We will also have more gameplay that has not been seen yet...like put backs, more in-air collisions, hook shots, etc. As we get different dev guys playing the game, they each have different styles, so each set of videos will be different. We will focus on the CPU next week also. I will say that until you feel this game with your own hands (when you get the downloadable demo), it will be tough to understand how much control you truly have over the outcome of the game."

cdj
09-05-2010, 12:05 PM
Another OS exclusive video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVYT_nYjoJk&feature=player_embedded

JBHuskers
09-05-2010, 01:51 PM
solid play at 1:32 of the first vid...

JeffHCross
09-05-2010, 01:55 PM
Just doesn't look/feel right ... something about it that I can't put my finger on.

morsdraconis
09-05-2010, 01:58 PM
Just doesn't look/feel right ... something about it that I can't put my finger on.

I think it's the floaty-ness of it.

Trying to block a shot looks basically impossible.

And the dunk animations look awful. Players look like they have rocket boots or something.

cdj
09-08-2010, 09:31 PM
Gametrailers.com has two exclusive videos on some aspects in Become Legendary: "Fingerprints (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-become-nba-elite-11/704087)" & "Setbacks and Bouncebacks (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-become-nba-elite-11/704089)"

morsdraconis
09-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Interesting system. Definitely more fleshed out than what 2k has had to offer in the past. Just gonna have to play around with the demo and see if I can stand it or not cause 2k is definitely looking the same from everything that I've seen. Looks like the demo for Elite is scheduled for sometime in September.

JeffHCross
09-11-2010, 11:24 PM
I'm definitely hoping that the other developers and studios take a look at what 2k and Elite are doing with their Career modes. Throw in EA MMA and this "revolutionary" system that Fight Night Champion promises, and it's going to be a very interesting year (or so) for the single player sports gamer.

One can only hope we'll start to see features adapted into the other games.

JBHuskers
09-13-2010, 10:11 AM
I'm definitely hoping that the other developers and studios take a look at what 2k and Elite are doing with their Career modes. Throw in EA MMA and this "revolutionary" system that Fight Night Champion promises, and it's going to be a very interesting year (or so) for the single player sports gamer.

One can only hope we'll start to see features adapted into the other games.

Hopefully this carries over to the Tiger and Madden career modes next year. Which have been VERY stale.

cdj
09-14-2010, 07:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LZNco-luXc&feature=player_embedded

Rudy
09-14-2010, 09:53 AM
I think EA is focusing on control too much. Being able to do crazy things with the sticks isn't going to sell games imo. They added dual control sticks to the football games and yet their own numbers show that nobody is using them. That has to be a bad omen for this series. Smooth animations, signature moves and player actions along with making the game look realistic are what fans want. I think most fans would sacrifice control for realism.

cdj
09-17-2010, 07:37 AM
Blog on defensive changes in NBA ELITE 11 (http://nbaelite.easports.com/updates/Defensive_Blog).

Still no word on the release date for the ELITE demo, but if it features the Draft Showcase (as rumored), they may wait until a week before release hoping people who play it will pick up the game the next week to continue their progress. Release the demo too soon and those get invested in it may forget about the game on Oct. 5.

morsdraconis
09-17-2010, 07:50 AM
They're already losing the war in my opinion. They should have WAY more information out about the game already. Supposed to have been doing blogs every week and this is the first blog they've done in like 8 weeks. They need to really crank out the information soon or they're going to lose in advertisement alone.

cdj
09-17-2010, 07:56 AM
They're already losing the war in my opinion. They should have WAY more information out about the game already. Supposed to have been doing blogs every week and this is the first blog they've done in like 8 weeks. They need to really crank out the information soon or they're going to lose in advertisement alone.

I "think" the strategy that they are trying to do is barrage the consumer with a lot of info and details close to release and hope they are more 'fresh' in the consumer's mind than the competition. Though, I don't quite understand what EAC is doing in terms of community interaction and marketing. A few years ago, EAC seemed to know what they were doing and that Tiburon was in the dark ages. Now the roles are reversed. EAC should be glad that most of their games sell themselves, such as FIFA and NHL.

Though, you are correct - the lack of regular blogs, the catering of the game virtually solely to OS (both titles are guilty of that), lack of info, etc. are hurting the title. Early game magazine previews discussed changes to Dynasty Mode (for example) and more, so it seems they are sitting on more info than most would guess. It also hurts (and rubs me the wrong way) that the devs abandoned posting at the EA Forums and AFAIK are only on OS, and I'm not sure how regularly they post there. I do know they left the EA Forums in July and were posting at OS as of a few weeks ago, but have not gone to their ELITE forums in a while.

cdj
09-17-2010, 12:53 PM
From pastapadre (http://www.pastapadre.com/2010/09/17/nba-elite-11-demo-details):

EA Sports has released a video to show off what will be included in the demo for NBA Elite 11. The demo will consist of the 4th quarter of game seven of the NBA Finals, the Jordan Draft Showcase game in Become Legendary mode, and practice mode. So it looks to be a very comprehensive experience with the ability to practice and get used to the new controls, try out the regular game, and try out the career mode. The video also notes that the difficulty level will be adjustable so the normal array of options that EA demos are known for appears to be in tow.

As to when the demo will arrive? Still no word on that which has certainly been notable. Tuesday the 21st looks to be the likely landing date though given that EA Sports MMA is getting its demo on the 28th. Continue on to check out the video and leave your thoughts in the comments!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfHpRZjuJe0&feature=player_embedded

Rudy
09-17-2010, 07:18 PM
The demo is a complete fail if it's released after the game release, particularly 2K11. Fans might be willing to get Elite a shot but want a demo to sway them. If the demo comes out too late those fans will just say, "Screw it" and go pick up 2K11 and never look back.

cdj
09-20-2010, 08:29 PM
PS3 demo available late tonight, 360 demo tomorrow.

CLW
09-22-2010, 06:32 PM
LOL OS has a poll on whether EA should even bother releasing the title and people are pretty much saying Elite is a COMPLETE POS.

cdj
09-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Finally played the demo, completing the tutorial and one quick game.

- After seeing some of the posts at OS, they lowered the bar so the game exceeded expectations there. :D
- The audio and presentation are very sharp.
- It's pretty tough to get the controls down. I understand the shooting, but learning to pass with R2 will take some time and I want to figure out the low post moves.
- I keep wanting to hit R2 for Turbo, another habit I'll have to lose.
- There are some weird animation quirks, but I didn't see anything major in the one game I played (but I have heard about the Bynum/Christ issue which doesn't exist in retail, they say).

Personally, I think I'm going to have play the heck out of the demo to get to a point to develop legit thoughts on the game unless I shift back to button controls - which I don't want to do. In just a 15 walkthrough, I'd say the game is better than what the majority of OS are implying but some there go off the deep end in the EA/2K basketball discussions.

morsdraconis
09-23-2010, 12:47 PM
Finally played the demo, completing the tutorial and one quick game.

- After seeing some of the posts at OS, they lowered the bar so the game exceeded expectations there. :D
- The audio and presentation are very sharp.
- It's pretty tough to get the controls down. I understand the shooting, but learning to pass with R2 will take some time and I want to figure out the low post moves.
- I keep wanting to hit R2 for Turbo, another habit I'll have to lose.
- There are some weird animation quirks, but I didn't see anything major in the one game I played (but I have heard about the Bynum/Christ issue which doesn't exist in retail, they say).

Personally, I think I'm going to have play the heck out of the demo to get to a point to develop legit thoughts on the game unless I shift back to button controls - which I don't want to do. In just a 15 walkthrough, I'd say the game is better than what the majority of OS are implying but some there go off the deep end in the EA/2K basketball discussions.

Well, you have to look at it this way (and this is the way that the majority of people over at OS look at it, including myself):

Elite is for the more casual basketball player that just wants to take the ball down the court with their favorite player, juke the hell out of the defender, and slam it down in another defender's face.

2k11 is for the more sim basketball minded that want the game to play the closest to real basketball as possible.

Elite focuses on the 1 on 1 matchup and doesn't worry about spacing, play calling, or anything like that. Elite's offense consists of doing pick and rolls all game or creating your own shot.

2k11 focuses on the entire package - The in season improvements, the play calling improvements (teams have plays that are ran like they are in real life), the defensive improvements, etc.

In the end, it seems like Elite said well, we can't beat 2k11 for realism, lets make the game more appealing to the audience that just wants to beat the hell out of someone with crazy moves and other silly stuff.

CLW
09-23-2010, 01:40 PM
Well, you have to look at it this way (and this is the way that the majority of people over at OS look at it, including myself):

Elite is for the more casual basketball player that just wants to take the ball down the court with their favorite player, juke the hell out of the defender, and slam it down in another defender's face.

2k11 is for the more sim basketball minded that want the game to play the closest to real basketball as possible.

Elite focuses on the 1 on 1 matchup and doesn't worry about spacing, play calling, or anything like that. Elite's offense consists of doing pick and rolls all game or creating your own shot.

2k11 focuses on the entire package - The in season improvements, the play calling improvements (teams have plays that are ran like they are in real life), the defensive improvements, etc.

In the end, it seems like Elite said well, we can't beat 2k11 for realism, lets make the game more appealing to the audience that just wants to beat the hell out of someone with crazy moves and other silly stuff.

Yeah I HATE the NBA but LOVE College Hoops! I would KILL for a copy of 2K11 College Hoops. Unfortunately, the roster sets I have seen for 2K8 for 10-11 aren't that great.

JBHuskers
09-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Played the Elite demo yesterday....it'll take some getting used to but it definitely isn't the pile of crap that 99% of OS posters are claiming it to be.

cdj
09-23-2010, 03:02 PM
I bumped the difficulty to All-Star so that isn't helping my learning curve, but replaying the Jordan Brand Showcase over and over seems to be helping quite a bit. I've always had trouble with driving on TW with the left stick, so it's no shock that my shooting with the right stick seems to be off as well. I think I am executing a straight shot, but the controller and game beg to differ.

JBHuskers
09-23-2010, 03:03 PM
I bumped the difficulty to All-Star so that isn't helping my learning curve, but replaying the Jordan Brand Showcase over and over seems to be helping quite a bit. I've always had trouble with driving on TW with the left stick, so it's no shock that my shooting with the right stick seems to be off as well. I think I am executing a straight shot, but the controller and game beg to differ.

For me I'm letting go too early.

I OU a Beatn
09-23-2010, 06:35 PM
Honestly, I didn't think it was that bad. I thought the choice to change the camera to a more vertical view was terrible and will alone prevent me from buying the game if I can't change it, but I thought it played well enough. I read the original review on OS which basically said EA shouldn't even release the game and I can say that it's nowhere near that bad. I'd say a solid 7.5.

cdj
09-23-2010, 06:47 PM
You can change the camera angle, even on the demo. That angle makes sense for mastering controls, but it makes it very tough to gauge depth perception. I notice it most on the Jordan Brand Draft Showcase when the camera doesn't flip/rotate as you are D since it is essentially on a Player Lock at that time.

JBHuskers
09-23-2010, 06:52 PM
Yeah I will definitely be changing the camera.

cdj
09-23-2010, 07:52 PM
Here's a blog with some info on additional game controls (http://nbaelite.easports.com/updates/NBAELITE11_DemoBlog). I was wondering how to do some of these things, so maybe it will improve my game.

JeffHCross
09-23-2010, 10:28 PM
LOL OS has a poll on whether EA should even bother releasing the title and people are pretty much saying Elite is a COMPLETE POS.I think the most entertaining part about the 2k11 / Elite release process has been watching sites that are decried as "pro-EA" and "kissing ass" by other web sites being honest about Elite. Pasta's not very impressed with the demo, and it sounds like OS hasn't been either.

Rudy
09-24-2010, 05:33 AM
I didn't even finish one game of the demo. If you don't change the camera before you start the game you can't change it during the game.

It does seem like it wants to cater to the casual gamer by focusing on controls but I find the controls complicated. Won't that piss the casual gamer off? Futhermore, I don't care about being able to dribble between legs or around my back. Having that total control through r-stick movements doesn't appeal to me. I'd much rather have custom animations that make it look like real NBA players. I don't like the r-stick shooting either. I never push straight up as I'm always a bit on an angle. I don't understand 100% control either - ratings still have to have an effect I would assume.

If I get a basketball game this year it will be 2K11.

CLW
09-24-2010, 06:37 AM
I think the most entertaining part about the 2k11 / Elite release process has been watching sites that are decried as "pro-EA" and "kissing ass" by other web sites being honest about Elite. Pasta's not very impressed with the demo, and it sounds like OS hasn't been either.

I think Pasta, OS and most of the community sites are generally pretty fair when more than one company makes the "same" game (i.e. 2K v. Elite). However, I think the "pro-EA" and "kiss ass" labels are somewhat fair to some sites for the titles that EA has exclusive rights to.

gschwendt
09-27-2010, 06:15 PM
NBA Elite has been delayed, likely until 2011 (http://www.easports.com/blogs/itsinthegame/post/slug/nba-elite-delayed-nba-jam-ships-on-wii-next-week-xbox-360-and-ps3-coming-before-holidays)

Rudy
09-27-2010, 06:23 PM
After all the negative feedback EA couldn't ignore the disaster that was called Elite.

morsdraconis
09-27-2010, 08:16 PM
And thus is the beginning of the end of the EA basketball series.

cdj
09-27-2010, 08:26 PM
At least they confirmed that NBA Jam will be available for PS3/360 this winter.

Have to agree with you, mors. Sounds like the beginning of the end to me as well.

JBHuskers
09-27-2010, 08:50 PM
Looks like I'm switching the preorder over to 2K

cdj
09-27-2010, 09:00 PM
Looks like I'm switching the preorder over to 2K

Just did that here - PS3 version. I'll get JAM this winter when it comes out.

JeffHCross
09-27-2010, 09:20 PM
NBA Elite has been delayed, likely until 2011 (http://www.easports.com/blogs/itsinthegame/post/slug/nba-elite-delayed-nba-jam-ships-on-wii-next-week-xbox-360-and-ps3-coming-before-holidays)I have been buying EA Sports games since 1995. As far as I can recall, this is the first time I've ever heard of an EA Sports title being delayed for any significant time period.

Here's hoping they actually keep the Elite 11 name if they do release it in 2011.

gschwendt
09-27-2010, 09:24 PM
I have been buying EA Sports games since 1995. As far as I can recall, this is the first time I've ever heard of an EA Sports title being delayed for any significant time period.

Here's hoping they actually keep the Elite 11 name if they do release it in 2011.
They won't, purely for the reason that next October, if Johnny Wal-Mart is looking at NBA Elite 11 and NBA 2k12, he'll think that Elite 11 is a year older and thus will buy the one from the "current" year.

JeffHCross
09-27-2010, 09:26 PM
Crap, you're probably right.

I OU a Beatn
09-27-2010, 11:44 PM
Good call, EA. Good call. :D

JBHuskers
09-27-2010, 11:49 PM
After all the negative feedback EA couldn't ignore the disaster that was called Elite.

I don't think Elite the game was a disaster, but the way it was promoted and handled was.

If it's $60, I'll pass. The best hope for it though will be as a downloadable title for $20 or less.

Oh no, I'm guessing $15 like Madden Arcade. Maybe $20, but that at the most I would gather.

I have been buying EA Sports games since 1995. As far as I can recall, this is the first time I've ever heard of an EA Sports title being delayed for any significant time period.

Yeah I do too, I would like to see it come out in December or something.

CLW
09-28-2010, 11:33 AM
NBA Elite has been delayed, likely until 2011 (http://www.easports.com/blogs/itsinthegame/post/slug/nba-elite-delayed-nba-jam-ships-on-wii-next-week-xbox-360-and-ps3-coming-before-holidays)

Wow! I guess EA realized their game was no where near up to snuff especially compared to 2K and figured it was a better business move to pull out rather than to get creamed 3-1 (or worse) in sales.

And thus is the beginning of the end of the EA basketball series.

It very well could be the end for EA basketball (unless they buy an exclusive rights contract and run out 2K). IMO, EA is years behind 2K in developing a basketball sim. It would take a SUBSTANTIAL investment of $, time, resources, etc... to even catchup. I'm not sure the market for an basketball title is worth it to EA's bottom line/share holders.

LOVE ME SOME FREE MARKET COMPETITION! 2K earned this W by putting out a superior product.

skipwondah33
09-28-2010, 01:24 PM
Not that my decision was hard to make I did wonder how Elite played

I was getting 2K anyway though because of Jordan man

cdj
10-03-2010, 07:30 AM
So what happened between this and the demo? One of the knocks on the demo (and legit) is that you can pull off any move with any player. However in this video from early August they showcased what happens if you try certain moves with players who can not execute them.

So there are a handful of copies of the game in the wild. An individual on eBay seems to have gotten two of them from a warehouse where they are shipped and purchased them in a lot of games where they are disc only after cases were broken.

The first copy went for $255 and with 6 days left, copy #2 is currently going for $265. The winner of the first copy posts on OS (http://www.operationsports.com/forums/nba-elite/447437-i-did-elite-11-mine.html) and had this to say on his purchase:

I won the Ebay Auction, and can now call myself, a proud owner of one of the worst, rarest games in video game history! All for the price of $255, I am one of an exclusive number of people in the world with a final copy. I cannot wait to provide all of you any info, when the game gets here in a few days! I cannot believe that I won it! Although the game may be rubbish, I can now still have the complete NBA Live collection, and will be one of a very few amount of people to have every Live ever made!

I don't care what people spend with their own money, but I do find it 'odd' that he calls it one of the worst games in history, rubbish, (not to mention buying a disc only item to complete his collection) and will make sure to post a review. I'm thinking he may not be going into his copy with an open mind. :D I don't blame someone for spending that amount of money, but if you walk into it thinking it's horrible and rubbish? :dunno:

CLW
10-03-2010, 12:34 PM
So what happened between this and the demo? One of the knocks on the demo (and legit) is that you can pull off any move with any player. However in this video from early August they showcased what happens if you try certain moves with players who can not execute them.

So there are a handful of copies of the game in the wild. An individual on eBay seems to have gotten two of them from a warehouse where they are shipped and purchased them in a lot of games where they are disc only after cases were broken.

The first copy went for $255 and with 6 days left, copy #2 is currently going for $265. The winner of the first copy posts on OS (http://www.operationsports.com/forums/nba-elite/447437-i-did-elite-11-mine.html) and had this to say on his purchase:

I won the Ebay Auction, and can now call myself, a proud owner of one of the worst, rarest games in video game history! All for the price of $255, I am one of an exclusive number of people in the world with a final copy. I cannot wait to provide all of you any info, when the game gets here in a few days! I cannot believe that I won it! Although the game may be rubbish, I can now still have the complete NBA Live collection, and will be one of a very few amount of people to have every Live ever made!

I don't care what people spend with their own money, but I do find it 'odd' that he calls it one of the worst games in history, rubbish, (not to mention buying a disc only item to complete his collection) and will make sure to post a review. I'm thinking he may not be going into his copy with an open mind. :D I don't blame someone for spending that amount of money, but if you walk into it thinking it's horrible and rubbish? :dunno:

There apparently is some sort of "collectors market" for odd games like Elite. I see articles on Yahoo all the time about people finding rare games and them being worth thousands of dollars.

cdj
10-03-2010, 02:09 PM
There apparently is some sort of "collectors market" for odd games like Elite. I see articles on Yahoo all the time about people finding rare games and them being worth thousands of dollars.

I always thought the high dollar value was for games either still in shrink wrap or at least containing box, manual, & game? I didn't think disc only fetched that much, but maybe in a case like this it will be different.

JBHuskers
10-03-2010, 03:07 PM
Yeah I dunno....disc only in the end may not be worth the price. Who knows.

If you got the money to blow on an incomplete item, that will be really worth nothing if the game comes out later this year.

JBHuskers
10-03-2010, 03:14 PM
All in all, a cancelled game from a big company....that could be something to have. Just wish it was complete.

CLW
10-04-2010, 11:40 AM
I always thought the high dollar value was for games either still in shrink wrap or at least containing box, manual, & game? I didn't think disc only fetched that much, but maybe in a case like this it will be different.

Oh it's definitely worth more if it is unoppened i.e. "Mint" condition. However, I would imagine the disc only could still be "valuable" at some point in the future (esp if NOONE or FEW have the box and only a few discs are out there).

cdj
10-04-2010, 10:18 PM
With four days left, the remaining auction is up to $676. Wow.

Just imagine how those two buyers will feel if EA releases the game later this year and updates/improves it via patch(es). Their disc only purchase would no longer be unique or special.

CLW
10-05-2010, 06:16 AM
With four days left, the remaining auction is up to $676. Wow.

Just imagine how those two buyers will feel if EA releases the game later this year and updates/improves it via patch(es). Their disc only purchase would no longer be unique or special.

Yep its a complete and total gamble. I'd probably paid $60 for it (full price for a regular game). However, without a guarantee that 11 NEVER hits the shelves its just not worth the risk IMO.

JBHuskers
10-05-2010, 09:46 AM
Auction is up over $800 now.

CLW
10-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Auction is up over $800 now.

That makes me question the legitimacy of the auction. Are EA employees driving up the price? Is the seller having others drive up the price? I could be proven wrong but I just don't see this game (without a box) being worth a $800 risk.

cdj
10-05-2010, 11:08 PM
The auction reached $1000 earlier tonight, but someone at OS noticed in the bid history that the same individual had bid 21-22 times, many repeatedly, driving up the price. Said poster reported the auction and it has since been pulled. It looks like someone (perhaps & likely the seller?) was trying to drive up the cost. People have no shame.

Another poster there says in the Bahamas (where he lives) it is on shelves for $100 a pop. There were no pics, so take that with a boulder of salt.

CLW
10-06-2010, 10:36 AM
The auction reached $1000 earlier tonight, but someone at OS noticed in the bid history that the same individual had bid 21-22 times, many repeatedly, driving up the price. Said poster reported the auction and it has since been pulled. It looks like someone (perhaps & likely the seller?) was trying to drive up the cost. People have no shame.

Another poster there says in the Bahamas (where he lives) it is on shelves for $100 a pop. There were no pics, so take that with a boulder of salt.

Yeah it smelled to high heaven to me. Things like this is why I don't trust EBay that much and seldom buy things from the site.

cdj
10-27-2010, 06:59 PM
Report: NBA Elite Being Moved to Tiburon, EA Canada Hit by Layoffs (http://www.1up.com/news/report-nba-elite-moved-tiburon)

History looks to be repeating itself at Electronic Arts. Sources tell 1UP that Tiburon will now be handling the NBA franchise.

The report follows a tweet from 3D Realm's George Broussard, who says that EA Canada has laid off more than 100 employees. Broussard also said that he has heard rumors of "large scale layoffs" at EA coming soon.

EA Canada was responsible for the development of NBA Elite 11, which has been delayed indefinitely. The studio also handles the NHL series. Need for Speed developer Black Box and EA Canada were consolidated in 2008.

If the reports are accurate, this would mark the second time in EA history that an important sports franchise has been transferred to Tiburon following a failure to launch. The first instance came when Visual Concepts failed to complete a PlayStation version of Madden NFL 96. The project was handed to Tiburon, which has been responsible for the series ever since.

EA reps confirmed to 1UP that there have been a "relatively small number of job reductions," but didn't say which studios have received the cuts. The publisher also noted that the cuts are routine.

We've asked EA for confirmation on the Tiburon report, but they haven't yet responded. Well let you know when we have an official confirmation or denial.

JeffHCross
10-27-2010, 09:33 PM
Ouch. Another round of layoffs ... not good.

cdj
10-27-2010, 09:42 PM
I saw on another site that the cuts were mainly on the ELITE, EA Sports Active, and skate 3 dev teams.

morsdraconis
10-27-2010, 10:49 PM
So mainly the teams that haven't made a game worth a damn yet? I'm ok with that. There's enough game companies out there making shitty games already so some companies (or subsidies of those companies) going belly up isn't a problem for me.

cdj
10-28-2010, 08:58 AM
Rumor from 1UP via OS...NBA Elite development is being moved to Tiburon.

http://www.operationsports.com/newspost.php?id=453476

Welcome to post 215 (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?180-NBA-Elite-11-TBA&p=28000&viewfull=1#post28000). :)

JBHuskers
10-28-2010, 09:00 AM
Welcome to post 215 (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?180-NBA-Elite-11-TBA&p=28000&viewfull=1#post28000). :)

:D not much sleep last night

steelerfan
10-28-2010, 02:02 PM
As long as this doesn't affect NHL, I'm good. If it means Litty is back to full-time NHL, even better.

Rudy
10-28-2010, 05:20 PM
Can EA just admit that Elite was a disaster and is a game that almost none of the basketball hardcore want? So many fans of NBA Live are begging for them to just bring back Live 10 and continue from there. Why not listen to that? You still have the code. Switching studios will make the transition even longer for Elite and it has a lot of work to do.

This was one of the worst decisions in EA Sports history. They have completely ruined their basketball market. Live used to dominate. I remember Live 95 coming out and I was addicted. I loved it on the PS1 as well. The transition to the PS2 was awful and that opened the door for 2K who beat them by making a better basketball sim. Furthermore casual gamers want the same as the hardcore - a game that looks and feels like the real thing. Casual gamers just need the game to be easier and controls not to be too complex. I'd love to hear EA's honest rationale behind everything. I'm actually thinking of picking up Live 10 for cheap.

cdj
11-02-2010, 04:58 PM
NBA Elite 11 officially cancelled, EA confirms move of franchise to EA Tiburon and that it will return with NBA Elite 12 (http://www.operationsports.com/newspost.php?id=454419&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter).

JeffHCross
11-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Pretty easy to predict that the name will not be NBA Elite 12.

morsdraconis
11-02-2010, 11:10 PM
It's about time.

Looks like those leaked copies of NBA Elite 11 are actually going to be worth some money to video game collectors.

I OU a Beatn
11-02-2010, 11:27 PM
Serves 'em right. Years and years and years of complacency finally just slapped EA Sports right in the face. Well deserved if you ask me.

CLW
11-08-2010, 11:36 AM
It's about time.

Looks like those leaked copies of NBA Elite 11 are actually going to be worth some money to video game collectors.

Yeah. However, my understanding is that rare titles like that are worth the most if they are unopened and in their original casing. I believe the copies that leaked on Ebay were already opened and did not contain the original case. That being said there can't be that many out in the open so it could still wind up being worth something.

JBHuskers
11-08-2010, 12:25 PM
Yeah. However, my understanding is that rare titles like that are worth the most if they are unopened and in their original casing. I believe the copies that leaked on Ebay were already opened and did not contain the original case. That being said there can't be that many out in the open so it could still wind up being worth something.

Yeah it will probably be still worth something. I have a rare SNES game, but of course I got the game when I was 11, so I have no idea where the box is, but the cart itself is worth about $90.

JeffHCross
11-10-2010, 01:21 AM
http://www.1up.com/news/eliminates-execs-nba-elite-11

Following a disaster that left EA's high-profile basketball sim NBA Elite 11 on the cutting room floor, the publisher has completely reorganized the way it develops games in its EA Sports brand, allegedly dismissing the game's studio manager in the process.

According to our sources, all EA Sports development going forward will be driven by one core team that will oversee asset creation and sharing across multiple studios, much like is being done for Dead Space 2.

As part of this change, the general manager positions at the company's Tiburon and Canada studios have been eliminated. Former Tiburon GM Philip Holt is still with EA and is, according to a representative, "considering other options within the company," while Moira Dang, GM of EA Canada -- the studio behind Elite -- is no longer with the company.

cdj
11-12-2010, 06:19 AM
http://www.1up.com/news/eliminates-execs-nba-elite-11

ELITE is getting all of the blame for the chaos at EAC, but they also screwed the proverbial pooch (IMO) when they canned NCAA Basketball and put all of their eggs in one basket with their NBA franchise - that now they don't even work on. I feel bad for the developers who lost their job, but some higher-ups probably did need to go after the way everything went down. Seeing the GM spot eliminated (and that person gone from the company completely now) makes me wonder if the decision to cancel ELITE (and maybe even NCAA BB) was more of their downfall versus final game quality. Part of me thinks that even if a poorly reviewed ELITE came out that none of this would have happened. We'll never know though....

Also, another copy of ELITE showed up on eBay, this one with the case, manual, and disc. Bids started at $600, BIN for $1000. It went for $710.

Rudy
11-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Were they losing that much money on NCAA basketball that they had to drop it completely? It could at least be a bi-annual release. Furthermore it was dumb to release it close to the NBA game schedule. The game should have been released right before March Madness. That way the rosters would be more accurate, the game would be tweaked to be different from the NBA games and people would actually be thinking about college basketball. People only care around "fill out my bracket" time.

I had some fun with Choops 2K6 on the PS2 and liked the tournament options. Who knows? Maybe 2K will bring their game back.

CLW
11-12-2010, 03:14 PM
To me it seems quite silly to make an NBA/NFL game but not do the college game as well.

Yes I know the games are somewhat different but it shouldn't take all that much extra work to produce a college game as well.

Plus you open up the potential of guys like me buying games. I would NEVER buy just an NBA game. However, I would consider buying both if they had a deep franchise/dynasty mode where I could take my favorite college players to the pros.

Rudy
11-12-2010, 06:29 PM
It would be interesting if they package a collector's edition where they include college teams or an older PS2 version to play (upscaled in HD hopefully).

JeffHCross
11-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Were they losing that much money on NCAA basketball that they had to drop it completely?2k dropped it because the CLC was jacking up the licensing costs to levels that weren't cost-effective to continue making the game. I can only presume that they did the same to EA, and sales were pretty lackluster.

Rudy
11-13-2010, 05:32 AM
If you are the NCAA, why not drop the licensing fees for college basketball then? Wouldn't they want kids to be playing a video game? I truly think video game interest helps a sport - at least a little.

JBHuskers
11-13-2010, 01:52 PM
If you are the NCAA, why not drop the licensing fees for college basketball then? Wouldn't they want kids to be playing a video game? I truly think video game interest helps a sport - at least a little.

Probably because caring about video games is very low on the NCAA's totem pole.

JeffHCross
11-13-2010, 01:56 PM
That.

cdj
12-02-2010, 05:29 PM
From Kotaku: How a Big Video Game Was Killed (http://kotaku.com/5704605/how-a-big-video-game-was-killed)

It's a pretty good read, but doesn't address the issue of the reassignment of the title to a different studio if they felt that the major issue with the game was development time. There was also an issue (or issues) within the studio that led to members of the team being laid off or reassigned and the title moved to Tiburon.

Jayrah
12-02-2010, 07:42 PM
Wow interesting stuff. They felt like they made the best decision for the consumer when they had to go to another title. That's a very honest assessment. I appreciate the ability to make that decision instead of throw out a bs title and try to steal our money on it. As bad as it turned out with the last minute cancel, it still shows some integrity imo towards your product. To be honest what they were talking about really bothered me from a production standpoint just because I couldn't see them being able to make it all come together in time, based on the timelines that they had given throughout the process. It's easy to say after the fact, but I really didn't see it being a good game for that reason.

cdj
04-05-2011, 11:09 PM
Thought this belonged in here from the NBA Jam: On Fire thread...

In addition, EA Sports also announced that their next NBA simulation game won't be released until fall 2012. The title is being created by a new development team at EA Tiburon, and according to EA Sports president Peter Moore, the extra time is needed to get the engine done right.

Said Moore: "As planned, our next NBA simulation title is in development at our Tiburon Studio in Orlando. We have top talent on the game, and we're giving the new development team time to deliver a superior experience. We're making great strides and looking forward to launching a new game next year."

Understandable, but that's a long time on the sidelines. Hopefully they can produce a solid title to compete with NBA 2K. That's the best situation for fans, IMO.

JBHuskers
04-05-2011, 11:19 PM
Especially when you don't know what will happen with 2K from one day to the next.

gardenman80
11-01-2011, 11:33 PM
I was in a store today & purchased a copy of NBA Elite 11. At the time I had no clue the game was never released. It is still in the factory plastic. I have no clue how it ended up there . I was hoping someone on here could tell me a little more & maybe even give me a value of the game. I read somewhere there's only 8 known copies, not sure if that's true. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

gschwendt
11-01-2011, 11:50 PM
I'll bite...

looking on eBay, a completed auction about a week ago sold for $1500 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/NBA-Elite-11-/150683332582?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item23156d2fe6#ht_500wt_1413).

SmoothPancakes
11-01-2011, 11:58 PM
Jesus, I wish I had that kind of money to just piss away left and right on a game that EA themselves even admitted was a heaping pile of shit and therefore why the release of it was cancelled.

I OU a Beatn
11-02-2011, 01:43 AM
So let me get this straight. Someone paid $1500 bucks for a shit game developed by EA? Were they unaware they could get several other comparable EA gems for under $60?

:D I'm just kidding. The Elite demo was the worst thing I've ever played.

JBHuskers
11-02-2011, 08:18 AM
:fp:

Do you guys know anything about the market for rare games :D

No matter what the game, if it is rare, there is a market for it because people love to collect hard to find games.

skipwondah33
11-02-2011, 08:37 AM
Yeah, think I heard a few months or years ago a game sold for upwards of $40,000. It was a Nintendo game, some type of Track & Field type game I believe. It was designed for the mat controller. Nintendo purchased the license, retitled it to the Track & Field that we know of then pulled the other title. If you got your hands on a copy before they were pulled you were lucky.

SmoothPancakes
11-02-2011, 12:59 PM
:fp:

Do you guys know anything about the market for rare games :D

No matter what the game, if it is rare, there is a market for it because people love to collect hard to find games.

I don't give a damn if I was a millionaire, there is no way in hell I'm paying $1,500 for some shitty game that even the game's developer said was a pile of shit, no matter how rare it is.

JBHuskers
11-02-2011, 01:09 PM
I don't give a damn if I was a millionaire, there is no way in hell I'm paying $1,500 for some shitty game that even the game's developer said was a pile of shit, no matter how rare it is.

The key thing is people don't buy these games to play them.

SmoothPancakes
11-02-2011, 01:21 PM
The key thing is people don't buy these games to play them.

I realize that, but that still doesn't take away the fact it's a shit game and was cancelled for a reason. Either way, no way in hell would I put $1500 into a fucking game. There is a shit ton of better things I could do with $1500 than buy some shit game.