PDA

View Full Version : Why the NFL’s Labor Strife Might Be the Best Thing That Happened to Madden (Kotaku)

cdj
02-19-2011, 10:57 PM
Kotaku's Owen Good weighs in on why the league's labor issues might be a benefit for Madden (http://kotaku.com/#!5765167/why-the-nfls-labor-strife-might-be-the-best-thing-that-happened-to-madden).

It appears to be a win-win: EA Sports gets cash relief in a year when it's telling investors that its flagship title may take a dive at the cash register because of the league's overall woes. The NFL can kick the can down the road another year and negotiate this license when its product is a lot stronger.

But when the league does sit down with EA Sports, or anyone else, it still may not like what it hears.

If 2K/Take-Two changed hands, NBA 2K is the only sports game in that shop that's safe. And even if that company isn't acquired in the next two years, it last made a football game of any type in 2007. Given how resentful Take-Two's executive leadership has been of its exclusive arrangement with Major League Baseball, plus the ever-increasing development costs and the layoff between football projects, it's hard to see Take-Two with the will or the cash necessary to kick out Madden and resurrect NFL 2K in 2013.

Sorry. It's just not going to happen.

It would take a new console generation pushing reset on development to make the gamble worth it and even then, it's probably still too rich for 2K, given that the NFL is one of the world's most valuable brands, sports or otherwise. The league's deal with EA Sports is rumored to be second only to its network television contracts.

Click here for the full article (http://kotaku.com/#!5765167/why-the-nfls-labor-strife-might-be-the-best-thing-that-happened-to-madden).

JeffHCross
02-20-2011, 10:33 AM
The only way I see EA extending the exclusive license beyond 2013 is if the league puts down an ultimatum that says they're only giving out an exclusive license. And even then, I'm not sure I'd be willing to pony up the money, unless things like Madden Bowl and other ancillary events wouldn't happen without being an "exclusive" partner. If I was EA, I'd prefer going back the payment levels they were paying when they had "competition", and practically daring anyone to step to the plate.

morsdraconis
02-20-2011, 10:47 AM
The only way I see EA extending the exclusive license beyond 2013 is if the league puts down an ultimatum that says they're only giving out an exclusive license. And even then, I'm not sure I'd be willing to pony up the money, unless things like Madden Bowl and other ancillary events wouldn't happen without being an "exclusive" partner. If I was EA, I'd prefer going back the payment levels they were paying when they had "competition", and practically daring anyone to step to the plate.

Pretty much what I said in the other thread and why I thought them adding another year to the deal is nuts from a financial aspect, unless, like you said, the NFL is telling them no exclusive deal, no Madden.

steelerfan
02-20-2011, 11:42 AM
I have been under the impression that the NFL does demand the exclusivity. I remember reading that they didn't want to limit the control they had over how their brand is portrayed by issuing multiple licenses. Jeff, are you stating as fact or as speculation that the exclusive arrangement is not an NFL requirement?

JeffHCross
02-20-2011, 05:11 PM
Jeff, are you stating as fact or as speculation that the exclusive arrangement is not an NFL requirement?I'm stating based on the fact that they used to not have exclusivity. If they were the ones that started the whole mess, I wasn't aware of that. And regarding that ...

Moore: Well, to be clear, remember it wasn't EA that demanded the exclusive relationship. The NFL requested it and did a research process for exclusive bids and so EA bid, as did other companies, and we were very fortunate to be able to get that exclusive arrangement. So, I want to make that very clear because I think there are some misconceptions sometimes that EA demanded the exclusive licensing for the National Football League and nothing could be further from the case.I now remember previously reading this ... so now I don't know what to think. It's a ridiculous license to pay for, really.

CLW
02-20-2011, 05:21 PM
At this point I cannot possibly see anyone even wanting the NFL license on this generation. EA owned this generation. Time will tell if they own the PS4/720 era.