View Full Version : SOCOM 4 (PS3) Thread

I OU a Beatn
05-26-2010, 12:06 AM
Some information we know about the game so far:

Will have full length Single Player Campaign
Will have Co-Op
Supports up to 32 players via competitive multiplayer
Will Fully Support the Playstation Move both online and offline
Will feature a snap to cover system similar to Uncharted/Gears of War in the Single Player(unconfirmed for multiplayer)
No vehicles online
No Health bar
Will contain plenty of bitching from the community because it doesn't mirror SOCOM 1/2 which will cause extreme enjoyment for IOU.

Seriously, though, I can't wait for this game. Even if the game sucks, chilling all night with LPT are some of my fondest memories of gaming on PS3 so far. By the way, what the hell happened to Sandman? :D

JBHuskers
05-26-2010, 08:43 AM
I cannot wait for this game!

We gave Sandman the boot LOL we're back to the old TPT now.

Violator
05-26-2010, 09:20 AM
sandwho?? What is LPT?? What is this that you speak of?
yeah i guess i need to get ahold of my buddy and get some news and info about whats going on there.

I OU a Beatn
05-26-2010, 10:29 AM
We gave Sandman the boot LOL we're back to the old TPT now.

I used to get a laugh out of him every time I played with him. He'd complain about just about every single death he had(I usually do too, just not over the mic), and truth be told, whenever I played against him, he took twice as many bullets as everyone else. :D

UGA14
05-26-2010, 10:51 AM
Looking forward to this. Me and my buddy played every SOCOM online together except for the last one. We even played SOCOM on the PSP online together. Good times. The last game really disappointed me and I sold it for like $2. Just so much bad going on there. The netcode was awful for the majority of the time the game was out, the 8 maps got old really fast, and overall there was a lot of BS going on with thermal scopes, etc. Very frustrating. I hope SOCOM 4 is much better, but I'm not sure. I know Zipper is making it but MAG really disappointed me as well. There was a lot of chance in that game but the graphics suffered horribly, the sound was pretty bad, the guns were nerfed because of the "community" so bad that they were pretty worthless. I understand there was 256 people in the game, but the graphics really threw me off.

I OU a Beatn
05-26-2010, 10:59 AM
The only guns that were nerfed in MAG were the LMGs, and they definitely needed it. They were the definition of an overpowered weapon. They nerfed the SMGs for some reason, but they changed them back with the last patch and will tune them even more with the upcoming one.

I have the utmost faith in Zipper. They listen to their community and they support the shit out of their games. Not to mention, they're the minds behind all the good SOCOMs, so I'm confident they can pull it together again.

I OU a Beatn
06-09-2010, 10:32 PM
New Hands On Video with Move (http://ps3.nowgamer.com/video/play/993/no-lag-ps-move-pre-e3-socom-hands-on)

Looks like MAG. :D

I OU a Beatn
06-12-2010, 09:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY-42gPxwzI

JBHuskers
06-12-2010, 02:17 PM
This will be my first shooter since I gave up on MW2...I cannot wait.

I OU a Beatn
06-14-2010, 09:15 AM
IGN E3 Hands on (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/109/1096893p1.html)

There's a video and holy shit does it look good.

cdj
07-29-2010, 11:21 AM
SOCOM 4 delayed until 2011 (http://www.playstationuniversity.com/socom-4-delayed-until-2011-4211/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter).

SmoothPancakes
07-29-2010, 11:59 AM
While you guys may hate me for this, YES! Thank you for the delay! :D

SOCOM is the ONLY game that I have absolutely, 100% missed from my PS2 days before I jumped into current gen with 360, and this game could single-handedly be the reason I buy a PS3 sometime over the next year or so. However, as I have my money being put towards other, more important things right now, a PS3 is not on my purchasing radar for a while, so this being delayed until 2011 is great news for me as by the time it finally is released, I can have that PS3 bought and be ready to play it from day 1 that it comes out.

JBHuskers
07-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Not a surprise about the delay.....Violator told me he was thinking about not getting it based on some information he knew. Not sure on the details or if he can publically say, but if he's not high on it, I'm worried.

I OU a Beatn
07-29-2010, 05:46 PM
Big surprise. I'd say 99% of all PS3 exclusives get delayed at one point or another.

PDawgs
08-06-2010, 04:27 AM
Leave Sandy alone. Y'all should heard him on resident evil 5 on co-op now that was classic.

I OU a Beatn
08-06-2010, 06:31 AM
Leave Sandy alone. Y'all should heard him on resident evil 5 on co-op now that was classic.

:D Good Lord.

texacotea
08-06-2010, 07:40 AM

long lost fellow here

JBHuskers
08-06-2010, 08:49 AM

:D Good Lord.

long lost fellow here

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Not one single death was his fault. EVER.

Violator
08-07-2010, 05:17 PM
yeah the info that i know i still cant say. wish i could but this delay is a good thing. that much i will say. trust on that

JBHuskers
08-11-2010, 09:57 AM
yeah the info that i know i still cant say. wish i could but this delay is a good thing. that much i will say. trust on that

I definitely trust you when it comes to insider info on SOCOM. And obviously understand that you can't say, I know all about NDA's.

PDawgs
08-14-2010, 03:15 AM
Lol it has been a long time. I do remember I still owe alot of teamkills to a bunch of you

PDawgs
08-14-2010, 03:17 AM
It is never his fault, but I am willing to take the blame for it and violator for teamkilling him

I OU a Beatn
01-14-2011, 06:08 PM
Joystiq confirmed it's releasing this April. Can't wait.

UGA14
01-16-2011, 11:25 AM
Exciting, I hope it is a good game. Confrontation once patched 47 times was a decent game.

I OU a Beatn
01-16-2011, 11:43 AM
Also, Zipper invited 20 members of their forums to go test the game out on the 27th of this month, and they've confirmed they'll be able to answer questions of any kind on the 28th, so I guess that's the time we'll find out if it'll be worth playing or not.

UGA14
01-16-2011, 11:51 AM
That's always good. Hope the people they invited aren't fanboy central - SOCOM can do no wrong - types. There were plenty of those during Confrontation and that game was an utter disaster for months. Hopefully Zipper gets this one right. MAG was alright for what it was - but it really wasn't that compelling to keep playing.

I OU a Beatn
01-16-2011, 12:06 PM
To be perfectly honest, most of them say that they're neutral and just looking for a good game, but most of them also defended Confrontation up until Slant 6 declared it was finished supporting it, so...:D

JBHuskers
01-16-2011, 11:57 PM
Despite its flaws I played the hell out of Confrontation :D

I OU a Beatn
01-19-2011, 11:30 AM
Buy KZ3 get early access to SOCOM 4 Beta (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/01/19/buy-killzone-3-get-early-access-to-the-socom-4-multiplayer-beta/)

Awesome.

JBHuskers
01-19-2011, 12:17 PM
They should name the game SOCOM 4: The Return of TPT

I OU a Beatn
01-19-2011, 12:41 PM
Lmao, for sure. Speaking of which, where the hell is V?

JBHuskers
01-19-2011, 12:43 PM
Lmao, for sure. Speaking of which, where the hell is V?

Just recently moved...internet not set up yet.

I OU a Beatn
01-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Well as long as he's ready by S4, I guess it's no big deal. Hopefully he's too busy with the move and lets me get trophy whore of the month! :D

Violator
01-21-2011, 11:15 AM
Well as long as he's ready by S4, I guess it's no big deal. Hopefully he's too busy with the move and lets me get trophy whore of the month! :D

ha ha. well i got my internet on yesterday and LBP2 is on its way. but with so many things going on i might only get 50 or so trophies this month

JBHuskers
01-21-2011, 11:17 AM
ha ha. well i got my internet on yesterday and LBP2 is on its way. but with so many things going on i might only get 50 or so trophies this month

*GASP*

I OU a Beatn
01-21-2011, 12:49 PM
Yeah, the world is going to end if I see that low of a number. :D

Violator
01-22-2011, 09:07 AM
Yeah, the world is going to end if I see that low of a number. :D

tell me about it!
we actually played some S:Con last night. Made a respawn room and were just screwing around until a jackwagon came in and i guess they have skywalking glitch because a couple guys were doing it.
So that ended the night pretty quickly

I OU a Beatn
02-06-2011, 12:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8jxLImPfKA

:smh::sick:

Violator
02-06-2011, 08:40 AM
told ya. i expected crap and look what we got

JBHuskers
02-06-2011, 01:02 PM
I was like, it's looking okay....until the f'n sights were pulled up. That looked horrible.

cdj
02-25-2011, 06:45 AM
Co-op Preview from Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/24/socom-4-preview/):

The final major piece of Zipper Interactive's plan to put SOCOM back on the map -- five-player co-op -- has been fully declassified and I've given the latest Navy SEALs game, due April 19, a shakedown. Sony revealed at an event Tuesday evening that the cooperative mode will eschew a traditional "play through the main campaign together" setup in favor of letting players create their own full, multi-stage campaigns using a set of six maps and the ability to randomize normally scripted events on each play-through.

I experienced some of this when playing through the same map more than once, with various difficulty and enemy density settings in effect. It was easy to tell that, while your group of friends might get used to the map layouts, the challenge you'll face will never be a known quantity.

Over a series of a half-dozen matches, Zipper took my squad from facing off against a decent number of pretty smart adversaries to having our small group fending off an army of extremely well-armed, deadly accurate elite soldiers. The way this affected the pacing and depth of teamwork was clear as daylight; while we played the first couple of matches almost like a traditional shooter, we were inching along prone on the ground, spotting for one another and tightly coordinating by the time all was said and done.

I don't see SOCOM 4's co-op as revolutionary, but it's definitely poised to evolve this type of play in the genre -- not to mention serve as a strong compliment to traditional single- and multiplayer modes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaEzryViPNo

On the subject of the game as a whole, it's coming together in these final weeks before release. The level design, enemy AI, visuals and control basics seem fundamentally strong, save for minor, totally fixable bits like some extreme pickiness on character positioning for reviving fallen squadmates. The real test, though, will be the unpredictable human vs. human multiplayer where seemingly minor problems can balloon into game-breaking issues.

I would've liked to have tried co-op using a headset -- say Sony's own, now in camouflage! -- but the dev team didn't bring any along since it expected a more intimate, quieter venue than what it ended up with. Actually, I'd have traded that for the chance to swap out my one squadmate who didn't quite understand the concept of stealth. Eh, maybe he'd just gotten done playing a bunch of Bulletstorm.

JBHuskers
02-25-2011, 11:13 AM
Pretty sweet package announced, if you want to pay the price.

SOCOM 4 U.S. Navy Seals Full Deployment Edition (http://www.amazon.com/ref=tsm_1_tw_vgSOCOM4_20110225/dp/B004PCFF40)

Includes: SOCOM 4 U.S. Navy SEALs Bluray disc, PlayStation Move motion controller, PlayStation Move navigation controller, PlayStation Eye camera, PlayStation Move sharp shooter

I OU a Beatn
03-04-2011, 09:57 AM
Beta info and release date will be released in exactly 1 hour and 3 minutes.

JBHuskers
03-04-2011, 10:12 AM
Beta info and release date will be released in exactly 1 hour and 3 minutes.

I bet Playstation Plus will have something.

I OU a Beatn
03-04-2011, 10:20 AM
Probably, didn't you get a beta code with your Killzone 3? Mine came with one, so I'm not too worried about getting in...just worried about how soon it starts and that it's hopefully not as bad as it looks.

JBHuskers
03-04-2011, 10:37 AM
Probably, didn't you get a beta code with your Killzone 3? Mine came with one, so I'm not too worried about getting in...just worried about how soon it starts and that it's hopefully not as bad as it looks.

Oh I probably did....I think all I did was take the wrapper off of KZ3. I'll have to look in to that this weekend.

I OU a Beatn
03-04-2011, 11:22 AM
On March 15th, a private beta goes live. We’ll be contacting eligible players soon.
Beginning March 22nd, PlayStation Plus members will gain access to the beta.
On March 29th, anyone with a beta code included with Killzone 3 gains entry.
Starting April 5th, the beta will be freely downloadable to anyone via PlayStation Network.

Uhh, pretty sure my token included with KZ3 says "early access to beta." Earlier than who? The rest of the world? Idiots.

CLW
03-04-2011, 11:47 AM
I believe SOCOM used to be 3rd person (sort of like Uncharted). If it still has that camera angle I'll prob have to pick this bad boy up. I haven't played any shooters in a long time (mostly due to me getting sick in FPS games)

JBHuskers
03-04-2011, 11:49 AM
Well the thing that is turning me off is the FPS view when you're looking in the sights....everyone has to make their game more like COD it's ridiculous.

I OU a Beatn
03-04-2011, 11:53 AM
Well the thing that is turning me off is the FPS view when you're looking in the sights....everyone has to make their game more like COD it's ridiculous.

Like the game I'm unfortunately currently playing, which also just so happens to be my avatar.

JBHuskers
03-04-2011, 12:17 PM
Like the game I'm unfortunately currently playing, which also just so happens to be my avatar.

Yeah but that is a FPS....they're mixing TPS with FPS which looks like shit. Hopefully when I actually get my hands on it I can get used to it since SOCOM is my favorite shooter.

I OU a Beatn
03-04-2011, 12:33 PM
Classic mode, man. I'm holding it maintains just enough to keep me happy.

JBHuskers
03-04-2011, 12:49 PM
Classic mode, man. I'm holding it maintains just enough to keep me happy.

Enlighten me? Haven't read deep into what's in this game yet.

I OU a Beatn
03-04-2011, 12:58 PM
There's ranked mode and then classic mode. Ranked is basically repawn and health regen and all the garbage. Classic mode is basically old school SOCOM. No health regen, no respawn, round based, blah blah blah. I don't know everything, but that's the general concept of it.

JBHuskers
03-04-2011, 01:29 PM
Sucks that classic mode wouldn't be ranked based on what you said though.

JBHuskers
03-07-2011, 11:16 AM
Don't think this was posted and I'm too lazy to check :D .... The trophies (hopefully not as impossibly time consuming as SOCOM Confrontation, but these do seem easier)

Bronze

•Elite Ops – Complete a Story Campaign mission on Elite Difficulty
•N00b – Complete a Competitive Multiplayer game
•Good Game – Complete a Competitive Multiplayer game of every gametype
•Combined Assault – Complete a Custom Campaign mission in Co-op
•Extra Credit – Complete a Custom Campaign mission in Single-player
•Government Spending – Call in a total of 10 airstrikes during your career
•Death From Above – Eliminate 5 enemies with a single airstrike
•Repo Man – Destroy a total of 50 vehicles during your career
•Unseen Strike – Stealth kill a total of 10 enemies in a single mission
•Grenadier – Eliminate a total of 25 enemies with explosives during your career
•Crowd Control – Eliminate 3 enemies with a single explosive
•Century Slayer – Eliminate a total of 100 enemies during your career
•Melon Hunter – Eliminate a total of 100 enemies with a headshot during your career
•Hat Trick – Eliminate 3 enemies in a row with headshots
•Vorpal – Eliminate a total of 25 enemies with melee attacks during your career
•Combat Medic – Execute a total of 25 teammate revives during your career
•Armed to the Teeth – Unlock all weapons for use in Campaign Mode
•I Call Her Vera – Master a weapon in any mode
•Oracle – Collect an Intel item in a Story Campaign mission
•Hidden Trophies (15)
Silver

•Covert Ops – As Forty-Five, successfully maintain stealth in a Story Campaign mission
•Over Achiever – Complete a Custom Campaign mission on every map in either Single-player or Co-op
•Millennial Slayer – Eliminate a total of 1000 enemies during your career
•Expert Tactician – Complete a Story Campaign mission using only your teammates to eliminate enemies
•Information Warfare – Collect all Intel in the Story Campaign
•Hidden Trophy (1)
Gold

•Best of the Best – Complete the Story Campaign on Elite Difficulty
•Above and Beyond – Complete a total of 100 objectives during your career
•Shiny! – Master a weapon of each class in any mode
•The Elite 45th – As Forty-Five, stealth kill a total of 45 enemies in the Story Campaign
Platinum

•All is Said, All is Done – Obtain all Bronze, Silver, and Gold Trophies in SOCOM 4

I OU a Beatn
03-07-2011, 01:08 PM
They look extremely easy. What the hell? Killzone 2 had really hard trophies and it was so satisfying getting the platinum. KZ3 comes out and the trophies are incredibly easy, and now S4 is going to be the same way. Oh well, easy platinum, I guess.

JBHuskers
03-07-2011, 02:18 PM
They look extremely easy. What the hell? Killzone 2 had really hard trophies and it was so satisfying getting the platinum. KZ3 comes out and the trophies are incredibly easy, and now S4 is going to be the same way. Oh well, easy platinum, I guess.

Better than Confrontation....we basically had to create open rooms in Korea to cheese those trophies :D I still don't think I got past 20% overall.

I OU a Beatn
03-07-2011, 04:03 PM
Yeah, they were definitely bad. They remain some of the hardest trophies to date, along with Wipeout HD, and I'm not even attempting that shit.

JBHuskers
03-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Only thing missing from this thread is a certain someone to trash the game :D

I OU a Beatn
03-07-2011, 05:16 PM
It's coming - don't you worry. As soon as I get my hands on some game play, I have absolutely no doubt I'll bitch about it until the cows come home. :D

JBHuskers
03-07-2011, 09:30 PM
I wasn't talking about you LOL I was talking about someone else from somewhere else that would troll the SOCOM threads.

I OU a Beatn
03-07-2011, 09:49 PM
:D I know who you mean. Don't worry, though, I'll more than make up for him with S4 I'm sure. With all the changes they've made to the core game play, I can see myself bitching about it quite a bit.

Violator
03-16-2011, 08:58 AM
any of you fools get a private beta invite? i use the term beta very loosely since they arent going to change any of the game. why dont they just call it pre screening??

Violator
03-16-2011, 08:59 AM
I wasn't talking about you LOL I was talking about someone else from somewhere else that would troll the SOCOM threads.

leave my hero alone!!!

JBHuskers
03-16-2011, 09:05 AM
leave my hero alone!!!

I know you miss him.

Violator
03-16-2011, 09:08 AM
I know you miss him.

yeah i do, he was awesome in so many ways. i named him Wegelton P. Tallywacker

JBHuskers
03-16-2011, 09:09 AM
any of you fools get a private beta invite? i use the term beta very loosely since they arent going to change any of the game. why dont they just call it pre screening??

You'll have to let us know how it is...minus the obviously disconnects and non-connects that SOCOM betas are famous for.

I OU a Beatn
03-16-2011, 09:31 AM
I didn't. I have my account set up to receive emails from Sony, but I haven't received an email in over 2 years, so getting into betas is usually impossible for me if they send the code out via email. I'll be in in next week, though.

JBHuskers
03-16-2011, 10:07 AM
I didn't. I have my account set up to receive emails from Sony, but I haven't received an email in over 2 years, so getting into betas is usually impossible for me if they send the code out via email. I'll be in in next week, though.

Is next week PS+?

I OU a Beatn
03-16-2011, 10:08 AM
Yep, then KZ3, then everyone.

JBHuskers
03-16-2011, 10:20 AM
Yep, then KZ3, then everyone.

Sweeeeet. I can wait a week.

morsdraconis
03-16-2011, 10:47 AM
Is it free for PS+ members?

I OU a Beatn
03-16-2011, 10:50 AM
Yep, all PS+ members get in for free next Tuesday.

Violator
03-16-2011, 04:30 PM
yeah, might as well call the game 3rd person CoD. hope none of you were fans of handgun only rooms and like laser trip wires on your claymores

I OU a Beatn
03-16-2011, 04:44 PM
It looks like an abortion from the videos I've seen. Did they pull the damn camera back at all? How's classic mode? We want details, V!

Violator
03-16-2011, 04:56 PM
It looks like an abortion from the videos I've seen. Did they pull the damn camera back at all? How's classic mode? We want details, V!

cameras still WAY close, i think im playing MAG, and no clue how classic is, i only got 2 games in before i had to bail

PDawgs
03-17-2011, 10:59 PM
Soooooooooooooo does it look promising and only thing I am looking forward to is Team Kills biotch :nod: I need to know these things before I come home in two months :))

I OU a Beatn
03-18-2011, 12:22 AM
It looks incredibly bad, and with all the changes they've made, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if they actually removed team killing altogether.

Speaking of which...Violator, do you remember when we were all messing around boosting some for capturing control points on Quarantine when you killed JB with a headshot from a shotgun from about 100 feet away? :D :D

I also vividly remember PDawgs accusing an enemy of being a spy on Frostfire because he looked like part of our team. Lmao.

PDawgs
03-18-2011, 05:17 AM
Dang I have a month left till I finally come home. Only thing that was worth playing on Socom 4 was getting in some dumb team killing battle with Violator and hear Sandman scream everynight how every shot was head shot and it should have killed the person or hear him scream at me and violator for team killing him LMAO.

JBHuskers
03-18-2011, 08:55 AM
It looks incredibly bad, and with all the changes they've made, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if they actually removed team killing altogether.

Speaking of which...Violator, do you remember when we were all messing around boosting some for capturing control points on Quarantine when you killed JB with a headshot from a shotgun from about 100 feet away? :D :D

I also vividly remember PDawgs accusing an enemy of being a spy on Frostfire because he looked like part of our team. Lmao.

Those were the days.

And awesome that you're coming home soon PDawgs...saw it had been forever since you had logged on your PS3, so I figured you were back in Qatar or around there.

PDawgs
03-18-2011, 04:21 PM
Ya I am coming back home for good hopefully. Burned out on contracting for a while. Middle east is fixin to blow up in revolts.

Violator
03-21-2011, 10:04 AM
yeeeeaaah pdawgy dawg!!!!
and there is still TK's. i prolly wont start playing until wednesday when peeps i know will get it. it doesnt seem that bad though from what little bit i have played. its not socom but it is pretty fun, there is a shit ton of camping though. where i run around like a moron people are being all serious about the game

JBHuskers
03-21-2011, 10:07 AM
Can't wait to get the band back together.

I OU a Beatn
03-21-2011, 11:12 AM
I played about 60 seconds of it and it felt an awful like Uncharted 2.

UGA14
03-21-2011, 09:18 PM
Is this still private beta or what? My code from KZ3 didn't unlock anything... when does that beta start?

JBHuskers
03-21-2011, 11:28 PM
Is this still private beta or what? My code from KZ3 didn't unlock anything... when does that beta start?

I think KZ3 is a week away....PS+ is this week IIRC, then public full beta two weeks away, could be wrong, but I think that is the schedule....

Violator
03-21-2011, 11:43 PM
Ps+ starts tomorrow, KZ3 codes are week after. And anyone who reads these in TPT we are gonna change up for S4. If you know Matman and McDiddles they are gonna join us and we are currently thinking of outstanding names. Something that will bring the hilarity of the world to a crumbling halt so if you have any throw them out.

JBHuskers
03-22-2011, 12:26 AM
Ps+ starts tomorrow, KZ3 codes are week after. And anyone who reads these in TPT we are gonna change up for S4. If you know Matman and McDiddles they are gonna join us and we are currently thinking of outstanding names. Something that will bring the hilarity of the world to a crumbling halt so if you have any throw them out.

Don't know McDiddles, but know Matman. I'll grind the gears.

JBHuskers
03-22-2011, 12:28 AM
Didn't take long to grind the gears V....sent you a suggestion on Facebook.

PDawgs
03-22-2011, 01:21 AM
Can't be any worse than last game. When I get home at least some kinks should be worked out. 2 May I will be home, thinking about becoming a male stripper. Heard it is good money and tax free

JBHuskers
03-22-2011, 02:23 AM
Can't be any worse than last game. When I get home at least some kinks should be worked out. 2 May I will be home, thinking about becoming a male stripper. Heard it is good money and tax free

I'm sure V would hire you full-time.

PDawgs
03-22-2011, 04:32 AM
Heck I'll do free for him

Violator
03-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Heck I'll do free for him

hell yeah, ill put your ass on the street to make me some paper bitch!!!
and that is pretty good jb, ill pass it along. and you will like mcdiddles, hes asian and i do nothing but make fun of him. hes a good guy and he will be a socom nub

JBHuskers
03-22-2011, 12:37 PM
hell yeah, ill put your ass on the street to make me some paper bitch!!!
and that is pretty good jb, ill pass it along. and you will like mcdiddles, hes asian and i do nothing but make fun of him. hes a good guy and he will be a socom nub

oh god.....i can imagine what you say to him :D

I thought you may like that team name!

Violator
03-22-2011, 01:16 PM
I came up with a couple others. The Weiner Pistols and Detached Vaginas

JBHuskers
03-22-2011, 01:49 PM
I came up with a couple others. The Weiner Pistols and Detached Vaginas

...and now add the Dirty Sanchez Delivery Boys

Are there four-letter clan tags?

I OU a Beatn
03-22-2011, 02:05 PM
The Wiener Pistols

I vote this one all the way. TWP. I like it. :D

Violator
03-22-2011, 02:18 PM
nope, only 3 letters, so we would have to be dirty sancez boys or something. and we also have the turtle lickers. it means we lick turtles.
on an unrelated note go to urban dictionary and look up space docking

JBHuskers
03-22-2011, 02:21 PM
Space Docking Pirates? :D

PDawgs
03-22-2011, 04:52 PM
Back Door Bandits?

UGA14
03-22-2011, 06:33 PM
So with PS+ I should have it available now? Damn need to go look.

Violator
03-22-2011, 06:49 PM
So with PS+ I should have it available now? Damn need to go look.

yep, its in store

UGA14
03-22-2011, 08:53 PM
Not feeling it. Will keep playing and hope I do.

morsdraconis
03-22-2011, 10:36 PM
Wow, this game just amplifies everything I hate about 3rd person shooters... Claustrophobic like a motherfucker.

I OU a Beatn
03-23-2011, 03:30 PM
Posted this on Utopia since they were asking about it:

The Good

-It's fun.
-Matchmaking is fast and looks good so far.
-Game is smooth with no hiccups and have not experienced lag or frame rate drops at all.

The Bad

-Camera is way too close to player. It needs moved back to show down to around the ankles, if not more.
-Guns are way too inaccurate unless you zoom in, which is not SOCOM. SOCOM is almost exclusive hip fire, and hip fire is extremely inaccurate.
-Not a fan of the control scheme - it's pretty much just like Call of Duty.
-Player speed is too slow.
-Sprint button is in - there should never be a sprint button in SOCOM.
-Health is too low. 2 or 3 hits and you're dead - that's not SOCOM.
-No tie breaker round. Confrontation didn't have this either and it sucked. There NEEDS to be a tie breaker round, Zipper. Jesus Christ.
-Control sensitivity needs jacked up. I have it cranked all the way up and it's still way too slow(this was a complaint about a game I'm going to compare S4 to at the bottom as well)
-While matchmaking is solid, we need lobbies and they currently don't exist(and probably wont)
-Pistols. We need pistols. There is no way every person should be able to carry around two primary weapons. It's unbalanced and needs to go back to one primary, one side arm, grenades, and then your special grenades. Get rid of the double primary.
-No grenade arc. It makes guessing the location of where your grenade is going to end up nearly impossible.

I am having fun with it, which is obviously the most important thing. However, this is NOT SOCOM. It honestly feels like Uncharted...a LOT. The biggest issue for me by far is the camera. It needs pulled way the fuck back. It's way too close and is nothing but a pain. The next biggest one is how inaccurate guns are when you're just firing from the hip like most people have in all the other SOCOM games. You pretty much need to aim with L1, which is something I do NOT like.

Other than that, it's a fun game..but I don't see a whole lot of actual SOCOM in this.

JBHuskers
03-23-2011, 03:35 PM
Okay V how bout we either take Boys out or combine it as Dirty Sanchez DeliveryBoys? DSD

UGA14
03-23-2011, 05:52 PM
Posted this on Utopia since they were asking about it:

I am having fun with it, which is obviously the most important thing. However, this is NOT SOCOM. It honestly feels like Uncharted...a LOT. The biggest issue for me by far is the camera. It needs pulled way the fuck back. It's way too close and is nothing but a pain. The next biggest one is how inaccurate guns are when you're just firing from the hip like most people have in all the other SOCOM games. You pretty much need to aim with L1, which is something I do NOT like.

Other than that, it's a fun game..but I don't see a whole lot of actual SOCOM in this.

Agree with the camera. Don't care about the needing to AIM to accurately shoot as I like realistic mil-sims so that to me is fine, although this certainly isn't trying to be realistic, if it was I wouldn't be on a camera riding 2 inches from the back of my person where his body takes up 3/4th of my screen.

I OU a Beatn
03-23-2011, 06:10 PM
Yeah, camera is way too close and is easily the biggest issue in the beta so far for me. It just makes the game feel so damn claustrophobic.

Violator
03-23-2011, 06:47 PM
there will have to be lobbies. they are still letting us make our own rooms so there will have to be a lobby system. Con had no lobby system in closed beta.

And I think we have settled on The Weiner Pistols. Not sure what our clan tag is gonna be.

JBHuskers
03-24-2011, 07:28 AM
there will have to be lobbies. they are still letting us make our own rooms so there will have to be a lobby system. Con had no lobby system in closed beta.

And I think we have settled on The Weiner Pistols. Not sure what our clan tag is gonna be.

Works for me :D

I OU a Beatn
03-24-2011, 11:32 PM
That jungle map confuses the hell out of me.

I OU a Beatn
03-31-2011, 07:41 PM
Contents of first patch that will arrive shortly after game launches:

First Patch – SOCOM 4 Retail Version 1.XX
Estimated Release: April 2011

Multiplayer camera pulled further behind character (cuts off at around the mid-to-upper thigh)
Multiplayer camera field of view has been widened by roughly 20%
Firing accuracy has been improved for all weapons and aim modes; first few shots are substantially more accurate (with less accuracy the longer full-auto is employed)
Considerably increased horizontal and vertical recoil to all weapons in ACOG and Red Dot views
Decreased effective range of all SMGs
Reduced throw distance for all grenades
Made improvements to the HUD to make teammate names display above their head if they are onscreen; removed allied names (leaving only icons) when spotting friendlies at a distance;
Made adjustments to XP system so that it takes longer to gain character and weapon mod levels
More to come, stay tuned...

Best. Fucking. Patch. Ever.

I love Zipper. They literally just wiped out like 90% of the issues I had with just one patch, and the great thing is that it's all based on feedback from the community. I can't wait now, as with those changes, it should play an awful more like I originally thought it should.

UGA14
03-31-2011, 09:47 PM
What's release date? This is back on with the camera pulled back for me.

I OU a Beatn
03-31-2011, 10:33 PM
April 19.

I OU a Beatn
04-08-2011, 11:24 AM
If you buy SOCOM 4, you get "early access" to the Resistance 3 beta. Of course, judging from KZ3/S4 beta, that means you'll get it 3 weeks after Plus/closed beta members have it, and a week before everyone gets it.

They released that patch I posted earlier where the camera was moved out and the accuracy was improved. Played one game and got bored. The camera is still way too close. The weapons are still too inaccurate in hip fire. The health is too low. Head shots happen way too often. Dual primary weapons is still overpowered. Grenades still don't go where you want them to.

I'll consider picking it up if/when I hear they're going to patch all that stuff, but as of now, it's a broken game that I'm not even remotely interested in. What's with these retarded developers for PS3 exclusives ruining their games in an attempt to become more mainstream? Someone might need to tell them that their game was popular in the first place because it WASN'T mainstream. Oh well.

CLW
04-08-2011, 11:28 AM
I may pick this one up. I cannot play FPS games due to motion sickness so an Uncharted like military game intrigues me. Hopefully the campaign mode will be fun b/c I'm sure I'd suck online.

I OU a Beatn
04-08-2011, 11:29 AM
It's pretty much a carbon copy of Uncharted 2, so if you enjoyed that online, you'll probably enjoy this.

CLW
04-08-2011, 12:16 PM
It's pretty much a carbon copy of Uncharted 2, so if you enjoyed that online, you'll probably enjoy this.

Never played Uncharted 2 online. Just played offline in the story mode. I presume that SOCOM has a story/offline mode?

I OU a Beatn
04-12-2011, 12:35 PM
Some early reviews are in:

Destructoid - 3/10 (http://www.destructoid.com/review-socom-4-u-s-navy-seals-198597.phtml)
Eurogamer - 6/10 (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-04-12-socom-special-forces-review)
G4TV - 4/5 (http://www.g4tv.com/games/ps3/63342/socom-4-us-navy-seals/articles/74216/socom-4-us-navy-seals/)
Game Informer - 7.75/10 (http://www.gameinformer.com/games/socom_4_us_navy_seals/b/ps3/archive/2011/04/12/new-innovations-and-old-problems-arise-in-socom-4.aspx)

morsdraconis
04-12-2011, 12:58 PM
Wow, those are pretty awful (looks like the Destructoid reviewer had some of the issues that everyone else was having in the Beta).

I OU a Beatn
04-12-2011, 01:02 PM
Yep, I experienced everything he did and I'd personally give it a 5 or 6, so I can't blame him for the low score. It's not SOCOM, that's for sure. It's a watered down, noob friendly, 3rd person version of Call of Duty as far as I'm concerned. Joystiq gave it a 2.5/5 and said this:

The first game in the SOCOM series was also the first online game for PS2, earning itself a large following and major improvements to the multiplayer component game-to-game. To say that SOCOM 4's multiplayer is a step back from the franchise standard is an understatement. While the five-players-vs-AI enemies in custom campaigns wasn't bad, the competitive element has gone from unique among military-themed games to an attempt at a third-person Call of Duty.

100% agree.

JBHuskers
04-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Yeah 10 sec into the beta it definitely didn't feel like socom

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

morsdraconis
04-12-2011, 08:42 PM
Don't feel bad. The America's Army PC FPS has been raped as well. It's absolutely horrible compared to what it used to be (the best tactical FPS you could ever play, nevermind the fact that it was completely free). (sigh) Yet another FPS raped by the CoD fans and game developers following along blindly.

JBHuskers
04-13-2011, 06:53 AM
I don't see how they can see that translating into sales. If you make a shitty version of the same ol' thing instead of trying to please what was already a decent fan base.

I OU a Beatn
04-13-2011, 10:46 AM
It wont. KZ3 is selling less than KZ2 did, and I imagine that S4 is going to bomb in sales, too.

UGA14
04-13-2011, 07:00 PM
Don't feel bad. The America's Army PC FPS has been raped as well. It's absolutely horrible compared to what it used to be (the best tactical FPS you could ever play, nevermind the fact that it was completely free). (sigh) Yet another FPS raped by the CoD fans and game developers following along blindly.

Play Battlefield 2 Project Reality Mod. Much better than anything America's Army ever was.

morsdraconis
04-13-2011, 08:33 PM
Play Battlefield 2 Project Reality Mod. Much better than anything America's Army ever was.

I disagree. I've tried it and it made me want to play AA that much more (and gave me a reason to download the 1.4 gigs worth of trash that is AA3).

AA 2 to 2.7 was the best 2-3 years of my FPS life. That game single-handedly made me have an entirely new outlook at how a FPS should be made and nothing has come close to living up to that since.

I OU a Beatn
04-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Anyone actually buying this?

JBHuskers
04-14-2011, 06:45 PM
Not right away...

UGA14
04-14-2011, 08:40 PM
I disagree. I've tried it and it made me want to play AA that much more (and gave me a reason to download the 1.4 gigs worth of trash that is AA3).

AA 2 to 2.7 was the best 2-3 years of my FPS life. That game single-handedly made me have an entirely new outlook at how a FPS should be made and nothing has come close to living up to that since.

Really? Never really was a big fan of AA. ArmA is good for mil-sim, the old Flashpoint and I think PR is very well done.

lilheavy
04-15-2011, 07:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v3Kz5I4y4A&feature=feedu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gfk5HXBoF0&feature=feedu

I OU a Beatn
04-17-2011, 01:13 AM
I'm probably going to end up passing on this completely. I know I said I would wait for patches to fix it, but I don't even think I'd buy it then. I'm still on the fence, though. I got into the Gears 3 beta Saturday night and it's the best online shooter I've ever played in my life, so I'll be busy with that until May 15th. Right around that time Brink comes out which has my extreme interest since the ex-lead designer for the KZ2 multiplayer is the one in charge of the multiplayer for it. It looks exactly like KZ2, so it'll have no problem keeping me busy for 3 or 4 months, which will lead me right into the Gears 3 release which will consume all my gaming time for months. Throw in Battlefield 3 later this year along with the Halo remake and I'm going to have plenty enough shooters.

It stil saddens me, though. I was really looking forward to playing some SOCOM. :(

oweb26
04-17-2011, 06:56 AM
um......those are reasonably low reviews for a supposedly AAA game.

Violator
04-19-2011, 07:48 PM
yeah, since we had monster storms blow through here i went and rented it. mainly for the single player. yeah, just not into it. it has lost that whole Socom feel. and that sucks because i am prolly the biggest die hard Socom fan and they have just ruined the series. i doubt i even get through campaign

CLW
04-20-2011, 08:03 AM
wow is it even worth a rental from gamefly or should i just take it out of my queue?

Violator
04-20-2011, 10:14 AM
i took it off my queue, the game just isnt socom. its just sad to see a franchise die like that

JBHuskers
04-20-2011, 10:30 AM
I didn't even look to see if any friends were playing it last night. I was busy with Portal 2.

Oh well Monday I'll be getting my shooter fix on the Gears of War 3 beta...sucks that there hasn't been a shooter to keep my attention since SOCOM Confrontation. Gears 3 might be that.

UGA14
04-20-2011, 05:50 PM
I feel like it's a decent game. Classic game modes are pretty fun. It's not SOCOM 2, but if I wanted to play that I'd bust out my PS2.

I OU a Beatn
04-21-2011, 09:27 PM
From Zipper Developer's twitter:

Curious. Demolition or Breach? Hmmm...

You better not be jokin' about that, fucker! Please give me both. Please give me both.

Violator
04-23-2011, 05:10 PM
well i made it through the campaign. I dont know how i feel about it. its decent but the guys i play with havent got it so i dont know. if i could get it for about $15 i would get it but i just dont see paying $60 for it. they STILL need to pull the camera back a ton and get rid of the semi OTS nonsense. i just dont see why they made it so close up. esp in campaign when you get near a wall the camera pulls so close in and jacks everything up. And if anyone has this does anyone have an issue with your sound system with it? i cant get anything from my sound, but it works through HDMI, and the same things are checked on HDMI as they are with surround.

I OU a Beatn
04-23-2011, 05:59 PM
Yeah, the campaign is alright. I've done a couple missions on Elite difficulty and it doesn't seem too bad so far. Your AI teammates are retarded as shit. Every time I call someone out, instead of just shooting them from where they are, they run in and get killed. I also FUCKING HATE the design feature of that. If you teammates die, you can revive them. If you don't revive them within a certain amount of time(probably around 30 seconds), they actually die and you lose the mission. BUT...they can't revive you. If you do, you're dead.

Fucking stupid.

I OU a Beatn
04-24-2011, 12:56 PM
Beat in on Elite, so the hard part is out of the way. If anyone is going to try it, good luck with mission 8, 13, and 14. They're just stupid hard because of how retarded your AI teammates are, and the game is pretty much based around them being able to kill people. Unfortunately, they don't do that all too well and it ends up being a huge headache for you. It's also very, very short. I beat it on the two highest difficulties and I'm only at 13 hours combined between the two, so I'd say it's at most a 6 or 7 hour campaign.

Fairly enjoyable though when your teammates aren't being retarded. Now I just need to find some intel, wait til PSN is back up, and then platinum. :))

JBHuskers
04-24-2011, 06:23 PM
The trophies are all offline? Wow....

I OU a Beatn
04-24-2011, 07:39 PM
Except for 1 I believe, which is play all online modes. I don't think it has any other online ones. I might have gotten some while I was playing the day before PSN went down, but I don't think.

I OU a Beatn
04-24-2011, 08:26 PM
HOLY SHIT. This game is immensely tedious if you're going after the platinum. You have to beat the game on Elite which is just unbelievably hard on about 3 levels. Then you have to find all 42 pieces of intel scattered all over the place. Then you have to find an orange, and there's 1 in each level..so 14 in total. Then you have to find all the weapons in the game. Then you have to the maximum rank with one weapon in each class(sniper, assault rifle, SMG, LMG, and shotgun). Then you have to beat all the maps in co-op.

Jesus. I just got done on my intel/blood orange playthrough, so I'll be sitting at 98% until online comes back up, and then I need to play one game of each competitive mode, and I'll be done. Then they have exactly one month to wow me with DLC or a patch or it's getting eBayed.

JBHuskers
04-25-2011, 08:42 AM
Not a good sign....

SOCOM 4 lead designer leaves Zipper Interactive (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/24/socom-4-lead-designer-leaves-zipper-interactive/)

I OU a Beatn
04-25-2011, 11:05 AM
That's a great sign. He's the one, as I read, that made all the drastic changes. Good riddance.

JBHuskers
04-25-2011, 11:49 AM
That's a great sign. He's the one, as I read, that made all the drastic changes. Good riddance.

Oh well then :))

Violator
04-25-2011, 12:48 PM
i got all of it done but beating it on elite and the online trophies. which there are 2. one is to play one game, and the other is to play each mode. the game just pisses me off because of how the camera is. socom has always been a 3rd person shooter. the whole OTS view sucks big dick. plain and simple. its just horrid. the cam needs pulled back to where it was for every game up until confrontation. i havent played any online since psn was down the whole time i had the game.

I OU a Beatn
04-28-2011, 05:41 PM
First week sales are in and it sold a little under 200,000 copies world wide. Ouch. They may have lost some sales due to PSN being down, but that's an extremely low number. Especially for a game that changed so many things to appeal to casual players and attract more players to the game. Well, Guerrilla Games and Zipper, dumbing down your game and losing your identity is only going to piss off your fans and cause your game to sell less.

Hopefully KZ4 and SOCOM 5 will be a little more inspiring and return to their roots.

Violator
04-30-2011, 07:05 PM
Socom will never go back to what it was unless they SOMEHOW can get David Sears to come back. And short of offering him a few million I don't see that happenening.