PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Proposed Sanctions

Flav
05-25-2010, 02:13 PM
Penalties self-imposed by the Michigan football program Tuesday:

* Cut back practice and training time by 130 hours over the next two years, starting this summer.

* Cut number of assistants from five to three and banned them from practices, games or coaching meetings for the rest of 2010.

* Recommendation for two years of probation. The school said it should not be tagged as a repeat offender despite a 2003 scandal in the basketball program.

* Letters of reprimand issued to seven people -- including head coach Rich Rodriguez.

* Acknowledged for first time that staffer Alex Herron was fired after his claim of not being present during some activities was discredited by players.

AustinWolv
05-25-2010, 02:40 PM
The best part was the AD calling out the lying media who created this BS investigation to start with:

"The initial media reports were greatly exaggerated if not flatly incorrect" and "the actual violations are a far cry from the initial claims in the media"

Brandon has the early makings of making the UM AD a powerhouse.

JBHuskers
05-25-2010, 02:41 PM
You Rodriguez is on the tight rope right now? Outside of Michigan it really seems like it.

AustinWolv
05-25-2010, 04:52 PM
You Rodriguez is on the tight rope right now? Outside of Michigan it really seems like it.
Right now, as in the 2010 season?
If the team goes 7-5 or better, he'll be back.

If the team goes 6-6 or losing record again, I think the AD will evaluate how and why that record occurred and make a hard decision, unswayed by the HEAVY hotseat that will be the fans absolutely screaming for a new coach. The new AD definitely seems a strong-minded fellow with a plan for success.
Given how the schedule looks very favorable on paper for 2010, I think 7-5 is pretty much the minimum bar for most.

If the team goes 7-5 or better, I think the hotseat will be considerably cooler, and then 2011 season will ultimately determine what happens. In 2011, if record is solid (9 wins or better), I think he's fine for a while. If record is 8 wins, the rumblings will start back up. If less than 8, watch out.
The thought right now is that the defense will be average at best again this season, mainly because of not being optimistic about the LBs who haven't proven out and being thin at safety. It is the 2011 season being pointed at as having the roster on both sides of the ball and experience in the offense and new defense that will be the beginning chance to truly contend for a conference title. The feeling is that they are at the cusp of upper 1/3 of the Big10 for the 2010 season if the offense progresses as expected and the defense can be average.

See, for most casual fans and those outside the program, they only see the record. They don't see the absolute B.S. that has been working against Rodriguez from the INSIDE of the program and from B.S. like the Detroit Free Press hack pieces conspiring against Rodriguez. Factions have been hard at work on both sides, for and against Rodriguez, but the against side has the advantage right now because the results on the field haven't shut them up. They are quick to point out that the losing records shouldn't have happened, but if one goes back and studies the recruiting classes since ....oh, about 2000 or 2002 perhaps......they've been pretty piss-poor results out of those classes in terms of talent and especially depth at important positions. The roster was truly razor-thin when Rodriguez came to town.....and out of shape and slow.
Some of the comparison pictures of guys in that first spring practice versus what they looked like coming into fall camp was significant. Now looking that them 1-1.5 years later even? Night and day in terms of being trim and cut versus really big with a layer of blubber over their belts.

Results still need to be achieved, but what I've seen in certain aspects of the program is catching up and a desire to match the program results at other successful powerhouses over the past 10 years versus that simply not happening before Rodriguez. Most importantly, that is what the new AD expects and I think he sees that trait in Rodriguez, so he's going to fully support him right now. In fact, the new AD has started to weed out those in the AD who haven't been on board....

Rudy
05-25-2010, 08:04 PM
What's funny is that I heard Michigan leaked the story to the other papers but not the Free Press as a payback. lol.

Flav
05-25-2010, 08:09 PM
I hate the Free Press! Drew Sharpe is a piece of shit.

AustinWolv
05-26-2010, 01:34 AM
Along with Rosenturd.

Funniest story was Rick Leach calling out Rosie at a basketball game right in the aisles....tore him a new one.

Flav
05-26-2010, 03:58 PM
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=162&f=2019&t=5977612 Pretty interesting take on all of this

AustinWolv
05-26-2010, 04:46 PM
Here you go: http://mgoblog.com/content/names-named-heads-should-roll

Not a fan of the Scout site.

Flav
05-26-2010, 04:49 PM
I was pretty confused by reading that for some reason.. What do those 2 guys have to do with the compliance/Michigan getting caught?

AustinWolv
05-26-2010, 05:00 PM
One guy was responsible for putting the reports together and simply did not, despite repeated requests from compliance. The other guy was his boss it seems. It also showed that the guy that was supposed to put the reports together had a habit of doing this BEFORE Rodriguez got to Michigan which means this guy's incompetence was going on for a while unchecked which is what UM will most likely get dinged about.

On the flip side, it shows that this whole thing was not Rodriguez' fault and that rag of a newspaper that created the story lied. Again. (They've been caught in outright lies on several different stories now.)

AustinWolv
06-02-2010, 11:17 AM
On a related note, Brandon Graham on Rich Rodriguez, calling out the 'sources' (former players that the Detroit Free Hack quoted in their story that launched the investigation):
"People didn't give Coach Rod a chance once he first got there," Graham said after practice Wednesday. "He made us all better players. And I'm happy for what he's done for me the last two years. it's just that a lot people who really just wanted Coach Carr never gave Coach Rod a chance. All of those people making those allegations are wrong because Coach Rod tried to do everything by the book. And he made sure he let us know it's all about family and being together. The people that left (the program) wasn't our family, really. That's why they left."

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thereporteronline.com%2Fa rticles%2F2010%2F05%2F27%2Fsports%2Fprofessional%2 Fsrv0000008377105.txt&h=1a903

Flav
06-02-2010, 03:44 PM
On a related note, Brandon Graham on Rich Rodriguez, calling out the 'sources' (former players that the Detroit Free Hack quoted in their story that launched the investigation):
"People didn't give Coach Rod a chance once he first got there," Graham said after practice Wednesday. "He made us all better players. And I'm happy for what he's done for me the last two years. it's just that a lot people who really just wanted Coach Carr never gave Coach Rod a chance. All of those people making those allegations are wrong because Coach Rod tried to do everything by the book. And he made sure he let us know it's all about family and being together. The people that left (the program) wasn't our family, really. That's why they left."

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thereporteronline.com%2Fa rticles%2F2010%2F05%2F27%2Fsports%2Fprofessional%2 Fsrv0000008377105.txt&h=1a903

Brandon Graham is one of my favorite players ever, not just because he went to Michigan. He is a very respectful person, and I saw some interviews of him and he is a class act.

morsdraconis
06-02-2010, 07:18 PM
Right now, as in the 2010 season?
If the team goes 7-5 or better, he'll be back.

If the team goes 6-6 or losing record again, I think the AD will evaluate how and why that record occurred and make a hard decision, unswayed by the HEAVY hotseat that will be the fans absolutely screaming for a new coach. The new AD definitely seems a strong-minded fellow with a plan for success.
Given how the schedule looks very favorable on paper for 2010, I think 7-5 is pretty much the minimum bar for most.

If the team goes 7-5 or better, I think the hotseat will be considerably cooler, and then 2011 season will ultimately determine what happens. In 2011, if record is solid (9 wins or better), I think he's fine for a while. If record is 8 wins, the rumblings will start back up. If less than 8, watch out.
The thought right now is that the defense will be average at best again this season, mainly because of not being optimistic about the LBs who haven't proven out and being thin at safety. It is the 2011 season being pointed at as having the roster on both sides of the ball and experience in the offense and new defense that will be the beginning chance to truly contend for a conference title. The feeling is that they are at the cusp of upper 1/3 of the Big10 for the 2010 season if the offense progresses as expected and the defense can be average.

See, for most casual fans and those outside the program, they only see the record. They don't see the absolute B.S. that has been working against Rodriguez from the INSIDE of the program and from B.S. like the Detroit Free Press hack pieces conspiring against Rodriguez. Factions have been hard at work on both sides, for and against Rodriguez, but the against side has the advantage right now because the results on the field haven't shut them up. They are quick to point out that the losing records shouldn't have happened, but if one goes back and studies the recruiting classes since ....oh, about 2000 or 2002 perhaps......they've been pretty piss-poor results out of those classes in terms of talent and especially depth at important positions. The roster was truly razor-thin when Rodriguez came to town.....and out of shape and slow.
Some of the comparison pictures of guys in that first spring practice versus what they looked like coming into fall camp was significant. Now looking that them 1-1.5 years later even? Night and day in terms of being trim and cut versus really big with a layer of blubber over their belts.

Results still need to be achieved, but what I've seen in certain aspects of the program is catching up and a desire to match the program results at other successful powerhouses over the past 10 years versus that simply not happening before Rodriguez. Most importantly, that is what the new AD expects and I think he sees that trait in Rodriguez, so he's going to fully support him right now. In fact, the new AD has started to weed out those in the AD who haven't been on board....

All of this sounds VERY familiar....

Do a little research on DickRod and you'll see this is the SAME shit that he pulled at WVU before he left. Just that WVU wasn't stupid enough to let him violate all the rules like Michigan has.

AustinWolv
06-02-2010, 08:49 PM
Riiiiiight, because WVU fans aren't bitter, jaded, jilted fans stuck with a dead-end coach. Y'all sure LOVED him and defended him to the core when he was in town though.

Enlighten us with how things were the same at WVU.

morsdraconis
06-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Riiiiiight, because WVU fans aren't bitter, jaded, jilted fans stuck with a dead-end coach. Y'all sure LOVED him and defended him to the core when he was in town though.

Enlighten us with how things were the same at WVU.

Dead-end coach? Probably, but the players love him and he appears to have more control over them than Rodriquez did (Henry's outburst during the 2004 Rutgers game, all the crap that Pacman Jones got in trouble with in school before he even got the NFL, and everything else that was swept underneath the rug and never dealt with)

Bitter, jaded, and jilted? Hardly. More like, saw it coming. I haven't liked the guy ever since the 2004 season. He's always been a dick, there's just more proof about it now (when you're not man enough to even tell your team that you're leaving the school and instead sneak out of the backdoor and on a plane, there's some serious questions about the guy that need to be taken into account).

Hell, the whole reason why the NCAA even came to WVU was to see whether or not he had tried to do this shit before (which he most certainly did and was denied by the AD because it was against the rules so he got pissed off about it and had been determined to leave the program as early as the beginning of the 2007 season). The fact that he is denying the charge from the NCAA that he didn't know that he was willingly breaking the rules on those violations is the biggest crock of bullshit I've ever seen.

Not that you're not going to stop defending your moron of a coach (who, btw, has like a 10 play playbook, even at Michigan) or anything, but this (http://www.wvgazette.com/Sports/WVU/201005280828) is the perfect read for this situation.

AustinWolv
06-03-2010, 12:34 AM
Hell, the whole reason why the NCAA even came to WVU was to see whether or not he had tried to do this shit before (which he most certainly did and was denied by the AD because it was against the rules so he got pissed off about it
LOL.
See, a key point you are missing and the Detroit hack reporter conveniently ignores...........the improper and incomplete CARA reports are documented as starting before Rodriguez got to UM. Yes, under the previous coaching staff.

Gee, an article from a WV local column, I'm sure that isn't biased.

His request for extra graduate assistants on his staff.
You mean what every other school is doing and the NCAA has since relaxed the rules on GAs/interns/whatever BS the NCAA is allowing? See Marcus Freeman at OSU.
Fact: What UM got pinged for in regards to the 'interns' was made allowable by the NCAA in relatively short timeframe during the time that UM reported it.

His desire to start his own Web site.
http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/
http://www.coachsaban.net/
http://web.coachurbanmeyer.com/index.html
http://twitter.com/coachstewart
http://www.bobstoops.com/home

His request to allow players to keep their textbooks and, presumably, sell them for profit.
Admittedly don't know what this is about, other than the textbooks are provided to players at no cost and they are supposed to turn them back in?
Are players at other schools allowed to keep them?
I still have some of my college textbooks from 10+ years ago as reference, so there is value in the request if they are held to reimbursing the school if they don't turn them in, but I'm not sure of the details as it pertains to WV and RichRod.
Don't know the NCAA rules and how schools handle that. All I could find was that the NCAA says you are supposed to turn them back in at the end of a semester, but it appears schools can interpret and do their own programs for textbooks needed for future use and possible buyback programs:
http://www.lipscombsports.com/media/graphics/compliance/textbookpolicy.pdf
Thus, why is it unreasonable to ask the AD to set up such a program?
No, just easier to ASSume he's a dasterdly fellow up to no good so that it fits your bias.

(when you're not man enough to even tell your team that you're leaving the school and instead sneak out of the backdoor and on a plane, there's some serious questions about the guy that need to be taken into account)
sniff, sniff. Waaaaaaah.
See Brian Kelly.
See Nick Saban.
See Bobby Petrino.
Should we continue?
Yeah, it sucks your WV alum and hometown hero decided to move up in the world. Get over it. If he fails, he fails.
Except guess what? Those guys said they would be back and told their players that. Rodriguez did no such thing, in that he met with Michigan on a Friday, went back to WV, and THEN had a meeting with players on Sunday to inform them of his decision.
Despite your bias, I've seen one article with some punter who was whining about how playing under BillStew is more fun because they don't work as hard.......yet, many, many players have spoken up about having loved playing for Rodriguez. I'll take their word and a 1st-round draft pick's word over some guy on the internet.

Probably, but the players love him
Funny, because I have read many, many articles saying the same about RichRod, including prominent names still in the business.
They love Billy because he isn't hard on them.
Players had problems with Bo Schembechler also, but they loved him for being a hardass and standing behind them through life.

So far, you've shown me nothing to show he's a bad guy, other than your bias. Even that WV article shows bias of a scolding overtone with no evidence, just conjecture and subjective opinion loosely formed from that bias, i.e. no concrete evidence or even compelling case.

Articles like this eat up that weak WV article and your post:
http://michigan.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1088066
http://mgoblog.com/content/names-named-heads-should-roll
http://michigan.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1088819

Not that you're not going to stop defending your moron of a coach
Look in the mirror, *cough*BillStewart*cough*. Talk about a dumb, emotional hire.

Jury is still out for me on RichRod, but he has admittedly advanced the program in certain areas far beyond the country club that Carr was running, sadly.

cdj
06-03-2010, 12:52 AM
I know there's a lot of bad blood between Michigan and West Virginia, but let's make sure to keep it civil and respectful here. Just a pre-emptive statement. :)

morsdraconis
06-03-2010, 01:17 AM
I know there's a lot of bad blood between Michigan and West Virginia, but let's make sure to keep it civil and respectful here. Just a pre-emptive statement. :)

I'm perfectly civil. He's the one that's acting like someone shit in his cereal because I'm telling how much of a fuckin' scumbag Dickrod is yet he's STILL defending him and obviously can't read at all.

You retarded Michigan fans deserve a scumbag like Dickrod. I can't wait until Ohio State stomps you idiots for another year and you go 3-8 cause he runs the same 10 plays over and over again.

Enjoy mediocrity.

Rudy
06-03-2010, 05:20 AM
I'm perfectly civil. He's the one that's acting like someone shit in his cereal because I'm telling how much of a fuckin' scumbag Dickrod is yet he's STILL defending him and obviously can't read at all.

You retarded Michigan fans deserve a scumbag like Dickrod. I can't wait until Ohio State stomps you idiots for another year and you go 3-8 cause he runs the same 10 plays over and over again.

Enjoy mediocrity.

Retarded Michigan fans? C'mon, you have gone over the line in your posts. I know college football fans are extremely passionate and usually homers but these arguments between fans just get annoying. I don't know how you can call your post civil.

I don't like Rich Rod and most of that is simply due to results. The guys has won three Big 10 games in two years - I could coach a Michigan team to three B10 wins in two years. I don't care for the limited offense either - too much reliance on running the option and bubble screens. I want to see more passes downfield and a little more variety myself. You have to make some plays in the passing game if you want to win big games. I'll use Pitt-WVU as an example. Still, I can understand UM fans liking RR.

Either way, you need to be more respectful imo. This is a smaller site and I don't expect to see that kind of garbage here.

AustinWolv
06-03-2010, 08:50 AM
I know there's a lot of bad blood between Michigan and West Virginia, but let's make sure to keep it civil and respectful here. Just a pre-emptive statement.
Michigan fans could care less about WV.

Hoping this site doesn't dissolve into that kind of garbage like his post above......no evidence, no logic, no compelling case, just insults.

I think the posts above pretty much stand for themselves in who is discussing and who is just angry. ;)
Done.