PDA

View Full Version : RUMOR: PS3 To Get Premium Service Similar to XBL

I OU a Beatn
05-25-2010, 09:23 AM
According to Joystiq's sources, Sony is set to reveal a premium tier of the PlayStation Network service, labeled PSN+, during its 2010 E3 media briefing. Unlike Microsoft's Xbox Live Gold service, PSN+ will focus on giving paid subscribers additional bonuses without limiting online multiplayer between paying and nonpaying users.

Many of the features included in the premium service mimic those featured in a supposed survey released late last year. Sources tell us that subscribers will have access to a rotating list of PSP Minis and PSone Classics, exclusive in-game DLC, discounts to the PlayStation Store and "first hour" demo access to full retail titles. Following the first hour of gameplay, players will have the ability to purchase the full title; however, demo access will only be available once the entire title has been downloaded.

As PSN+ subscribers, gamers will also receive protection for their consoles with the recently announced PlayStation Protection Plan, as well as exclusive access to the long-awaited cross-game voice chat. Additional features are said to be in the works following the launch of PSN+, including the previously rumored cloud-based saving system.

Joystiq has been informed that PSN+ subscribers will also have the ability to enable an auto-patching feature, which will detect, download and install updates for recently played PS3 titles on the system.

Pricing and a release for the PSN+ service is unknown, though one source speculates PSN+ may cost $9.99 per month. When contacted, a Sony representative said the company does not "comment on rumors or speculation."

Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/25/rumor-sony-to-reveal-psnplus-subscription-service-at-e3-2010/)

If this is true, this is going to be the equivalent to listening to the SOCOM fanboys whine about a cover system. :D:D

Personally, I'll be buying day one if this is true(99% chance there is considering I took a survey from Sony that had those EXACT options on it). Hopefully Cloud Storage works out as that has enormous potential.

JBHuskers
05-25-2010, 09:53 AM
I will be buying as well on day one. I hope the price will be more comparable to Microsoft at around $50 a year, rather than the rumored $9.99 a month.

I OU a Beatn
05-25-2010, 10:00 AM
Yeah, it does seem a bit high. I'd be willing to do it, though, especially if they get Cloud storage implemented. It's really not that bad, though. The protection plan you get with your membership alone is like $50 a year.

UGA14
05-25-2010, 11:31 AM
Hmmm... I like that it doesn't limit my ability to play online. I may get it. Cross-game chat would be nice. Though I don't have enough people playing on PS3 to really base the entire price on that. A lot of me getting it will be determined by how much it actually costs. $120 a year is a steep price considering I just canceled XBOX Live because I felt it was too high.

JBHuskers
05-25-2010, 11:41 AM
Hmmm... I like that it doesn't limit my ability to play online. I may get it. Cross-game chat would be nice. Though I don't have enough people playing on PS3 to really base the entire price on that. A lot of me getting it will be determined by how much it actually costs. $120 a year is a steep price considering I just canceled XBOX Live because I felt it was too high.

Check the Gaming Deals Thread .... http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?53-The-Gaming-Deals-Thread

Year of XBL was $28.99 through Buy.com. There are always deals through Buy or Amazon.

I OU a Beatn
05-25-2010, 11:41 AM
I don't think it's that high to be honest. It comes with the PS3 protection plan that will enable you to get your PS3 repaired for FREE as long as you have the service. That service alone is $50 a year without the premium package, so that right there almost knocks down the price to the XBL level. Add in the fact that you get a free game every month, PLUS Cloud Storage(which is fucking amazing) and it's a very sound deal.

UGA14
05-25-2010, 11:43 AM
I saw the $28.99 price. Honestly I just don't like paying to use it. It's not worth it to me. I sold all my games for it so right now all I have are arcade games as well.

JBHuskers
05-25-2010, 11:53 AM
I saw the $28.99 price. Honestly I just don't like paying to use it. It's not worth it to me. I sold all my games for it so right now all I have are arcade games as well.

Makes sense then.

texacotea
05-25-2010, 01:12 PM
well this will be a def buy, especially since I have a fatty and would like to keep a PS3 around the protection plan part sold me.

Violator
05-25-2010, 02:58 PM
yeah with everything that is offered its worth the price. just for the security of the repair. im not sure how well cloud will be implemented at first. i have a feeling like many things its gonna suck for the first 6months then will start getting smoother past that. but it is a day one buy. and i did that same survey about a 6 months ago beatn, when did you get yours?

steelerfan
05-25-2010, 03:29 PM
I've never had to get my PS3 repaired. Is it really worth $120 a year for something you may not need (insurance). I have no idea what a repair costs. I know there are other features, just wondering if the insurance is really worth it.

Violator
05-25-2010, 03:53 PM
I've never had to get my PS3 repaired. Is it really worth $120 a year for something you may not need (insurance). I have no idea what a repair costs. I know there are other features, just wondering if the insurance is really worth it.

well if your ps3 breaks down after the warranty expires to send it into Sony the cost is $150. So to me yeah its worth it. not just for that but with all the others makes it a good deal. though would be really happy if they cut that price in 1/2. guess will see in june

I OU a Beatn
05-25-2010, 03:57 PM
Honestly, I'd pay $50 a year alone for Cloud Storage. Twice I've lost all my game saves because my PS3 died. I was especially pissed the 2nd time whenever I was literally 2 hours away from getting the platinum in Assassin's Creed II. Ended up having to beat the entire game again, collect all the feathers(only needed 5 when it died), all the glyphs(only needed 2 when it died), and all the viewpoints(actually had it but didn't sync the trophies before it died).

Rudy
05-25-2010, 08:02 PM
I don't play online so this isn't a big deal to me. I think I may want to try getting my butt kicked by a few of you here on NCAA 11 before I slink into full on dynasty mode. $100 a year isn't worth it for that. :)

gschwendt
05-25-2010, 08:11 PM
I don't play online so this isn't a big deal to me. I think I may want to try getting my butt kicked by a few of you here on NCAA 11 before I slink into full on dynasty mode. $100 a year isn't worth it for that. :)
No... the whole thing is that it won't effect online play. You'll still get online access for free... this $120 a year just gives you added perks.

JeffHCross
05-25-2010, 09:08 PM
well if your ps3 breaks down after the warranty expires to send it into Sony the cost is $150.It's $150, plus your hard drive gets wiped so you lose all your saves.

For anyone saying they'd buy it for just the protection plan, make sure you read up on it before doing so. The Protection Plan was only offered to owners whose PS3 was still covered under the initial warranty. So most (if not all) fat PS3 owners are ineligible, at least for the current protection plan.

texacotea
05-26-2010, 06:59 AM
It's $150, plus your hard drive gets wiped so you lose all your saves.

For anyone saying they'd buy it for just the protection plan, make sure you read up on it before doing so. The Protection Plan was only offered to owners whose PS3 was still covered under the initial warranty. So most (if not all) fat PS3 owners are ineligible, at least for the current protection plan.

That will suck, I was going to get it anyway but the protection plan deal kinda pushed it over. But I will def have to check into it.

Violator
05-26-2010, 09:36 AM
yeah i am still under warranty. i have alot of questions about it but the ones i have the answers wont come out until E3. i didnt know about the warranty and thats good to know. which means most likely that any system n the house wont be covered which if thats the case that is brutal. i also wonder if this means they are going to make upgrades to their servers and make dedicated servers for certain games.