PDA

View Full Version : Madden NFL 12 - August 30, 2011

cdj
02-03-2011, 09:54 PM
First info comes this Sunday at halftime of the Super Bowl.

They will be releasing a blog, a (shaky cam) gameplay video, and a 5 minute long podcast. They will be announcing two features, but nothing on Franchise at this time.

skipwondah33
02-04-2011, 09:14 AM
Sweet :nod:

CLW
02-04-2011, 10:39 AM
Meh. W/o info on what (if anything) has been done to Franchise mode Madden isn't even going to register on my radar. I just cant see getting into the game with a subpar (compared to NCAA) dynasty/franchise mode. However, if they really revampt it and make sure that EVERYTHING in the offline Franchise is at least available as an option in online Franchise then I'll at least consider purchasing the game.

Details
02-05-2011, 10:56 PM
I'm excited about the blog. I have a feeling at least one of the features will be MUT related.

I OU a Beatn
02-06-2011, 12:11 AM
The absolutely only things they need to fix are man/zone coverage design and the pass rush. They have a great base to build on, but those 3 things have been issues with pretty much every game this generation. If they fix them, I'll be a happy, happy man.

jaymo76
02-06-2011, 12:47 PM
After last year, I won't get excited until they address FRANCHISE.

JeffHCross
02-06-2011, 01:31 PM
I'm looking more forward to the blog than the game ... lol.

cdj
02-06-2011, 07:13 PM
The first Madden 12 Blog is here (http://maddennfl.easports.com/blog.action?blogId=SBHT).

Live Tuning Sets & Quick Onside kicks coming to M12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRdNI10WNWE

A look at the changes made to the score overlay banner in Madden 12:

http://thegamingtailgate.com/images/Madden12/M12ScoreOverlay.png

http://thegamingtailgate.com/images/Madden12/M12ScoreOverlay2.png

http://thegamingtailgate.com/images/Madden12/M12ScoreOverlay3.png

http://thegamingtailgate.com/images/Madden12/M12ScoreOverlay4.png

http://thegamingtailgate.com/images/Madden12/M12ScoreOverlay5.png

I OU a Beatn
02-06-2011, 09:30 PM
I can definitely see that being abused online consistently.

baseballplyrmvp
02-06-2011, 09:33 PM
i like the score banner a lot more at the top than at the bottom.

JeffHCross
02-06-2011, 10:05 PM
I can definitely see that being abused online consistently.I can definitely see it getting attempted constantly, but if it doesn't have anything more than marginally better success than regular onside kick, what's the point?

Details
02-07-2011, 01:33 AM
The additions of surprise onside kicks and tuner sets are great. I'm happy with the blog.

Now...the score banner. I thought I liked the banner at the bottom, but this version looks good. Maybe I just wasn't too enamored with Madden 09's score banner. Ultimately, the goal is to offer broadcast presentation, so moving it to the top is a good decision. (Wow. That's a lot of analysis for a score banner. Shouldn't the location be customizable anyway?)

I OU a Beatn
02-07-2011, 05:21 AM
I can definitely see it getting attempted constantly, but if it doesn't have anything more than marginally better success than regular onside kick, what's the point?

True, but honestly, when was the last time EA incorporated something like this and it wasn't designed correctly? I can easily see this not only being abused, but actually working because of some flaw with the system. I don't like it at all. The onside kick can already be abused to death on Madden 11, so unless they did some serious fine tuning with their onside kick system, I only see this making it a lot worse.

JeffHCross
02-07-2011, 07:29 AM
The onside kick can already be abused to death on Madden 11The onside kick, or the bloop kick using a non-K? Very different items.

I OU a Beatn
02-07-2011, 08:01 AM
I've seen both abused online in both Madden and NCAA. I'm pretty sure there's still an issue with the bloop kick that remains unfixed and basically results in your team ignoring the ball.

CLW
02-07-2011, 08:20 AM
LOL the 90% success rate scares the living bejesus out of me. They claim they have it fixed but my experience with new additions/features is that EA tends to err on the side of way too effective so that you can see "it's in the game". Thankfully, it won't be a game killer for me b/c I seldom (if ever) would venture into the "East Room" and a easy set of league rules would take care of that issue in a well run Online Franchise.

cdj
02-07-2011, 08:41 AM
Now...the score banner. I thought I liked the banner at the bottom, but this version looks good. Maybe I just wasn't too enamored with Madden 09's score banner. Ultimately, the goal is to offer broadcast presentation, so moving it to the top is a good decision. (Wow. That's a lot of analysis for a score banner. Shouldn't the location be customizable anyway?)

It looks sharp, but hopefully it fades or disappears on deep pass plays or the move won't go over so well.

CLW
02-07-2011, 11:54 AM
It looks sharp, but hopefully it fades or disappears on deep pass plays or the move won't go over so well.

I'd have to pop in my copy of NCAA but I don't think that would be an issue even if it remains. I seem to recall the very top portion of the screen always being in the stands.

cdj
02-07-2011, 09:15 PM
The Madden 12 Super Bowl podcast is now on iTunes and the link here (http://maddennfl.podbean.com/2011/02/07/madden-nfl-designers-podcast-6/).

cdj
02-07-2011, 10:00 PM
From Ian on twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/ian_cummings/status/34822017249325057):

Since so many people have asked...surprise onside as of today is only allowed 2x per team per game. That value is also in the tuner set.

Details
02-07-2011, 11:14 PM
If there's going to be a limit, 2x per team per game is a good one. However, I'm a proponent of no limits for anything.

skipwondah33
02-08-2011, 08:46 AM
2 seems logical IMO. I wondered immediately if there would be any kind of limit

CLW
02-15-2011, 10:22 AM
Have any of you guys EVER seen a single team ATTEMPT 2 surprise onside kicks in a single game? If so fine. My memory seems to be that this is a one shot per game deal. I mean can you imagine a special teams coordinator if a team did it twice against him. He'd be in the unemployment line faster than the Dems were this past November.

1 time per game per team should be the max IMHO. Of course video proof of an ACTUAL NFL game with more attempts would change my mind.

JBHuskers
02-15-2011, 11:05 AM
Yeah I sure hope they cap it at one.

cdj
02-15-2011, 11:19 AM
Yeah I sure hope they cap it at one.

They did. Ian initially stated the cap would be two, but the ESPN Video Games story has it updated and listed at one try per game.

skipwondah33
02-15-2011, 12:30 PM
Yeah seen that as well. I was on board with 2 initially but it should be a 1 time limit

jaymo76
03-13-2011, 08:31 PM
Just read on pasta padre that Madden 12 should finally have the REAL Soldier Field in the game. Apparently they now have the licensing rights...

cdj
03-15-2011, 09:34 AM
Just read on pasta padre that Madden 12 should finally have the REAL Soldier Field in the game. Apparently they now have the licensing rights...

Here's more on that:

Whether or not Soldier Field hosts an NFL game in 2011, it appears the stadium will host NFL games on a Madden video game for the first time.

Soldier Field spokesman Lucca Serra said the legal documents are being drawn up for a deal with EA Sports that would give the company the right to include Soldier Field in Madden 12.

In the past, the home of the Bears has been referred to as "Chicago Stadium" in the Madden games.
Serra said EA Sports producer Phil Frazier asked about using Soldier Field in the games a couple of weeks ago.

"They never reached out to us in past years," Serra said. "We absolutely wanted to work with them, be well represented in the game and have an accurate depiction of the stadium. Apparently there was a misunderstanding that we were not interested."

Not all stadiums are compensated for entering into a licensing agreement with video game companies, but Soldier Field is expected to receive a minimal stipend to cover legal fees.

Courtesy: Chicago Breaking Sports (http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2011/03/soldier-field-to-be-featured-in-madden-12.html)

Details
03-15-2011, 03:46 PM
"They never reached out to us in past years," Serra said. "We absolutely wanted to work with them, be well represented in the game and have an accurate depiction of the stadium. Apparently there was a misunderstanding that we were not interested."

Ugh. No comment on this!

I'll keep it positive and say at least it finally worked out.

steelerfan
03-15-2011, 04:52 PM
Ugh. No comment on this!

I think you're thinking what I'm thinking.

Paakaa10
03-15-2011, 04:57 PM
Ugh. No comment on this!

I'll keep it positive and say at least it finally worked out.

I think you're thinking what I'm thinking.

Pretty sure I know what both of you are thinking, but I question whether or not this is specifically an EA SPORTS problem or a general video game football problem.

Remember, after all, that NFL 2K5 did not license Soldier Field either. It was known as "Chicago Field" while Madden had "Chicago Stadium."

steelerfan
03-15-2011, 04:59 PM
Pretty sure I know what both of you are thinking, but I question whether or not this is specifically an EA SPORTS problem or a general video game football problem.

Remember, after all, that NFL 2K5 did not license Soldier Field either. It was known as "Chicago Field" while Madden had "Chicago Stadium."

Actually, I was thinking the Bears are full of shit.

Paakaa10
03-15-2011, 05:07 PM
Actually, I was thinking the Bears are full of shit.

Oh :D. Guess I was wrong in your case.

Pretty sure I wasn't wrong with regard to Details though.

steelerfan
03-15-2011, 05:25 PM
Oh :D. Guess I was wrong in your case.

Pretty sure I wasn't wrong with regard to Details though.

Yeah, maybe I was. :D

JBHuskers
03-17-2011, 04:03 PM
According to ESPN's Jon Robinson, there will be some news coming Monday.

JBHuskers
03-18-2011, 12:39 PM
amazongames Amazon Games
Get $20 in Amazon credit with pre-order of #Madden NFL 12 for PS3 and Xbox 360. Happy Friday! http://amzn.to/ic2F0b

skipwondah33
03-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Damn thats an early preorder..

morsdraconis
03-18-2011, 10:22 PM
I wonder if you get the keep the $20 gift card if you cancel the preorder or do you not get the gift card until the actual purchase happens? (probably the way it works...)

There's no freakin' way I'd preorder it yet until I knew what was different about it. No freakin' way.

JeffHCross
03-19-2011, 09:35 AM
You don't get the $20 credit (it's not a gift-card, it goes directly into your account) until the product ships.

Finally got the NFLPA answer, courtesy IGN:

Those who love playing football on their console as much (or maybe even more) than watching the real deal on TV can rejoice. Despite the current labor strife, which has seen the NFL Player's Association decertified and the owners lockout the players, Madden NFL 12 will hit stores in August.

For those curious how this is possible, the licensing arm of the NFLPA still exists. Though it's no longer a labor union, the NFLPA isn't dissolved. So the contract EA signed with the NFLPA continues unhindered, as does the agreement with all 32 NFL teams.

JBHuskers
03-19-2011, 02:52 PM
I wonder if you get the keep the $20 gift card if you cancel the preorder or do you not get the gift card until the actual purchase happens? (probably the way it works...)

There's no freakin' way I'd preorder it yet until I knew what was different about it. No freakin' way.

The credit is typically applied 48-72 hours after it ships....

NatureBoy
03-22-2011, 06:35 PM
EA released the first teaser trailer for Madden NFL 12. And when I say teaser, I mean, it's really just a tease. The very brief view shows 10 somewhat hard-to-interpret scenes. Each scene hints at something new for Madden NFL 12, but what are these 10 additions? I'm here to play detective.

Check out the Madden NFL 12 trailer. Then look at the screenshot below, which points to each of the 10 Madden NFL 12 hints.

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/115/1157075/maddenscreen-in_1300831090.jpg

1 - Online
This may hint at lobbies for online franchises. The current online game hasn't started in the trailer, but there's a conversation happening while real-time scores of other online games are displayed on screen.

2 - Player Tendencies
Does LT choose to make contact or go out of bounds? What's his reaction when the ball's in the air? How does he respond to different types of defenders? Looks like this and much more will be factored in to help make players feel even more authentic this season.

3 - Madden Ultimate Team
The new Madden Ultimate Team cards include Walter Payton. Interesting fact: Payton is the only Hall of Famer released for Madden Ultimate Team so far. Does this suggest more Hall of Famers will make appearances in Madden Ultimate Team 12?

4 - Opening Ceremonies
TV presentation is important for any sports game and Madden NFL 12 may be upping its games with brand new game intros, which includes mascots.

5 - Pressure Field Goals
The easy guess is that there's a change to the kicking meter. Here's another possibility: pressure situations added for kickers. After all, a kicker's true mettle is decided by how they perform in clutch moments. Madden could be adding some sort of "choke" element. After all, the video shows solid Packers kicker Mason Crosby followed by Dan "missed another field goal" Carpenter of the Dolphins.

6 - Stadium Upgrades
This looks like a new blimp view of the stadium. TV broadcast camera angles and improved stadium lighting and visuals seem to be in the works.

7 - Custom Playbooks
Custom playbooks are in!

8 - Onside Kicks
One thing missing from Madden has been the ability to surprise the other team with an onside kick. In the past, if you set up for an onside kick, you have to kick the ball onside. You set your formation for a regular kick, you can't onside it as a surprise. Seems pretty clear from the video that this is changing with Madden NFL 12.

9 - Hot/Cold Streaks
Aside from a slick interface, you can see that there is now a clear indicator of players who are "hot" and "cold." This must be tied to franchise -- but is it game to game or could it even carry over from one season to the next?

10 - 3D Grass
EA promised it and here it is. 3D grass in full effect. You can even see the cleat sink in. Can't wait to see the wear and tear on fields over the course of a game.

LINK (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/115/1157083p1.html)

JeffHCross
03-22-2011, 07:32 PM
See now, if you hadn't included the link, I was going to give you all the credit in the world for that. That's an impressive article for IGN too. Thanks for posting it!

ram29jackson
03-22-2011, 07:42 PM
#10 3D grass? in all seriousness, who cares ? so, do you mean to tell me you think the players wont slide around anymore? they may have a few foot plant animations but I doubt it will be consistent.

no one cares about ultimate team, thats something you mess with when the season is over because you are bored and after playing a while, you realize how pointless it is.

player tendencies wont matter because the players wont play like their ratings suggest they are supposed to anyway.

these are my opinions but I highly doubt I am wrong.

jaymo76
03-22-2011, 07:43 PM
For #4 add cheerleaders AND mascots. The Tenessee shot clearly shows the players running by the cheerleaders with the mascot in front.

Details
03-22-2011, 09:08 PM
I'm happy with the video. Custom Playbooks is enough to declare it a success, even though it's long overdue.

It's March. I'll take 3D grass, mascots, cheerleaders, team specific entrances, improved field goals, and what looks to be a gamecast mode.

JeffHCross
03-22-2011, 09:08 PM
#10 3D grass? in all seriousness, who cares ? so, do you mean to tell me you think the players wont slide around anymore?I don't think it will have any tangible effect on gameplay. Just for show. Though I do think it looks pretty nice.

no one cares about ultimate teamActually, I think quite a few people care about MUT. More than I would have thought though.

player tendencies wont matter because the players wont play like their ratings suggest they are supposed to anyway.Tendencies != ratings. Tendencies show how they play, not how well they play. It may not have a huge impact on gameplay (though I think it will), but I do think it will have a significant effect on appearance. Players will play more like their real counterparts.

ram29jackson
03-22-2011, 10:24 PM
I don't think it will have any tangible effect on gameplay. Just for show. Though I do think it looks pretty nice.
Actually, I think quite a few people care about MUT. More than I would have thought though.
Tendencies != ratings. Tendencies show how they play, not how well they play. It may not have a huge impact on gameplay (though I think it will), but I do think it will have a significant effect on appearance. Players will play more like their real counterparts.

in Madden 11 you could put a kicker on the offensive line and he would hold his ground like an actual lineman. I doubt they will actually be any different next year. I would love to see it though....

skipwondah33
03-23-2011, 08:19 AM
I'd love for someone to use a kicker on the offense line or at QB when I played against them :D

JeffHCross
03-23-2011, 07:45 PM
in Madden 11 you could put a kicker on the offensive line and he would hold his ground like an actual lineman. I doubt they will actually be any different next yearWell, yeah. I doubt it as well, until they moved to something height/weight/physics based. I now know what you meant by "play like their ratings" -- wasn't how I read it at first.

ram29jackson
03-23-2011, 11:52 PM
if you look at the field goal kick, the linemen still magically slide in position to block as far as I can tell

JBHuskers
03-31-2011, 10:43 AM
Saw this on Twitter yesterday...concussions will be in Madden 12.

cdj
03-31-2011, 12:10 PM

Along with that, players who suffer a concussion will not be able to return to the game. You won't be able to bring them back in the same quarter anymore. ;)

JBHuskers
03-31-2011, 12:32 PM
Along with that, players who suffer a concussion will not be able to return to the game. You won't be able to bring them back in the same quarter anymore. ;)

"Would you like to play this guy at the risk of injury"

"Yes"

"Player X has just died on the field....cue old skool ambulance"

JeffHCross
04-03-2011, 10:39 AM

Decent article on ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6286127) about the concussions, including quotes from Madden himself and Phil Frazier.

jaymo76
04-03-2011, 02:07 PM
Decent article on ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6286127) about the concussions, including quotes from Madden himself and Phil Frazier.

Honestly I thought in Madden/NCAA that a player with a concussion was out for the game already???

JeffHCross
04-04-2011, 08:16 PM
Off the top of my head, I don't know that I've ever seen a player in NCAA get a concussion. I've barely played any Madden, so can't speak to that. I trust the other guys that you were able to previously bring them back in.

NatureBoy
04-11-2011, 06:52 PM
It looks like Madden NFL 12 details will be coming in a couple of weeks, as EA Sports and the Madden NFL 12 team are showing off a PR demo showcasing the Eagles, Broncos and Seahawks.

This comes from Michael Young's twitter page. we demo Tues, Wed, Thursday. Details should start to go public a couple weeks after.

This comes from Phil Frazier's twitter page. We'll be showing Seattle, Denver, and Philly.

gschwendt
04-12-2011, 05:04 PM
Madden officially announced for August 30th this year. Three full weeks off from the usual launch.

morsdraconis
04-12-2011, 05:05 PM
Hmm... interesting. Actually launching after the start of preseason. Maybe the senior members from EA leaving did have an effect on the timetable for the game release.

Jayrah
04-12-2011, 06:13 PM
Good stuff!cant wait to see the hawks in action.

cdj
04-12-2011, 10:22 PM
Two weeks later for the release makes some sense with Tiger moving up and possibly no NFL season. Tiger now has some extra time to stand on its own and NCAA gets the limelight for an extra couple weeks. If there's no NFL season, they will probably put extra marketing hype behind the release of Madden 12 as 'the NFL season' for some diehard league & game fans.

skipwondah33
04-12-2011, 10:58 PM
Thats what I was thinking as well CD.

jaymo76
04-13-2011, 12:03 AM
Madden officially announced for August 30th this year. Three full weeks off from the usual launch.

Awful for me. That is such a late date as my summer vacation is over and I am back to work.

Jayrah
04-13-2011, 12:11 AM
Might be getting back on the Madden train this year!

skipwondah33
04-13-2011, 12:01 PM
I've always hated how Madden released soon after NCAA. It always made me juggle both, it will be good to spend some extra time with NCAA.

JBHuskers
04-13-2011, 05:59 PM
If there is an NFL season, this pushes it closer to the start of that which I like better....you'll get an updated roster a lot closer to the release date.

cdj
05-05-2011, 08:43 PM
Here's some clarification on how concussions will work in M12:

"We're treating the injury more in line to how they do in the NFL," Frazier explained as we played an early build of the game. "It's not based on the Hit Stick, though. It's based on the area of the collision. So you have to actually hit a guy in the head as part of a tackle for it to even be considered for a concussion, but causing a concussion in the game is rare.

"I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but there were over 25,000 plays called last season in the NFL, and out of all those plays there were only about 200 concussions. So in "Madden," on any play, there is a .59 percent chance of a concussion happening. It's a very rare injury and it will be rare in the game."

Frazier also said that defenders will not be suspended in franchise mode for causing too many of these hits as gamers can't aim their tackles specifically at their opponent's head. "We don't have a mechanic in the game that causes a concussion," added Frazier. "There's nothing you can do to increase the likelihood of a concussion. We're not going there."

Courtesy: ESPN Video Games (http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/videogames/blog/_/name/thegamer/id/6486372/clarifying-maddens-concussion-rule)

Jayrah
05-05-2011, 11:59 PM
THAT is cool! Well done Madden team! That's is really cool.... Still