PDA

View Full Version : Breakout Season

Jayrah
05-24-2010, 04:22 AM
Well, we're getting really close to E3, and that probably means we're going to start seeing ratings come out, or we'll find a way to find em. It's "Get ya :popcorn: popcorn ready" time. Lately we've been top 5ing our favorite players across college football. We all know about the everyday name guys, the Jake Lockers, Mark Ingrams, AJ Greens and Mark Herzlichs of the cfb landscape. We talk about them all the time, but there are plenty more that take the field.

My question:

Who is THE player on YOUR team that is primed for a Breakout Season? The guy that out of your conference, or even your team, nobody knows about that is ready to make the jump to an all conference level. The guy that by the end of the year we'll all be saying "He should have been rated higher in ncaa 11", I didn't know he was that good!

What is the tangible reason for your pick? (In my opinion Freshmen should rarely apply here)

What do you think his rating will be out of the box in 11?

Jayrah
05-24-2010, 04:42 AM
For me the guy I'm looking forward to seeing breakout this year is CB/S #21 Chima Nwakachwu (N-WOK-A-CHOO).

First he's really smart. Student-Athlete Advisory Counsil President and represents the Cougs in the ESPN the Magazine 2 team all academic team

This kid is a 4 year starter, ever since day 1 @ Wisconsin 3 seasons ago. He got torched quite a bit that day, but he made 73 tackles that year and has seen a LOT of football. He's played every position in the defensive backfield, mostly due to depth issues, but some due to versatile ability. If we can keep him at S this season and stay healthy in the D-backfield, it will be a miracle first of all, but also would allow Chima to really grow into a premier S in the Pac 10 this season. He just really learned some ball hawking skills last season, and will have a much bigger secondary around him, which will allow him to make more plays on the ball. Also the D-line should be much improved based on a JC transfer and some depth finally, so Chima won't need to come up in run support as much as in the past. These are all the right ingredients for him to rip it up this season, and maybe move into a late round draft status position.

I would like to see Chima rated around 83 coming into ncaa 11. Might be lower than that though (maybe high 70's) based on Wazzu's woeful defense recently. He's gonna be better than either of those though.

Rudy
05-24-2010, 05:56 AM
I'm more of a casual follower of Michigan. I have no clue who will breakout.

Shane Vareen RB from Cal isn't exactly a nobody but he could explode this year with Best gone. As good as Mark Ingram is I swear Trent Richardson is better. Ingram will declare for the NFL after next year just so he doesn't end up on the bench.

JBHuskers
05-24-2010, 08:56 AM
Not sure what he'll be rated in NCAA 11, but I have a feeling that they could underrate Jared Crick. This dude had a huge season, thanks to Suh being double teamed a lot. He's the real deal.

Nice popcorn smiley there Jayrah LOL

BlindRedBaron
05-24-2010, 09:49 AM
I'm pretty sure he'll be rated relatively highly, but I can't not say Garrett Gilbert from Texas. Whether it's this year or next, I think we'll be in for a treat. Regarding the tangibles, I think he could be better than Colt McCoy in almost every way (arm strength, accuracy, height, etc...). While the intangibles are still up in the air, I think the NCG last year gave us something of a sneak peak. All that's left to do is for him to win.

My second choice, less obvious to some, is Sam Acho. The guy is very smart and very friendly (He's in Business Honors at UT with me). He'll no doubt be an Academic All-American this year, and he is primed for a BIG year. He has great talent off the edge, is quick, and has a knack for forcing and recovering fumbles. Not to mention, he'll be on a line full of top notch pass rushers. Even though the middle of our line is still untested, he will find a way to make an impact, and there will be a lot of talk about him come mid-season.

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
05-24-2010, 09:54 AM
Darren Thomas from Oregon... and if all goes according to what i saw at the orange and white game @ UT this spring, the freshman Tyler Bray for the Vols will be set for a big season... now... he wont have a breakout season on a "national" stage, but i definitely think he will definitely have a good freshman year as good as a freshman can have in the SEC... not trying to be a homer with them, b/c im ducks FIRST... but... you know what im saying... i saw some GREAT GREAT things when i was in knoxville... (my son wants to play for UT, not by my own persuasion lol but my wifes in an attempt to keep him close to home when he gets old enough for college lol)

"E"

I OU a Beatn
05-24-2010, 11:14 AM
I'm hoping John Brantley. He put up great numbers in high school and the coaches say that he definitely knows how to throw the ball, so I guess we'll see. He has some pretty big shoes to fill.

Flav
05-24-2010, 01:53 PM
Denard Robinson! Finally has been here for a year and now he has the full playbook under his belt. I think he will start over Tate.

Solidice
05-24-2010, 02:18 PM
not sure who could be a "breakout" for TTU, but based on some comments from the new coaching staff I think WR Cornelius Douglas could show some signs for the future. not talking about Crabtree-like numbers though, don't think anyone will get numbers like that from the WR corp Tech currently has. but Tech has about 8 or more WRs that rotate in, so he may not end up getting a ton of stats. Detron Lewis and Alex Torres will likely lead the WR group this year like they did last season.

I get a feeling that with the new OC at Tech, HB Baron Batch could make a big impact, but he was the starter last season so I don't think it'll be considered a "breakout". he got over 800 yard rushing last year(in '08 he was one of 2 HBs to get 700+ yards rushing for Tech), and with a faster pace offense with more possible rushing attempts, he could get close to 1,000 this year(it's TTU, so that would be a lot, lol). plus he is used in the passing game as well.

on defense, no clue. new DC, new defensive scheme, not sure what to expect.

razorback44
05-24-2010, 03:38 PM
WR Cobi Hamilton at Arkansas. Got some decent work at the 5th WR spot last year as a Freshman. By far the fastest WR on the team and has great hands. Looked much improved in the spring game and I think he will be our biggest breakout player this year.

pbplayer178
05-24-2010, 06:18 PM
For WVU Tavon Austin. He is a Slot Receiver/RB/Return man. Had had a kickoff return TD last year and one long TD catch. The coaching staff has said that he looked great in the spring and they want him on the field a lot this year. He could provide some big plays this year with defenses keying on Devine and Sanders.

Deuce
05-24-2010, 08:09 PM
For the love of all things holy please let it be Landry Jones. He would have had a huge season last year if you could take every pass he threw and lower it by about 2 feet.

JeffHCross
05-24-2010, 09:09 PM
For the Buckeyes: Taurian Washington, Carlos Hyde, Jake Stoneburner.

morsdraconis
05-25-2010, 01:26 PM
For WVU Tavon Austin. He is a Slot Receiver/RB/Return man. Had had a kickoff return TD last year and one long TD catch. The coaching staff has said that he looked great in the spring and they want him on the field a lot this year. He could provide some big plays this year with defenses keying on Devine and Sanders.

I agree. Austin has a VERY good chance of really doing something this year.

I think on the defensive side of the ball, if he isn't already rated highly, Robert Sands is going to be our second best player on the defensive side of the ball, behind J.T. Thomas, of course, who I think might have a good enough year to actually be in the running for the Bednarik this season.

Kwizzy
05-25-2010, 04:34 PM
If I have to chose one guy, I gotta agree with JB, Jared Crick(DT#94) will most likely be underrated pretty bad. Although every season preview I have seen has talked about him and Prince Amukamara(CB#21) as being studs so perhaps they'll get some love in the game.

Outside of those two...

On Offense, I would say they might overlook Rex Burkhead (HB #22) a bit. His numbers didn't really tell the story of how important he was (and became) as the season went on last year.

Defensively, I would say Dejon Gomes(CB/S #7) will be underrated, especially in his "Man Coverage" rating. The dude is a lock down defender & playmaker who happened to only see the field in the dime sets last year because our secondary was THAT good. He would've started for any of 10 other big 12 teams last year. This year they'll get hime on the field some at safety in addition to his dime role.

JBHuskers
05-25-2010, 05:01 PM
If I have to chose one guy, I gotta agree with JB, Jared Crick(DT#94) will most likely be underrated pretty bad. Although every season preview I have seen has talked about him and Prince Amukamara(CB#21) as being studs so perhaps they'll get some love in the game.

Outside of those two...

On Offense, I would say they might overlook Rex Burkhead (HB #22) a bit. His numbers didn't really tell the story of how important he was (and became) as the season went on last year.

Defensively, I would say Dejon Gomes(CB/S #7) will be underrated, especially in his "Man Coverage" rating. The dude is a lock down defender & playmaker who happened to only see the field in the dime sets last year because our secondary was THAT good. He would've started for any of 10 other big 12 teams last year. This year they'll get hime on the field some at safety in addition to his dime role.

Amukamara also came to mind for me. But I have a feeling Crick will be too low.