PDA

View Full Version : Multimedia Tower Solution (Ideas, Please)

JeffHCross
05-23-2010, 06:38 PM
So, after losing my PS3 to an YLOD, I have determined that I need a way to keep such components cool(er). I have a TV stand/entertainment center, but it's wood (probably fake wood) with a solid back. No airflow to be found there. Until last week, my PS3 had been sitting flat on my carpet, where there is a lot of airflow but probably lackluster heat dissipation.

I've been looking at Audio Racks/Towers, thinking they'd be a good place to start. In all likelihood, over time I'd want to store a PS3 (or two), maybe another console, a HTPC (if I ever build one) and a DVR. So 3-5 shelves should cover my needs.

The main question I'm running into is material. I've read that metal is absolutely terrible for systems like the 360 or PS3 because, while the heat is spread away, the metal is still coming in contact with the system so it's not actually helping to dissipate. Glass seems to be the most common material for Audio Towers, but I don't know if that necessarily means it's best.

Thoughts? Help?

For the purposes of this discussion, money is not an issue. I'm looking for advice for a general plan, not specific purchases.

JBHuskers
05-23-2010, 11:37 PM
I have a smaller TV cart to the side of my entertainment center that I have my PS3 and 360 on.

Rudy
05-24-2010, 05:37 AM
I don't know what to recommend. I definitely wouldn't put it on the carpet. Not only could heat be an issue but unless this is in the basement, the floor movement from people walking wouldn't be good for it either. I've got a nice wood entertainment center with cutouts in the back. The airflow could be better but it's not too bad.

JBHuskers
05-24-2010, 08:14 AM
Yeah I have the PS3 on top of the small TV cart which is completely open air.

Kinda like this minus the backing:

http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/41XNPBXX7KL._home-office-furniture_.jpg

Rudy
05-24-2010, 08:20 AM
This is the entertainment unit we bought for the basement. It's exactly what we wanted because it has enough glassed areas to put surround sound receivers, satellite, PS3, Wii, etc. I love the 3 open slots at the top as I put my center channel in the middle. I put the PS3 in the bottom right and have the back knocked out. I always keep the door open when using it as it would be deathly hot if I kept it closed. I nicely priced 47" LG sits on top.

http://content.blueport.com/ProductImages/2/52692.jpg

Trying to convince the wife to upgrade the TV upstairs but our older entertainment unit only holds a 32" TV. We'd have to get a new stand and TV and we just don't have the money for that. We splurged on the basement upgrade and with my wife staying home with our two young kids there just isn't a ton of money to throw around. We sometimes buy a nice gift like that as our Christmas gift to each other but we'll definitely have to be bargain hunting.

gschwendt
05-24-2010, 08:47 AM
Jeff, if you're getting a Slim, then the ventilation is probably not as big of a concern. I have mine in a unit similar to Rudy's except I don't have any doors on mine. I would probably recommend making a larger opening in the back possibly but I don't think a full media tower is necessary.

If you will still have a fatty, then my suggestion is to stand it up behind the TV... that's how I had mine for however many years before it died.

I OU a Beatn
05-24-2010, 11:18 AM
Yeah, you definitely don't want to leave it on carpet. That's a sure fire way to get the YLoD. I have my Slim sitting on top of my entertainment center right beside my TV. It stays pretty cool for the most part, and I only hear the fans kick on high when I'm playing a demanding game like Killzone 2 or Uncharted 2. Wood or glass is probably the best thing to put it on.