PDA

View Full Version : Who should be the NCAA Football 12 Cover Athlete?

cdj
01-28-2011, 04:41 PM
The college football and bowl season have come to a close and with it a final shortlist of candidates has emerged as potential NCAA Football 12 cover athletes.

Bowl season and off-season events have pared down the initial list to seven. The 'promise' at Ohio State, TCU's undefeated Rose Bowl season, the first extended playing two-way athlete in almost 15 years, and Auburn's dream season helped establish the final list of legitimate candidates and moved other athletes to the outside looking in.

The Favorites

http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/images/NCAA11/DaltonTCU.jpg

QB Andy Dalton, TCU - Out of the same mold as NCAA 08 cover athlete Jared Zabransky, Dalton led the Horned Frogs to an undefeated season and a Rose Bowl victory over Wisconsin. Dalton finished his career as TCU's all-time winningest quarterback, passing legendary Sammy Baugh.

http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/images/NCAA11/FairleyAuburn.jpg

DT Nick Fairley, Auburn - One of the top defensive linemen in the country, Fairley was a human wrecking ball in the BCS National Championship versus Oregon racking up five tackles, three TFL, one sack, and a forced fumble to earn Defensive Player of the Game honors.

http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/images/NCAA11/IngramAlabama.jpg

RB Mark Ingram, Alabama – The 2009 Heisman Trophy winner was slowed in 2010 in part due to injuries, however the allure of having a Heisman winner on the cover has to weigh heavily in the cover athlete decision by EA SPORTS.

http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/images/NCAA11/MallettArkansas.jpg

QB Ryan Mallett, Arkansas - Mallett helped head coach Bobby Petrino lead Arkansas to a BCS Bowl this past season and holds numerous school records. He is also among the top quarterbacks prospects in this year's NFL Draft.

http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/images/NCAA11/MarecicStanford.jpg

RB/LB Owen Marecic, Stanford – The first significant two-way player since 1986-87 helped Stanford to an exceptional 12-1 season, only losing to Oregon. In a victory over Notre Dame, Marecic scored a touchdown on a fullback carry only to return an interception for a touchdown 13 seconds later.

http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/images/NCAA11/NewtonAuburn.jpg

QB Cam Newton, Auburn – The 2010 Heisman Trophy winner was the face of college football this season, but off-season issues (pay-for-play allegations) may keep him from being the top cover athlete candidate. However, he embodies what most NCAA Football gamers look for in their quarterback - mobile, yet an accurate, strong passer.

http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/images/NCAA11/PetersonLSU.jpg

DB Patrick Peterson, LSU – With the Madden Podcast stating that improved zone coverages are a goal of the Central Gameplay team, EA SPORTS may look to put the top defensive back in the country on the cover. Peterson finished the 2010 season with four interceptions and three total touchdowns (1 INT return, 2 punt return scores).

Longshots

DB Prince Amukamara, Nebraska - Team faded down the stretch and All-American had zero interceptions on the season.

DL Da'Quan Bowers, Clemson - Led the nation with 16 sacks in 2010.

QB Blaine Gabbert, Missouri - Now considered by some to be the top quarterback prospect in this year's draft, Gabbert led the Tigers to a 10-win season and a co-division championship.

RB Kendall Hunter, Oklahoma State - Rushed for nearly 1,550 yards and 16 touchdowns in 2010.

QB Colin Kaepernick, Nevada – Second QB in NCAA History (Newton was third) to rush for 20 and pass for 20 touchdowns in the same season.

QB Jake Locker, Washington - Late season rally propelled UW to first bowl since 2002 and led Huskies to upset victory in rematch versus Nebraska.

LB Von Miller, Texas A&M - Racked up 68 tackles and 11 sacks in 2010, 28 sacks in last two seasons.

Coach Joe Paterno, Penn State or Coach Urban Meyer, Florida – Coaching Carousel was the winning feature for the 2010 NCAA Football Community Wish List Tournament. These two would lead list if feature is added in next several years, but is not expected for NCAA 12.

Early NCAA Football 13 Cover Athlete Contenders

WR Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State - 2010 Fred Biletnikoff Award Winner set NCAA records for yards by a sophomore and for eleven consecutive games with at least 100 yards receiving and a touchdown.

RB LaMichael James, Oregon - 2010 Doak Walker Award Winner broke Pac-10 sophomore season rushing record. 2010 physical harassment guilty plea may hurt image and marketing appeal.

QB Andrew Luck, Stanford - 2011 Orange Bowl MVP completed 71% of his passes in 2010, throwing for 32 touchdowns and rushing for 453 yards.

QB Kellen Moore, Boise State - In 2010, threw for 3,506 yards and 33 touchdowns. Put Broncos in position for undefeated season until a pair of missed field goals sunk the Broncos versus Nevada.

QB Terrelle Pryor, Ohio State - Barring successful appeal, 2011 early season suspension may cost Pryor award and honor consideration.

morsdraconis
01-28-2011, 04:50 PM
Gotta go with Peterson (for some reason, I always thought his last name was Patterson, but I guess I'm thinking of Patrick Patterson the UK Basketball player/NBA player). Seems like all signs point towards them going with a defensive player and while Fairly is very disruptive as a DT, a "shutdown" CB is more towards what they are doing with the improved defensive capabilities and such.

cdj
01-28-2011, 05:21 PM
All would be a good fit, but Cam's off-season aspects and allegations might keep him from it. Without that, I think he'd be the runaway pick (obviously).

I voted for Marecic. Smart guy, rare two-way player, and Stanford was a great story this year. However, I think Luck is the front-runner for NCAA 13 so that might keep Marecic out of contention.

(mors - Usually I keep his name straight, but when looking up his statline, I accidentally searched for Patrick Patterson, the former UK bigman. :) )

CLW
01-28-2011, 06:20 PM
Went with Peterson mostly just out of HOPE that NCAA will focus on defense (especially pass defense/coverage) in NCAA 12.

baseballplyrmvp
01-28-2011, 06:25 PM
if defense really is a focus for ncaa 12, then i think fairley gets the cover since he had a big impact in auburn's success......

casey matthews would also be a good candidate.

OSUCowboyofMD
01-28-2011, 07:02 PM
Andy Dalton.

But...if i could vote again id pick Kendall Hunter. But im going with Dalton. Dalton is a very underated QB who can run the ball and make good decisions throwing in and out of the pocket.

Gudad721
01-28-2011, 07:15 PM
Killa Cam Newton gets my vote, but i would love for a defensive player like Fairley or Petterson

Coachdenz
01-28-2011, 07:26 PM
RB Mark Ingram, Alabama

Rudy
01-28-2011, 08:19 PM
Went with Peterson mostly just out of HOPE that NCAA will focus on defense (especially pass defense/coverage) in NCAA 12.

That's a good line of thinking. I went with Ingram because he's arguably the most popular player on that list, a Heisman winner and has stayed out of trouble. He'll be a first round pick and potentially to my Dolphins. If that happened I would love having Ingram on the cover.

Peterson would be a nice choice if they wanted to feature defense.
Cam Newton would be a nice choice if they wanted to emphasize the mobile QB but the scandal around him rules him out as far as I'm concerned.
Mallett is an a-hole and there is no great reason to have him on the cover.
Colin Kaepernick could be a sleeper. He's a mobile QB that while nobody knows about right now, impressed a lot of people at the Senior Bowl and could slip into the bottom of round 1.
Nick Fairley could represent the champions. He's a bit dirty which may help or hurt him.

Any chance there are multiple covers again?

steelerfan
01-28-2011, 08:49 PM
The thread title and the poll pose 2 different questions. Thus, until management sees fit to provide much-needed clarification, I abstain. ;)

Paakaa10
01-28-2011, 08:59 PM
I selected RB/LB Owen Marecic from the Stanford Cardinal as a vote for the underdog. Have to respect a guy who can play on both offense and defense, and it'd be nice to get a non-quarterback/non-running back on the cover.

JeffHCross
01-28-2011, 10:53 PM
DT Nick Fairley or the overlooked LB Tank Carder

RussellWilson
01-28-2011, 11:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYqqnCHKibw

CLW
01-29-2011, 08:57 AM
I selected RB/LB Owen Marecic from the Stanford Cardinal as a vote for the underdog. Have to respect a guy who can play on both offense and defense, and it'd be nice to get a non-quarterback/non-running back on the cover.

I'd like Marecic too as he's just a gutty/tough kid. However, I doubt EA goes with back-to-back Stanford covers and barring something unforeseen I think Luck is a near lock to make the NCAA 13 cover.

steelerfan
01-29-2011, 10:32 PM
I doubt EA goes with back-to-back Stanford covers

I agree, however, it's not unprecedented. The NHL series has had Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews (both of the Chicago Blackhawks) on its last two covers. Having Marecic on the cover may actually make sense if we get the defensive upgrades we're all hoping for. Something with a tag line suggesting you have to play both sides of the ball now. IDK...

JeffHCross
01-30-2011, 12:02 AM
Not to mention, let's be honest, they shouldn't choose this year's cover based on who they presume they'll have next year.

steelerfan
01-30-2011, 02:21 AM
Not to mention, let's be honest, they shouldn't choose this year's cover based on who they presume they'll have next year.

Yep, this time last year Ingram was viewed like Luck....

JStein2469
02-01-2011, 07:32 AM
Cam would be the most likely choice, I just feel EA won't (and rightfully so) throw enough money at him.

I'll stick with the Tigers and say Nick Fairley. He really shined in a game that was supposed to be all offense and really shut down the Ducks. He's a top 3 pick in the draft and if EA isn't afraid to put a non-NFL prospect Boise St QB on the cover, then they'll absolutely put a DT on it as well.

CLW
02-01-2011, 09:14 AM
Cam would be the most likely choice, I just feel EA won't (and rightfully so) throw enough money at him.

Yeah they will DEFINITELY have to pay him more than Mississippi State refused to but Auburn paid. Sorry I couldn't resist. If they put that TRASH on the cover I actually might refuse to buy 12 on principle alone.

Boucher
02-04-2011, 03:38 PM
Really should be Leonard Hankerson

HWill
02-04-2011, 05:04 PM
Really should be Leonard Hankerson
:whoa::rolleyes::dunno::smh::D

MCdonnieG
02-07-2011, 03:13 PM
I would love to see a defensive player make the cover but I have a strong feeling Cam Newton is gonna be on the front cover...solid year+a championship=front cover

psusnoop
02-14-2011, 07:51 AM
I choose other, if I had to put someone on NCAA to represent I'm going to go with Gschwendt. I think his mug on the cover would easily bring in people off the street to pick up a copy.

steelerfan
02-14-2011, 08:10 AM
Tommy is an excellent choice. ;)

Sam Keller is another.

psusnoop
02-14-2011, 08:59 AM
LOL @ Sam

JeffHCross
02-14-2011, 07:43 PM
@randychase75
NCAA Football cover shoot is in the books....stay tuned to find out who
10:39 PM Feb 11th via TweetDeck

cdj
02-14-2011, 07:50 PM
@randychase75

I was just going to add that here in a bit. The shoot took place in LA last Friday. Does that shed any light or hints on who it may be?

JeffHCross
02-14-2011, 08:05 PM
Not that I can immediately think of. Other than Marecic, I'm not aware of any Cali connections for the other "major" candidates. If nothing else, I'd be willing to bet that LA was just a good place to shoot it ... not sure where EA shoots most of their promo stuff, but I'd imagine EA corporate -- except that Corporate is in SF, not LA.

Hmm.

gschwendt
02-14-2011, 08:56 PM
I was just going to add that here in a bit. The shoot took place in LA last Friday. Does that shed any light or hints on who it may be?
EA already knows they'll win the lawsuit and as a result, they have full rights to use all players' likeness including names. That allows them to make a splash with the first ever in-college player, Andrew Luck. :)

JeffHCross
02-14-2011, 09:00 PM
EA already knows they'll win the lawsuitYou better take that down before someone believes you :D :D :D

JHeb
02-14-2011, 09:15 PM
I don't care who it is other than Cam Newton...Please don't let it be Cam Newton. KThanks!

baseballplyrmvp
02-20-2011, 10:51 PM
@randychase75

there was a tweet made on nick fairley's twitter, on feb 10th, from some marketing lady, who was wishing him luck in a photoshoot that was happening on the next day (the 11th).... dont know if this is the covershoot though. :dunno:

JeffHCross
02-21-2011, 07:24 PM
there was a tweet made on nick fairley's twitter, on feb 10th, from some marketing lady, who was wishing him luck in a photoshoot that was happening on the next day (the 11th).... dont know if this is the covershoot though. :dunno:You never know, but I don't immediately see any connection between the "marketing lady" and EA. But you never, never know.

psusnoop
02-24-2011, 08:11 PM
I'm not sure Nick would be a top 5 choice of mine.

baseballplyrmvp
03-02-2011, 09:42 PM
mark herzlich would have been a great choice, after what he's been though these past couple of seasons. he's not the biggest name, but you couldnt make an argument against him.

HawkFan
03-04-2011, 03:10 PM
I wanted patrick to be on the cover. Love defensive guys, and thought it might be a hint to defensive changes in this years game. So much for the hint anyway. Of the four they gave us as choices I would want Locker, but it will probably be Ingram.