PDA

View Full Version : Defending HB Counter

PDuncanOSU
01-27-2011, 02:52 PM
I'm in year 6 of an online dynasty playing as Ohio State against a user controlled Michigan. I couldn't stop him last night running mostly counter plays to the left. I think he uses Bama's playbook, or maybe the singleback playbook and would run this same play from different ace formations and the pistol-slot formation. He mixed in playaction passes and runs to the right enough that I couldn't totally commit my defense to stop the run left, but he ran this play often and really killed me with it. Using the muliple defense playbook, I tried 4-3, 3-4, 46, 5-2, nickel, shifted the line left, played press, zone, man, blitzed, it didn't matter. I typically try not to have to switch players on defense and only user control the strong safety. Everytime he ran this play, my LE and LOLB would bite to the right on the counter and he would have the whole left side of the field to run. He has a very good HB and could usually beat my FS and CB on that side but even if they stopped him or I could get to that side quick enough from my SS spot he would have 7-8 yards min. I don't have a starter on defense lower than an 85 overall, and 8 or 9 of the 11 are above a 90 overall so talent isn't the issue. I checked play recognition and awareness ratings as this was the only reason I could think of for them bitting on the counter so often. Play recognition was always high, but awareness was almost always rated 50-70. Is the low awareness rating the obvious answer here to getting beat on this, or is there something else that could be the answer or something I didn't think of to stop this play.

Marlowe
01-27-2011, 05:20 PM
3-3-5 playbook might be worth a look. SS Dogs & SS Double Spy out of the Stack is a good place to start. You'll need to make some adjustments depending on what formations you're facing but those two should help cut off the outside lanes and force the RB back into the middle where you can clean up with the Safety over the top.

AustinWolv
01-27-2011, 09:33 PM
Blitz your corners.

whitepony99
03-06-2011, 04:36 PM
Best thing I found is the 3-4 defense just a base cover 3. It keeps them to 3 yard and under usually. Never go man and never blitz all out these will end up giving big plays. Also your best bet is user the safety and flow try to make the ball carrier cut it back inside

Keontez
04-09-2011, 02:30 AM
Try Bear Fronts against this . The 3-0-3 Defensive Line techniques with a blitzing linebacker coming through one of the "A" Gaps allows for some confusion on the line allowing your DL to get past the Line of scrimmage and it should allow your second level player to get in the proper position to close out the outside and fill cut back lanes. I usually just try to run a "Bend but dont break" defense against this.