PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to get two Impact HBs involved?

gschwendt
01-27-2011, 01:34 PM
In the fourth season of an Online Dynasty that I'm in using Arkansas State, I have two Impact HBs, both RSJrs. To make matters worse, they both have the same style, low 90+ SPD, 95+ ACC, and good other attributes. In a lot of situations like that, one player would have much lower stamina so it'd be easier to share carries; however both backs have 99 stamina.

I'm not interested in running a flexbone offense but at the same time, I want to get them both on the field together. Currently I run the Nebraska playbook and aside from putting one in at the FB in the I-Forms (which is cheese IMO), I don't really have a way to get them both in. To make matters worse, next season I'll have a third back (he's a transfer this year) that will have potential to be in the mix.

I really like the Nebraska playbook so any other potential playbooks I would want to find something similar to it and about the only formations I could see adding would be a Shotgun - Split and run some Triple-Option or a Wildcat formation.

Along those lines, would you consider it cheese to Formation Sub one of them into to the QB position in a Shotgun - Ace formation, but only running the option with them?

Anyway, here are their vitals if you want to see them.

Name|Pos|Year|OVR|SPD|AGI|ACC|BTK|ELU|SPM|JKM|CAR| STA
Jakhari Gore|HB|RSJr|84|91|95|99|83|95|84|91|73|99
Frankie Jackson|HB|RSJr|80|92|85|95|70|83|76|86|80|99
Bobby Crosby (transfer)|HB|RSSo|81|82|81|82|84|81|79|89|79|89

P.S. Neither really has true receiving skills to put them in a receiver position... though I suppose I could put them wide out and run some jet sweep option.

JBHuskers
01-27-2011, 02:16 PM
Before Storm Johnson got hurt in the 360 OD with Miami, I was doing a platoon with him and Mike James. I would start one back, and once they got 100 yards I would switch them out....if they didn't hit 100 I would switch them out in the 3rd quarter. I was trying to get both backs to 1000 yards, and I was well on my way, until Johnson went out for 11 weeks. Thankfully they both should be back next year.

Solidice
01-27-2011, 03:22 PM
I've had pretty good success using a 2-back system in 2 of my ODs. one using Maryland, and the other using Texas Tech.

for both i use the formation subs to fit the back I want in a certain formation. I didn't have many formations where I used both at once though, except the Shotgun split back formations.

with Texas Tech, I switch to a more run oriented offense and using the Mississippi State playbook. the goal line formation is actually a Wishbone, though I don't use it often. I pretty much went down the formation list and subbed in the other back for half the formations.

With Maryland, I'm still using their playbook, I just use one of the backs in the Ace and shotgun formations(the speed back), and the other for I-formations(the more power-like back). my #1 and #2 HBs with Maryland are impact players and will likely get 1,000 each as long as they don't get injured. *knock on wood*

for playbooks that could allow both at the same time(without flex and/or wishbone), probably something like BYU or Michigan. I think both of them have multiple Shotgun split-back formations(but are mostly shotgun formations). San Diego State has a wildcat formation and an undercenter split back formation that you could sub in the other HB for the FB.

Back when I was still using Texas Tech's playbook, I did sub in a HB in one of the slots for a few formations, so I could run the jet sweep with him. the negative, obviously, would be that he would likely drops more passes than a WR normally would. not sure about Nebraska's, but I think I've seen a playbook with an Shotgun - Ace that had a quick sub option for HB at QB(and WR at QB).

baseballplyrmvp
01-27-2011, 03:35 PM
maybe the west virginia playbook? i cant remember for sure, but i thought they have a lot of wr options, so you could formation sub your second rb in at that receiver spot and get some triple option stuff that way.....maybe even formation sub one rb into the qb spot and get a triple option attack with all 3 rb's on the field? i think there's some under center and i formation in it too.

Along those lines, would you consider it cheese to Formation Sub one of them into to the QB position in a Shotgun - Ace formation, but only running the option with them?
definately not....its a way for you to get the wildcat threat into your playbook. i did something like this using hawaii's playbook with the shotgun-wing trips formation. i put both rb's in the game and subbed an o-lineman into the designated te spot.

gschwendt
01-27-2011, 11:25 PM
I think I'm giong to give the Minnesota playbook a shot. It has a lot of the same style as the Nebraska playbook, though not the same formations *crossesfingers*customplaybooks*crossesfingers*. However, it also has Shotgun Split Triple Option and the basic Wildcat. It also has the Shotgun Empty Trey which will be nice because the Nebraska playbook doesn't really have anything suited as a come-from-behind offense.

steelerfan
01-27-2011, 11:57 PM
I don't have a great answer for you, Tommy, but I do wanna ask why so many see it as cheese to put a HB at FB in the I? I've read that before. It's not something I've ever done (short of a full Position Change with a 235+ lb HB to avoid playing a 1* recruit), but what real advantage would it be? There are so few FB running plays, I can't see it as a big deal (unless, of course, you ran FB Dives 15x a game or Triple Option). Can someone fill me in on how this is being exploited?

EDIT: BTW, not a bad problem to have. ;) I'll be starting an 80 OVR HB in year 3 of the TGT PS3 OD with PSU. :(

gschwendt
01-28-2011, 12:09 AM
I don't have a great answer for you, Tommy, but I do wanna ask why so many see it as cheese to put a HB at FB in the I? In my opinion, there's not a distinct difference blocking-wise between the HB & slightly above average FB so it's not like there is much of a hindrance to putting the HB there. However, the upside can be quite obvious.

With that said, I have to be honest that I haven't done a lot of testing with NCAA11... this though was basically a rule that my league created way back when on NCAA05 (or thereabouts) and North Texas had Patrick Cobb and Jamario Thomas in the backfield and the owner just ran dual-HB from the I-Form all game long. Ever since then, my rule has always been unless the RBs are equal distance from the LOS, you shouldn't use dual-HB.

steelerfan
01-28-2011, 12:14 AM
In my opinion, there's not a distinct difference blocking-wise between the HB & slightly above average FB so it's not like there is much of a hindrance to putting the HB there. However, the upside can be quite obvious.

With that said, I have to be honest that I haven't done a lot of testing with NCAA11... this though was basically a rule that my league created way back when on NCAA05 (or thereabouts) and North Texas had Patrick Cobb and Jamario Thomas in the backfield and the owner just ran dual-HB from the I-Form all game long. Ever since then, my rule has always been unless the RBs are equal distance from the LOS, you shouldn't use dual-HB.

I can understand that, like I said, it's not something I've employed. Just asking. :)

CLW
01-28-2011, 11:57 AM
I was going to suggest finding a playbook with a wildcat package. Obviously one of the backs could be the "QB" and then use the other as the motion guy. Other than that and possibly using packages/formation subs I really don't see any options unless you wanted to go Shotgun with Split backs.

Marlowe
01-28-2011, 02:31 PM
Formation subs is probably the easiest to do. As far as whether it's cheese or not depends on the league rules and your own.

JeffHCross
01-29-2011, 11:33 AM
Option Run playbook with the Flexbone and Wishbone, G. That's the reason I'm running it in Powerhouse, I'm in the exact same position. The Wishbone works decently well, though you can obviously stall the offense if your opponent can stop your run.

The other thing I'm considering is pretty much what Solidice suggested above ... platooning my HBs based on formation subs. I'm probably about to switch playbooks in Powerhouse with that exact reasoning -- I just find myself more effective in a vertical running game.

Along those lines, would you consider it cheese to Formation Sub one of them into to the QB position in a Shotgun - Ace formation, but only running the option with them? Y'know, I seem to remember a NCAA 11 blog that basically suggested that exact technique ... hmmmmmmmm ...

Riva
02-09-2011, 08:17 PM
Formation subs are the way to go. I was running LSU's pb for a long time and would use my quickest hb in the Ace, Pistol, and Shotgun formations while putting my bigger back in the Iforms and goal line formations.