PDA

View Full Version : 2011 NASCAR Talk

JBHuskers
01-21-2011, 05:41 PM
Let's start this year's NASCAR thread, it seems like there are a few fans on here......let's kick it off with your thoughts on the new rule of drivers only being able to race for one cup instead of multiple....

JeffHCross
01-21-2011, 08:08 PM
thoughts on the new rule of drivers only being able to race for one cup instead of multiple....Interesting. I hadn't heard this was finalized.

SmoothPancakes
01-21-2011, 09:51 PM
Interesting. I hadn't heard this was finalized.

Yeah, it was finalized just this past week (if it wasn't already before that). I read something about it earlier this week while doing my halftime show during basketball.

JBHuskers
01-21-2011, 10:18 PM
Yep it's a done deal. I like it....the last five (I think) Nationwide Cup winners were main Sprint Cup drivers.

JeffHCross
01-21-2011, 11:07 PM
I like it, except I'm not sure how much it's actually going to stop the Cup guys from doing double-duty at some of the higher pay days.

Plus, I remember wayyyyyyyyy back in the day when Mark Martin was practically the only Cup guy in the Busch Series and was running the Winn-Dixie #60 car. I didn't have a problem with that, but for some reason the Cup guys have just gotten dominant in the last decade. Martin did well, but didn't dominate the Busch Series.

baseballplyrmvp
01-21-2011, 11:09 PM
i think its probably a good rule.....its kinda offered some drivers an advantage as they could race the same track up to 3 times in one weekend, so by the time the sprint cup races happened, they knew exactly how to hit every turn

JBHuskers
01-21-2011, 11:11 PM
I don't mind the double duty guys.....but for the title, I like one or the other.

JeffHCross
01-21-2011, 11:27 PM
they knew exactly how to hit every turnHonestly, not really. The Trucks, Nationwide car and CoT are very, very different. Even after the Nationwide went to the CoT, things are still very different from the Sprint CoT. Some people have said it's not really an advantage at all.

JBHuskers
01-21-2011, 11:29 PM
Honestly, not really. The Trucks, Nationwide car and CoT are very, very different. Even after the Nationwide went to the CoT, things are still very different from the Sprint CoT. Some people have said it's not really an advantage at all.

Yeah car setups are completely different....Nationwide still uses the old car, Sprint uses the CoT.

baseballplyrmvp
01-22-2011, 12:06 AM
Honestly, not really. The Trucks, Nationwide car and CoT are very, very different. Even after the Nationwide went to the CoT, things are still very different from the Sprint CoT. Some people have said it's not really an advantage at all.

i know the setups are different.....i was more referring to knowing where the fast parts of the track are, especially in the turns. doing double or triple duty would tell them where the racing lines are......though, it probably wouldnt matter much in a 500 lap race as most guys would figure it out after 100 laps or so. lol

i just hope someone finally knocks off jimmy and chad. i'm so sick of hearing "and jimmy johnson wins the _________"

JeffHCross
01-22-2011, 01:09 AM
Yeah car setups are completely different....Nationwide still uses the old car, Sprint uses the CoT.Nationwide has their own CoT now. Still different, but not "the old car" either.

i know the setups are different.....i was more referring to knowing where the fast parts of the track are, especially in the turns.Yes and no. While they're going to have a general sense for the fast parts of the tracks, setup and car performance dictates a lot of that. A Nationwide car handles so differently from a Sprint CoT that the corners aren't going to feel the same. For the rookies, it's still a huge advantage to be able to race both, but experienced veterans probably already have enough knowledge of the tracks that even a guy pulling Triple-Duty like Shrub won't gain any kind of discernible advantage.

psusnoop
01-24-2011, 10:48 AM
I really like the new "one or the other" rule. I think it will help bring up some new faces that might have been hidden more so before.

JBHuskers
01-25-2011, 03:21 PM
CONCORD, N.C. - Speedway Motorsports Inc. president Bruton Smith believes unless NASCAR's fortunes begin to improve the Chase for the Sprint Cup format could be ditched within a few years.

Speaking during this week's NASCAR Sprint Media Tour, Smith told reporters the sanctioning body may have to abandon the controversial championship system unless he sees more positive response.

"It started off as a good idea but maybe it's time to look for something," Smith said. "I know it's not as exciting for fans now as it was initially. I think it started off being very important, but I don't think it's as important as maybe we thought it would be."

Although three of Smith's SMI properties host Chase races - New Hampshire, Charlotte and Texas - Smith isn't sold on the title system being a selling point for ticket sales.

Smith thinks since ticket sale interest and television ratings don't spike for the Chase, it could soon become a thing of the past.

"We may be looking around here in another year or two and maybe we have done something differently and we no longer have the Chase," Smith said. "That's my thinking. In one or two more years, we'll find out. That's just my opinion."

baseballplyrmvp
01-25-2011, 04:12 PM
a demolition derby would cause a spike in interest. :nod:

JBHuskers
01-27-2011, 12:06 PM
New point system is go.....I like it.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- NASCAR chairman and CEO Brian France announced on Wednesday a new points system for its top three series that will make the sport simpler for fans to follow.

The governing body also announced it will set qualifying order based on practice speeds and set starting order on practice speeds if qualifying is rained out. Previously, qualifying order was determined by a draw and starting order was set on points.

But the changes to the points system was the biggest news as France unveiled the new formula at the NASCAR Hall of Fame to close Day 3 of the preseason media tour

Under the new points system, drivers will be awarded 43 points for first place, 42 for second and one point less for every following position down to last. The winner will receive three bonus points with one bonus point awarded for leading a lap and one for leading the most laps.

The winner will receive a minimum of 47 points and a maximum of 48. Second will receive a minimum of 42 points and a maximum of 44.

The Chase field will remain 12 teams, but now the top 10 will be set on points with the next two spots based on wins for drivers not in the top 10, but inside the top 20. If there is a tie for either of the final two spots for most wins among those outside the top 10, the final spot or spots would be based on points. If all the wins are among top-10 drivers, the final two spots will be set on points.

Seeding for the Chase will be based on wins, with three points awarded for each during the first 26 races. But the 11th and 12th spots will not be awarded bonus seeding points for their wins.

Under this system, Jimmie Johnson still would have won his fifth consecutive championship last season, edging out Denny Hamlin by five points.

Under the old system, the winner received 190 points for winning and leading a lap, 195 if he led the most laps. Second received a minimum of 170 points and maximum of 180.

Under the old system, Johnson won the title by 39 points over Hamlin and 41 over Kevin Harvick.

NASCAR president Mike Helton said last week during testing at Daytona International Speedway that the governing body has been looking for some time to simplify the system for fans and drivers.

"Even for us we have to occasionally go to the rule book and look at what position got what points," Helton said. "The main goal is to get one that's just easier to understand and simpler, but you have to do that with credibility."

Helton defended the system that some believe will reward consistency over winning.

"We can continue enhancing the attention to and the appetite to win and bonus points and how we apply those to a basic simple structure to start with," he said.

The biggest question France and Helton had to address on Wednesday was why change the points system when fans have expressed more pressing concerns, such as shortening races, shortening the season and giving more points for wins, to name a few.

"We definitely communicated with our fan council," France said. "It's intuitive. We have a points system that is hard to describe for ourselves. We were sitting around trying to articulate every portion of it. ... We were unable to do it.

"And listen, we saw [in the Chase] going back and forth, Denny, Jimmie, Kevin, through the fall, and ... you needed a mathematician at the end and you still might to some degree. But it was complicated to follow."

France and Helton also defended the balance of the new system on consistency versus wins. The difference between first and last place under the old system was 20 percent, compared to two percent in the new system, which suggests drivers will be penalized heavier for a poor finish in the new system and make consistency more important.

Helton said there is room in the system to adjust and award more points for winning in the future, whether it's for the season or just the Chase.

"We don't ignore a change or make a change just for the sake of ignoring it or making it," Helton said. "We do things when we do it for the betterment of the entire community. The changes that we talked about today, it's a big deal to go from 43 to 1."

NASCAR discussed the change individually with Sprint Cup organizations before making a final decision. Officials considered awarding anywhere from one to three bonus points for winning, and as late as Monday told several teams two was the likely number.

France said the most important reason for the change is simplicity, even though he talked at the end of last season about expanding the Chase field to 15, and having eliminations and points resets during the Chase to create more "Game Seven" moments.

France said the new system will make the races tighter and suggested that allowing the final two Chase spots be set on wins did put more emphasis on winning.

"You think about it, you can get hot late and get in," France said. "If you're running 15th or 16th, you're just about out of the picture [under the old system]. And in the beginning of the season wins are going to matter because you may need one of those wins if you should have some DNFs down the road.

"So everywhere you turn you see that we may not take leaps in some instances, but you'll see a steady march to making and featuring winning as a more and more important part of this sport."

Johnson said earlier Wednesday he doesn't see the changes making a huge difference in the outcome of the championship.

"In theory, being consistent has always been the key," he said. "If you're in that 20th or 25th on down, you run out of points quick. You can lose a lot with a couple of bad races. That exists.

"The one thing I always remind myself is it's the same for everyone. Everybody has ups and downs. When you get to the Chase especially, we know you need a 5.0 finishing average or somewhere in that department to win. If you're racing for the big prize, I don't think there's a big change there."

Johnson's crew chief, Chad Knaus, isn't concerned with the new structure.

"The strategy is we've got to make the Chase," he said. "If we can pull that off then we'll worry about winning the championship."

Asked if it was coincidental the change came after Johnson won his fifth-straight title, team owner Rick Hendrick said, "It is coincidental, isn't it? The first I heard about it, I started looking at how will this affect us.

"Really it comes out about the same, but I haven't had enough time to really study it," Hendrick said. "It looks to me if you're consistently near the top and have a guy that could win and he has a bad couple of races, you could be in trouble."

Four-time champion Jeff Gordon said the new system makes sense to him.

"There are times I've been confused by the points system," he said. "[This is] a way to simplify it and connect with the fans. Whether you're a veteran or a new fan, you're making it more relevant to the positions on the track. It'll make it easier for the commentators to talk about and analyze for the championship battle.

"Especially as tight as these battles are going all the way to the final race. That's one of the things I heard in that meetings I'm pretty excited about."

Seven-time champion Richard Petty agreed a simpler point system is good, but he wasn't in favor of giving bonus points for anything.

"That has nothing to do with the race," the owner of Richard Petty Motorsports said. "We're the only sport there is that gives points or gives relief for leading a race or winning a race. ... Basketball, the last shot has got to count. You could lead the whole ballgame or golf game, and get beat on the last deal and that's it, you're beat.

"That's the way it ought to be in NASCAR. They ought to make it so simple a 10-year-old can keep up with points."

The qualifying changes will put more of a premium on practice, particularly on weekends when there is a threat of rain.

Last year, Harvick won poles in the Martinsville spring race and July Daytona race as the points leader. Johnson claimed the pole at the spring Talladega race.

In 2009, six races were set by points after qualifying was washed out and in 2008 there were 10.

David Newton covers NASCAR for ESPN.com. He can be reached at dnewtonespn@aol.com.

JeffHCross
01-27-2011, 10:33 PM
Giving the winner instant bonus points completely defeats the purpose of making it a 1-point spread. It's not 43 for 1st ... it's 47. Period.

JBHuskers
01-28-2011, 11:53 AM
Giving the winner instant bonus points completely defeats the purpose of making it a 1-point spread. It's not 43 for 1st ... it's 47. Period.

Yeah but they wanted to focus on those who won races over those who were a top 10 consistant, so it makes sense with the vision they wanted to convey.

JeffHCross
01-29-2011, 08:03 PM
Yeah but they wanted to focus on those who won races over those who were a top 10 consistant, so it makes sense with the vision they wanted to convey.It's semantics, but if they're going to insist on doing that, I'd rather see them give 1st place 47 points for 1st rather than three bonus points for winning (since that's a given) and for leading a lap (also a given).

I'm also not personally in favor of giving that much of an advantage to someone that wins. I actually prefer consistency over winners. Sure, I'm impressed by how much Kyle Busch wins ... but I'd rather he have to win and stay competitive from week to week over only having to win every so often.

Under this system, assuming at least one lap led, a guy going 2nd & 2nd in two races is equivalent to someone that goes 1st and 6th. That's a little much of a spread for me.

JBHuskers
02-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Bud Shootout next week, Daytona in two weeks :))

JeffHCross
02-07-2011, 07:34 PM
:nod: :nod: :nod:

JBHuskers
02-20-2011, 04:55 PM
Pretty awesome to see the kid Trevor Bayne win the Daytona 500...

JeffHCross
02-20-2011, 05:07 PM
Pretty awesome to see the kid Trevor Bayne win the Daytona 500...+1,000,000

CLW
02-20-2011, 06:20 PM
LOL heard he only had a part-time ride. I suspect that just changed.

JeffHCross
02-20-2011, 06:28 PM
LOL heard he only had a part-time ride. I suspect that just changed.Maybe, maybe not. He's still a 20-year old kid that's learning. It wouldn't utterly shock me if they stick with their original 17-race plan.

psusnoop
02-21-2011, 08:41 AM
Maybe, maybe not. He's still a 20-year old kid that's learning. It wouldn't utterly shock me if they stick with their original 17-race plan.

I'm just the opposite, as I think it would shock me if they only ran 17 races this year now.

JBHuskers
02-21-2011, 11:31 AM
I'm just the opposite, as I think it would shock me if they only ran 17 races this year now.

I agree, Wood Bros. haven't been prominent in years, and this has marketing $$$$ written all over it.

CLW
02-21-2011, 02:23 PM
I heard the kid say he signed that thing declaring his interest in the other series. So I guess if they are HARD CORE about that new rule he won't be able to go after the Cup this year.

JBHuskers
02-21-2011, 02:57 PM
I heard the kid say he signed that thing declaring his interest in the other series. So I guess if they are HARD CORE about that new rule he won't be able to go after the Cup this year.

Yeah based on reports, it seems like he's keeping his word to stay on the current track for 2011.

JeffHCross
02-21-2011, 07:20 PM
I heard the kid say he signed that thing declaring his interest in the other series. So I guess if they are HARD CORE about that new rule he won't be able to go after the Cup this year.The way I heard it ... he's allowed to switch, and he'll still get credit for the win, but all his points are forfeit.

psusnoop
02-22-2011, 07:15 AM
The way I heard it ... he's allowed to switch, and he'll still get credit for the win, but all his points are forfeit.

That is correct.

CLW
02-22-2011, 02:42 PM
That is correct.

Lol so take away 40 something points and give a big 0. Well that all but ended a Cinderella story of the kid making the chase. IF I were him I'd just stick with Nation wide (he finished pretty well in that race as well).

psusnoop
02-22-2011, 06:00 PM
I agree, I wish they have given him the chance especially since it is a new rule and all.

JeffHCross
06-26-2011, 05:45 PM
JPM: "It's hard when people don't know how to race road courses and they think they do."

:D :D :D :nod:

baseballplyrmvp
10-07-2012, 04:35 PM
great finish at talledega today. cant say that i'm happy about it being a tony stewart fan, but it was entertaining nonetheless.

tony stewart was leading just a half a lap from the finish, when he dropped down to get a push from michael waltrip (who was getting a strong push to the lead), when they got into each other, wiping out over 20 other cars.

JeffHCross
10-07-2012, 06:36 PM
great finish at talledega today.I'm not sure "great" is the word :D Chaotic, destruction derby, anti-climactic, and totally predictable all come to mind.

It was a good race though. And with a crash of that size, I'm happy that no one seemed to come out of it worse for wear.

psusnoop
10-07-2012, 08:26 PM
Glad no one was hurt, crazy end

psusnoop
10-11-2012, 09:53 AM
Dale Earnhardt Jr. will miss the next two races because of concussion issues.

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/8489668/dale-earnhardt-jr-concussion-2-races

JBHuskers
10-11-2012, 11:33 AM
Dale Earnhardt Jr. will miss the next two races because of concussion issues.

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/8489668/dale-earnhardt-jr-concussion-2-races

:fdown:

It was going to be a long road for the title anyways after his slow start in the chase.