PDA

View Full Version : How do you play NCAA Football?

cdj
01-19-2011, 08:28 PM
http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/images/misc/NCAAFootballTwitter.jpg

Over the past few days, the official NCAA Football 11 twitter page (http://twitter.com/#!/ncaafootball11) has asked gamers some questions on their game preferences and playing style. By themselves, the questions may seem simple but together they can give a clearer picture on how each person plays the game differently.

What is your favorite game mode in NCAA Football 11 and why?
Do you prefer to play Offense or Defense in NCAA Football 11?
What is your favorite play to run in NCAA Football 11 and why?
What is your favorite defensive formation to run in NCAA Football 11 and why?
Which side of the ball is your strength in NCAA Football 11?
When on Offense in NCAA Football 11, do you prefer to Run or Pass the ball?
When on Defense in NCAA Football 11, which position do you prefer to play and why?
How many points a game do you average on Offense in NCAA Football 11?
On Defense, which position do you think is the most important and why?
When you win the coin toss in NCAA Football 11, do you prefer to put your Offense or your Defense on the field first?
How many games of NCAA Football 11 have you played Online this year?
When recruiting in NCAA Football 11, what position do you target first and why?

Share your answers and thoughts with The Gaming Tailgate community.

morsdraconis
01-19-2011, 08:35 PM

Online Dynasty - because it's dynasty but against other people

Defense

This is a dumb fuckin' question.

cdj
01-19-2011, 08:41 PM

- OD. I wish we had coaching and conference offers online, but it's still a blast. Not even sure they could add the offers. Seems like it'd be a significant undertaking.
- If I am shutting someone down, I might say D. Otherwise, it's almost always offense. I like playing keepaway and not letting my foe get into a rhythm.
- Any sort of run outside. I enjoy it when the blocking works out perfectly versus the D and I can bust out a big run.

This is a dumb fuckin' question.

If they use it to flesh out money plays, it isn't. ;) Just checking through the responses on twitter, answers are pretty varied, surprisingly enough.

HWill
01-19-2011, 09:19 PM

Can't really say I have a "favorite" mode. I play them all.
Definitely offense.
:dunno:

JeffHCross
01-19-2011, 11:19 PM
Online Dynasty - It's completely changed how I play the NCAA series. I'm a dynasty mode guy through and through ... in every sports game I play, I always go straight to career mode. But until a few years ago, I'd never even played in an online league. Then Online Dynasty came in NCAA 09, and I've barely played offline dynasties since.

On any other version of the game, I'd say defense. I prefer to shut down my opponents or at least stop them more than they stop me. It's satisfying to win a defensive battle.

But, on NCAA 11, that's practically impossible. So it's Offense by default for NCAA 11.

Anything that catches my opponent off guard and gives me a positive outcome.

steelerfan
01-20-2011, 06:19 AM
- I still think it's offline Dynasty. The connection issues experienced this year and the overall pace still make online Dynasties better on paper than in practice for me. I like the ability to knock out multiple weeks in one evening. There's nothing more frustrating to me than waiting 2 or 3 days for the last guy to play his game (especially when it's the same guy practically every week, lol). Therefore, the pace and continuity of offline is still superior to me.

- Offense. Defense can feel like the old cartoons of trying to plug holes in a dam with your fingers and toes.

- 689 Hook. (I'm kidding, I think some of you will get it :P).

- 4-3

hillbill
01-20-2011, 07:38 AM

Easily offline dynasty. Been a huge geek with that mode since NCAA 2001. Online dynasty sounds intriguing, but I would have to be in the perfect group to enjoy.

I'd like to give props to a mode that gets no attention and that is the Single Button Mode. My five year old son has really learned alot about the game and more importantly football, by being able to play this mode. He is a future NCAA junkie!

I like both equally well. I just seem better at Defense though. :mad:

Weird question. Anyone one that works I guess...duh!

souljahbill
01-20-2011, 07:50 AM
1) What is your favorite game mode in NCAA Football 11 and why?

Offline Dynasty. I had a single player online dynasty going but there were too many issues with the servers and things getting uploaded and at the time, there was the 20 minute wait limit to advance a week. I switched to offline and have been good ever since. Hopefully, Online Dynasty works better in 12 so I can try it again.

2) Do you prefer to play Offense or Defense in NCAA Football 11?

Offense because I feel like I have more control of my fate as opposed to playing defense. No touchdown gets me as excited as stuffing a 4th and 1 run however.

3) What is your favorite play to run in NCAA Football 11 and why?

I don't have a favorite play. I try really hard not to call any play more then twice.

baseballplyrmvp
01-20-2011, 10:20 AM
•What is your favorite game mode in NCAA Football 11 and why?
online and offline dynasty. online d's are fun with friends but sometimes its nice to play by myself.

•Do you prefer to play Offense or Defense in NCAA Football 11?
there's defense in this game? never noticed it before. offense is way easier

•What is your favorite play to run in NCAA Football 11 and why?
no favorites. i try to call at least 30-40 different plays a game.

•What is your favorite defensive formation to run in NCAA Football 11 and why?
i dont really have a favorite defensive formation since i'm more concerned about trying to get one stop throughout the course of the game. i'm more into trying to find something that works....i call most of my defenses out of the 4-3 and 4-2-5, though, if thats what this is asking?

HawkFan
01-20-2011, 10:27 AM
Online dynasty by far. I used to love playing just regular dynasty mode but now being able to play with people all over the country makes it that much more enjoyable. I would like to see the things from offline get added to online though. Such as coach contracts, job offers, etc.

Defense, I find it a lot more challenging than offense in the game so I am always looking for a way to make my defense as dominant as my offense.

Let's see I have run an option attack, a spread attack, a pro attack and a one back attack at some point on NCAA 11. Some of the biggest plays I have ever had have been from the end around and they seem the most satisfying when they work.
I switch between the 4-3 and 3-4 on defense depending on my personnel, I stay away from the 3-3-5 and 4-2-5 because I have no clue how they are supposed to work and it seems I get burned a lot when using them.

AustinWolv
01-20-2011, 10:38 AM
1. Dynasty/Online dynasty
2. Offense, since defense is limited
3. Power off-tackle runs......because they usually work decently or for big gainers, and they are a staple of solid running attacks almost universally.
4. 4-3..........solid against multiple looks, doesn't get blown off the ball on the ground....well, until homefield advantage BS kicks in....

CLW
01-20-2011, 12:55 PM

Online Dynasty. I just wish there were coaching contracts and conference invites.

Neither. However, Defense is pretty limited in the series so offensive playcalling is more enjoyable.

I don't really have a favorite play but I prefer to call plays out of bunch sets which creates all sorts of matchup problems.

I don't really have a favorite. I'd have to say the 4-3 as a base defense and the 2-4-5 nickle and 3-2-6 dime in 3rd and long situations.

morsdraconis
01-20-2011, 04:30 PM

3-4 is amazing and the best formation

JeffHCross
01-20-2011, 09:13 PM
What is your favorite defensive formation to run in NCAA Football 11 and why?4-2-5. I grew to love it with NCAA 09, when I found it very effective at stopping the offenses I was facing while at Air Force. I use it whenever my personnel allows, and I've paid even more attention to TCU in the last few years because of their 4-2-5.

JHeb
01-20-2011, 10:20 PM
1-Online Dynasty w/o a doubt...It's amazing and can only get better if they'll add Coaching Carousel and Dynasty Invites/Dynasty Expansion (U/C).

2-Offense but nothing feels better than shutting the other user or CPU down when they need a scoring drive or on a goalline stand.

3-No favorite plays really. Whatever works for me that game, that week, vs. that team.

4-I vary on fav. defensive scheme to use. I tend to go 335 v. users who like to run then I use lots of 425 vs. the CPU. I also like to switch it up and go Multiple some. I never end up in 34 or 43 for some reason. Honestly, anything I do on defense feels like I'm just guessing at it anyway. I have no realy strategy. I wish I did. I want to know more about D.

gschwendt
01-20-2011, 10:35 PM
-What is your favorite game mode in NCAA Football 11 and why?
Online Dynasty... no question. Even before ODs I would participate in leagues which is what got me addicted to NCAA. In ODs though, you get to add in my favorite part (recruiting) and build your program over time.

-Do you prefer to play Offense or Defense in NCAA Football 11?
Defense... just because offense at times can be too easy, I prefer the challenge of building up a defense to suit my needs.

-What is your favorite play to run in NCAA Football 11 and why?
Really hard to answer that one... probably as of recent it would be Strong-I Tight HB Off Tackle... with two TEs and an offset FB, the defense pretty much knows exactly where it's coming, try to stop it.

-What is your favorite defensive formation to run in NCAA Football 11 and why?
3-3-5 Split, with an OLB on the line of scrimmage, it gives the look of a 4-2-5 but with more flexibility as to who I'm sending in as a 4th rusher. As well, I have a few tricks up my sleeve from that formation.

morsdraconis
01-21-2011, 05:54 AM
You bunch of sissies running your lame ass non-traditional defensive alignments. Be a man and stop them with the 3-4 or the 4-3. :)

Rudy
01-21-2011, 07:23 AM
http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/images/misc/NCAAFootballTwitter.jpg

Over the past few days, the official NCAA Football 11 twitter page (http://twitter.com/#!/ncaafootball11) has asked gamers some questions on their game preferences and playing style. By themselves, the questions may seem simple but together they can give a clearer picture on how each person plays the game differently.

Share your answers and thoughts with The Gaming Tailgate community.

Offline dyansty 100%.

I prefer playing on offense because there aren't enough options on defense (fronts and plays). The lack of player momentum really hurts playing pass defense. Plus I'd like to see a dedicated defensive camera outside of player lock.

No favourite plays on offense. I like to mix it up and I do agree it's kind of a dumb question.

I prefer running the 3-4. A lot more blitz variety. 4-3 gets old.

RussellWilson
01-22-2011, 07:13 PM
Offline Dynasty because I like playing by myself. It's better because of how you can control everything and it's not that laggy as online. I hope that EA keeps Offline Dynasty.
I have to go with offense because I'm a beast with Pro Style offense.
Hail Merry because I'm a beast like that.
4 - 3

cdj
01-24-2011, 08:41 AM
A new question asked this morning:

morsdraconis
01-24-2011, 10:38 AM
Defense. Yes, I know it sounds insane, but it's always been my strength (and my preference when building teams). The only problem is, it looks like a weakness now because EA has mirrored real college so much to where it's basically hope and pray that you actually stop someone.

psusnoop
01-24-2011, 11:17 AM
* What is your favorite game mode in NCAA Football 11 and why?
Online Dynasty, love the competition against other users. I enjoy recruiting against everyone.

* Do you prefer to play Offense or Defense in NCAA Football 11?
I prefer Defense, though I to love touting the rock as well. Defense wins out though I need to tighten things up as of late.

* What is your favorite play to run in NCAA Football 11 and why?
For me it is lining up in any I-Formation and running the ball. You know I'm going to run it, it's up to you if you can stop it.

* What is your favorite defensive formation to run in NCAA Football 11 and why?
Anything that results in a stop or turnover. To be honest I mix things up enough that is hard for me to gauge. Maybe 3-2-6 Man.

JeffHCross
01-24-2011, 08:54 PM
Which side of the ball is your strength in NCAA Football 11?Anybody who answers defense is lying (or, I suppose, interpreting the question in a different way than I). It's impossible for defense to be the overall strength in NCAA 11, which is half the problem. My personal strength in the series is defense ... but in 11 it's impossible to rely on your defense, so offense has to be the strength.

cdj
01-25-2011, 07:58 AM
Another new question posed to the community:

AustinWolv
01-25-2011, 08:30 AM
Another new question posed to the community:

Prefer to run it, but take pleasure doing both, especially setting up a PA pass or going pass after pounding the ball to force the D to respond.

Tell them they need to work on the defense though, don't worry about the offense. ;)

morsdraconis
01-25-2011, 09:26 AM
I-Form HB Dive FTW

HWill
01-25-2011, 11:56 AM

Offense, pretty much by default.

I prefer to run the ball, but I have no problem throwing the ball 30-50 times in a game if necessary.

PDuncanOSU
01-25-2011, 02:43 PM
•What is your favorite game mode in NCAA Football 11 and why?
Lag when playing against other users is frustrating, but having friends teams to recruit against, compare stats against, and gameplan for keep the dynasty interesting many seasons in. I still enjoy offline dynasty, but lose interest after a couple seasons and will start with a new team.

•Do you prefer to play Offense or Defense in NCAA Football 11?
I enjoy playing offense more, because I feel like I have more control over the success of the play.

I'm not sure I have a favorite play... I do enjoy catching an agressive defense in a blitz and getting a big gain on a HB or WR screen.

I like using the multiple playbook on defense. I like to recruit versatile players so that I can use the same personel in different defensive formations. I look for OLB with strength and pass rush skills along with some coverage skills to play DE/OLB, safeties with coverage skills as well as good strength and tackling to play nickelback so I can defend the run and pass out of nickel packages. I'm not a big fan of 4-2-5 or 3-3-5, I like the more traditional formations.

•Which side of the ball is your strength in NCAA Football 11?
I definitely have better stick skills on the offensive side of the ball. My dynasty teams though, are typically stronger on defense. This is probably because I typically focus more on that side in recruiting and I do feel that I am pretty good at defensive playcalling and putting my best players in positiong to make plays.

•When on Offense in NCAA Football 11, do you prefer to Run or Pass the ball?
I prefer a balanced, spread offense where I can be successful just taking what the defense gives me. I am typically better on offense though, when the passing game is more of a focus.

steelerfan
01-25-2011, 03:07 PM

Though I joked about 689 Hook before, I actually enjoy Ace and I formations the most and love running the football. Power O!

HawkFan
01-25-2011, 04:30 PM
Anybody who answers defense is lying (or, I suppose, interpreting the question in a different way than I). It's impossible for defense to be the overall strength in NCAA 11, which is half the problem. My personal strength in the series is defense ... but in 11 it's impossible to rely on your defense, so offense has to be the strength.

See I think we interpreted the question differently. I like the defensive side of the ball more because in this game it represents a lot more a challenge than the offensive side of the ball. That in itself making it more fun for me. Sometimes I find myself wanting to throw up 50 against the cpu and that's pretty attainable. But when I go out there and want to pitch a shutout or hold my opponent under 200 total yards, that is pretty hard. And there is the fun for me.

Rudy
01-25-2011, 06:38 PM
I prefer running the ball since I'm usually better at running than passing. I'm not exactly the second coming of Dan Marino.

JeffHCross
01-25-2011, 07:30 PM
See I think we interpreted the question differently. I like the defensive side of the ball more because in this game it represents a lot more a challenge than the offensive side of the ball. That in itself making it more fun for me.Oh, you and I are in total agreement. But the question was "which is your strength", not "which is your favorite". They had an earlier question that was "do you prefer" ... your answer fits that one pretty well, and I completely agree with. I'm fine with, and sometimes prefer, 7-3 games rather than 27-23. But there's no way defense is my strength in this year's game. More often than not I'm holding on for dear life.

http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image?provider_id=1007&size=550x550_mb&ptp_photo_id=7948585

baseballplyrmvp
01-25-2011, 07:48 PM
i consider offense my strength.

But there's no way defense is my strength in this year's game. More often than not I'm holding on for dear life.

same here.... and in a close game, i'll even debate whether or not to go all out on getting a defensive stop or give up a quick touchdown, just so i can have the last seconds on a clock. usually i decide to go all out on defense, and it 8 out of 10 times, it ends badly for me. :(

JeffHCross
01-25-2011, 08:27 PM
same here.... and in a close game, i'll even debate whether or not to go all out on getting a defensive stop or give up a quick touchdown, just so i can have the last seconds on a clock. usually i decide to go all out on defense, and it 8 out of 10 times, it ends badly for me. :(Yeah, especially since your opponent can essentially control the clock themselves. Unless you're able to do so badly that you end up giving a 1-play scoring drive, "letting" your opponent score still ends up running most of the clock.

xMrHitStickx904
01-26-2011, 02:50 AM
I'm used to just locking people down. Not so in NCAA 11. So offense has to be my strength.

cdj
01-26-2011, 07:08 AM
The latest question posed:

When on Defense in NCAA Football 11, which position do you prefer to play and why?

steelerfan
01-26-2011, 10:17 AM

I play NT/LDT/LE nearly exclusively. First, it puts me in the middle of the action on nearly every play. Second, it keeps me from blowing coverage responsibilities (particularly when a receiver is off screen) and I can always switch if need be. I just feel that controlling the LOS is more important (for me) than patrolling the secondary. I can help create constant pressure (or at least the threat of it) which makes my coverage better and helps tip the scales against poor coverage AI. I've read a lot of the "if you play on the DL, you're letting the CPU play defense for you" comments and I just don't buy it.

HWill
01-26-2011, 12:09 PM

Usually I play any of the Linebacker or Safety spots. No real specific reason, it's just what I have always done.

PDuncanOSU
01-26-2011, 12:52 PM
I typically play strong safety because I can be involved pretty heavily in run and pass defense. Against the run, my line and linebackers typically take on the blockers allowing me to come up and make the play. When defending the pass, I don't often have to worry about the receiver I'm guarding or my zone being off the screen.

Rudy
01-26-2011, 07:08 PM
I normally play a LB but struggle in pass coverage. Playing pass coverage on the PS3 has been too hard due to the lack of momentum of players. CPU players cut way too fast and you can't make enough plays. But I don't want to play DL the whole time either. I'll play a DE in obvious passing situations sometimes and I'll also play a S once in awhile. I will never use a CB. Just asking for trouble.

JeffHCross
01-26-2011, 08:14 PM
I play NT/LDT/LE nearly exclusively. First, it puts me in the middle of the action on nearly every play. Second, it keeps me from blowing coverage responsibilities (particularly when a receiver is off screen) and I can always switch if need be.This +1,000.

HawkFan
01-26-2011, 11:48 PM
This +1,000.

Yep, I always use a d-lineman for this reason.

morsdraconis
01-27-2011, 03:35 PM
I need to start using d-linemen again instead of playing the safety, but there are some coverage plays that I use where I have to play the safety to cover a larger part of the field than normal.

HawkFan
01-27-2011, 05:46 PM
I need to start using d-linemen again instead of playing the safety, but there are some coverage plays that I use where I have to play the safety to cover a larger part of the field than normal.

See even when I tried to do this on this version and other versions of the game I would do more damage than good when it came to covering pass plays. That's why I stick to playing a d-lineman and then click over after the play go away from me or the ball is in the air. That way I do not have to worry about screwing up the coverage but I can user pick passes and flow to the ball with unblocked linebackers and such.

Rudy
01-27-2011, 06:01 PM
See even when I tried to do this on this version and other versions of the game I would do more damage than good when it came to covering pass plays. That's why I stick to playing a d-lineman and then click over after the play go away from me or the ball is in the air. That way I do not have to worry about screwing up the coverage but I can user pick passes and flow to the ball with unblocked linebackers and such.

I'm curious if you felt the same way with pass coverage on the ps2? I maintain the lack of player momentum has made pass coverage too hard on the PS3 to the point it's impossible to cover people. On the PS2 I could cover and get a few user picks every season. I average about 1 user pick every 75 games on the ps3. EA has to improve this if they want to make playing defense more fun IMO.

JStein2469
01-27-2011, 06:12 PM
Game mode? Offline Dynasty
O or D? Defense
Fav. Play? Ugh, too many to pick from, but plays that attack the middle of the field.
Defensive Formation? Dollar. Good mix of coverage and run stopping ability.
Side of the ball thats my strength? I'd go with defense.

HawkFan
01-27-2011, 06:22 PM
I'm curious if you felt the same way with pass coverage on the ps2? I maintain the lack of player momentum has made pass coverage too hard on the PS3 to the point it's impossible to cover people. On the PS2 I could cover and get a few user picks every season. I average about 1 user pick every 75 games on the ps3. EA has to improve this if they want to make playing defense more fun IMO.

Back when I had a ps2 and played the game on that I would always use the middle linebacker or the free safety and I never had the problems in coverage like I do now. It's funny I think I started using the dlineman once I got the game on xbox 360. Hmm, that is something I have never thought about.

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
01-30-2011, 03:01 PM
- I still think it's offline Dynasty. The connection issues experienced this year and the overall pace still make online Dynasties better on paper than in practice for me. I like the ability to knock out multiple weeks in one evening. There's nothing more frustrating to me than waiting 2 or 3 days for the last guy to play his game (especially when it's the same guy practically every week, lol). Therefore, the pace and continuity of offline is still superior to me.

thats not an OD issue thats a commish issue for letting lazy people play in their OD...:nod:

"E"

JeffHCross
01-30-2011, 03:18 PM
thats not an OD issue thats a commish issue for letting lazy people play in their OD...:nod:Okay, no matter how many non "lazy" people you get ... you're never going to knock out multiple weeks in one night. Except maybe Offseason weeks, which wasn't what he's talking about.

morsdraconis
01-30-2011, 03:52 PM
Okay, no matter how many non "lazy" people you get ... you're never going to knock out multiple weeks in one night. Except maybe Offseason weeks, which wasn't what he's talking about.

I'd say he was talking more about how you inevitably have to wait 2 or 3 days for some slow fuck to play his game because he can't find an hour out of his busy schedule to sit down and beat the hell out of FCS West with Texas.

JeffHCross
01-30-2011, 03:54 PM
I'd say he was talking more about how you inevitably have to wait 2 or 3 days for some slow fuck to play his game because he can't find an hour out of his busy schedule to sit down and beat the hell out of FCS West with Texas.Yes, of course he was talking about that.

But he also said he likes to knock multiple games out in one night. That's never going to happen in an OD. Ever.

bogeyexpress
01-30-2011, 06:23 PM
Online Dynasty - You can start with any team you want, a 6* or a 1* and build. Recruiting gets old after a while for me, but building my team into "my" team is very fun. Having enough CPU games to balance the user games makes for a long and glorious experience.
Offense - Defense doesn't seem to respond like I want it to. I also like reading the defense and finding the correct offensive play(s) to defeat it.
I don't really have a favorite play, but enjoy using all different kinds of offenses.
I run the 3-4 generally, but have gone to the Multiple D PB. Right now I am partial to the 46 inside blitz with mods for QB pressure.
Offense
It's all based on down and distance for me. I try to remain balanced. I find that makes it tougher for the defense to predict what's coming.
When the game cycle began, I used DE, then shortly after switched to MLB and now FS. I do go back to MLB occasionally, but mostly FS/SS now.

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
01-30-2011, 08:27 PM
That's never going to happen in an OD. Ever.

thats why my point is the obvious fix... you can at least be stream-lined through the season... then if you have to wait maybe 2 days to get your off-season done its not so bad... just helping out... keeping people focused on things WE CAN HELP... while they work on the things we cant...

"E"

JeffHCross
01-30-2011, 09:15 PM
:: shrug :: Whatever.

cdj
01-30-2011, 09:20 PM

JeffHCross
01-30-2011, 09:48 PM
Way, way, way too much.

morsdraconis
01-30-2011, 11:13 PM
~28-35 a game depending on the team.

User vs user games in ODs are usually shootouts because most people are far more adept at offense than they are defense.

The thing is this though: The games are REALLY REALLY fun when they come down to the last possession to score to win/lose or the last possession in double or triple OT having stopped your opponent from scoring a TD and needing a TD to win it. Sucks when you lose, but man alive, college football is so damn exciting when that stuff happens in real life and I always feel the same way when I'm playing a game and it comes down to that.

Rudy
01-31-2011, 04:14 AM

It would be a lot easier to know how many points a game I scored it they didn't remove user stats from the game for no good reason.

HWill
01-31-2011, 08:13 AM

Way, way, way too much.

This.

baseballplyrmvp
01-31-2011, 12:17 PM

5 minute quarters: 21-28
6 minute quarters: ~28
7 minute quarters: ~40+
15 minute quarters: 150+

cdj
02-02-2011, 02:42 PM
Latest question:

morsdraconis
02-02-2011, 04:42 PM

The MLB. He's the heart and soul of your defense no matter what front you're using. A dominate MLB is like having a star at QB, it just makes everything easier on that side of the ball.

Coachdenz
02-06-2011, 09:37 PM
•What is your favorite game mode in NCAA Football 11 and why?•Do you prefer to play Offense or Defense in NCAA Football 11?

Online Dynasty, just enjoy playing against Human players in a str8 enviroment

Can't really say, I dont have a favorite play, but I believe you have to run the football to win and play sound defense.

I like the 3-4 but not really in this game

•Which side of the ball is your strength in NCAA Football 11?
I would say Offense because this is the way EA programs it to play, Defense is lacking.

•When on Offense in NCAA Football 11, do you prefer to Run or Pass the ball?
50/50 you must be balanced, but like I said earlier, you must be able to run to win.

•When on Defense in NCAA Football 11, which position do you prefer to play and why?
FS 90% of the time.

•How many points a game do you average on Offense in NCAA Football 11?

dont really know 34+?

•On Defense, which position do you think is the most important and why?
DL you need the hogs up front for run clog the running holes and pass rush.

cdj
02-07-2011, 09:00 AM
Latest Question:

When you win the coin toss in NCAA Football 11, do you prefer to put your Offense or your Defense on the field first?

steelerfan
02-07-2011, 09:21 AM

I prefer to kick. This has nothing to do with NCAA 11, it's just my way of thinking. I like to get the ball to start the 2nd half. That way, if I'm trailing, I get the first crack at getting some points back. If I'm leading, I have the opportunity to score and put the opponent in a bigger hole. I do this in all football games, not just NCAA 11.

psuexv
02-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Latest Question:

Preferably I would want to defer as most do in gaming and in real life. However since the CPU never kicks when it wins the toss I tend to receive when I win the toss to make the game more realistic so that I'm not always kicking.

cdj
02-07-2011, 10:06 AM
Replicating the strategy from real-life (which 90% of college teams do), I choose to kick-off. With some luck and proper clock management, I hope to score before the half and then again to start the second half, theoretically creating a 14-point swing.

I wish the CPU had the same mindset. Instead, they elect to receive every kick-off, helping to make them less competitive.

steelerfan
02-07-2011, 10:40 AM
You guys make a good point. The CPU elects to receive 97% of the time. That should be fixed.

morsdraconis
02-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Always kick. Defense wins championships.

JeffHCross
02-07-2011, 07:39 PM
I choose to defend the end zone that the wind is blowing towards. Since the CPU is always going to choose Receive, this allows me to both "defer" and choose the end zone I want ... which is, of course, what real teams do when they win the toss.

Rudy
02-08-2011, 04:36 AM
I used to always receive but have switched to defense this past year.

cdj
02-08-2011, 10:24 AM
Latest question:

JBHuskers
02-08-2011, 10:46 AM
Minus online dynasty, maybe 5.

morsdraconis
02-08-2011, 12:22 PM
Like JB, minus OD, 0.

steelerfan
02-08-2011, 02:46 PM
7 in ODs, 1 not in ODs (against JB, who's in the OD I'm in).

JeffHCross
02-08-2011, 07:00 PM
Like JB, minus OD, 0.This.

Rudy
02-09-2011, 04:47 AM
Online games 0. Online NCAA football games in my history - 2.

MCdonnieG
02-09-2011, 11:28 AM

-Without a doubt, Online Dynasty is my fav. If you're able to gather a group of loyal, competitive and sportsmanlike gamers you're in for a long-term dynasty that'll last you til next season. I commish a dynasty that started release date of NCAA 11 and as of right now we're in our 4th year.

-Honestly, that's a toss up. I love offense because I'm a former RB and the running game is superb between the tackles now! But defense is where you win games and hit-stickn someone this year is extremely gratifying! But if I had to choose, I would have to pick offense...it's the way I was bred!

-I-Formation Power-O.....if the defense is in man coverage, motion your WR to the opposite side of where you're running. This takes a defender out of the play and also gives your O-line and FB a chance to seal off the edge and move towards the second level, giving you nothing but daylight baby!!!

-No particular play on defense is my favorite. I tend to play the match-up game when it comes to formations and WR sets. So it's more improv than set-up. I love the 3-4 as of late though....you recruit a good core LB crew and it spells trouble for the QB all day long!

-Offensive side..the running game.

-I definitely try to establish the run before anything else. It sets up everything else you want to achieve...play-action....coverage....etc. Without the run, you're offense is pretty one-sided. I mean don't get me wrong, if you have a killer WR core then by all means pass the ball all game.

-This is my favorite question of them all. On defense I'm all about the FS position....extra run support...covering passing lanes....jumping the QB's read is what I'm all about. I been playing FS since NCAA Football 98 when Danny Wuerffel was on the cover....did I just say Danny Wuerffel!!

Coachdenz
02-13-2011, 09:23 AM

about 3 outside online Dynasty

psusnoop
02-14-2011, 07:49 AM

I've played a ton comparing to you saps.

I've probably got 40 online games in. I don't play online to win as much as to try stuff out against human players.

joshuahuskers
02-20-2011, 02:24 AM
Hey all, haven't posted over here in a while, but I got back into the game more than I had been recently, so I thought I'd post:

Definitely offline dynasty. I would love online dynasty, but with my busy schedule, there are weeks (or even months) where I simply don't have time to play a game. Offline allows me to work at my own pace. I also love the feeling of building up an entire program using Teambuilder. I ported by dynasty from NCAA 10 over to NCAA 11 and I love it.

Probably Offense. Only because I haven't gotten real deep into the X's and O's on defense.

I can't really pick one, I try to utilize a good chunk of my playbook.

I run a 4-3. I ran the 4-2-5 for a while, but it didn't seem to be as solid against the run, and it screws up some assignments in man coverage.

Definitely my offense as of late. I've really opened up my playbook more, and I think it's help me become a better player and I love it.

I would say run, as my passing game has always been shaking. I'm trying to move to more of a balance and improve my passing game, has to do with opening up the PB as described above.

I play DT. I don't know why, it just defaults to that, so that's what I do.

My Offense has averaged 34.88 PPG in 67 dynasty games. I use Oregon's playbook, and 9 minute quarters, which gives me ~125 total plays per game.

Defensive Line. It could just be my sliders, but I've had the most trouble stopping the CPU run game, and it all starts up from.

Offense. Because I want to play defense first, but the CPU almost always chooses to kick, so I pick offense for competitive balance over the course of a season.

mundo
02-20-2011, 03:31 PM
-What is your favorite game mode in NCAA Football 11 and why?
I am all offline dynasty for the same exact reason Joshuahuskers brings up

-Do you prefer to play Offense or Defense in NCAA Football 11?
I prefer to play offense because I just don't think the concepts are there on defense to be able to adjust as well as they are on offense (not that offense is perfect)

-What is your favorite play to run in NCAA Football 11 and why?
Not really sure I have one favorite play. If the question is what play do I call most by sheer frequency I would say read option in attempt to get some running game going as I build up my teams vs the big dogs.

-What is your favorite defensive formation to run in NCAA Football 11 and why?
I go 3-4 because as an Aggie if I don't I have to hand in my ring and maroon car (sarcasm). I do think the 3-4 gives me the best shot to adjust where I blitz from and change things up but that could be because I just know it better. It is also a ton of fun to recruit really good LBs that become badasses.

-Which side of the ball is your strength in NCAA Football 11?
My strength is definitely offense but that is probably because the defense is lacking some fundamental concepts that give the Offense a huge advantage. Many instances my offensive success is not because they made a bad play call, its just because their player doesn't align right or go to the right place.

-When on Offense in NCAA Football 11, do you prefer to Run or Pass the ball?
I like being as balanced as possible but it is really cool when a power run works out well

-When on Defense in NCAA Football 11, which position do you prefer to play and why?
I have mostly played the rush end. If I think they might run I am the DE/OLB on the strong/TE side, but if I think they are passing I go weak side. I do this mostly to make sure I am there to help against the run (which the CPU almost exclusively does strong side) and/or get a pass rush. However, recently I have been playing the MLB when he is a robber over the middle to help against the pass in case my DBs get rubbed off of WRs. I can't think of any other way to adjust

-How many points a game do you average on Offense in NCAA Football 11?
Nowhere near as many as I could if I wanted to. I typically force running the ball and slow down the offense in an attempt to keep the scores fairly in line with those on Saturdays... which are still pretty high these days...

-On Defense, which position do you think is the most important and why?
Gonna go with Safety with the way I play defense because I play a ton of 3-4 (even vs 3wr sets) and put my safety in man vs WR. If I have a really good safety that can cover, I can bring 5 every play to stuff the run game and harass the QB. When I have a bad safety, I have to start going back to the standard nickel and, if the CPU mixes it up well, they are able to run better - especially vs hurry up teams. Either way they still have moments against my safety because I just don't trust calling a zone and the matchup for them is rough.

-When you win the coin toss in NCAA Football 11, do you prefer to put your Offense or your Defense on the field first?
always defer and get the choice for the ball in the second half

none, sadly.

Geauxlden
02-21-2011, 06:36 PM
Offline Dynasty-I love program building. I like the competition against other users that you can get from an online dynasty but generally need to play according to my own schedule because of work and family.

Offense-Playing defense just feels repetitive for the most part. Offense has a little variety to it.

Zone Read-It has become one of the core plays in high school and college football and I'm glad that it's finally been added to the game.

3-3-5 Stack-I rarely use teams that play this defense, but I like the different things that you can do out of it.

Offense

Run-It feels better when you can get your run game going.

DL-I always use a DT or DE. I like to try to make a play up front.

Mid 30s

Safety-last line of defense, it helps to have playmakers on the back end.

Defense-I like getting the ball to start the 2nd half.

None

cdj
03-01-2011, 08:11 AM
The latest question:

DYNASTY QUESTION: When recruiting in NCAA Football 11, what position do you target first and why?

CLW
03-01-2011, 08:27 AM
DYNASTY QUESTION: When recruiting in NCAA Football 11, what position do you target first and why?

The position my team is in need of the most.

After that I tend to stock pile extra Wide Receivers and Cornerbacks.

psuexv
03-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Any #1's at their position that have me #1 followed by position needs.

steelerfan
03-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Needs come first, followed by the best players who have me high on their list.

MCdonnieG
03-01-2011, 01:57 PM

I'm with most on recruiting based on what is needed..but I always try to recruit a beastly FS. One about 6 to 6'3''....40 time b/t 4.3 to 4.5:nod:

gschwendt
03-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Safety is usually one of my primary targets simply because I use the 3-3-5 and great safeties that can cover (both man & zone) and tackle are at a premium. After that it'd probably be linebackers but that's usually because they're so hard for me to sign for some reason.

JeffHCross
03-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Any #1's at their position that have me #1 followed by position needs.Ah, the advantages of USC recruiting :P

I do a Self-Scout of all of my needs, identify who I need where, then go through searching my school's rankings -- i.e. I search through all the players that have me #1, then Top 3, then Top 5, adding everyone to my board that catches my eye.

psuexv
03-02-2011, 09:23 AM
Ah, the advantages of USC recruiting :P

:nod:

psusnoop
03-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Ah, the advantages of USC recruiting :P

Needs is what I try to shoot for. I do keep the ones that have me #1 on my board though and if I get a few commits I go after them as well. Which shows if you looked at my depth at QB, just crazy deep. I'm like G though with his LB'rs because I can't get a DT interested in my school it seems.

mundo
03-02-2011, 09:56 PM
a combination of need and the best player that has interest in me