PDA

View Full Version : Best OVR receiver in the slot.

Oneback
01-19-2011, 05:32 PM
I pose this question as my best overall receiver (88 ovr) is built like a slot receiver as plays a lot better in the slot. My two outside receivers (around 80 ovr) are bigger and not very effective in the slot but play well outside.

I know some people call BS when others put their best OVR receiver in the slot so I wanted to run it past everyone and get opinions.

Papa LoneStar
01-19-2011, 06:30 PM
I do it with Mike Davis....out of my 3 best WR....the other two are 6'2" 200+ with 86< speed and 99 acceleration.

Escobar
01-19-2011, 06:34 PM
I'm cool with, because I put recievers in the slot based on their SPD and ACC, and sometimes they have the best OVR.

JeffHCross
01-19-2011, 06:50 PM
I'm okay with it, as long as your (general "your", not you specifically OB) slot receiver doesn't become your absolute essentially exclusive target. As I proved at Ohio State, you can have your top receiver be in the slot regardless of OVR ... it's quite easy to do so. In my eyes, as long as you're not doing it to "abuse" the nickel/dime CBs, and are instead doing it out of strategy/fit/build, it's fine.

fsuprime
01-19-2011, 07:16 PM
ive always put my short/fast/shifty guy in the slot, i prefer 6'2 or taller WRs on the outside personally. I dont think this is an issue so much this year as it has been in years past oneback. I think it is more 'abusive' to put the 6'5 WR in the slot personally.

and jeff everyone knows that onebacks essential #1 target is his TE :) (jk oneback, im anxiously awaiting your passing game to return to Tennessee in ncaa 10 type effectiveness)

psuexv
01-20-2011, 08:06 AM
I'm ok with it. I tend to switch receivers around and had Prater in the slot in two formations last year.

Iron Dragon
01-24-2011, 08:53 PM
I'm a little late here...

I generally use a variety of WRs and Millard, an agile TE in various spots on the field.. I have Millard shifted out in the slot on one formation, and Erik Richardson moved to the inside on 5WR, although mainly with the introduction of Thomas Goff, he normally stays in the slot as a true #4 WR.

I move guys around where I think they have the best chance to make a play.. I like to put my playmakers all over the field, like what I do with Clay & Finch by moving them out as WRs or moving a WR back as a RB just to create some variety on offense.

Basically I'm saying, if you wanna do it, do it.