PDA

View Full Version : Killzone 3 (PS3)

I OU a Beatn
05-21-2010, 07:24 PM
GamePro let it slip:

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/kz2pic.jpg

Looks like Killzone 3 is real, the latest issue of Gamepro apparently has the details.

Expect a feeling that the player will be “in a place far away from home, outnumbered”, there’ll be jetpacks, arctic levels, and – oh – 3D graphics, which require a 3D TV and, obviously, 3D glasses.

The mag hints at a grander scale and a new weapon called “the Wasp”.

I’ve a sneaky feeling Killzone 3 was shown to a few journalists a week or two back, and there’ll be an embargo up soonish.

Words can not describe how excited I am for this game.

I OU a Beatn
05-24-2010, 10:54 AM
There are no pre-renders, no elaborate unplayable cut-scenes and no false promises; Killzone 3's reveal is pure and simple – an extended hands-on with the fourth level of a game that we're thrilled to report is full of awesome. In a cinema a few hundred yards from Guerrilla's studio in an Amsterdam that is, thanks to an ongoing strike from the city's refuse services, looking as grimy and hostile as the surface of Helghan itself, we're given the first look at a game that's going to get PS3 owners frothing all over again.

There's much that is familiar from the outset; picking up from the cliff-hanger ending of Killzone 2, Sev, Rico and the rest of the ISA forces – severely diminished by the climactic nuke - battle with a Helghan army that finds itself in the throes of a power struggle. "It's David vs. Goliath," explains Guerrilla's Herman Hulst, "but this time Goliath has bought a thousand troops and a thermonuclear arsenal."

From a distance, Killzone 3 looks familiar too; development began just as Killzone 2 shipped and naturally it uses the same engine as that game. Not that that's a bad thing: Killzone 2 is still to this day one of the prettiest shooters, with the only game that's likely to threaten its mantle the imminent Crysis 2.

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/109/1092173/killzone-3-20100524073014348-000.jpg

But it's not the likes of Crytek, Treyarch or DICE that Guerrilla is pitting itself against; instead, it sees its competition much closer to home. "Of course, some little games came out just after us," says Hulst, referring to the critical successes of Heavy Rain, Uncharted 2 and God of War III. "As proud as we are of our friends at Worldwide Studios, these games inspired us to step it up and deliver a full-blown sequel to Killzone 2, and one that gets better on every front. There's nothing like some friendly competition to get us to raise the bar once again."

"They both did a fantastic job," agrees Senior Producer Steven Ter Heide. "Uncharted 2 obviously did great things with storytelling and God of War III did great things with scale. It's all stuff that we take on board – obviously we're a different kind of game and it's going to be a different experience, but we look at what they do and see how we can implement those kinds of thing. They've pushed us to work harder."

It's easy to see the relationship between Killzone 3 and Killzone 2 running along similar lines to that between Uncharted 2 and the original Uncharted. Just as Nathan Drake's second outing remedied every gripe with the first, Killzone 3 sidesteps the issues with its predecessor, while at the same time making everything that was great about Killzone 2 that little bit greater.

It seems Guerrilla is wise to its mistakes and Killzone 3 certainly won't be making any of them again. A big criticism of Killzone 2 was its one-note palette – sure, the grim browns and dead yellows certainly helped the oppressive aesthetic, but over the length of the campaign they soon became wearisome. Killzone 3 answers this with aplomb. Although they're not shown up and running, concept art for several of the levels show that this will be a relative kaleidoscope of colour, with the dreary wastelands left in the wake of Killzone 2's nuke giving way to jungles filled with phosphorous light, through to the brilliant white of the snowbound level we get to play today.

They're matched by a new and impressive sense of scale too. The first three minutes we're allowed to go hands-on with has more set-pieces crammed in to it than the entire first level of Killzone 2, and it's also ten times bigger than what had gone before. It's a change that has obvious ramifications to the gunplay itself. "The biggest thing we're doing for Killzone 3 is trying to not only have variety in the environments but also in the actual gameplay experience - the stuff that you do from minute to minute," Ter Heide tells us, and that's certainly borne out in our hands-on with the game.

Titled Frozen Shores, the snow-whipped level takes place four levels into Killzone 3's single-player campaign and it sees Sev and Rico en route to an arms facility in a bid to rescue a certain Captain Narville. It opens as Sev takes point on one of Killzone's now signature flying Intruders, manning a mini-gun that's being used to rain hell onto the Helghan forces that occupy the big rigs below. Enemy airships soon swoop in to join the party, only to be shredded by the mini-gun and sent spiralling out of the sky.

It's Killzone as you know and love it: industrial landscapes being eaten up by the loudest of explosions and the absolute chunkiest of arsenals as the screen violently quivers. Set-pieces like this are Killzone's bread and butter, although there's now an added fidelity to their execution thanks to the employment of high dynamic range audio. It might sound like a meaningless technical buzzword but know this; it's one of the key reasons that DICE's Bad Company games sound so good, and it adds a perceptible new layer to Killzone 2's already rich soundscape.

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/109/1092173/killzone-3-20100524073016942-000.jpg

It's a small and very welcome addition, but by the time the Intruder is sent crashing into the snow by a Helghan RPG, Killzone 3 begins to really show where the changes have taken place. Having stumbled from the wreckage, Sev picks up the mini-gun that had proved so useful just seconds ago. Naturally, its bulk slows him down but it's a handy ally when facing down swarms of Helghast.

Things soon require a little more dexterity and the mini-gun is ditched, revealing some subtly refined gunplay. Guerrilla is coy on the specifics – no doubt down to the fact that the specifics are constantly being fine-tuned and are likely to be in flux until just before the game ships – but it's certainly more responsive than before. It's put to the test by level design that seems to favour more direct shoot-outs than the cowering gunfights of Killzone 2, but when cover is required it now seems more reliable and intuitive, and snapping behind objects is a much swifter experience.

One thing that's definitely improved is the melee system, as the clumsy system of old is superseded by a much more dynamic way to stab someone in the face. It's now context sensitive: creep up on a Helghan and it's possible to kick them up against a wall before plunging the knife with a further press of the melee button. Going toe-to-toe with them enables some gruesome kills, sticking the knife in places it doesn't belong like a Helghan's ribcage or eye socket.

However, there's one particular type of Helghan that's unlikely to be on the end of a brutal melee kill. Helghan's now have jetpack troopers among their ranks and they're brilliantly agile foes. It's easy to think that, in the wake of Halo: Reach's newfound aerial acrobatics, this is a case of me-too game design, but it's worth remembering that jetpacks were a part of the PSP spin-off Liberation and have been a part of Killzone 3 well before Bungie revealed its own take on them several weeks ago. And, regardless, the more jetpacks the merrier, as the old saying goes.

Sev's first encounter with the jetpack troopers takes place on the hull of a hulking steel freighter, and one of the initial delights – beyond simply seeing them whizz through the air – is by triggering off one of their randomised kill animations. When Helghans with jetpacks die, they die spectacularly! At one point we send one careering headfirst into a rockface; another time one's malfunctioning pack sends it soaring into the sky before it comes crashing back several seconds later.

Of course, it would be criminal not to let Sev in on the fun and soon enough Killzone 3 places a jetpack in the player's hands. A simple platforming section, jumping from iceberg to iceberg introduces the basics; tapping L1 sends the player skywards, while X lends a temporary speed boost. The altitude is capped but that doesn't stop them being a delight to pilot. There's a mini-gun attached that also proves quite handy, although it's prone to overheating.

There's one more gameplay element that our first hands-on with Killzone 3 introduces, and fittingly it's the most bombastic of the lot. The WASP is Killzone 3's all-singing, all-dancing new rocket launcher, and it packs one hell of a punch. Like the mini-gun before it, the WASP slows player movement and also like the mini-gun it helps turn Sev into a one-man army. Primary fire unleashes a barrage of missiles that corkscrew their way to the intended target, with smoke wisps trailing in their path. Secondary fire sees players looking down a scope, locking on to a target and then unleashing death from above as rockets fire into the sky before plummeting down and splintering across whole areas of the battlefield. It's similar to Modern Warfare's tankbusters and it's a brilliantly over-the-top addition to Killzone 3's arsenal.

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/109/1092173/killzone-3-20100524073011786-000.jpg

Oh, and there's one more thing that we've declined to mention so far. Killzone 3 will be one of the first Sony titles to support 3D out of the box, and thanks to a prototype TV using active shutter glasses set up at the event we can report that it looks stupendous – bullets zip out of the screen while particles such as snow and sparks are tangible elements of the game world. It feels like much more than a gimmick as well: peripheral details such as raging seas thrashing the icebergs combine with the way the player's gun seems to hang out of the screen (and indeed people were living up to the age-old cliché and reaching out to touch what wasn't there during the presentations) to create a level of immersion that's truly beyond anything we've seen to date.

Whether it's an option that will be enjoyed beyond the privileged minority remains to be seen. "I think the TVs will be out there and, like HD adoption, if people are buying a TV now they'll be buying a 3D one," says Ter Heide, "But the game itself is the meat – if the game's shit it's not going to sell, and 3D's not going to make a bad game any better. What it does do is make a good game even better."

Of course, there's more to be shown of Killzone 3: nothing's being said of multiplayer or co-op right now and when asked whether it'll support Move, the response is tantalisingly elusive. But we're getting ahead of ourselves and on this showing Killzone 3's already proved that it's got bite to accompany its bark. There are no pre-renders and no false promises, and frankly Killzone 3 plays so well right now that it doesn't them.

IGN (http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/109/1092173p1.html)

:eek: This needs to come out RIGHT NOW.

JBHuskers
05-24-2010, 11:01 AM
The offline mode was really engaging. Of course I played with Beatn a good deal online. There is just something about a respawn shooter that I don't enjoy, and I don't know what it is.

I OU a Beatn
05-24-2010, 11:06 AM
Yeah, those were good times. I think Killzone 2 was the only respawn shooter I've seen you play longer than 10 minutes. I'll never forget that time I got 6 kills with a single grenade. :D

JBHuskers
05-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Yeah, those were good times. I think Killzone 2 was the only respawn shooter I've seen you play longer than 10 minutes. I'll never forget that time I got 6 kills with a single grenade. :D

Yeah that was pretty pimp LOL --- I've played COD MW quite a bit (I gave up on MW2 pretty quick though).

Bring me SOCOM 4 please!

JBHuskers
06-01-2010, 08:28 PM
IGN's top 10 wishlist for Killzone 3:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/109/1093756p1.html

I OU a Beatn
06-12-2010, 09:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FWSPbbwbU0

JBHuskers
06-12-2010, 02:20 PM
Looks awesome. I'm not a huge fan of respawn FPS' but had fun with this one. Guerrilla did a lot of good thinks with KZ2.

JBHuskers
06-15-2010, 02:12 PM
drooling over this footage they're showing live now.

JBHuskers
06-15-2010, 02:13 PM
Just announced that the release date is February 2011, and will be Move compatible.

CLW
06-15-2010, 02:32 PM
Is this one of those "First Person" shooters? For some reason, I get physically ill when playing any 1st person games for longer than 10 minutes. TFL!

cdj
06-17-2010, 11:50 AM
Next Thursday night, KZ3 will be featured on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. (http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/blogs/2010/06/announcing-next-week-is-video-game-week-on-late-night/)

I OU a Beatn
06-17-2010, 11:54 AM
Taking a cue from CliffyB and Gears of War 3? :D

cdj
06-17-2010, 12:04 PM
It's a smart move. I'll probably skip Kinect night, though.

JBHuskers
09-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Exact release date announced, 2/22/11

JBHuskers
10-07-2010, 12:49 PM
http://www.gamefocus.ca/?nav=new&nid=11286

For Playstation Plus members, keep an eye on the PSN Store on 10/19 for the theme to download:

Beta starts 10/25.

I OU a Beatn
10-08-2010, 12:10 AM
Yeah, I'll be waiting by my PS3 all day to ensure I get it. I need me some Killzone ASAP.

cdj
10-22-2010, 07:18 AM
From Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/21/rumor-killzone-3-collectors-edition-features-helghast-goggles/):

According to an apparently now-pulled page (via PlayStation LifeStyle) over on the European version of the official Killzone 3 site, Sony intends to offer the game in three different flavors: standard, limited and collector's editions. As you can see in the screenshot above, snagged by PlayStation LifeStyle, it appears there will be bonus content offered -- specifically, the "Blood and Thunder" map pack, a gift card for an unspecified retailer, and a pair of Helghast goggles.

It's not too shocking, considering people gobble up working RC spy cars and statues, not to mention the pioneer in goggles-plus-game bundle, the Modern Warfare 2 "Prestige Edition." But with Killzone 3 incorporating 3D tech, we wonder if these proposed Helghast goggles will work with that? Probably not, but we're still trying to confirm the exact nature of these bundles and if they actually exist. Right now, Google is helping us lean towards this actually being a thing (http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#sclient=psy&hl=en&safe=off&site=webhp&q=blood+and+thunder+map+pack&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=9a951961ff9ba31d) (check out the first result (http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2010/10/helghastgogglesgoogledph.jpg)).

JBHuskers
10-22-2010, 09:14 AM
I know Beatn will be rocking those Helghast goggles....

I OU a Beatn
10-22-2010, 09:25 AM
Fo' sho'.

JBHuskers
10-22-2010, 11:04 AM
Fo' sho'.

That needs to be your new avatar.

cdj
12-18-2010, 07:35 PM
From Joystiq:

Killzone 3 Move preview: Point and shoot (http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/18/killzone-3-playstation-move-preview/)

Read the article for the author's full thoughts, but here is the conclusion:

So, after lots of playing on the Move, I decided to go back to using the standard controller. I have to say, it wasn't easy. While turning the character's head and body is quicker with an analog stick, the Move is much more precise at aiming within the character's current field of vision. I was also now more aware of the (frequent!) times I had to take my thumb off of the right stick to reload with a button press.

While I don't anticipate playing Killzone 3 in 3D, I am now committed to using the Move for my first full playthrough of the game. Not only does its integration seem justified to me, but I'm sold on its improved accuracy and greater sense of immersion over the DualShock controller. Guerrilla Games has shown me that even when a game isn't expressly designed for motion controls, the experience can be heightened with PlayStation Move.

I OU a Beatn
01-06-2011, 01:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJnj2A46SS0&hd=1

JBHuskers
01-06-2011, 02:16 PM
Holy. Shit.

I OU a Beatn
01-19-2011, 11:29 AM
Buy KZ3 get early access to SOCOM 4 Beta (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/01/19/buy-killzone-3-get-early-access-to-the-socom-4-multiplayer-beta/)

Awesome.

skipwondah33
01-19-2011, 12:22 PM
I can't remember if I bough Killzone 2 or not lol

I'm pretty sure I didn't get it so I'll have to pick that up too

I OU a Beatn
01-19-2011, 12:42 PM
Yeah, Killzone 2 is the damn near perfect shooter for me. I'd hate to think how many hours I put into that game en route to reaching the highest rank and getting the platinum. They've kind of nerfed Killzone 3 for casual players, but I'll still play the everlonging shit out of it. If you're used to Call of Duty and get Killzone 2, you're going to be in a rude awakening with the controls. They're slow, methodical, and the AI will make you pay until you get used to them.

JBHuskers
01-19-2011, 12:43 PM
I can't remember if I bough Killzone 2 or not lol

I'm pretty sure I didn't get it so I'll have to pick that up too

Yeah Beat'n and I had some fun sessions on it.

JBHuskers
01-24-2011, 06:47 PM
Killzone 3 to include 'total' PlayStation Home integration (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/24/killzone-3-to-include-total-playstation-home-integration/)

cdj
01-25-2011, 12:46 AM
Killzone 3 to include 'total' PlayStation Home integration (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/24/killzone-3-to-include-total-playstation-home-integration/)

If you happen to wander into PlayStation Home's Central Plaza after this Thursday, January 27, you may not find it as antiseptic and serene as you remember. As part of a Killzone 3 promotion, Sony is going to transform Home's main meeting area into "the last ISA stronghold," wrecked by a Helghast attack. Players can fight back in three "levels" of Home minigames, earning points that can be used to unlock content in the real game's multiplayer mode.

Sony is also adding the somewhat impractical functionality of a Killzone 3 pre-order from Amazon ... from within Home. For the first time, you'll be able to reserve a game from within Sony's virtual world, securing an exclusive jet-pack "costume" for your avatar (are you really asking -- not a chance it actually works!); in addition to Amazon's standard pre-orders bonuses, including more multiplayer points and the "Retro Map Pack" (two maps from Killzone 2 playable in the new game).

That's pretty cool. I don't use Home anymore, but it is nice to see them incorporating the game with it.

gschwendt
01-26-2011, 02:29 PM
KZ3 demo on 2/8 for PS+ members, 2/15 for all others (http://kotaku.com/5743999/go-hands-on-with-killzone-3-next-month)

JBHuskers
01-26-2011, 02:40 PM
KZ3 demo on 2/8 for PS+ members, 2/15 for all others (http://kotaku.com/5743999/go-hands-on-with-killzone-3-next-month)

Hope we don't have to be the first 1000 to download it to get it :smh: that was a disaster.

cdj
02-01-2011, 07:21 PM
From USA Today, Five Things You Didn't Know About Killzone 3 (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2011/02/five-things-you-didnt-know-about-killzone-3/1?loc=interstitialskip):

Many shooter fans who own a PlayStation 3 have circled Feb. 22 on their calendar in anticipation of Killzone 3, Guerrilla Games' latest and most ambitious sci-fi shooter.

By now you probably know about the smarter Helghast enemies, biggest environments and new weapons, melee attacks and vehicle gameplay.

But we wanted to dig a bit deeper, so we tapped Steven Ter Heide, senior producer on the game, for some additional details:

Damage control. Inspiration for many things in Killzone 3 actually came from previous titles in the series, like some of the new weapons. An example is the WASP, which can fire swarms of missiles, and a gyro-mount style minigun that never overheats. Inspiration from both weapons came from Killzone 1, where Rico carries a gyro-mount squad cannon.

Mother tongue. We always aim for high standards, no matter how big or small the feature. Localization, for example, might sound like a trivial thing, but did you know that Killzone 3 is localized in 23 languages? We even had our game localized in Brazilian and Portuguese.

Double duty. You might know that Killzone 3 can be played with the PlayStation Move controller, as well. And that the game has full 3-D support. But did you know you can combine them both?

Size matters. Killzone 3 is so packed with features that it barely fits on a Blu-ray disc. There is only 10% out of the available 50 GB of space left. Without Blu-ray, the game would fill nine DVDs.

Designer details. We have a team of visual designers that provide the artists with drawings from which they create 3-D props. And as our office is housed in a 17th-century building on one of the canals in Amsterdam, you can imagine there is plenty of reference for them available in the direct vicinity of our office. If you ever visit Amsterdam, you might recognize some manhole covers or electricity boxes!

I OU a Beatn
02-01-2011, 08:08 PM
9 DVDs? HOLY SHIT.

Anyway, I completed all the challenges in the Home game thing, so I'll get 3 unlock points for the game. I also preordered through Home, so I'm all set. Everyone said how hard some of the challenges were, but I completed everything on my first try. The controls are weird, but I am LOVING how they're using Home to advertise and promote huge Sony games.

JBHuskers
02-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Okay Beatn.....I got 99 cent release date delivery on both this and Bulletstorm on Amazon, so I have two games coming in my mail on 2/22

JBHuskers
02-02-2011, 02:15 PM
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/02/killzone-3-beta-delayed-very-slightly-to-tomorrow/

Beta delayed til tomorrow...hopefully Beatn's head doesn't explode.

I OU a Beatn
02-02-2011, 02:57 PM
I still have the old version to keep me busy in bot mode. I'm really interested to see if they fixed the issues from the latest beta, which had a lot of issues. They raised the bullet damage so much that 3 or 4 hits results in a kill, the spawn system is messed up, the matchmaking was messed up, there was massive amounts of aim assist, etc...Hopefully those issues are fixed.

JBHuskers
02-02-2011, 03:11 PM
I still have the old version to keep me busy in bot mode. I'm really interested to see if they fixed the issues from the latest beta, which had a lot of issues. They raised the bullet damage so much that 3 or 4 hits results in a kill, the spawn system is messed up, the matchmaking was messed up, there was massive amounts of aim assist, etc...Hopefully those issues are fixed.

Thank god....that's what drove me nuts in KZ2. Unloading a whole clip and you're still dead.

I'll be down for some online on release night Beatn.

I OU a Beatn
02-02-2011, 03:22 PM
I loved the bullet damage the way it was, but I would've been fine if they lowered it a tad. They didn't lower it a tad, they lowered it down to Call of Duty levels. Granted, they did it to kind of suck some of those 18,000,000 Call of Duty players in, but I don't agree with it. Hopefully they change it, a TON of beta players left some really nice feedback about how we thought about that decision, so hopefully it gets changed and lowered a bit. The bullet damage wouldn't be as bad if it weren't for the massive aim assist. It hardcore locks on and makes it almost impossible to miss once you get the target locked on with your reticule. Combine that with the mess of the spawn system and the huge mess of a matchmaking system and it was a huge letdown for me and a lot of the people that played KZ2 so long. They also Call of Duty'd the controls, which is another thing that ticks me off.

Regardless, I'll buy it because I'm a sucker. I have both that and Bulletstorm preordered, so I'll be busy come that time. Hopefully I can get enough time to play both. Not to mention, KZ3 comes with the SOCOM 4 beta that starts in March. Bulletstorm comes with the Gears 3 beta that starts around April. SOCOM 4 comes out in April. Jesus.

SOCOM 4 is another game that Sony decided to kind of Call of Duty. Killstreaks, regen health, and a cover system in SOCOM? WTF?

JBHuskers
02-02-2011, 03:27 PM
I'd take an in-between of the two then...didn't realize that it was basically on par with the bang and you're dead of COD, to me sitting here at my cubicle, I was thinking 3 or 4 hits sounded good.

I'll have both, and of course I'll have SOCOM, as like you, I'm a sucker with SOCOM, my first shooter ever.

JBHuskers
02-02-2011, 04:05 PM
I didn't realize my Amazon pre-order came with this.....sweet :))

http://www.killzone.com/kz3/en_GB/blog/features/2011-02-02_retro-pack.html

I OU a Beatn
02-02-2011, 04:12 PM
Yeah, I'll buy it regardless, but they changed so much about what made SOCOM so awesome. They even went as far as to get rid of Demolition completely. Yes, there's Classic mode that has the no respawn, no health regen, no cover system, no killstreaks, etc...

Still, they just changed so much. It honestly looks like MAG had a baby with Gears of War and Uncharted.

UGA14
02-03-2011, 06:05 AM
I always liked KZ2 because it didn't take 47 shots to kill a person and it wasn't just absolutely ridiculous ala Halo.

cdj
02-03-2011, 08:30 AM
Unless the demo gets delayed again, we'll make the KZ3 beta our Community Game Night this evening. (Sorry, 360 users. :() I imagine we'll have a high turnout for this one. :)

I OU a Beatn
02-03-2011, 08:46 AM
I'll definitely join in if I can avoid snapping my controller in half until then.

JBHuskers
02-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Review embargo must be lifted today.

Joystiq - 3.5/5 (http://aol.it/fspv3l)
IGN - 85/100 (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/114/1147560p1.html)

I OU a Beatn
02-03-2011, 12:25 PM
That Joystiq review is complete garbage. They said Killzone 2 only had one mode online and KZ3 only has 3 and they took points off because of it. Uhh, what? KZ2 had 5, and KZ3 has 7. What they hell are they smoking?

I do agree with this though:

"Rectifying the control lag certainly makes the game more accessible to the mainstream standard set by Call of Duty. A consequence of removing that weight, however, is that it makes similar classes of weapons feel nearly indistinguishable from one another. A submachine gun feels like an assault rifle feels like a machine gun, whether you're playing on a DualShock or a Move controller. The only difference between the weapons you'll really consider is the size of its magazine, an unfortunate misstep for those who appreciated the tactical aspect of the last game's combat."

...and that's exactly why so many fans of theirs are so pissed off. They tried to turn the game into Call of Duty, and because of it, severely fucked it up. HOWEVER, having played the updated beta, they did improve it a tad, and one of the developers stated it will be fixed more with a day one patch, so I do believe they actually addressed all the issues. Thank God.

JBHuskers
02-03-2011, 12:30 PM
IGN said 3 modes too.

I OU a Beatn
02-03-2011, 12:34 PM
I guess they're just being retarded and only counting Warzone, Operations, and Guerrilla Warfare? I don't know. I wonder if they realize Warzone has 4 or 5 modes within itself? :D

JBHuskers
02-03-2011, 12:34 PM
I'm excited regardless. We'll have to try to get a little bit of both games in online.

I OU a Beatn
02-03-2011, 12:45 PM
They nailed this shit. Once they patch in recoil, this game will be perfect. I'm surprised as hell considering how bad the last beta was. I'm immensely impressed.

JBHuskers
02-03-2011, 12:49 PM
If you're around, I'd be down for a little beta tonight. Gotta download it first.

I OU a Beatn
02-03-2011, 12:58 PM
I'll be on most of this evening, maybe tomorrow as well, but tonight for sure.

JBHuskers
02-03-2011, 01:08 PM
I'll be on most of this evening, maybe tomorrow as well, but tonight for sure.

Yeah I won't be on much if it all tomorrow.

ryby6969
02-03-2011, 02:39 PM
I just downloaded it and will play as long as my son will let me.

ryby6969
02-03-2011, 08:53 PM
I just tried to get on and it told me the world was full!:D

morsdraconis
02-03-2011, 09:10 PM
I tried earlier and it wouldn't connect after 3 or 4 tries, i just said screw it.

morsdraconis
02-03-2011, 10:04 PM
How to make another shitty FPS that I'll never play?

WAY overpowered shotgun - :check:

I OU a Beatn
02-03-2011, 10:33 PM
I don't think it's overpowered at all. You have to hit them dead center if you're not right in their grill, and even then it's a weapon that has no aim assist. If you want an overpowered weapon, look no further than the LMGs. Other than those, all the weapons seem to be pretty well balanced.

morsdraconis
02-03-2011, 11:20 PM
Dude shot me from like 45 feet away and one shot killed me with full HP. Pretty damn ridiculous if you ask me.

gschwendt
02-03-2011, 11:23 PM
I tried it but it wasn't for me... I think I'm becoming a mouse & keyboard snob. I'd much rather be playing a PC game than feeling like I have very little quick reflect control over aiming.

Probably if I played more I could adapt but for now I just don't enjoy it.

I OU a Beatn
02-03-2011, 11:28 PM
Dude shot me from like 45 feet away and one shot killed me with full HP. Pretty damn ridiculous if you ask me.

It was a fluke. I tried the shotgun myself and I definitely had nowhere near that range. Hell, at 10 or 15 feet I had to hit the guy dead center in the chest or head for it to be a one hit kill. You probably just experienced a really unlucky phantom kill. I'd be pissed too if I was gunned down with a shotgun from that far. :D

UGA14
02-04-2011, 06:07 AM
I couldn't connect online so I just played against some bots before going to sleep last night. I felt the game played great, some good additions from the last version which was also great. Such a good game.

morsdraconis
02-04-2011, 08:32 AM
I tried it but it wasn't for me... I think I'm becoming a mouse & keyboard snob. I'd much rather be playing a PC game than feeling like I have very little quick reflect control over aiming.

Probably if I played more I could adapt but for now I just don't enjoy it.

Oh, this has been me from the beginning and still is me. I HATE trying to play FPSs on a controller. HATE it. Give me a mouse any day.

Nevermind that the controls are so drastically different from pretty much every other FPS, it's mindnumbingly painful to try to remember to press in the right analog stick to bring up the sights instead of the shoulder buttons.

skipwondah33
02-04-2011, 09:13 AM
it's mindnumbingly painful to try to remember to press in the right analog stick to bring up the sights instead of the shoulder buttons.

Is there anyway to reconfigure the controller assignments?

I OU a Beatn
02-04-2011, 09:20 AM
You can make L1 aim and the right stick melee.

JBHuskers
02-04-2011, 09:39 AM
Is there anyway to reconfigure the controller assignments?

Just gotta change it to alternate.

JBHuskers
02-04-2011, 01:07 PM
Killzone 3 has now topped Black Ops as top seller in PS3 games on Amazon.

skipwondah33
02-04-2011, 03:03 PM
Oh ok cool. Haven't played a KZ game since the first one. Actually I did download the demo for 2nd one.

UGA14
02-05-2011, 12:55 PM
I've yet to be able to connect online. Get nothing but error messages. Loved KZ2 but if this is what 3 will be like I won't even bother. I have no interest in the offline portion.

morsdraconis
02-05-2011, 12:59 PM
I've yet to be able to connect online. Get nothing but error messages. Loved KZ2 but if this is what 3 will be like I won't even bother. I have no interest in the offline portion.

It worked once for me and hasn't worked since. Apparently, they have no idea how to work servers...

I OU a Beatn
02-05-2011, 03:02 PM
The beta was to stress test the servers. They're using different servers than used in Killzone 2, so the entire point of this beta was to get everything ready to go for February 22. I don't care if it doesn't work now, as long as these issues are ironed out for whenever the game releases.

morsdraconis
02-05-2011, 03:24 PM
I wanna know why this is yet another game where I have absolutely no way of knowing what the lag is from my end on the server? Why is it so hard to give me some idea of what the lag is besides playing the match and figuring it out? At least CoD gives you some idea of the lag. Anything to know whether I'm even wasting my time or not would be great.

I OU a Beatn
02-05-2011, 04:11 PM
It's using dedicated servers. You shouldn't be experiencing any noticeable lag at all. This isn't Call of Duty that uses P2P servers and your connection quality is based on the quality of the host. I played over 500 games on Killzone 2 and didn't experience a single ounce of lag once, not even a little hiccup. That's the one great thing about PS3 exclusive online shooters...they all use dedicated servers and they don't lag at all.

JeffHCross
02-05-2011, 04:49 PM
There can still be lag on dedicated servers. There shouldn't be anything near what CoD experiences, I agree with you, because that's P2P. But lag doesn't go away with dedicated servers.

It would be beneficial for them to at least include a way to check lag. I used to ping the servers that hosted the MMOs I played to test lag, especially back when I was on satellite Internet. Even if it's not as important as in other games, lag is still possible, especially for people in rural areas.

I OU a Beatn
02-05-2011, 06:33 PM
That's why I said noticeable lag. There's always going to be some sort of lag, but when using dedicated servers, you shouldn't actually be able to notice it. Like I said, I've never heard of someone complain of lag on Confrontation, Uncharted 2, Resistance, Killzone, etc..That's the one thing I give Sony, they don't skimp customers with bad server technology. Hell, MAG had 256 players and it was silky smooth online.

Anyway, I've now put 10 hours into this game. It has all the bells and whistles a shooter fan could ask for, and oddly, I'm absolutely bored as hell of it. I don't know if it's playing on the same map or what, but it's just missing that addicting factor I expect to feel when I play a good shooter. Part of the problem is the Call of Duty gameplay which is just boring as hell, part of it is how the weapons feel the same, part of it is the new spawn system, etc...

Oh well, it'll hold me over until SOCOM 4, which will together hold me over until Gears 3.

JeffHCross
02-05-2011, 06:36 PM
That's why I said noticeable lag. There's always going to be some sort of lag, but when using dedicated servers, you shouldn't actually be able to notice it.That's not true for everyone, that's all I'm saying. Some people will still lag because of their connection.

skipwondah33
02-07-2011, 03:02 PM
Downloaded and played the open beta...man is it hard to aim in this game

I find myself shooting everything but the target I'm aiming for. I don't recall KZ2 being like this...the demo of it I played but I could be wrong.

cdj
02-13-2011, 02:05 PM
Full Trophy list, including hidden trophies (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/11/killzone-3s-non-hidden-trophies-revealed/):

Bronze Trophies
Ready for Battle -- Complete weapons training in Prologue
In Your Face -- First Brutal Melee
No Witnesses -- Destroy all dropships in Broken Highway
Mopping Up -- Kill 40 or more Helghast foot soldiers in Senlin Beach
Sawn Off -- Destroy all chasing APCs in Senlin Beach
Smoking Wrecks -- Destroy all tanks in Senlin Beach
Turn the Tables -- Kill a Capture Trooper using melee
Spiky Personality -- Kill a Helghast by shooting a Burster Plant in Jungle Valley
Minigunned -- Destroy all targets while on the Intruder in Frozen Shores
Quick Exit -- Escape the oil rig quickly in Frozen Shores
Shattered -- Destroy all glass in the labs in Stahl Arms South
Pinpoint -- Kill the Heavy with an StA-14 in Blind Yards
Evening the Odds -- Kill 500 Helghast
Cagefighter -- Kill 10 Helghast using Brutal Melee
Frag Out -- Kill 3 Helghast with 1 Frag Grenade
One Each -- Kill 3 Helghast with the Shotgun Pistol – no reloads
Eagle Eye -- Every Sniper Rifle bullet is a kill – no reloads
Power Spike -- Nail a Helghast to an exploding object
Up Close & Personal -- Brutal Melee another player
Team Player -- Play a match as a part of a squad
Medic! -- Revive another player
Handy Man -- Repair an object
Now You See Me -- Kill using Cloak
Spy Game -- Kill using Disguise
Turf War -- Capture a Tactical Spawn Point

Silver Trophies
Now it's Personal -- Kill 1,000 Helghast
Fight to the Last -- Kill 1,500 Helghast
Close Quarters Killer -- Kill 25 Helghast with Brutal Melee
Hand to Hand Master -- Kill 50 Helghast with Brutal Melee

Gold Trophies
Victory Complete Campaign on Elite
Grand Slam Win a match in 3 multiplayer modes

JBHuskers
02-21-2011, 11:32 AM
Just got charged by Amazon for it :nod: can't wait for this to show up in my mailbox tomorrow!

I OU a Beatn
02-21-2011, 11:42 AM
Lol, I canceled mine. This is the first time that I was so pissed off by changes made to a game that I actually wont buy it. I'm immensely disappointed with the direction they decided to take the game, and this is coming from someone who put up nearly 400 hours into Killzone 2.

JBHuskers
02-21-2011, 11:48 AM
Wow I'm surprised....I'll probably just do the offline and then sell. I did get a $20 credit, they upped it from $10.

I OU a Beatn
02-21-2011, 12:01 PM
Yeah, the $20 credit is nice. Bulletstorm has that, too. I ended up getting Bulletstorm through Gamestop since I got rid of a bunch of old games that I never played, otherwise I'd have definitely ordered it from Amazon. Also, LOL @ Gamestop not doing a midnight release for a night that has 2 huge profile games. What the hell?

JBHuskers
02-21-2011, 12:03 PM
We'll have to roll on Bulletstorm tomorrow then.

I got $10 for Marvel v Capcom 3, and $20 for each of Bulletstorm and KZ3, so that's pretty nice.

I OU a Beatn
02-21-2011, 12:07 PM
Yeah, you'll be all set for the next game you want to buy. I still have over $100 in credit I haven't used. :D

I'll probably use that on Crysis 2 and LA Noire. I got almost $150 on a shit ton of really old games I traded in, so I went ahead and preordered Bulletstorm and Homefront through Gamestop, so I wont actually have to pay out of pocket for a game for quite awhile.

cdj
02-21-2011, 12:59 PM
Lol, I canceled mine. This is the first time that I was so pissed off by changes made to a game that I actually wont buy it. I'm immensely disappointed with the direction they decided to take the game, and this is coming from someone who put up nearly 400 hours into Killzone 2.

Wow! I'm surprised....will you pick it up when it gets cheaper? Will you have to relocate from Helghan? :P

I'd like to get Bulletstorm & KZ3, but I think I will wait until they get to $40 or less somewhere. Though, the $20 Amazon credit has been tempting....

I OU a Beatn
02-21-2011, 01:39 PM
Probably not. They changed so much from Killzone 2 and pretty much Call of Duty'd it, so unless they make some really drastic changes with patches, I'm not even going to mess with it. Like the ISA, once you're on Helghan, you're stuck there, so I don't foresee me moving from there anytime soon. :D

skipwondah33
02-21-2011, 02:16 PM
Thats shocking to hear from you IOU, makes me hesistant now lol. I played the demo a bit more over the weekend. I also played Bulletstorm alot this weekend and leaning towards getting that one surprisingly. Its rather addictive

CLW
02-21-2011, 02:19 PM
lol I didn't get it either despite my best efforts to "time" my GameFly returns.

JBHuskers
02-25-2011, 11:00 AM
Some new screens of the new Steel Rain DLC...looks pretty sweet. I haven't played this yet as this week has been busy with either Bulletstorm, plans, or OD's. Plan on starting tonight.

http://www.killzone.com/kz3/en_US/blog/features/2011-02-24_steel-rain_01.html

http://www.killzone.com/kz3/en_US/dms/killzone/mediaspace/screenshots/kz3_ss_2011-02-24_steel-rain_04_ms.jpg

http://www.killzone.com/kz3/en_US/dms/killzone/mediaspace/screenshots/kz3_ss_2011-02-24_steel-rain_05_ms.jpg

http://www.killzone.com/kz3/en_US/dms/killzone/mediaspace/screenshots/kz3_ss_2011-02-24_steel-rain_01_ms.jpg

I OU a Beatn
03-05-2011, 02:42 PM
I hated the beta and I absolutely loathed this game through my first day of playing, but in day 3...it's starting to grow on me. I just have to get it out of my head that this isn't Killzone 2 and I can no longer run around like a chicken with my head cut off and rely on my aim to get me kills, as that simply isn't going to work. I've started slowing down a bit and focusing on cutting off choke points for the opposing team, and I'm actually starting to enjoy it.

I also had a really weird issue with the control settings. I played about 10 games on the Thursday(the first day I had it) and did absolutely terrible. I had set my sensitivities settings to 70%, but it was still really slow. I think after the first day I had a k/d ratio of like .51 because I was running around and simply could not get my gun around quick enough. Day 2 I get on and the same thing happens, so I do a double check on the sensitivity settings and it's at 30%. The hell?

I put it back up to 70% and in about 10-15 games since then, I'm now up to a 1.17 overall and probably average about a 2.0 per game now, so I definitely feel like an idiot for not checking it sooner.

The maps are starting to grow on me, too. Turbine Concourse is an absolutely bad ass map that is right in line with Killzone 2 in terms of quality. I wasn't a fan of Corinth Highway at first, but it's starting to grow on me. I don't like the exoskeletons, but whatever. Frozen Dam, the map from the beta, has also grown on me. Surprisingly, this is probably my 2nd best map in terms of k/d ratio. I put up a 53-25 game earlier with 9,975 points before bonuses, even though we still lost. Salamun Market, the Killzone 2 remake though, is still by far my favorite. I haven't played the other ones enough to really get a feel for them, but I am hoping that they remake some more from Killzone 2. The new ones coming out soon look cool, so we'll see.

I haven't used any class other than the Tactician with the M82. That's all I used in Killzone 2, too, so I doubt I change any time soon. I'm not about to pull the usual bullshit and play Marksmen or Infiltrator, but I may have to try out Medic at some point. I'm also really tempted to try the Engineer so I can get my hands on the STA3. That gun clears out entire rooms if you're crouched and can control the aim.

cdj
03-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Have you tried playing with the Move yet or plan to? I've heard that makes for a pretty good experience, actually. I'm planning on picking this one up eventually and may roll with it that way to get out of the standard shooter mold.

I OU a Beatn
03-05-2011, 05:21 PM
I'm planning on getting the Sharp Shooter tomorrow and giving that a try. I'm definitely not going to try it online. The ability to turn is way too slow using the Move and it isn't going to translate well when it comes to all the close quarter combat that exists in KZ3 online. I'll probably try it during the campaign or some Botzone, though.

From what I've heard/read, it's *the* definitive game to play Move with.

cdj
03-05-2011, 05:23 PM
Awesome, let me know how it is. Don't want a challenge online? :P

I OU a Beatn
03-05-2011, 06:03 PM
Haha, no...I die enough as it is online, I definitely don't need the hindrance of not being able to turn as fast as I want. Of course, that's just based off what I've read so far. If I play with it and I don't have any issues, I have no problem using it online. I've read that it's a LOT easier and quicker to aim with it, so it might balance out pretty well.

I OU a Beatn
03-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Game got a patch last night to address some things, namely increasing the sprint duration. It may be a small addition, but that improved things significantly. That's the one very good thing about Guerrilla Games, they've proven to be awesome at fixing stuff post game with patches. Can't wait to see what other additions they have in store.

JBHuskers
03-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Hopefully I can get some time with it this week, haven't been around, and wanted to wait til I finished Bulletstorm to start the campaign, now that it's done, I am definitely thinking I will get some time with it this week.

I OU a Beatn
03-13-2011, 07:08 PM
I've been playing it a good bit, but nowhere near as much as I did KZ2. With KZ2, I could play 3 or 4 hours at once with no problem whatsoever. Now, I struggle to finish 2 games in one sitting, simply because I'm truly not a fan of a lot of the game design changes that were made. It feels a lot more like other FPS franchises than KZ2 - which was a truly unique shooter.

JBHuskers
03-24-2011, 02:53 PM
From Playstation's Twitter

Chance to win Killzone 3: Limited Helghast Edition by playing Killzone 3 online tomorrow until 4/10: http://bit.ly/dJozvn

I OU a Beatn
03-24-2011, 03:20 PM
I just wish they would fix their damn game. I want to play it so bad, but when I do, I play one game and quit out of disgust.

JBHuskers
03-24-2011, 03:36 PM
I just wish they would fix their damn game. I want to play it so bad, but when I do, I play one game and quit out of disgust.

What's wrong with it? I still haven't played it yet :D #toomanygames

I OU a Beatn
03-24-2011, 03:49 PM
I could give you a 100 point check list of the issues. Basically, it's entirely too much like Call of Duty.

JBHuskers
02-24-2012, 09:14 AM
Multiplayer is going free to play until you get to a certain rank, then you can pay $15. (http://www.killzone.com/kz3/en_US/blog/news/2012-02-24_kz3-multiplayer.html)