PDA

View Full Version : Man Punches 15-Year-Old in the Arm for Not Turning Off iPhone on Flight

psuexv
12-29-2010, 12:59 PM
http://www.slashgear.com/man-punches-15-year-old-in-the-arm-for-not-turning-off-iphone-on-flight-29121825/

Traveling can be a hectic experience for some people. Especially when you’re not in control of those around you, and you have to deal with a bunch of strangers. Crying babies, obnoxious people who don’t know how to share an armrest. So many possibilities that it’s almost a wonder that anyone chooses to travel at all. But, we can’t help but think that a kid, who happens to be playing games on his iPhone while listening to music (with headphones in), is worthy of actually getting angry over. Not to the point of punching him, anyway.

Michael Calcagno, reporting for KBOI-TV, says that a man named Russel Miller grew angry at a 15-year-old boy that was playing with his iPhone. The 15-year-old was wearing headphones at the time, and must not have heard the flight attendants call out that the Southwest flight, heading from Las Vegas, was on their final approach and all powered devices needed to be turned off. When the kid didn’t respond, or turn off his iPhone, Miller grew angry, and confronted him. While the details what words were exchanged are absent, it appears that it boiled down to Miller punching the 15-year-old in the arm. Flight attendants, and other passengers, confirmed the action, and it even left a mark on the boy’s arm.

The pilot was forced to call for local and airport police to wait at the gate. When they landed, Calcagno reports that Miller was taken into custody, and was subsequently charged with one count of misdemeanor battery. He was booked at the Ada County Jail in Idaho.

Anyone think Miller was worried that the plane would crash if the iPhone wasn’t turned off?

JeffHCross
12-29-2010, 03:38 PM
Anyone think Miller was worried that the plane would crash if the iPhone wasn’t turned off?Honestly ... yeah. Either that, or he went into "young whippersnappers" rage. I know it's bothered me a few times when people don't turn off their devices / cell phones / whatever when instructed to, but certainly never to the point of punching.

I would think a simple tap on the shoulder would have sufficed.

psuexv
12-29-2010, 03:47 PM
Honestly ... yeah. Either that, or he went into "young whippersnappers" rage. I know it's bothered me a few times when people don't turn off their devices / cell phones / whatever when instructed to, but certainly never to the point of punching.

I would think a simple tap on the shoulder would have sufficed.

I think it was more of young whippersnappers rage. Kind of like me when I get behind a slow car and I immediately yell "Get off your damn cell phone" like they can hear me.