PDA

View Full Version : EA Sports Active 2

souljahbill
12-26-2010, 06:25 PM
My wife got it for Christmas and we started our own family group. I see 3 people here have it also so I created a group for us also. Hope you all join.

Group: TGTFitClub
Password: TGTFit

JeffHCross
12-26-2010, 09:48 PM
I'll join when I get home from the holidays. Thanks for creating it!

souljahbill
12-27-2010, 07:33 AM
Today is my off day (My workout days are Sunday/Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday) but I decided that I'm going to do light/easy workouts on my off days to get something in without it effecting my recovery from the hard workouts I do on my scheduled days.

CLW
12-27-2010, 09:13 AM
I've wondered about this thing for some time now.

#1 Does it work?

#2 Is it "fun"?

JBHuskers
12-27-2010, 10:03 AM
I've wondered about this thing for some time now.

#1 Does it work?

#2 Is it "fun"?

I think it's fun. You're not going to burn off a ton of calories but you get a good workout.

JeffHCross
12-28-2010, 10:48 PM
I enjoy it simply because of the variety. And I disagree with JB that you're not going to lose a ton ... it depends on what the alternative is. If you're normally a weight-lifter ... this probably isn't going to be enough of a workout for you. But if you normally do cardio, I think EA Active is very good. I know the first day I did cardio in the game, I was feeling it for over 24 hours.

Rudy
12-29-2010, 06:18 AM
Is #2 a big improvement over the first one?

JeffHCross
12-29-2010, 03:42 PM
It's a fair improvement, though if you have a Wii and the first one, I don't think it's necessary to get #2.

souljahbill
12-29-2010, 07:47 PM
Is #2 a big improvement over the first one?

It's a fair improvement, though if you have a Wii and the first one, I don't think it's necessary to get #2.

My wife has the EA Sports Active and EA Sports Active: More Workouts (both on the Wii) and she said EA Sports 2 for the PS3 is by far and away the best version. She hated the nunchuck strap on the leg, the flimsy motion detection at times (doing exercises that weren't getting recognized), and having to hold a Wii remote AND a dumbbell/resistance band in one hand. She likes the online feature (she's always comparing our workouts) and is excited about DLC being added instead of having to buy a whole new game like she would have to do on the Wii.

Side note: My glutes and hamstrings are really sore today from, I'm assuming, soccer goalkeeper (lunges). Workout #3 is tomorrow morning.

JeffHCross
12-29-2010, 08:11 PM
Ah, good point. I was only thinking about the content differences, not the actual hardware differences. Thanks!

Rudy
12-30-2010, 06:38 AM
Man, I never even knew they made EA Active 2 for the PS3. Is there a demo for it? How does it track your movements?

JBHuskers
12-30-2010, 09:50 AM
Man, I never even knew they made EA Active 2 for the PS3. Is there a demo for it? How does it track your movements?

Not sure on a demo.

Tracks your movements by a dongle, two armbands and a leg band.

Rudy
12-30-2010, 10:42 AM
Just saw a demo. Didn't realize you had to strap on things to your arms so that makes a demo pretty much impossible. Not sure if I want to invest in this thing as the wife hasn't really gotten that much use out of the first one on the Wii.

JeffHCross
12-30-2010, 01:51 PM
Yeah, a demo would be utterly impossible :)

JBHuskers
12-30-2010, 02:19 PM
Yeah, a demo would be utterly impossible :)

Not really...you could still do the exercises, it just wouldn't be tracking your moves, how many calories you've burned, etc.

JeffHCross
12-30-2010, 04:19 PM
You can't do any of the exercises without it tracking your movements. So they'd somehow have to turn that off ... I'd say that's practically impossible.

JBHuskers
12-30-2010, 04:29 PM
You can't do any of the exercises without it tracking your movements. So they'd somehow have to turn that off ... I'd say that's practically impossible.

If it is doing reps timed automatically without tracking your movements...I would say it's less than impossible :D

JeffHCross
12-30-2010, 04:37 PM
If it is doing reps timed automatically without tracking your movements...I would say it's less than impossible :DI presume you mean "if they re-coded it to do reps timed automatically" ... and that's a big amount of effort for just a demo. So, practically impossible ;)

souljahbill
12-31-2010, 01:37 PM
Just saw a demo. Didn't realize you had to strap on things to your arms so that makes a demo pretty much impossible. Not sure if I want to invest in this thing as the wife hasn't really gotten that much use out of the first one on the Wii.

It's a lot better on the PS3. Having your hands free for weights/bands is a bigger deal then it sounds. The movements are also tracked a whole lot better. I remember trying More Workouts (the 2nd one on Wii) and stopped after 1 workout because I was doing what the game instructed but it wasn't recognizing the movement of the nun-chuck. I didn't want to put up with that for another 5 1/2 weeks so it ended before it even really started.

I literally just finished my 4th workout and I was sweating like crazy. If you're interested in getting it, I'd make that recommendation.

gschwendt
01-01-2011, 11:33 AM
For anyone thinking about picking this up, Newegg has it for $50 plus free shipping (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879200802&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3705318&SID=skim1043X499650).

souljahbill
01-01-2011, 09:44 PM
Also, for those of you who have it, I'm kicking your butts because.........................I'm still the only one in the TGTFitclub.

JeffHCross
01-01-2011, 10:36 PM
Yeah, I still haven't loaded it up since I got back from the holidays. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the incentive.

Rudy
01-02-2011, 07:25 AM
Amazon has it for $47.99 for the PS3 right now: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003O6FYDK/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

souljahbill
01-02-2011, 08:43 AM
I have a workout scheduled for today but I'm TOTALLY not in the mood. Gonna play through it though as tomorrow is a rest day.

JeffHCross
01-02-2011, 02:04 PM
Here is OS's review of EA Active 2 for the 360. Note that the 360 version can use the Kinect while the PS3 cannot utilize Move.

http://www.operationsports.com/reviews/578/ea-sports-active-2/

Overall score was 7.5. While I disagree with the score, the review itself was good.

souljahbill
01-02-2011, 06:00 PM
Here is OS's review of EA Active 2 for the 360. Note that the 360 version can use the Kinect while the PS3 cannot utilize Move.

http://www.operationsports.com/reviews/578/ea-sports-active-2/

Overall score was 7.5. While I disagree with the score, the review itself was good.

I saw the Kinect version behind closed doors at E3 and it looked kinda janky back then. It was having trouble picking up movements on the floor (like push-ups) and it wasn't as 1-to-1 as people would think. I thought it was still better then the Wii version (where you must always hold a Wii remote) but I could tell early on that the PS3 version would be the best version, thus the reason I got for the PS3.

And you were right in your comments, the warm-up is not sufficient at all.

Rudy
01-07-2011, 05:51 AM
Picked this up last night for the wife. She's going to get a workout in today so I'll have some impressions later.

souljahbill
01-07-2011, 08:29 AM
Picked this up last night for the wife. She's going to get a workout in today so I'll have some impressions later.

Yesterday's workout kicked my butt. I was exhausted yet still felt like I could've gone harder. It's weird but I think I'm really starting to get into shape again.

Oh, and she's welcome to join the TGTFitClub (especially since I'm STILL the only one in it). Check the 1st post of the thread.

Rudy
01-07-2011, 04:09 PM
Steph got her first work out in and really liked it. She said the sensors worked great - better than the Wii (EA Active 1 anyway). She really liked not having to hold a joystick while using the resistance band and stuff. I will tell her about the TGTFitClub although I make no promises. :)

souljahbill
01-07-2011, 08:25 PM
Steph got her first work out in and really liked it. She said the sensors worked great - better than the Wii (EA Active 1 anyway). She really liked not having to hold a joystick while using the resistance band and stuff. I will tell her about the TGTFitClub although I make no promises. :)

She said the EXACT same thing my wife said. Hands free is the way to go. It's a hard workout too. In fact, I unfortunately have to do a workout the next 2 days that I'm not looking forward to.

Kingpin32
01-07-2011, 10:48 PM
So does resistance bands come with it? Or is that an extra thing we have to buy?

JeffHCross
01-07-2011, 11:36 PM
A single large resistance band comes with it. It seems pretty decent. I've heard of the original band (for EA Active 1) breaking, but not the new band. I definitely put it to the test in one of my workouts and didn't really feel any give.

That said, if I start getting serious about my workouts, I'm considering getting another band from Dick's. There are a few things about the packaged band that I'm not accustomed to.

Rudy
01-08-2011, 06:27 AM
Well Steph signed up for the TGTFitclub although her first workout doesn't count towards the group because she signed up afterwards. She's doing the 3 week program right now to get a feel for the thing. Next workout day is Monday so you can help me get on her ass if she misses. :)

souljahbill
01-08-2011, 08:36 AM
A single large resistance band comes with it. It seems pretty decent. I've heard of the original band (for EA Active 1) breaking, but not the new band. I definitely put it to the test in one of my workouts and didn't really feel any give.

That said, if I start getting serious about my workouts, I'm considering getting another band from Dick's. There are a few things about the packaged band that I'm not accustomed to.

Because your hands are free, I'd recommend dumbells over the band. I've been using 8 lbs. and my wife uses 5 lbs. (3 lbs. for lateral shoulder raises). I'm sure the weights work much better.

Well Steph signed up for the TGTFitclub although her first workout doesn't count towards the group because she signed up afterwards. She's doing the 3 week program right now to get a feel for the thing. Next workout day is Monday so you can help me get on her ass if she misses. :)

My first workout and my wife's first workout didn't count either. We're both doing a 9 week program though. She's doing the cooldown right now as I type this (I can hear it). She complained the entire time (I hate mountain climbers! Please no reverse crunches! How many times do I have to do skipping? LMAO!)

JeffHCross
01-08-2011, 10:27 AM
The only free weights I have right now are 12 lbs, and I'm not sure I want to buy another set of weights that'll just sit around my apt for the majority of the time. But I'll think about it, good suggestion.

JBHuskers
01-08-2011, 12:31 PM
Yeah I got myself some free weights to replace the bands too. I got 8lb. ones as well.

gschwendt
01-24-2011, 07:57 PM
souljahbill, you are no longer the only member of TGTFitClub... I've joined tonight starting my first work out. I'm pitifully out of shape.

JBHuskers
01-24-2011, 09:29 PM
souljahbill, you are no longer the only member of TGTFitClub... I've joined tonight starting my first work out. I'm pitifully out of shape.

Pretty good cardio isn't it?

gschwendt
01-24-2011, 11:34 PM
Pretty good cardio isn't it?
Not bad... plus I think it's something that I can easily keep up with and actually put to good use. I had some issues with the leg band, not sure if it's because I had it in the wrong spot (outside of leg instead of middle) or because I synced it without having it on my leg to begin with. The problem was that it wouldn't recognize squats or reverse crunches so I ended up just skipping those.

cdj
01-25-2011, 12:31 AM
I need to get back on the wagon here. Fell off once my schedule went haywire around the holidays. Once I do, I'll join the group. Should be fun to track.

souljahbill
01-25-2011, 02:11 PM

I noticed. I got an email when you joined. I procrastinated today so it's gonna be a late workout day for me.

gschwendt
01-25-2011, 02:28 PM
I noticed.
Some workout buddy you are... I mention that I'm out of shape and instead of words of encouragement, all you can say is "I noticed." :mad:

souljahbill
01-28-2011, 12:19 PM
Some workout buddy you are... I mention that I'm out of shape and instead of words of encouragement, all you can say is "I noticed." :mad:

Time to get back on that horse. I see you've only done 1 workout. Not good enough. Let's go! Time to get active! *starts Foot Fires*

gschwendt
01-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Time to get back on that horse. I see you've only done 1 workout. Not good enough. Let's go! Time to get active! *starts Foot Fires*
Yeah... I was in poor enough shape and combined with the fact that in my many many attempts at squats, I burned my legs up. I plan to put in a workout tonight and then get back on the horse full steam next week.

souljahbill
01-28-2011, 11:22 PM
Yeah... I was in poor enough shape and combined with the fact that in my many many attempts at squats, I burned my legs up. I plan to put in a workout tonight and then get back on the horse full steam next week.

Today's workout (Medium workout #19 in the 9 week challenge) KILLED my arms. Crazy stuff like Split Squats with One Armed Overhead Tricep Extension and this one section that was Straight Arm Planks --> Pushups --> Mountain Climbers. My arms were tired after the planks, exhausted after the pushups, and complete Jell-o after mountain climbers.

JeffHCross
01-29-2011, 11:39 AM
Not bad... plus I think it's something that I can easily keep up with and actually put to good use. I had some issues with the leg band, not sure if it's because I had it in the wrong spot (outside of leg instead of middle) or because I synced it without having it on my leg to begin with. The problem was that it wouldn't recognize squats or reverse crunches so I ended up just skipping those.Did it recognize running? I had that happen one time, and I realized afterward that it may have been because I was using the Blu-ray remote to go through the menus, and that both the Blu-ray remote and the leg band may be "Controller 7".