PDA

View Full Version : Top __ Games of 2010

JBHuskers
12-17-2010, 02:14 PM
What's your list?

Here's a good list from Complex - http://www.complex.com/blog_galleries/25-best-video-games-of-2010

gschwendt
12-17-2010, 02:27 PM
I still need to play Mass Effect 2... I bought it back in March for cheap and still haven't installed it (PC). I never played the first one so that's part of what is holding me back I suppose.

JBHuskers
12-17-2010, 02:28 PM
My top 10 I've played for 2010:

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Fallout: New Vegas
3. NCAA Football 11
4. NBA 2K11
5. Limbo
6. EA SPORTS MMA
7. Pac Man Championship Edition DX
8. Gran Turismo 5
9. Plants vs. Zombies
10. Super Meat Boy

Top games I own or want to own that I haven't played yet (as I have too many games still in the wrapper):

1. Mass Effect 2 (still trying to beat 1)
2. Battlefield Bad Company 2 (have had it forever, but still never gotten around to it)
3. Enslaved (keep hearing great things about it, got it cheap on Amazon)
4. DJ Hero 2 (enjoying the first one, hear the 2nd improves on the first)
5. Dead Nation (lots of rave about it....I may pull the trigger this weekend since it's $12 on PSN for PS+)

steelerfan
12-18-2010, 12:57 PM
1. Red Dead Redemption
2. NHL 11
3. NCAA 11
10. Madden 11

That's my Top 10. There's no 4 through 9 because I only got 4 games this year.

JeffHCross
12-18-2010, 01:17 PM
1. Heavy Rain
2. Heavy Rain
3. Heavy Rain
4. Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time
5. NCAA 11
6. Mod Nation Racers
7. Transformers: War for Cybertron
8. Scott Pilgrim vs The World

cdj
12-18-2010, 07:26 PM
Top Sports Games

1. NBA 2K11 - Total package. Biggest issues are with animations and player models. Presentation is top-notch.
2. NCAA Football 11 - Most improved, can get huge boost by increasing Dynasty (& OD) immersion and presentation.
3. NBA JAM - Lots of fun and captures the feel of the original. Not a fan of difficulty for some unlockables.
4. EA SPORTS MMA - Great feature set all-around. Fun game, despite Fedor-overkill online in HW division.
5. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 - Always a fun game, but single player (career) needs overhaul. Online league would be dynamite.
6. Madden NFL 11 - Gameplay very fun, solid feature set but lack of fun Franchise mode is killer. Most enjoyable Madden in years in spite of.
7. NBA ELITE 11 Demo :P - Would have liked to see this in retail with known demo bugs removed (as stated). Gameplay was rough (as expected), but seemed like it had great feature set (EASBA, Become Legendary).
8. BackBreaker - Some nice elements, but just couldn't get into it. Along with NBA ELITE 11 proved that 'physics engine' is not the end-all, far from it.

Played NHL 11, FIFA 11, UFC Undisputed 2011 but not enough to fairly rank them. Didn't play FIFA World Cup 2010, WWE: SmackDown vs. RAW 2011, or MLB 10: The Show.
Not sure what else I may be forgetting.

souljahbill
12-26-2010, 10:19 AM
5. Trauma Team
4. Kirby's Epic Yarn
3. NCAA Football 11
2. Heavy Rain
1. God of War III

Honarable mentions: Uncharted 2, Assassin's Creed, and DJ Hero (games released in previous years that I never played before 2010), NBA Jam (PS3), Wii Party, Need for Speed Most Wanted, No More Heroes 2

jaymo76
12-26-2010, 02:41 PM
My list best on personal pref

1. NHL 11
2. NCAA 11
3. CITIES xl 2011 (PC... okay I admit it, I'm a city building guy...)
4. MOD RACERS
5. MADDEN 11

JBHuskers
12-27-2010, 10:34 AM
Chris Kohler @ Wired Mag posts his top 20 of the year - http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/12/20-best-games-2010/?pid=783&viewall=true

skipwondah33
12-27-2010, 10:50 AM
1. God of War III
2. NBA 2K11 (even though I don't play it much and I agree with CDJ on those two issues)
3. Madden 11 (has its issues but I love the improvements over years past)
4. Heavy Rain (I just need to buy the damn game for myself, haven't played it on my system)
5. NCAA 11 (Much improved but things I still dislike with it.)

Rudy
12-28-2010, 06:27 AM
They had the transformers game on sale for $10 somewhere on a Boxing day sale (Boxing day is the day after Christmas in Canada). Maybe I should have picked it up.

I don't buy that many games but I have got a lot of fun out of NCAA 11.

NCAA 11 - a real nice improvement over NCAA 10 which I didn't like at all. Headed in the right direction and anytime you play over 100 games I think it's safe to call it a success.

Toy Story 3 - this is a really good game. The story levels are fun but nothing overly special. It's the Toybox mode which is open world with missions and collectables that will suck hours of time from you and be a lot of fun. Real sleeper hit imo.

God of War III - just not my genre really. Never cared for LOTR and I don't think I'll be able to finish this game. Just don't care.

James Bond Blood Stone - basic 3rd person shooter with some cool driving scenes and Daniel Craig. Worth a pickup on sale. About 1/3 the way through and am enjoying it. You must play on the hardest difficulty as it is easy. The smart phone and file management system in the game are weak.

MLB 2K10 - fun but flawed. This game is hard to rate because I don't think I've ever played a game this flawed but still enjoyed it as much as I did. Analog controls forced the Show's hand. Have high hopes for 2K11.

MLB Show 10 - passed. Game has gotten stale despite it's realism and ability to mimic real baseball. New analog controls for Show 11 will be a great addition to a game that has changed very little in terms of gameplay for 5 years. I couldn't even complete a single game of the Show 10 demo without feeling the stale feeling and seeing some of the same issues I don't care for still in the game 5 years later.

PSN Lara Croft - Guardian of Light - a simple but fun adventure and puzzle game. Well worth $15.

Wii - Super Mario Galaxy 2 was a nice improvement over SMG 1 but the fun factor tends to wane over time. Kids and wife never finished either game. The 3D style combined with the less user friendly nunchuck controls make this game a good but not great one.

Donkey Kong Country Returns - kids just got this for Christmas but Carter has made it to world four with the help of the super guide. Very unique levels and a good combination of bad guys and characters. Biggest complaint is the excessive difficulty at times. This is made easier by the fact you can buy extra lives at a store (world 3 has one) by selling banana coins for extra lives. This will come in handy. The fact you can sustain more than one hit in a level and continue is a good idea compared to Mario.

I never tried Red Dead Redemption because GTA IV bored me to tears after just putting it in my console. That type of game is so dead to me right now. Heavy Rain did seem cool but I didn't even bother to finish the demo so I haven't bothered with it.

JBHuskers
12-28-2010, 08:19 AM
I never tried Red Dead Redemption because GTA IV bored me to tears after just putting it in my console. That type of game is so dead to me right now. Heavy Rain did seem cool but I didn't even bother to finish the demo so I haven't bothered with it.

That's what made RDR #1 for me this year. It wasn't boring like GTA IV was. I actually want to go back and replay this, as I want to get the platinum, but need to start over to do so with the YLOD.

Rudy
12-28-2010, 08:25 AM
The baseball game demos should be out in late February and the baseball games themselves the first week of March. James Bond and NCAA 11 will carry me over until then. From there it's pretty much nothing but baseball until NCAA 12. I'll have to find room for UC3 and inFamous 2 late in 2011. I have high hopes for UC 3 but my expectations for inFamous 2 are on the low side right now. I hope it's less repetitive with some cool new features. I spent a lot of time on the first one and the second one will need to be fresh to keep me interested.

I actually hope they cut down on the number of neutral side missions to make the game faster and make playing it a second time more interesting. There were close to 40 main missions and I believe at least 75 neutral side missions with only 15 karma specific missions. I think 40 main missions with 25 neutral and 25 karma specific missions are plenty.

I OU a Beatn
12-28-2010, 09:42 AM
1. Halo Reach. Just the ultimate first person shooter package. A great, thrilling, and just pure awesome campaign. A firefight mode that is fun. A balanced, addicting, and fun multiplayer. Add all that plus a ton of customization and the ability to easily record gameplay. Game of the Year for me easily.
2. Alan Wake. Probably the scariest game I've ever played.
3. God of War III. The graphics are top notch and the story...as always...is just awesome.
4. Red Dead Redemption. It's a really, really fun game but the flaws hold it back from being higher.
5. Mass Effect 2. Improved over ME1 in every possible way and is probably the 360's equivalent to Uncharted 2.
6. Fable III. Once again, an improvement over the 2nd game in virtually every way. I haven't finished it yet, but it's easily the most fun RPG I've ever played.
7. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. The series is awesome and this game is no different. Probably the best in the series.
8. Bad Company 2. Great campaign and a great multiplayer component. Absolutely fun as hell and yes, better than Call of Duty.
9. Heavy Rain. Not really a game, IMO, but a great "experience."
10. Dead Rising 2. Pure fun.

1. Dead Nation
2. Limbo
3. Comic Jumper
4. Lara Croft: Guardian of Light
5. Pinball FX2
6. Super Meat Boy
7. Blacklight: Tango Down
8. ilomilo
9. Dead Rising: Case Zero
10. Deathspank

jaymo76
12-28-2010, 03:03 PM
They had the transformers game on sale for $10 somewhere on a Boxing day sale (Boxing day is the day after Christmas in Canada). Maybe I should have picked it up.

I don't buy that many games but I have got a lot of fun out of NCAA 11.

NCAA 11 - a real nice improvement over NCAA 10 which I didn't like at all. Headed in the right direction and anytime you play over 100 games I think it's safe to call it a success.

Toy Story 3 - this is a really good game. The story levels are fun but nothing overly special. It's the Toybox mode which is open world with missions and collectables that will suck hours of time from you and be a lot of fun. Real sleeper hit imo.

God of War III - just not my genre really. Never cared for LOTR and I don't think I'll be able to finish this game. Just don't care.

James Bond Blood Stone - basic 3rd person shooter with some cool driving scenes and Daniel Craig. Worth a pickup on sale. About 1/3 the way through and am enjoying it. You must play on the hardest difficulty as it is easy. The smart phone and file management system in the game are weak.

MLB 2K10 - fun but flawed. This game is hard to rate because I don't think I've ever played a game this flawed but still enjoyed it as much as I did. Analog controls forced the Show's hand. Have high hopes for 2K11.

MLB Show 10 - passed. Game has gotten stale despite it's realism and ability to mimic real baseball. New analog controls for Show 11 will be a great addition to a game that has changed very little in terms of gameplay for 5 years. I couldn't even complete a single game of the Show 10 demo without feeling the stale feeling and seeing some of the same issues I don't care for still in the game 5 years later.

PSN Lara Croft - Guardian of Light - a simple but fun adventure and puzzle game. Well worth $15.

Wii - Super Mario Galaxy 2 was a nice improvement over SMG 1 but the fun factor tends to wane over time. Kids and wife never finished either game. The 3D style combined with the less user friendly nunchuck controls make this game a good but not great one.

Donkey Kong Country Returns - kids just got this for Christmas but Carter has made it to world four with the help of the super guide. Very unique levels and a good combination of bad guys and characters. Biggest complaint is the excessive difficulty at times. This is made easier by the fact you can buy extra lives at a store (world 3 has one) by selling banana coins for extra lives. This will come in handy. The fact you can sustain more than one hit in a level and continue is a good idea compared to Mario.

Kudos on the Doneky Kong... I picked it up for my wife for Christmas. She totally loves the game!

JBHuskers
12-28-2010, 03:11 PM
Kudos on the Doneky Kong... I picked it up for my wife for Christmas. She totally loves the game!

Does she yell IT'S ON LIKE DONKEY KONG when she plays?

Rudy
12-28-2010, 03:53 PM
She can't. She's afraid of Nintendo suing her for copyright infringement.
;)

Iron Dragon
12-28-2010, 03:55 PM
No real order:
1. Gran Turismo 5 - There's just so much to do, and the online play is great.
2. NCAA Football 11 - Improvement over '10, hopefully '12 improves more.
3. NBA 2k11 (do not own, but have played) - There's not much you can say that's wrong with this game.
4. Call of Duty: Black Ops - This game seems to be fun for a few days, then get boring, then fun again, then boring. Improved on some of MW2's flaws.
5. Heavy Rain (do not own) - Solid game.

morsdraconis
12-28-2010, 05:33 PM
#1 - Heavy Rain - My god what a game; There's really just nothing else to say about it that hasn't already been said.
#2 - NBA 2k11 - Never has a basketball game been so addictive for me; Especially a NBA Basketball game.
#3 - Valkyria Chronicles - What an excellent melding of Turn-based Strategy, Real-time Strategy, RPG, and Military Warfare. I haven't gotten a chance to finish playing it yet, but damn is it fun to play and REALLY has itched my nostalgia for Shinning Force.
#4 - Deadly Premonition - If you haven't played it, you MUST play it and trudge through the beginning of the game. Never has a game been so entertaining while utterly hating the combat in it.
#5 - NCAA Football 11 - A HUGE improvement over '10, but still a very flawed football simulation; Can only hope that they continue to make leaps and bounds toward perfection.

JBHuskers
12-28-2010, 05:34 PM
#1 - Heavy Rain - My god what a game; There's really just nothing else to say about it that hasn't already been said.
#2 - NBA 2k11 - Never has a basketball game been so addictive for me; Especially a NBA Basketball game.
#3 - Valkyria Chronicles - What an excellent melding of Turn-based Strategy, Real-time Strategy, RPG, and Military Warfare. I haven't gotten a chance to finish playing it yet, but damn is it fun to play and REALLY has itched my nostalgia for Shinning Force.
#4 - Deadly Premonition - If you haven't played it, you MUST play it and trudge through the beginning of the game. Never has a game been so entertaining while utterly hating the combat in it.
#5 - NCAA Football 11 - A HUGE improvement over '10, but still a very flawed football simulation; Can only hope that they continue to make leaps and bounds toward perfection.

Agree 110%

I OU a Beatn
12-28-2010, 05:40 PM
I wasn't so impressed with NBA 2k11. Movements are way too slow for me.

skipwondah33
12-29-2010, 10:32 AM
I know I still haven't gotten use to it. My thumbs hurt after I play everytime

JeffHCross
12-29-2010, 08:16 PM
Insomniac Games' Top Games of 2010: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/12/29/insomniacs-favorite-games-of-2010

Interesting list.