PDA

View Full Version : DC Universe Online (PS4; PS3, PC)

cdj
12-14-2010, 03:19 PM
PS3 Gamers....want a beta code? (PS+ members will get one free as well.)

Just sign in or sign up at gamespot.com (http://www.gamespot.com/event/codes/dc-universe-ps3-beta/?tag=topslot;thumb;3)!

cdj
12-14-2010, 03:49 PM
Once you DL the initial file, there is a 118 MB update and then in-game, it downloads a huge file that on my connection will take about 10 hours. Even on faster connections, that's still an overnight download.

Violator
12-14-2010, 06:47 PM
Nope. that offer is done and over with. i got one today from ps but dont know how much time i will be on it for

JBHuskers
12-15-2010, 09:21 AM
I was going to download the HUGE update overnight, but fell asleep early and forgot to. Even with my decently fast connection it was going to take five hours.

cdj
12-15-2010, 10:54 AM
It looks like it saves the file if you exit out of the download. Despite leaving it on overnight, it looks like it will take a couple nights for me to DL it. :(

I OU a Beatn
12-15-2010, 03:12 PM
Jesus. Screw that, then. :D

cdj
12-15-2010, 03:16 PM
You probably have a faster connection than I do. While I have DSL, I'm just on the edge of even being capable of having it. It seems like most people it takes several hours, which isn't too bad if they leave it on for an evening or overnight.

Violator
12-16-2010, 04:16 PM
Several hours to download to have a beta seems a bit ridiculous to me. I wont be doing it just due to the sheer amount of crap i have going on. Most likely I will be not playing any online for about a month. Ill be happy if i get 10 hours of gaming in the next month!

Marlowe
12-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Several hours to download to have a beta seems a bit ridiculous to me. I wont be doing it just due to the sheer amount of crap i have going on. Most likely I will be not playing any online for about a month. Ill be happy if i get 10 hours of gaming in the next month!

ok you twisted my arm...I'll take one for the team and play for you. :dunno:

JBHuskers
12-17-2010, 08:25 AM
Played through about 30 mins or so last night. The superhero/villain creation is pretty cool, I felt like I had made a unique character. The only snag is you have to pick a name that no one has come up with (as with most MMOs). It only took me two tries to do that.

There are a lot of combat styles you can choose from. I have my "mentor" as Batman, and so most of my skill set is based off of him; however, my weapon style is a duel wield so the combat is pretty similar to God of War. I've leveled up to 2, and just gone through basic missions right now. Not sure if a monthly fee will justify a buy quite yet. Then again bein in the beta, I may not really have a need to get the game once it comes out.

JBHuskers
12-17-2010, 08:34 AM
One more thing when you got to load into the universe, don't be discouraged by the "wait time". When I first got in it said I was around 200th in line and the estimated wait was 14 hours to get in and play. In actuality, it took about three minutes to get through that queue and into a game, and this was a 6:30 PM.

JeffHCross
12-18-2010, 12:58 PM
Keep in mind, gents, most NDA say you're not allowed to disclose that you're in the beta ...

Of course, PSN will probably disclose it for you ...

JBHuskers
12-18-2010, 01:39 PM
Keep in mind, gents, most NDA say you're not allowed to disclose that you're in the beta ...

Of course, PSN will probably disclose it for you ...

Yeah considering a) the PS+ logo is next to my name b) it says I'm playing it.....I'd say this is a pretty public thing.

JeffHCross
12-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Yeah considering a) the PS+ logo is next to my name b) it says I'm playing it.....I'd say this is a pretty public thing.Just saying. ;)

cdj
12-18-2010, 04:55 PM
They probably want as much free press and hype as possible if they expect people to pay $15 as part of a subscription for it. I like the game, but not enough to pay $15 a month. Now, if new copies got 3-6 months free at the start, I'd probably reconsider.

cdj
12-21-2010, 12:17 PM
Even after PS+ downloaded a patch/update to this last night, on start-up now it has to download another 3 GB file. :smh:

From Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/21/dc-universe-online-enlisting-recruits-jan-11-in-na-jan-14-in/):

Since being pushed to an amorphous "spring 2011" release window back in October, DC Universe Online has been given a solid launch date once and for all: January 11 in North America and January 14 in the UK. Sony Online Entertainment confirmed the dates in an interview with IGN, also announcing the game's $199 lifetime subscription price (a bit over 13 months worth of sub. fees). "We're going to be here for far more than a single year. We've got a lot of universe to build, and we're not going to stop anytime soon," game director Chris Cao said of the lifetime subscription pricing.

Cao also detailed an end-of-the-world event that will take place within DCUO before it launches in January. "Jim Lee and our friends at DC are going to join us in a live, end-of-beta event where players will fight alongside and against the iconics as Brainiac's menace yet looms," he explained, adding, "It will be an epic end and thank you for beta. And it will set the stage for the real struggle to come in live."

Another struggle to come alongside the game's launch? How to get players to choose another mentor -- as expected, Superman was the favorite "by far."

JBHuskers
12-21-2010, 12:37 PM
I just don't see this taking off, but maybe I'm wrong.

But $60 + $15 for WoW on a console would be expected.....

Something brand new however, I just don't see it taking off. Especially when APB got the death smack after people spent money on in-game stuff and couldn't get a refund. Or could on credits for some other stupid game. It just makes me not want to trust a new MMO.

The stuff in the beta is fun and everything, but it just doesn't overly wow me to the point where I HAVE to keep playing so far in this beta. Definitely not for a $60 tag with $15 per month after the first 30 days.

JeffHCross
12-21-2010, 08:56 PM
Something tells me you guys aren't in the 'target audience'. Since you're balking at some of the basic tenants of MMOs. Personally, I'd rather play DCUO on my PS3 than on the PC, so it's still holding my interest.

JBHuskers
12-22-2010, 08:18 AM
Something tells me you guys aren't in the 'target audience'. Since you're balking at some of the basic tenants of MMOs. Personally, I'd rather play DCUO on my PS3 than on the PC, so it's still holding my interest.

Another thing is it would help if I could actually read the text :D

JBHuskers
12-22-2010, 10:15 AM
DC Universe Online is not going to take off on the PS3 if it is only ranked at 64 in Amazon PS3 game sales less than 3 weeks to release.

JeffHCross
12-23-2010, 03:07 PM
DC Universe Online is not going to take off on the PS3 if it is only ranked at 64 in Amazon PS3 game sales less than 3 weeks to release.Looking at any sales chart around Christmas time is probably misleading at best.

Marlowe
01-05-2011, 07:50 PM
so you guys playing the beta...is this worth a purchase?

JBHuskers
01-06-2011, 08:28 AM
so you guys playing the beta...is this worth a purchase?

It's a really cool game, just not $60+$15/month cool.

JeffHCross
01-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Marlowe, nobody who was in the beta can talk about it.

It's a really cool game, just not $60+$15/month cool.Depends what you're into. I would guess you would classify almost all the MMOs as "not $60+$15/month cool". Me, I'm a bit of an MMO guy, so I'll probably pick it up, just not initially. Too many other games on my plate and releasing in January.

Marlowe
01-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Marlowe, nobody who was in the beta can talk about it.

Yeah I figured there's was an NDA of some sort. I was wondering if anyone was picking it up from TGT on release.

Marlowe
01-14-2011, 08:36 AM
Went ahead and picked this up on release. Enjoying the fast pace of the combat system. Decided to roll a toon on a PvP server to see what open world PvP was like. So far the ganking hasn't been too bad. Some of the quest locations make it so that there inevitably will be some confrontations. Overall I'm enjoying the game though I'm not sure how much stuff there will be to do once I hit the level cap.

JBHuskers
01-21-2011, 09:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_Gp2dEm-NQ

JeffHCross
01-21-2011, 10:12 PM
Overall I'm enjoying the game though I'm not sure how much stuff there will be to do once I hit the level cap.I did hear from a friend that DCUO is designed much more for the level cap than it is for the grind. He pays a lot more attention to MMO news than I do, so I'm going to trust him on that. Sounds like there was quite a bit of end game content.

cdj
02-04-2011, 10:06 AM
In appreciation of you pioneers we are going to be offering the chance to lock in an extraordinary promotional rate of only $29.99 for the 3-month DC Universe Online Legend Plan. That’s over 25% OFF the regular 3-month subscription plan price of $41.99! You’ll even be able to keep that rate for as long as you are actively subscribed and watch the savings pile up! You really won’t want to miss out on this great opportunity! The new rate will be available on February 8th so look out for it!

Link (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/02/04/legendary-dc-universe-online-offer-coming-february-8/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=dcuo_020411)

JBHuskers
02-04-2011, 10:36 AM
Tempting.

JBHuskers
02-04-2011, 05:12 PM
Bah, the promotion ends March 1st...

JeffHCross
02-04-2011, 09:15 PM
Not offering a 14-day trial on the PS3 is really disappointing. The PC version gets it, and every other MMO has it to the point that it's an expectation. Silly not to do it on PS3.

JBHuskers
02-05-2011, 02:16 AM
Not offering a 14-day trial on the PS3 is really disappointing. The PC version gets it, and every other MMO has it to the point that it's an expectation. Silly not to do it on PS3.

As far as I know, there is a 30-day trial for PS3.

JeffHCross
02-05-2011, 10:23 AM
As far as I know, there is a 30-day trial for PS3.Not exactly.

For the PS3, you fork over the $60 for the game, then you get a 30-day "trial" before having to pay $15 a month.
For the PC ... apparently it's the same. I was told there was a free trial, but I can't find any sign of it.

For practically any other MMO in existence, you can download the software and play for 10-30 days without paying a cent. It's a demo, basically.

cdj
02-14-2011, 10:45 PM
From Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/14/ps3-copies-of-dc-universe-online-tied-to-one-time-use-codes/):

If you bought DC Universe Online on PS3 and decided not to commit to it for the usual MMO lifespan of forever, you won't be able to recoup your losses by trading it in. At least, you shouldn't trade it in, even if you find a store who will accept it, or you risk being a super-jerk. Sony Online Entertainment confirmed to Lazygamer that the serial key included with retail copies of the game is a one-time-use thing, and each disc only includes access for one account. That means that the first person to use a copy of DCUO is the only person who can use that copy.

This kind of restriction isn't exactly new to consoles, with trade-ins of every iteration of Phantasy Star Online refused by retailers due to the unique codes tied to each disc. But it's not common -- mostly because MMO-type games on consoles are so uncommon.

JeffHCross
02-14-2011, 10:59 PM
Not too stunning, but at the same time, I'm kind of surprised.

JBHuskers
02-15-2011, 12:26 AM
Glad I held off...now I will wait til it's $15 AND they lower the rate.

JeffHCross
02-15-2011, 08:53 PM
AND they lower the rate.Good luck with that. $15/month is the norm for any MMO, and since they're also on the PC, I don't forsee that changing.

JBHuskers
02-16-2011, 11:50 PM
Then I probably won't get it :D we'll see.

cdj
02-22-2011, 01:15 PM
A new update is out:

CHARACTER OF THE MONTH: CATWOMAN

Catwoman Episode: Race across the rooftops of Gotham City as Catwoman tries to rob the Gotham Museum. In the storage vault, she unearths ancient Egyptian cat artifacts, turning security guards and innocent bystanders into lions, tigers, cheetahs and more. This episode features five boss battles, countless cats, and culminates in Catwoman themed cut scene.
Legends PvP: Catwoman is now a playable character in Legends "Play as Iconic" PvP mode
Multiplayer Race: Chase Catwoman across the rooftops of Gotham City with friends
A New Suit of Armor: Collect Ancient Mayan Armor and Cat Burglar gear

SEASONAL CONTENT: "LOVE IS A BATTLEFIELD"

The battles between Wonder Woman and Circe have disrupted the magical balance, upsetting the Goddess of Love. Fountains have sprung up across Metropolis allowing players to enter the cherub shadow realm, where - as cherubs - they can celebrate and fight to determine the true meaning of love.
Collect Hearts: Earn hearts through PvP, shoot love arrows at citizens, participate in multiplayer races, and dominate the platformer bounce houses to earn hearts. Players can use them to purchase chocolates, gifts, rings, etc. for other players
PvP Battles: Fight to dunk the other team into the fountain
Battle The Goddess of Love: Battle for the definition of love in this 4-player boss fight against the aspects of the Goddess of Love, Devotion and Scorn
New Appearance Items: Earn a harlequin clown suit with hearts and a Cherub disguise
Be Mine: Replay boss battles and try to get them to "be mine"

ADDITIONAL UPDATES

Bane Duo: Two-player battle against the villain
Open World PvP: New Gotham PvP zone
Batcave 2 Raid: New 8-player raid zone added to Batcave, where players will fight alongside Batman against Brainiac and Brother Eye
Broker: Players can visit the auction houses in the Watchtower or the Hall of Doom to swap gear with each other to get their hero or villain completely tricked out
New collections, races and investigations

Courtesy: GameFocus.ca (http://www.gamefocus.ca/?nav=new&nid=12990)

cdj
04-06-2011, 07:47 AM
Wes Yanagi, producer of DC Universe Online, has published an open letter to players of the game via both Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/notes/dc-universe-online-the-official-game-page/dcuo-letter-from-the-producer/10150547275995717) and the official website (http://www.dcuniverseonline.com/en/news/archive.vm?id=34&month=current). In it, he notes that the DC Universe Online team was indeed affected by recent job losses at Sony Online Entertainment. He also says that the remaining team is dedicated to delivering "super awesome content" like the upcoming Update 2, due on May 4. Update 2 promises to fix a whole bunch of issues, including criticisms of the social system.

Courtesy: GamePro (http://www.gamepro.com/forums/topic/5170717/news-flash-dc-universe-online-affected-by-soe-cuts-update-2-coming-may-4/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GameProNews+%28GamePro.com+Da ily+News%29)

JeffHCross
04-06-2011, 11:25 PM
For anyone, like me, that didn't hear the job cuts news (http://www.pcworld.com/article/223994/sony_online_entertainment_job_cuts_studio_closures _confirmed.html):

Three studios (of five) terminated, 205 jobs simply gone. That's the damage--substantial by any measure--at Sony Online Entertainment, Sony's flagship online games development brand.

Left standing: San Diego (EverQuest, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, PlanetSide, Free Realms) and Austin (Star Wars Galaxies, DC Universe Online).

cdj
09-19-2011, 08:12 AM
IGN: DC Universe Online Going Free to Play (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/119/1195161p1.html)

If the proposition of buying DC Universe Online and then paying a monthly fee has been keeping you away from Sony Online Entertainment's MMO, prepare to enter Gotham City next month. In October, DC Universe Online goes free to play.

Both PlayStation 3 and PC players will be able to download and play the game for free. Three tiered levels will act as the game's revenue source from there along with in-game microtransactions. Here's the official breakdown from SOE.

Free
New players will now have access to the current gameplay in DC Universe Online (including Gotham City, Metropolis, and all current raids and alerts), with the ability to create two characters, join a league and many other benefits. Free level players will be able to purchase downloadable game packs/updates, additional character slots, powers and more through microtransactions.

Premium
Any player who has spent at least $5 (including former paid subscribers and new players who have purchased $5 of in-game items) will qualify for the Premium access level. Premium level players will have more benefits available to them than the Free level player, including additional character slots, additional inventory slots, and higher cash limits. Downloadable adventure packs, additional character slots, and more can be purchased in-game.

Legendary
Maximum features and benefits are included at this level. Loaded with enhanced additional features, Legendary access will be available for a $14.99 monthly fee and includes all DLC packs at no cost, more than 15 character slots, more than 80 inventory slots, the ability to form unrestricted-sized leagues, and many other benefits.

If you've already paid for a PC lifetime subscription or a PS3 plan, that deal still stands when this switch happens in late October. This event also marks the end of DCUO's auto-renew feature. In the past, the game would automatically resubscribe you when your subscription lapsed. That's over now – a result of the more than 40 percent of people who quit EverQuest II and complained about the auto-renew in a SOE survey.

"We decided 'Let's listen to them'," said Lorin Jameson, SOE executive producer. "I don't know about you, but my credit card statement every month is this amalgam of s*** of MMOs that I'm too lazy to cancel. What we want is to offer people a way to not worry about that."

The announcement of the free to play move comes just seven months after SOE released DC Universe Online. SOE wouldn't go into the exact number of subscribers currently playing the game, but Jameson said numbers are up since the move to megaservers and that free to play was not in response to subscriber numbers.

"In terms of 'Is it a result in a drop in subs' – absolutely not," he said. "This is the right business model. If I can be honest, the game ended up costing a lot more than we thought it would, and this was our preferred business model from day one."

If you're a stickler for fair play, SOE said you don't have to worry about microtransactions breaking the game. Super-powerful items such as Superman's raid suit will not be purchasable and experience won't be for sale in October. The experience will be similar to Free Realms' free to play model, SOE said, and you can expect to see it in games that are out now and future releases.

"We are really seeing the benefits of free to play, and we're really liking it," Jameson said. "Needless to say we're paying close attention to it and maybe looking to make some surprise moves a little later."

JBHuskers
09-19-2011, 08:26 AM
:up:

morsdraconis
09-19-2011, 09:26 AM
Interesting. Might be tempted to check it out now.

GatorfanStovy
09-24-2011, 07:29 PM
this is good news.I've been waiting to play this game since it released.Now maybe I can after Oct.Should be on sale for cheaper.Some good news.Maybe fees will die for MMO .

JBHuskers
09-24-2011, 07:52 PM
Yeah I'm hoping so too. I was in the beta, it was pretty fun, but seemed too repetitive on missions and such.

DariusLock
09-25-2011, 11:33 AM
Gah, I don't get love for posting this in the gaming deals thread?! Screw you guys...I'm goin home!

JBHuskers
09-25-2011, 01:48 PM
Gah, I don't get love for posting this in the gaming deals thread?! Screw you guys...I'm goin home!

That's because it was posted a week prior :D

Marlowe
10-04-2011, 09:02 PM
Yeah I'm hoping so too. I was in the beta, it was pretty fun, but seemed too repetitive on missions and such.

Yea daily level 30 missions definitely fall into the repetitive category. Still, you could probably get fully geared in tier 1 in about a week's time. Haven't read all the details on how much content you'll get at free level. I think chat might be limited. Still debating on whether to keep my current subscription or go f2p.

DariusLock
10-05-2011, 11:21 AM
Wonder when this goes free.

JBHuskers
10-05-2011, 11:35 AM
I thought I heard somewhere that we'd get 30 days paid for free once it goes free-to-play, is that correct?

DariusLock
10-05-2011, 11:38 AM
I think I read that somewhere, so you can make a choice on what you wanna play with. Just the game or all the extra perks.

JBHuskers
10-05-2011, 12:13 PM
I will probably give this game a fair shake at $15/mo since there isn't auto renew. Play it a month that I know I will have time to do it...then come back and pick it up again down the road.

JBHuskers
10-05-2011, 01:34 PM
Update 5 is Live: (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/04/dc-universe-online-facebook-page-teases-fifth-update-soon/)

DC Universe Online's official Facebook account has teased the fifth update for the popular console and PC MMO, hinting at new features and new characters to play with. The "Fate of the Fortress" update will include a new difficulty mode for the Hive Alert zone (with new loot to match), a duel feature for fighting friends, the ability to fight in the Batcave as yourself (rather than as the premade Iconic characters), and appearances from both Jor-El, Superman's dad, and the evil General Zod. We're not sure how that last one will be used, but best guess is that you'll have to /kneel before him.

That's just a little MMO humor for you there (very little). DCUO is scheduled to go free-to-play by the end of this month, and so presumably the update will drop sometime right around then. In fact, the official account comments on the Facebook page that "Update 5 is soon, F2P is Late October," so we may even see this new content out sooner than the changeover.

[Update: The DCUO Update 5 is now live.]

DariusLock
10-05-2011, 02:15 PM
I need this NOW!

JBHuskers
10-05-2011, 02:15 PM
Based on that release, I bet it's October 25th when it goes F2P.

JBHuskers
10-28-2011, 09:35 AM
From GameFocus:

Play DC Universe Online for Free Starting November 1st http://dlvr.it/sfBCS

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s159/jbennett98/DCUO.jpg

GatorfanStovy
10-28-2011, 11:29 AM
Awesome news I may pick this up finally.Wonder if people still play.

JBHuskers
10-28-2011, 11:35 AM
Awesome news I may pick this up finally.Wonder if people still play.

There are two people on my friends list that are on all the time, so I am assuming so.

DariusLock
10-31-2011, 03:53 PM
I need to find this game cheap ha.

JBHuskers
10-31-2011, 04:05 PM
I need to find this game cheap ha.

Well it's free beginning tomorrow :D You can't buy this game used BTW....once a disc is used on one system, it is unusable for any other system...which is why I'm surprised eBay still allows sales of it used.

DariusLock
10-31-2011, 04:19 PM
dang, so I need to go buy a new disc? Or are we going to be able to download the game? I'm confused.

JBHuskers
10-31-2011, 04:21 PM
dang, so I need to go buy a new disc? Or are we going to be able to download the game? I'm confused.

It'll be in the PSN Store tomorrow. They're going to a tiered system which includes a free to play option, along with two other tiers (go back a few pages for a table I posted the other day). ...but at least you can get the paid version without having to buy the disc now. I'm thinking that I might give the paid version a month or two later on down the road....just do free to play now because I won't to be able to put a ton of time into it.

DariusLock
10-31-2011, 04:23 PM
Cool...so free game!

JBHuskers
10-31-2011, 04:26 PM
Yeah, you'll just be able to get to a certain point, and will have to purchase the DLC packs if you want something new. Once I dig into it more, I'll decide if and when I go to the premium subscription.

DariusLock
11-01-2011, 05:25 PM
About to hop on and hope this is in the store lol.

JBHuskers
11-01-2011, 05:52 PM
Pretty sure it is out, but the servers are down I think.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

DariusLock
11-02-2011, 11:06 AM
OMG, how long does this download take? I gave up at 5% last night.

JBHuskers
11-02-2011, 11:23 AM
OMG, how long does this download take? I gave up at 5% last night.

The download is about 14GB, I left mine on overnight and lost my connection, so hopefully I don't have to start over.

GatorfanStovy
11-02-2011, 12:58 PM
HA HA 14gb is gonna take at least 4 hours or more.Maybe close to 8.That is a huge download,I dunno why you guys just don't go and buy the disk so much easier.

JBHuskers
11-02-2011, 01:10 PM
HA HA 14gb is gonna take at least 4 hours or more.Maybe close to 8.That is a huge download,I dunno why you guys just don't go and buy the disk so much easier.

Because this is free.

GatorfanStovy
11-02-2011, 01:12 PM
How is it free?Is it only for plus members or every one ?

JBHuskers
11-02-2011, 01:20 PM
How is it free?Is it only for plus members or every one ?

It became free-to-play for everyone beginning yesterday, look back a page or two, all the info is there.

GatorfanStovy
11-02-2011, 03:38 PM
HA my bad, I so didn't realize it was the full game.I'm so on this sucker now!Been waiting to play it since it launched but too cheap of a bastard to pay for it.I'm downloading it for both pc and ps3 . yeahhh ...60

Well I'm at 600 MB out of 14 gb since I found out gonna take all night/day I can see.

download update - I'm only at 2.3GB since 1pm PSN for me.how is everyone else coming along ?

GatorfanStovy
11-03-2011, 01:50 PM
So I'm stuck at 12.1 gb any ideas?it has been stuck all mooring. I've dissconnected my ps3 and hardly not using the net with laptop.Downloading for PC.

cdj
11-03-2011, 08:33 PM

I'd guess that these downloads are still required with the disc version as well with all of the updates, extra missions, DLC, etc. they keep putting out.

I'm going to start my download of the 14 GB file either tonight or tomorrow night. It will take quite a while with my connection.

GatorfanStovy
11-03-2011, 11:03 PM
Yea I finally got my big file all done.It took me two days basically.I had reset my router to finish because it lagged out or what ever.But then I had to wait in line for some reason on the P2P server is the other one different?Once I finally got in and my Hero it was pretty fun.I just need a mouse ( laptop user ) to go further oh and I was disconnected from the server before that.

JBHuskers
11-04-2011, 08:25 AM
#1 thing I noticed from the beta to now (version 1.17 I think?) is that the text is 110% easier to read.

PDawgs
11-05-2011, 01:32 PM
I am really liking this game. Two annoying things is that if you are PvP be ready to be jump by the Heros anytime. Best to travel in packs to protect each other. Since this game has has become free the servers have been crashing.

DariusLock
11-05-2011, 02:49 PM
Still have not finished downloading this, my brother won't get off my damn PS3 playin NCAA Online!!!

cdj
11-07-2011, 08:41 PM
From GameSpot (http://www.gamespot.com/news/dc-universe-online-population-spikes-1000-on-free-to-play-switch-6344319):

DC Universe Online launched in January as Sony Online Entertainment's fastest-selling game to date (http://www.gamespot.com/news/dc-universe-online-soes-fastest-selling-game-ever-6286837). The game is also attracting swaths of gamers in its new free-to-play form (http://www.gamespot.com/news/dc-universe-online-f2p-launch-set-for-november-1-6342810), according to Sony Online Entertainment president John Smedley.

On Saturday, the SOE executive took to his Twitter feed to reveal that user-base numbers were up 900 percent (https://twitter.com/#!/j_smedley/status/132935855022157824) over pre-free-to-play numbers since the new business model was introduced on November 1. Since then, the figure has ballooned to 1,000 percent (https://twitter.com/#!/j_smedley/status/133270049996800001). Smedley did not provide a breakdown of which platform new users are flocking to.

The player influx hasn't come without a cost, however. The massive influx of users has resulted in users reporting long waits to get into the game, and various other issues. The latest update from Smedley is that the team is aware of the issues and is "on it. (https://twitter.com/#!/j_smedley/status/133270049996800001)" Servers are being added to the DCUO infrastructure, and subscribers are being pushed to the front of log-in queues.

JBHuskers
11-14-2011, 10:29 AM
DCUO nets 1 million new players since going F2P (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/11/12/dcuo-nets-1-million-new-players-since-going-f2p/)

GatorfanStovy
11-14-2011, 05:59 PM
Yea go figure . People will actually play descent games if they go Free.i decided to start ever long download for ps3 type. Just can't play i on the pc for a laptop with out a good mouse. It was at 50 % earlier in the day today. It is really a fun game for free and has a lot of good features.The company should have expected this once they made it free every one would download the next week. Good for DC though.

JBHuskers
11-15-2011, 08:23 AM
Was going to screw around with this at the end of the night before bed, instead I ended up playing until 2am, tried to beat Scarecrow with three others and couldn't, then I created a villain since you have two character slots.

I wonder if you buy a month subscription where you unlock those slots, do you lose those slots if you cancel the monthly?

GatorfanStovy
11-15-2011, 11:42 AM
I would think if you get buy the pass you would get to keep those other two i dunno.Jb if you need some help add me I'll be playing this for a while until I leave for Arizona . my psn is stovy50.I finally got my download done after 33 hours wow that took for ever lol .

JBHuskers
11-15-2011, 11:47 AM
I would think if you get buy the pass you would get to keep those other two i dunno.Jb if you need some help add me I'll be playing this for a while until I leave for Arizona . my psn is stovy50.I finally got my download done after 33 hours wow that took for ever lol .

Probably not going to get on the rest of the week, but you never know :D But go ahead and add me since you might be on before I am next.

JBHuskers
11-15-2011, 11:47 AM
It's funny, my hero and villain both have villain type names.

Hero - Dark Deathpunch (based on and mentored by Batman)
Villain - Pure Pain (based on Bane, mentored by Joker)

GatorfanStovy
11-15-2011, 04:22 PM
Ok serious is a picking a name shouldn't be this fucking hard!!I am sure hell no that some of these names aren't used specially when used with numbers god dam it .

JB , I will add you when I can .

JBHuskers
11-15-2011, 04:23 PM
Ok serious is a picking a name shouldn't be this fucking hard!!I am sure hell no that some of these names aren't used specially when used with numbers god dam it .

JB , I will add you when I can .

I got lucky enough to come up with two names that no one has used :D

GatorfanStovy
11-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Yes I finally got my two guys all made up no problem. Dunno why it was that hard. But I'm loving the game so far. So much open roam it is insane in this game. I just wish voice chat would be much better of like actually work ! This is where party chat would come in handy.

GatorfanStovy
11-18-2011, 03:42 PM
I need some serious help with the scare crow mission right if any one has time for later or tonight. Add me stovy50 - her name is sargent Dukester .. This mission looks impossible so far and no luck doing it solo. JB your friends list was full man .

JBHuskers
11-18-2011, 04:02 PM
I need some serious help with the scare crow mission right if any one has time for later or tonight. Add me stovy50 - her name is sargent Dukester .. This mission looks impossible so far and no luck doing it solo. JB your friends list was full man .

I tried a few times too and couldn't get past it. I'll try to clear out my list when I get back in town next week.

JBHuskers
01-23-2013, 03:07 PM
Eric is talking about starting to fire this back up....I think I might have to get back into it.

psuexv
01-23-2013, 07:04 PM
Eric is talking about starting to fire this back up....I think I might have to get back into it.

:nod: probably going to download it tonight.

JBHuskers
01-23-2013, 11:28 PM
:nod: probably going to download it tonight.

Me too. I'm going to start the update when I go to bed.

JBHuskers
01-24-2013, 12:26 AM
For some reason the download of patch 1.44 is going horrendously slow. Gonna let PS+ automatically download and install tomorrow morning, and then do the game update overnight tomorrow.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

psuexv
02-01-2013, 09:38 AM
Lot of fun with this last night. Took down the Scarecrow. We need to get some more people and run havoc on the city :D

Escobar
02-04-2013, 12:23 AM
I have it, but it's gonna take forever for me to download the 13GB update. By the time I finish they'll probably release another one (already happened once, and I just stopped playing). We'll see how it goes.

psuexv
02-04-2013, 08:54 AM
I have it, but it's gonna take forever for me to download the 13GB update. By the time I finish they'll probably release another one (already happened once, and I just stopped playing). We'll see how it goes.

yeah I just let mine run over night one night. It was at like 80% in the morning so I let it go during the day and it was done when I got home from work.

psusnoop
02-04-2013, 10:06 AM
I will have to download this soon.

JBHuskers
02-04-2013, 11:13 AM
Download is one thing. The in-game update is another :D that will be an all-nighter plus some.

I was beginning to wonder if it saved my download progress when I lost the internet overnight and resumed where it left off because I'm a PS+ member? Only thing I can think of, cuz mine cut off at 93%, then resumed the next night and was done an hour later.

JBHuskers
02-04-2013, 11:13 AM
Got a duplicate in there somehow...

GatorfanStovy
02-04-2013, 02:54 PM
the download is hands down the games biggest issue. I need to play it more again. So much roaming to do still.

psuexv
02-08-2013, 11:05 AM
Up to a level 10, took down Bane last night :up:

SCClassof93
02-08-2013, 12:49 PM
Going to dl this today.

psuexv
02-08-2013, 01:02 PM
Going to dl this today.

Sweet. Let me know I think we are playing some tonight. We can help you go through the first couple of missions to help you level up faster.

SCClassof93
02-08-2013, 01:13 PM
Sweet. Let me know I think we are playing some tonight. We can help you go through the first couple of missions to help you level up faster.

Thanks E!

Are you guys running villains/heroes? Going to dl it on the other ps3 for the wife :D

psuexv
02-08-2013, 01:20 PM
Thanks E!

Are you guys running villains/heroes? Going to dl it on the other ps3 for the wife :D

We are heroes. Also on the PvE side.

SCClassof93
02-08-2013, 01:27 PM
We are heroes. Also on the PvE side.

Guess I will figure out what PvE is later :confused:

psuexv
02-08-2013, 01:58 PM
Guess I will figure out what PvE is later :confused:

Whenever you set up your character it will ask if you want to set it up in PvP or PvE. Player vs Player or Player vs Environment. Same worlds, same missions, difference is in PvP user controlled heroes and villains can interact against each other and other people can interfere with your missions.

SCClassof93
02-08-2013, 02:00 PM
Whenever you set up your character it will ask if you want to set it up in PvP or PvE. Player vs Player or Player vs Environment. Same worlds, same missions, difference is in PvP user controlled heroes and villains can interact against each other and other people can interfere with your missions.

PvP sounds like a lot of opportunity for douchebaggery :D

psuexv
02-08-2013, 02:12 PM
PvP sounds like a lot of opportunity for douchebaggery :D

Yep, lots of trolls from what I hear.

JBHuskers
02-08-2013, 02:23 PM
They're probably 7' 11" 400 pounds with 99 speed....

Oh wait, that create a wrestler, or teambuilder :D

JeffHCross
02-08-2013, 07:13 PM
Yep, lots of trolls from what I hear.There are plenty of legitimate PvPers. But it does allow for assholes too.

SCClassof93
02-08-2013, 08:03 PM
Playing some now, not really feeling it, yet.

psuexv
02-08-2013, 08:58 PM
Playing some now, not really feeling it, yet.

What all did you do?

SCClassof93
02-08-2013, 09:08 PM
What all did you do?

Still on the intro part, beating down bots etc. Level 3 now. Will try some tomorrow.

Escobar
02-10-2013, 05:27 PM
Is there a way to switch from PvP to PvE. My first character I made while learning the game when they first made it free is PvE and level 8 or 9 I think. Then the main one I play with is PvP, and I just leveld up to 9 a couple days ago after taking almost 2-3 days, off an on, downloading the update.

psuexv
02-10-2013, 10:21 PM
I think there is. I think I remember reading somewhere you can toggle it but can't remember where I read it.

psuexv
02-11-2013, 08:56 AM
Here's what I was reading from the game guide. It would be in your quick menu. I think I'm reading it correctly that you can do it.

Toggle PvP:
Toggle PvP on and off by highlighting this option and pressing X. This will determine if you can be attacked in the open world by other players. If you choose to toggle PvP off, there will be a ten (10) minute delay before the change goes into effect. This setting cannot be toggled in PvP (Player vs. Player) matches and is only valid for the open world on PvE servers.

CLW
06-11-2013, 06:48 AM
Headed to PS4 as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp_omXgKqAI

cdj
11-09-2013, 10:21 AM
Not surprising, but still pretty cool that PS4, PS3, & PC users can play against each other.

When Sony Online Entertainment launches the PlayStation 4 incarnation of DC Universe Online on November 15, the game will look shiny and new, even if under the hood it's largely the same adventure.

As you'd expect, the PlayStation 4 game will look much better than its predecessor. According to senior creative producer Jens Andersen, the DC Universe Online team has reworked much of the original game's art for the new platform. "We're targeting 1080p at 60 frames per second," stated Andersen.

Most crucially, players on either the PS4 or PS3 side of DC Universe Online will be able to play alongside one another. No new content is being added to the PS4 game that's not already available in its predecessor, so this cross-compatibility shouldn't throw off the game's balance. Further, Andersen mentions a number of tweaks to core game systems that should make the learning curve less daunting while also rendering the game as a whole more intuitive to new players.

More info at PlayStation Blog (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/11/06/dc-universe-online-on-ps4-your-questions-answered/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PSBlog+%28PlayStation.Blog%29 )