PDA

View Full Version : NCAA 12 Cover Athlete

Rudy
12-07-2010, 10:03 PM
I know it's early but I was thinking about who they might pick as the cover athlete for next year. The top two teams are both spread teams so I thought they might pick a mobile QB. Cam Newton might be controversial and would only be a candidate if he went pro. Most of the top Heisman candidates aren't seniors so unless someone goes pro I don't know who EA would pick.

BUT, with the success of Jordan on the cover of NBA 2K11, I wonder if EA would try something similar by putting a former big name guy on the cover. If they really want to promote the mobile QB next year (my hope, have no clue) then why not put Vince Young on the cover? Create a Vince moments type of thing where he beat Michigan in the Rose Bowl or USC in the title game. Include some classic teams like Tommy Frasier's Nebraska. They could even buy the rights to a handful of classic teams and actually have real players names on some of these teams. Maybe sell that as a collector's edition of NCAA and offer it as DLC. Just putting some stuff out there.

With so much of the sales coming in week 1, as people can't wait to get their hands on the game, why not sell the collector's edition a few days in advance? Make it a Best Buy exclusive and sell NCAA 12 on a Friday (collector's edition) and then the regular edition on Tuesday? It might help curb some of the street date breaking and make more money.

Just ramblin. :)

gschwendt
12-07-2010, 10:49 PM
Maybe with the emphasis on defense, they'll pick all defensive players for the covers.

If Cam goes pro, it's almost too hard not to pick him, regardless of the controversy (unless of course it comes to light that he's ineligible). If they don't pick defensive players, I'd say Andrew Luck, Jake Locker, Ryan Mallet, AJ Green, and Mark Ingram would all be likely candidates (of course a couple of those are assuming they go pro early).

As for Vince Young, I doubt they would go with him because of how his pro career has been a roller coaster. I could see the former player angle but then again they did that before with Desmond Howard on NCAA06 (I believe it was).

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
12-08-2010, 01:41 AM
Mark Ingram would be my guess... heisman trophy winner... bama had a couple losses but still he has the trophy... even if Cam goes pro, still say Ingram will get it...

"E"

JerzeyReign
12-08-2010, 02:56 AM
Denard Robinson.. who cares if he goes pro or not... its been awhile since a Wolverine was on the cover;) (2007 if y'all are wondering)

Rudy
12-08-2010, 05:39 AM
Denard can't be on the cover though because of his amateur status.

JBHuskers
12-08-2010, 10:48 AM
My guess would be Mark Ingram....Luck 2nd.

JeffHCross
12-09-2010, 08:00 PM
Mark Ingram isn't a senior either, folks.

If Patrick Peterson leaves, and the emphasis is placed on defense, I could see him being one possible player on the cover. Too bad Cam Newton just played bowled over him back when Auburn played LSU, otherwise I could see a head-to-head type of cover between Newton and Peterson, if both were to leave.

Even if the emphasis is placed on defense, I'd say it's between Luck, Cam and Ingram. None of whom are seniors :D

Among seniors, Cameron Heyward of Ohio State has potential, especially with a big showing in the Sugar Bowl. John Clay is an obvious option, especially with a big Rose Bowl. I'd put Casey Matthews as a potential dark horse, particular because I think defense could become the story in the NC game (as in one team plays it, the other doesn't ... not saying which way I think it would go, just that it might be a story). Andy Dalton is another dark horse depending on the Rose Bowl.

Rudy
12-10-2010, 05:52 AM
It's hard to put John Clay on there after an injury riddled senior season that saw a true freshman out rush him on his own team. I find it curious that you would suggest a Buckeye for the cover. ;)

When does the NCAA team make the cover decision?

Also, I'd love it if they included an upscaled classic NCAA 06 on the game (collector's edition) for NCAA 12 but with current rosters. That would be cool.

cdj
12-10-2010, 08:18 AM
When does the NCAA team make the cover decision?

I'd guess that they probably have a short list now and will make a decision and approach the athletes following the bowl game once they are officially declared for the draft or eligibility completed.

Keep suggesting names, guys. We have a formal article coming this weekend/Monday with some additional names, so we're open to anyone we may have missed. We also have a couple of names on that list that have yet to be mentioned that might be in the driver's seat.

CLW
12-10-2010, 09:27 AM
I have NOTHING but speculation to base this on. However, with the recent mention by the folks at madden that Defense is a focus this year I would be SHOCKED if it wasn't a defensive player.

A possible list:

Patrick Peterson and/or Prince Amukamara (could emphasize the improved zone/db coverage)

Stephen Paea and/or Allen Bailey - I don't think a d-lineman has ever graced the cover for an EA Sports game (Sapp did for 2K)

Von Miller/Jeremy Beal - two solid linebackers

Rahim Moore - Safety could showcase improvements to coverage as well as tackling/run defense.

EDIT: Also just crossed my mind that EA could really throw a curve ball and go with a Coach (if they bring in some form of a Coaching Carosel) The most obvious choice is Joe Pa.

morsdraconis
12-10-2010, 10:05 AM
EDIT: Also just crossed my mind that EA could really throw a curve ball and go with a Coach (if they bring in some form of a Coaching Carosel) The most obvious choice is Joe Pa.

That would be pretty damn cool, but it's already been said that it's unlikely that the Coach Carousel will get into '12.

CLW
12-10-2010, 11:50 AM
That would be pretty damn cool, but it's already been said that it's unlikely that the Coach Carousel will get into '12.

Yeah your probably right. They will save the Coaching Carousel feature for when Joe Pa really retires in NCAA Football 2675.

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
12-10-2010, 12:47 PM
lol @
NCAA Football 2675.

"E"

JeffHCross
12-10-2010, 05:06 PM
It's hard to put John Clay on there after an injury riddled senior season that saw a true freshman out rush him on his own team. I find it curious that you would suggest a Buckeye for the cover.Honestly, I was only trying to think of players that could "make it" to the cover with big games in bowls. I'm think Jared Z kinda thing here. Plus, I was trying to focus on seniors.

Yeah your probably right. They will save the Coaching Carousel feature for when Joe Pa really retires in NCAA Football 2675.Yeep, a lot of people have been speculating that Coach Carousel will be the #1 feature as soon as Joe Pa retires.

Though cdj mentioned in the TGT podcast at some point that one of the cool thinks about College Hoops' Coaching Carousel was that you could see Lute Olsen retire from Arizona and then see who replaced him, and how the dominoes fell from there. I'd say that it would be very cool to see "PSU Coach" retire in the game, see who replaces him, etc.

ram29jackson
12-10-2010, 08:02 PM
it should be JOPA-period

Iron Dragon
12-10-2010, 08:45 PM
By categories:

Coach: Joe Paterno or Bowden
Previous Heisman Winner: Troy Smith or Sam Bradford
Suspend this guy with the new Discipline feature: Marvin Austin
Headed to the draft: Jake Locker, Kerrigan/Clayborn/Heyward

CLW
12-11-2010, 08:18 AM
Had another thought on Coaching Carosel emphasis on the cover. What if they did a "Mount Rushmore" of Coaches? Two ways this could be done:

#1 Different Coach on each cover: PS3, 360, PS2, Wii

#2 4 Coaches on the cover for all consoles

Joe Pa/Bobby Bowden/Bear Bryant/Pop Warner

Rudy
12-11-2010, 01:10 PM
I think coaching carousel is something only a small percentage of people want. I know it won the tournament but when I talk to more casual gaming fans they are shocked that coaching carousel won. It's a truly hardcore wishlist thing that I would be surprised if it was made a focal feature for NCAA 12.

JeffHCross
12-11-2010, 01:22 PM
IMO, there's no way to do a "Mount Rushmore" without generating some significant controversy. So I would hope they stay away from that.

In all honesty, I hope they follow up the Tebow covers with more single-player-for-all-editions covers. As cool as it was to honor multiple players, I prefer not seeing different players on different systems.

It's a truly hardcore wishlist thingWell, no shit. ;) It's both a hardcore thing and a Dynasty Mode thing.

cdj
12-11-2010, 01:47 PM
The Carousel aspect is pretty hardcore, but I think just adding coaches is a feature that would have mass appeal --- provided the NCAA team integrates them more effectively than the Madden team has. For example, they look relatively like their real-life counterparts, they act like their namesake (stoic, emotional, hiding behind playsheet, etc), have coaches license for names (or editable), proper cutscenes (show them in key spots, not just for sake of it) and so on. I think having real coaches would resonate with most in the community.

CLW
12-11-2010, 01:57 PM
IMO, there's no way to do a "Mount Rushmore" without generating some significant controversy. So I would hope they stay away from that..

I don't see anymore of a "significant controversy" than the decision EA makes every year of who graces the cover.

Rudy
12-11-2010, 03:21 PM
Didn't 2K college hoops get the license for all the coaches' names? Having real coaches and personalities would be cool. But please make a coach file so we can edit names and tendencies AND share them if they don't do that.

cdj
12-11-2010, 03:23 PM
I'm pretty sure 2K had the coaches license.

I also agree that even if EA would get license someday for coaches that we can still edit appearances, tendencies, etc. and have the ability to share them. That would allow for more user customization in helping to keep the game current & fresh.

Coachdenz
12-12-2010, 03:27 PM
Mark Ingram if he goes pro.