PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Down the Wildcat (NCAA 11)

cdj
12-01-2010, 06:08 PM
This is a basic tip sheet for the Wildcat I put together for the NCAA 11 product site. Feel free to post any of your thoughts & strategies (basic or advanced) as it relates to the Wildcat. I would like to incorporate it more into my offense, so I'd like to know how much you guys use it and in what forms.

http://ll-100.ea.com/cem/u/f/GPO/easports.com/NCAA_Football_11/wildcat/HuskersWildcat.jpg

The Wildcat formation is a great way to get the ball directly into the hands of an explosive playmaker. Rising to prominence in 2006 when the Arkansas Razorbacks used it with their two talented running backs, it is a variation of the single-wing formation and has been used in modern football since the late 1990s.

Just because you have the Wildcat in your playbook does not mean you should run it for the sake of using it. With a running back or wide receiver now the point man for the offensive attack, your foe will be expecting a run play since both are likely to have relatively low quarterback ratings (Throw Power & Accuracy). However, if you have several different plays in your Wildcat arsenal, you can keep the defense honest and make a big play.

It is best used if you do not have an outstanding quarterback in terms of speed or even throwing accuracy. Replacing a quick quarterback for a fast running back or wide receiver is only an equal trade-off at best and at worst tips off the defense that you will be running the ball and likely be one-dimensional. The Wildcat should be used to catch the defense off-guard and a unique wrinkle in your offensive attack, but not as your actual full-fledged attack. If you can exhibit any sort of passing attack or a range of rushing plays with the Wildcat, you can be very successful with it.

Here are four basic Wildcat plays you should run in Practice Mode to help develop a full-fledged Wildcat attack. Note that plays will vary among playbooks.

HB Dive (Power) - This is the bread-and-butter play of the Wildcat and is what most defenses expect to see. (UAB - Vulcan)

RB Sweep (HB Base)- This play helps keep the defense honest as they do not know which back to go after as they run to the outside. (UAB - Vulcan)

Play-Action Seam Pass (PA TE Post) - After stepping up to make the play look like a HB Dive or RB Sweep, look to pass the ball to the tight end between the safeties who may have bitten on the play fake. (Kansas State - Wildcat)

Play-Action HB Pass (PA Jet Sweep) - As the man in motion goes across, the fake hand-off helps freeze the linebackers, giving time to connect with the FB and/or WR who runs a slant to the outside. (Auburn - Wild Tiger) [TIP: Another possibility is to audible the far outside receiver (where QB is lined up) to a Go route. Then, run the PA as normal, but throw to the sweeping HB2... generally its short enough that even a HB with 40 THP/THA can make it fairly well. As well, often he'll be uncovered, especially if a user starts chasing the FB & WR in their routes.]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua58vQ03aF0

Finding the Wildcat in Playbooks

In NCAA Football 11, some schools have a specific Wildcat formation in their playbooks and some of those even have the actual vernacular they use in real life. One example is UAB and their 'Vulcan' formation. Many schools with a Wildcat formation will have the name of the formation be a play on their mascot. Some examples include Virginia Tech's "Wild Turkey" and Auburn's "Wild Tiger."

If your favorite playbook does not have a specific Wildcat formation, I recommend using the Formation Subs feature in conjunction with a formation you do not use very often, if at all, as you will be subbing out your QB. In real life, this season Nebraska has found themselves running the Wildcat with their back-up RB in at QB out of the shotgun, allowing them to run the read option with two running backs. Expect to see it numerous times in this Saturday's Big 12 Championship game versus Oklahoma.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ARy5RSdR-U

How to Defend the Wildcat

Keeping in mind the strengths and weaknesses of the Wildcat attack, a strong defensive mindset can help shut down this offensive scheme. Most running backs and wide receivers have very low passing ratings so when your foe is in the Wildcat; expect a running play the vast majority of time. Expect your foe to start by running between the tackles first and later run outside when you adjust and vice versa.

One primary defensive tactic against the Wildcat is to put your defensive ends into contain (R1/RB then up on Right Stick) to help cut off outside runs and funnel the ball carrier back into the heart of the defense. With the Wildcat relying on speed in the backfield, you may want to utilize a quick defensive with five or six defenses, such as Dime or Quarters and bring your defensive backs closer to the line of scrimmage. Hot routing one of your defensive players into QB Spy can also help contain the speed in the backfield. If your foe does not adjust and is insanely predictable, use the pre-snap Defensive Keys to select Run Left, Run Mid, or Run Right to help shut them down. Bringing pressure can force a quicker than expected decision and hopefully a miscue in your favor.

Conclusion

The Wildcat can be the spark to help your offense get over the hump during a game or long season as it can help put the ball directly into the hands of a premier playmaker. However, if you do not use it wisely it can hurt your squad.

Rudy
12-01-2010, 06:24 PM
I've never used this but I should try it more. I think VT has it in their playbook and possibly Oregon even.

xMrHitStickx904
12-03-2010, 12:12 PM
Nice writeup, I also use this kind of skeleton wildcat with the WildTiger Spread, especially with Auburn. I sub Kodi Burns at QB, and have Cameron Newton at reciever. Perfect fade goalline option right there.

JeffHCross
12-03-2010, 11:54 PM
If your favorite playbook does not have a specific Wildcat formation, I recommend using the Formation Subs feature in conjunction with a formation you do not use very often, if at all, as you will be subbing out your QB.Acknowledging that Formation Subs was a major feature for Tiburon this year, and so it's a good thing to feature ... I still don't feel too hot about you advocating something (subbing in a non-QB at QB) that we've generally considered "cheese" for years. I realize that you're probably thinking of it solely with Jet Sweep or Speed Option plays ... but it's more likely they'll call Four Verticals and just take off with their HB.

CLW
12-04-2010, 05:48 AM
I've found the Wildcat to be completely Homerun or Bust against the CPU and I cannot think of a time it worked well against a human opponent.

cdj
12-04-2010, 11:01 AM
Acknowledging that Formation Subs was a major feature for Tiburon this year, and so it's a good thing to feature ... I still don't feel too hot about you advocating something (subbing in a non-QB at QB) that we've generally considered "cheese" for years. I realize that you're probably thinking of it solely with Jet Sweep or Speed Option plays ... but it's more likely they'll call Four Verticals and just take off with their HB.

I debated on that as well, but figured that by this point in the year that wouldn't be unearthing some new cheese strategy online. If they aren't trying to exploit that now, they won't start because of this. I also didn't want to write something on the Wildcat and only focus on the schools that have it, so it seemed logical to explain how those without the formation could add it.

Good feedback though from all, thanks!