PDA

View Full Version : Defensive help against 4 and 5 wide receiver formations

baseballplyrmvp
11-29-2010, 09:19 AM
a friend and me are going to be playing an od game over the next couple of days in our fcs od (cupcake roster template). he runs an air raid offense, using 4 wide for basically every down, except 3rd and longs, which he often comes out in a 5 wide. when we played in year one of this od, he beat me on a last second touchdown from 4 yards to beat me by 4.

i'm using a 4-2-5 defense as my base, but i feel i have to abandon that gameplan and call plays out of the dime formations, just to have better coverage. he's a good pocket passer and knows how to make progression reads.

i know it'll be impossible to completely shut his offense down, but all i need are probably 2 defensive stops and i'll end up winning. he's fairly conservative on defense and i know i'll be able to throw on him. what are some things that i can do to at least somewhat slow him down more than just playing simple man coverage the whole time?

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
11-29-2010, 10:39 AM
if he is a conservative guy on offense, as he is on defense then i would stick to man and blitz 6 every play, slant to the wide side of the field or slant away from the RB in the backfield... in case he is running the ball... this will force him to swap to crossing routes, once he has done that a few times, coach tight zones, and go with a zone blitz, the tight zone will give a "man" look at first, then you should get a pick here or there... dont press too much when sending 6, the deep ball will eventually kill you, especially if he is a pass first guy he will be looking for the strike...

"E"

baseballplyrmvp
11-29-2010, 07:24 PM
thanks gridiron. i should have checked to make sure he was using the same kind of offense first, and he's no longer using a 4-5 wide passing attack. he's using the pro style playbook, so i guess i should be looking for a west coast type of playcalling? lots of stuff to the tight ends? power running game? how does the 425 stand up to this? or would i be better suited using a 3-4 defense (perhaps warbird's demon defense)? any additional pointers would be appreciated.

JeffHCross
11-29-2010, 07:31 PM
4-2-5, in my opinion, is perfect for a Pro-Style offense. I still haven't found a lot of success with the 3--4 against Pro-Style, namely because you leave yourself vulnerable to outside runs.

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
11-29-2010, 10:25 PM
if he is a pro style guy use the 4-2-5 like Jeff says... tons of cover 2 and pick your blitzes wisely as his TE's will be vital to his passing game... force him to go back to his old ways and try to run gun... all players will revert to what they know best... unless he was just using a spread passing game that one time you mentioned... best of luck bro

"E"

baseballplyrmvp
11-29-2010, 10:38 PM
thanks guys....lets hope i'll be able to get a couple 3rd down stops. i torched his 4-2-5 last year using the r&s for like 450 yards. i know i'll put up numbers on him. it all comes down to how well i can play defense.