PDA

View Full Version : Week 14 Discussion (2010)

cdj
11-28-2010, 09:38 AM
http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/images/NCAA11/SouthCarolina.jpg

It's Conference Championship Week and almost the end of the regular season. Auburn, Oregon, and TCU are fighting for an appearance in the BCS Championship Game and others are playing for guaranteed BCS bowl spots. Vote for your Game of the Week pick!

Arizona St. at Arizona| ESPN HD| Dec 2 2010 8:00PM
MAC: Northern Illinois vs. Miami (OH)| ESPN2 HD| Dec 3 2010 7:00PM
Illinois at Fresno St.| ESPN2 HD| Dec 3 2010 10:15PM
Troy at Florida Atlantic| ESPNU HD| Dec 4 2010 2:00PM
Nevada at Louisiana Tech| WAC Sports| Dec 4 2010 3:00PM
Utah St. at Boise St.| KTVB| Dec 4 2010 3:00PM
Oregon at Oregon St.| ABC HD| Dec 4 2010 3:30PM
SEC: Auburn vs. South Carolina| CBS HD| Dec 4 2010 4:00PM
San Jose St. at Idaho| SWX-Spokane |Dec 4 2010 5:00PM
Washington at Washington St.| Versus HD| Dec 4 2010 7:00PM
ACC: Florida State vs. Virginia Tech| ESPN HD| Dec 4 2010 7:45PM
Big 12: Nebraska vs. Oklahoma |ABC HD| Dec 4 2010 8:00PM
USC at UCLA |FSN HD |Dec 4 2010 10:30PM
UNLV at Hawai'i| Oceanic PPV HD| Dec 4 2010 10:30PM

JeffHCross
11-28-2010, 10:53 AM
Go with the homer pick, cdj, and pick Nebraska / Oklahoma.

cdj
11-28-2010, 11:08 AM

Already picked Auburn/South Carolina! :P

JeffHCross
11-28-2010, 11:40 AM
Already picked Auburn/South Carolina! :PAh, so the voting is a sham after all ;)

cdj
11-28-2010, 04:25 PM
I misinterpreted your first post. I voted for AU/SC and we'll wait to see how voting shakes out by morning in naming a GOTW - though I think AU/SC will win out, but the NU/OU storyline is an interesting one.

JeffHCross
11-28-2010, 08:52 PM
I knew what you meant, I just couldn't help taking a shot ;)

JBHuskers
11-29-2010, 11:28 PM

Why not....it's a fitting end to Nebraska leaving the Big 8 / 12

psuexv
11-30-2010, 02:14 PM
The SEC championship game could really put a wrinkle into BCS bowl games. If South Carolina pulls one out TCU probably gets the title shot and Boise probably gets a BCS game.

NatureBoy
11-30-2010, 10:30 PM
:South_Carolina: South Carolina vs Auburn. South Carolina has a chance to do something that's never been done in the history of College Football. Beat the #1 team in the nation twice in the same season.

psuexv
12-01-2010, 03:37 PM
Also there is a somewhat chance that Oregon State takes down Oregon. That game is always close, but Oregon might just be that much better this year. However you can never count out the Rodgers

cdj
12-02-2010, 02:07 PM
From 1978 Nebraska-Oklahoma, one of the biggest hits I've ever seen in a football game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pByDA7TmQ_w

It's a shame that the NU-OU rivalry ended with the Big 12, but it is fitting these two are playing for the final conference championship.

cdj
12-02-2010, 09:56 PM
#23 Arizona was down 6-0 at the half, but is now up 14-6 after some big pass plays in the second half. It looks like ASU is wilting.

EDIT - Now, ASU takes the lead 17-14 midway through the fourth.

psuexv
12-02-2010, 10:06 PM
Wilting? Not anymore... Up by 3

cdj
12-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Wilting? Not anymore... Up by 3

ASU is so weird....they look horrible for several plays or drives, then they connect on a big pass play or recover a fumble to set-up scores. Making the big plays when they need to.

psuexv
12-02-2010, 10:17 PM
Why in the world do you go for it on 4th down?

psuexv
12-02-2010, 10:33 PM
Wow.... Blocked extra point to keep it tied.

cdj
12-02-2010, 11:13 PM
Second blocked PAT gives State the 30-29 win in 2OT over Zona. It's like Zendejas forgot how to kick - no trajectory on either of the blocks.

psuexv
12-03-2010, 08:10 AM
Second blocked PAT gives Zona the 30-29 win in 2OT. It's like Zendejas forgot how to kick - no trajectory on either of the blocks.

Gives State the win!

JBHuskers
12-03-2010, 10:04 AM
Zendejas and Brotzman are going to need to start a support group for kickers.

cdj
12-03-2010, 09:05 PM
This MAC title game is crazy. Miami completes a 4th & 20 then gets a 33-yard TD to go up 26-21 with :33 left on #25 Northern Illinois.

Solidice
12-03-2010, 09:15 PM
I would have never guessed that Miami(OH) would beat Northern Illinois in this game. pretty crazy ending.

Illinois @ Fresno State starting up now.

JeffHCross
12-04-2010, 12:07 AM
If South Carolina pulls one out TCU probably gets the title shot and Boise probably gets a BCS game.Nope.

No more than one such team from Conference USA, the Mid-American Conference, the Mountain West Conference, the Sun Belt Conference, and the Western Athletic Conference shall earn an automatic berth in any year. (Note: a second team may be eligible for at-large eligibility as noted below.)Since Boise's all the way down at #11 now, I'd be very surprised if they get an at-large bid.

JeffHCross
12-04-2010, 12:10 AM
Miami's victory over Northern Illinois just proves what a team with a lot of heart can accomplish. From 1-11 to MAC Champions.

Solidice
12-04-2010, 11:15 AM
snowing in the Cincy-Pitt game.

UCF takes a 7-0 lead on SMU in the C-USA Championship game. they took about half the 1st quarter out on that first drive.

cdj
12-04-2010, 05:55 PM
Looks like the match-up is set. Oregon wins and Auburn now has 42-14 3rd quarter lead.

CLW
12-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Looks like the match-up is set. Oregon wins and Auburn now has 42-14 3rd quarter lead.

LOL I'm hoping the Cam Newton thing blows up either right before the BCS Title or after Auburn wins the whole thing. IMHO, its so blatantly obvious Newton was not/is not eligible.

JeffHCross
12-04-2010, 07:45 PM
IMHO, its so blatantly obvious Newton was not/is not eligible."Blatantly obvious" with no evidence seems implausible.

morsdraconis
12-04-2010, 08:53 PM
Jeff, there's no freakin' way that daddy Newton was asking for money for Cam to play at a Div I school without Cam knowing. The kid had to know. Recruiters had to have mentioned it to him if nothing else. Hope Auburn fans enjoy it while it lasts because they are going to get spanked by the NCAA sooner or later over this.

HWill
12-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Man, Nebraska basically gift-wrapped a Big 12 Championship and handed it to Oklahoma. Not taking anything away from the Sooners defense, but four turnovers after being up 17-0? :smh:

cdj
12-05-2010, 01:24 AM
Nebraska's offensive playcalling was pretty poor overall and the execution (at times) made it worse. If we had a consistent offense (doesn't even have to be top shelf), they'd probably be looking at 13-0 right now. Instead, they go 10-3 and lucky they didn't lose at Iowa State as well.

CLW
12-05-2010, 03:22 AM
"Blatantly obvious" with no evidence seems implausible.

Jeff, there's no freakin' way that daddy Newton was asking for money for Cam to play at a Div I school without Cam knowing. The kid had to know. Recruiters had to have mentioned it to him if nothing else. Hope Auburn fans enjoy it while it lasts because they are going to get spanked by the NCAA sooner or later over this.

Exactly. Moreover, the stupidity of the NCAA's decision is going to allow every kid to try and make the "Cam Newton" defense. Daddy did it and I didn't know. Kentucky is already trying it with Enes Kanter.

Rudy
12-05-2010, 11:48 AM
I don't care if Cam didn't know. He's close with his dad and the NCAA has to rule he's ineligible but they didn't and will close the "loophole" after the season. I don't get the NCAA. A USC kid missed a game for taking a ride on a golf cart for crying out loud. They stole the majority of Dez Bryant's senior year because he lied during an investigation over a dinner with Deion Sanders. The kid panicked but did nothing wrong. So he gets punished for lying? Please.

Rudy
12-05-2010, 11:54 AM
As for the actual games yesterday, Oregon hasn't looked as good in the last month. They seem to hit their stride early on and I think they may struggle against Auburn. Auburn seems to get better with each week. They will be my favourite in the title game.

Mike Riley was gutless when he chose to kick field goals instead of go for TDs late in the game. He kicks one FG and was still down 17. WTF? You don't beat a team like Oregon, who routinely put up over 40 a game, by settling for FGs.

That's two huge plays lately on end of half situations where most NFL teams kneel the ball down. Arkansas hit LSU with a 70+ yard TD to end the half and Auburn's hail mary put a stake through the heart of SC.

Taylor Martinez was awful last night. He didn't run the ball worth crap which means he's useless on the field. He took too many sacks (the line was pretty bad though), fumbled too much (why didn't he hold on to that ball when guys were all over him) and was really off target all night. Guys were constantly spinning around trying to catch his bad passes. That pick at the end of the first half was a HORRIBLE decision. I think Nebraska fans may be questioning why he wasn't benched in that second half.

I still think Nebraska should have spent at least one more timeout while Oklahoma was killing the clock. Saving two timeouts and then only leaving yourself two minutes left in the game with a terrible QB seemed to be asking for too much. I thought Zac Lee should have been used in the second half. Oklahoma really outplayed them after the first quarter.

cdj
12-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Rudy - Lots of people here in NE wondering why the back-ups didn't get a look with Martinez clearly not at 100%. NU is going to need to take a serious look at changing some of the OC staff in the off-season (namely the OC). Once we hit a year where the defense is in a rebuilding mode (maybe next year with losses in secondary), the team will struggle to win 6-7 games with the offense as inconsistent as they have been the last three+ years. Too reliant on big plays. Without a healthy Martinez and/or the D playing like it has, NU loses to Iowa State and Oklahoma State and is lucky to be 8-4.

JeffHCross
12-05-2010, 03:06 PM
Jeff, there's no freakin' way that daddy Newton was asking for money for Cam to play at a Div I school without Cam knowing.I didn't say I believed he didn't know. Far from it, I would bet that he did.

But when there has been no evidence found by the NCAA or the SEC, that's a far cry from saying "blatantly obvious". There has to at least be evidence for something to be either blatant or obvious, let alone both.

Rudy
12-05-2010, 06:29 PM
Rudy - Lots of people here in NE wondering why the back-ups didn't get a look with Martinez clearly not at 100%. NU is going to need to take a serious look at changing some of the OC staff in the off-season (namely the OC). Once we hit a year where the defense is in a rebuilding mode (maybe next year with losses in secondary), the team will struggle to win 6-7 games with the offense as inconsistent as they have been the last three+ years. Too reliant on big plays. Without a healthy Martinez and/or the D playing like it has, NU loses to Iowa State and Oklahoma State and is lucky to be 8-4.

I think people caught up to Nebraska's offense after the first month. Martinez getting hurt didn't help. But every time I see a run based, spread option attack go up against a good defense (or at least a defense that can stop the run) they struggle. A team has to be able to make plays in the passing game. If they dare you to throw it you have to take advantage. Oregon can do that which makes them dangerous. Auburn can do it too. Michigan couldn't do it as well and Nebraska didn't look good in obvious passing situations either.