PDA

View Full Version : Player's Weight in NCAA Football 11

Rudy
11-23-2010, 04:51 PM
Using Jeff Cross's prospect file from the powerhouse dynasty I was looking at the OL weight vs. their ratings. Weight is NOT correlated to the ratings or caliber/ranking in any way for OL in NCAA 11. We all know that weight doesn't do anything for gameplay as the blocking interactions are 100% based on ratings alone. But at least tie the weight to the ratings so it feels more realistic. Make that road grading OL at least look like a road grader and don't have him weigh 268 pounds. Right now the weight of the player is 100% random. Given that a physics based momentum system is admittedly years away (perhaps a new console away) we should at least get a better representation of weight to ratings in the game. So here's my solution.

After a recruit's ratings are generated, use those ratings to determine the weight. Note that run block footwork is strongly correlated with run block strength. Pass block footwork is strongly correlated with pass block strength. So let's just use strength, pass block, run block and speed to generate weight (can add more categories later if desired but this is a good start).

The median strength, run block and pass block ratings are 75 so use those as the base (numerical ratings assumed based on letter grades). The median speed rating is 65. Set the base weight at 285 for Center, 290 for Guard and 295 for Tackle.

The Calculator will assume stronger players are heavier, better pass blockers are lighter and better run blockers are heavier. Use a factor (0.25 to keep weights in line) to adjust weights up and down. Use a random number generator (+/- 10 lbs) to maintain some differences.

I have attached the calculator for you to see and play with. I have also attached the findings from the prospect list in an adobe file for your viewing (the ratings are assumed based on their alpha grade). DL behaves similarily as well. I'd love to at least recruit bigger LBs and DEs for my 3-4 and know they would probably be stronger against the run.

Oneback
11-23-2010, 08:08 PM
I completely agree with what you've got but I'd also like randomness, guys like Suh were both lighter and really strong and you've also got the big softies as well. As a general rule though I like what you've got.

Rudy
11-24-2010, 03:58 PM
Well I assumed weight was still relevant at running back but I was completely wrong. Weight is again a simple random number and it appears that is the same way for all the positions that I have looked at. There is no correlation with weight and the other attributes. In NCAA 11 they can generate a recruit who is 170 pounds but plays like a thumper. Or you can make a 235 pound RB a quick player out there. I know there are some anomolies in sports but the smaller the RB the less likely he is going to run over you. He's more likely to run around you. The findings are ridiculous imo.

When you look at the average speed, agility, acceleration, strength, trucking, spins, jukes, stiff arms, etc., they are all the same across the various weight categories. Weight is 100% meaningless! They can at least generate the weight based on the kids attributes so they look more realistic.

I've attached another pdf file for the results and here is an updated Excel file where you can type in a RB's numbers and see what weight I suggest they be.

cdj
11-24-2010, 08:21 PM
Good stuff, Rudy.

I am not sure, but I believe that the ratings for each new recruit are not generated but rather all recruits are already individually made and the game pulls X out for each recruiting class. If that is correct, I am not sure if Height/Weight is attached or if random physical templates are combined with the ratings template.

Having players play to their general physical stereotype would be a small, but very cool and effective touch for the franchise.

Rudy
11-24-2010, 08:40 PM
You can view the page at http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/content.php?301-Player-s-Weight-in-NCAA-Football-11

*** Added to Community Spotlight page.

JeffHCross
11-25-2010, 10:49 PM
I am not sure, but I believe that the ratings for each new recruit are not generated but rather all recruits are already individually made and the game pulls X out for each recruiting class. They're pre-made, but they're also modified when the recruiting class is generated. So while the template might have 87 SPD and 90 ACC, the player might end up with 84 SPD and 93 ACC, for example. Not sure if those numbers are at all accurate, but that's my understanding for how the process works. It's not like NFL Head Coach or Madden where EVERY player in the draft classes are pre-made and do not change.

Rudy
11-26-2010, 03:01 AM
I got a template with exact numbers from Pocketscout and I tested those vs. the letter grades. I don't know if those numbers move at all but there is simply no correlation between weight and attributes which is just wrong. It can't be a one to one relationship as everyone is different but there needs to be some correlation there.

Here is a couple sets of graphs showing the correlation between weight for HBs and OL. I included a couple histograms to show the bell curve for HBs as well (weight and speed). Edit - going to see if I can load them somewhere else - too big for here.

http://www.4shared.com/document/VPtekhbS/HB_GRAPHS.html
http://www.4shared.com/document/x600EpnX/OL_GRAPHS.html

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
11-26-2010, 01:36 PM
i think the weight thing should be tied in MOST OF ALL for OL/DL in the agility rating... because any set of sliders i use other than my speedy heisman set, i can do read options and watch a DL lunge at the RB, plant and tackle me from behind with a regular QB, and even a slightly higher rated QB in ACC, now it doesnt happen that much with speedy QB's but sometimes still does... the momentum is great on start stop straight ahead, but ive noticed that sometimes the side to side agility isnt affected that much... maybe its just me though...

"E"