PDA

View Full Version : NCAA 11 and weekly momentum

jaymo76
11-12-2010, 10:10 PM
I saw a thread at OS and I thought it was interesting so I figured I would bring it up here. Essentially the PREMISE is that NCAA 11 has week-to-week momentum. In other words, how well you play one week will impact the next. So if you are struggling badly one week that may transcend into the next week.

At first I thought this was ridiculous. I have never heard the devs mention this and I didn't beleive. However, I thought back to last season where I dropped two straight games and played poorly for three straight games. Were my gaming skills off for those weeks or does this theory have a bit of substance??? I still don't think there is week-to-week momentum in this game... BUT... I am curious as to the feelings/consensus of the Tailgate community. This community is highly NCAA educated unlike OS... so what do you guys think???

JeffHCross
11-12-2010, 10:24 PM
Yes ... and no.

No, the game does not have momentum, literally. However, the game does have Hotstreaks and, I believe, some semblance of "cold" performances. If you happen to have few "Hotstreak" players on your team, whereas your opponents several weeks in a row are filled with them, you may struggle.

Overall though, I'd have to go with no.

souljahbill
11-13-2010, 10:29 AM
I know there will be at least 2 or 3 games a season where my team plays like utter crap. Can't block. Can't catch. Can't tackle. Can't hold onto the ball. Games where I'm yelling at imaginary players to "man up." It never fails. Those are either the games I lose or have some kind of miracle comeback or something. It seems to be kinda random too. One game, I'll blow out a team that's just as good or better then mine. The next week, I'll actually struggle against the bottom of the barrel. I can't explain it but it doesn't seem to be a seasonal momentum type of thing.

jaymo76
11-13-2010, 11:37 AM
I know there will be at least 2 or 3 games a season where my team plays like utter crap. Can't block. Can't catch. Can't tackle. Can't hold onto the ball. Games where I'm yelling at imaginary players to "man up." It never fails. Those are either the games I lose or have some kind of miracle comeback or something. It seems to be kinda random too. One game, I'll blow out a team that's just as good or better then mine. The next week, I'll actually struggle against the bottom of the barrel. I can't explain it but it doesn't seem to be a seasonal momentum type of thing.

It almost sounds like you are saying "that which should not be spoken..." : Scripted games. lol. I totally see what you are saying though. There is usually one big upset week on the schedule where a couple of top 25's lose games which they shouldn't. That is suually the week during the season that I find incredibly difficult to win. Is that coinicidence or something more?

jaymo76
11-13-2010, 11:40 AM
Yes ... and no.

No, the game does not have momentum, literally. However, the game does have Hotstreaks and, I believe, some semblance of "cold" performances. If you happen to have few "Hotstreak" players on your team, whereas your opponents several weeks in a row are filled with them, you may struggle.

Overall though, I'd have to go with no.

Jeff, I see what you are saying. However, it seems to me that "hot streaks" are far, far less prominent this year. Last year most of my team was on a hot streak at one point or another. After my second week game I checked and ZERO players had a hot streak. I go into LSU and then Boise, beat LSU 33-31 in the last minute and destroy Boise 44-14. My QB has over 500 yards passing, my starting WR has 17 catches for almost 300 yards, and my starting RB has 20 carries for 137 yards and 4 td's versus Boise. How is it that nobody on my team is on a hot streak???

Rudy
11-13-2010, 09:55 PM
I don't think the game has this. I'm not sure I want it either. College kids can surprise you any week with a good or bad performance. I like hot/cold streaks for players which can impact things long term. I'd like to see morale in dynasty mode which could impact this further.