PDA

View Full Version : Is Kinect = Big Brother?

JBHuskers
11-12-2010, 09:35 AM
Twitter: G4TV

The Kinect may start watching you to target advertising. Does that creep you out? http://bit.ly/cZOi8b

UGA14
11-12-2010, 10:54 AM
Twitter: G4TV

The Kinect may start watching you to target advertising. Does that creep you out? http://bit.ly/cZOi8b

Can you opt in or out? I don't have one and won't. This is stupid and overbearing. I do not want my Kinect learning about what is happening IN MY HOUSE and sending that information back to a server to be stored and kept. No thank you.

AustinWolv
11-12-2010, 11:07 AM
UGA, just keep your bestiality stuff in another room.

psuexv
11-12-2010, 11:38 AM
This seems to be a little over the top. They almost have to have an opt in option.

JBHuskers
11-12-2010, 12:07 PM
UGA, just keep your bestiality stuff in another room.

:D

cdj
11-12-2010, 12:48 PM
It's Microsoft, what did people expect?

Seriously though, I've heard that the PS3 and 360 both track 'way more than you know.' Though, there's a fine line between seeing the MP3s/videos on my HD (guessing they can see that, not sure) and actual video of the inside of my home. That's very invasive.

psuexv
11-12-2010, 12:53 PM
It's Microsoft, what did people expect?

Seriously though, I've heard that the PS3 and 360 both track 'way more than you know.' Though, there's a fine line between seeing the MP3s/videos on my HD (guessing they can see that, not sure) and actual video of the inside of my home. That's very invasive.

Completely agree... it's like Google tracking what's in my emails to market to me, but actually monitoring real life in my living room just seems to cross a line.

JBHuskers
11-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Completely agree... it's like Google tracking what's in my emails to market to me, but actually monitoring real life in my living room just seems to cross a line.

Just a tad.

steelerfan
11-12-2010, 12:59 PM
If someone wants to watch me behind closed doors, they'll get what they deserve. :sick:

JBHuskers
11-12-2010, 01:00 PM
If someone wants to watch me behind closed doors, they'll get what they deserve. :sick:

:D

morsdraconis
11-12-2010, 03:05 PM
Just turn the camera to face a wall or cover it up or something.

It's total bullshit and I completely agree that it's crossing a major line though.

CLW
11-12-2010, 03:11 PM
All this shizzle scares me personally. Google, MS, Facebook, etc... I think we crossed the line along time ago and unfortunately "privacy" as we once knew it is DEAD. 1984/Minority Report here we come.

JeffHCross
11-12-2010, 08:53 PM
1984/Minority Report here we come.There's a slight difference there. Those were about the government invading privacy. Now we're talking about private companies, who are not restricted in what they do with the information, having it.

Honestly, I'd be less concerned if it was the government, strange as that sounds.

CLW
11-13-2010, 08:06 AM
There's a slight difference there. Those were about the government invading privacy. Now we're talking about private companies, who are not restricted in what they do with the information, having it.

Honestly, I'd be less concerned if it was the government, strange as that sounds.

You think these private companies don't/won't/can't share that info with the Government? - Just Google Obama Google

JeffHCross
11-13-2010, 12:53 PM
You think these private companies don't/won't/can't share that info with the Government?Oh, I know they will. I guess I wasn't clear ... I'd be less concerned if it's only the government doing Big Brother type things. I have a reasonable idea of knowing what the government will/won't do with our information. I have no clue what Google, Facebook, or M$ would do with my information.

CLW
11-13-2010, 02:38 PM
Oh, I know they will. I guess I wasn't clear ... I'd be less concerned if it's only the government doing Big Brother type things. I have a reasonable idea of knowing what the government will/won't do with our information. I have no clue what Google, Facebook, or M$ would do with my information.

That's funny b/c the private companies doesn't bother me. They want the info so they can make more $ with targeted advertising. Say I have a boat load of Nike products that Kinect can see. All of a sudden MS starts sending me Nike advertisements. I can buy it or not.

The government wants the info so that they can perform social engineering and "nudge" people to do "more desireable" behaviors b/c we the people are just too dumb to know what is good for us.

JeffHCross
11-13-2010, 03:23 PM
That's funny b/c the private companies doesn't bother me. They want the info so they can make more $ with targeted advertising. Say I have a boat load of Nike products that Kinect can see. All of a sudden MS starts sending me Nike advertisements. I can buy it or not.Assuming that's the only thing they do with it, I agree with you, I'm okay with it. But that information tends to be shared, or at least can be. That's where I start to get a little concerned.

morsdraconis
11-13-2010, 11:40 PM
The thing is, marketing beyond getting your name out there is pretty much proven to not actually mean anything.

Targeted marketing is even worse and even more of a waste of money.

These marketing firms are making hundreds of millions of dollars off these companies because they actually believe that a commercial with some fine piece of ass is going to get me to buy a fuckin' Coke or a Pepsi or whatever. I'm not going to buy your product unless I actually like your product. Not because some stupid cunt told me to. I buy Mountain Dew because I like the taste of it and I'm a fat piece of shit that likes to drink something that'll take another 2 or 3 seconds off of my life. Not because some dumb ass "Xtreme" fucknut likes it.

Marketing can suck a big shlong.

SmoothPancakes
11-14-2010, 12:36 AM
The thing is, marketing beyond getting your name out there is pretty much proven to not actually mean anything.

Targeted marketing is even worse and even more of a waste of money.

These marketing firms are making hundreds of millions of dollars off these companies because they actually believe that a commercial with some fine piece of ass is going to get me to buy a fuckin' Coke or a Pepsi or whatever. I'm not going to buy your product unless I actually like your product. Not because some stupid cunt told me to. I buy Mountain Dew because I like the taste of it and I'm a fat piece of shit that likes to drink something that'll take another 2 or 3 seconds off of my life. Not because some dumb ass "Xtreme" fucknut likes it.

Marketing can suck a big shlong.

Amen, amen, amen.

CLW
11-14-2010, 01:41 PM
Assuming that's the only thing they do with it, I agree with you, I'm okay with it. But that information tends to be shared, or at least can be. That's where I start to get a little concerned.

Yeah I'm sure MS would share/sell the info they have to the product manufacturers. I.e. they see you have X Brand couch in your room. They sell that bit of info they have on you to that manufacturer which leads to the manufacturer sending you ads.

To me there isn't really anything a private company can do to me other than try to sell me their product. The government on the other hand has the power/ability to try to change/alter my behavior.

steelerfan
11-14-2010, 04:49 PM

Ding, ding, ding!!!

morsdraconis
11-14-2010, 07:13 PM
Glad to see I'm not the only one that's sick of all the marketing bullshit.

gschwendt
11-14-2010, 11:23 PM
Not related to advertising but I will say that this is pretty freaking cool:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/14/hack-turns-kinect-into-mindblowing-3d-video-capture-tool/

morsdraconis
11-14-2010, 11:35 PM
That is some seriously kick ass stuff. That's my favorite part about these products. People break the hell out of them with open source software/drivers and user them for things they're not supposed to be used for. ALWAYS interesting.

JeffHCross
11-15-2010, 07:35 PM
Not hugely surprising. Microsoft bought a company called 3DV Systems, that was making a product that's extremely similar to Kinect. Since Kinect was developed "internally", I have to imagine they're similar technology. 3DV's product had a lot of interfaces and people were using it in a multitude of ways, so I wouldn't be surprised if some of those interfaces still exist.