PDA

View Full Version : 4-3 Defense

Schauwn
05-17-2010, 03:15 PM
I guess I'll get this thread started. Up until about a month ago I used a 4-3 defense because I only played offline and it didn't really matter against the CPU. However, right about that time I joined a OD and my first game was against a guy that did speed option and tosses on me all game, eventually leading to my defeat. Because of this, I told myself I wouldn't be susceptible to those kind of plays again and adopted a 3-4 (I really would like to play with a 4-2-5 or 3-3-5 but the screwed up man assignments piss me off). Well anyways, I was hoping to just get some insight on how/if other people run a 4-3 to gain some perspective or to find out if its a completely helpless D against other users. Any input is helpful, thanks.

Rudy
05-17-2010, 04:00 PM
I find running a 4-3 defense boring anymore. I love running the 3-4 and the variety of blitzes I can run out of it. It's more flexible, has more variety and bottom line is more fun. When I first started using it, it took me a little bit to adjust. You have to really slant and be careful how you defend against the run but once you get used to it you will love it. I would recommend using a Multiple D defense or only using the 3-4 defense against weak opponents until you adjust.

Schauwn
05-17-2010, 04:10 PM
Dont get me wrong, I enjoy running the 3-4 and I've had some success using it so far. I just know the 4-3 A LOT better and know how to work with it and where everyone should be, etc., was just wondering if possible at all to run 4-3 vs users

starter
05-20-2010, 09:23 AM
I use the 4-3. What is the issue? Stopping the run, pressure, zone defense?

Schauwn
05-20-2010, 10:23 AM
well that game specifically I couldn't stop the toss plays to the outside and the unbalanced formations...

starter
05-20-2010, 10:42 AM
I played the 4-3 in the MWK dynasty. One thing I like to do is re-blitz both DT. For some reason this helps against the inside run allowing me focus on the outside run and pass. I use the MLB. I take a couple steps back from the ball and sprint from sideline to sideline against the outside run.
Also, I use 4-3 under. I like to have the 3 technique to the strong side of the offense. Then I hide behind the 1 technique with the MLB. The re-blitzed 1 techniquw keeps the OL off of me and allows me to scrape and fill. This also puts the DE against the TE. If your DE has good STR, he can control the TE and set the edge.

If you have good talent, the 4-3 is pretty good. In the MWK OD, Pitt had a great D-line. I was able to get presure with the front 4 and could stop the run with the front 7. I won 2 National Championship games against users without blitzing. I think its all about influencing the blocking with the DT's and moving the MLB. I also think Str in the most important rating for D-lineman.

Schauwn
05-20-2010, 10:45 AM
I like to have the 3 technique to the strong side of the offense. Then I hide behind the 1 technique with the MLB. The re-blitzed 1 techniquw keeps the OL off of me and allows me to scrape and fill. This also puts the DE against the TE. If your DE has good STR, he can control the TE and set the edge.

Im in the dynasty now, actually my first game in there after you left was the reason I felt like I had to abandon the 4-3.

Forgive my ignorance but I dont know what the part I quoted means. Is that another way of saying Cover-3 and Cover-1? I've never played or coached football, everything I know is from watching TV, playing this game, and reading online (honestly alot from the forums here and at Utopia too)...

AustinWolv
05-20-2010, 10:55 AM
He's talking about where the DTs line up.
3-tech is outside shoulder of the G. 1-tech is your anchor and lines up over the center for the most part.
http://football.calsci.com/DefensiveLine.html

Schauwn
05-20-2010, 10:58 AM
oh ok, thanks

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
05-20-2010, 11:05 AM
(honestly alot from...Utopia too)...

eek thats a major reason... lol

anyways... when he says 3 Technique, hes talking about DL positions... the way they are numbered for gaps and head up, this can change quite a bit from coach to coach but i teach it this way which is the "standard way"

i know the 7-6-9-----8 thing seems awkward, but its just one of those football things... this will help you know what were talking about though...

"E"

Schauwn
05-20-2010, 11:23 AM
when I said Utopia, I mainly meant you...so you insulted yourself :)

maybe I can find someone to lab with and practice the 4-3...

starter
05-20-2010, 11:32 AM
For the purposes of NCAA10 the 3-technique is DT on the outside shoulder of the guard. The 1-technique is the DT line up on the outside shoulder of the center. The 1-technique basically tries to force a double team with the center and guard, and the 3-technique tries to force the double team between the other guard and tackle. That leave me (MLB) unblocked. I can run wild and free! But it's not that simple, because an incorrect "fit" leaves large holes. Filling with the correct shoulder is the key. I'm having a hard time articulating it. Perhaps others with a better vocabulary better explain.

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
05-20-2010, 11:47 AM
when I said Utopia, I mainly meant you...so you insulted yourself :)

maybe I can find someone to lab with and practice the 4-3...

i thought you meant in general, there really isnt much in depth about the game that hits the mark over there... there are some that can really discuss the X's & O's... but my comment doesnt count if you were talking about me lol

as for starter's post, that works well, to play the middle, i just prefer 4-2-5 for leverage... b/c i can still play it as an under/over style but dont sacrifice leverage for speed/load options, tosses etc... i dont knock the 4-3, but its just not my choice...

"E"

Schauwn
05-20-2010, 11:52 AM
ive been experimenting lately with the 3-3-5 and the 4-2-5 with moderate success, just dont like some of the things involved in it...

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
05-20-2010, 12:02 PM
just dont like some of the things involved in it...

can you expound? i run it a good bit and Jeff is really good at it...

"E"

JeffHCross
05-20-2010, 12:17 PM
Haha. Oneback is the master, I'm just lucky. Or persistent/stubborn. I actually have no clue what I'm doing half the time (look at the results of my game against Snoop for an example of that), but I guess I have picked up on some things over the last two years. I have practically been running nothing but 4-2-5 since the middle of the NCAA 09 release period.

Schauwn
05-20-2010, 12:53 PM
mainly the problem with man coverage alignment. I also don't like being able to get good 2 deep coverage, but maybe I'm just not using it yet...

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
05-20-2010, 12:57 PM
Oneback is the master

i had a harder time with you than him... but i played a lock down D game on him, actually used my 4-2-5, and vs. you chose 3-3-5 at the last second, b/c i was worried about that gators roster and had never played you before...

"E"

JeffHCross
05-20-2010, 01:36 PM
mainly the problem with man coverage alignment. I also don't like being able to get good 2 deep coverage, but maybe I'm just not using it yet...The man coverage alignment is a problem, but you learn to deal with it. Very few times has it actually cost me anything. Plus, through practice and experience you'll begin to notice that most of the time the backside SS (the one that moves to the center of the formation) will lock onto a player closer to him, rather than the one his man-line indicated (i.e. a TE rather than the slot WR).

2 deep, I've honestly given up on. Both in the 4-2-5 and overall. Too many guys in this game can exploit that extremely well. But I'll call it now and then for a change-up.

Deuce
05-20-2010, 02:12 PM
Dang! I really need to play some games online. I don't feel I even have to use strategy against the CPU. I'd prolly get smoked if/when I play online. Reading this thread makes me realize what I'm missing.

morsdraconis
05-24-2010, 06:31 PM
I used to be nothing but a 4-3 person but recently changed to the 3-4 in '10 because of the ability to more easily stop the pass (since this game is so completely pass driven) and I just seem to play with teams where the 3-4 better fits my personnel.

I never have any problems with the 4-3 stopping outside runs, but with the 4-3, I rarely play cover 3 zone coverage so my corners are almost always at the line of scrimmage either in man or cover 2. I also regularly more my line toward the strong side of the formation and then my linebackers based on the play (blitzing with the ROLB or LOLB then I move them toward that side or if it's an overload then I'll overload the weak side most often while slanting the line toward the strong side or out). I also regularly move my line to the strong side of the formation (be that the unbalanced weakside or the strong side with the TE if it's just normal I-formation) and then spread my linebackers out (especially if I'm playing straight Cover 2 or to change up my blitz looks).

I'm not one to use overload blitzes as effectively as some other players, but even just the threat of bringing an overload usually causes the other team to think about it and change their play in some way (be that keeping the HB/FB/TE to block or giving himself a man beater go to route that I can then key in on) so it's a win/win for me.

Mainly my only issue with it is the inability to play good Cover 3 defense and still get good pressure and and variations of Cover 3 is what always makes it the hardest on human players to throw the ball.

jaymo76
05-24-2010, 08:44 PM
Personally I have always been a 4-3 guy but the outs and slants in 10 (and Madden as well) are really tough to deal with. Now what I am doing is staying with a 4-3 but recruiting faster and smaller DE's. Pretty much every time I think there will be a pass play I put one or two of my DE's into a zone... works pretty well IF you recruit well for the scheme.

irishfbfan1
06-21-2010, 09:18 PM
Being a 3-4 guy, and a stack user it has been difficult for me using the demo because it is all 4-3, no 3-4. I don't dislike the 4-3, just never have ran it, I did however find a nice defensive play,

4-3 smoke mid zone in the over package? anybody use it? only play I know in the 4-3 other than the cov 3 and cov 2 sets, but this smoke mid zone is good stuff!!

morsdraconis
06-21-2010, 10:17 PM
Being a 3-4 guy, and a stack user it has been difficult for me using the demo because it is all 4-3, no 3-4. I don't dislike the 4-3, just never have ran it, I did however find a nice defensive play,

4-3 smoke mid zone in the over package? anybody use it? only play I know in the 4-3 other than the cov 3 and cov 2 sets, but this smoke mid zone is good stuff!!

Never used it but I'll definitely have to give it a try. I used to use nothing but the 4-3 but it's been like 2 years since the last time I've even used the 4-3 (3-4 for the most part) so I'm REALLY rusty and been struggling as well.

Schauwn
06-22-2010, 10:35 AM
smoke mid zone, is that the play where 2 of LB's blitz and the other goes into a hook zone? if so, then that play is great in certain situations, TE's going on a streak kills it though...

starter
06-29-2010, 08:30 AM
I play alot of cover3 in the 4-3. I use the MLB to correct to hook zone flaw! I throw in some man 2, man 1, and some zone blitzes. I rarely send the house and leave my CBs alone. We can lab when 11 comes out. Locomotion is going to foce users to be more discipline.

"NO FASLE STEPS"
-coach Willy Burks