PDA

View Full Version : Random College Football Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

JBHuskers
10-29-2010, 03:48 PM
MSU opens the 2012 season against Boise State in Spartan Stadium on Fri., Aug. 31 as part of a 3-game series: http://tinyurl.com/26tlkmy

HWill
11-04-2010, 05:03 PM
NCAA investigating recruitment of Cam Newton: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5765214&campaign=rss&source=twitter&ex_cid=Twitter_espn_5765214

JBHuskers
11-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Duke suspends tailgating due to Boston College teen found passed out in a port-a-potty LOL

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2010/11/duke-suspends-tailgating-at-football-game-after-teen-found-unconscious-last-week/1

HWill
11-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Rumors going around that Cam Newton will be suspended. Vegas has stopped taking bets on UGA/Auburn.

JBHuskers
11-10-2010, 11:54 AM
This whole Cam Newton thing is ridiculous.

morsdraconis
11-10-2010, 11:06 PM

I can't help but find it hilarious. I hope more and more of this shit gets out cause we all know it's happening, they just never talk about it.

The NCAA needs to stop acting like these kids aren't semi-pro already and just stop with this whole not getting paid thing and just turn football and basketball into minor league stuff like baseball and be done with it already.

AustinWolv
11-11-2010, 07:13 AM
Which sucks for all the other sports teams' athletes who wouldn't get any cheese.

Better yet, just hammer the entire SEC.....the worst about cheating of any conf out there.

cdj
11-12-2010, 07:32 AM

I'm not sure what to think on this whole mess.

In the past, it seems that usually where there is smoke, there is fire. However, are there people and websites who will lie and defame people for their own benefit? You bet and I could probably name one or two, if forced. :D

The nature of the story seems like it has legs, but the timing makes it seem bogus. ESPN's "coverage" has been tabloid-esque at best and makes it worse.

JeffHCross
11-12-2010, 09:01 PM
In the past, it seems that usually where there is smoke, there is fire.Whenever I read this, I think of the quote about John Calipari last year. "With Calipari, there's so much smoke, you can't see the fire".

JeffHCross
11-12-2010, 10:23 PM
And things are getting even worse for Cam Newton ...

From Rivals: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-auburnnerves111110
Rogers, in his lengthy radio interview that featured his attorney on the line, said Cecil Newton had told him that there was a price tag on signing Cam out of Blinn (Texas) Junior College – “between $100,000 and $180,000.”

More importantly, Rogers described a meeting between himself, Cecil Newton and two Mississippi State coaches his lawyer didn’t allow to be named.

“What I can say on Nov. 27, (2009), me, Mr. (Cecil) Newton and two (Mississippi State) coaches were sitting at the Hilton Garden Inn in Starkville,” said Rogers, who runs a recruiting service out of Atlanta. “And I can’t really can’t (sic) remember how Mr. Newton stated this, but however he said it, one of the coaches was like, ‘No, no, I don’t want to hear that. No, no, don’t hear that’ as if money was brought up or it was going to take money to get him.”

And from the USA Today: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2010/11/report-cam-newtons-dad-admits-he-sought-money-from-mississippi-state/1
Cecil Newton Sr., the father of Auburn quarterback Cam Newton, has admitted to seeking money from a former Mississippi State player in exchange for his son signing with the school, according to a TV station in Atlanta.

A person told a reporter at WSB-TV that Newton Sr. said he received no money and the conversations did not involve Mississippi State officials. Newton Sr. also stressed that Cam Newton or his mother was unaware of the discussions.

cdj
11-12-2010, 11:38 PM
And from the USA Today: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2010/11/report-cam-newtons-dad-admits-he-sought-money-from-mississippi-state/1
Cecil Newton Sr., the father of Auburn quarterback Cam Newton, has admitted to seeking money from a former Mississippi State player in exchange for his son signing with the school, according to a TV station in Atlanta.

A person told a reporter at WSB-TV that Newton Sr. said he received no money and the conversations did not involve Mississippi State officials. Newton Sr. also stressed that Cam Newton or his mother was unaware of the discussions.

From what I understand of the rules, this means Cam is done. I don't know how you prove he didn't know what was going on and I believe that any family member/rep who discusses money with a program automatically causes said player to be ineligible. If Cam had no clue, this is a really, really sad story should he get ruled ineligible.

There was a lot of smoke and the fire is starting to build. It went from 'Rogers acted alone' to 'I (Cecil) acted alone.'

Rudy
11-13-2010, 05:56 AM
What's really bad is that Cecil is a pastor of a church. He's supposed to represent ethics and morals, not break them.

JeffHCross
11-13-2010, 01:09 PM
From what I understand of the rules, this means Cam is done. I don't know how you prove he didn't know what was going on and I believe that any family member/rep who discusses money with a program automatically causes said player to be ineligible. If Cam had no clue, this is a really, really sad story should he get ruled ineligible.Actually, if it can be proven that Cam had no knowledge of the solicitation, and Auburn had no part in the solicitation (remember, this has allegedly all happened at Mississippi State), then Cam's in the clear ... or at least he could be. The rule is that there can be no solicitation on the behalf of the player. But if the player knew nothing, it can't have been on their behalf.

So there's still some wiggle room here.

cdj
11-13-2010, 01:16 PM
The tough part is proving there was no knowledge (or knowledge) on Cam's part.

What was the speculation/rumor last week? Wasn't it that both Newtons were on the phone or were they considering Cecil talking as speaking for Cam as well?

JeffHCross
11-13-2010, 01:54 PM
What was the speculation/rumor last week? Wasn't it that both Newtons were on the phone or were they considering Cecil talking as speaking for Cam as well?Last week was that there was two separate phone calls. One by Cecil, one by Cam. Cecil's phone call said that there would have to be "more than a scholarship" to go to Miss State. And Cam's was from him to Miss State coaches, basically being apologetic for decommitting and going to Auburn, saying that the "money was too much". Now, it's entirely possible that had something to do with financial aid (Auburn's tuition is higher than Miss State's), but the speculation (and assumption) was that it was about pay-for-play.

Those phone calls seem to be getting ignored lately though.

JeffHCross
11-13-2010, 02:27 PM
ESPN's "coverage" has been tabloid-esque at best and makes it worse.Just to reinforce this ... ESPN's scroll across the bottom just announced in "Breaking News" that Cam Newton will start versus Georgia.

Seriously ... that hasn't been in jeopardy all day. Newton's not allowed to even get on the team bus last night if he's not eligible. So everybody knew he was taking the field today.

cdj
11-14-2010, 08:50 PM
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm315/lsu-pat/makemoneywithauburn.gif

morsdraconis
11-14-2010, 11:19 PM
:D

A-mazing!

steelerfan
11-15-2010, 01:21 PM
What's really bad is that Cecil is a pastor of a church. He's supposed to represent ethics and morals, not break them.

I take it, based on that comment, that you didn't watch the ESPN 30 for 30 last week about Marcus Dupree.

He had a preacher friend too. And that guy fucked him over for his own benefit.

HWill
11-15-2010, 01:37 PM
Great article on the entire situation by Clay Travis from AOL Fanhouse: http://aol.it/bVhpiP

Rudy
11-15-2010, 05:24 PM
I take it, based on that comment, that you didn't watch the ESPN 30 for 30 last week about Marcus Dupree.

He had a preacher friend too. And that guy fucked him over for his own benefit.

I didn't see that but I heard it was really good. I'm going to have to try to find it on the internet.

JBHuskers
11-16-2010, 12:10 AM
I didn't see that but I heard it was really good. I'm going to have to try to find it on the internet.

Yeah I heard it was good too.

steelerfan
11-16-2010, 03:24 AM
Yeah I heard it was good too.

Yep, it was. I missed the beginning, so I'd like to see it again. Pretty lousy the way his talent was mishandled.

JBHuskers
11-16-2010, 08:37 AM
http://www.bustedcoverage.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/scaled1-540x403.jpg

http://www.bustedcoverage.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/corso-whips-his-hair.jpg

http://www.bustedcoverage.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/lebron-sucks-these-nuts.jpg

JeffHCross
11-16-2010, 11:34 PM
Ahhhh, Columbus.

JBHuskers
11-24-2010, 09:49 AM
Ohio State's President:

I do know, having been both a Southeastern Conference president and a Big Ten president, that it's like murderer's row every week for these schools. We do not play the Little Sisters of the Poor. We play very fine schools on any given day.

cdj
11-24-2010, 08:56 PM
Ohio State's President:

If tOSU ends up playing TCU or Boise in a BCS game, that quote is going to end up on their bulletin board for the month leading up to the game and repeated by the talking heads over and over.

JeffHCross
11-24-2010, 10:53 PM
If tOSU ends up playing TCU or Boise in a BCS game, that quote is going to end up on their bulletin board for the month leading up to the game and repeated by the talking heads over and over.President Gee is the man, bar none ... but I wish to hell he hadn't said that. I don't think they'd even need to play us to use that as bulletin board material.

souljahbill
11-27-2010, 09:27 AM
This won't matter to anyone but me but outside of the South Carolina game, Southern Miss could easily be 11-1 if we stopped letting everyone score 40+ points on us.

Lost to East Carolina 44-43
Lost to UAB 50-49
Lost to Tulsa 56-50

Aaaaaaaaaaaah!!! Someone PLEASE get us some defense!

AustinWolv
11-27-2010, 08:20 PM
President Gee is the man, bar none ... but I wish to hell he hadn't said that. I don't think they'd even need to play us to use that as bulletin board material.
Gee lucks into his positions and is a figurepiece for those that really run tOSU.

Aaaaaaaaaaaah!!! Someone PLEASE get us some defense!
That sounds familiar. Sigh....

JeffHCross
11-27-2010, 09:39 PM
Gee lucks into his positions and is a figurepiece for those that really run tOSU.If you mean that he lucked into being the President of the university ... far from it. The university wanted him back, plain and simple. And no matter what else, he's a better representative than President Holbrook (she of the "the football games are a drunken orgy") was or ever would be.

JBHuskers
11-30-2010, 11:24 AM
So who's excited for the Beef O Brady Bowl? :smh:

The Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl? :smh:

I think they should have less bowls and you have to have 7 wins to get in one.

steelerfan
11-30-2010, 01:30 PM

Please tell me Tom Brady has nothing to do with this. :sick:

HWill
11-30-2010, 01:57 PM

The Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl? :smh:

Don't forget about the UDrove Humanitarian Bowl, the BBVA Compass Bowl or the Military Bowl presented by Northrop Grumman. :dunno:

psuexv
11-30-2010, 02:06 PM
Please tell me Tom Brady has nothing to do with this. :sick:

It's not the Vidal Sassoon Rich and Flowing Hair Bowl.

JBHuskers
11-30-2010, 04:06 PM
Bowls are just a joke now...

I guess Beef O Brady is some restaurant chain....I don't wanna know what they serve.

Solidice
11-30-2010, 05:34 PM
or the "San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl" and "Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl". not really funny, but really long.

cdj
11-30-2010, 09:03 PM

It's a good thing that you aren't in charge then! :D

The sponsors are silly, but I'd rather watch two 6-6 teams play than no college football at all. These guys work hard all year and a lot of CFB players don't get to play in a bowl game, so they cherish this even if the fans don't. It is surprising how many bowl sponsors changed in just the last few months. Heck, they made NCAA 11 outdated in that regard and I can't remember that happening before - or at least not to this extent.

NatureBoy
11-30-2010, 10:42 PM
Mock-up South Carolina uniforms. I would piss in my pants if they were real.

http://www.thebestdamnpoll.com/Portals/4/images/ForumImages/Misc/Gamecocks%20Uni's.jpg

JBHuskers
12-01-2010, 08:25 AM
It's a good thing that you aren't in charge then! :D

The sponsors are silly, but I'd rather watch two 6-6 teams play than no college football at all. These guys work hard all year and a lot of CFB players don't get to play in a bowl game, so they cherish this even if the fans don't. It is surprising how many bowl sponsors changed in just the last few months. Heck, they made NCAA 11 outdated in that regard and I can't remember that happening before - or at least not to this extent.

Bowls are extremely watered down....I don't see it as a grand achievement....especially when more than half the schools get into one.

ryby6969
12-01-2010, 08:45 AM
Bowls are just a joke now...

I guess Beef O Brady is some restaurant chain....I don't wanna know what they serve.

It is a sports bar/restaurant here in Florida. Not sure what other states if any it is in.

cdj
12-01-2010, 09:11 AM
I could be wrong, but that doesn't look like a football field. :P

JBHuskers
12-01-2010, 09:17 AM
I could be wrong, but that doesn't look like a football field. :P

Ooops...no coffee yet....was thinking it was just a random college thread :D

JeffHCross
12-04-2010, 01:27 AM
the Military Bowl presented by Northrop Grumman. :dunno:If this one wasn't in DC, I might boycott it just because. :D Darn Northrop.

HWill
12-04-2010, 12:39 PM
SI has a 16-team custom playoff simulator on their site, if you're looking to kill time. I've spent about an hour on it myself:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/ultimate-playoff-2010/?eref=sihp

gschwendt
12-04-2010, 02:40 PM
I don't really want to get into a big playoff argument here, but I'm of the mindset of the top 8 BCS schools into a playoff. Don't mess with every conference champion (FIU doesn't deserve to play against Auburn in a playoff), and 16 makes the regular season mean less IMO. Just use the top 8 teams, all other teams go into the old bowl system. Use 7 big bowl locations for the playoffs with the championship location rotating.

JeffHCross
12-04-2010, 04:07 PM
One thought I had is that if you wanted to give conference champions an automatic berth, you could just give the top X champions an automatic berth. Using this year for example, it'd be much nicer if the top 6 conference champions (i.e including TCU, but not including the Big East champion) had an automatic BCS berth, rather than the Big Six getting auto berths.

gschwendt
12-05-2010, 12:49 PM
Serious question... do other schools have to contend with the soft-hearted "friends of the coach" "fans" that are more concerned with a coach staying because "he's good for the kids"?

Here was a letter to the editor recently in the local paper

Lee should be out

I was sad to hear that Coach Roberts was forced to resign as our coach [at Arkansas State University]. He is a victim of the obsession to win at all costs, I believe.

We have experienced quite a lot of good football in the last few years with his leadership. The young men in the program have been well behaved for the most part. When problems did occur, Coach Roberts handled them very well and professionally. Winning off the field is what is most important not being a top 25 school every year.

I think Dean Lee needs to be forced to resign. He has time and again been a negative force at ASU. He needs to understand that he has failed to be a positive athletic director, doesn’t seem to understand he is the problem, not Coach Roberts.

Coach Roberts is a good man and coach. I am sorry that he has been fired. Thanks, Coach, for being here the last 10 years.

Wins and losses are just stats. Life lived rightly is what is important. I believe that has been Coach Roberts’ legacy.

Sadly, when we fired Dickey Nutt (our basketball coach), we had these same morons talking about how good he was for the kids. If that's the case, hire him to be a youth minister for a church... pay him a coach's salary if you like. So irritating.

morsdraconis
12-05-2010, 01:18 PM
WVU is going through that right now with Bill Stewart and it's fuckin' disgusting and pisses me off to no end. I don't give a rat's ass if he's changing their lives forever, he's not fuckin' there for that. He's there to win games and continue to elevate the program!

cdj
12-05-2010, 01:35 PM
That reminds me of the defense of a poor coach/assistant "Who else would we get?" "Who could do a better job?" "We'll struggle for 3 years while the new coach gets things up to speed." That's like saying a business shouldn't hire the employee who is stealing cash because it'll cost too much to train the new one.

JeffHCross
12-05-2010, 02:58 PM
That's like saying a business shouldn't fire the employee who is stealing cash because it'll cost too much to train the new one.I disagree (assuming you meant fire). The "we'll struggle" argument is more often brought up with coaches who have enjoyed some success, but not reached the level desired by the program. So that's far from someone stealing from the cookie jar ... that's more like a manager who's store is just above breaking even, but isn't as successful as "they should be".

And while every program is different, sometimes the people who say "we'll struggle for 3 years" are right. Especially when there's a major scheme change.

cdj
12-05-2010, 03:09 PM
I see your point JHC, but when people act as if anyone else brought in would automatically do worse and that there may not be anyone else worthy of being hired anywhere, the example begins to fit. It was just an analogy; go with the basic point, man. ;)

JeffHCross
12-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Well, remember, I have limited experience with coaching changes. Practically everyone thought a lot of coaches could do better than John Cooper by his end. I wasn't around for Earle Bruce and the idiocy of his firing.

I will grant that the letter to the editor that G posted is right in one regard ... it is just as important to have a coach teach the boys and turn out good men as it is to have them turn out good victories. But one shouldn't be in detriment to the other. It's a tough balance to find, though.

cdj
12-05-2010, 03:18 PM
That's true - locally, idiotic fans really started emerging out of the woodwork once Osborne retired - coinciding with the rise of internet message boards.

I agree that coaches should be important in maturing and developing the boys into men, but that 'should' be a requirement, no matter the record.

souljahbill
12-05-2010, 03:55 PM

*cough**cough*

I am. 1) It's not the New Orleans Bowl AGAIN (and after last year's game, THANK GOD) AND 2) the one time Southern Miss didn't go to a bowl game in the last 13 or so years happened to be MY senior year as a student trainer. Our kicker missed 2 field goals versus TCU, giving them the victory which in turn increased Nebraska's strength of schedule, putting them in the national championship game versus Miami. I'm still upset that I never got to go to a bowl game.

steelerfan
12-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Dickey Nutt

Rudy
12-05-2010, 06:32 PM
Randy Shannon had the 3rd highest graduation rate of any division I school I think. He also turned around the thug image at Miami and had the program running clean and smart. But nobody cared and he was fired after going 26-22. If you win, you can have the biggest amount of idiots and criminals on your team and nobody cares (see Florida). But if you lose then those secondary things will be brought up against you.

HWill
12-05-2010, 06:54 PM
Temple (8-4) beat UConn (8-4) 30-16... UConn going to BS BCS bowl, Temple passed over for bowl bid...:confused::dunno:

JeffHCross
12-05-2010, 07:42 PM
Randy Shannon had the 3rd highest graduation rate of any division I school I think.Well, some schools are nuts.

cdj
12-15-2010, 04:02 PM
Heisman Trio Photobomb (lsufreek)

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/5707/cecilphotobomb.gif

JBHuskers
12-16-2010, 10:34 AM
Virginia Tech has just sold 6,500 of their 17,500 ticket allotment to the Orange Bowl. In 2008 Tech lost $1.77 million in unsold tickets.

New Mexico bowl has only sold around 8,500 tickets overall.

morsdraconis
12-16-2010, 11:08 AM
And these schools aren't losing money by going to shitty bowls that mean nothing...

JeffHCross
12-18-2010, 01:09 PM
And these schools aren't losing money by going to shitty bowls that mean nothing...Then decline the damn bid.

It's not the shitty bowls that aren't selling ... all the bowls aren't selling. Ohio State didn't sell out their Rose Bowl allotment, and it doesn't look like VT is going to sell their allotment for the Orange Bowl either. The entire system is flawed.

cdj
12-18-2010, 10:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0fS8xLYIVY&feature=player_embedded

Iron Dragon
12-23-2010, 07:20 AM
Ohio State could be down 12 players including Terrelle Pryor, Dan Herron, Brandon Saine, DeVier Posey and others for the Sugar Bowl, according to reports.

psuexv
12-23-2010, 08:09 AM
Ohio State could be down 12 players including Terrelle Pryor, Dan Herron, Brandon Saine, DeVier Posey and others for the Sugar Bowl, according to reports.

Ouch, that could be absolutely devastating.

cdj
12-23-2010, 10:50 AM
Ohio State's Herron, Pryor, Posey, Thomas, Adams to miss 1st 5 games in 2011 (http://twitter.com/#!/marcushartman/status/17984548939763712).

psuexv
12-23-2010, 10:52 AM
Ohio State's Herron, Pryor, Posey, Thomas, Adams to miss 1st 5 games in 2011 (http://twitter.com/#!/marcushartman/status/17984548939763712).

Not that I think he's ready, but if this is going to happen does Pryor jump to the NFL this year?

JBHuskers
12-23-2010, 10:54 AM
Not that I think he's ready, but if this is going to happen does Pryor jump to the NFL this year?

Is he going to be highly regarded in the pros?

cdj
12-23-2010, 10:55 AM
I would think a couple of those guys will take this as a cue to leave early.

Their first game back will be at Big 10 newcomer Nebraska.

JBHuskers
12-23-2010, 10:56 AM
I would think a couple of those guys will take this as a cue to leave early.

Their first game back will be at Big 10 newcomer Nebraska.

Let's make up something to get them suspended one more game :D

psuexv
12-23-2010, 10:57 AM
Is he going to be highly regarded in the pros?

I honestly don't see him being a pro QB but he is a heck of an athlete. Would assume there's a place for him somewhere. And if he is going to change positions in the pros why not do it now if he's going to be out 5 games of next season. IMO nothing to really play for.

Obviously just thinking aloud here!

cdj
12-23-2010, 10:59 AM
Pryor will get drafted and a good shot at QB. He had a good year, but dropped off the radar following the Wisconsin loss, for whatever reason.

From ESPN_BigTen: "Pryor must repay $2,500 for selling his 2008 Big Ten titlering, 009 Fiesta Bowl sportsmanship award and 2008 Gold Pants."

IMO, he's as good as gone now. If he needs money like that, no point in sticking around for a half season.

psuexv
12-23-2010, 11:01 AM
Pryor will get drafted and a good shot at QB. He had a good year, but dropped off the radar following the Wisconsin loss, for whatever reason.

From ESPN_BigTen: "Pryor must repay $2,500 for selling his 2008 Big Ten titlering, 009 Fiesta Bowl sportsmanship award and 2008 Gold Pants."

IMO, he's as good as gone now. If he needs money like that, no point in sticking around for a half season.

The kid sold his trophies? Wow. Yeah if he's that desperate for money he's gone.

psuexv
12-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Let's make up something to get them suspended one more game :D

You might want him to play that game. Probably be really rusty and probably only getting 3rd team reps up to that week.

Rudy
12-23-2010, 11:56 AM
But Pryor probably won't be a first round pick. He would be better off waiting another year and getting a higher pick. Of course that could change depending on how strict a new rookie scale would be. The NFL could really screw this up if they make it too restrictive. If the rookie scale is very low a ton of junior and RS sophomores will start jumping early just to start the free agency clock. That's an issue in the NBA and it would be an issue in the NFL.

morsdraconis
12-23-2010, 12:13 PM
So a rookie who hasn't played a single down in the NFL deserves $50 million?

JeffHCross
12-23-2010, 12:22 PM
But Pryor probably won't be a first round pick. He would be better off waiting another year and getting a higher pick.Yeah, but is a 7 game season that, for all intents and purposes isn't likely to be very good, really going to change people's perceptions of him? I don't think so.

I think it's likely that Pryor, Posey and Herron are gone. Adams is the only one out of that group not likely to jump, but Adams would be in such a doghouse with Coach Tressel that he might just leave the team. Honestly, same problem for the other three ... Tressel's likely to give them a worse punishment, internally.

Chris, here's a better link that your Twitter link: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2010/12/23/1223-six-osu-players-penalized.html?sid=101

EDIT: We're also losing Solmon Thomas (a backup DE this year but I think he was in line to be a starter next year) for five games and Jordon Whiting, who I think was in a similar depth chart position to Thomas, but at LB, for just the first game.

JeffHCross
12-23-2010, 12:26 PM
As part of their reinstatement, Adams must repay $1,000 for selling his 2008 Big Ten championship ring and Herron must repay $1,150 for selling his football jersey, pants and shoes for $1,000 and receiving discounted services worth $150.

Posey must repay $1,250 for selling his 2008 Big Ten championship ring for $1,200 and receiving discounted services worth $50, while Pryor must repay $2,500 for selling his 2008 Big Ten championship ring, a 2009 Fiesta Bowl sportsmanship award and his 2008 Gold Pants, a gift from the university.

Solomon must repay $1,505 for selling his 2008 Big Ten championship ring for $1,000, his 2008 Gold Pants for $350 and receiving discounted services worth $155.Idiots.

HWill
12-23-2010, 01:27 PM
:smh: at the entire situation.

cdj
12-23-2010, 01:52 PM
Former tOSU RB Antoniopittman (http://twitter.com/#!/Antoniopittman): This osu tattoo stuff is silly. Cats been gettin hookups on tatts since back in 01

Probably not the best defense I've read of the situation. :D

Current Buckeye Michael Brewster is more on-target: Why couldn't we get the investigators that handled the auburn case?? (http://twitter.com/#!/Brewster50/status/18010230776401920)

JeffHCross
12-23-2010, 02:22 PM
:D :D :D

TonyGerdeman
Can't blame players for selling Gold Pants. It's like Scrooge McDuck's vault with those things. They're swimming in them. #Michigan #OSU

JeffHCross
12-23-2010, 02:43 PM
"The policy for suspending withholding conditions (suspensions) for bowl games of NCAA championship competition recognizes the unique opportunity these events provide at the end of a season, and they are evaluated differently from a withholding perspective," Lennon said. "In this instance, the facts are consistent with the established policy."
Anybody else think this is PC/marketing speak for "we know bowls make tons of money, and we want to make sure the top players can play in them". If you want to punish kids, take away the bowl, not playing Eastern Michigan.

HWill
12-23-2010, 03:01 PM
Anybody else think this is PC/marketing speak for "we know bowls make tons of money, and we want to make sure the top players can play in them". If you want to punish kids, take away the bowl, not playing Eastern Michigan.

Exactly, because they know ratings and attendance will be down if one teams' offensive stars aren't playing. As usual with the NCAA, it's about money.

Rudy
12-23-2010, 04:28 PM
So a rookie who hasn't played a single down in the NFL deserves $50 million?

Not sure if that was directed at me but no rookie deserves that. The contracts that Stafford and Bradford got need to be reigned in. However, I do think the NFL has done a great job of spinning the "out of control" rookie contracts when it's really only the Top 5 or so that get those type of crazy contracts. Guys drafted at the end of the first round and beyond typically only get the NFL minimums for base salaries plus some incentives. The big money is all in the signing bonus and the money they get for non guaranteed contracts isn't overpaid at all once you get outside the Top 10 imo. NFL teams make out like bandits on any player drafted in the later rounds because they get paid next to nothing.

My point about having too restrictive a cap is that it will push kids to jump too soon just to start the free agency clock. They need to boost rookie salaries based on years of college experience imo. The top draft pick in the NBA will get less than the average NBA salary. That might be OK now that the NBA draft is nothing but young kids who aren't ready - a situation the NBA helped create. But what incentive is there for a kid like Tim Duncan or Grant Hill to stay in college for 4 years? So they can jump right into the NBA, be an All-Star and make less than the 7th man on the team? The salaries on a rookie wage scale need to adjusted to allow pro-ready seniors a chance to earn more money right away.

JBHuskers
12-29-2010, 11:11 AM
When it comes to College Football we all know that money talks.

NFL game with a 3rd string QB manning the Vikes to victory over the Eagles garnered SEVEN times the rating of the two bowl games last night.

Playoffs anyone?

Rudy
12-29-2010, 11:15 AM
The good bowl games don't really start until New Year's. The teams in the bowl games last night wouldn't be in any form of a playoff so that doesn't really count.

JBHuskers
12-29-2010, 12:03 PM
I doubt that any bowl is going to come close to reaching 14 in the ratings though...

JBHuskers
12-29-2010, 12:56 PM
Sarkisian: The best-coached FB team we played all year was Nebraska. That would include Oregon, by the way.

JeffHCross
12-29-2010, 02:28 PM
I doubt that any bowl is going to come close to reaching 14 in the ratings though...The National Championship game regularly beats a 14 (http://www.bcsfootball.org/news/story?id=4819384), but that's a given. A couple Rose Bowls and the Ohio State-Notre Dame Fiesta Bowl also came close.

But considering that Redskins/Cowboys (the opening Sunday Night game of the season) garnered a 16.6 ... well, I think comparing ratings for college football and pro football are basically apples to oranges. And you certainly can't extrapolate that and say that CFB playoffs would come anywhere close to the NFL playoffs, or even beat the BCS as it is.

All BCS games that have garnered a 13 or higher (* is championship game that wasn't called a championship game):

BOWL YEAR TEAMS RATING
1. Rose Bowl 2006 Texas-USC 21.7 *
2. Orange Bowl 2001 Florida State-Oklahoma 17.8 *
3. Sugar Bowl 2000 Florida State-Virginia Tech 17.5 *
4. (tie) Championship Game 2007 Florida-Ohio State 17.4
4. (tie) Championship Game 2008 LSU-Ohio State 17.4
6. (tie) Fiesta Bowl 2003 Ohio State-Miami 17.2 *
6. (tie) Fiesta Bowl 1999 Florida State-Tennessee 17.2 *
8. Championship Game 2010 Texas-Alabama 17.17
9. Championship Game 2009 Florida-Oklahoma 15.8
10. Sugar Bowl 2004 LSU-Oklahoma 14.5 *
11. Rose Bowl 2004 Michigan-USC 14.4
12. Rose Bowl 2000 Wisconsin-Stanford 14.1
13. Rose Bowl 2001 Washington-Purdue 14.0
14. Rose Bowl 2007 USC-Michigan 13.94
15. Rose Bowl 2002 Miami-Nebraska 13.9 *
16. Orange Bowl 2005 USC-Oklahoma 13.7 *
17. Rose Bowl 1999 Wisconsin-UCLA 13.3
18. Rose Bowl 2010 Ohio State-Oregon 13.18

JBHuskers
12-29-2010, 02:31 PM
So three BCS bowl games the past five years that have come close that weren't a championship game.

JeffHCross
12-29-2010, 03:34 PM
Yep. But considering how soundly the NFL beats college football in ratings each and every week ... that's not surprising. Very few casual football fans watch random college football games.

JeffHCross
12-29-2010, 05:01 PM
Maryland is up 44-13 on ECU, 10:00 to go in the 4th quarter, and throwing the ball downfield.

mors, I expect to hear a rant about running up the score. And ... go.

JeffHCross
12-29-2010, 05:15 PM
Surreal moment ... Maryland players give Ralph Friedgen a Powerade-labeled bath (not sure what actually was in there, of course) ... and it gets wiped off with a Gatorade-sponsored towel.

JeffHCross
12-29-2010, 05:23 PM
Yep. But considering how soundly the NFL beats college football in ratings each and every week ... that's not surprising. Very few casual football fans watch random college football games.Just to reinforce this with numbers ... from the 2009-10 television season:
#1 American Idol - Tuesday (Average 22.9 million viewers)
#6 Sunday Night Football (18.7)
#78 ABC Saturday Night Football (6.2)

So the NFL is American Idol to CFB's Jay Leno or Fringe ...

Rudy
12-30-2010, 06:57 AM
The NFL is very different from college. College football is full of tradition and passion. Fan bases support a school because they are often alumni or live nearby and have a deep rooted interest and love for the school. While this makes home games special it also makes college a far more regional sport than the NFL. The NFL can market its stars like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady and sell their jerseys from coast to coast. College football can't do that. It's stars don't stay long before they leave for the NFL. So the sport focuses on the teams. That's why you will always have tremendous local TV ratings for college teams but never great national ones. A playoff wouldn't change that imo.

psuexv
12-30-2010, 08:02 AM
The NFL is very different from college. College football is full of tradition and passion. Fan bases support a school because they are often alumni or live nearby and have a deep rooted interest and love for the school. While this makes home games special it also makes college a far more regional sport than the NFL. The NFL can market its stars like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady and sell their jerseys from coast to coast. College football can't do that. It's stars don't stay long before they leave for the NFL. So the sport focuses on the teams. That's why you will always have tremendous local TV ratings for college teams but never great national ones. A playoff wouldn't change that imo.

Plus the fact that most NFL teams are in major cities vs most college towns that are small + the alumni. Penn State has a fairly large Alumni base and it's only around 500,000 which isn't even close to a small NFL city considering there's only one under 1 million people - http://forum.playactionpools.com/index.php?topic=73.0
(in millions)
:NYJ :NYG New York 19.0
:CHI Chicago 9.6
:DAL Dallas 6.3
:PHI Philadelphia 5.8
:HOU Houston 5.7
:MIA Miami 5.4
:ATL Atlanta 5.4
:WAS Washington D.C. 5.4
:NE Boston 4.5
:DET Detroit 4.4
:ARI Phoenix 4.3
:SF :OAK San Francisco/Oakland 4.3
:SEA Seattle 3.3
:MIN Minneapolis 3.2
:SD San Diego 3.0
:STL St. Louis 2.8
:TB Tampa Bay 2.7
:BAL Baltimore 2.7
:DEN Denver 2.5
:PIT Pittsburgh 2.4
:CIN Cincinnati 2.2
:CLE Cleveland 2.1
:KC Kansas City 2.0
:IND Indianapolis 1.7
:CAR Charlotte 1.7
:TEN Nashville 1.6
:JAC Jacksonville 1.3
:NO New Orleans 1.1
:BUF Buffalo 1.1
:GB Green Bay 0.3 (112 miles north of Milwaukee 1.5 M)

JeffHCross
12-30-2010, 12:56 PM
Agreed, Rudy and exv.

Anybody else think this is PC/marketing speak for "we know bowls make tons of money, and we want to make sure the top players can play in them". If you want to punish kids, take away the bowl, not playing Eastern Michigan.As expected, the real news hit the fan yesterday: http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Sugar-Bowl-CEO-wanted-Ohio-State-Buckeyes-players-eligible-122910

Sugar Bowl CEO Paul Hoolahan lobbied Ohio State University to make sure five of its football players — including star quarterback Terrelle Pryor — would not be suspended for the game against Arkansas, The Columbus Dispatch reported Wednesday.That is a bunch of bullshit.

On the upside, Tressel announced today that the five players will be elligible for next season solely because they pledged to return for their senior season: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2010/12/30/Tressel-says-Pryor-other-sanctioned-juniors-pledge-to-return-for-senior-season.html?sid=101

JBHuskers
12-30-2010, 02:45 PM
LaMichael James has announced he will return to Oregon next season. I'm somewhat surprised he is staying.

psuexv
12-30-2010, 02:46 PM
LaMichael James has announced he will return to Oregon next season. I'm somewhat surprised he is staying.

I wonder if that changes if they win the National Championship.

JeffHCross
12-30-2010, 11:48 PM
One more bullet in this dead horse:

In the out-of-whack world of NCAA rules enforcement, an athlete cannot sell his championship ring without suffering severe consequences but can pocket travel money to a bowl game. The Buckeyes' 85 scholarship players each were allotted an NCAA-approved $1,225.30 for travel expenses to New Orleans. Secure a cheap plane ticket - and some players found fares for less than $300 - or drive down, and the unused money is yours to keep.

morsdraconis
12-31-2010, 04:40 AM
:smh:

The NCAA is so assbackwards it's ridiculous...

JeffHCross
12-31-2010, 11:59 AM
The part I can't figure out is that there's a charter plane for players, coaches, and families. Two charter planes, actually. So are some of them just ... not flying charter? I guess that makes sense, but I assumed the team flew together.

cdj
12-31-2010, 01:23 PM
I remember hearing about that a few years back, but is that rule still in effect? I thought they had tried to rectify that issue in some regard, but I am not sure on that.

JeffHCross
12-31-2010, 03:02 PM
cdj, not sure what you're saying. What rule?

cdj
12-31-2010, 05:46 PM
The travel stipend issue you mentioned in post 101.

Here's what I found:

Most teams headed to a postseason game break for a few days, then reconvene at the bowl site for final practices and pre-game festivities. Subsequently, the NCAA offers a set dollar amount for players who travel individually, and they're allowed to pocket the difference between that number and the actual cost of the trip. This is standard procedure everywhere, including Alabama during the Tide's short trips to Louisiana for the Independence and Sugar bowls the last two seasons.

Last year Alabama declined the travel stipend and went as a team (http://www.dailysportspages.com/forums/index.php?threads/in-an-unprecedented-move-alabama-players-decline-travel-stipend.42679/). I'd guess that the vast majority of teams travel together as well.

cdj
12-31-2010, 05:55 PM
This hire is off to a great start (http://www.wndu.com/hometop/headlines/Former_ND_offensive_coord_new_Pitt_coach_Haywood_a rrested_112730024.html)

NewsCenter 16 has confirmed that Mike Haywood, former Notre Dame player and offensive coordinator and newly-named Pittsburgh coach, has been arrested for domestic violence in South Bend.

St. Joseph County Police say Haywood was arrested around 2:30 p.m. on Friday at a home in the 50000 block of Hawthorne Meadow Drive.

He has a child with the woman living there.

Police say there was a custody issue and the woman attempted to leave.

As she left, police say a physical altercation broke out.

The woman told police Haywood grabbed her by the arm and neck and pushed her.

According to the police report, the woman had red marks on her neck, arms and back.

Mike Haywood was offensive coordinator at Notre Dame under Charlie Weis. He was also a running back for the Irish.

In his second season as coach of Miami of Ohio, Haywood led the Redhawks to a MAC Championship this fall.

Earlier this month, Haywood was named head coach of the University of Pittsburgh Panthers.

JBHuskers
12-31-2010, 06:28 PM
This hire is off to a great start (http://www.wndu.com/hometop/headlines/Former_ND_offensive_coord_new_Pitt_coach_Haywood_a rrested_112730024.html)

and when Pitt takes the field, they will come out to this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BpfydZdTE0

morsdraconis
01-01-2011, 08:37 AM
Awesome.

souljahbill
01-02-2011, 08:52 AM
So, can someone find a chart of next year's (2012) conference alignments? I need to start planning how I'm going to realign every conference (No way am I keeping TCU in the Big East! Ugh!).

Coachdenz
01-02-2011, 01:07 PM
Maryland has chosen UConn's Randy Edsall as head coach
per Joe Schad

JeffHCross
01-02-2011, 01:34 PM
Though Edsall has said that it's not a done deal, and Connecticut is saying that they don't believe he will leave. So Edsall is being targeted, but not a deal.

souljahbill
01-03-2011, 11:33 PM
I think it's asking a player or a coach before or after a game when we'll know their decision on their future is really tacky. Don't ask them when that right after a game! Let 'em celebrate for a minute. The post-game interviews after the Orange Bowl were brutal to watch. Like either Luck or Harbaugh were going to tell ESPN right after the game, "Oh, I'm leaving. Thanks for asking."

morsdraconis
01-04-2011, 03:55 AM
I think it's asking a player or a coach before or after a game when we'll know their decision on their future is really tacky. Don't ask them when that right after a game! Let 'em celebrate for a minute. The post-game interviews after the Orange Bowl were brutal to watch. Like either Luck or Harbaugh were going to tell ESPN right after the game, "Oh, I'm leaving. Thanks for asking."

It's REALLY stupid and I completely agree. Journalism now-a-days is so damn annoying.

JBHuskers
01-04-2011, 02:29 PM
Just saw a posting that the Rose and Orange Bowl ratings are down 18-20%

But good for ESPN LOL, but I'm sure taking it off broadcast TV hurts...plus people are growing more and more tired of the BCS.

JeffHCross
01-04-2011, 07:17 PM
plus people are growing more and more tired of the BCS.Rose Bowl ratings were down from last year, but up from two years ago. So your conclusion doesn't really hold water. ;)

In fact, the Rose Bowl set a record for ESPN for a non-NFL broadcast. Considering what ESPN's had on the air over the years, that's saying a lot.

cdj
01-04-2011, 07:25 PM

Yeah, that was terrible. I wasn't shocked when the MNF crew droned on about it and when Tafoya asked, but was floored when Rece Davis asked Harbaugh on the trophy presentation stage. I thought he would know better, but I guess not.

JeffHCross
01-04-2011, 11:23 PM
I thought he would know better, but I guess not.Unfortunately, I'm sure the producers were in his ear telling him to ask. I'm glad I turned it off before the presentation though, because I would have absolutely hated to see that.

Rudy
01-05-2011, 07:45 PM
Going to cable hurt the ratings. Bowl attendance has been about the same as last year. The BCS usually gets it right. At least they don't let a team with a losing record into their two team playoff.
;)

JBHuskers
01-06-2011, 08:32 AM
Going to cable hurt the ratings. Bowl attendance has been about the same as last year. The BCS usually gets it right. At least they don't let a team with a losing record into their two team playoff.
;)

give it time ;)

JBHuskers
01-06-2011, 12:16 PM
darrenrovell darren rovell

If the Dolphins pay Harbaugh $7 million, only 1 player will make more than him next year, Jake Long, who went to MICHIGAN.

AustinWolv
01-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Did you also know that Ross is a huge MICHIGAN benefactor?

HWill
01-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Andrew Luck is staying at Stanford: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5995754&campaign=rss&source=twitter&ex_cid=Twitter_espn_5995754

JBHuskers
01-06-2011, 02:24 PM
Andrew Luck is staying at Stanford: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5995754&campaign=rss&source=twitter&ex_cid=Twitter_espn_5995754

Whoever said don't be surprised if Luck and Harbaugh stay, could be right.

JeffHCross
01-06-2011, 07:30 PM
I don't think anybody who's really thought it through is surprised that Luck's going to say. He's said that he's enjoying school, his family is not by any means hurting for money, and the guy clearly cares about his degree.

psuexv
01-07-2011, 08:11 AM
I don't think anybody who's really thought it through is surprised that Luck's going to say. He's said that he's enjoying school, his family is not by any means hurting for money, and the guy clearly cares about his degree.

I'm glad to hear he's staying but when you are probably going to go #1 overall it's definitely tough to stay and he's a sharp kid he would be able to finish his degree.

JBHuskers
01-07-2011, 08:48 AM

Yep...he said he'll graduate in the spring of 12 with an architectual degree...can't fault him for any of that. I just don't think I would be able to do that if I had the #1 pick staring me in the face.

baseballplyrmvp
01-07-2011, 09:41 AM
Yep...he said he'll graduate in the spring of 12 with an architectual degree...can't fault him for any of that. I just don't think I would be able to do that if I had the #1 pick staring me in the face.

and like a $50 million guaranteed.....good for him though.

JBHuskers
01-07-2011, 10:35 AM
If this doesn't get you pumped to play....go play badminton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l1HG3KrNBk

cdj
01-07-2011, 11:10 AM
I heard about it, but didn't see that until now. Great speech and cool helmet.

JeffHCross
01-07-2011, 10:41 PM
Treadwell would do well to retain him, I think.

Rudy
01-08-2011, 06:38 AM
Michigan seems to be moving way too slow in their search for a new coach. You would think they would have contacted a bunch of schools and candidates but it doesn't seem like they are doing anything. Almost like they are waiting for people to come to them. If they don't hire a new coach within the next week they will be in serious trouble with this recruiting class. It's not a great class and a bunch of kids re-opened their recruiting process or have said they are leaving. We need a guy in place to bring these kids back and/or get ones that will fit a new system.

JeffHCross
01-08-2011, 10:20 AM
Well, Les Miles was playing a bowl game last night, and I'm pretty confident they didn't want a repeat of the mess from a few years ago. Hoke's agent did a "neither confirm nor deny" on any contact, so I'd think it's safe to say Hoke's been contacted ...

AustinWolv
01-08-2011, 10:30 PM
Rudy, this class was toast over 30 days ago. This coaching search is hardly a cause for what the class was or will be. Worrying about recruiting is the last thing to do with a coaching search, as no player or two or three is more important than setting up the program for long-term success.

Brandon is handling this search just fine; the media and fans are the ones hopping around a sombrero with their panties wedged up too high.

The problem is not Brandon or the search, but all the political stuff deeply seeded.

Rudy
01-09-2011, 06:33 AM
I'm still anxious!

HWill
01-14-2011, 04:04 PM
Good news if you're a Houston Cougar fan: http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/011411aac.html

coogrfan
01-15-2011, 02:19 PM
good news if you're a houston cougar fan: http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/011411aac.html

Kee-num! Kee-num! Kee-num!

:)) :)) :))

UGA14
01-16-2011, 11:40 AM
What a disappointing, horrific season for Georgia. That's one of the hardest I've ever had to watch as a fan. Aaron Murray seems like he's going to be another top-flight quarterback at Georgia, but until we stop underachieving, who cares. We desperately need a back and Isiah Crowell would be a huge recruit - and honestly probably start from day one. The offensive line that was so heralded sucked - Aaron spent most of every game running for his life. The running backs couldn't run from anything - police included. Really sad to see AJ go as he was clearly one of the best receivers to ever step onto the field in Athens. We've lost our entire linebacking group as well. I'm not sure next year will be any better. We have an improved Aaron Murray, nobody to block for him, a defense that loses almost every good player, and our top playmaker on offense is gone.

I'm having a hard time seeing a different result next season. I hope I'm wrong. Else I feel this is the last hoorah for the coaching staff in Athens. Nothing less than an SEC East Championship will do. Fans are restless, boosters are restless, and the fact that half our team is getting arrested each year makes me wonder the character of athletes we are recruiting.

Rudy
01-16-2011, 08:50 PM
Aaron Murray does look like a stud following on the path of Stafford.

JBHuskers
01-17-2011, 09:38 AM
CBSSports CBS Sports

Denard Robinson considered transferring from Michigan - http://bit.ly/DeNard

JBHuskers
01-17-2011, 12:53 PM
JESUS .... dude creates The Horseshoe with LEGOs

http://college-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/27111528

http://college-football.blogs.cbssports.com/images/collegefootball/legostadium.jpg

texacotea
01-17-2011, 05:25 PM
thats awesome

baseballplyrmvp
01-17-2011, 07:11 PM
the sad thing is, is that he probably has to take it apart to get it out of that room. :(

osu should buy that from him

gschwendt
01-17-2011, 07:22 PM
the sad thing is, is that he probably has to take it apart to get it out of that room. :(

osu should buy that from him
The article mentions that it comes apart easily into six pieces.

JeffHCross
01-17-2011, 08:28 PM
osu should buy that from himIt's going on display somewhere on campus ... the Dispatch did an article about it last week. He's going to use it, somehow, to raise money for his research projects at OSU.

JBHuskers
01-17-2011, 09:28 PM
whoever buys stuff to break it, like the iPad when it came out...should buy this then drop it off a 10 story building.

cdj
01-18-2011, 07:53 PM
That's pretty awesome.

whoever buys stuff to break it, like the iPad when it came out...should buy this then drop it off a 10 story building.

JBHuskers
01-19-2011, 12:13 PM
That's pretty awesome.

C'mon man...that would look sweet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGUppxoJUVg

steelerfan
01-19-2011, 12:39 PM
C'mon man...that would look sweet.

Did you eat a lot of paint chips as a kid? :D

JBHuskers
01-19-2011, 12:42 PM
Did you eat a lot of paint chips as a kid? :D

Rubber cement.

steelerfan
01-19-2011, 01:02 PM
Rubber cement.

Lol! That explains a few things.

Rudy
01-20-2011, 04:36 AM
Tate Forcier is transferring. As soon as Hoke said he's big on accountability including the academics I knew Tate was in big trouble.

steelerfan
01-20-2011, 06:22 AM
Tate Forcier is transferring. As soon as Hoke said he's big on accountability including the academics I knew Tate was in big trouble.

Didn't he announce that the same day Hoke was hired?

AustinWolv
01-20-2011, 07:32 AM
No

steelerfan
01-20-2011, 09:09 AM
No

Hmm. Ok.

I seem to remember getting an ESPN text about it last week and seeing something on TV about him making it public on the day Hoke was hired to take a parting shot at the program. Guess I imagined that.

EDIT: The exact text I got last Wednesday was, "Michigan backup QB Tate Forcier (academically ineligible for Gator Bowl) is no longer with program"

gschwendt
01-20-2011, 12:42 PM
The BCS Trophy found its way to Wal-Mart again this year (http://deadspin.com/5735160/when-auburn-fans-descend-on-walmart/gallery/?skyline=true&s=i).

steelerfan
01-20-2011, 01:06 PM
The BCS Trophy found its way to Wal-Mart again this year (http://deadspin.com/5735160/when-auburn-fans-descend-on-walmart/gallery/?skyline=true&s=i).

Lol. These pics, while not quite as good as the Bama ones last year, kinda make me hope an Alabama school wins every year. :P

AustinWolv
01-20-2011, 01:56 PM
Hmm. Ok.

I seem to remember getting an ESPN text about it last week and seeing something on TV about him making it public on the day Hoke was hired to take a parting shot at the program. Guess I imagined that.

EDIT: The exact text I got last Wednesday was, "Michigan backup QB Tate Forcier (academically ineligible for Gator Bowl) is no longer with program"

He didn't transfer then. He flunked out and pretty much had quit trying prior to that before Hoke was hired, even though he was technically still on the team.
He absolutely did not take any shots at Hoke. This stuff was going on before Hoke.

steelerfan
01-20-2011, 02:15 PM
He didn't transfer then. He flunked out and pretty much had quit trying prior to that before Hoke was hired, even though he was technically still on the team.
He absolutely did not take any shots at Hoke. This stuff was going on before Hoke.

Understood, that's why I dug up the text - to re-read what it said. I didn't say, or mean to imply, that he took shots at Hoke. What I heard on TV was something along the lines of it being a classless move on his part to make it public knowledge on the day Hoke was hired when Forcier would have known this long before.

My misunderstanding was that he said he was transferring last week when he was just no longer part of the program at that point (which does lead to transferring).

JBHuskers
01-28-2011, 10:44 AM
Some rumors on the Iowa situation....I guess they did 100 reps of squats at 245 lbs. and 100 reps of bench press.....which was the cause of the problem.

Rudy
01-28-2011, 08:11 PM
Nothing like killing the kids right after Christmas vacation and the kids aren't in good shape yet. And then not coming back to check on them for the first two days they are in the hospital. Ferentz got an ear full from parents.

HawkFan
01-28-2011, 08:20 PM
Nothing like killing the kids right after Christmas vacation and the kids aren't in good shape yet. And then not coming back to check on them for the first two days they are in the hospital. Ferentz got an ear full from parents.

As he should have. As an Iowa fan I am still trying to figure out what to make of this whole thing.

JeffHCross
01-29-2011, 04:51 PM
I'm sure his coaches tried to downplay the situation and tell him everything was fine. Not an excuse, but wouldn't surprise me if he was told it was an overreaction. Since he has a son on the team, I would expect that he would have reacted more like a parent than coach if he had known all the information.

gschwendt
02-02-2011, 10:48 AM
Mitch Mustain arrested for allegedly selling prescription drugs online (http://app4.lasd.org/iic/details.cfm?A=5083967A8B68AF294A41D9ED4D72FE6469AC 7625&B='$:B$K%22\.RP%20%20%0A&C=VUBTH&CFID=48305371&CFTOKEN=47259087&jsessionid=f03024fb303f4cc9bbcd334c362f3459491d)

fsuprime
02-02-2011, 01:20 PM
lol i knew he was up to no good with that mustache

JBHuskers
02-02-2011, 01:36 PM
That got a former Big Brother participant four years in jail I do believe....not sure if a good lawyer can get you out of jail time for that

steelerfan
02-02-2011, 01:40 PM
WTF is with Clemson cleaning up on Signing Day???

JBHuskers
02-02-2011, 01:45 PM
According to Jeremy Crabtree, UVA in at #19 now......WOW

fsuprime
02-02-2011, 03:32 PM
I think clemson is the new 'it' school to hang around for 3 years and jump to the NFL *see Bowers and Jamie Harper who are leaving this year after accomplishing nothing as a team*. Makes for exciting signing days and some big plays and good hype pre-season but very un-satisfying where it counts...i have seen this before, FSU was this type of school in Bowdens last 5 years or so.

JBHuskers
02-02-2011, 03:35 PM
Breakdown of 2011 #NU Recruiting Class by state: Texas - 5; Neb. - 4, Florida & Ohio - 2; Ala.a, Cali., Illin., Kan., Mass., S.C. - 1 each.

And most thought the jump to the Big Ten would hurt our Texas recruiting. Over time it might, and then again it might not.

gschwendt
02-02-2011, 03:39 PM
Player's mother forged his signature on his LOI (http://www.businessinsider.com/floyd-raven-ole-miss-texas-am-loi-2011-2)...

JBHuskers
02-02-2011, 04:27 PM
Player's mother forged his signature on his LOI (http://www.businessinsider.com/floyd-raven-ole-miss-texas-am-loi-2011-2)...

That is so ridiculous, Cam Newton's dad is shaking his head.

steelerfan
02-02-2011, 04:54 PM
that is so ridiculous, cam newton's dad is shaking his head.

:D :D :D

JBHuskers
02-08-2011, 02:50 PM
Georgia RB Recruit's Baby Bully Might Be Next UGA (http://college-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/27441872?ttag=gen10_on_all_fb_na_txt_0001)

http://hlcdn.datasphere.com/sites/11alive.com/files/imagecache/resize_story_image/020311-crowell-2_w580_h421.jpg

Rudy
02-09-2011, 04:34 AM
That's a cute puppy and that would be cool.

steelerfan
02-09-2011, 11:52 AM
Does anything good ever come out of social media? Other than "I got in touch with (some asswipe you've survived 20 years without speaking to)." This is hilarious. What a d-bag.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/09/seahawks-assistant-loses-ucla-gig-possibly-over-facebook-comments/

souljahbill
02-09-2011, 10:10 PM
Just read an article on ESPN by Ivan Maisel (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=maisel_ivan&id=6104276) and this was the most interesting blurb to me.

Big East expansion update -- the league is in a holding pattern until original member Villanova decides whether to exercise its open invitation to move up from FCS. The school is expected to make a decision no later than its trustees meeting in April. Central Florida is the next leading candidate. There has been considerable talk that South Florida is working against adding UCF to the league. Whether or not USF is that shortsighted, it won't matter. USF has but one vote and the rest of the league will do what's best for the league.

This is directed towards South Florida
http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/4898/26432020animatedgif20de.gif

psuexv
02-10-2011, 11:55 AM
TCU declines offer to play Wisconsin - I know it's all about the money any more and everyone wants a home and home, but step up and play the game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/news/story?id=6106632&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

Is a Rose Bowl rematch brewing between Wisconsin and TCU for the 2011 season opener?

It's not going to happen, but both schools were contacted about the idea.

Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema said on a Madison, Wis., sports radio station Wednesday that he was approached about playing host to TCU on Sept. 3.
"I was contacted probably a week, maybe a week and a half after the bowl game about the opportunity to play TCU in our opener," Bielema said on the show. "It was something that was going to be broadcast and made a big deal. It took me all of about point-five seconds to say, 'Yes.' "

TCU defeated Wisconsin 21-19 in the Rose Bowl on New Year's Day, vaulting the undefeated Horned Frogs to a No. 2 final ranking in The Associated Press and USA Today top 25 polls (they remained No. 3 in the final BCS standings).

"I would definitely love the challenge to play them again," Bielema said on the show. "And really, I thought it would be a great sell with our folks. Unfortunately, TCU wasn't as excited about the matchup."

TCU athletic director Chris Del Conte on Wednesday confirmed that a third party approached him about playing the Sept. 3 season opener at Wisconsin's Camp Randall Stadium. Del Conte also confirmed that he declined the offer.

However, he said his lack of interest in the game had little to do with a lack of excitement at the prospect of playing the Badgers again, but rather that the one-time meeting would not produce a return game in Fort Worth.

"We already have Baylor for our opening game," Del Conte said. "A team supposedly Wisconsin played last year doesn't want to go back there. A third party was shopping the game around to other teams. I have no interest in playing a one-[time] game."

A source said UNLV, which played host to Wisconsin for the 2010 season opener, wants to get out of its scheduled Sept,. 3 game against Wisconsin.

Del Conte said plans for a potential home-and-home series were never discussed.

"It was a very quick conversation with a third party," Del Conte said. "I want to be clear: I never spoke to the Wisconsin athletic director or football coach."

Now, had Ohio State -- whose president, E. Gordon Gee, famously had chided non-BCS conference teams such as TCU for playing schedules littered with the "Little Sisters of the Poor" -- been the Big Ten team seeking a late schedule change, Del Conte said he would have been all ears.

"Oh yeah," he said, "of course."

Jeff Caplan covers colleges for ESPNDallas.com.

Follow Jeff Caplan on Twitter: @espn_caplan

souljahbill
02-12-2011, 11:16 AM
If I were TCU, I wouldn't take that Wisconsin deal either. Big teams have no problems Non-AQ's, as long as it's a 1-off in their house. Kinda punk-ish. Play home and home.

morsdraconis
02-12-2011, 11:31 AM
If I were TCU, I wouldn't take that Wisconsin deal either. Big teams have no problems Non-AQ's, as long as it's a 1-off in their house. Kinda punk-ish. Play home and home.

That's what I keep saying, but all these big school fans just wanna call the "small" schools pussies for not taking the deal at all.

I definitely wouldn't take a deal that wasn't even. Don't want to come to our house too? Fuck off.

SmoothPancakes
02-12-2011, 07:15 PM
That's what I keep saying, but all these big school fans just wanna call the "small" schools pussies for not taking the deal at all.

I definitely wouldn't take a deal that wasn't even. Don't want to come to our house too? Fuck off.

Even though we sometimes see things differently, this I agree with you mors. You wouldn't get away with even thinking of the 1 and done shit with BCS conference school, but oh, because you're in the MWC or something, fuck you. You come to our house to play us and that's it, or we turn you down. Bullshit. If they're willing to come to your house to play, then grow some fucking balls and go play at their place one time.

I would love to see a home and home between TCU and Ohio State or Wisconsin or someone. I think it would be a hell of a game. But this disrespectful 1 and done bullshit is a major fucking slap in the face to TCU, Boise, and others. You wouldn't even try to pull that bullshit with the bottom dweller teams in the SEC, Big 12, Big East, etc, but oh, it's fine to try and pull that bullshit with TCU and Boise because they are in the "Little of Sisters of the Poor MWC", even if they are ranked in the top 10/20 year after year.

JeffHCross
02-12-2011, 07:29 PM
You wouldn't get away with even thinking of the 1 and done shit with BCS conference school, but oh, because you're in the MWC or something, fuck you.Since TCU is a BCS school starting in 2012, and has been in two consecutive BCS games, I really don't think Wisconsin is stupid enough to be splitting those kinds of hairs.

Plus, I think you're overlooking a key part of the story. This wasn't Wisconsin trying to setup a one-and-done and declining a home-and-home ... a home-and-home was never discussed. It was a third-party doing all the discussions.

SmoothPancakes
02-12-2011, 07:57 PM
Since TCU is a BCS school starting in 2012, and has been in two consecutive BCS games, I really don't think Wisconsin is stupid enough to be splitting those kinds of hairs.

Plus, I think you're overlooking a key part of the story. This wasn't Wisconsin trying to setup a one-and-done and declining a home-and-home ... a home-and-home was never discussed. It was a third-party doing all the discussions.

Well, not so much Wisconsin themselves, but others who have turned down TCU and Boise and others, because they wanted a home and home. And you're correct, my bad. I got off track from the story and blamed Wisconsin. It's the idiots in the third-party that were basically saying fuck you to TCU by only inquiring about a one and done at Wisconsin and not asking about interest in a home and home, when TCU has proven themselves time and time again.

And unfortunately, while they will be a BCS school starting in 2012, technically they are still only a lowly non-AQ team who still has not received the respect that they deserve to get in the eyes of the BCS and BCS teams.

JeffHCross
02-12-2011, 09:02 PM
It's the idiots in the third-party that were basically saying fuck you to TCU by only inquiring about a one and done at Wisconsin and not asking about interest in a home and homeOrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ... it could be that Wisconsin only had one vacancy and the third-party (I honestly think it was probably ESPN) was trying to setup a marquee matchup rather than making a home-and-home deal (which no third party would have the ability to negotiate).

Rudy
02-13-2011, 04:05 AM
If a third party wants to set up a 1 and done series then they should focus on a neutral site. Like when the Wolverines are going to take down Bama in 2012!

oweb26
02-18-2011, 12:56 PM
No one mentioned the guy killing the tree...where are you guys hearts? :dunno:

Edit:Sarcasm

JeffHCross
02-18-2011, 05:47 PM
I'm honestly trying to ignore that A) it happened and B) It's such a major story. I know it's a massive Auburn tradition, but I was shocked by how widespread the story became.

psusnoop
02-22-2011, 10:03 AM
Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ... it could be that Wisconsin only had one vacancy and the third-party (I honestly think it was probably ESPN) was trying to setup a marquee matchup rather than making a home-and-home deal (which no third party would have the ability to negotiate).

ESPN did this a few years ago when they set up an Oregon State vs PSU matchup early in the season. I'd fall more in that line of thinking here.

psusnoop
02-22-2011, 10:04 AM
I'm honestly trying to ignore that A) it happened and B) It's such a major story. I know it's a massive Auburn tradition, but I was shocked by how widespread the story became.

Nothing to see here in my opinion. I'm like you and shocked this is such a major story.

cdj
02-26-2011, 01:30 PM
Penn State's uniforms to get a slight tweak (http://nittanywhiteout.com/2011/02/25/nitt-links-taking-a-wait-and-see-approach-about-new-uniform-changes/).

JeffHCross
02-26-2011, 02:27 PM
Penn State's uniforms to get a slight tweak (http://nittanywhiteout.com/2011/02/25/nitt-links-taking-a-wait-and-see-approach-about-new-uniform-changes/).Hell, thee hath frozen over.

Zombie Nation blaring through the PA systemFor everything else, I applaud the man. But for ^^^^, he can rot.

steelerfan
02-26-2011, 02:53 PM
I'll get used to it quickly, but I don't like removing those stripes. I think it's very bland without them (I know that sounds crazy given what we're talking about). It seems like change for the sake of change.

JeffHCross
02-26-2011, 02:55 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure how removing the stripes makes the uniform more old-school. It's pretty old school now! Plus, for me, they've had those stripes since I've been watching football.

steelerfan
02-26-2011, 02:58 PM
Yeah, just seems to remove some character from the jersey. Like I said though, it won't take long to get used to.

jaymo76
02-27-2011, 06:58 PM
Penn State's uniforms to get a slight tweak (http://nittanywhiteout.com/2011/02/25/nitt-links-taking-a-wait-and-see-approach-about-new-uniform-changes/).

Wait, so the blandest uniforms in college football just got worse??? Will the stripe be a third jersey now? Come on PSU... it's okay to show a little creativity...

baseballplyrmvp
02-28-2011, 02:55 PM
Greg McElroy (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Greg-McElroy-almost-aced-the-Wonderlic-Is-he-to;_ylt=AjZ62HNte7nEFpj1x_crxVocvrYF?urn=ncaaf-327510)scored a 48 out of 50 on his Wonderlic test. thats pretty damn impressive.

morsdraconis
02-28-2011, 03:23 PM
Greg McElroy (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Greg-McElroy-almost-aced-the-Wonderlic-Is-he-to;_ylt=AjZ62HNte7nEFpj1x_crxVocvrYF?urn=ncaaf-327510)scored a 48 out of 50 on his Wonderlic test. thats pretty damn impressive.

Unfortunately, the article is right in that there can be an issue with being too smart (though it's reasoning is dumb as shit; the real reason is because no one with a Wonderlic score higher than 35 or 40 has ever been a good QB in the NFL).

JBHuskers
02-28-2011, 03:56 PM
Like Darren Rovell said....spice up the combine by televising the Wonderlic :D

morsdraconis
02-28-2011, 03:59 PM

That would be some quality TV.

JeffHCross
02-28-2011, 07:52 PM
(the real reason is because no one with a Wonderlic score higher than 35 or 40 has ever been a good QB in the NFL).Right, but since there have been so few QBs with a Wonderlic score above 40, that's probably not the greatest sample size. ;)

psusnoop
03-01-2011, 07:48 AM

I'm like Steelerfan, I'll get used to it rather quickly.

JBHuskers
03-03-2011, 03:14 PM
From CBS Sports:

Report: Villanova close to joining the Big East for football - http://bit.ly/NOVABe

jaymo76
03-05-2011, 10:15 PM
From CBS Sports:

Report: Villanova close to joining the Big East for football - http://bit.ly/NOVABe

Sounds promising.

cdj
03-07-2011, 07:59 PM
What did Tressel know and when did he know it? (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ys-osuprobe030711)

Ohio State coach Jim Tressel was informed that several Buckeyes players were selling memorabilia more than eight months before the school claims it was made aware of the scheme, a two-month Yahoo! Sports investigation has found.

Tressel received information that players were selling items to Edward Rife – the owner of Fine Line Ink Tattoos in Columbus – as early as April 2010, according to a source. However, neither Ohio State nor the NCAA investigated the transactions or the players’ relationship with Rife until December 2010, when the school claims it was informed of the situation by the local United States Attorney’s office.

Ohio State director of compliance Doug Archie declined immediate comment when reached Monday by Yahoo! Sports. Tressel and athletic director Gene Smith were unavailable for comment. The NCAA declined comment.

steelerfan
03-07-2011, 08:04 PM
I just read that. Tressel should be suspended for a year, OSU should vacate their wins from '10, the players involved should be suspended for a year, and OSU should lose scholarships.

jaymo76
03-08-2011, 12:15 AM
I just read that. Tressel should be suspended for a year, OSU should vacate their wins from '10, the players involved should be suspended for a year, and OSU should lose scholarships.

I agree THAT THERE SHOULD BE CONSEQUENCES but I somehow suspect that the NCAA would not go after one of their premier programmes like that.

psusnoop
03-08-2011, 07:56 AM
Why though, that is the question. If he knew of anything, something, in April yet didn't report it that means he was trying to hide it. This is a direct violation in my opinion of what the NCAA wants. They want the Universities to look into this stuff on their own before it gets blown up, that didn't happen here in this situation.

Sorry Jeff, I'm not liking this one bit.

JeffHCross
03-08-2011, 08:56 PM
EDIT: When I originally posted, I hadn't caught up on today's news -- only saw the initial stories this morning on the Dispatch and Yahoo.

We now resume our regularly scheduled post ...FFFFFFFFFFFFfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff fff ... ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ... ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ... ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ... ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ... ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ... ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ...

steelerfan
03-08-2011, 09:56 PM
Tressel suspended 2 games per ESPN. BS!

JeffHCross
03-08-2011, 10:03 PM
Tressel suspended 2 games per ESPN. BS!That was OSU's recommendation -- doesn't mean the NCAA will agree to it.

I would not at all be surprised by forfeiture of all of the 2010 results and/or Tressel being suspended for the entire season.

steelerfan
03-08-2011, 10:53 PM
That was OSU's recommendation -- doesn't mean the NCAA will agree to it.

I would not at all be surprised by forfeiture of all of the 2010 results and/or Tressel being suspended for the entire season.

Gotcha. All I had was a text saying he was suspended for 2 games.

jaymo76
03-09-2011, 12:03 AM
Gotcha. All I had was a text saying he was suspended for 2 games.

I didn't like the interview one bit. I just would have liked to hear him take more responsiblity and man up for what he did and fully admit he was 100% in the wrong and let his school down.

psusnoop
03-09-2011, 06:14 AM
That was OSU's recommendation -- doesn't mean the NCAA will agree to it.

I agree Jeff, this is exactly what I'm thinking the NCAA hands out.

steelerfan
03-09-2011, 11:54 AM
Consider Mel Kiper waaay off of the Cam Newton bandwagon. LOL!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/09/kiper-calls-newton-one-year-wonder-like-akili-smith/

AustinWolv
03-09-2011, 11:54 AM
300+ 'minor' recruiting violations, many of which are repeated versions of each other such as 'Oh, Mr. NFL Former Alum just soooo happens to be in this same hallway we're walking down, let's say hi', over the past decade should give a hint as to what OSU thinks they can get away with......and have since the NCAA has been a joke in tapping the shoulder of its' bigger money-makers. Only recently has that seemed to shift a bit (USC for example.....)....

Those falling for the saint show........really? Why did you think Tress and OSU were clean, given Tress' past and all the smoke around OSU in the past?

JeffHCross
03-09-2011, 08:08 PM
Those falling for the saint show........really? Why did you think Tress and OSU were clean, given Tress' past and all the smoke around OSU in the past?Who here is "falling for the saint show", Austin? Surely that was directed at someone and not just a shot against your rival, right? ;)

Did I think the program was 100% totally clean? (like I'm sure so many programs are, right?) No, not at all. Did I think Tressel was smarter than this? Absolutely. Did I think he was better than this? Absolutely. Do I think the self-discipline is an absolute sham? Absolutely.

Jim O'Brien was fired for, in my opinion, a more humane and reasonable transgression. Two games is a joke.

HWill
03-09-2011, 08:33 PM
Who here is "falling for the saint show", Austin? Surely that was directed at someone and not just a shot against your rival, right? ;)

Did I think the program was 100% totally clean? (like I'm sure so many programs are, right?) No, not at all. Did I think Tressel was smarter than this? Absolutely. Did I think he was better than this? Absolutely. Do I think the self-discipline is an absolute sham? Absolutely.

Jim O'Brien was fired for, in my opinion, a more humane and reasonable transgression. Two games is a joke.

I could not have said it better myself.

steelerfan
03-09-2011, 08:38 PM
Who here is "falling for the saint show", Austin?

I thought the same thing when I saw Austin's post this afternoon but was too busy to say so. No one here has said anything of the sort.

AustinWolv
03-09-2011, 09:32 PM
Who here is "falling for the saint show", Austin? Surely that was directed at someone and not just a shot against your rival, right?
Nobody here. Didn't imply anything near that, but rather the general media that talk him up during games and the fluff pieces that newspapers used to put out on him. It was a post about GENERAL DISCUSSION, i.e. soapbox permitted, not to pick fights with anyone here because haven't seen unreasonable homerism around here from any school's fan.

I agree with the rest of your post by the way, except for this part:

Did I think he was better than this? Absolutely.
I thought this particular case fits what I thought of him previously considering his standard answer in the past decade whenever something came up was something along the lines of, "This is the first I've heard of it....."

JeffHCross
03-09-2011, 09:40 PM
It was a post about GENERAL DISCUSSION, i.e. soapbox permitted, not to pick fights with anyone here because haven't seen unreasonable homerism around here from any school's fan.I figured, which is why I threw in the ;), hoping you'd know that it was mostly in jest.

I thought this particular case fits what I thought of him previously considering his standard answer in the past decade whenever something came up was something along the lines of, "This is the first I've heard of it....."True, but in most cases I've been able to at least give him the benefit of the doubt that maybe it is the first he's heard of it. He definitely has an image that he has tried to cultivate, and defaults to "No comment" as much as possible.

If nothing else, I expected better typing/e-mailing ability than some of the examples I've seen since this story broke :D

AustinWolv
03-10-2011, 07:04 AM
I expected better typing/e-mailing ability than some of the examples I've seen since this story broke
Certainly, he has the engineer-y, computer guy look going. :D

JeffHCross
03-12-2011, 10:06 PM
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -- The NCAA threw out more than 30 Arkansas State victories in football and basketball from the 2005-07 seasons Friday, saying the school used ineligible players.

The NCAA also said that it has cut one football and one basketball scholarship for two years.

The penalties stem from the school allowing 31 ineligible athletes during the 2005-08 seasons because of a failure to meet NCAA rules on progress-toward-degree requirements. The violations were originally discovered during an internal audit, and ASU reported them to the NCAA.

The school offered to forfeit six football wins from the 2006 season, four from 2005, 15 men's basketball wins from the 2006-07 season, 12 basketball wins from 2005-06, three baseball wins from the 2006-07 season and five women's soccer wins during the 2005-06 season.

The NCAA infractions committee agreed with the self-imposed penalties for the school, which will be on probation for two years.:smh:

Honestly, I can't see how the NCAA lays down this punishment (though the school did offer it) and doesn't lay down something similar for Ohio State for the 2010 season. We shall see.

gschwendt
03-12-2011, 10:11 PM
What's sad is that the person responsible for all of that, got in trouble for doing the same exact thing at Louisiana-Lafayette not more than 6 months than being hired at ASU. Unfortunately she didn't get into trouble until after she was at ASU but even then, once it came out, she should have been watched like a hawk.

If I understand correctly, it had to do with the athletes going to the advisor to make sure they had enough credits to be eligible and since the advisor rounded up on some calculations instead of down, she determined they were eligible. Had the athletes known they were in danger of being ineligible, they could have easily added a single course and everything would have been fine.

cdj
03-16-2011, 01:39 PM
Pac-12 logo unveiled (http://yfrog.com/h3f14cdj)

And a terrible welcoming video for CU & Utah:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niiWyvrjh_c&feature=channel_video_title

morsdraconis
03-16-2011, 02:12 PM
What the hell did I just watch/listen to?! Gah...

SmoothPancakes
03-16-2011, 02:18 PM
I think I just had my eyes and ears raped. At least molested. :(

JBHuskers
03-16-2011, 02:21 PM
...if autotune and bad dancing were combined in the 80's you'd get that turd I just watched

HWill
03-16-2011, 03:13 PM
What the hell did I just watch/listen to?! Gah...

I think I just had my eyes and ears raped. At least molested. :(

...if autotune and bad dancing were combined in the 80's you'd get that turd I just watched

Pretty much sums up what I was going to say.

steelerfan
03-16-2011, 03:18 PM
I'm glad that video wasn't a second longer. I almost lost the last of my dignity, self respect, and masculinity. That was horrible.

JeffHCross
03-16-2011, 06:58 PM
I actually thought it was enjoyable ... then again, based on all of your comments I knew I was just going to snicker, laugh and :smh: through all of it.

Oh, and ponder the meaning behind using a female to hold the "Beavers" sign.

jaymo76
03-17-2011, 12:32 AM
Pac-12 logo unveiled (http://yfrog.com/h3f14cdj)

And a terrible welcoming video for CU & Utah:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niiWyvrjh_c&feature=channel_video_title

CDJ, for posting that you owe me 1 minute and 14 seconds of my life that I will never get back! :)

JeffHCross
03-17-2011, 09:33 PM
I'm not even sure what to think about this.

Ohio State and football coach Jim Tressel announced tonight that he will serve a five-game suspension for his role in the scandal that brought major NCAA violations to the university's door.

"Throughout this entire situation my players and I have committed ourselves to facing our mistakes and growing from them; we can only successfully do that together," Tressel said in a statement. "Like my players, I am very sorry for the mistakes I made. I request of the university that my sanctions now include five games so that the players and I can handle this adversity together."

Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith said in a statement: "I have accepted his request and we are taking action to notify the NCAA. Until the NCAA has completed its investigation, we will not be publicly discussing the details of this case."

Kwizzy
03-18-2011, 07:57 AM
I'm not even sure what to think about this.

I'll tell you what you should think: This is Ohio States way of trying to avoid the NCAA from making it the entire season. Dez Bryant was suspended for lying to the NCAA about having lunch with Deon Sanders. What Tressel did is WAY worse. I wouldn't be surprised to see the NCAA make it more than 5 games (perhaps not til next season though). This is a smart move by them, I'm just not so sure it works. They're trying to make the case that what he did was no worse than what his players did which, IMO, isn't true at all.

In short, you should think this isn't the last of this....

JeffHCross
03-18-2011, 09:46 PM
In short, you should think this isn't the last of this....Oh, I don't. I haven't since it began, nor will I even begin to think it's the end until the NCAA actually rules. The 2 game suspension was a total joke. The 5 games is barely acceptable.

steelerfan
03-21-2011, 08:32 AM
Bad news for the Tarnished Domers. Per ESPN, Michael Floyd has been arrested on a misdemeanor drunken-driving charge.

HWill
03-26-2011, 03:09 PM
ESPN's 2011 schedule has been released:

EDIT: Took the image down because it's not showing up in the post anymore. If you want to see it, use this link: http://twitpic.com/4dm69b

JeffHCross
03-26-2011, 03:16 PM
ESPN's 2011 schedule has been releasedOf sorts. ESPN doesn't negotiate most (practically any) of their Saturday games until a week or two before the game. Which is why the only Saturday games you see on that list are a few non-conference battles in September.

HWill
03-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Of sorts. ESPN doesn't negotiate most (practically any) of their Saturday games until a week or two before the game. Which is why the only Saturday games you see on that list are a few non-conference battles in September.

I know this. Those were their words, not mine: http://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/51733903077163008

JeffHCross
03-26-2011, 03:23 PM
I know this.Figured you did. Was trying to answer any inevitable questions others may have.

HWill
03-26-2011, 03:32 PM
Figured you did. Was trying to answer any inevitable questions others may have.

Cool. By the way, I hope I didn't come off as an asshole when I said, "I know this". :D

JeffHCross
03-26-2011, 06:37 PM
Cool. By the way, I hope I didn't come off as an asshole when I said, "I know this". :DNot at all. I use that response enough myself to know how you meant it :D

JeffHCross
03-27-2011, 03:51 PM
From Rivals' weekly "Roundtable" column:

THIS WEEK'S QUESTION: Do you think Ohio State coach Jim Tressel will be on the sideline at some point this season?

David Fox's answer:
In light of Friday's news, I don't see how Ohio State can retain Jim Tressel and maintain any shred of good standing with the NCAA. The Columbus Dispatch reported Tressel forwarded email warnings of improprieties to Terrelle Pryor's mentor. Tressel previously said he did not forward to his bosses the emails warning him of Pryor and others selling memorabilia because the coach had concerns of confidentiality and safety. That defense sure doesn't look as credible now, does it? Will Ohio State keep a coach who kept so-called mentors in the loop on possible violations but not athletic administrators? Tressel has built more capital with his program than almost any coach in the country. If anyone can keep his job in the face of all this, it would be someone like Tressel. As we learn more details, though, I don't see how Ohio State can keep him as coach in 2011.

Mike Huguenin's answer:
I think Jim Tressel is done as Ohio State's coach. The latest revelation - that he sent info on potential NCAA violations committed by Terrelle Pryor to Pryor's mentor but not anyone above him at Ohio State - has to be it. If Tressel weren't such a successful coach, he'd already have been fired. There's no way he can stay now. He lied to his boss and he lied to the NCAA. Does A.D. Gene Smith have the gumption to fire him (we know bowtie-wearing school president Gordon Gee doesn't)? Or will this be a case of the NCAA bringing the hammer itself?Can't say I disagree with either of them.

morsdraconis
03-27-2011, 04:11 PM
Pretty damning evidence against him. I don't see how he survives it at OSU, but weirder stuff has happened.

JeffHCross
03-27-2011, 06:56 PM
Pretty damning evidence against him. I don't see how he survives it at OSU, but weirder stuff has happened.I think the NCAA will force us to vacate all of our 2010 wins, and possibly extend his suspension. That would be pretty tough, but under those circumstances I can see them keeping him. The current administration doesn't seem to have the same quick-fire mentality that the last one did. Though I think that's more due to the AD change than the president.

ram29jackson
03-29-2011, 08:17 PM
Jim Tressel aint going nowhere - this is small time crap and Ohio State isnt worried about it

JBHuskers
03-30-2011, 12:01 AM
I don't think Tressel is that safe....

SmoothPancakes
03-30-2011, 12:27 AM
I don't think Tressel is that safe....

Yeah, especially after it coming out about him forwarding those emails to Pryor's mentor, after all that was said by him, Gene Smith, and Gee about him not revealing those emails to the NCAA or OSU officials because he was unsure or afraid of confidentiality issues. I would not be surprised to see the NCAA come down hard on him and OSU, especially with all the issues going on around NCAA sports lately with violations.

And then the backlash they took for allowing the OSU players to play in the Sugar Bowl, and wait until the next season to sit out their games, I could see the NCAA bitchslapping Tressel and OSU solely to make up for coming across so soft with the players punishment and trying to appear tougher in this case.

JBHuskers
03-30-2011, 02:06 PM
The Pac 12 has come out and said if we have no NFL, they would move games to Sundays.

jaymo76
03-30-2011, 03:23 PM
The Pac 12 has come out and said if we have no NFL, they would move games to Sundays.

Awful!!! Part of the charm of college football is that's on Saturday.

HWill
03-30-2011, 03:55 PM

I wouldn't have a problem with this.