PDA

View Full Version : After Week #8, who should be #1?

cdj
10-24-2010, 03:14 PM
http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/images/NCAA11/MizzouOklahoma.jpg

After week eight, who should be the #1 team in the country?

- Auburn
- Boise State
- Michigan State
- Missouri
- Oregon
- TCU
- Utah
- Other

JeffHCross
10-24-2010, 04:12 PM
Auburn has proven more to me than anybody else. I don't think they can go undefeated -- I just think their D has too many concerns -- but they're very talented and are the #1 team right now.

SmoothPancakes
10-24-2010, 04:46 PM
For me, it's pretty much a tie between Oregon and Auburn. Oregon has raped and abused every team they've played, and Auburn, while having some close endings and needing a comeback or two, have played tough as hell and has some of the most impressive wins on any one team's resume so far. And I don't see any reason why they shouldn't still be undefeated going into Bama on Nov. 26.

For this week, since I can't vote for two (due to a tie in my mind), I voted Oregon just because they were my vote for #1 the last week or two and have continued the bitch slap fest of a season they have been having, but Auburn is right there barely behind them.

psusnoop
10-24-2010, 04:52 PM
I'm with Smooth here, I've had Oregon in my mind as the #1 for the last few weeks and since nothing has changed to what they are doing I have to keep them #1 but the gap is so tight with Auburn right now any slip and Auburn is the new #1. Newton is a stud, but that is a lot of shots he is taking.

SmoothPancakes
10-24-2010, 05:18 PM
I'm with Smooth here, I've had Oregon in my mind as the #1 for the last few weeks and since nothing has changed to what they are doing I have to keep them #1 but the gap is so tight with Auburn right now any slip and Auburn is the new #1. Newton is a stud, but that is a lot of shots he is taking.

My thoughts exactly. If Oregon has one game where they just collapse, play horribly for a game and only beat USC or Washington or Cal or whoever by only a couple points instead of these 20+ point beatdowns they've been handing out every game, then, to me Auburn is leaping right past them. But for now, Oregon has convincingly done what they needed to do to manage to barely hang onto the #1 spot over Auburn.

HWill
10-24-2010, 06:33 PM
To me, Oregon and Boise State are the two best teams in the country right now. That being said, I voted for Oregon.

morsdraconis
10-24-2010, 06:35 PM
So play a shitty schedule against a horribly overrated conference, beat one ranked team by a crap ton because that ranked team is horribly overrated, and really play no one else at all and you are ranked above someone that has played an equal schedule (and in some people's opinions tougher) and has also been blowing out the teams that they should be? (rolls eyes)

jaymo76
10-24-2010, 06:36 PM
Auburn has proven more to me than anybody else. I don't think they can go undefeated -- I just think their D has too many concerns -- but they're very talented and are the #1 team right now.

I agree. I like Auburn and RIGHT NOW I think they are the best. However, Auburn has a history of blowing it. Therefore I suspect Auburn will NOT make it to the show when all is said and done. Plus I still have my fingers crossed for Michigan St.

JeffHCross
10-24-2010, 07:33 PM
(rolls eyes)To quote Chris Fowler on BCS Countdown right now: "We. don't. know. who the best team is"

SmoothPancakes
10-25-2010, 03:28 AM
To quote Chris Fowler on BCS Countdown right now: "We. don't. know. who the best team is"

But at least in regards to the newest BCS standings, they are the best at this point and week of the season as I have seen them in a long time. Auburn is very much worthy of that top spot.

steelerfan
10-25-2010, 04:00 AM
So play a shitty schedule against a horrible conference, beat one ranked team by a slim margin though that ranked team was horribly overrated, and play absolutely no one else at all and you should be ranked above someone that has played an equal schedule (and in some people's opinion tougher) and has been blowing out everyone? (nods head)

Edited to apply to Boise. :P

Rudy
10-25-2010, 05:40 AM
I would normally vote Oregon #1 but I can't help but think that Boise St. beat them each of the last two years. They get my vote. I'd put Oregon #2 with Auburn #3 and MSU #4.

I do think MSU will lose @Iowa this week and I expect Auburn to lose at least one game this year. I do think this is the best year for Boise St. to make it to the Championship game and I think they will get there because I don't expect any more than one major BCS team to be undefeated.

steelerfan
10-25-2010, 06:10 AM
I would normally vote Oregon #1 but I can't help but think that Boise St. beat them each of the last two years. They get my vote. I'd put Oregon #2 with Auburn #3 and MSU #4.

I do think MSU will lose @Iowa this week and I expect Auburn to lose at least one game this year. I do think this is the best year for Boise St. to make it to the Championship game and I think they will get there because I don't expect any more than one major BCS team to be undefeated.

I agree that MSU will not run the table and I seriously doubt that Auburn will either. I think my view of Auburn, right or wrong, is a bit like most of us previously viewed LSU - the fact that they keep winning is impressive but I can't help thinking they will stumble somewhere (actually, this applies to MSU, too). I really hope we end up with a Boise/Oregon MNCG. That would be an incredible match up.

I voted for Oregon, but I wouldn't debate anyone who voted for Boise or Auburn at this point. My biggest qualm with Oregon is that they've fallen way behind a couple of times (Tennessee, ASU, Stanford).

As long as Boise wins out, they should be in position to get their shot. It would be complete BS if a 1-loss team gets a shot over them, but unfortunately I still think it's a possibility because of SOS and the computer poll. We all saw ESPN's mock BCS standings a few weeks ago that, despite OSU being #1 in both human polls, had the Buckeyes #5 because the computer saw them as #10 by virtue of SOS. I would hate for that to happen to Boise, particularly if the MNCG would then involve a 1-loss team.

JeffHCross
10-25-2010, 07:36 AM
I agree that MSU will not run the table and I seriously doubt that Auburn will either. I think my view of Auburn, right or wrong, is a bit like most of us previously viewed LSU - the fact that they keep winning is impressiveNo, see, with LSU most of us thought the fact that they kept winning was mind boggling, or via some kind of deal with the Devil. There was nothing impressive in their victory over Tennessee, and they practically gave it away against Florida (though I'll admit that the last play of that drive, the fade pass, was impressive).

psuexv
10-25-2010, 08:04 AM
No, see, with LSU most of us thought the fact that they kept winning was mind boggling, or via some kind of deal with the Devil. There was nothing impressive in their victory over Tennessee, and they practically gave it away against Florida (though I'll admit that the last play of that drive, the fade pass, was impressive).

Agreed. LSU should be a 3 loss team right now.

steelerfan
10-25-2010, 08:27 AM
with LSU most of us thought the fact that they kept winning was mind boggling, or via some kind of deal with the Devil.

I know. And, right or wrong, that sums up my thoughts on Auburn (at this point). They've had a number of close shaves. I see where what I typed and what I meant are easily confused.

What I meant was that Auburn, like LSU, is viewed by me as a team whose close shaves (albeit not of the flat-out-lucky variety like LSU's) will catch up to them at some point. Also, to me, being unbeaten at this stage is impressive regardless of how you got there (paricularly in the top-heavy SEC).

Using that hyphen, instead of a period, unintentionally co-mingled the views of most with the views of myself. That's where I went wrong.

morsdraconis
10-25-2010, 09:04 AM
As long as Boise wins out, they should be in position to get their shot. It would be complete BS if a 1-loss team gets a shot over them, but unfortunately I still think it's a possibility because of SOS and the computer poll. We all saw ESPN's mock BCS standings a few weeks ago that, despite OSU being #1 in both human polls, had the Buckeyes #5 because the computer saw them as #10 by virtue of SOS. I would hate for that to happen to Boise, particularly if the MNCG would then involve a 1-loss team.

Sadly, I think it's going to happen, and it's going to end up being fuckin' Alabama that does it to them. The SEC is so bullshit overrated at the bottom, beating a shitty team like Tennessee or Ole Miss is considered better than Boise State beating Nevada or Fresno State.

The SEC championship game is going to end up propelling Alabama that last little bit (probably against some shitty team like Georgia or Florida) that they need to jump over an undefeated Boise State or TCU if they don't do it outright by beating the piss out of Auburn.

JeffHCross
10-25-2010, 09:40 AM
The SEC is so overrated at the bottom, beating a team like Tennessee or Ole Miss is considered better than Boise State beating Nevada or Fresno State.You are so freaking overdramatic it's borderline laughable.

Only one of the four teams you just mentioned is ranked in the BCS. And -- shocker -- they're not in the SEC.

Your overall point is right ... it's entirely likely that Alabama, Oklahoma, or Ohio State will jump Boise / TCU. Enough with the hyperbole though.

JBHuskers
10-25-2010, 09:42 AM
I think this is the year a Boise or TCU gets in. There are no dominant teams this year. Oregon, Michigan State, and Auburn all have games that they can lose.

JBHuskers
10-25-2010, 09:57 AM
You are so freaking overdramatic it's borderline laughable.

Only one of the four teams you just mentioned is ranked in the BCS. And -- shocker -- they're not in the SEC.

Your overall point is right ... it's entirely likely that Alabama, Oklahoma, or Ohio State will jump Boise / TCU. Enough with the hyperbole though.

Yeah because the bottom of the WAC so so much better than the bottom of the SEC :D

Bottom line is Boise needs to bite the bullet and take tougher games regardless if it is 2-for-1, they're still Boise State in the WAC.

CLW
10-25-2010, 12:17 PM
Oregon.

morsdraconis
10-25-2010, 12:24 PM

You can't tell me that the computers don't rank Alabama beating a shitty SEC team better than Boise State beating a decent/good WAC team just like they are going to rank Ohio State beating a shitty Big Ten opponent or Oklahoma beating a shitty Big 12 opponent.

The computers are stacked against non-BCS teams because of the preseason rankings having an effect on how it weights conferences and teams. I mean, christ, Oklahoma was #1 last week! All because they beat a shitty Texas team that beat a Nebraska team that completely shit themselves against said shitty Texas team.

The only way Boise State has a chance in hell of making the MNC game is if Auburn, Michigan State, Oregon, and Missouri all lose games and then their chances are slim because of how overrated Oklahoma is.

Even with both of them having 1 loss, if Oklahoma and Alabama go undefeated, they're almost guaranteed to be playing each other in the MNC game unless one of the other above listed teams continues to go undefeated (obviously Alabama wouldn't only have 1 loss if Auburn went undefeated and Oklahoma wouldn't have only 1 loss if Missouri went undefeated).

JBHuskers
10-25-2010, 12:34 PM
You can't tell me that the computers don't rank Alabama beating a shitty SEC team better than Boise State beating a decent/good WAC team just like they are going to rank Ohio State beating a shitty Big Ten opponent or Oklahoma beating a shitty Big 12 opponent.

The computers are stacked against non-BCS teams because of the preseason rankings having an effect on how it weights conferences and teams. I mean, christ, Oklahoma was #1 last week! All because they beat a shitty Texas team that beat a Nebraska team that completely shit themselves against said shitty Texas team.

The only way Boise State has a chance in hell of making the MNC game is if Auburn, Michigan State, Oregon, and Missouri all lose games and then their chances are slim because of how overrated Oklahoma is.

Even with both of them having 1 loss, if Oklahoma and Alabama go undefeated, they're almost guaranteed to be playing each other in the MNC game unless one of the other above listed teams continues to go undefeated (obviously Alabama wouldn't only have 1 loss if Auburn went undefeated and Oklahoma wouldn't have only 1 loss if Missouri went undefeated).

Ummm Boise was ranked high preseason, solely based off of last season. Otherwise, they wouldn't even be this close.

I can see a 1-loss Alabama jumping Boise or TCU by winning out. Any other 1-loss teams, I don't think they will.

JBHuskers
10-25-2010, 12:36 PM
That's why I don't think we should have a single poll released until October.

Rudy
10-25-2010, 12:37 PM
I have a huge problem with the computers not ranking margin of victory. They used to cap it at 20 or 21 to keep teams from running up the score but pounding a team and escaping with a victory do deserve to be split up.

I thought Bama was the only great college team this year but their defense is young and doesn't rush the passer well. They can get exposed vs. a good passing team. I think Saban needs to pound the rock a little more. He gets too cute imo and tries to run the pistol and a lot of shotgun stuff to remain balanced when he doesn't have to. Who should touch the ball on that team? The two stud RBs or freaking McElroy who is more of a game manager? In the loss to South Carolina I rarely saw Bama line up in a two TE set and pound the rock the first half. They started out cute and it didn't work. They did the same thing against Utah in the Sugar Bowl a couple years ago and Utah smoked them.

Anyways, any team can be beat this year. It's like 2007 so I think everyone deserves consideration for the title game and Boise deserves a shot.

JBHuskers
10-25-2010, 01:28 PM
My Top 10:

1. Oregon (--)
2. Boise State (--)
3. Auburn (6)
4. Missouri (10)
5. Michigan State (3)
6. TCU (4)
7. Utah (8)
8. Wisconsin (9)
9. Ohio State (NR)
10. Alabama (NR)

Others receiving a thought or two: Stanford, LSU, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Florida State

Ever since San Diego State, Missouri continues to impress. If Auburn, Missouri, and Michigan State all win this coming week (well yeah not Missouri :D) I really am not sure I would bump TCU/Utah winner ahead of them. Wisconsin is still my best 1-loss team, and unlike the pollsters, Alabama is my 3rd best 1-loss team. This coming week is going to be a fun one.

JeffHCross
10-25-2010, 04:02 PM
You can't tell me that the computers don't rank Alabama beating a shitty SEC team better than Boise State beating a decent/good WAC team just like they are going to rank Ohio State beating a shitty Big Ten opponent or Oklahoma beating a shitty Big 12 opponent.Sure I can. You won't beleive me, because you appear to think the BCS conferences are the worst conferences in the country, but I can absolutely tell you that.

Nevada is #24.
Ole Miss and Tennessee are not ranked.

Therefore, it is simple logic to say that the computers will like Boise's potential victory over Nevada more than Auburn's upcoming games against Ole Miss and Tennessee. I can't really say anything about Fresno, because I have no idea where they are in the computer rankings, except to say that they're not in the Top 25.

In all honesty, I don't think Boise has any shot of making the national title game at this point, except for the possibility of something going horribly wrong in multiple BCS conferences. TCU, however, I think still has a shot, considering they still have a Top 10 team on their schedule.

The computers are stacked against non-BCS teams because of the preseason rankings having an effect on how it weights conferences and teams. I mean, christ, Oklahoma was #1 last week! All because they beat a shitty Texas team that beat a Nebraska team that completely shit themselves against said shitty Texas team.And those same computers were projected to give Boise a HUGE advantage in the BCS rankings the week before they came out.

You keep wanting to make this about one or two games. Maybe that's because that's all Boise's really played. No matter what you think about the BCS conferences, the simple reality is that, from top to bottom, the BCS conference schedules are tougher. So Boise is going to take a pounding the deeper they get into their schedule. You can't seriously think that playing San Jose State is akin to playing even lowly Tennessee.

JBHuskers
10-25-2010, 04:27 PM
You keep wanting to make this about one or two games. Maybe that's because that's all Boise's really played. No matter what you think about the BCS conferences, the simple reality is that, from top to bottom, the BCS conference schedules are tougher. So Boise is going to take a pounding the deeper they get into their schedule. You can't seriously think that playing San Jose State is akin to playing even lowly Tennessee.

Ding, ding, ding.