PDA

View Full Version : Shallow Cross Series

HuRRiCaNe
10-18-2010, 08:23 AM
Shallow Cross Series

Shotgun Normal – Y Shallow Cross
Routes being run: Square on a Deep Post Route, Triangle on a 10 yard in route, X on a drag, Circle on a Out route around 10 yards, and L1 on a delay hook route.

Pre Snap Reads:
Before the ball is even snapped, I look to see if I can determine what defense the D is playing. If I have a feeling it is man-to-man, I check down at my Out Route pattern and my drag pattern. And from there I go. You can't really make any 100% sure pre-reads against a zone until the ball is snapped(to be accurate).

During the Snap:
If a man-to-man: immediately look at what type(Cover 2 man, Blitz, ect.) If you see the blitz coming, look right at the guy running the drag or the man running the out route. You don't want to force any passes if circle isn't open so just take the underneath with X.
If a Zone: immediately look at the LB's. If you see a traditiononal cover 3, you are going to have to hit the Triangle WR through a tight window. As soon as he makes his turn be ready to throw, you have a split second to make the throw, if you are a second to EARLY or a second to LATE, get ready for a pick. But if you see a more of a flat zone, Triangle will be a much easier throw. But always remember, don't be afraid to dump it to L1 for a short gain. As long as you are moving the ball, it's a good thing.

This is one of the hardest plays to stop in the game. No matter what the D does, someone is always open.

Shotgun Normal HB Wk – X Shallow Cross.
Routes being run: Square on a drag, Triangle on a wheel route, X on a In route(10 yards), Circle on a deep post pattern, L1 on a Delay hook.

Pre Snap Reads:
Always look to try to determine what kind of defense is being played. Whether zone or man, it's important to establish this. Then from there, you can set up your reads and start thinking of where you are going to throw to.

During the Snap:
If a man-to-man: Square will be open every time. No need to look any where else. Keep it simple, if you can get yards, pick them up, don't be a novice. You don't need the big play every down.
If a Zone: More times then not, triangle will be open, but that does take a long time to develop. Another way is with L1/X. In a zone the LB will have to make a decision...either come up to guard L1(leaving X open) or stay back(Leaving L1 open). Which ever way he takes,throw it the opposite.

I'm currently working on Z Shallow Cross, then im going to work on the ones with motion

psuexv
10-18-2010, 10:53 AM
I'd also add that if you read man, watch the safeties. If they are Cover 1 or the FS blitzes or is in man the deep post is money. Just hit it early enough so you don't have too deep of a throw for the SS to come over. The only time I would advise against this is if you're playing against a stud corner.

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
10-18-2010, 11:23 AM
best rule to remember when watching college football... CB's eyes will tip the coverage... but the safeties never lie... EVER

"E"

JeffHCross
10-19-2010, 09:40 PM
It's also important that if you read a blitz by the man covering the dig route (10 yard in), watch out for a safety playing man. The safety will sometimes manage to get there at the exact wrong time for a quick throw. That's a pass deflection at best, an interception at worst.

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
10-19-2010, 11:50 PM
again... safeties NEVER LIE... and its not like last year... they actually rotate when they are supposed to this year thank you JESUS =)

"E"

Coach
06-02-2011, 02:43 PM
For shallow cross, the read regardless of man or zone is shallow to dig to checkdown. The post, that in real life is a tag off of the normal vertical route if the safety starts cheating down for the dig, is a pre snap look. Unfortunately, the dig in the game won't curl up vs zone or in the next open window as in real life. You can also tag the x receiver(position not button) with a curl.
Mesh compliments this well, but they are not a package in the game.