PDA

View Full Version : HuRRiCaNe's RUN n SHOOT guide

HuRRiCaNe
10-17-2010, 09:41 PM
The goal of the run and shoot is to get the ball out of the qb hands in 3 seconds. Not many teams run a true run and shoot(SMU/Hawaii).The WR base there routes on what they seen in the defense. This offense is based on the passing the ball and spreading the defense out. June Jones soon implied this offense into hawaii, and lead them to a 12-0 season and played georgia in a bowl game. Now has taken over SMU, and SMU is running the same style. The Run & Shoot is a very low risk offense, because the goal is to throw quick passes and get the WR's into space.

How to pick your team:
First off you want a team with a good quarterback and a good wr core. You don't need a playmaking hb because he will only be carrying the ball 10 times max during the game. Some good choices are ARKANSAS, BOISE STATE, TEXAS, HAWAII, SMU, TEXAS TECH, ect.

Formations:
Ace-SPREAD
Ace-4WR TRIPS
Shotgun-WING TRIPS*(love this formation)
Shotgun-BUNCH HB STR*(favorite formation)
Shotgun-TIGHT*(good formation)
Shotgun-FLANKER CLOSE
Shotgun-NORMAL Y-SLOT
Shotgun-SPREAD
Shotgun-SPREAD HB WK
Shotgun-SPREAD FLEX WK
Shotgun-4WR
Shotgun-DOUBLE FLEX
Shotgun-TRIPS
Shotgun-TRIPS HB WK
Shotgun-TRIPS OPEN STR
Shotgun-TRIPS OPEN
Shotgun-4WR TRIO
Shotgun-5WR Trips

Plays:
Ace-SPREAD:
Z Shallow Cross
Flanker Dig
HB Slip Scren

Slot Pivot
Z Shallow Cross: This play consist of SQUARE running a deep post route. TRIANGLE is running a 10 yard and in route. X is running a wheel route*(Zone killer). CIRCLE is running a drag route*(Man Killer). L1 is running an in route out of the backfield.

Z Shallow Cross is one of those plays that is very effictive but no one uses. You don't need to make any audibles. Just make sure you protect your line. No matter what the defense does, you can always pick up some yardage. Just sit there and make the right reads.

Flanker Dig: This play consists of SQUARE/TRIANGE running a wheelie route*(kills any D). X running a 5 yard in route. CIRCLE running a 10 yard in route. L1 is running a drap type rotue of the backfield.

Flanker Dig: I like this play because I use it to pick up short yardage. My favorite target on this play is X. All I do is motion CIRCLE to the other side of the field. And know you have to make a read. If the Defense jumps the route on CIRCLE, then hit X. If he doesn't hit CIRCLE. Its a very simple read, but a very deadly play.

HB Slip Screen: Do I need to go into detail about a screen? If so just discuss and ill edit it.

HB Slip Screen: Its just a quick screen pass. Just to keep the D off balance. The only problem or worry is that you are undercenter. You need to get the ball out quick.

Slot Pivot: SQUARE is running a 10 yard in route. TRIANGLE is running a quick out route. X is running a deep route*(deadly route). CIRCLE is running a 10 yard out route. AUDIBLE L1 TO BLOCK.

Slot Pivot is my favorite play in the undercenter part of the playbook. It's literally impossible to stop, because you have so many great routes being ran. TRAINGLE's ROUTE is a good quick hitter. But serious, all you need to do is line up a quick guy in the slot for this play and X beats his man almost everytime.

Ace-4WR TRIPS:
1.Curl Flat Wheel
2.Speed Option
3.Z Spot
4.Smash

It's still a work in progress so gimmie so time!!

JeffHCross
10-17-2010, 09:45 PM
Running the ball in the Run & Shoot can still be dangerous. The rule of thumb is that if the defense has 5 or less in the box, you run the ball. So having a playmaking HB (or at least a reliable ball carrier) is still a weapon.

Good start, Hurricane.

HuRRiCaNe
10-17-2010, 09:52 PM
Thanks

I;m still trying to find some solid plays.

Dr Death
04-24-2011, 02:37 AM
You don't need a playmaking hb because he will only be carrying the ball 10 times max during the game.

Even though this is an old post, I would like to provide some input on the running back position in the R&S. You DO need a play maker at running back in this offense. In fact, in the R&S, the running back is called the SB. SB = Super Back. And he's called the Super Back because he has to be able to do everything.

He has to run effectively... he has to be able to catch passes out of the backfield and he needs to be a sixth lineman for pass protection. Every where June Jones has been, he's had two types of backs... small, speedy guys and big, bruising guys.

In Houston they had Lorenzo White, Allen Pinkett and later, Gary Brown. In Atlanta he had Erric Pegram and Ironhead Heyward. At Hawaii he's had guys like Nate Ilaoa and now at SMU he has Zach Line.

W/ the new game {NCAA 12} coming soon, I feel this is pertinent information for anyone wanting to run this offense. If you have a good to great back, it will only make your offense better. If you ignore the RB position... it will cost you.

baseballplyrmvp
05-14-2011, 09:21 PM
The goal of the run and shoot is to get the ball out of the qb hands in 3 seconds. Not many teams run a true run and shoot(SMU/Hawaii).The WR base there routes on what they seen in the defense. This offense is based on the passing the ball and spreading the defense out. June Jones soon implied this offense into hawaii, and lead them to a 12-0 season and played georgia in a bowl game. Now has taken over SMU, and SMU is running the same style. The Run & Shoot is a very low risk offense, because the goal is to throw quick passes and get the WR's into space.

How to pick your team:
First off you want a team with a good quarterback and a good wr core. You don't need a playmaking hb because he will only be carrying the ball 10 times max during the game. Some good choices are ARKANSAS, BOISE STATE, TEXAS, HAWAII, SMU, TEXAS TECH, ect.

contrary to what you have written here, you need your 5 receiving targets to be playmakers in open space. so you're right in that you need a good group of wr's, but wrong in that you dont need a playmaking hb. this past season, hawaii rb, Alex Green, rushed for a uh single game record 327 yards against new mexico state. its also incorrect in thinking that the rb will rarely touch the ball in the run and shoot. in 2009, for instance, hawaii actually rushed for more yards than they passed for against utah state, marking the first time that that had ever happened in 11 years, since hawaii made the switch to the r&s in 1999.

while the run and shoot has always been known as a pass happy offense, its still largely a take what you can get offense, and it is extremely high risk (not low risk as you said). jeff is correct with the general rule of thumb for running the ball, and that is what makes this extremely high risk. you're going to be passing the ball a lot; the defense knows this, prepares for this, and knows what you're going to do. the only thing they dont know, is who the ball is going to go to.

on top of this, both the qb and all of the wr's need to be on the same page when reading the defensive coverage. June Jones taught his Hawaii offensive players to look for 1 of 5 kinds of defenses, in which the receivers would adjust their routes and turn it into a timing based offense. if any receiver or if the qb is off in their reads, a turnover is very likely to occur. there are too many variables in this offense for it to be considered low risk, imo.

irishfbfan1
05-16-2011, 03:26 AM
Running the ball in the Run & Shoot can still be dangerous. The rule of thumb is that if the defense has 5 or less in the box, you run the ball. So having a playmaking HB (or at least a reliable ball carrier) is still a weapon.

Good start, Hurricane.

great point Jeff, reading the box is essential to any style of offense. If the numbers are right and you got a hat on a hat then pound them. I always say this

"spread them east and west and punish them north and south for expanding"