PDA

View Full Version : After Week #7, who should be #1?

cdj
10-17-2010, 08:19 AM
With Ohio State and Nebraska losing, who should be #1 after the latest week of action?

- Auburn
- Boise State
- LSU
- Michigan State
- Oklahoma
- Oregon
- TCU
- Other

morsdraconis
10-17-2010, 09:48 AM
I'm, of course, still saying Boise State.

Should be interesting to see who is #1 in the BCS poll (probably Boise State at this point).

HWill
10-17-2010, 10:02 AM
I'm going to stick with Oregon but I also considered Boise, Oklahoma, and Auburn.

cdj
10-17-2010, 10:21 AM
Should be interesting to see who is #1 in the BCS poll (probably Boise State at this point).

Some expert at ESPN says Oklahoma, Oregon, Boise will be the top three in the BCS announced later today.

morsdraconis
10-17-2010, 11:44 AM
Some expert at ESPN says Oklahoma, Oregon, Boise will be the top three in the BCS announced later today.

Which I think is crap, but, such is what is it.

JeffHCross
10-17-2010, 12:54 PM
Anyone who says LSU needs a reality check.

JBHuskers
10-17-2010, 01:42 PM
Still sticking with Oregon this week.

JBHuskers
10-18-2010, 10:03 AM
My top 10:

1. Oregon (--)
2. Boise State (3)
3. Michigan State (8)
4. TCU (5)
5. Oklahoma (6)
6. Auburn (9)
7. LSU (7)
8. Utah (9)
9. Wisconsin (NR)
10. Missouri (NR)

Teams I'm giving a thought or two for the top ten: Alabama, Oklahoma State, Ohio State, Nebraska, Stanford

Oregon stays up top for me. Boise State has been beating teams the way they should be, and even though there is such a focus on teams they've beat losing games, as long as they continue to steamroll...I'll put them up ahead of other teams for now. Oklahoma has only one impressive win (Florida State), TCU really hasn't played anyone of note, even more so than Boise...so I'm putting Michigan State at #3 with double digits wins against Wisconsin, Michitan, and Illinois in their last three games. Wisconsin is my first one-loss team to be in the top ten, and I have them ahead of Alabama right now after looking impressive against Ohio State. And finally, I have Missouri up in the top ten as a current undefeated team with three impressive wins after squeaking by San Diego State, which is better than most expected.

steelerfan
10-18-2010, 02:08 PM
I actually switched from Oregon to OU. Oklahoma got the boost due to UT beating NU. Oklahoma has won vs FSU, Air Force and Texas and also won at Cincinnati. None of those is hugely impressive on it's own, but I don't feel that anybody else has as many wins against teams of that caliber.

Rudy
10-18-2010, 07:15 PM
OU kind of crept under the radar to nab that ranking. I think they might play Missouri and then nobody hard until the Big 12 Title game. I gave Boise St. my vote two weeks in a row.

jaymo76
10-18-2010, 11:47 PM
I'm lovin watching what Michigan St is doing (sorry Rudy). The are just a fun team to watch and it's about time they have done something like this. Fingers crossed it can continue!

Roy38
10-19-2010, 04:09 PM
I actually switched from Oregon to OU. Oklahoma got the boost due to UT beating NU. Oklahoma has won vs FSU, Air Force and Texas and also won at Cincinnati. None of those is hugely impressive on it's own, but I don't feel that anybody else has as many wins against teams of that caliber.

Don't drink the Kool-Aid yet. I'm an OU fan (since forever) and season ticket holder since 1999 and have watched or have been to every game during that span. We makes tons of mistakes which limits us both offensively and defensively. Plus, we have tons of youth and youth makes mistakes regularly. I'll admit, we are growing and getting better, but we've got a lot of road games ahead of us:
@ Missouri
vs. Colorado
@ Texas A&M
vs. Texas Tech
@ Baylor
@ Oklahoma State

We weren't good on the road last year. We lost:
vs. BYU (neutral field)
@ Miami
@ Texas (neutral field)
@ Nebraska
@ Texas Tech

Even though the schedule doesn't look daunting, we are a different team on the road. We need to learn to win on the road in a hostile environment and we haven't been tested yet. Cincinnati...maybe was a good opportunity to grow up a little, but when bad things happen, not only do you have to fight your own adversity, you have to fight the home crowd.

I don't know about the credibility of the ACC so far. We demolished FSU, Kansas beat Georgia Tech (and Kansas is horrible), Ohio State manhandled Miami, Boise State beat Virginia Tech, etc. Maybe someone who follows ACC football can share a significant win against another conference. I think the ACC is DOWN.

Air Force? Definitely tough to play as they force you out of your comfort zone, but they lost to SDSU last weekend. For a team that supposedly is challenging for the conference crown, that shouldn't happen. TCU or Utah are the cream of that conference.

Texas is where we were last year. Tons of youth and/or inexperience. Don't let their record fool you, they've got talent and they can play defense, especially against the pass. I would be extremely surprised if they lost another game this year.

steelerfan
10-19-2010, 05:40 PM
I hear you Roy, and I have no reason to believe that OU will win the MNC. The question, however, is after week #7. I don't think, at this point, anyone else has beaten as many quality opponents as OU. The Texas win took a significant boost when the 'Horns won in Lincoln. I think there are better teams than OU, but I think (to date) they have the best body of work.

Roy38
10-19-2010, 08:01 PM
I hear you Roy, and I have no reason to believe that OU will win the MNC. The question, however, is after week #7. I don't think, at this point, anyone else has beaten as many quality opponents as OU. The Texas win took a significant boost when the 'Horns won in Lincoln. I think there are better teams than OU, but I think (to date) they have the best body of work.

On paper, I think you're right. In reality, I think the body of work is questionable. I think OU is one year away from being a real contender.

Oregon scares the hell out of me. I think they'll lose a game because they're Oregon and they always seem to have one huge flop every year. That would knock them out of the picture. That offense is really scary when its clicking. Just ask Stanford about the second half of their game.

Boise State isn't overly talented, but they are coached well. They are an assignment sound football team and make few mistakes - and they're not afraid of hitting you in the mouth. They play hard and play smart. Kinda wish our talent laden team could play like them!

SEC gets a lot of publicity, but I'm not seeing it this year. Arkansas and Texas A&M are a prime example. Arkansas looked awesome for a half against Alabama, then feel apart. Then they let Texas A&M (who is pretty weak overall) hang with them and finally put them away. Ole Miss loses to Jacksonville State and hangs with Alabama. What gives?

The MNC is really up for grabs this year. I got a feeling it will be Boise State, but I don't have a clue who will step up the last half of the season and play them. Everybody in the top 10 is capable of losing any given weekend. Who wants to step up?

steelerfan
10-19-2010, 10:29 PM
I'm rooting for Oregon vs Boise. That would be an incredible match up, IMO.

You can punch holes in anyone's resume' at this point. This difference, right now, for me is that you have more holes to punch when dismissing OU than the others.

JeffHCross
10-20-2010, 11:20 PM
Air Force? Definitely tough to play as they force you out of your comfort zone, but they lost to SDSU last weekend. For a team that supposedly is challenging for the conference crown, that shouldn't happen. TCU or Utah are the cream of that conference.They did lose their senior B-Back, who is the driver for a lot of their offense, during the game. But the main problem is their QB just didn't play well from what I heard. SDSU's also doing pretty well this year, all things considered. Just ask Mizzou.

JBHuskers
10-21-2010, 12:09 PM
They did lose their senior B-Back, who is the driver for a lot of their offense, during the game. But the main problem is their QB just didn't play well from what I heard. SDSU's also doing pretty well this year, all things considered. Just ask Mizzou.

SDSU has been impressive this year.

JeffHCross
10-22-2010, 07:20 PM
Weekly look at Scott Wolf's poll:
1 TCU (Highest)
2 Oklahoma
3 Oregon
4 Boise State (Lowest)
5 LSU
6 Auburn
7 Alabama
8 Stanford
9 Utah
10 Florida State (Highest)
11 Nebraska
12 Michigan State
13 Arkansas (Highest)
14 Wisconsin
15 West Virginia (Highest)
16 Ohio State (Lowest)
17 Arizona
18 Texas
19 South Carolina
20 Mississippi State
21 Iowa (Lowest)
22 Oklahoma State
23 Missouri (Lowest)
24 USC
25 Kansas State

http://www.pollspeak.com/pollstalker/pollstalker.php?s=13&p=26&t1=&t2=&v=57&w=8&r=V&o1=&o2=&o3=&o4=&f=&seed=1287792966

Rudy
10-23-2010, 06:19 AM
Definitely some Big 10 hate there. Michigan State has to be in the Top 10. Not sure how he justifies FSU, Stanford and Nebraska ahead of them.