PDA

View Full Version : Worst Thing About Gaming? Other Gamers

cdj
10-10-2010, 06:44 AM
His statements may get taken out of context certain places, but I think he's correct. A few bad apples can ruin the entire thing, whether it be online gaming or a board.

Worst Thing About Gaming is Other Gamers, Says NBA Jam Developer (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104211-Worst-Thing-About-Gaming-is-Other-Gamers-Says-NBA-Jam-Developer)

Gamers should spend less time trash talking and tea bagging, says NBA Jam's creative director Trey Smith.

It's not uncommon to hear people complain about the bad apples of the Xbox Live or PSN, and between the name calling, the racism and the homophobia, there's plenty of reasons to avoid playing online. EA Sports' Trey Smith is even less keen on it however, saying that the negativity online is one of the biggest problem facing gaming at the moment.

It wasn't every gamer that Smith had a problem with, and he felt that the facility to play online, especially co-operatively, was one of the best things to happen to gaming in recent history. Smith's issue was with those who spent their time "spewing ignorant hate on the boards and in online games." He thought that rather than spending so much time being negative and antisocial, gamers should be working to build welcoming communities around their favorite games, and used the PAX conventions of the type of positive community he was referring to. He said that there was no problem with a little smack talk now and then, but he wished that gamers had more respect for one another.

There's not many that are going to argue with Smith: having cohesive and positive online communities for our favorite games would be wonderful for all sorts of reasons. Sadly, figuring out how to get millions of largely anonymous gamers to be nice to each other is a puzzle that is yet to be solved.

Source: MTV (http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2010/10/08/nba-jam-developer-pop-quiz-7/)

CLW
10-10-2010, 07:07 AM
LOL so he wants us to all hold hands and sing Kumbaya and live in peace and harmony while saying "Yes We Can!"? Oh and we should worship EA and all of the GREAT games they make like Elite.

Look the online gaming community is nothing more/less than our society at large today. The things he complains of is in our politics (see the vile hate from both the right and left). Its in our sports (see the vile hate between rival schools). Etc...

The gaming community is nothing more than a reflection of where society is and to some extend since most gamers are younger where society will head in the future.

cdj
10-10-2010, 07:14 AM
I didn't get the impression he wanted that :D, but rather was referring to the stereotypical Call of Duty gamer - some foul-mouthed 12-year old little kid calling everyone else '***' the entire game.

As for his part of message boards, it wasn't clear. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and think he is just referring to those who shout down differing opinions and ruin the message board experience. I didn't get the impression he was mad at criticism towards EA or any company but maybe I misread something.

I wish he instead would have mentioned the online gamer who only looks for and uses exploits all game which either chases away people online or encourages new online gamers to think that is the norm and acceptable. That is a pretty bad issue that doesn't get talked about much, IMO.

UGA14
10-10-2010, 08:33 AM
I used to talk some incredibly smack to the 12 year old Call of Duty players. I found it pretty therapeutic. Of course I could back it up with the fact that I was usually at the top of the scoreboards in those games. Now I talk junk to these idiots playing Halo... can't even believe this game is so popular. I've never played it until the new one and these guys must have no lives to be so good at it.

morsdraconis
10-10-2010, 08:47 AM
Unfortunately, welcome to online gaming since the beginning. We have Doom to think for it all since they started the LAN parties (the oldest form of online gaming) and modem to server connections. It's always been talking trash to the other players.

I hate playing games online against other people. It sucks (especially Xbox Live). Unless it's from a community of people that I know aren't assholes, I assume everyone I'm playing with is such unless otherwise proven.

Sure, yes it's partly society but it's also partly children and young adults acting like children. There are plenty of times where games don't have to be the lowest common denominator type shit. I had a BLAST playing America's Army for the PC back in the day (before they TOTALLY ruined it). Had a problem with fuckers that cheated occasionally, but, for the most part, it was good clean fun in a realistic FPS environment. But, America's Army had something that kept the normal 12 year old moron out, they had to have a decent computer to be able to play the game. Now, with PSN and Xbox Live available to anyone, you don't have that barrier anymore and it's ruining online gaming (that and these fuckin' game manufacturers making shitty FPSs that are no where close to being realistic FPS environments).

morsdraconis
10-10-2010, 08:49 AM
I used to talk some incredibly smack to the 12 year old Call of Duty players. I found it pretty therapeutic. Of course I could back it up with the fact that I was usually at the top of the scoreboards in those games. Now I talk junk to these idiots playing Halo... can't even believe this game is so popular. I've never played it until the new one and these guys must have no lives to be so good at it.

That's my feeling about all FPSs on the consoles. Some people just have absolutely no lives.

UGA14
10-10-2010, 08:51 AM
You should check out Project Reality - Battlefield 2 mod on PC if you like a decent community. I played it a lot before my computer blew up. Since it has a great sense of realism... there's essentially no kids playing it... no need to worry about idiots talking smack.

I am typically good at normal FPS games with no time spent, but Halo is just entirely different from everything I ever played.

morsdraconis
10-10-2010, 08:55 AM
You should check out Project Reality - Battlefield 2 mod on PC if you like a decent community. I played it a lot before my computer blew up. Since it has a great sense of realism... there's essentially no kids playing it... no need to worry about idiots talking smack.

I am typically good at normal FPS games with no time spent, but Halo is just entirely different from everything I ever played.

Yeah, I've played Project Reality before. It's pretty good but I don't think my computer can handle it anymore (though I haven't tried). Cool that there's actually a community for it still though. May have to look into it again.

I'm pretty good at FPSs without a shitty controller. It's the biggest hamper to my FPS console playing because it's so incredibly inaccurate.

steelerfan
10-10-2010, 01:17 PM

Oh, so you're like an adult 12-year-old? Impressive. :D:rolleyes:

UGA14
10-10-2010, 01:29 PM
Oh, so you're like an adult 12-year-old? Impressive. :D:rolleyes:

Yep. College degree and a job. The little kids can dish it out but they can't take it. I hate the little kids on Call of Duty the worst. It's hilarious when they tell me I live in my mom's basement and probably have no life.

JeffHCross
10-10-2010, 06:29 PM
The most amusing thing in that was that he uses PAX as a positive example. The idea of anything related to Penny Arcade's treatment of video games (other than Child's Play, which I support and make yearly donations to) being a positive for the industry is questionable at best.

Then again, PA isn't as bad as some other places ... so maybe he's not as far off as I initially thought.

DariusLock
10-11-2010, 12:33 PM
This is why I play in Online Dynastys and never get in the lobbies. This is also why I am a member of this community and a few others... Most people online act crazy just because they can. I also don't use a Mic when I'm playing NBA Live. I do love Call Of Duty 12 year old bashing time though...