PDA

View Full Version : How many hot routes is too many?

Coachdenz
05-14-2010, 09:50 PM
How many Hot route changes is too many? Does it matter? I was just thinking about this today at work between installing WSUS server and SysAid on 200 workstations. Any Thoughts?

JeffHCross
05-14-2010, 10:59 PM
Sup bud.

I played a guy a few weeks ago that seemed like he was changing practically every route on every pass play. Honestly, didn't even mind it. I see no reason to limit the number of hot routes called on a play.

At least offensively. Defensively there might be reasons to limit, but a good play caller could restrict your time to do that well enough to influence it, if it really was giving him problems.

Coachdenz
05-14-2010, 11:08 PM
thanks for your input

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
05-15-2010, 01:17 AM
Sup bud.

I played a guy a few weeks ago that seemed like he was changing practically every route on every pass play. Honestly, didn't even mind it. I see no reason to limit the number of hot routes called on a play.

At least offensively. Defensively there might be reasons to limit, but a good play caller could restrict your time to do that well enough to influence it, if it really was giving him problems.

are you referring to me...??? lol

i hot route a good bit sometimes, but most of the time, when i come out and dont have the look i want, i will hot route 2 people to random things, and then audible back to original play lol... QB moves him arms a lot, looks frantic, but im never changing anything... most of my stuff is just mental on your part, to force whoever i face to feel like im changing a lot of plays because im finding holes... when in reality i never change, hoping he changes based on all my chinese fire drills at the line of scrimmage... :cool:

"E"

JeffHCross
05-15-2010, 01:28 AM
Heh, it probably was you. I honestly couldn't remember when I wrote the post.

Most of the time I didn't change a thing while you were hot routing. I was doing my own changes anyway, regardless of what you did :)

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
05-15-2010, 01:41 AM
touche... you won that chess match... BARELY... cant wait until next game...

"E"

Solidice
05-15-2010, 01:43 AM
are you referring to me...??? lol

i hot route a good bit sometimes, but most of the time, when i come out and dont have the look i want, i will hot route 2 people to random things, and then audible back to original play lol... QB moves him arms a lot, looks frantic, but im never changing anything... most of my stuff is just mental on your part, to force whoever i face to feel like im changing a lot of plays because im finding holes... when in reality i never change, hoping he changes based on all my chinese fire drills at the line of scrimmage... :cool:

"E"

I do the exact same thing. I'll start randomly hot routing WRs to do different things, even if I'm running, to see if my opponent audibles or does any changes himself.

texacotea
05-15-2010, 07:46 AM
Hot routes really dont bother me but most of the time I am in the defense I want to run. I usually pick my defensive play before the offense pick thier play anyway so Im just making adjustments to get my guys in position before no matter what you do.

to answer your question the only way I see that if its too much is if you hot route till the play clock runs down ever play

Davidmj444
05-15-2010, 08:09 AM
I usually hot route half my recievers and sometimes my runningback. I don't think there can be too many hot routes. I usually send atleast one on a streak just incase tehy have cover zero and atleast one on a slant.

cdj
05-15-2010, 11:36 AM
How many Hot route changes is too many? Does it matter? I was just thinking about this today at work between installing WSUS server and SysAid on 200 workstations. Any Thoughts?

In the past some leagues limited how many hot routes you could do, but I don't think it's as big of an issue anymore. It can be tacky if someone is calling a lot each play because you'd think (hope?) that they'd just set their audibles to make it easier on themselves.

IMO, it seems like the guys who do a lot of hot routes are also going hurry-up which has been the bigger issue online in the last few years.

to answer your question the only way I see that if its too much is if you hot route till the play clock runs down ever play

I don't mind if someone runs the play clock down as it gives me more time to adjust. I do recognize that some people really dislike foes who run down the play clock all game long, but I think that can be a very legit strategy at times.

Nice question & topic, Coachdenz. :)

texacotea
05-15-2010, 11:52 AM
I don't mind if someone runs the play clock down as it gives me more time to adjust. I do recognize that some people really dislike foes who run down the play clock all game long, but I think that can be a very legit strategy at times.

Nice question & topic, Coachdenz. :)

I agree its very good strategy that alot of teams use but i guess hot routing is better than faking the snap 110 times before the clock gets to 1.

Rudy
05-15-2010, 02:01 PM
I do recognize that some people really dislike foes who run down the play clock all game long, but I think that can be a very legit strategy at times.

It's not an issue with an accelerated clock. Have any info for us on that?
:)

cdj
05-15-2010, 05:59 PM

Sorry, nothing I can say on that front. :)

JeffHCross
05-15-2010, 06:06 PM
Do. not. want.

Coachdenz
05-15-2010, 08:20 PM
Nice question & topic, Coachdenz.

thanks that's what I was shooting for 8 )

JBHuskers
05-17-2010, 12:24 AM
Kinda depends on the situation. If I had to rush to call a play, I would like to at least set up routes for my guys so I know where they're going. In a normal situation, I really only do it if I see something in the defense.

steelerfan
05-17-2010, 12:45 AM
The only time I can remember thinking that hot routing was cheese was the old "hot route the HB to a streak and motion him out of the backfield" routine. Other than that, I've never really felt too cheated by it.

Jayrah
05-17-2010, 03:06 AM

This was my thought on what I saw from the VGRevolution interview with Russ a while back. This of course could still be tuned from that point, but here's my quote From Utopia:

We can clearly see that the clock is not glitching down as it did last year, right at the 8:58 mark of that video. It is just like Madden's clock last year except for 1 aspect. It's AT 40 seconds, and you can set the option to take the play clock down too (the 30 second mark in this case), but it properly rolls the game clock with it. So it's not glitching, it's in a speed roll basically to a set point of time. The different aspect is that in Madden you would pick your play and as the players went to the line, then the play/game clocks (if the game clock would normally be in motion) would roll down, and here it looks like it rolls immediately as you enter your playcall screen. Don't know if I like that difference in particular, but it looks like I can set a full 15:00 game this year and not loose 2 hrs! Hooray! *Some of you won't care about the longer game in particular, but it should have the option to turn off so that you have the full 40 second clock.

Rudy
05-17-2010, 05:44 AM
I fully expect a true accelerated clock this year. It will just be a formality when announced unless someone slips up here. :)

texacotea
05-17-2010, 09:41 AM
I fully expect a true accelerated clock this year. It will just be a formality when announced unless someone slips up here. :)

Dont think they will do that...but I dont mind the acc clock. Worked for me and against me when I used it. wait are we talking about "chew clock"?

Rudy
05-17-2010, 10:03 AM
Chew clock could be turned on or off by either the user or the cpu during a game. I want a true accelerated clock which is always on and makes clock management more realistic. I normally use 7 minute quarters but I don't feel I should start milking clock until about 3:00 or less because I think it's cheap. If I use a true accelerated clock the game management helps remove that cheap feeling. Madden had it last year so I think this will be a simple but nice addition to NCAA 11.

texacotea
05-17-2010, 10:42 AM
Chew clock could be turned on or off by either the user or the cpu during a game. I want a true accelerated clock which is always on and makes clock management more realistic. I normally use 7 minute quarters but I don't feel I should start milking clock until about 3:00 or less because I think it's cheap. If I use a true accelerated clock the game management helps remove that cheap feeling. Madden had it last year so I think this will be a simple but nice addition to NCAA 11.

OK now that I am on the4 same page, whats the point in using an accelerated clock on 12 min quarters than playing with a normal clock on 7 mins? I think that if you get the same avg number of plays off in 7 mins there is no reason to use an accelerated clock. I myself found no use for this feature. I would just rather play on 7-8 mins quarters that have the clock speeding through 12mins qrtrs just to say I play on 12 min qrtrs.

JBHuskers
05-17-2010, 11:04 AM
To me, even though it was a little longer than your standard game, I loved playing 15 minute quarters with 25 sec acceleration on Madden. To me, stats ended up being pretty real, and the game would take maybe 50-55 mins.

texacotea
05-17-2010, 11:41 AM
To me, even though it was a little longer than your standard game, I loved playing 15 minute quarters with 25 sec acceleration on Madden. To me, stats ended up being pretty real, and the game would take maybe 50-55 mins.

is it really that much of a difference than playing 7-8 mins quarters?

pbplayer178
05-17-2010, 11:47 AM
I liked the Madden clock system. I played 15 min quarters with 20 or 25 run off I don't remember. I don't mind when people hot route a lot, but I don't think they should be able to have 20+ seconds at the line unless it was a no huddle. Most times in real life the equivalent to the games hot route is a nod or some sort of hand single between the QB and receiver to show they are reading the same thing. Teams may do this a few times every game in the NFL and probably even less in college.

Rudy
05-17-2010, 11:49 AM
is it really that much of a difference than playing 7-8 mins quarters?

It's not so much the difference in total plays but game management. It's not a game killer to not have it for me but it is a nice feature that makes clock management more realistic. How realistic is it for someone to kill off an entire quarter (if you play 5 minutes) or more by stalling and/or running the football? If you use an accelerated clock a long, time consuming drive will still be under one quarter like it should be.

steelerfan
05-17-2010, 12:21 PM
I am all for a good accelerated clock feature. I'd absolutely love to have the ability to realistically play 15 minute quarters. If for no other reason than to eliminate the "cheap" feeling of using Chew Clock too early. Also, I'd like to be able to look at realistic Time of Possession numbers and to look at a Box Score that doesn't show that every score occurred with under 8 minutes to play in the quarter (I used 8 minute quarters in 10).

Sinister
05-19-2010, 07:44 AM
first i like to hot route once i see the defense and don't like what i see , secondly the only time i hated the accel clock on madden is when I can't find the play I'm looking for. I think there are some hot routes mainly smoke that needs to be in the game.