PDA

View Full Version : NBA 2K19 - Game Discussion and Impressions

cdj
08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
With 'The Prelude' now available and the game releasing next week, use this thread for questions, comments, and thoughts on NBA 2K19.

Rudy
09-02-2018, 09:30 AM
Good preview from Forbes. Likes playmaker thing, improved defence and less clipping.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brianmazique/2018/09/01/nba-2k19-prelude-review-and-hands-on-impression-from-new-york-event/amp/

cdj
09-02-2018, 08:51 PM
I had a pretty good experience with The Prelude so far. Got a good facescan (first time in four years, I think) and thought the game played pretty well. My only annoyance with The Prelude is that it will always make you go into halftime of the final game (vs NBA Stars) down 10. I was up 12 or so when they put me on the bench. Cutscene played, came back to the third and trailed. I know it's necessary for the storyline, but it sure seemed cheap and tacky. It was my only issue in the three games. The storyline seems way better than the last few years as well.

Rudy
09-03-2018, 04:46 AM
I wish there was a true NBA demo and not just the single player stuff. Just not interested.

Rudy
09-13-2018, 06:54 AM
I've ready really positive things about this game. One of the biggest positive comments has been about the increased defense. Many have trashed 2K18's lack of it. While I personally found defending manually difficult last year I still enjoyed the game with slider tweaks. On the same issue, there is a small minority that feels defensive players can ride and disrupt offensive players too much and that the game feels like it's moving in mud. Not sure what to expect. I may just keep NBA 2K18 until I try 19.

Rudy
10-15-2018, 09:33 AM
There are a lot of complaints about sticky defenders. Some sliders seem to help.

To be honest I still like NBA 2K18. I enjoyed that game a lot. I had no problem with it being more offensive oriented. My stick skills aren't super strong so with some slider adjustments I really didn't have any issues. I couldn't abuse the pick and roll either. My biggest complaint was not having the pump fake work.

Anybody playing this? Comment on the defensive suction? Some videos look bad where slow players can stick/stay with elite players. Still looking to pick this up on sale on Black Friday.

Rudy
10-16-2018, 07:52 PM
Well EB Games had an opening day sale of $50 and I bought it. I really still like 2k18 bit I hated seeing SVG on the sideline for the Pistons. Plus I didn’t like the loom of Kennard. It wasn’t his face and he is too blonde. This year he still isn’t quite right imo.

I had read about the suffocating defence of the game (I liked the flowing offense of 18) so I tweaked some sliders right away. I like the Broadcast General camera and heard some new commentary which is still excellent. My shooting was garbage early on. I didn’t even shoot FT that well. I do not like how they don’t show the FT percentage anymore. Just shot feedback and player rating. I’m jacking my shooting sliders a bit.

I did get the cpu with a pump fake although they recover a bit too quick imo. I’ve also read that the cpu doesn’t take enough 3s. Played against Minny and they only took 4 all game and got 0 bench points lol (6 minute quarters). I’ve boosted cpu 3 pt tendency to 90 as it was recommended. Minny isn’t an outside shooting team so will take Toronto tomorrow and see how I do.

I like it so far with only one game in. Definitely more defensive out of the box.

Rudy
10-17-2018, 04:37 AM
I do like that they added a layup shot meter. The presentation overlay graphics have been updated a bit. Cpu cuts a bit more to the basket but even with maxing out 3 point tendency slider I’m not seeing enough shots from beyond the arc for the cpu. I’ve also lowered the other offensive tendencies to help. Really not sure how much they work.

I love that Floppy is one of the first plays for Pistons guards (at least Bullock and Kennard). I don’t use set plays often but this is nice this year. I’m sure you can customize stuff but I’m lazy lol. Pistons run off screens more now in the new offence freelance style too (I have auto plays on).

Love the pump fake. Not being able to use it last year wasn’t good. Doesn’t work every time but it’s nice. The step back jumper is easier for me to use now. Just tap square to step back while on the move and then shoot.

Rudy
10-19-2018, 03:55 PM
I see too many 3 in the key calls. I don’t really want to see any. Players are smart. Get out.

The defence kind of annoys me in this game. I liked the free flowing 2k18. In this game defenders can just sort of lay-off, sort of glide and always get in your way. Blow by moves are incredibly difficult. I guess I need more work on the sticks. I’d like to see defenders challenge the ball a little more and also make themselves a little more prone to getting beat.

Also, cpu is shooting a nice amount of 3s now by maxing out that tendency and putting almost everything else at 25.

Edit: saw my first jump ball mid game. Never saw that last year I don’t think.

I would like to be able to skip some presentation elements faster. I swear I want to smack the guy on the bicycle they show after they return from halftime. If you won’t let me skip some stuff at least be more varied in the cut scenes.

Rudy
10-19-2018, 07:14 PM
Just trying to put more thoughts into the one on one isolation play within a normal game. You shouldn’t be able to just blow by guys normally unless you are an elite player. Ish Smith on the Pistons can often drive past people because he’s super quick (averaged the fastest speed during games of all players in the NBA last year) although he can’t shoot that well or even finish at the rim well due to his size. But he should be able to drive more easily and kick.

I think part of the issue I see is that in the NBA they move the ball around a lot and players are able to get penetration off of aggressive close outs and maybe a pump fake. Pump fakes didn’t work at all last year and work a little bit this year (always been much easier in Live - maybe too easy). I’d like to see them work more off of close outs on good shooters. That would allow more natural penetration without having to rely solely on screens to try to get to the hoop. At default it’s just really sticky to try to simply isolate and drive by someone. Maybe I want it to be unrealistically easier to do this but I think you need it more to offset the extra difficulty to get to the hoop in other situations.

Is there any slider adjustment (defensive IQ?) you can make to get the cpu to bite on pump fakes more?

Rudy
10-20-2018, 05:55 AM
I quit after this. Bucks were killing me. Shooting the lights out and Giannis dominating with 27 on 12-16 shooting.

https://twitter.com/rudyjuly2/status/1053599551112835075?s=21

Rudy
10-20-2018, 08:03 AM
You can definitely get some mismatches more on switches off screens. Backing down a small guard with a big can be fun and laughable when you get it.

Rudy
10-21-2018, 03:37 PM
I think the defence in this game is like two defensive powerhouses playing in game 7 of the finals. I certainly didn’t see good defence in the Pistons-Bulls game last night lol. Tons of blow bys and easy penetration into the key. Game went too far the other way from 2k18 imo. I’ve played at least 15 games now on a modified All Star and I lose the majority of them. Sliders are getting there though. Thankfully there are many but I need this game to be easier. I also need to step up my sticks. My r-stick moves are weak.

I did have this sweet blow by and dunk this morning. Sliders nearly there!

https://twitter.com/rudyjuly2/status/1053952302564945920?s=21

Rudy
10-23-2018, 12:04 PM
Damn. Did a Play Now game with the Raptors against Charlotte. Lost 80-73. Kemba went off for 35. They were 13-23 from downtown. Pretty hard to beat a team that hot. Plus they went 17/18 from the FT line. A few big makes down the stretch screwed me. As you can see, I've got the cpu shooting 3s and there wasn't much defense in that game (only 6 minute quarters!).

I still need to work on my stick skills. I need to work on my fade-away jumper out of the post. I like the step back but I still mess up touching the shot stick sometimes. My dribble moves are weak. I just spam on the r-stick and pray something works lol.

Rudy
12-05-2018, 03:36 PM
I don’t know if it’s recent tuning or if franchise is harder than Play Now but I am 1-7 in franchise. The cpu is shooting very well while I’m struggling more than normal. Have to tweak things more in my favour. I really don’t like how they don’t show the FT percentage success rate anymore. My team is shooting 66 to 68% from the line. I struggle more than I should. It’s tougher this year on all star. I wish there was a direct slider for it with the shooting sliders. They have it in settings but you have to lower it to make it easier unlike the normal shooting sliders and it affects both sides apparently although the cpu should be using real percentage.

I just lost Drummond for 1-2 weeks with a bruised lung but I’m guessing my 29 game season won’t miss much.

Rudy
12-06-2018, 12:22 PM
I don't know if it was because the game updated half way through my game but I save at the start of the 3rd quarter and when I rebooted it gave the Celtics the ball with 15 seconds left in the first half! I had made a stop initially and then they get a bucket. Was not happy!

Rudy
12-27-2018, 07:17 PM
Lately I have noticed that Greg Anthony is one of the announcers almost all the time. Doris Burke is barely on. And some Webber lines are really quiet.

Had a horrible first season (29 games) and finished third last 9-20. But they blew the lottery. I fell 2 spots to 5 in a draft where I really liked 4 players. And as expected I lost out on all 4. Got a nice player at 5 bit more defensive and not a great outside shooter. I love importing draft classes and having real kids. Zion was projected first but ended up second after Barrett.

Draft day trades were much better this year. So many stupid trades last year, particularly during the draft where teams suddenly devalue the pick they just made and dumped them. That is fixed. In free agency it seems good except for cheap mid-tier veterans. Much like Madden you can sign good depth players for near minimum salaries. Too easy in that department imo.

I’m 6-5 in my second year and should be 7-4 outside a power glitch robbing me of a win vs the Celtics. I’ve got my sliders finally good but this year require so much more work imo. From stealing to pass deflections to inflated close shooting percentages to super defence I found it a lot harder. Still enjoying it.

cdj
01-05-2019, 09:04 PM
I've been playing MyCareer quite a bit over the last week and really enjoying it in spite of the huge grind to get your player to be highly-rated. Though, I feel like you can still be a very good player, but with weaknesses, with a lower OVR. I'm up to a 71 OVR right now and in late December, also just earning a shoe deal (picked adidas) after hitting 500K fans.

For some reason, I've been able to get into and enjoy 2K19 way more than any previous version of the game even though it's not worldly different.

Rudy
01-07-2019, 01:07 PM
I've just never got into those modes. I should probably give Live another shot at some point but I didn't care for the demo after loving 2K18. I didn't like the player movement. Maybe sliders could fix some of that stuff. Not sure but I kind of doubt it. Game has been super cheap for awhile now. Like $9.99 US or $12.99 Canadian.